Re: Folder part

Right Click, add folder track?
by mpayne0
Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Halion manuals

Little tip.

If you use Adobe pdf and can edit, delete the languages you don't need, and save a new book.

This makes it tidy and small enough to fit on your smartphone or pad or even be able to email it to wok, etc.
H5 is the kind of thing with lots of little details, it is good to be able to pull up the manual whenever you have a thought!
by mpayne0
Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Poll] Fix the insert handling in the new mixer console?

Whether right or wrong, I think there is room for improvement.

But lets not assume that these are easy design fixes, they aren't. As soon as you attempt to resolve one thing, you create another problem. Kinda like mixing!

I would love to see some other kind of behavior for mouseovers, especially when viewing narrow strips, I'm a designer myself, and I do not know of any easy solution that opens another can of worms. The more information you have, the smaller area that you have to aim for with the cursor, the smaller the buttons are going to be there is no way around it.

I would probably vote for a user configurable setup where one could choose a specific toolset to conform to their own workflow. Actually the configurartion of the transport bar is quite amazing, as is the arrangement tools options where you can choose, sort the buttons, even dictate no. of characters in a line.
by mpayne0
Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The bus master works in 64bits?

The bottom line is that if your response is RTFM, why even bother to respond. The point here is to help each other. If the answer is accessible easily be a response, then respond. No one comes here for parenting.

I might have had the same question, came here and found the answer easily because someone simply responded.
Now I have to come in, get annoyed and add to this nonsense.

Disturbing thought ... the doctor of the coming generation goes on an online forum to ask about treating your illness because he's too lazy to look it up ... gives me shudders ... :? :o :shock:
This happens!
by mpayne0
Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

I guess most of the folks using Cubase for more than occasional "beatz creation" would agree on the priorities you I don't understand the sentiment that people that write and arrange music have to be grouped and dumbed down that.

Without the musicians what exactly do you have?

All in all that sums up the situation nicely.
I guess most of the folks using Cubase for more than occasional "beatz creation" would agree on the priorities you mentioned.

It's like Cubase is the turkey that's never properly done, but instead of finishing to cook it, Steinberg just adds more and more gravy on top of it.

Here's an idea: instead of having multiple Cubase versions based on how much stuff comes included, how about multiple versions targeted at different kinds of customers? You know, like a version for sound engineers, with none of the "beatz" nonsense but great and solid FX and --most importantly-- a super-stable engine, or a version for film composers, which is also super-stable but offers professional scoring features (you know, like Finale and Sibelius), professional video features, professional syncing features etc. And then a version for the "beatzmakers", that can very likely be the most successful but that trades stability for more and more "gravy", like a ton of loops, a gazillion VST's etc.

I'm pretty sure I only use 10% tops of what comes included with Cubase (instruments, FX, loops --which I NEVER use-- etc.), but I'm still paying for it. Again, without "beatzmakers" who are you sound engineering for? This attitude and lack of respect would not get a dollar from me.
by mpayne0
Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you run HAlion Sonic and Halion 5 together ?

I just use H5 because I feel eventually I want the option to get surgical if I need to.

I actually am not sure how the 2 work together, I almost would prefer HS2 be a HALionOne type deal, even smaller footprint that just plays the H5 programs and takes on any QC/Macros that I add for it. Even something that I could 'detach' from H5, like set it all up, and rip off just the program and my selection of control parameters, into one little window that holds maybe 10 channels of audio.

As it is HS2 is too big to be an efficient workspace, might as well use H5. It should have not been separate but linked to H5 as a "holder" for my programs, but a small easy, space saving automatable holder.
by mpayne0
Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Halion Sonic SE content missing

Why is there not just an answer about this?

I haven't even updated, but I am sick and tired of seeing this same question unanswered (not just this forum) for weeks now.

Why not sticky a response? I just don't understand? I think this is where members become frustrated.
by mpayne0
Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Logical Editor: randomize lengths

Oh... variable randomize based off of the note's length

To prevent short notes from using the same settings as a long note's random lengthening, I suppose?

hmm +1
by mpayne0
Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Separate Offset for Timebased Ruler

+1 again.

You can even do this in photoshop.
by mpayne0
Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Grand Trap

It's subjective but yes I do think there is a difference between 16 and 24 bit (otherwise they would not offer both!)

In HSO, the difference is there on solos if you study it, it's ok for a few layers, once you start really stacking, the sound is just not as clear, it's that little difference that matters to me at least, it's like I'm either going to use a clean compressor or a colored one. Subjective.

TG3SE does not have as many Pianos, and less mic positioning. If you weren't to compare 16 vs 24, in that case I doubt you would question the quality, only when comparing things is it an issue, isn't it funny how that works?

edit: Where is this sale??

edit: Got it. Never knew anything about it. Shouldn't ALL SE users get an email?

http://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pages/valentines_day_sale.html?et_cid=15&et_lid=20&et_sub=Valentines
by mpayne0
Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Grand Trap

Thanks a lot Mpayne,

I am happy with what and got and for the price of it.

Why do you call it 'TG3SE' please ??

Regarding the 'stacking', luckily this is something that is not done with Grand Pianos.

Ta,

Paul
It's shorthand for The Grand 3 SE.
Actually I have the demo, and was interested in upgrading either to full or to SE. I concluded that the SE version would suffice for the price until another solution comes, Eggs in 2 or 3 baskets ya know? ;)

No stacking, but big chords, long tails, fast music...
But yeah Piano is one of those things, so harmonic and rich, I don't think it's a game changer as far as a beautiful music piece, to use 16 bit, sometimes, I do prefer it (16) alongside other VSTi, as 24/32 bit stuff can sound too perfect, too shiny and clean.
by mpayne0
Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

^ I agree.

There are bugs, and then there are things that simply are not well thought out or diligently tested in house by real users. I can appreciate bug testing, I did a lil HTML back in the day. But error, quality testing, workflow... hard to have an excuse.
by mpayne0
Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

If I have the arrangement window large enough to cover half the mixer, I am finding a very hard time figuring out a "safezone" to click over. Most of the mixer is hotspot and activates some contextual.

Currently I am tracking all the way to the far bottom of mixer to find the 4 grey squares, on some channels 2 of those squares are blank, and safe. This is a lot of navigation.

What am I doing wrong. I don't prefer a command for this.
by mpayne0
Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I guess most people have shortcuts...

but for anyone who doesn't (I have 1000s of software shortcuts to remember for my day job, no more space!)
what are you aiming for?
by mpayne0
Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was never able to wrap my head around expose, I wanted to. I have been meaning to re-familiarize myself with the latest incarnation of it. I also am an old dog and only use mouse, I refuse to learn gestures!

clicking the peak meter... yes that's a little better, but it resets it (if that's important to you).

I guess my point is that it is something they should consider... whether clicking the (out-of-focus) mixer should open a context menu, or should I click to focus the mixer first, then it can respond to contextual menu areas.
by mpayne0
Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nowhere.

The 6.5 mixer always has focus, so does the project window. 8-)
No accidental change of mixer settings, working keycommands, working Generic Remote, working (!) workspaces, fast plugin menu, no Kermit view in mixer, easy CR submixes, relatively few bugs, no showstoppers ...
Hard to beat a well thought out product like that.
ymmv,
Rhino
I agree but there are a lot of great features in the new console, enough for me to deal with the gymnastics involved.

I'm probably gaining more in terms of desk efficiency than I'm losing by the navigation.

But you would think that with all the squeezing and contracting we can do it wouldn't be an issue, I guess that's what they thought, but when you get into a mixer that has the channels squashed into an accordion, that, yeah asking too much.
by mpayne0
Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg / Arturia V-Collection

TAL has got Juno covered here, but Jupiter...

actually this set is looking very good, while I was trying to stop adding instruments I don't have the time to use while still getting thru HALion.

But this is heck of a collection. Would love a Wurli.
by mpayne0
Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: grain formant

Formant is a control that preserves timbre when pitch shifting, or something like that, which you probably know, but yeah I have just crossed this section of the manual myself... thought I'd quickly find an answer but alas the modulations are described, omitting the description for formant modulation!

I'm guessing this allows you to modulate the range of formant tone shifting

I suppose you could loosely refer to pg. 112, 179, 181.
by mpayne0
Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
mpayne0 wrote:TAL has got Juno covered here, but Jupiter...

What does TAL mean please ??

Togu Audio Line makes excellent analogue emulations.

Check out their TAL UNO series, it will make you smile ear to ear.

Just sounds SO good incorporated into tunes, just gels.
by mpayne0
Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you search the thread on GearSlutz you might find folks trying to A/B the emu vs the original. I think the dev also had some demo sounds, but really there is no need, it is there and it is good.

Some of them are free, the basic older versions are free, the actual emulations are priced very favorably.

One thing about the full version Juno is that the controls are so smooth for a VST GUI, it really allows you to get tight tweaking and the interpolation while using a knob or slider is exceptional.
by mpayne0
Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI Editor zooming

I can appreciate this request, if there isn't already a way to do it.

I have this problem as well, but just always dealt with it.

Can you FR this thread?
by mpayne0
Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The problem is I only want the Jupiter, but I look at the bundle price and I'm left in the middle!

Another thing is that I'm not even that sure Jupiter 8V is containing the exact Roland sounds I've been looking for.
I want those hybrid-y brassy string sounds that seem to be a supersaw blended with real horns. Since these are all "synths" I'm not sure I can get that (and other) hybrid sounds. I know those sounds (supernatural?) are part of certain memory disks that can be connected via USB, I'm not sure their actual origin.
by mpayne0
Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Signatures, signatures...... (??)

I used to have such an embarrassing sig back in the old Cubase forums.

Stuff like

Sampletank, Sampletank XL w/ Tron, Ozone, Battery/2, Trilogy, Universal Sound Module, Wave PPG, Roland PC300 keyboard, Tascam US428, Monster Cable

Every dumb little thing I had got added into that, I thought it was so cool when the list spanned 5 lines of plugins, at one point I had IK ARC... so funny, I'm an amateur but I am not that rookie anymore!
by mpayne0
Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

@ Paul, thanks for this thread !

@ everybody - great stuff !

Record VSTi instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export ...
@ JM Cecil - this one's big !
Nothing's gonna stop you from recording audio tracks or groups that way either afaics ... :geek:
Or use it "on the fly" as starting point to create reverse vocals, reverse FX or other cool stuff for a few bars, with free choice or mix of sources :o - my projects will have one track more in the future !

impressed,
Rhino i always keep this record track up and in a split arrange mode. that way it's always visible and always ready to quickly capture whatever needs to be realtime-bounced-in-place. also good for recording realtime noodling on synths then choosing the good bits and so on. Wonderful idea. Keeping this hard wired live REC buss so to speak.
by mpayne0
Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Very thorough video! Definitely getting a good 80s vibe from that.

As far as I can go in the site, the entire collection is still @ $399.00, while the individual is at $129 (USD).
by mpayne0
Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

oh! OK I just looked at the Arturia site, and found out that the singles are $99 for download/$129 box

I think $399 must have the discount included. There are 10 (!) synths (maybe too much choices for myself!) so around 55% I guess you end up around that final price $399..

I probably do not want 10 synths from the same company because I am afraid that may have a "family sound". Or the effects will be shared between the synths, something like that.

I like the 8V, the Wurli, possibly Prophet.

I should add that Trilian Bass Synthesizer has sampled excellent bass from many of these synths, I really like using that already, they are not modeled... I actually enjoy using the Trilian Juno samples alongside the TAL UNO emulation, just makes me feel warm inside. But again, in that case they are not the same, it is not family sound, and I prefer that to a degree.
by mpayne0
Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

H5 is very deep.

It has synthesis capability in it's rawest, but it doesn't replace the well thought out, tried and trusted schematics of those famous synths. They are about workflow and certain combination of component that produce those sounds, and how you are inspired by the layout. HW or SW.

H5 is more modular system, requires more of having an initial ideal sound and going thru the building blocks of the program to produce it. Of course it has capable synth presets, I mean it can do anything you need, but I can't compare it on the workflow angle. You can of course call up from 1000s of synth/sample sounds, maybe 10s of 1000s!

If you have built a collection of synth sample folders, H5 is good for collecting and cataloguing, making splits, creating complex dynamic patches, with round robin and velocity. Its a full fledged music scripter.

I admit that because I have H5, I'm not too quick to buy new synths, I feel the need to learn it first, and H5 opens up new territory for all the years of unused samples on my HD, it's like a library of so much material, it's maddening! If you get H5 be ready for it to consume ya! :D
by mpayne0
Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: why so many new versions so fast

I get both sides of this...

If you're a pro and your equipment doesn't work though, if it's preventing you from serving your customer, and you need to keep searching for fixes... I mean, you should take a look at yourself.

Keep it as simple as you need to keep your customer satisfied.
If that's a lifelong mission, you're doing something wrong, or perhaps in the wrong field.

Sometimes I chuckle at certain forums with people calling themselves engineers or musicians even, all they talk about are their tech issues day after day, year after year. Remind me not to use YOU when I need something. Some of these guys I have never read one sentence about the actual art. It's just a lifelong journey of searching the best plug-in, best setup, how to fix this and that. If you're making great art, you should be fine. This idea about last 3% or whatever... whaaaateva. Excuses.
by mpayne0
Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You mean complicated and will take a long time to learn ??
I think it depends on how deep you want to go. You can always load presets, or if you want to go deeper and use it as a traditional synth, you have your oscillators, filters, env, etc. If you want to go very deep and construct full samples sets, I think it helps to have used libraries that feature keyswitching, round robin, velocity layering... if you have a base understanding of that, you can 'reverse' learn H5. That's what I'm doing. Overall it's very layered, I'm sure veteran users would agree its one of those things you never stop learning!

Well, I have traditional HW equipment as you can see in my 'signature'. But I am trying to learn more about modern day methods of creating music using a PC and software etc. In that case, you might like the modular nature of it. It is classic, it to me speaks of old school signal routing, straight up midi implementation, it is actually very fundamental. I come from SW, I had to learn midi and audio via SW, a lot of it for me is, again 'reverse'! I learn about audio/midi as I go deeper into H5. H5 is very much designed to be intuitive with Cubase users, the language is the same. Unfortunately (LOL) the effects are the same. (OMG if H5 hosted VSTfx, it would be amazing!) Having said that, a familiar language is a good thing. If you use 7.5 Groove Agent, look at the env/filter editors. If you know how to use them, you already know a lot of H5!

So does H5 actually come shipped with any factory Presets/Samples ?? Or does it use (if any) the contents of HALion Sonic(s) ?? Oh yeah it does, more than you would ever need, lots of bread & butter sounds, lots of off the wall stuff, imo there is too much GM and basic stuff few would use, but I respect that they kept it old school, compatible for any end user's goal. It gets tricky and it's semantics, but you get 'synths' within H5: grain synthesis, subtractive, even a pretty good organ. Then you have the sample zone! However those synths are built from the tools under-the-hood of H5. Those osc/filter/env I was talking about - that modular system, well H5 gives you shortcut interfaces... Macros. Groups of controls in one neat place where you can bypass modular workflow and work in more consolidated place. Those are the 'synths'. Potentially you could load Cubase VSTs, osc generators, use Cubase filters, set it all up, and possibly do the same thing without H5... in theory you could LOL, it would not be a good idea.

At the moment I do not have any Samples or a library as such. Only the material I have purchased from the Steinberg site. A huge chunk of the fun is discovering sounds from odd places, over the course of time! At this point, I'm 'over' collecting samples and chucking em into folders at the far ends of my HDs, but when I was doing that, I got amazing free samples from the cover of every Computer Music magazine, my dirty little secret. Nowadays, I carefully plan and buy small specific sample sets. You will have a ball sampling your HW into H5 - infinite possibilities. I'm also planning to import some older 32 bit unusable VSTi back into H5 to bring them back to life, I will mix Halion orchestra with supersaws, maybe give them the release of a bass string... that's the kind of possibility, but this is also where you need to really know what you're doing before it becomes overwhelming. But none of this replaces those synths like the Arturia collection. I have H5 but I will always use Trilian for my bass. I will always use TAL UNO.

Ta,

Paul
Thanks for the discussion!
by mpayne0
Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey Paul,

In some circles there will be a distinction between sampling INTO H5 -and- sampling into Cubase and importing the sample into H5. But anyways, beyond that....

I have heard of those companies, but I have not bought anything. I usually buy specific need stuff, like if I need a clap, congas, I will buy dedicated. I don't use looping or construction material at all. I could be wrong, but I think those companies specialize on construction packs, which are music building blocks imo.

H5 has 'programs' that you load, they are containers for different type of zones, synth or sample zones. So yes there are presets that already have samples incorporated in the patch. The patch might have a combination of samples and synths. You can always extract the sample from the patch, if you want to focus on the sample.

But yeah, it's not like a sample library or anything. The incorporated sample in H5 are probably catered towards layering textures.

Building a library will depend on what kind of tunes you create! I love live music, and try to incorporate those elements in my music, so I go for multisampled snares, tambourine, claps, sometimes Jupiter 8V stabs LOL, I am still looking for a good conga library. I do not go for samples that are someone else making synth sounds, but I have plenty of that stuff from freebie CD. Keep in mind that the free magazine CD stuff was once part of a purchasable collection, free samples do not mean cheap quality!

I'll give you this though, buying those libraries mean that the samples are properly tagged and foldered. This saves you so much headache when you want to import an entire key/velo range into H5. It reads the tags and places everything where it should go. My piecemeal samples mean that I will need a few days to get it working.
by mpayne0
Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I see. So you can use the Presets in their 'default' form, of you can extract the samples to use them in isolation (or to re-combine with something else). Yeah, Halion lends itself extremely well to 'swapping'. You have a program list, a program tree. and program slots. Without getting into that, you have these hierarchical containers where you can expose a patch's contents and extract what you want into your 'working' patch. I'd almost suggest that it is The point of Halion 5!

So the Presets you get with H5 are NOT duplicates of the other HALion libraries ?? Ah I gotcha. Yeah they actually are dups. Check this out. http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/halion_and_halion_sonic/line_up.html I guess you do get 300 special patches! But going back to the 'swap' workflow, and looking at 2800 patches, you kinda see what you're working with. Hey I'm new to this too, so I'm also wrapping my head around how to use this. There are some users here who get VERY deep, I'm envious :lol:

I have always played LIVE in bands (unless I am backing a show in which playing along to a 'click track accomp.') most of my life though recently I ran a Duo in which we used MP3 backing tracks (and I muted the main keyboard parts which I played myself on my Nord and Roland JV1080). What I would really like is to learn about how to understand and create 'Electronic' music (like DANCE etc). Lots of people (I read in forums) seem to use ABLETON rather than Cubase, or sometimes in conjunction with via REWIRE. There is a college in my nearest city (Liverpool) called SAE and it runs a 6 x month course dedication to the letter mentioned. It is 2 x evenings per week (3 x hours each) costing around £2,000. There is so much information these days, some forums are very good. I don't post at them, but occasionally look thru Reaper forums and KVR, the people there are kind and share tons, I mean they drop college courses in some threads, if you look hard enough. I also like Groove 3, $15 per month gets you all access, the information you can get there is astonishing. I like to get an hour a night in, and I read everything whether it's relevant to my setup or not.

Simple, quick and easy is a method I will be preferring at my elementary stage. You'll be fine! Simple, quick and easy is how I prefer to do things at every stage, keeps it fun! :D
by mpayne0
Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I see you have a Suitcase.

Have you tried Neo Soul Keys as well?
by mpayne0
Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

haha glad to hear that. I love Rhodes sounds, and thought it was very sweet, I always use it, even if for a low bass key under another synth.

Would also be interested in your opinion on the Model C if you get a chance to run thru it.
by mpayne0
Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In H5!

The control set they provide is fantastic. Having that kind of mod control makes me very happy!

There is a hum from the vibrato component, but that's only if you're working at very low levels.
by mpayne0
Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Ok, I will check it out next week. I am moving flat this weekend so won't have my gear set up. Plus I still have some serious issues with my Cubase which I am hoping Steinberg can fix when possible.

Good luck with everything!
by mpayne0
Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: vstsoundfile for checkup

I will hopefully check it out soon to see how you did things.
by mpayne0
Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

:lol: what the heck is going on here?

haha some good points being made, I'm just glad I'm not alone.

I would be good for mixer font size options, at the very least.
by mpayne0
Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.

I HATE having to use contextual click to open up a VSTi. The sound generator, the reason why I am even using a DAW to make music. Th eone thing that should not need a control click is opening the thing that actually makes the sound.

If you made a new mixer to make it more flexible and added navigational improvements, efficient use of space... when you made me have to touch the keyboard, while clicking for something I'm going to do 1000s of times during a session, for me it kinda defeats a purpose.

I would rather control click to use the EQ, which I rarely use... you have a ginormous control strip that gives me access to the EQ already. Is this the new convention or is there a way to get it to stop NOW. Does anyone enjoy it, were you always accidentally opening up your VSTi?
by mpayne0
Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No I am demoing it first, because I figured if I bought it, I would be looking at that combo deal and slapping myself if I ever were interested in 1 or 2 more.

Maybe they aren't quite what I'm looking for at the moment, a lot of appreg and modulation and whiny high pitch, while I'm looking for a classic synthy multi saw brass (without the long release). But there are a few I can work from, the "w JP_8_xx" are good classic-er sounds.

I'm hearing delay on some, but I don't see an FX page... is that from the appreg? I have never used this synth.

And by now I'm sure I'm limited to the patches but no controls.

Yes you are probably correct that its running in Demonstration Mode.

I agree, I am not at all interested in the modern presets with the Arp and heavy Mod patches. Its still very very good but I would have liked it to be a little more 'classic'.

I heard the exact presets you refer to regarding FX. Sounded like very heavy Delays. I will have a look into it as it also puzzled me. First thanks for responding. I am literally right in the middle of it, and need to keep going. I will probably go ahead and buy it, and hope it works. If I feel good about it, I'll still probably then get the collection and take the loss.

One thing, the weird presets do give me a feel of the range of this synth, and I am not hearing anything cheap sounding. It can do 8 bit type to ambient to core mangle. Very dynamic, and it sounds 'Roland' whatever that means.

I have quite a few brass patches created in other synths, and I could use them, but they never really give me 'that' warm lush ... thing. Even TAL Juno wasn't 'thick' enough. But I hear something in (w) 21, 28, 52, 45, 36 and 35 that maybe if I spent some time balancing, I could get it.
by mpayne0
Sat May 03, 2014 2:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am trying the obvious ADSR. Nothing. It can't be that subtle. Maybe this is a demo limitation?

Not crazy about the presets, was hoping to find something called "Power Brass".

Why might you think you have a DEMO version ?? Did you only download a 'Trial' of it ??

I thought the Presets were mostly amazing apart from the ones which are (in my opinion) too 'modern' sounding. There are some Brass patches but not the one you mention.
No I am demoing it first, because I figured if I bought it, I would be looking at that combo deal and slapping myself if I ever were interested in 1 or 2 more.

Maybe they aren't quite what I'm looking for at the moment, a lot of appreg and modulation and whiny high pitch, while I'm looking for a classic synthy multi saw brass (without the long release). But there are a few I can work from, the "w JP_8_xx" are good classic-er sounds.

I'm hearing delay on some, but I don't see an FX page... is that from the appreg? I have never used this synth.

And by now I'm sure I'm limited to the patches but no controls.
by mpayne0
Sat May 03, 2014 1:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am trying the obvious ADSR. Nothing. It can't be that subtle. Maybe this is a demo limitation?

Not crazy about the presets, was hoping to find something called "Power Brass".
by mpayne0
Sat May 03, 2014 1:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Really torn though, because H5 was supposed to be the all encompassing sound bank, and now here I'm ready to buy a plethora of more sounds, it means that I can't focus on any one thing.

Looking at your gear list, I guess you had a reason to have different ways of approaching things.

I did play with a real J8 and J5, they are of course a bit creamier, but the deal is that it still has the supernatural addition, which I don't think a non sampled VST can do. If they made a smaller footprint rompler string machine that I could fit on a desk, I'm sure they would make a lot of money! I mean with the AIRA stuff, that also makes me hesitant, what if next they have a little green thing that has the j8/j5 sounds...ughh.
by mpayne0
Sat May 03, 2014 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Really torn though, because H5 was supposed to be the all encompassing sound bank, and now here I'm ready to buy a plethora of more sounds, it means that I can't focus on any one thing.

Looking at your gear list, I guess you had a reason to have different ways of approaching things.

I did play with a real J8 and J5, they are of course a bit creamier, but the deal is that it still has the supernatural addition, which I don't think a non sampled VST can do. If they made a smaller footprint rompler string machine that I could fit on a desk, I'm sure they would make a lot of money! I mean with the AIRA stuff, that also makes me hesitant, what if next they have a little green thing that has the j8/j5 sounds...ughh.

Yes, I know. Its very difficult to try and predict what's coming out next. Nord are the WORST. I was totally gutted when I bought my Stage Classic and then soon after superior models came out (had I have waited a little longer).

I am more of a 'player' and 'hardware' man than a technician and computer generated composer. Though I really want to learn all this new stuff (but I struggle with certain aspects like the PC side of things).

Wow, that's amazing you have played on a real Jupiter. I have never even seen one in the flesh. I guess they are quite heavy to carry?? The DX7 is built like a tank and so heavier than I expected. DX21 is more plasticky and light as a feather.

Paul They are HUGE. Quite daunting really. If people carry them around for gigs, more power to them lol

The tech stuff comes, just learn only what you need to get things going, don't try to add too much complexity.

So.... I just tested, The Arturia J8 works standalone on my mac (I just brought down the release and hear this resonancy thing, :lol: oh dear!). But speaking of complexity, I do not want to buy this and have to fight to get it to work in Cubase. Bit gutted. I must be missing something here.
by mpayne0
Sat May 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OK, I opened an empty project and it works. Maybe I just had some glitch...

No I only have Mac. I quickly installed the demo, and attempted to throw the J8V into a busy project. It appears to be working now (?) Looks like I avoided another 'fight' .

In all of this, I ran thru the Prophet. The low end on it, wow. The organs, whew. Yeah I need the collection. This may sound better than the TAL stuff, TAL cuts thru the mix, but these sound more true... I guess.
by mpayne0
Sat May 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Togu Audio Line , they emulate the JUNO line, quite nice, although I have never to my knowledge heard a Juno solo/live, so I don't have a real basis. It's a tiny more forward in sound, but the real deal is the way they design the controls, they feel smooth, the interpolation, even using a mouse, is something you don't see a lot. With this J8, it looks like a minor issue, there is not a lot of knob travel space to hear the transitions, say if you wanted to really fine tune a setting. You can get the free TAL chorus, and a few other goodies as well.
by mpayne0
Sat May 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Togu Audio Line , they emulate the JUNO line, quite nice, although I have never to my knowledge heard a Juno solo/live, so I don't have a real basis. It's a tiny more forward in sound, but the real deal is the way they design the controls, they feel smooth, the interpolation, even using a mouse, is something you don't see a lot. With this J8, it looks like a minor issue, there is not a lot of knob travel space to hear the transitions, say if you wanted to really fine tune a setting.

Ok, cheers I had never heard of them (Togu) before.

I won a Juno 6 on eBay just before Xmas. The seller was a DORK and did not package it up properly (and charged me £50 postage) !! I opened a dispute and got £20 back for the P&P. I think the seller was gutted he let it go for so cheap. In any case, it was not damaged and I got it for only £400. Its having a mini service at the moment and also a modified 'Chorus' component because the current one is a bit 'hissy' (though this is a very common fault).

I think Potentiometers on the JP8 are not quite as smooth as they could be (for fine tuning). But I can live with it. Yeah I'm so sorry to troll the forum with my posts, but I can imagine the real JUNO is a lot better to play the real thing, it seems more for immediate action, whereas the J8 VST you can just hit a key and let it sustain, which suffices for a VSTi. But yeah the GUI is tough. I can't get anything from the cutoffs. Thats like the most important section of the entire synth. It's like 350 to 700 on the mouse and nothing in between, if I use any contextual keys it just freezes? No precision at all eh? I don't like that but I can live with it, it's just the sound of that synth. I got such a good supersaw sound I can't complain!

I did see the delay mod on the left btw, I don't have time for that :)

I actually prefer the Prophet to this overall! Just seems richer.
by mpayne0
Sun May 04, 2014 4:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UNDO for the mixer. Absolutely necessary!

Maybe you guys do it all the time, but I am not keen on using automation for mixer undos man.

It doesn't matter to me what a "system" did in the 70s. we are talking about a modern DAW system which we have invested a lot of time and technology into. This is not a console, right? If I wanted that, I could always branch out into the N12 or something.

What are you suggesting exactly, so I'm clear. You have all tracks armed for automation at all times just in case you need to step back for whatever reason? wow, not sure everyone would like that way of working, kinda sounds like a cluster-uknowhat. I'd rather not 'track' my moves that way, it feels like uneccessary project/arrangement complication, where I think we want it kinda tucked under the hood. Keep automation for music, undo as a utility!

That sounds as bad as the hoops and loops used to get a simple sidechain going. But again, I know people who love those kinds of journies lol... people were like "oh it's fine, just create 3 channels, go into options, send this and that, its easy" Bet those folx aint complaining about the little sidechain button. ;)
by mpayne0
Thu May 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FR: drag/drop IR's to REVerence

Right here with you. 8-)

Entire folder from desktop right over the interface.
by mpayne0
Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.

I HATE having to use contextual click to open up a VSTi. The sound generator, the reason why I am even using a DAW to make music. Th eone thing that should not need a control click is opening the thing that actually makes the sound.

If you made a new mixer to make it more flexible and added navigational improvements, efficient use of space... when you made me have to touch the keyboard, while clicking for something I'm going to do 1000s of times during a session, for me it kinda defeats a purpose.

I would rather control click to use the EQ, which I rarely use... you have a ginormous control strip that gives me access to the EQ already. Is this the new convention or is there a way to get it to stop NOW. Does anyone enjoy it, were you always accidentally opening up your VSTi?

I agree that Control+Click to open a VSTi is not a step forward but have you thought of assigning a key command for this? For things you do 1000's of times in a session, it saves so much time, even before they brought in the Control+Click method. I have 'V' assigned to open the instrument on the selected channel and it's one of my most time saving key commands.
This may sound weird, but I still have the psychological need to actively open an instrument by button, that kind of thing I do not like a key shortcut for. I only want it to be one click

Having to select the channel first, then use the keyboard... I dunno, I would rather just look at my channels and click a button and be done. It has worked this way since I started with old Cubasis. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. We need to make sure they don't just start changing things permenantly for no reason, so I am against shortcuts to fix things that are broken. That's what they WANT you to do, no I demand this stuff make sense, I will use my shortcuts intuitively the way I do in all software, not as workarounds.
by mpayne0
Thu May 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stop same plug-ins on every track. Help!

I am not exactly sure, but I know it might be difficult to tell if a track has been linked.

Are you sure those tracks aren't linked?
by mpayne0
Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Groove Agent 4 announcement

Love the conga options! First time I have seen fingering options, palm and mute.. should be fun, but so far not come across velocity multi sample per piece, and round robin settings. How many velocities and robins for a finger tap, for ex.

This is critical info if I'm buying into an additional drum program. You fill in these sort of blanks and it will be worth it!

Oh yeah... gotta mess the hair up, too clean for that type of beard. Looks hipsterish. :lol:
by mpayne0
Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic