Search found 55 matches

Return

Re: Thunderbolt

In my opinion Thunderbolt is one of the most over-hyped "technologies". It's nothing new, just 2 older iterface busses squeezed into one connector/cable.

It's just another example of artificially trying to make older equipment look obsolete.
by Jarno
Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase AI5 user - Mixer or Control Surface?

AJT1973 wrote:My budget is around £300.

Definitely a control surface! You are not going to get any decent mixing console in that price range (multiple your budget with 10 and you may have some options). And within your budget you already have chosen the right one: the B-brand thing.
by Jarno
Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR22, 32bit float

1. Why are you using ASIO4ALL and not UR22's native driver?
2. There is no commercial 32-bit a/D or D/A converters. If driver let's you choose "32-bit" option it only means the bit reduction is done inside the driver/digital hardware instead of your DAW (which may or may not be better than reduction inside the DAW depending on driver/hardware/usage profile).
by Jarno
Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best way to transfer edits from laptop to my studio desktop?

Rename your project folder on your desktop (or move it somewhere else) and copy project folder from the laptop to your desktop. After checking the project from laptop is running smoothly you can delete the old (renamed, moved) folder.
by Jarno
Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Signatures, signatures...... (??)

My signature is just kind of a joke. After finding out how some people put all insignificant pieces of hardware/software there, I decided to make my signature as complete as possible ... as you may find out if you read the last line 8-)
by Jarno
Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creating Vocal Harmonies

I often use Melodyne for vocal harmonies ... but only for testing purpose: check out how some kind of harmony would sound and after making decisions just ditch Melodyne harmonies and sing them myself.

But when working with talented singers (that's anyone else that myself) I try to avoid using Melodyne alltogether. If they are there behind Microphones I just try to hum them what I would like them to sing ... a lot faster than dragging those blobs up and down on the computer screen.
by Jarno
Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Signatures, signatures...... (??)

swamptone wrote:the only folks that have NO problems, have no gear

:lol: how true
by Jarno
Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Proposed new DAW ... any comments/suggestions appreciate

It's a good package, but let me give few observations (in order of importance):

NIC/Internet LinkSys WUSB6300 IEEE 802.11ac - Wi-Fi Adapter USB - 867 Mbps

Are you sure you want a WiFi net adapter. Every special extra hardware in DAW is unneccessary IMO.

Dual Head Video AMD-ATI Radeon 5450 1GB fanless 1DVI, 1VGA, 1 HDMI

Isn't onboard graphics enough? Then you must be a gamer. In that case at least Radeon 7750 fanless ... or even something more powerful, but then you have no fanless option.

Power Supply: 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certiied Active PFC Pwr Supply

As you are (based on your choises) aiming for low-noise PC, how about fanless PSU?

OS Programs Drive: Seagate 500G 16Meg Sata 600 1 yr warranty ST500DM002

How about 250G SSD? Boots faster, launches programs faster, less noise, not that much more expensive.

Quieting/Xtra Cooling: ADK-ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB Noctua

Again ... that option with acoustic treatment would make you PC even more quiet.

Processor: Intel- Core i5 4570 Haswell 3.2GHz Quad 6 meg cache NO HT

If you still have money left, get i7 4770
by Jarno
Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have made the (for me) difficult decision to make this my general use home computer as well
I can see that. My studio PCs have always also been a general-purpose PCs ... and it hasn't been a problem to me ... just requires extra care when installing any software. But I always use wired ethernet instead of wireless, when possible (have some 100m/300ft of ethernet cables in my house). 2 reasons for this:
1. Every additional hardware/driver is a possible source of problems. So why not use motherboard's ethernet connection and a cable to connect to the router.
2. In the past I have had horrible DPC latency problems with numerous wireless devices. So I have decided: no single wireless device connected to my DAW, not even wireless keyboard or mouse, (unless it's DAW-specific device, like my Frotier Tranzport). Maybe this isn't a real problem in these days anymore, but I get paranoid whenever I hear the word "wireless".

I will ask them to look at dropping this for on-board graphics only. It might not be any savings to me to do so
It should save you $60

I will inquire about a fanless PSU ... thank you.
Should cost you extra $60 (compared to Corsair 500W)

I am not sure what you mean here: That I should look into the case PLUS some acoustic treatment? Or ...
This is standard option for ADK computers ... I don't know who is your dealer, but your proposed system is obviously a standard ADK setup:
http://www.adkproaudio.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=134
(under "Quieting/ Xtra cooling" there).
It costs extra $100 (compared to your proposed "ADK Quiet Case fans" option)... so it's a bit expensive option, but in my opinion you can't spend too much for making your PC silent. I just built one couple of weeks ago and I'm really happy with the noise level (after spending quite a bit for that), but can't stop thinking: "I should have chosen that fanless PSU and more quiet case fans" (yes, I have acoustically treated case).

What is it that an i7 is better at ... higher track count, or is it more VSTi's?
Both and maybe also possible to use lower latency setting. As seen from ADK page (see link above) you can have i7 model 4771 for extra $112. To compare performance difference between 4570 & 4771 see:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
In my opinion the difference is significant and well worth the extra money.
by Jarno
Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

alexis wrote:I noticed the W7 is "OEM" ... is that anything to be concerned about/that I should try to change?

In practise it means that license of W7 is tied to one specific computer (the first one it's activated on) and can't be transferred to another computer.
by Jarno
Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have a feeling they won't be able to do anything but OEM, but I can always ask!
Looks like they have an option of W7 Home Premium (non-OEM) instead of W7 Pro OEM ... and it's even $35 cheaper ... but you have to consider what you loose when having "Home" instead of "Pro". For me it looks like the only significant difference on DAW usage is the "Home" only supporths 16G of RAM memory.
by Jarno
Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 3 Monitor Recommendation?

suntower wrote:1. Are there any cheap, fanless video cards?

What is cheap? You should be able to find Radeon 5450-based cards at around $40.
by Jarno
Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pono

So this is marketing brand of Neil Young's "high-definiton" audio? Poor old Neil. Either he've been misguided or is trying to do the largest scam in the history of music industry. I think I already linked this one: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html the last time this was discussed. No, I'm not against uncompressed/losslessly compressed audio, but (when it comes to delivery format) anything above 44.1k/16 is just snake oil.
by Jarno
Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ur22 Very low audio output through headphones

Have you tried to turn MIX (INPUT/DAW) knob?
by Jarno
Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: distortion in vocals

In which stage it gets distorted?
1. Mic? - If here, your only option is to get him further away from the microphone or change the mic (SM7 should work)
2. Preamp? - If here, just turn gain down. If gain is already all the way down, look solution from #1.
3. A/D conversion? - Turn down output level of your preamp.
4. Mixing? - This is the only stage any plugin can make difference. Any limiter or compressor with high ratio should do the job.

Anyway, only real solution is to give this poor guy a couple of singing lessons.
by Jarno
Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: set-up control room

Not sure if there is Control Room feature in Cubase 'Studio' version. If quite sure it's 'Cubase Only' feature, which means it's in full version Cubase only. Anyway, if it's there, you should find 'Enable Control Room' button in VST Connections window.
by Jarno
Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tune Up Utilities

BriHar wrote:A tech could probably tell from the plug

Usually the plastic part inside the plug (where the metal connectors are attached to) is color-coded as follows:
White - USB 1
Black - USB 2
Blue - USB 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb#Colors
by Jarno
Mon May 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If it was your money?

A Yamaha digital piano for $700......very nice, 88 keys weighted, 14 yamaha sounds, USB output (can i
plug that into the computer or do i use analogue into the interface and then to computer?)
While you don't give exact model of your Yamaha keyboard, it's hard to tell ... but probably USB only carries MIDI data and if you want to record Yamaha's audio, you need to connect it's analog outputs to your soundcard/audio interface.

I'm a little without knowledge about how the SSD works.....

As Strophoid already said, it works just like a hyper-fast hard drive.

How much can a 32GB SSD serve up?

To be honest ... it's quite small in today's standards. It was OK 6 years ago (when I bought my first SSD) to hold Windows XP and your basic software, but with Win7 (or 8) and modern software packages it requires some planning (or even serious IT skills) to fit everything into 32G.

Now Monitors baffle me !!!!....i've got $460 for a pair......looking at the Yamaha 5 inchers....8 inchers

If you're looking at primary monitors at this price range I would recommend Adams or KRKs instead of Yamaha.
by Jarno
Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blue Yeti Pro Mic (MUTE?)

Why are you even considering an USB mike when you already have an audio interface?
by Jarno
Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why do you dislike USB mic's please?
Because they usually have no "real" ASIO drivers and you are forced to use ASIO4ALL. This is a potential source of many kinds of problems.

The Blue Yeti Pro has both USB and XLR.

I see. Forgive me not making enough research. Just read "USB" in specs and immediately freaked out ;)

So you still can plug it into your CI12, which is good, but still you pay extra for USB feature. You could get better mic with same $$$ without USB. I can understand mic like Yeti Pro, if you want to use it also with computer without audio interface (occassional on-site recordings with laptop etc). In that case it even sounds a good idea.

Because my Soundcard (Steinberg CI12+) only has 2 x In/Out :-

This is not excuse IMO. If you need more than 2 inputs at once, USB mic is a bad solution, since once again you'll fall into ASIO4ALL land, which IMO isn't solution for pro DAW.
by Jarno
Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So you are saying ASIO4ALL is to be avoided at all costs.
No. I'm just saying the "real" ASIO driver is better option and you should avoid ASIO4ALL if it's not too difficult/costly.

I thought it would be quite useful to have a mic which had both USB and XLR function?
As I said, I too find it useful, if you are going to do recordings on locations where you don't have your audio interface available.

Have to leave now and go to help my niece. She is experiencing audio sync problems when trying to do narrations on her YouTube videos. You may guess which kind of recording hardware system she has. Can you?
by Jarno
Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Change input volume in Cubase?

Whenever you are "going into red" in Cubase you have already clipped in your Analog/Digital converter. Cubase (or any DAW) can't do anything about it. Only way to resolve the problem is to lower input volume on your instrument, preamp or audio interface.
by Jarno
Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Would you like to see true Bounce-In-Place in Cubase?

Where is "I don't care" option. That would be my answer. I prefer to bounce to new track so I have total control on what's happening and not let the software decide. But at the same time if "bounce-in-place" were there, it would not disturb me. But because I have no such option, I have to vote "no". Sorry.
by Jarno
Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Daylight saving changed = Cubase plugin rescan [again]

Why don't you people just untick that option wich tells Windows to automatically change to DST?
by Jarno
Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: it's a bug?

Not a bug, but it's horrible! If I wanted this behaviour I would buy a Mac.
by Jarno
Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Input trim on the mixer to ensure headroom enough?

peakae wrote:Anyhow for me a perfect solution would be a input and output fader On each side of a plugin slot.

That's one option. IMO the best solution would be teaching plugin writers to include "Drive" or "Reference Level"-knob in all plugins with any non-linear behaviour.
by Jarno
Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re:

Raphie wrote:My oldest SSD's already have been in 3 or more systems. Never had a broken one. 6 years old, still no degration.

Same here. 6 years old SSDs still running fine with zero problems.

HD's should be considered as a backup media nowadays.
by Jarno
Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: audio crap!

In most cases this problem is because you have used EQ on Windows Media Player to make things sound the way you like. Now, when you do mixdown in Cubase you do the same in Cubase (with Cubase EQ) and AGAIN in Media Player (Media Player EQ): that's doing the same operation twice.

If this is your case, the only solution is to disable Windows Media Player's EQ. If commercially produced music sounds crap after this, you should invest in better headphones/monitors and/or learn to listen to the music way it is (not the way it appears after modifying it with an EQ to suit your taste).

EDIT: "Media Player's EQ" may be substituted by "Sound card driver's EQ" in this reply.
by Jarno
Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to buy Cubase 8 Edu in my country?

Thomann has Cubase 8 EDU in stock:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberg_cubase_pro_8_edu.htm
And yes, they ship to Macedonia:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/helpdesk_shipping.html?country=maz

Off-topic:
In my opinion the whole world should stop requiring the usage of this 'Former Yugoslav Republic of...' nonsense. It's just plain stupid.
by Jarno
Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dithering idiot

curteye wrote:Remember all dithering does is to add noise to your rendered file.

Indeed!
shadowfax wrote:then I dither to 16 bit

ARGH! I get headache every time someone says: "dither to". You don't "dither to", you "reduce bit-depth to" and you can do this with or without dither.
by Jarno
Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 sounds better than 8 here at first sight

The new audio engine in Cubase 8 are new, and are complete rebuild from scratch in 192kHz, 32bit floating.
Cubase audio engine is 192k only if you set your project to 192k. And all correctly implemented digital audio engines sound the same. Period. Fact. If they sound different, there's something seriously wrong with one. When it comes to stock plugins etc, that's a different story, though.

when 4 professionals (the chief mastering engineer mastered more than 75.000 tracks) independently come to a conclusion that there is a evident and pretty big decline in sound on cubase 8 pro.
Yes and there's world-class producers (with gazillions #1 hits under their belt) who thinks SATA drive sounds better than USB drive and similar stuff. Go figure.
by Jarno
Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Channel sound separation

As seen on the Block Diagram of MG166CX, it's USB only provides 2 channels of audio and these 2 channels are hardwired to STEREO (L/R) buss (pre-fader). If you want to record your guitar and vocals on the different tracks in Cubase, you have to pan them hard left/right in your MG.

This is common (and unfortunate) feature of most cheapish mixing desks with USB interface. You're not the only one who bought this kind of mixer only to find out it can't send individual channels to DAW.
by Jarno
Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Student Discount Questions

1st - any difference between this "academic" version and the real thing?
No.
2nd - if he get's this version does it have limitations on what he can do with what he produces with this version? e.g. can't copyright or sell his music?
He can't sell music produced with educational version. Of course he can copyright, because copyright doesn't apply to final product (produced in Cubase) but the music itself (the "idea") and Steinberg (or any other party) can not have any control on that.
3rd - if I buy it for him from here (US) can it be delivered to him in Canada?
Shouldn't be a problem.

In any case, please see the educational product FAQ:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/education/faq.html
by Jarno
Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Installing Cubase Pro 8 Update

Go to your MySteinberg account: https://www.steinberg.net/en/mysteinberg.html
Register your eLicenser there (if not yet done).
Download Cubase Pro 8 installer.
by Jarno
Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Setting up Cubase LE 6 with Alesis multimix16usbfx

There is no way to change it? am I stuck with it?
Please consult your mixer's manual, especially the Block Diagram. It should tell how signals can be routed. Unfortunately I'm not going to do this for you because of one unfortunate thing: F*cking Alesis requires me to enter personal information to their website in order to download the manual. I'm not going to do that.
by Jarno
Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What bit depth and sample rate should I use?

So, what are the actual pros and cons of recording at higher sample rates
Pros:
1. In case you have non-oversampling A/D and D/A coverters with poor anti-aliasing/anti-imaging filters the sound quality may improve slightly (flatter freq response near 20kHz and/or less aliasing distortion).
2. Some DSP algorithms may introduce aliasing distortion if not implemented correctly. So if you have ill-behaving plugins you can move artifacts they are creating to inaudible frequency range by using higher sample rates (and then removing them completely by downsampling with good quality sample rate converter).

#1 hould be non-issue nowadays (for last 10 - 20 years now depending on if you use pro or consumer grade converters). However #2 may still be valid point today.

Cons:
1. Storage space requirements
2. Processing power requirements
3. Some D/A converters may perform poorly with high sample rates
4. Introducing ultrasonic content into your analog audio chain (anything after D/A) may cause unwanted intermodulation distortion.
by Jarno
Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What bit depth and sample rate should I use?

I'm just wondering how the HD 192 fares in quality and whether it would be a good idea to Record at higher sample rates?
Sorry, I can't tell for sure. I have no experience on HD 192. But it's modern pro/semi-pro unit and should be OK and not having problems of early cheap systems. According this article: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct03/articles/motu.htm HD 192's converters are 128x oversampling. This should eliminate all aliasing/imaging problems in A/D/A conversion. It's probable you won't gain anything by using higher sample rates (when it comes to A/D/A conversion).

Recording in 32-bit floating point is only benefitial if you are going to do a lot, actually a LOT, of offline processing.
Or LOT of bouncing.
by Jarno
Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I can not use the grace period

minski wrote:But I'm not sure, that is support's mail.

You could go to your MySteinberg account. Click "MySupport" and create "Support request" there.
by Jarno
Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I can not use the grace period

Have you created MySteinberg account and registered your E-licenser there? Maybe that's required for grace period upgrade.
by Jarno
Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Remove the Mac-style menu bar on PC

MHoughton wrote:It helps that the GUIs are consistent.

Fair enough. But then we should suggest Steinberg to implement standard Windows-style menu on Cubase for Mac. Not the other way around as they did. There are many more Windows users than Mac users after all.
by Jarno
Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8 Artist unable to see USB audio interface

Have you selected the correct ASIO driver for Cubase:
Devices > Device Setup > VST Audio System > ASIO Driver
by Jarno
Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: help choose laptop for cubase 8 and other similar audio

Performance benchmarks for all mentioned processors can be found here:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html
i3 wins hands down.
by Jarno
Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 4 to Cubase Cubase Pro 8

You don't need to install C4, but you can if you want to use it in your new Mac. Steps needed:
1. Buy upgrade
2. Install eLicenser software to your Mac and plug in eLicenser dongle
3. Enter C8 activation code to eLicenser
4. Register your eLicenser to your Steinberg Account (if not already done)
5. Download C8 install package from your Steinberg Account
6. Install C8
by Jarno
Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C6.5 to 8, omitting 7

You don't have to install C7. And IF you haven't ACTIVATED C7 upgrade, you don't even have to buy C8 update. Activating C7 upgrade now will give you C8 license automatically.
by Jarno
Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will this product upgrade my C7?

Makumbaria wrote:He can sell this one and buy a correct upgrade from Steinberg

I think this guy is more than happy to buy that upgrade:
viewtopic.php?f=227&t=76606
by Jarno
Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Diable sleep for specific programs [WIN]

This seems to describe how to write the functionality into the program (like Cubase must have done). I certainly don't have the know-how to "insert" this function into the Guitar Rig program.
That was my point exactly (should have included a smiley on my post). This behaviour must be programmed inside the program. As a user there nothing you can do, unless you find a third-party program which does something like:
1. runs on the background and anytime it sees GuitarRig running turns off power saving
or
2. turns off power saving functions, runs GuitarRig and turns them back on after GuitarRig has ended

Now after writing this answer, I realised it shouldn't be too difficult to do it yourself:

1. Set you PC into normal operation power scheme (on Control Panel)
2. Run CMD and in command prompt type
powercfg /getactivescheme
3. write down the resulting GUID string (let's call it GUID2)
4. Set you PC into GuitarRig operation power scheme (on Control Panel)
5. Run CMD and in command prompt type
powercfg /getactivescheme
6. write down the resulting GUID string (let's call it GUID1)

Write a CMD script which uses POWERCFG

POWERCFG /setactivescheme GUID1
RUN_GUITAR_RIG (whatever command starts GuiotarRig)
POWERCFG /setactivescheme GUID2

More about powercfg:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh875530.aspx
by Jarno
Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sample Rate Converters: Do DAWs actually

When looking at the Infinite Wave graphs please spend a moment trying to understand them. Distortion figures of all the converters shown there are completely inaudible, except for some of them which may create just audible distortion in very low signal levels. (Cubase is not one of them. It handles low signal levels well.)

To put things in perspective. Cubase's SRC's distortion levels are about 1/100th of CD audio quatization errors.

When it comes to aliasing, even Cubase's SRC's filter goes down to -60dB at 24kHz which is about the point it starts to matter (aliasing to under 20kHz). You'd need horrible amount of ultrasonic content in your audio to make it's aliasing effect audible.

I use Voxengo r8brain myself, just to feel better, because I have yet to notice any sound difference.
Just for the same reason I use SoX on final masters. For "pre-release" stuff I use Cubase.
by Jarno
Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you, I have done that. I didn't think my post gave the opposite impression, if it did, please understand that was an error on my part.
It wasn't response to you, but a general notification. If it looked like an attack against you, I'm very sorry.

Yes, but Cubase's SRC transition filter is shown to only go to -6 dBFS to -12 dBFS at 22-23 kHz. I could easily see that possibly causing audible alias bands.
But it doesn't. When converting into to 44.1kHz sample rate, audio in 22-23kHz range aliases into 21-22kHz range. I cannot consider it audible (unless we start talking about intermodulation distortion generated by the analog audio chain). There is a very good reason, why original CD audio standard is 44.1kHz instead of 40kHz: insurance against non-perfect anti-alias filter.

To me, the question remains: How do we know if these graphically obvious differences from ideal, and between different DAWs, are audible?
We know if we stop for a moment to think about basic physiology of human hearing.
EDIT: just to clarify:
1. It's absolutely impossible to hear distortion below -60dB of current signal level
2. We cannot hear anything above 20kHz (for me as an old relic this is more like 15kHz)

Just for the same reason I use SoX on final masters. For "pre-release" stuff I use Cubase. Why not use Cubase on final masters, as you make a strong case that any artifacts of Cubase's SRC are inaudible?
For the exactly same reason as peakae does use r8brain: just to feel better. Not having to worry about some exreamly unlikely situation that I have not taken into consideration. Just like:
a. I record (and mix and master) at 88.2kHz even though 44.1kHz is fine (just in case there are bad behaving DSP algorithms in my signal chain)
b. I do dither when reducing bit depth even though none of the music I produce requires it (because it doesn't cost anything)
c. I record 24bit audio even though at least in 99% of my recordings 16 bits will capture all the details (so I don't have to worry about those 1% of cases)
by Jarno
Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sample Rate Converters: Do DAWs actually "sound differen

The math is much easier.
In matter of fact it isn't. You can't just play "connect-the-dots" game with digital audio. Every time you make sample rate conversion, you have to
1. reconstruct the original audio waveform represented by samples
2. pick new samples from reconstructed wave
Of course in real life:
1. you only have to create a mathematical representation of the original wave (sinc IR response of samples)
2. you pick new samples from this function

But this is not that much easier when using multiple sample rates than when using arbitrary sample rates (upsampling is slightly faster but downsampling is just as hard).

IMO we should be more worried about plug-ins doing sampling rate conversions than DAW's off-line conversion algorihtms. Plug-ins must do this in real-time, which is much harder task after all.
by Jarno
Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

with no filtering (a 0dBFS response) at 21 kHz, and only -6dBFS filtering at 22 kHz, how audible would the resulting 1kHz summation tone be for that high-frequency source recorded at high levels?
OK! You went into intermodulation distortion path :roll: ... because "Summation tone" of 22 & 21kHz (1kHz) is intermodulation distortion. But the thing is: intermodulation distortion doesn't happen in digital domain, so you can ignore it. It doesn't happen. Only worry we should ever have on Cubase's very shallow anti-alias filter (when comparing to others) is:

* Cubase's filter isn't very effective between 22-24kHz
* If we have extreamly powerful audio content in this range (no natural instruments have, very few microphones captures it anyway and any well-programmed VSTi also doesn't produce it) this content aliases into 20kHz-22kHz range
* In analog audio hardware (D/A converters, amplifiers, speakers) this aliased audio creates intermodulation distortion in audible range (20Hz-20kHz)
BUT:
* How much intermodulation distortion is already present produced by legitime audio content (20Hz-20kHz)? Probably something like 1000 times more.
CONCLUSION:
This is not an issue, except if your music is some kind of strange extreamly high-to-ultra-frequency rich stuff without natural low-to-mid frequency content.
by Jarno
Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: midi will not record

transport show midi activity, when I hit stop the midi line clears
Are you saying whenever you're recording, Cubase is drawing a new MIDI part into the track, but when hitting stop, it disappears. This happens if there is nothing recorded to the part. But because you have activity in transport, there should be something coming in. I can only think about two possible reasons:
1. You have not selected the right MIDI input for your track
2. There's MIDI filtering going on somewhere (eg File | Preferences ... MIDI Filter)
by Jarno
Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic