Search found 21 matches

Return

Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Got a cool tip or macro to add to the list? Spotted an error or know a better way? Post it here and I'll add it on as and when I can!

There are lots more juicy tips in this thread that haven't been collated yet, or are a bit too general or complex to fit in this post. Have a wade through and see what nuggets you find.

Excellent Thread by Bane (looks like hundreds of hours of work here) thanks Curteye.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=23576#p151237

Great Site Full of Tutorials thanks Norbury Brook .
http://www.cubasetutorial.net/

Best Ever Workflow Tip

The one piece of advice that keeps on coming up over and over: Learn the Key commands and assign your own. Almost every function can be set to a key command.

Here's an excellent thread by JMCecil with a utility for setting up and viewing key commands.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=31882

Project Setup

Make templates!

Get a session set up how you like it, tracks ready to go, input and output buses, group channels, folder tracks even favourite VST instruments and FX, this is a BIG timesaver.

Template From Existing Project

Save your project under a different name first (avoids ‘lost project embarrassment’). Delete all the Audio/MIDI stuff you don’t want in the template from the project window. Hit [CTL]+P to open pool and right [Option]click, select empty trash.
BEWARE, don’t choose erase unless you don’t need the files, choose the‘remove from pool’ option. Erase option will send your files to digital heaven. Then choose Save as Template option from the file menu.

Naming Tracks

In the Arrange window, click in the track name box to get a curser, type in the tracks name ie; ’Kick’, hit [TAB] (cursor jumps to next track name box) type in next one and repeat. Hit [Enter] to end.

Naming Tracks Inside Folders - by Xtigma

Rename all tracks inside a folder to the same name.
Type name in Folder Track, hold down [shift] + press [enter].

Rename all events on midi track to track's name - By Mozizo

Dbl click track name(fonts highligted with blue).
Press and hold one of the modifiers and press Enter.

Assigning Input Buses and Channel Outputs

In the Mix Console, select the required audio channels and as you assign the 1st channel (Drop down menu in Mix Console-Routing Tab) hold down [Shift] and each channel will be assigned incrementally.
Holding [Shift]+[ALT] will send all selected channels to the same Input bus or output.

Macros

To create a macro

File/Key Commands/Show Macros/New Macro-and name it.
Highlight the command from the commands window and hit 'Add Command' after each.
The new marco should now be visible in the macro folder in the commands window. Assign it to a Key of your choice.

New Track Macro - by Rhino

For creating a new track with all routing monitoring and FX settings from existing in one go.

Project - Duplicate Tracks
Edit - Select All On Tracks
Edit - Delete

Bounce In Place - by Winter Rat http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=30597

Cubase Ninja Pro-Tools style Trim Automation - by Lukasbrooklyn http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=38182

Set L and R Locators to next 2 markers - by SeeWhat

Locate to marker 1 then apply the following macro ({Alt}+{/}.
transport- set Left locator
transport- next marker
transport- set Right locator

Mix Console/FX

Default FX Presets - by Rhino

In any FX container window, next to the preset box hit the cubase icon and choose 'save as default preset'

Open all insert GUI on channel - By mozizo

[shift]+[alt]+[left click] on E button of a channel.
To close all of them [shift]+[left click] on E again.

Audio

Pre-Insert Volume Automation

Make sure the 'Use Mouse Wheel for Event volume and Fades' option is activated in Preferences. Editing/Audio page.
[ALT]+Click on an audio event to cut it around the area you want to change, then hover the mouse over it and mouse wheel up for louder (up to 24db) or down for softer. Will also work for multiple selections or entire Audio events. Won't work for an Audio Part unless you dissolve part first [CTL]+ right[option] click to open context menu and choose Audio/Dissolve Part.
[CTL]+M/Wheel near front of event to adjust fade in or near rear for fade out.

Replace all audio clip instances - by lukasbrooklyn

To replace all instances of an audio event in a project (akin to exchanging a sample in a sampler), put your replacement sample in the pool, the drag it from the pool whist holding shift, and drop it onto the event to be replaced.

MIDI

MIDI Octave shortcut - by Stealth

Select midi event(s) in the project/arrange page then Shift + up or down arrow key to change octave.

MIDI Velocity Editing - by trashdinner

Hold shift + Ctrl, left click and drag up or down to change velocity on selected MIDI events.

Logical Editor - by Curteye

Being a MIDI guitarist from the early 90's the LE was a must learn.
Here is my approach(es):

1-When using it stop thinking like an artist/musician etc
and start thinking more 'scientific'. (similar but not quite the same)

2-Don't go in 'cold'. Decide want you want to accomplish and use a preset
that steers in that direction. There are many in Cubase. Tweak from there.

3-Save your tweak as a preset. You might need it later and you might forget how you got there.
(happened to me a lot at first)

4-Using LE custom presets along with Key Commands can really speed the workflow.

VST Instruments

Record VST instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export - by JMCecil

F4 -> Output tab -> hit + sign and create a Stereo Output called whatever "VSTi Out". Do not assign this output to any of your audio card outputs.
On your Instrument track, set the output to the "VSTi Output" from the previous step.
Create a Stereo Audio Track in the project, set the INPUT to "VSTi Output"
Enable monitor and/or Record enable.

Vari Audio

Variaudio shortcuts - by trashdinner

[tab] to switch between segment and pitch modes.
Hold [ctrl] while moving a note to snap to pitch.
Hold [shift] while moving a note to move it freely.

Video

Video Scrubbing - by Carlo

Very nice for film-scoring if you play back a movie on a computer screen: Click directly in the Video Player window and drag the mouse left or right...

Toggle Full Screen Video - by BFred

Double-click anywhere in the video window to toggle full screen mode.

General

Resize Tool box (Arrange Window) - by Soul Burn

If you press right-click to open the tools menu and hold it pressed for about 5 seconds (it feels long), you can resize the shape of the toolbox. This lets you get to your tools with a shorter movement of the mouse.

Scissor Trick - by Bonso

Scissor Tool : alt/click when slicing an event divides the whole event into equal length sections.

Reverse Locators to skip section - by Rotund

If you just want to cut a section of a song, but want to hear the result first.
Simply engage cycle, then set your left locator to the end of the section to be cut.
Then set your right locator to the beginning of the section to be cut.
Yea, backwards.
Now playback from a point before the right locator.
The song will skip over the section enclosed in the markers.

Got something to share? Post your tips and ideas in this thread and I'll add them when I can.
by Paul Coyle
Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Any special tasks you use the Project Loical Editor for ?

In order to 'track' with more accuracy a MIDI guitar controller puts out
mucho extra MIDI info. (mainly lots o' extra pitchbend/note info)

Back in da day in order to use MIDI tracks in a 'live' situation,
projects were stored on floppy discs. (Roland MC50)

So to save space this 'extra' info needed to be removed.
(Now days this is not a prob).

One of the Cubase LE presets was 'delete short notes' (its still there).
Once I learned how to adjust the value/length of the short notes,
I started to get a 'feel' for how the LE works.

Now along with KC's I use it for many purposes.

Like for example: quickly adjusting MIDI volume/pan/octaves etc.
And some 'secret sauce' stuff as well. :)

{'-'}
by curteye
Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i made LE presets to do some quick MIDI humanising fixes, like vary the notes' relative volume a very tiny bit, vary their start point a tiny bit, accent their downbeat (or offbeat) velocity, and then iterative quantize the lot a little to bring it back 'into shape' if you will.
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Raname all events on midi track to track's name:

Dbl click track name(fonts highligted with blue)
press and hold one of the modifiers and press Enter.
by mozizo
Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

a simple one that I use regularly :~

(scissor tool) : alt/click when slicing an event divides the whole event into equal length sections.

not exactly a hidden function, but perhaps a lesser-known alt. tool function & a great timesaver if you want to slice an event in the arrange page for editing.
by bonso
Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Record VSTi instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export ...

F4 -> Output tab -> hit + sign and create a Stereo Output called whatever "VSTi Out". Do not assign this output to any of your audio card outputs.

On your Instrument track, set the output to the "VSTi Output" from the previous step.

Create a Stereo Audio Track in the project, set the INPUT to "VSTi Output"

Enable monitor and/or Record enable.
by JMCecil
Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

sorry guys, i just watched the videos about 7.5 and i' m about to post an open rant:

First of all, i moved from C5 to C7 less then a month ago and also built a new pc for it, quite costly.

Steinberg used to be a very serious developing house. Back in the 90s, cubase was used by almost every studio in the world.
I thought they were among the last companies to retain a certain degree of professionalism.
Now they talk about "sweet gui", suggest to "play around" with plugins (whatch the magneto II section) and other marketing, childish nonsense.
I work with it, for c. sake, along with lots of other people here. We don' t need fancy graphics (those gradient, blurred, confusing things steinberg calls events), toys to play with and half made features like the mixconsole.

For instance, i' ve location-recorded a rock band and i had to rely on reaper due to C7 instability with antelope orion32 (as also stated by antelope support).
Now, with the recording sessions completed, i can' t mix the record; you know, is not that easy to switch proficiently to another software.

We need a reliable system, and C7 is NOT!
Steinberg, just fix the thing, would you??!?!
And while you are at it, could you revert to the good-old-clear event display?
The flat one.
Yes, the one that lasted to C5.

Regards
by edomago
Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

Again, without "beatzmakers" who are you sound engineering for? This attitude and lack of respect would not get a dollar from me.

Who said anything about me being an engineer? I'm a classically-trained composer with a Ph.D. "beatzmakers" are DJ's, remixers, whatever you want to call them, but they don't actually make music, just rearrange someone else's loops.
by papi61
Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 - any fixes ?

One bug that annoys me a lot isn't fixed: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=45273&p=312764#p312764

Another frustrating thing (not really a bug, rather a feature introduced): http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=51246&p=312745#p312745

As for your list, I'm not sure what you're talking about, if you describe in detail, what exactly should we (users of 7.5) check, I'll be glad to be of help.
by sasha-che
Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mixer zoom recall bug is back here!!!

Going back to 7.06,. ...Well, I wasn't holding my breath anyway.
by fireinthefishtank
Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@Rhino

I had similar problems in 7.06 with Workspace recall. However, after a full day on 7.5 I have not encountered any problems. At all.

I'm feeling much better about 7.5 than any other 7.x version. Feels more polished - what 7.0 should have been.
by Steve Helstrip
Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Z-Order for MixConsole is still jacked up

Nope, key commands for the mixer still don't work unless the mixer is in focus ... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGDE
by JMCecil
Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 keycommand focus

TimoWildenhain wrote:Key Command/mixer issue will (most likely) be fixed.

viewtopic.php?f=194&t=50956&start=25
by SteveInChicago
Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 keycommand focus

Also, this is related to the way Cubase deals with focus overall, not just Key Commands. For example, it is possible to be working in an Always-on-Top window and hit a key that does nothing in the window, but edits something in another window.

In my view this is a serious issue.
by SteveInChicago
Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

^ I agree.

There are bugs, and then there are things that simply are not well thought out or diligently tested in house by real users. I can appreciate bug testing, I did a lil HTML back in the day. But error, quality testing, workflow... hard to have an excuse.
by mpayne0
Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

As long as there are enough morons BUYING the updates/new versions, there will be no incentive to steinberg to fix these major bugs for free...

I'm not a long time user of cubase But I got allready a nasty taste in my mouth from this company...

I bought the last few upgrades, and don't consider myself a moron, nor my decision to do so moronic. In fact I consider it money well spent.

I fail to see what your post has to do with the topic of MixConsole focus.

You probably use 1 monitor. Try to have a lot of plugins open on 3 monitors. And then suddenly poof they are all gone, and you have to click to get EACH plugin back on the screen again. Do this 50 times a day...

The we talk further oke...
by mrjixies
Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mix Console zoom override - YES WE CAN

No real-time rubberband gimmickry needed, ever.
I sympathize.

I used to call Mix-Console "Mix-Debacle"...

Nothing would have stopped Steinberg from updating the visuals (yes, the 7.x mixer is prettier imho)
IMVHO, its looks are distracting. I'm not supposed to "look" at it. it should be utilitarian.

Btw, traditional buttons and displays beat mouse-over fumbling any day in my book, no need to implement trendiness over functionality here, too, with an updated constant-size mixer.
I absolutely agree. it is, as SOS' columnist call it : " risible "...

Re bugs, the forum is full of issues with the new mixer, almost all related to zoom somehow, to only quote a few :
- erraneous recall of channel width up to the infamous "Kermit bug" full width channels, kinda random but still a constant threat

- up to 6.5 a precise recall of a certain visual mixer state was possible using workspaces and keycommands (granted, you had to know a few tricks), and these workspaces could be transfered between projects (granted, in a cumbersome way, but at least you could do it), C7.x has no way of doing either !?! :o

- and finally, can't prove it, but considering the above it's fairly safe to assume correct simultaneous focus behavior also was sacrificed for this unwanted zoomable concept, absolute no-go.
Well, IMO "zoomable mixer" is simply Implausible (I'm being very gentle here, yes ?...).
Have you EVER seen a "Zoomable" REAL mixer ? I sure haven't.

I have the feeling that this was a compromise, before we all land in 4K LCD soon. however, this ridiculous concept should be BANISHED. it causes so much trouble that its questionable merits fall apart against the problems it causes.

This thread could have been mistaken for "disable zooming and all the related collateral damage by simply deselecting it", which unfortunately is not how it works. :cry:
No. it is simply me happy to not (not ?) having to mistakenly zoom within the mixer.

Oh, unlike you, I think that cramming SO MUCH info (channel strips, inserts, sends, etc etc.) into SO LITTLE physical space (our LCDs) is HORRENDOUS. may I remind you that your LCD is NOT 6m wide/ 1.5m long as a real console.
it is 60 CENTIMETERS by 40 CENTIMETERS (roughly - on average). I have no idea how can someone cope with so much data : pixels...colors... animations... more pixels... more colors... and whatnot.

Someone over at Steinberg HQ should reality check himself, REALLY. this is basic human perception stuff... :roll:
You have to understand that the human brain WASTES energy on such things. energy that should really be used to CREATE.
by Tp3
Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5.20

Yeah the issues that get fixed I haven't noticed them. But will it fix the plugins disappearing behind the mixer problem? This issue I have noticed a few hundred times. :twisted:
not wanting to downplay this special issue, should have been fixed a decade ago for sure, but are you aware your problem will be completely gone if you set things up the time honoured Cubase way :
Main window stretched (not maximised !) across all screens, plugins set AOT, however not the mixer !
Ok, no full screen mixer then, so what?
Give me reliable functionality over visual elegance, any day.
ymmv,
Rhino

No, that doesn't work for those of us on two screens or more! Most pro studios have two screens or even three.

It does work. (Windows XP or 7) I'm on Windows 7 64 bit Cubase 64 bit.

If you need help, there are several here who would help you. I use 4 screens (I must be really pro :lol: ) and in the past have used them just like Rhino describes. Now I have switched so 2 screens are on "full mixer" mode and the Cubase "shell" is stretched over the other 2 screens. Link the mixers and the project page. Of the other 2 screens one is dedicated to the project and the other is split in half. The lower half is Mixer 3 that contains In's Out's Groups' effect channels, and master out. The upper half I keep "blank" for opening and closing VST's VSTI's and editing midi/audio. The main thing is...it works for the way I work...up to the point where IMO the glaring issues are key commands, focus, and navigation issues, most of them in the mix console....the WORKFLOW things!

I suggest anyone new to multiple screens try them out like Rhino has described in prior posts at gearslutz, and then deviate from there if needed. Remember the options of AOT! Obviously everyone works differently, but based on the many complaints about this topic over the years, I have discovered what he does is not perfect, but often the most effective.

Actually I have noticed most commercial studios including some very well known ME's using Wavelab keep things down to 1 screen.

Anyway if you need assistance, give is your specific issue. I have been using multiple screens with Cubase for at least the past 14 years and unless you have some specific problem this is not rocket science.
by greggybud
Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 and MIXER Configurations

Strange that steinberg keep adding stuff to cubase without actually changing what we want , need and have asked to have changed maybe they have stopped listening to us or maybe they never listen can understand one mans fix is another mans poison but these changes don't effect anyones work flow for the worse they only make it better ...

i don't see the remembering zoom configuration added to the list of fixes and improvements yet again ... I'm kinda starting to wonder just who there making cubase for.. i mean were not asking for much are we?

i will give steinberg praise however for adding the remove projects from the hub thank god for that ....

I'm going put it out there ...

i like most don't care what protools, Studio1, Ableton, logic or what ever else can do and we know how you are hell bent to compete against there latest greatest gadgets .. save it for New Versions .... rant rant rant ...( hear me rant)

i guess I'm saying hey steinberg just give us working tools and not a dog with 3 legs

so how bout it can we at least have the software remember the mixers configurations zoom settings and fix the things that are wrong from the stuff you have added before today rather than adding even more to cubase and when you have it right we will let ya know promise ... then lets move onto some new stuff for cubase unless of course its an earth shattering new addition that will make our life even more easy then by all means ADD IT ...

on the funnier side of life ,,,, what if steinberg sold new brides ...

Yes sir she will cook and clean most of the time and yes sir floors is her specialty.. and sir don't bother letting her get to know you to well as she wont remember your name each morning, You have to remember sir its a new bride by steinberg, an ongoing thing and shall never be finished, It will be perfectly flawed for the rest of your life you lucky man.

What sir she's a little wide or a little narrow maybe? then not to worry we will fix that up in an upcoming, undisclosed and no idea when it will happen update were so famous for.. But don't worry sir if any thing should go wrong before before her expiry date and we need to fix her not that any thing ever goes wrong with our genuine steinberg brides then we will just give her a hair cut and a boob job and secretly fix the real problem that we screwed up on, Insert a few new problems and then of course charge up your visa card before we give her back to you with a smile!

Brides from steinberg a great deal all-round...and round and round again ...

anyone listening ?
by abyss
Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

FR: Multi-Warp in Arrange Window, please!

Hi,

I would like to have "Multi Audio Warp" in Cubase´s Arrange Window (!)

Thank you!

Cent.
by Centralmusic
Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Most important feature ever. Ver8

Don't do a thing. Take your time. Survey and delve into actual requirements from as many users as possible, especially those that are not voicing their opinion via this particular forum.

(Thousands register and yet the active posts are from the same ole same handful? )
by C.LYDE101
Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic