Search found 4 matches

Return

Re: MIDI Track Pitch Bend

I 100% agree that the controller lanes are clunky. I feel like a programmer working with a backend interface rather than a musician working with something built for a musician. There are so many great UI ideas out there now via third party plugins for working with MIDI automation, sequencing, etc.

I posted about note bends specifically a couple months ago...
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=54418

And now having further developed my thoughts on the issue (specifically in the context of guitar), again today...
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=56782

My feeling was it might be easier to deal with this sort of thing in the scoring editor, but would love to have simple controls for the same things in the piano roll where I am more comfortable composing anyway. The list editor I have rarely touched. That really makes me feel like I've stepped into another world.
by Greg Houston
Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pan Law for the biggest sounding mix

Constructive feedback on the mix is appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Overall I'm digging it.

Personally I like to remain centered while listening to a track. If something happens on the left side I want something to be balancing it on the right side. The male voice that comes in on the left without a counterweight on the right is jarring to me. Over the course of the song there feels like a general inclination to the left side. I also like counterweights to be balanced in how far away they sound. There is a point where the male voice is counter weighted by the female voice, but the female voice is closer and has more "vertical" dimension. It makes my brain skew.

There is a point where it sounds like the snare starts on the left and suddenly moves to the center. This is jarring to me.

I really dig spacious, 3D mixes, but I also like something to anchor the center and something that has a solid quality to it to contrast with the sounds that have been given a more spacious treatment. Otherwise I start to feel like I'm in some sort of ghost realm.

The demos on the 8dio home page for instance are great examples of often wide and very 3D sounding mixes that don't come off as fuzzy or ephemeral.

But again, other than some things I found a little quirky I enjoyed the song. With the loudness wars you don't often get to enjoy spacious mixes though on that subject I was impressed with the latest Beck album, Morning Phase. It is pretty spacious and without making my brain feel like a mushy cloud.
by Greg Houston
Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Complete Cubase with these...

There was a study (cited below) done on internet commenting styles. 5.6% of those involved in the study said they enjoyed trolling, which is surprisingly high to me. This particular group of people scored extremely high in Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, and sadism. Basically they tend to be seriuosly troubled folk. The best you can do is view their posts as entertaining satire and perhaps (to yourself) wish them a healthy mental state.

https://www.academia.edu/6016545/Trolls_just_want_to_have_fun
by Greg Houston
Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pan Law for the biggest sounding mix

I just gave it a quick listen, can probably check it out again later. The acoustic guitar up to 36 seconds seems too loud to me. Strum attacks later in the mix are scratchy on my ears. Really liking the female vocals. If you try to match forward/backward positioning of the vocals I would try to match the male with the female rather than vice versa.
by Greg Houston
Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic