Search found 22 matches

Return

Re: Dockable Chord Tracks

Here is a mock-up I did in another thread.

Someone earlier commented about information overload. It seems more like just plain old useful information. And like most everything thing else in the editors you should be able to disable/enable the display for those times when seeing the chords you are using becomes so overwhelming you can no longer work. ;)
by raino
Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Abandon Track Colouring OR Text Colour Option In App Win

I agree, the colors you have circled are unreadable with the white unselected-track font. I just counted and I use 34 different colors (all I need and then a few extras just in case), and all of them are legible with plenty of blues, yellows and greens in the mix. Perhaps I'm not sufficiently pastel inclined, but I just picked colors that would have ok contrast against both black and white - seemed pretty easy to find them when I set up my color scheme.

Maybe you should just pick different colors, shades or saturation for the ones that don't work? After all there literately are millions of combinations. I bet you can find 50. And as Steve pointed out if you lower the Colorize Track control it makes it easier to read the font but you still get the full strength color on the left portion of the track.
by raino
Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chord Track

use a virtual midi cable like LoopBe Will that still work on Windows 7/8 x64? The last one I tried (which I think was on Vista x64 at the time) was MIDI Yoke, which hasn't been updated since 2007, and I think it caused instability at the time.

MIDI Yoke works under win7 x64 (8??) when using 32bit version of Cubase, but not 64 bit. However LoopBe1 works fine with 64.
by raino
Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Humanize track / project

I have come to realize that a lot of these things people are asking for such as Humanize are totally possible with the Logical Editor however this tool is difficult to understand. All they really need to do is make more presets for the Logical Editor and organize them in a better way. The categories of the folders seem stupid.
The logical editor is great, but it's not quite the thing I want to get into when I'm trying to do music. It's a bit geeky, no offense to anyone, but I am strictly a dumb artist!

True the Logical Editor is geeky and trying to build a function while in the throes of musical inspiration likely will dampen the mood. However once a function is saved as a preset it is as easy to run as any built-in Cubase function - no need to even open the Logical Editor. For example I've got a preset that randomizes the current note velocity by -4 to +4. Takes about a half second to use and running it once or twice helps a bunch.

I was thinking maybe folks could post presets they've created that help humanize hand entered midi data. But then I discovered that we can't post xml files in the forum when I tried. :(
by raino
Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Using chord track correctly

I have no answer but I too am interested in this; although I'm looking at it from a different tack... I wanna know what it's useful for... ie. if you're a 'trained musician' are there other benefits to it, or is it basically like an Autoharp or that button on old electronic organs, in that it just makes it easier to 'play' chords than having to learn them on the piano/guitar. Sincere question.

---JC

I use it to quickly sketch out different progressions and try out various chord substitutions and alternatives. Once that's settled I write out a real part with a midi editor. Additionally if you set the colors in the Key Editor to the Chord Track and are writing a melody for example it is visually easy to see which notes are in or out of the chord or scale.

Also I find it very useful as documentation. I used to use the notepad to write down my progressions, but now I use the chord track which is better since it aligns with the actual music. I've recently looked at some songs I wrote 20+ years ago on guitar where I only seemed to write down the lyrics and not the chords (apparently I thought I'd never forget, wrong, wrong, wrong) - over time I've come to appreciate the value of documentation. ;)
by raino
Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to use chord track after you have a chord progressio

Well the chord track itself doesn't really have any specific octave info associated with it - a G chord is a G chord independent of the octave it is in. However when you have the chord track play back via an Instrument or MIDI track then the chord will be played using the voicing settings you set in the inspector of the Chord Track. So for example if you have it set to use piano voicing it will play notes for the left and right hands that fit nicely on the bass and treble staffs. When you analyze an existing midi part to generate a Chord Track the octave info is lost and not included in the chord track.

Personally I'd never use the Chord Track to play an actual part, since it is fairly limited in what it can do (i.e. block chords played one time whenever a chord event occurs). Mostly I use it to sketch out a progression and tryout various alternative progressions (such as different chord substitutions). Then once I like the progression I'll mute the chord track and drag the chords down onto a midi track to create a midi part with those chords (or just hand enter them in with the Key Editor). After that I edit the new midi part to have it play the chords the way I want - changing the voicing, arpeggiating the chord etc. The Chord Track isn't really designed to play music, rather it assists in composing and documentation.
by raino
Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Color Notes & Group Notes Feature

You would understand the usefulness of grouping if you have ever used Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw.

Sorry, but I do understand the benefits of grouping - please don't make assumptions about folks.

But since note grouping does not currently exist in Cubase, I offered a workaround that that gives you some of that functionality right now - hence the prefix "quasi." Just trying to be helpful, sorry you don't see it that way.
by raino
Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tutorials for Halion 5 ?

Those G3 videos are good but a bit limited. They are done by the guy Mark Struthers, he is very long winded, and belabours small points. He actually went so far to talk about synth osc and reverb settings in the Halion videos.

I have to agree with you on that. He tends to take the long way to get anywhere. When demonstrating something he'd often select several items to use as an example when one would work just fine and be quicker. Still watching 2 hours of video made the manual much more useful.

The problem with the manual is that it doesn't provide any overview to create context. It pretty much heads straight into every detail from the first page. This is great for reference, but not so good for establishing an initial understanding of what's going on - what is crucial to understand and what isn't. Compare the Halion manual with the Scores portion of the Cubase manual - another complex and not always intuitive topic. The Scores documentation starts off with a good overview that supplies context for all the details that come in later chapters. Having that context makes it easier to read the remaining manual and focus on what is important to you now and skip over (for the time being anyway) what isn't. The way the Halion manual is structured you can't really do that - you just get thrown into the deep end of the pool and hope you can teach yourself how to swim before drowning. Documentation that must be read slowly and carefully is not well constructed (I say this as someone who in a previous life hired tech writers to produce documentation).

The BFD3 videos are done by a guy named Eli Krantzberg who does a lot of the Groove 3 videos. He is much better than Mark - quick pacing, clear explinations and through. Looking forward to some of the other topics he's covered.
by raino
Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: English Vocaloid Editor For Cubase

Yes especially since it's Yamaha technology
by raino
Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Get rid of the dongle

minus 1 here. I'm getting a new DAW in a few days and am dreading having to go through all the authorization BS. But I know all my Steiny products will be easy.
by raino
Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Make the Buses function like the Buses in Pro Tools

Well you could put all your buses in a folder and collapse that in the visibility list.
by raino
Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Make the Buses function like the Buses in Pro Tools

Group channels are NOT input channels - and no input can be selected. They are only Group/Busses.

Nor are they output channels. Although their output can be routed to an output channel.

From the OP it sounded like they had a bunch of output channels that they didn't want to see. For example if your audio interface has 8 outputs on it they will all be available in Cubase, even if you only have 2 of them connected up to anything (i.e. your speakers). In that case the other 6 outputs are just visual clutter - until you decide you want to send something to an external effect you've borrowed or whatever. The place you control which output channels Cubase uses is in the VST Connecions setup. The key is that Cubase can access all the available inputs and outputs that your audio interface has, but Cubase will only be able to use those inputs and outputs that you enable in VST connections. But you can save different setups as presets and change them as needed on a project by project basis.

Group tracks/channels are used for internal audio signal routing. They can receive audio from any audio source except an audio input channel. This means in the mixers routing section you can't select an input source for a group channel. The only way to get audio to a group channel is for another audio channel to send its output there. So you can send the output of regular audio tracks, VSTi's, FX channels, and even other group channels to a group channel. This provides a very flexible scheme where you can do complex routing. But that said, the most common use is for creating sub-mixes. For example sending five backing vocals to a group channel where you've inserted a compressor and also have a send going to a reverb.

Cubase has a bunch of different channel types and taking a good look in the manual at how they are different and similar is pretty beneficial.
by raino
Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: chord track needs improvement...

I would like to have multiple Chord Track support as well as naming of Chord Tracks to more properly identify each one.

Also, I would like to be able to select multiple sends for for the chord track output (as opposed to using 'use monitored tracks'.

Oh, and the ability to highlight and change multiple Chords at once.

cheers

Track Versions work for the Chord Track too. Once you've created a new version it can be renamed.

If you use a virtual midi port like LoopBe you can route the Chord Track to a specific Midi Track. Set that track's midi out to the virtual port. Then you can have any other Instrument or Midi Tracks get their input from the virtual port.

If you highlight multiple chords you can change them all at once in the info line with some constraints. If the chords have different roots, changing the Root Key will transpose them and not set them all to the same root. And if the chords you select are chords of different types (Maj, min, sus2 etc.) the value shown in the info line will be whatever it is for the first selected chord. If you change that to a different type, all the chords will change to the new type. However if you want to change all the selected chords to be the same type as the first chord nothing will change.

For example:
If you select the chords C - Em - Bdim and want to change them all to minor chords change the value in the info line (i.e. major) to minor. But if you wanted to change them all to major chords it won't work because because you can't change the type in the info line from major to major - because that's not changing it at all. The workaround is to change the value in the info line to anything but major (let's say minor), which will change all the chords to minor and then change it a second time back to major which will now set them all to major.
by raino
Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Removing bkgnd music from bkgnd music plus vocals

Did you try reversing the 'phase' of the CD Music while playing the track with music and vox in phase?
If the timing is 'on' there may be signifigant cancelation of the original music leaving the vox (and fun stuff)
to stand out.

Good Luck!
{'-'}

I've done similar before and it works pretty well. Create two tracks - one for the stage recording and the other just the instrumental track (mono would be best, but not required). Align them as close as possible by ear so you don't hear a delay on the instruments. Then find a section where there is an instrumental section with no vocal and also a loud-ish percussion sound (if one exists). What you want to find is a section that has a waveform that is visually distinctive. Then in the project window set the height of both tracks large so you can easily see the waves on each track. Zoom way in and visually align the waves by moving one track until the percussive elements match up. Now phase reverse the instrumental track. You'll probably hear a drop in the instruments. Select the instrumental wave object and jot down where its start position is shown on the info line. Using the info line change the start position earlier and later moving by the smallest amount possible. What you want to do is find the spot where the instruments are the most canceled out - this can be tedious and take awhile (or not if lucky). As you move closer to this perfect alignment spot the instrument volume will decrease until you reach it and then as you move beyond it the volume will start to increase again. Next move the fader on the instrument track up and down until the instruments are most canceled out. If this fader is too low you won't cancel some of the instruments on the stage recording, and if it is too high you you'll hear it instead of the instruments on the stage recording. Since the stage recording will include the reflected sounds of all the instruments as they bounced around the theater you will always have some residual sounds, but you should be able to vastly reduce them. You might also find that using some EQ at this point, both on the individual tracks and the mix, also improves things. Take notes as you go so if things get messed up you can return to your last-best-settings.
by raino
Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Create MIDI Chord Notes Based on Melody Note Rhythm

Duplicate your melody track and open the copied part(s) in the Key Editor. Select all the note events and alt-drag them up and down to duplicate the line several times to get the number of notes you'd like in your final chords. Don't worry about the pitches of these transposed melody lines. But do move the lines so they are roughly in the range you want the final chords. Then in that track's Inspector on the Chord Tab turn on "Follow Chord Track." You'll probably want to mute the Chord Track so you only hear one set of chords playing.

Also if you turn on Live Transform in the Chord Tab you can just slap away at a keyboard and it will turn them into proper chords - which is great fun for folks like me with crappy keyboard skills.
by raino
Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can you use User Symbols in different projects?

Save them as part of a template and use that to start your projects.
by raino
Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Automatic backup for Cubase settings?

most are in the folder

...<username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\<program name>

see pg 709 of the operations manual
by raino
Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Programming groups in key editor

Well if you turn snap off you can draw in notes of any duration at any position. Then you could turn that into a quantize preset. After that you can just snap to that new preset.

Probably the easiest way to do this even leaves snap on. Make a one bar midi part and open it in the Key Editor. Enter a regular 16th note at the beginning of the measure. The default resolution is 120 ticks per 16th note, or 480 for a quarter note. So to fit 7 notes into a quarter it takes 480 / 7 = 68.57 ticks. Select the note you created and in the info line set its length to 69 ticks. Then hit ctrl-D six times to copy the note. Because of the fractional ticks the last note will be a few ticks too long. Drag its end so it snaps to the quarter note boundary, making it a bit short. Then select all the notes and duplicate them to fill out the measure. Use that midi part to create a quantize preset.

Alternatively you could have made the first note 68 ticks long and lengthened the last note a bit. You could also have distributed the extra or missing ticks between several notes. But that would be more work and your never going to notice that one of the notes is 3 ticks shorter than the rest.

This all sounds more difficult than it is. It took me about a minute to do it (including looking up the resolution in the manual) and about 10 minutes to write the explanation.

You can change the default resolution in Preferences/MIDI to something that divides evenly. But I wouldn't do that since it will likely create confusion in the future.
by raino
Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cord track to sheet music

Hum wrote:I have a cord track and want to have these cords visible in my sheet music.
How can I do this?

Scores/Advanced Layout/Show Chord Track
by raino
Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chord Track Editor window: Can you drag it somewhere?

Nope.

I put the Chord Track at the top and then stuff like markers and tempo etc. just below it so the editor doesn't cover up tracks I want to see while using the chord editor.
by raino
Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Note/Comment Track for chronologic comments

Something similar to how comments are added to tracks in Soundcloud.
by raino
Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic