Search found 10 matches

Return

Re: Some basic questions - i7 or Xeon E5?

Dual Xeons are a complete waste of money for 95% of studios.
a Xeon and a desktop processor are the exact same product.

the only reason to go Xeon on a single processor board is to jump to 10/12 core and you had better buy one of the higher GHz Xeons or its going to be slower than the 4930K.

if you over clock the 4930K a Xeon even with 12 cores would be hard pressed to keep up.
a big plus 1 for scanUK
or Daw plus in Germany.

titan is clueless about audio
by JCschild
Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

hey,
FWIW... my opinion.

first this:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/xeon-e3-1200v2-workstation-desktop-guide.pdf

it gives an insight in the different architectures of intel.
Then think about what is your goal. The example above is an intel doc for CAD computing. So this is far heavier than audio processing.

Spending heavy amounts of cash on expensive cores is one thing. It is not every time the best solution for DAWs, certainly if budget is important. An expensive system needs to be alligned overall.

example taking from the internet:http://www.adkproaudio.com/choose2.asp

An alternative option is to spread the resources over multiple systems and link them.
Look for software like this:
http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/#
This software is add on for a DAW like cubase and makes a network of computers but they are handled within the DAW that acts as a master. The other systems are slaves.
It gives you an opportunity to go into some direction without spending all at once.
drawbacks: more workflow to learn and more dongles are needed (but a dongle is cheap)

also watch out for internal graphic cards of the i-family processors. For the moment they are stable since the last update, but when graphics need to be handled by the processor, this can interfere with the audio processing.

choosing between xeon an i7 is like choosing between fiat and bmw. So yes xeon is more stable, has broader pipelines, is build for servers and thus more durable, and so on. The price tag is likewise.

but with an i7 you can run 50 vstis nowadays without any problem within cubase as long as you take the core handling into account. (never do too much within one vsti, since it will blow a single core and blow your performance, and leaving a lot of power unused)

so hope this gives you some starting point. I hope others on the forum with studios will jump in and guide you towards more...

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I remember those days also the pencil trick with Athlons later.
fortunately nothing that crazy anymore.

too complicated to list here sorry

I would stay with win 7
by JCschild
Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Aux sends starting at 0db ... how to change that?

Preferences -> VST -> Default Send Level
by likelystory
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006050%20600083963%20600000279&IsNodeId=1&name=1.35V

sadly I wouldn't touch any of these options. I used to like Mushkin but then they started changing chips faster than I change underwear.

Gskill has/had some decent 1.35v wait found it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231736

just have to buy 2 sets and hope both sets are
1) the same Eeprom programing
2) the same chips.

the way most these guys work is they buy the cheapest chips they can. so week 12 batch is different than week 13 might be Elpida one week and hundai the next

also you may be ok with 4 sticks of a different batch (depending on their XMP) but if you try to add 4 more forget it.

again there is a reason we spent a fortune getting our own ram up and running. not what I wanted to do and I get sick to my stomach every time I have to order more or worse send the wire transfer the following month. :o
by JCschild
Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PC-users: Dependency on Apple

I personally don't use ... iC Pro just because I don't wan to install any Apple soft. on PC.
You can use Android iC Pro, without ANY PC Apple software by using a fixed IP address on your PC and specifying that in each iC Pro device at connect time.

Unfortunately, SB forgot to include remembering the IP as an option. How lazy of SB, and how much like sheep do they think we are. I think they think that we are too stupid to know about IP addresses that we need to have a whole Bonjour service installed just to do that small thing.

I disable the Homegroup services in Windows because I don't want so-called 'smart' programs trying to usurp network control.
by Patanjali
Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Slowly loosing faith? Can NOT insert Halion in Nuendo6.5

You can increase the number of GDI objects in win7 in the registry. Open regedit and in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\GDIProcessHandleQuota" you can set it. The values allowed there are between 256 and 65536. After changing the value you have to restart. But do not set it to 65k because this is the system wide limit and you do not want to let Nuendo use all GDI objects, or? ;) I think a value of 15000-20000 or so, would be fine for you.
Hope this helped.
by riwe
Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Slowly loosing faith? Can NOT insert Halion in Nuendo6.5

OS? Re: printing tracks - I believe there is a windows limitation GDI objects which can cause graphic freezes. Check using Process Explorer or Task Manager with GDI objects enabled, from memory it's around 10k objects which can cause graphic freezes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Device_Interface#Limitations)
by likelystory
Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HELP! (Urgent) "Corrupted Project File"

Have you tried changing the file extension from bak to npr?
Make a copy of the file first and put it somewhere safe just in case.

I don't use Auto save at all for this very reason.
Plus the interruptions of work every time auto save kicks in.
Would drive me insane.

I save often and use a naming scheme.
Second nature now.
by Rotund
Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VCA faders in Nuendo

As Hugh said: if they don't get it right in Nuendo there will be more noise.

There will be a LOT more noise than in the Cubase forum if NOT fixed/changed.

We need a complete seperation between the Group/Link system and the VCA fader/track function IMO.

After a quick "walk into it" I agree here a lot. I am very used to the group/link thing and in the first moment I was wondering about the sense of that VCA thing - because I am using group/link all the time - but in the same time it always happens to me that I want to tweak a single fader (for example) and forgot about that the group is still active - and then I move a lot faders by accident. That VCA should work different here - otherwise this will not make much sense for me and I will use grouping/linking/quick link instead.

Hello,

Nuendo 7 will get a slightly different VCA implementation than Cubase Pro 8 due to requirements
of post-production workflows. It will offer more flexibility and won't be linked to the LINK/GROUP functions.

Thanks,
Timo
by TimoWildenhain
Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic