Search found 11 matches

Return

Re: RME users: Is TotalMix FX a replacement for Control Rm?

Yes, I too use TotalMix and not Control Room, partly because I love the basic volume / dim integration with the interface, and partly cos I do a lot of work in Pro Tools and other DAWs as well as Cubase, which would all require different solutions otherwise. It takes a while to get your head around, but its very flexible and, for basic operation day to day, quick and easy combined with the hardware.
by noiseboyuk
Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Track Visibility Management: Show Tracks With Useful Data

Track Visibility Management is one of the best new features in 7.5, but I think there's a lot more potential to really revolutionise workflow. Here's an option I'd like to add to the range of options in the Track Visibility menu.

Show Tracks With Useful Data would be an ability to set conditions created by the user as a default. Here are some very useful conditions which could be set:

Exclude opening bars. Many template users always set the first few bars to set CC commands and / or keyswitches. As such, all tracks will contain data, so usual "show all tracks which contain data" will be useless. The user could define a number of bars which could be excluded by default by the Show Useful Data command.

Exclude CC. Would typically return only midi tracks with note information.

Include VST outputs with midi tracks. If a midi track contains useful data (as defined by the other options), the outputs from rack instruments from the connected VST are also shown by default.

ONE ADDITIONAL REQUEST "Show audio tracks only" should include VST rack return tracks.
by noiseboyuk
Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 'Classic Mode' Instrument Rack

Just to add a bit to my previous post - I didn't realise just how game-changing it has been to be able to name instruments, easily the best feature in the new rack. I have a complex template with over 400 midi tracks using several instances of VEP using all 8 channels in for each. Finding my way around has always been difficult, and I'd taken to using long track names to help me keep track. Now I can name each instance logically, it's super-clear to find my way around now. Track names are now simple again and it's much easier to see routing.

I don't think there's any chance of Steinberg rolling back to the old version, but just to say again I'm a big -1 on this suggestion. However much a PITA the new HUGE GUI is, it's far less inconvenient than not being able to name your plugs. The obvious solution is for Steinberg to simply add a proper collapsed mode to the new rack - I'm +1 on that.
by noiseboyuk
Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: High latency since 7.5.1

USB is not suitable for professional audio.

What absolute rubbish.

Couldn't let that pass unchallenged. Anyway, like others, I strongly suspect that the issue isn't 7.5.1. I had some problems recently and it was a slow problem tracking it down using LatencyMon and DPC Latency checker. It took several hours but in my case I isolated it to the Blu Ray drive, which was quietly going nuts in the background. Unbelievably (and this really is unbelievable, I would never have believed it if it hadn't happened to me), merely putting a disc in made all the problems vanish completely.

Funny things, computers.

Windows computers.

Using 7.5.1 and 23gb of template on VE Pro 4 I was on 1024, now its a very very comfortable 256 (7ms in each direction) - I could easily go lower, but that latency is easily good enough for me and I'd rather have it running with plenty of horsepower to spare.
by noiseboyuk
Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: High latency since 7.5.1

OK, good - looks like your system generally is ok. If you're hearing half a second when its reporting 11ms, then clearly something is wildly amiss within Cubase. Maybe it is something specifically to do with 7.5.1, but AFAIK no-one else has reported an issue like this so if it is it must be very configuration-specific.

If you've disabled all other soundcards and its made no difference, you could try swapping to Asio4all drivers (free download). They're pretty good, and it will isolate if its a specific driver compatibility problem to do with the C12 and Cubase (which would be ironic if it was). I do know that Steinberg hardware doesn't have the greatest reputation for drivers, so it's not impossible I guess.

You can safely ignore the generic internal soundcard advice, as you've experienced its perfectly possible to get consistent, excellent results via USB from a solid manufacturer.

Good luck, keep us posted.
by noiseboyuk
Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

Sonik wrote:After the update my McMix don't work... :shock:

That's worrying - does anyone else have this?

Also someone referred to fixing a EuCon bug... what EuCon bug? I finally have everything working great here in 7.5.1!
by noiseboyuk
Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

After the update my McMix don't work... :shock:

That's worrying - does anyone else have this?

Also someone referred to fixing a EuCon bug... what EuCon bug? I finally have everything working great here in 7.5.1!
All working correctly here. MC Control, Mix, Transport. I don't know what Eucon "bug" he is talking about either.

Good stuff, thank you. Will install in the morning I think. Sonik - if 7.5.2 resets some preferences, it didn't just uncheck EuCon in Control Surfaces, did it?

Good to hear those ASIO reports. I've had some bonkers performance meter stuff with Play 4 sometimes, then it just goes away. In general VE Pro is always a more solid host than Cubase, so all performance improvements appreciated.
by noiseboyuk
Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I updated EuCon to 3.1.2 and now it works good, and without the annoying crash when closing Cubase! :)

Ah ok - I never had a crash on exit for this computer (pretty new) but the old one with identical settings did.

However, I did lie on everything working correctly over EuCon - the CC automation over EuCon merging with regular merging hasn't been working for some time. Will resurrect a thread on that.

(here is the thread - grateful for contributions / confirmations / workarounds - http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=56070 )
by noiseboyuk
Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Moving midi automation between tracks not working?

Thanks again, Steve - thread now up in features and suggestions - viewtopic.php?f=182&t=58423
by noiseboyuk
Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8 and EuCon

This thread has some info in it - viewtopic.php?f=226&t=69720 - I'm going to try trashing prefs later today / tomorrow to see if it fixes my autobanking problem.
by noiseboyuk
Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Large font on Tracks

Jalcide wrote:Yeah, the Console Mixer has very small text now.

I love the fonts in the mixer. I can go pretty small and read everything perfectly. It's meant I can pack more in on the screen and still see what's going on very clearly.

I agree the track fonts are anomalous in C8.
by noiseboyuk
Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic