Search found 12 matches

Return

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

Cubase 7.0.6 is full of bugs and crashes frequently and now a paid upgrade??? Steinberg, what planet are you on?
Is it? Does it? I find 7.0.6 reasonably stable. That not said there isn't the original crash, but on the vast majority of the crash occasions some third-party plug-ins were involved. Try this: Install only the OS and Cubase on a second drive (no drivers, no 3rd-party plugins, etc). Is it still unstable? If not, then something else is causing your crashes! Install your drivers one by one test and restart you system between each install. Note the install order. If Cubase becomes unstable after you've installed, let's say "x1.vst".

Remove all plug-ins. Now reinstall "x1.vst". Is Cubase still unstable? If yes, this plug-in is not fully compatible with Cubase. If not, then proceed and install and test the other plug-ins on your list in the reverse order, until Cubase becomes unstable again with, let's say "y1.vst".

Now remove all 3rd-party plug-ins again and reinstall "x1.vst" and "y1.vst". Is Cubase still unstable. If yes, you've found the cause "x1.vst" and "y1.vst" are incompatible with each other. If not, you may need to test with adding other plug-ins between "x1.vst" and "y1.vst" on your list. Sometimes a combination of 3 or more plug-ins are needed to cause the problem.

Yes, this is quite a bit of work, but you'll find the real culprits. There is no point in bantering on Steinberg or Cubase for problems caused by someone else. I am sure that the majority of crashed that Cubase is blamed for is actually caused by rouge 3rd-party plug-in.

Indeed! You have to be absolutely mental to buy this upgrade?!? But I bet there are a lot of people out there dont mind being a cashcow...
If you're going to criticize a Cubase version then first..... Install it !! And stop insulting the other members on this forum.
by Svenne
Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What to do if you have problems with Cubase

Many people have stability problems and immediately blame Cubase! It my experience that most crashes are actually caused by thirdparty plugins, divers or other apps. Not by Cubase itself.

General complaining abuot "Cubase is unstable, Cubase only crashes, etc." helps noone. Before you complain, follow the following suggestions:

Install only the OS and Cubase on a second drive (no drivers, no 3rd-party plugins, etc). Is it still unstable? If not, then something else is causing your crashes! Install your drivers one by one test and restart you system between each install. Note the install order. If Cubase becomes unstable after you've installed, let's say "x1.vst".

Remove all plug-ins. Now reinstall "x1.vst". Is Cubase still unstable? If yes, this plug-in is not fully compatible with Cubase. If not, then proceed and install and test the other plug-ins on your list in the reverse order, until Cubase becomes unstable again with, let's say "y1.vst".

Now remove all 3rd-party plug-ins again and reinstall "x1.vst" and "y1.vst". Is Cubase still unstable. If yes, you've found the cause "x1.vst" and "y1.vst" are incompatible with each other. If not, you may need to test with adding other plug-ins between "x1.vst" and "y1.vst" on your list. Sometimes a combination of 3 or more plug-ins are needed to cause the problem.
I am sure that the majority of crashed that Cubase is blamed for is actually caused by rouge 3rd-party plug-in.

And this is most important. Is the problem repeatable?
Yes, this is quite a bit of work, but you'll find the real culprits. There is no point in bantering on Steinberg or Cubase for problems caused by someone else. A clear description of when, and what actions you took when the problem occurred, help others (including Steinberg's engineers) to help you. General ranting does not.

Hard-drives are dirt cheep these days so there in no reason not to have a spare test-drive lying around.
by Svenne
Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 at Last!

why is every thing eating my ram ........
Because it tastes so good. :)

I'm wondering. Does the HALion Sonic SE content disc/download that comes with v7.5 contain everything that was included in the one that accompanied 7.0? I.e. do I need to keep it handy, in case a reinstall becomes necessary, or can I file it away in the furthest reaches of the cupboard (where old installer discs usually end up)?
by Svenne
Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 Excruciating load times

Finally, I've been able to do some Mac loading time tests on v7.5.

Here are the old results from using 7.0.6 in OSX 10.9 ( redid the test in 10.9.1, just to be on the safe side, but it made no difference):
180 track instruments of padshop: 2 min 39 sec.
180 track only (no plug-ins): 7 sec

These are the results from using 7.5 in OSX 10.9.1
180 track instruments of padshop: 18 min
180 track only (no plug-ins): 7 sec

Opening the file, saved in v7.5, in 7.0.6, again took approximately 2.5 minutes.
Opening the file, saved in v7.5, in 7.5, again took approximately 18 minutes.

Watching the counter in the new VST Rack, it is clear that the loading times get progressively longer the more instances gets loaded. My finger wasn't fast enough to time the first instance, but the 180th took about 15 seconds.

These results tells me that:
a) The problem is not platform specific.
b) The problem is caused by the number of plug-in instances, not by the number of tracks themselves.

My opinion is that is has something to do with the way Cubase handles plug-ins after the merger of Instrument Tracks and the VST Instruments Rack.

I also took a look at the file sizes. The original test file (with PadShop) was 6.8MB. After saving it in v7.5, it grow to 11.8MB. That's a significant increase in size, but nowhere near the 10 times mushrooming that has been reported by other (Windows) users. The fact that my test file was "clean" (i.e. it only contained pointers to PadShop instances. No MIDI data or pointers to audio files.) may have had something to do with the results.

The interesting thing, though, is that, when I opened the 11.8MB project in v7.0.6 and saved it again, it shrank back down to 6.9MB! One must wonder what v7.5 puts in those project files.

Let's hope Steiney figures this out sooner, rather than later.

EDIT:
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but...didn't we have the same problem with mushrooming file sizes a number of years ago? Was it with v5 or v6?
by Svenne
Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can't Hear Audio Monitoring While Tracking

Make sure that you are using the correct Monitoring Mode (page 118 in the pdf manual). Personally, I prefer Tapemachine Style. Then I hear what's recorded on playback and myself live while recording.

Note that this is a personal preference. There's no right or wrong way to do things here. Use the mode you feel most comfortable with.
by Svenne
Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Ah yes, the age-old Mac vs PC debate returns and I'm glad.
I'm not. It's a total waste of time. There may have been a time when Macs were better suited than Windows PCs for A/V and graphics work. But that was a long, long, long time ago.

Both OS:es have their pros and cons. Arguing which is better is as futile as arguing about which is the most beautiful colour! It's a personal thing .

The only truth is: Use the OS you feel most comfortable with .

Only be aware that switching OS takes quite a bit of time and effort, so make sure you take the plunge for the right reasons. Is the other OS really "better" or does the grass just look greener on the other side of the fence?

Well, well, well...I guess people will continue this futile argument a hundred years from now. Think about how much time will be wasted. Time that could've been put to much better use, making music .
by Svenne
Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: more languages are necessary

I'd love to see a Klingon version

DIS chu' botIvjaj, ya all. ;)
by Svenne
Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

uarte, forget about the rantings of religious fanatics like papi61. They are impossible to convince. No matter what arguments are put forth. The best way to deal with them is if everyone chose to ignore them. They thrive on siring up controversy, and have no interest what so ever to contribute anything valuable.

It was nice to finally see someone putting forth a sensible argument regarding the "platform war". I agree with just about everything you said. I do believe you are wrong in one case though:

Performance is of course better on Windows
This is definitely untrue. Case in point, I recently did a series of test regarding the excruciatingly long loading times of projects with lots of VSTi's and mushrooming file sizes when saving, in CB7.5. All the reports were from Windows users and when I did the tests on my Mac, I got the flowing results.
Loading times:
The loading times are same on Windows and OSX. Neither performs better than the other.
File sizes:
The file sizes doubled. Nowhere near the 10x+ mushrooming reported by several Windows users. So, with this test OSX performed better than Windows.

This doesn't say that much in the whole scheme of things. If you were to make a thousand tests, you'd find that Windows outperforms OSX in some and that OSX outperforms Windows in others. None of this matter anyway.

The only thing that matters is how fast and easy you can work, and that has very little to with numbers and everything to do with what you feel comfortable using! Personally, if I'm forced to work in Windows, a task can take 3 to 4 (or even longer) times to perform compared to when I'm working in OSX. When I working in OSX, I feel that I'm working with the computer and in Windows, against the computer. That is simply because I'm used to OSX. I have friends that have the opposite view, but we still get along just fine.

So, to all you fanatics out there: Use the platform you feel comfortable with and don't bother your pretty little heads about what others are using. That's none of your business!

Why waste time ranting about something so useless, when you could use the time to make some good music instead. Or have you bought Cubase/Nuendo/WaveLab for some other reason?
by Svenne
Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can I open Cubase 7 files with Cubase Elements 7.06?

One interesting question is, what happen to the file when you open the file in Element, save it and reopen it in the full Cubase? I read somewhere that in ProTools, the higher versions "feature" settings are retained, but you can access them in the lower version, of cause. They are still there when the file is opened in the higher version though.

I've heard that in Cubase, these higher versions settings are wiped during the trip. Is this true?
by Svenne
Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase IC Pro feature suggestions

Here's a request for a feature that would be extremely useful. A teleprompter feature!

Yes, there are separate teleprompter apps to download, but having it incorporated into iC Pro would have the great benefit that the text is synchronized with the project playback position. When the playback position changes, the text position adjusts accordingly.

Why limit it to text, by the way. Why not put the chord track to good use and let iC pro generate scrolling chord charts?

If Steinberg want's to really go "all in", it could even be synched with the Score features. Wouldn't it be useful if iC Pro could display a scrolling score? Again, locked to the playback position. Either for multiple instruments or for the instrument being recorded.
by Svenne
Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Master effects & Master effects

It is a bit confusing that there are two unrelated sets if plug-in effects, both named "Master" effects. The ones in the Effects Tool panel and the ones in the Master Section. I suggest that the name is changed in the Effects Tool panel to avoid confusion.

Why not rename them Montage effects. That would, not only avoid confusion, but also be inline with the naming convention used for the other types ( Clip effects affect specific Clips, Track effects affect specific Tracks and Montage effects affect specific Montages ).

Then the name Master effects would be reserved for the Master Section.
by Svenne
Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

I really like the new Control Room interface. I much prefer "real"-looking sliders over the "in-meter" ones used before. Very nice touch to add an old-style knob for the Control Room Level. It really makes us old-timers feel at home.

Pity though, that there still seems to be no Key Commands for the Cue Channels buttons. It would have been great when controlling Cubase from IC Pro. Well, maybe in the future.

Great job, Steiny.
by Svenne
Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic