C6 Bug ? - Bounce Selected

I don’t know if this is a bug or if the functionality has been changed - although I can’t think why it would be.

Bounce Selected (contextual menu in the arrange page) turns several selected audio clips or Parts into a single new audio file.

Selected audio files in the arrange page would have start / end points that corresponded with the 1st / last clip you were bouncing down.

If you selected a Part though, the resultant audio files start / end points were the same as the Part they were in - so not related to the audio in the part. This made it easy to say bounce an exact 8 bar audio file from a number of chop files.

This has now broken or been changed - the results from bouncing a part are exactly the same as bouncing the files out of a part.

Bit of a step back in functionality if this is intentional.

How do you now consolidate tracks to export a mix now ? :confused:

Well, you can export tracks via the Export Audio page as you could before. Maybe this is what Steinberg now wants us to do now even though it’s flawed compared to Nuendo’s version :imp:

However as you say, the quick way of simply creating new track length audio files directly in the arrange page is currently busted.

This happens here too. I don’t know if this is bug or not, but audio events inside parts are not bounced according to part size, but according to audio events size.
You have to dissolve part and use range select tool to bounce events (or bounce with range select tool inside part), if you want some space before and after the events.

Oh no, that sounds infuriating. This is a feature I use in every session (mostly for creating drum parts out of chopped pieces, then bouncing them as loops). I’ve not yet tried it, as I only just received Cubase 6 and haven’t yet installed it.

Has anyone raised this as a bug with Steinberg?

Breame

Interesting… I’ve just checked both manuals (C5 and C6) about this, and they both read EXACTLY the same. Neither explains what happens to events that are not contiguous inside parts, when bounced - they just state in general terms that it can be done…

So, I don’t remember trying Bounce Selection in C5 on Audio Parts though I did use this extensively, by highlighting a string of Audio Events and then bouncing - and its always worked fine. Thankfully, seems like that is still the case in C6 - phew…!

Not at my machine, so can’t check C5 right now… sorry… (C6 has arrived (nice…!) - but won’t install until I clear a couple of jobs that I was given Monday, in C5. I just can’t risk any upheaval - especially since I’m going to try it on Vista32… (gulp…!)

Anyhow, some SB comment maybe…?

Does it not work if you simply select the entire Part with the Range tool?

Yes it does.
And if the events were in a part, then the resulting bounced event will also end up in a part.
(if the events aren’t in a part, the resulting bounced event isn’t either).

Well yes - the range tool does work, but utterly useless if you want to use the command on several selected parts at once!

If this is a change of functionality, then it’s a big step backwards as a very useful function has been lost.

There was nothing wrong with the way it used to work - the use of Parts gave you all the options you could need.

Hopefully this is a bug and can be fixed.

So, I was wrong - sounds like this really is broken/changed behaviour…

Please SB, whats the deal with this…? It is functionality I am using a lot in C5 - highlighting different events/parts (not necessarily on same track) and using Bounce Selected. The Range tool is obviously not an option here.

Noted for further examination. (28081)

Hum… :frowning: I use it a lot…

So bounce, freeze, batch export dialog (two steps forward , two back, very half baked … search for MEAP in the old forum), the dropping of the external editor from the VST32 > SX paradigmn shift and other related commands are now the Achilles heel of Cubase. They are very closely related from a user perspective … which could be seen a good thing.

Now I’ve been wrong before but it doesn’t seem that they’re very optimized to pull in the same direction? I’ve been thinking for some time that it might be a good idea to drop all of the above and start on a new slate?
Drop the names and start at a root and building it all up without the burden of how it used to work, then rename all of it and if the old names still fit, then good, reuse them. No need to change the looks of it even, come to think of it.

We’re talking audio files here .wav/.aiff with start points and endpoints plus number crunching for processing them and eventually presenting them on a screen … and even playing them back through the monitors hehe!
On the surface it doesn’t look like too much research to make it work but there’s probably more to it than meets the eye? Undo history for one …

To me it would make a lot of sense to take a look at this since it seems the commands are fighting each other and sometimes even themselves just to do what they’re designed to do. I only see it from a users view though, so maybe I’m wrong? It ought to work already and it would be great to see some integration in C7 but maybe they already have written the list for that into stone mountain wall?

Having a brand new streamlined audio file thingie like that which just WORKS to present at NAMM 2012 would probably increase the value of Cubendo to a lot of people, me thinks? Or maybe it’s not the way it works at all?

Hopefully this is a bug and can be fixed.

So it is. Fixed. Will be in next update.

Nice, thanks!