Search found 16 matches

Return

Re: [Poll] Fix the insert handling in the new mixer console?

Even though the Mix Console is much better than before, I still think that the issues mentioned here would definitely make its workflow even better. Steinberg needs to look back at the previous mixer and bring back the things it did well. Yes, the mixer in Cubase 6 did not display Inserts and Sends at the same time, but the information it did display was presented all at once and without clutter. That's the kind of functionality that needs to be present in the current mixer.

The other thing, and this is probably of higher priority in my view, is the hidden plugins issue. This needs fixing ASAP!! Even with the single click behavior back, one still needs to click twice every time the plugin goes underneath the mixer (which happens every time the mixer is not the focus; so it happens a LOT). Still a clicking fest.
by jose7822
Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thank you for the new font in the "cycle"

Yes, thank you Steinberg!

It's a minor improvement, but an improvement indeed. There are many more of those hiding under the preference menu and the Track Settings window as well as the Mix Console. I really like these graphic changes that have made Cubase look more pro. Very much appreciated ;)
by jose7822
Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 at Last!

Xtigma,

Are you able to load all of your synths? A friend of mine seems to be having issues with this in C7.5. Are all your plugins showing up? Thanks!

Cant load 1/2 my synths .... can't load my old songs ... Track Presets don't retain Routing ... i give up

Steinbergs Final Joke ....Ho ho F.... Ho ho

You have to reconfigure your VST paths. Cubase 7.5 is a separate install from previous versions, so you'll also have to reconfigure your preferences. Thankfully, you can have both versions opened side by side. This makes it easy to copy your preferences and plugin paths, which I prefer doing than copying preference files (just seems a safer way to me).

I also had to re-register (not really, actually) my iLok EWQL Spaces plugin, but it was super quick. You may see a pop up window come up as you load a project if you happen to have this particular plugin. This may also be the case with a few others iLok plugins, but it only took a few clicks to get it going again. No big deal.

So far, all I can say is that C7.5 is THE BEST Cubase I have used thus far. The new features are awesome and the new look a noticeable improvement from previous versions. Cubase looks more professional now, IMO. Still too early to call it, but I'm really liking what I see. It's been very stable with heavy projects as well. No complaints yet.
by jose7822
Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Poll] Would you like to see true Bounce-In-Place in Cub

Steve Helstrip wrote:Little bump! Here's hoping for C8. ;-)

Yes, please! There's no way Steinberg can ignore such a wanted feature. I would be surprised if they did (not pleasantly surprised, of course).
by jose7822
Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Poll] Would you like to see true Bounce-In-Place in Cub

You would think that the Marketing department of a software company would know a little about the product they're selling, but I understand your point of view. Sometimes it doesn't seem like they truly understand their customers, I know. But seeing things from their point of view, it's really impossible to please the entire customer base.

However, bounce in place seems like such an obviously wanted feature that it would be irresponsible of them not to give it high priority. And I'm not simply saying this because I want it, but because of the cheer number of votes for it. It's a no brainer. Then again, do marketing people have brains? jk :-P
by jose7822
Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Disillusioned cubase artist 7.5 user

Hi Phil,

The questions on your last post are a bit more intricate to explain through this medium, but I will attempt to help.

First thing, the distortion you hear when pluging in the two jacks from the Korg is most likely due to the levels being set too high on your interface's inputs. To avoid this, make sure you lower the input levels coming into your audio interface until the signal peaks somewhere between -12dB FS and -9dB FS (You could even go up to -6dB FS if the signal is very compressed, like in the case of distorted electric guitars and some synth patches). Then there's the levels you set during the Mixing and, finally, Mastering stage. For more info on this subject, check out the following videos:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J2YdMwehSOM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4MqjPA5eOU4

Another factor that affects the quality of the recorded signal could be due to input signal levels. The short answer is that you'll need to make sure that you are using the correct cables and connections between the Korg and your interface, and that each device is set up properly to transmit and receive the correct signal level. For more info on this topic check out this article:

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/whats-the-difference-between-mic-instrument-line-and-speaker-level-signals/

Another read on the subject that might be helpful:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan14/articles/qanda-0114-02.htm

Like I said, these are very intricate subjects which you will want to research further on your own. Hopefully, these videos and articles will help shed some light on the subject of recording audio.

Take care!
by jose7822
Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: pan law

The project's pan law only becomes important when panning certain instruments from left to right and/or vice versa. Most of the time, you're simply using static panning, so any pan law would do since you'll be compensating with volume when using the pan laws that don't auto-compensate. But I have found I like the -3dB pan law best when moving instruments across the stereo field. To me, it is the most "natural" sounding of all (I find the other ones too drastic or not enough, and the default one doesn't give you a cool panning effect since it automatically compensates with volume).

If you like panning this way, I would try them all out before starting a project. Have fun! :-)
by jose7822
Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: pan law

That is incorrect. The reason why there are pan laws is to compensate for the boost in signal/voltage when panning instruments center, which would cause a boost of 3dB if you pan identical signals to the center. Also, when using a -3dB pan law, the CENTER image is what gets attenuated (not boosted). The sides stay at the current level, with a taper that decreases as the signal gets closer to the center. And yes, the pan law is a permanent effect when bouncing audio. It is supposed to work that way, or else your mix won't sound as it was intended. As you say, WYHIWYG (changed it to hear :-D).

Here's an SOS article on the subject:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov05/articles/qa1106_6.htm

HTH
by jose7822
Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The difference in download size...

I'm guessing one is compressed and the other is not. But that's just a guess.
by jose7822
Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The difference in download size...

I think Jonsolo is right. I just finished downloading Cubase 8, the one labled as 3.83 GB, and got 5.37 GB after decompression. Maybe I should check out and download the 9GB one since I'm doing a fresh install.

EDIT: I see you discovered the same thing :-)
by jose7822
Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VCA? Groups? Links?

I'll give you one example where I see myself using VCA faders all the time.

You have several tracks (i.e. Brass, Strings, Guitars, Drums, or whatever group of faders you happen to work with) routed to a Group Track. Each track has their own send levels, feeding to their respective, or even the same, FX Channel. Each track has automation rides that are exactly how you want them as a whole, but now you need to raise/lower (or even ride) all these faders at the same time in order to make them fit better with the mix. Here's the problem:

- If you use the Group Track's fader, then (as mentioned earlier), this will mess up all your post fader send levels that you have so carefully adjusted individually. Going this route would mean re-adjusting the send levels of each track, which would be a chore to do if you end up riding the Group Track.

- Using the Link function is out of the question because you have automation going on in some/all of the tracks. So that's not gonna work.

Enter the world of VCA faders! Just assign all of the track to a VCA fader group and automate that fader to your hearts desire without worrying about messing the sends mix in relation to your individual tracks!! I'm sure lots of people can see themselves using VCA faders in this situation. It's just awesome!
by jose7822
Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: i dont hear those articulations

Hi Rita,

Saw your message. It looks like you're almost there. All you need to do now is to go to Halion and set the MIDI channel for each articulation in sequential order, as you had it the first time (1, 2 and 3), then match those MIDI channels to the articulations found in the Expression map setup window shown on image 2. If you look towards the right, under the "Output Mapping" pane, you will see the "Channel" setting. I would remove that "Note On" mapping, btw.

Give it shot. It should work now.
by jose7822
Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: i dont hear those articulations

Ah, I overlooked something. I usually have one track per instrument loaded with all the articulations I need for that particular instrument. Basically, I would open my sample library engine (Halion SE in this case), as an Instrument Track (no multi-out) load all the articulations I need and assign them their own MIDI channel. Then I would load the Expression Map into that track and then draw the articulations in the Key Editor as you did on that bottom image on your first post.

The way you have it set up, with multi-outs, would be more beneficial if you plan on using different instruments rather than different articulations of the same instrument (in this case, a Piano). Or if you're using drums, which is a collection of instruments itself. But for a single instrument, such as a Piano, I would load it up the way I described above.

Try that and let me know if it works that way.
by jose7822
Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: re horrible AERO theme

Richard, you can minimize the main Cubase window and maximize the project window as suggested by Freddie H. in another thread. That will solve your problem :-)
by jose7822
Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic