Cubase condenses almost three decades of Steinberg expertise into the most cutting-edge digital audio workstation anywhere. The users of our flagship DAW are among the most successful artists on the globe — from engineers recording and mixing rock albums to dance DJs, hip hop producers, songwriters creating pop hits or film composers scoring for Hollywood blockbusters. Cubase combines industry-leading sound quality, intuitive handling and a range of advanced audio and MIDI tools for composition, recording, editing and mixing.
Steinberg has pioneered many aspects of MIDI sequencing on a computer, and tools such as the Score, Drum and List Editors have become indispensable to modern music production. With easy-to-use editing and innovative composing and notation tools, Cubase offers the most complete MIDI composing and sequencing toolset available today.
At the heart of MIDI sequencing in Cubase is the Key Editor: a breathtakingly powerful yet transparent tool that opens up virtually limitless possibilities for songwriters and composers. The Key Editor is the place where melodies, chords, arrangements and performances take shape and where ideas are sketched out, developed and taken to their full potential.
- Intuitive handling: enter, cut, move and transpose individual notes or whole chords with ease.
- Inspector provides smooth and intuitive access to the most important MIDI tools and functions in one central spot.
- Note Expression integration: assign, create and edit multiple controller values directly on single note level in the Key Editor.
- In-place editing function: process MIDI parts directly in the Project window in context with other tracks.
The Score Editor is a professional notation environment with full support for just about all symbol, display and editing options that this entails, including support for lyrics and remarks as well as drum notes, guitar tablature and lead sheets. Simply select the tools needed to create fully professional score layouts for others including soloists, orchestras and choirs.
- Professional music notation and score editing environment
- Hundreds of professional notation symbols included
- Music XML import and export
- VST Expression 2 integration
VST Expression is absolutely brilliant. It makes perfect sense.
— Hans Zimmer
VST Expression 2
VST Expression is a groundbreaking technology by Steinberg that provides an ultra-intuitive way of working with instrument articulations, dynamics and multiple controller values. Its second generation is based on three core technologies: Note Expression, Expression Maps and VST Dynamics. Expression Maps help you work with musical articulations, while VST Dynamics allow for highly intuitive handling of dynamics.
On top of this, Note Expression offers a revolutionary approach to create and edit multiple controller values in a single graphical interface, directly on the note they belong to — an invaluable feature for demanding orchestral arrangements as well as cutting-edge electronic music.
Cubase 7 highlights a global Chord Track to facilitate working with chords in a project context and enables transform and harmonize functions throughout the application. Advanced voicing options are used to reflect any changes made to the Chord Track to both MIDI and audio tracks processed with VariAudio in a harmonically correct and ear-pleasing way.
- Easy working with chords within your Project window
- Cubase detects the harmony structure of your song
- Enter chords directly within the Key Editor
- Integrates with Chorder plug-in, HALion Sonic and HALion Sonic SE
You don't have to be a musical genius to lay down beautiful harmonies when you're using Cubase. The powerful Chord Assistant helps you to generate everything from simple pop to complex jazz chord sequences that just sound great. Want to specify both the first and final chords but have no clue how to get there? This, also, is possible. The Chord Assistant lists chord suggestions from which you can choose — it's all just a click away.
- Generates beautifully harmonic chord progressions
- Ideal for bridging chords but can also continue progressions
Steinberg’s wealth of engineering experience in digital audio stretching back over nearly three decades provides the basis for its state-of-the-art recording capabilities. With its emphasis not only on technology but also on user friendliness and ergonomics, Cubase provides everything you need to record your audio with ease and utmost quality.
Next-generation audio engine
The award-winning Cubase audio engine delivers a crystal-clear 32-bit floating-point resolution and 192 kHz sample rate, with a pristine sound quality that is the hallmark of the Cubase music production experience. The audio engine includes true surround capability throughout, with each track and channel offering up to six discreet channels, ready for 5.1 surround.
- Retrospective Record: no take ever gets lost because record mode wasn’t engaged in time
- Exemplary FX handling: any VST plug-in can be recorded with the signal, or simply used for monitoring while the untouched, pristine signal is recorded in Cubase
- Intuitive user interface supports even the largest recording rigs, with easy-to-use folders, customizable Track views and custom color schemes for Tracks that differentiate track types at a glance
- Effortless I/O handling: the VST Connections window allows you to not only setup custom I/O setups and customize port names but also switch between different I/O setups on the fly
Engineered exclusively for Steinberg’s audio production systems and unavailable on any other software workstation, the Control Room is a unique recording and monitoring environment seamlessly integrating performer mixes and monitoring setups into your recording and mixing workflow.
Cubase allows you to create and manage up to four unique studio mixes feeding performers their own tailored mix, to use the integrated talkback function, manage audio sources feeding from tape, CD or DVD — all seamlessly integrated in the Cubase MixConsole.
A powerful sample editor, smart multi-track editing, fast take-comping, totally integrated vocal editing and pitch alteration of monophonic signals — Cubase provides all this and much more, allowing you to edit audio with peerless precision and unprecedented speed.
The Sample Editor allows you almost limitless creative freedom while editing audio. A full editing toolset offers a huge range of functions that not only cover common editing tasks right down to the sample level. Cubase is the complete production environment for fast, intuitive and qualitatively outstanding audio tools that allow you to manipulate your recordings in almost any way imaginable.
- State-of-the-art transient and tempo detection: optimize the timing, feel and flavor of live-recorded drum tracks
- Intuitive audio quantization
- Easy drum replacement
Intelligent transient detection
Cubase comes with an accurate transient detection function based on a state-of-the-art algorithm. Finding all drum hits is a breeze, thanks to the intuitive preview feature and two specialized filters. With this powerful tool at hand, you can detect single hits, rolls and ghost notes faster and more accurate than ever before.
Advanced tempo detection
Cubase features a reliable tempo detection algorithm, which accurately determines the tempo of any rhythmic audio material. The resulting tempo map can be used to keep the dynamic feeling of natural tempo variations or to remove unwanted tempo changes quickly.
Straightforward drum replacement
The bass drum needs some extra punch? The snare drum doesn’t cut through the mix? With the Hitpoint-to-MIDI function, it is very easy to replace, double or enrich live-recorded drum sounds. When the transients have been detected, a single click creates a MIDI track with a MIDI note for each drum hit. From here, it’s up to you which sampler or synth you want to fuel.
Multitrack phase-accurate audio quantization
Cubase offers an intuitive toolset for phase-accurate quantization across multiple tracks. Overcoming the differences between audio and MIDI, Cubase allows you to quantize audio material just like any MIDI note, offering numerous possibilities to fix timing issues and to change the groove and feel of live-recorded drums and percussion instruments. To preserve phase relationships between tracks, the individual slices on all tracks are still grouped and moved at once. It's never been easier to lock those grooves together.
Cubase also allows you to warp-quantize multiple audio tracks at once using the convenient Quantize panel. By creating warp markers straight from hitpoints, both single audio loops as well as the entire arrangement can be non-destructively quantized with a single mouse click — just like MIDI parts! And because the audio events are warped instead of sliced, they automatically follow any tempo or pitch changes of your project while remaining unclutterd for easy arrangements.
Ultra-fast take comping
Building the perfect take has never been that easy — with the intuitive Lane Track concept. When recording several takes, Cubase instantly creates a Lane Track for each take. From here, it’s just a short way to perfection: simply swipe across the best parts and Cubase automatically creates a master take that contains all selected parts. In addition, the Comp tool offers handy click-and-drag features for immediate results.
Smart multi-track editing
Simple and efficient — Track Edit Groups tie together what belongs together. When recording a guitar for example, it is common to record signals from different amps, microphone types or distances on separate tracks. With Track Edit Groups activated, related tracks are tied together and can be edited at once, making this feature a huge time-saver in the studio.
VariAudio offers completely integrated vocal editing and pitch alteration of individual notes in monophonic vocal recordings and can solve intonation and timing problems with a few clicks. Editing vocal lines in the Sample Editor is just as seamless and quick as if editing MIDI notes in the Key Editor.
The full integration with the Chord Track ensures correct pitch to your harmonies at all times! This interaction also lets you harmonize your lead vocals in beautifully composed choral arrangements. Plus, you can even edit multiple VariAudio parts across multiple tracks within one editor only. And yes, the popular autotuning effect is no big deal!
Cubase provides a complete mixing environment that not only equips you to produce stunning mixes in stereo or surround, but allows you to tailor your mixing workflow to suit your own personal artistic and creative vision.
Stellar mixing with MixConsole
Cubase's MixConsole excels not only in terms of usability, look and feel, but also sounds better than anything before it — it’s in the mix!
- 32-bit floating-point mixing engine with 128 physical inputs and outputs, 8 inserts per channel, 64 FX sends, 256 groups/busses and unlimited routing between audio channels, busses, groups and FX
- Entirely scalable and dedicated full-screen mode
- View Sets and Channel Zones for utmost flexibility
- Control Link groups and Quick Link system for channel parameters
- Customizable track icons and track notepad
- Supports drag-and-drop throughout the mixer
High-end channel strip for every channel
Integrated into each single Cubase channel and carefully crafted in close collaboration with seasoned mixing engineers, the channel strip modules offer that epic pro-console sound that lets you turn your songs into a hard-hitting, radio-ready production.
- Epic pro-studio sound built right into every channel
- High and low-pass filters plus 4-band StudioEQ with spectrum analyzer, noise gate and 3 compressors
- Enveloper Shaper fully controls attack and release
- Brickwall Limiter and Loudness Maximizer modules
- Includes over 300 presets by US producer Allen Morgan
Workflows for professionals
MixConsole is dedicated to professionals working regularly with the mixer. Here are some of the features that let you cut down on mixing time and zero in on getting creative:
- Dynamic inserts and sends provide streamlined overview
- A/B comparison and global bypass of all audio effects
- Plug-in & channel search function
- Full Control Room integration, including talkback and four different cue mixes
- Optimized for mouse-free operation: virtually all channel elements are accessible by blind reader software & through the computer keyboard
Remote control support throughout
The Remote Control Editor lets you visually customize the parameter layout of individual effects and instruments on your control surface. It supports Avid System 5 MC, Avid Artist Series, Mackie Control, Steinberg Houston, WK-Audio’s ID, Yamaha DM2000 and more right out of the box. As simple as it sounds — just select a hardware knob or button and chose which parameter to control.
Plus, with the intuitive Quick Controls you get a set of eight user-definable realtime controllers that can be assigned to any parameter on the current track by simply right-clicking a VST 3 plug-in or instrument control — perfect in combination with a remote controller.
Needless to say, Cubase can be fully controlled via the elegant and technological thought-after surface of the Nuage controller hardware.
Read more on Nuage
Mixing for surround or thinking of moving to surround? Cubase's fully surround-capable architecture puts extensive surround capabilities at your command. All included VST 3 audio effects are fully surround-ready, intelligently adapting their I/O configuration as required for mono, stereo or surround. With its complete multi-channel audio signal path from input to output and the ability to export to the MP3 surround format for convenient delivery and distribution, Cubase offers a consistent end to end surround workflow.
The automation handling in Cubase provides a dedicated automation panel for quick access to all automation functions. The enhanced transparency and flexibility provides professionals with the capability to set up a complete automation within minutes and control the session clearly. Smart scaling tools offer a highly intuitive user experience when working with automation data, including simultaneous editing of several events and an dramatically streamlined look-and-feel.
Collaborate and distribute
What's more, VST Connect SE lets you connect directly to other Cubase 7 users, giving you the freedom to collaborate and produce together, even when you’re not in the same studio, town or country. And once you're done, you can upload sounds and mixes directly to SoundCloud. Plus, Cubase allows you to connect ReWire client applications in a 64-bit as well as a 32-bit environment under Windows & Mac OS X.
Sidechain inputs for VST 3 plug-ins
Sidechain inputs are available on most VST 3 plug-ins included with Cubase. Thanks to the "free routing" architecture, virtually any signal in the VST mixer can be used as a sidechain input signal. Sidechain is a crucial function for audio-controlled effects such as ducking (compression controlled by an audio source), but can be used creatively in many ways (for example controlling the LFO in modulation effects).
Total export — to almost any audio file type
Cubase supports almost all standard formats, including AIFF, Sound Designer II, Wave, Wave 64, Broadcast Wave, MP3 and MP3 surround and Windows Media Audio Pro. Plus, the Channel Batch Export feature allows the export of a multiple selection of mixer channels to audio files. Channel Batch Export is also an ideal way to free up system resources — with all files and VSTi tracks exported to audio tracks.
Open GL video engine
Cubase also sports an Open GL accelerated QuickTime video engine with full HD support, scalable performance and the ability to play out videos via FireWire.
Instruments & effects
Outstanding VST effects
Cubase 7 offers a one-of-its-kind collection of quality VST effect processors, including studio-grade EQ, dynamic, modulation, reverb, filter, distortion and special effects. Together with the included "Legacy Set" of original Cubase SX effects, Cubase 7 offers a total of 66 real-time audio effects right out of the box, making it Steinberg’s most complete plug-in set ever.
- Channel strip modules for epic pro-console sound, including top-end compressors, analog tape saturation and brickwall limiter
- REVerence: Top-end multi-channel convolution reverb processor
- Voxengo CurveEQ: 64-band spline EQ with linear and minimum-phase modes and spectrum analyzer
- VST Amp Rack infuses your guitar tracks with drive, punch and clarity
- PitchCorrect for automatic intonation control of monophonic audio sources
Premium VST instruments
Cubase 7 delivers a rich palette of finest virtual instruments and each of them comes ready to play with hundreds of fantastic preset sounds — amounting to over 2,800 sounds right out of the box
- Retrologue virtual analog synth for fat and funky lead & bass sounds
- Padshop granular synth for spacious spheres and evolving textures
- HALion Sonic SE offers more than 1,200 production-ready sounds based on the acclaimed HALion technology
- Groove Agent ONE: Powerful drum sampler with detailed sound shaping options
- LoopMash 2: First-of-its-kind interactive loop synthesizer
All included plug-ins
Check out our detailed overview on all included VST instruments, effects and MIDI plug-ins and listen to audio demos.
Explore the Cubase line-up
Yes, there's the right version for any budget — so find out what is yours!