Search found 23 matches

Return

Re: Thunderbolt

In my opinion Thunderbolt is one of the most over-hyped "technologies". It's nothing new, just 2 older iterface busses squeezed into one connector/cable.

It's just another example of artificially trying to make older equipment look obsolete.
by Jarno
Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase AI5 user - Mixer or Control Surface?

AJT1973 wrote:My budget is around £300.

Definitely a control surface! You are not going to get any decent mixing console in that price range (multiple your budget with 10 and you may have some options). And within your budget you already have chosen the right one: the B-brand thing.
by Jarno
Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR22, 32bit float

1. Why are you using ASIO4ALL and not UR22's native driver?
2. There is no commercial 32-bit a/D or D/A converters. If driver let's you choose "32-bit" option it only means the bit reduction is done inside the driver/digital hardware instead of your DAW (which may or may not be better than reduction inside the DAW depending on driver/hardware/usage profile).
by Jarno
Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best way to transfer edits from laptop to my studio desktop?

Rename your project folder on your desktop (or move it somewhere else) and copy project folder from the laptop to your desktop. After checking the project from laptop is running smoothly you can delete the old (renamed, moved) folder.
by Jarno
Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Signatures, signatures...... (??)

My signature is just kind of a joke. After finding out how some people put all insignificant pieces of hardware/software there, I decided to make my signature as complete as possible ... as you may find out if you read the last line 8-)
by Jarno
Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creating Vocal Harmonies

I often use Melodyne for vocal harmonies ... but only for testing purpose: check out how some kind of harmony would sound and after making decisions just ditch Melodyne harmonies and sing them myself.

But when working with talented singers (that's anyone else that myself) I try to avoid using Melodyne alltogether. If they are there behind Microphones I just try to hum them what I would like them to sing ... a lot faster than dragging those blobs up and down on the computer screen.
by Jarno
Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Signatures, signatures...... (??)

swamptone wrote:the only folks that have NO problems, have no gear

:lol: how true
by Jarno
Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Proposed new DAW ... any comments/suggestions appreciate

It's a good package, but let me give few observations (in order of importance):

NIC/Internet LinkSys WUSB6300 IEEE 802.11ac - Wi-Fi Adapter USB - 867 Mbps

Are you sure you want a WiFi net adapter. Every special extra hardware in DAW is unneccessary IMO.

Dual Head Video AMD-ATI Radeon 5450 1GB fanless 1DVI, 1VGA, 1 HDMI

Isn't onboard graphics enough? Then you must be a gamer. In that case at least Radeon 7750 fanless ... or even something more powerful, but then you have no fanless option.

Power Supply: 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certiied Active PFC Pwr Supply

As you are (based on your choises) aiming for low-noise PC, how about fanless PSU?

OS Programs Drive: Seagate 500G 16Meg Sata 600 1 yr warranty ST500DM002

How about 250G SSD? Boots faster, launches programs faster, less noise, not that much more expensive.

Quieting/Xtra Cooling: ADK-ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB Noctua

Again ... that option with acoustic treatment would make you PC even more quiet.

Processor: Intel- Core i5 4570 Haswell 3.2GHz Quad 6 meg cache NO HT

If you still have money left, get i7 4770
by Jarno
Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have made the (for me) difficult decision to make this my general use home computer as well
I can see that. My studio PCs have always also been a general-purpose PCs ... and it hasn't been a problem to me ... just requires extra care when installing any software. But I always use wired ethernet instead of wireless, when possible (have some 100m/300ft of ethernet cables in my house). 2 reasons for this:
1. Every additional hardware/driver is a possible source of problems. So why not use motherboard's ethernet connection and a cable to connect to the router.
2. In the past I have had horrible DPC latency problems with numerous wireless devices. So I have decided: no single wireless device connected to my DAW, not even wireless keyboard or mouse, (unless it's DAW-specific device, like my Frotier Tranzport). Maybe this isn't a real problem in these days anymore, but I get paranoid whenever I hear the word "wireless".

I will ask them to look at dropping this for on-board graphics only. It might not be any savings to me to do so
It should save you $60

I will inquire about a fanless PSU ... thank you.
Should cost you extra $60 (compared to Corsair 500W)

I am not sure what you mean here: That I should look into the case PLUS some acoustic treatment? Or ...
This is standard option for ADK computers ... I don't know who is your dealer, but your proposed system is obviously a standard ADK setup:
http://www.adkproaudio.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=134
(under "Quieting/ Xtra cooling" there).
It costs extra $100 (compared to your proposed "ADK Quiet Case fans" option)... so it's a bit expensive option, but in my opinion you can't spend too much for making your PC silent. I just built one couple of weeks ago and I'm really happy with the noise level (after spending quite a bit for that), but can't stop thinking: "I should have chosen that fanless PSU and more quiet case fans" (yes, I have acoustically treated case).

What is it that an i7 is better at ... higher track count, or is it more VSTi's?
Both and maybe also possible to use lower latency setting. As seen from ADK page (see link above) you can have i7 model 4771 for extra $112. To compare performance difference between 4570 & 4771 see:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
In my opinion the difference is significant and well worth the extra money.
by Jarno
Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

alexis wrote:I noticed the W7 is "OEM" ... is that anything to be concerned about/that I should try to change?

In practise it means that license of W7 is tied to one specific computer (the first one it's activated on) and can't be transferred to another computer.
by Jarno
Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have a feeling they won't be able to do anything but OEM, but I can always ask!
Looks like they have an option of W7 Home Premium (non-OEM) instead of W7 Pro OEM ... and it's even $35 cheaper ... but you have to consider what you loose when having "Home" instead of "Pro". For me it looks like the only significant difference on DAW usage is the "Home" only supporths 16G of RAM memory.
by Jarno
Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 3 Monitor Recommendation?

suntower wrote:1. Are there any cheap, fanless video cards?

What is cheap? You should be able to find Radeon 5450-based cards at around $40.
by Jarno
Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pono

So this is marketing brand of Neil Young's "high-definiton" audio? Poor old Neil. Either he've been misguided or is trying to do the largest scam in the history of music industry. I think I already linked this one: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html the last time this was discussed. No, I'm not against uncompressed/losslessly compressed audio, but (when it comes to delivery format) anything above 44.1k/16 is just snake oil.
by Jarno
Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ur22 Very low audio output through headphones

Have you tried to turn MIX (INPUT/DAW) knob?
by Jarno
Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: distortion in vocals

In which stage it gets distorted?
1. Mic? - If here, your only option is to get him further away from the microphone or change the mic (SM7 should work)
2. Preamp? - If here, just turn gain down. If gain is already all the way down, look solution from #1.
3. A/D conversion? - Turn down output level of your preamp.
4. Mixing? - This is the only stage any plugin can make difference. Any limiter or compressor with high ratio should do the job.

Anyway, only real solution is to give this poor guy a couple of singing lessons.
by Jarno
Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: set-up control room

Not sure if there is Control Room feature in Cubase 'Studio' version. If quite sure it's 'Cubase Only' feature, which means it's in full version Cubase only. Anyway, if it's there, you should find 'Enable Control Room' button in VST Connections window.
by Jarno
Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tune Up Utilities

BriHar wrote:A tech could probably tell from the plug

Usually the plastic part inside the plug (where the metal connectors are attached to) is color-coded as follows:
White - USB 1
Black - USB 2
Blue - USB 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb#Colors
by Jarno
Mon May 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If it was your money?

A Yamaha digital piano for $700......very nice, 88 keys weighted, 14 yamaha sounds, USB output (can i
plug that into the computer or do i use analogue into the interface and then to computer?)
While you don't give exact model of your Yamaha keyboard, it's hard to tell ... but probably USB only carries MIDI data and if you want to record Yamaha's audio, you need to connect it's analog outputs to your soundcard/audio interface.

I'm a little without knowledge about how the SSD works.....

As Strophoid already said, it works just like a hyper-fast hard drive.

How much can a 32GB SSD serve up?

To be honest ... it's quite small in today's standards. It was OK 6 years ago (when I bought my first SSD) to hold Windows XP and your basic software, but with Win7 (or 8) and modern software packages it requires some planning (or even serious IT skills) to fit everything into 32G.

Now Monitors baffle me !!!!....i've got $460 for a pair......looking at the Yamaha 5 inchers....8 inchers

If you're looking at primary monitors at this price range I would recommend Adams or KRKs instead of Yamaha.
by Jarno
Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blue Yeti Pro Mic (MUTE?)

Why are you even considering an USB mike when you already have an audio interface?
by Jarno
Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why do you dislike USB mic's please?
Because they usually have no "real" ASIO drivers and you are forced to use ASIO4ALL. This is a potential source of many kinds of problems.

The Blue Yeti Pro has both USB and XLR.

I see. Forgive me not making enough research. Just read "USB" in specs and immediately freaked out ;)

So you still can plug it into your CI12, which is good, but still you pay extra for USB feature. You could get better mic with same $$$ without USB. I can understand mic like Yeti Pro, if you want to use it also with computer without audio interface (occassional on-site recordings with laptop etc). In that case it even sounds a good idea.

Because my Soundcard (Steinberg CI12+) only has 2 x In/Out :-

This is not excuse IMO. If you need more than 2 inputs at once, USB mic is a bad solution, since once again you'll fall into ASIO4ALL land, which IMO isn't solution for pro DAW.
by Jarno
Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So you are saying ASIO4ALL is to be avoided at all costs.
No. I'm just saying the "real" ASIO driver is better option and you should avoid ASIO4ALL if it's not too difficult/costly.

I thought it would be quite useful to have a mic which had both USB and XLR function?
As I said, I too find it useful, if you are going to do recordings on locations where you don't have your audio interface available.

Have to leave now and go to help my niece. She is experiencing audio sync problems when trying to do narrations on her YouTube videos. You may guess which kind of recording hardware system she has. Can you?
by Jarno
Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Change input volume in Cubase?

Whenever you are "going into red" in Cubase you have already clipped in your Analog/Digital converter. Cubase (or any DAW) can't do anything about it. Only way to resolve the problem is to lower input volume on your instrument, preamp or audio interface.
by Jarno
Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Would you like to see true Bounce-In-Place in Cubase?

Where is "I don't care" option. That would be my answer. I prefer to bounce to new track so I have total control on what's happening and not let the software decide. But at the same time if "bounce-in-place" were there, it would not disturb me. But because I have no such option, I have to vote "no". Sorry.
by Jarno
Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic