Search found 50 matches

Return

Re: High latency since 7.5.1

USB is not suitable for professional audio.

What absolute rubbish.

Couldn't let that pass unchallenged. Anyway, like others, I strongly suspect that the issue isn't 7.5.1. I had some problems recently and it was a slow problem tracking it down using LatencyMon and DPC Latency checker. It took several hours but in my case I isolated it to the Blu Ray drive, which was quietly going nuts in the background. Unbelievably (and this really is unbelievable, I would never have believed it if it hadn't happened to me), merely putting a disc in made all the problems vanish completely.

Funny things, computers.

Windows computers.

Using 7.5.1 and 23gb of template on VE Pro 4 I was on 1024, now its a very very comfortable 256 (7ms in each direction) - I could easily go lower, but that latency is easily good enough for me and I'd rather have it running with plenty of horsepower to spare.
by noiseboyuk
Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hello,

Off the top of my head, maybe for some mysterious reason the latency rate is not fully "applied". Try changing it to 128 samples which is still very low and apply it. If it works, you can get back to 64. I assume you have checked your VST Audio System under Device setup, and the dedicated ASIO driver for your audio interface is selected.

Good luck.
by ipanema
Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I noticed that no matter what I set the CI2 buffer size too, and what the numbers in cubase say, the latency I am hearing is the same. Another thing I noticed is this new driver called 'high definition audio device'. I tried to delete it but it re-installs itself.

Sounds like the internal sound card on the motherboard is enabled...
Disable it in the bios for starters.

Do you have inserts on your master stereo out?
by Rotund
Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Have you by any chance installed a new video card? I know it sounds strange, but newer cards that use/have an hdmi output also channel sound trough that connection. This is that mysterious "high defenition" sound device. I suspect it is the case, because the Nvidia card I have (altough not an ASUS, but an MSI) also uses that high defenition audio output. Keep in mind that some motherboards have an on-board graphic "card" that can have an hdmi output too. Sometimes you than have to disable not only the primary sound device, but also the high-definition sound device.

I have no idea how to disable this hardware if you do not use an on-board card, because in that case it is not configurable in the motherboard BIOS. However - in my case I just choose my (focusrite) ASIO driver in stead of an high defenition (or any other) device from the pull-down menu in the device setup, and have no latency problem at all..

If you keep having problems you can try looking up the high definition device in the device manager and than just put an check in "do not use this device". Do not remove the device, because it will be re-initialised at reboot. Just disable it, and Windows will not "see" the device any longer.
by JClosed
Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Your screenshot shows Asio Guard is activated. Try turning it off. This may have defaulted to on with your Cubase upgrade.

Steve.
by plectrumboy
Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Are you shure you did not unintentionally insert a Plugin, for example a linear phase EQ that causes latency on the system? This additional latency is NOT reported in the window you showed, there you only see the latency of the soundcard. I just tested it with the LP10 EQ which causes about 50-80msec latency but that window further showed 8.7ms latency.
In playback you will hardly notice it and may work a bit with the changed system but as soon as you start to do things live you notice the mess... My first aid in these cases: deactivate the plugs one by one.
Hope that helped a bit.
by sidfrancis
Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OK, good - looks like your system generally is ok. If you're hearing half a second when its reporting 11ms, then clearly something is wildly amiss within Cubase. Maybe it is something specifically to do with 7.5.1, but AFAIK no-one else has reported an issue like this so if it is it must be very configuration-specific.

If you've disabled all other soundcards and its made no difference, you could try swapping to Asio4all drivers (free download). They're pretty good, and it will isolate if its a specific driver compatibility problem to do with the C12 and Cubase (which would be ironic if it was). I do know that Steinberg hardware doesn't have the greatest reputation for drivers, so it's not impossible I guess.

You can safely ignore the generic internal soundcard advice, as you've experienced its perfectly possible to get consistent, excellent results via USB from a solid manufacturer.

Good luck, keep us posted.
by noiseboyuk
Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

CappacinoKid wrote:I opened a new project and imported everything from the old project and latency was gone. Still weird though cause nothing is different in the new project.

I've read that doing this has fixed a number of other issues people have had in other threads.
by orchetect
Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: High latency since 7.5.1 (resolved)

I had the same problem, half a second's latency no matter what I did. For any reason, don't get it, control room was enabled and when I disabled that one, everything returned to normal.
Computers are strange guys.
Programs are strange guys.
Humans, with all their inconsistencies, are strange but reliable guys.

This forum is human.
by Bystmeier
Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Benefit of recording 32-bit audio?

CappacinoKid wrote:I read that 32 bit float reduces rounding errors caused by plugins and reduces noise from dithering?

Having the same number of bits of precision as 24bit integers means that there is essentially no difference.
by Patanjali
Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Benefit of recording 32-bit audio?

I read that 32 bit float reduces rounding errors caused by plugins and reduces noise from dithering? If you have enough storage, hard drives are cheap, then why not use 32 bit?
Real time plugin processing is executed in the internal 32-bit floating point realm no matter the bit rate on your source files.
Again, what you say only applies when doing a lot of offline processing.

Dithering is only used as the last step (once), when reducing the bit rate to the intended format (ie 24 bit to 16 bit for CD).
Said that, some old plugins/plugin technology has dithering on by default. Which only try cover up bad (or once good, but old) plugin beaviour/programming.
by iBM
Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drum editor weirdness

I've reported this issue here - viewtopic.php?f=184&t=59719
by thermionic
Fri May 16, 2014 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That happened to me.

Because of a persistent error message I got at shut down regarding the Video Engine, I removed videoengine.dll, VideoEngineDecoder.exe, VideoEngineOutputter.exe and VideoEnginePreloader.exe from "Documents and Settings/****/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 7_64" Needless to say I don't I don't use the video function in Cubase.

The error messages stopped and the drum editor problem went away :) Coincidence? Try it - just move the files to a folder on the desktop.
by thermionic
Fri May 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Any luck with this CappacinoKid?
by thermionic
Tue May 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Another anoying drum editor problem

I also experienced this but the problem has gone - along with the video exe's and dlls, now sitting on my desktop in a folder 8-) :) .

Out of interest - which video card do you use? I use a GEFORCE GT 630 4GB.
by thermionic
Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Another anoying drum editor problem

Same product family...I wonder... :?:
by thermionic
Sat May 17, 2014 8:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Drum editor and muting problems

There are a few of us reporting odd behaviour of the drum editor which seems to be fixed by removing all the exes and the dll which provide video functionality. See the thread here http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=59338. There are others reporting this.

I hesitate to use the word "bug" ... but that's what it appears to be. :o
by thermionic
Fri May 16, 2014 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Inactive outputs?

Go to devices, then VST connections. Click on the output tab. Reselect your audio device and outputs in the device port column. If you have any further trouble, please let me know.

Thank you
by Jeff Deno
Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In vst connections you can save the respective input and output settings. Saves time when you have lots of I/O's.
by peakae
Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If it's not one thing it's another...

Aloha C and bummer!

CappacinoKid wrote:Nothing has changed in my system. Why is Cubase crashing?

Perhaps something got corrupted.

If you have not already done so try:

1-Trashing Preferences.
2-Starting Cubase in 'Safe Mode'.

Good Luck!
{'-'}
by curteye
Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No help, but I thought I'd join you.... I recently loaded up a 6 month old project, previously created in Cb7, fully working at that time, yet in Cb7.5 today it instantly and completely locks up the machine. CPU at 100% full time, OS locked, even the mouse gets locked out. The only thing I could do was to remotely shutdown from another PC otherwise I'd have had to hold the power button down. Anyway, I'm not much impressed seeing as this was a project that worked well before. Preferences/safe mode/etc make no difference in my case, hope you have better luck!!

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I suggest that you review the windows error repot file to see if that lists a clue. You might get lucky.

Regards. 8-)
by Prock
Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Glad you got it sorted.

CappacinoKid wrote:ll try re-installing them I guess?

If you do, please let us know the results.
TIA (tanx in advance)
{'-'}
by curteye
Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [SOLVED] If it's not one thing it's another...

I love a 'happy ending'.

Good Luck! (which you already seem to have)
{'-'}
by curteye
Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I realize this may interfere with your performance, but just as a test, have you tried increasing your audio buffer?
by Hopetown
Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have posted on the Toontrack forum, but no answers from their yet.

Tanx for the info.

If you do get an answer from them, please share it here.

{'-'}
by curteye
Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The VST connections are stored in the Project and are not global.
The Active/Inactive states shown in Device settings reflect their states (i.e. if in use) depending on their usage in VST connections.
If you ever open a project without having the specific Hardware interface attached (typically can happen with USB interfaces), the VST connections in that project 'could' be lost and will need to be respecified.
(Always turn on the Interface before starting Cubase! ;) )
by BriHar
Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CMC-PD not working

Do you use an external powered USB-hub? I had a similair problem after I installed too many USB-devices without using an externally powered USB-hub.

Alternatively, re-install Yamahama midi controller driver.

Good luck.
by Rommelaar
Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help setting up interface please

First I would try adjusting the buffer size of your audio interface: click on the focusrite control panel and adjust it around 512 and go from there until you hit the sweet spot.

Next suggestion would be to download the latest driver update for your interface.

Good luck :)
by AP
Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Your input latency looks massive at 40ms you will notice a lag when playing virtual instruments.
Otherwise the set up looks ok.
Make sure it's Focusrite asio driver you are using.
Go to control panel on focusrite to check its set to internal sync.
See if it works ok with Media player if all else fails.
I had problems with my Focusrite 18i6 and needed the beta driver to fix it.
Also it wont like being plugged into a usb3 connection or a Hub.
Plug into direct usb2 from Pc.
Anything else sharing the same usb in out can slow it down i.e external hard drive.
Allways worth running scan disk from bootup to see if that helps.
Mike001
by Mike001
Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why are you using stereo inputs for two mics? Each should be a separate mono input.
by jaredf
Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 30th Anniversary, anything for loyal customers?

Thats like Steinberg saying: "we got your money, now we are not interested in you anymore". While at the same time handing out goodies to those who have nothing..

right! this is the message I've got.... and I'm not the only one here....
who is the marketing genius in steimberg now?

I bet whoever had this idea likes to drink Cafe Latte and has no idea about neither music nor software.

We should not let companies (and capitalist ideology in general) walk over us, but rather stand up and call a foul a foul, whenever it happens. This is not about "entitlement" (which is a nonexistant, wrong concept anyway - but I can see how this word is used to vilify proper arguments), it's about fairness and proper treatment of customers.

Its really sad seeing how so many people have internalized the capitalist "you're not entitled" brainwashing that they don't even question insulting acts from companies anymore.
by TheNavigator
Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Curve EQ demo mode?

if it doesnt want to "play nice in your sandbox" i would try putting it back where it belongs and adding that path to vstplugins list. as mine is in its default directory and working ok.worth a try.
by DLearyUS
Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Curve EQ demo mode?

i have my prefs setup to "display by vendor" so it shows up under "Voxengo" (i have a ton of plugs from same vendors) eg "Audio Damage" etc. so i dont know where it would show up otherwise....i would assume like you it would be under EQ. try changing to display by vendor and rescan all plugs. otherwise i think "demo" problem would be one for steinberg support. good luck its a great plug :)
by DLearyUS
Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Have you tried restarting your computer?

I've been looking and drooling at the PD one for ages, and i read in tears this topic:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=59681

Yup, the "Unavailability of CMC controllers" topic.
They've stopped building them. Before i could get my hands on them. Sadness.
But i find a store that has one in stock, the cleric is as devastated as i am to learn of the discontinuation.
I get it in the mailbox, i grab all the latest downloads (Tools for CMC / Firmware etc), and i install. I connect it.
Nothing. I try a few things, uninstall and reinstall. Nope. Firmware update? Forget about it, CMC device not connected.

In desparation i grab my PC (my production environment is a Mavericks mac) and install stuff there, hoping it's an error with mavericks and the current firmware. I plug it in, and start the Firmware update. It runs just fine and now i have the latest and greatest firmware on it.

I plug it back into the Mac.
Nothing.
I try to add it to "Remote Devices" in Device Setup, but no such luck, just won't bite.

I try un- and re-installing everything a few times (even grab the Yamaha USB midi drivers off of Yamaha's site), nothing. I get the power light, pads light up when i press them, i can switch banks, but nothing on my Mac wants to admit it's connected.

I try it on my PC again, works just fine.
Now i'm staring at my Mac in disbelief, i have no idea what to do next.
I'm a reasonably computer-savvy person, it's an interest of mine, and i work as a software-developer. I should be able to figure this out.
I've been searching franticly up and down every thread on this forum suggesting anything in the direction of a CMC not working on Mavericks, nothing fits the bill.

I look at my Mac, and think to myself, "ok, i've tried everything, why not just restart it, and then go to the forum and ask for help..", so i restart it.

My CMC PD is now working perfectly...

The "have you tried restarting your computer" cliché exists for a reason.
by David L
Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audio files missing when a song is moved to another comp

With Cubase it pays to be very careful where files are created. If your focus is on audio (as opposed to MIDI and Instrument Tracks) then you really need to understand the Audio Pool (Ctrl-P) ... but it's all in the manual, even the short "Getting Started" PDF.

When transferring files between computers, if you've maintained a proper folder structure then it shouldn't be a problem, but it is still very easy to "drop" files outside of the project folder, which are then referenced in the project but not contained within the folder itself. One way around this is to use the "Backup Project ..." function in the File menu -- this allows you to specify a completely new folder, into which will be copied all the bits required by the project. You can then safely copy this new folder to another computer safe in the knowledge that it will work.
by MrSoundman
Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audio files missing when a song is moved to another comp

Is there anything special you have to do when copying a song containing both midi tracks and audio tracks, to another computer? ... doing something wrong in the first place for this to happen.
When drag-and-dropping external audio files into Cubase, ensure the option for adding the file to the project is checked, ensuring the files are COPIED into the Audio folder.

Also, see About missing files on page 384 of the Operation Manual .

... the entire folder - we discovered that some audio tracks had gone into another folder called "edits" - I suspect those are audio tracks he adjusted the gain on, after creating them.
You need the entire folder, which should contain:
a) .cpr project file, which contains project-specific settings, MIDI, and references to each audio file
b) Audio folder = where ALL the audio should be
c) Edits folder = unsaved offline edits (like Normalise, Pitch Shift) = additional to Audio files = MUST keep if NOT empty
d) Images folder = waveform display files = if absent, Cubase will create them all upon project opening
e) Freeze folder = frozen tracks = MUST keep if NOT empty.

Ensure only one project per project folder, otherwise you might accidently delete files when using the cleanup tools. If this has been done, for each project file, use Cubase's Backup to create a new and separate unique project folder.

+1 to learning about The Pool on page 376 of the Operation Manual , as it is the place where you can really manage your project's files for renaming, etc.
by Patanjali
Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drum map issues again...

There's a setting in preferences for which Midi editor is opened by default...maybe try that?
by vespesian
Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drum map issues again...

Looks like a corruption in the prefs. Have you checked that? (restart in Cubase Safe Start Mode ctrl-alt-shift)
by SteveInChicago
Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update install problem

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/fixing-update-installation-issues-on-windows.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1%5Bo_system%5D=2&tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1%5Bproductfamily%5D=2&tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1%5Bproduct%5D=en%2Fsupport%2Fknowledgebase_new.html
by Svengali
Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have almost the identical problem. Not only Cubase 7.5 64bit but also Groove Agent.

I'm going to take a wild guess: Have you in the past moved any Steinberg content such as Groove Agent SE, Hallion, LoopMash etc?

I moved Groove Agent samples and Hallion Samples from my C drive to my E drive. I did this because I have 9 gig of Steinberg content (Hallion, Groove Agent, Loop Mash etc) that was taking up precious C drive space when it should be on my E drive...sample drive. Perhaps a .msi file wasn't moved?

Someday I would like to do a fresh Cubase install including Hallion, LoopMash, Groove Agent etc but in the past it seems the installer does not allow me to choose where to place them. It automatically puts everything in your C drive. This would have been appropriate 20 years ago, but these days it would be nice to have a choice.

So recently I have manually moved content and everything has been working....until today when trying to install this update.

So to fix this I downloaded the Cubase 7.5 complete installer, and did a reinstall. Now all the Cubase content is back on my C drive. :evil:

If anyone could give me specific instructions how to safely move all the content to my E drive and hopefully next time an update comes everything installs correctly, I would very much appreciate that.

I tried that Microsoft tool too and it didn't detect any problems.
by greggybud
Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi greggybud,

if you run the uninstall from the Programs and Features in the Windows' Control Panel, it is enough to remove all of the entries. Just make sure you remove all the listed Steinberg software. I would advice to do it after a fresh boot of the computer with nothing running.
There is no need to go into the registry and manually delete the entries.

Then, start the new installation (better doing so after a fresh reboot as well) - it is recommended to use the latest ISO image available on the support website.

I don't remember precisely when choosing the content path was introduced, but it dates back a few versions.
Also, I prefer to do a fresh, complete install with each major version, but that's just me.

That should be enough to ensure a solid install.
by Fabio Bartolini
Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I had this problem with 7.5.30. First, I place the 7.5 folder on the desktop (It wouldn't recognize 7.5 from an external drive, nor a mounted drive) then I used "repair" and led it to that folder with the ".msi" file. I tried to install 7.5.20 just in case but it only skipped to the end showing that all was installed. I then installed 7.5.30 without issues!

Hooray....!
by musicbeat
Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Performing "Repair" from the Programs and Features panel should also work in this scenario.
I would leave re-installing using the 7.5.0 installer as the last resort :-)

Cheers,
by Fabio Bartolini
Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The best way to install your content in the E: drive is installing it there during the main installation.
When you install, registry entries pointing to each part of the installation are created, so if you install it in the desired location since the beginning, the registry entries will be correct and any future update will look for the content to be updated in the correct place.

Thanks for the reply.

This is the problem..."since the beginning" was a very long time ago.

I agree the best way to install the content in the E drive is installing it there during the main installation, but the installer is NOT giving me any options to do that. I'm assuming this is because in the past the content was installed in the C drive. So I'm assuming this is a registry issue, and if I knew how to delete whatever I need to delete in the registry, then attempt to do a full install the Cubase installer would give me the options to install the content in whatever drive I wish?

Even if I do a "complete" uninstall from the Windows 7 control panel, is that good enough so when I re-install I will then get options to select my hard drive for Cubase content?

if not, could anyone give me step-by-step directions how to go into the registry and do the deed? It would be nice to have this finally resolved.
by greggybud
Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Scarlett Buffer size issues

I like the Scarlett line, because I believe it's a great value for the price it's offered at. The ASIO driver, however, is sub-par and likely to cause trouble with several DAW's, including Cubase. Which is why I always suggest people who buy a Scarlett to uninstall the Focusrite driver and replace it with ASIO4ALL . Try it (it's free!) and then I'm sure you'll thank me... ;)

http://www.asio4all.com
by Indigo
Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Scarlett Buffer size issues

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does that mean uninstalling the MixerControll also? The amount of time it took me to get it working makes me a bit nervous to mess with it. Or can I install ASIO4all without uninstalling the Scarlett drivers etc?

In theory, you should be able to install ASIO4ALL without uninstalling the Focusrite driver and just select ASIO4ALL in Cubase's audio properties. In practice, it's impossible to rule out that the Focusrite driver would not create conflicts, so I would eliminate it just as a precaution. Or you could try installing ASIO4ALL, de-selecting the Focusrite driver and selecting ASIO4ALL in Cubase's audio properties and see if it works. If it doesn't, remove the Focusrite driver because it's likely creating a conflict.
by Indigo
Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic