Search found 38 matches

Return

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

Cubase 7.0.6 is full of bugs and crashes frequently and now a paid upgrade??? Steinberg, what planet are you on?
Is it? Does it? I find 7.0.6 reasonably stable. That not said there isn't the original crash, but on the vast majority of the crash occasions some third-party plug-ins were involved. Try this: Install only the OS and Cubase on a second drive (no drivers, no 3rd-party plugins, etc). Is it still unstable? If not, then something else is causing your crashes! Install your drivers one by one test and restart you system between each install. Note the install order. If Cubase becomes unstable after you've installed, let's say "x1.vst".

Remove all plug-ins. Now reinstall "x1.vst". Is Cubase still unstable? If yes, this plug-in is not fully compatible with Cubase. If not, then proceed and install and test the other plug-ins on your list in the reverse order, until Cubase becomes unstable again with, let's say "y1.vst".

Now remove all 3rd-party plug-ins again and reinstall "x1.vst" and "y1.vst". Is Cubase still unstable. If yes, you've found the cause "x1.vst" and "y1.vst" are incompatible with each other. If not, you may need to test with adding other plug-ins between "x1.vst" and "y1.vst" on your list. Sometimes a combination of 3 or more plug-ins are needed to cause the problem.

Yes, this is quite a bit of work, but you'll find the real culprits. There is no point in bantering on Steinberg or Cubase for problems caused by someone else. I am sure that the majority of crashed that Cubase is blamed for is actually caused by rouge 3rd-party plug-in.

Indeed! You have to be absolutely mental to buy this upgrade?!? But I bet there are a lot of people out there dont mind being a cashcow...
If you're going to criticize a Cubase version then first..... Install it !! And stop insulting the other members on this forum.
by Svenne
Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What to do if you have problems with Cubase

Many people have stability problems and immediately blame Cubase! It my experience that most crashes are actually caused by thirdparty plugins, divers or other apps. Not by Cubase itself.

General complaining abuot "Cubase is unstable, Cubase only crashes, etc." helps noone. Before you complain, follow the following suggestions:

Install only the OS and Cubase on a second drive (no drivers, no 3rd-party plugins, etc). Is it still unstable? If not, then something else is causing your crashes! Install your drivers one by one test and restart you system between each install. Note the install order. If Cubase becomes unstable after you've installed, let's say "x1.vst".

Remove all plug-ins. Now reinstall "x1.vst". Is Cubase still unstable? If yes, this plug-in is not fully compatible with Cubase. If not, then proceed and install and test the other plug-ins on your list in the reverse order, until Cubase becomes unstable again with, let's say "y1.vst".

Now remove all 3rd-party plug-ins again and reinstall "x1.vst" and "y1.vst". Is Cubase still unstable. If yes, you've found the cause "x1.vst" and "y1.vst" are incompatible with each other. If not, you may need to test with adding other plug-ins between "x1.vst" and "y1.vst" on your list. Sometimes a combination of 3 or more plug-ins are needed to cause the problem.
I am sure that the majority of crashed that Cubase is blamed for is actually caused by rouge 3rd-party plug-in.

And this is most important. Is the problem repeatable?
Yes, this is quite a bit of work, but you'll find the real culprits. There is no point in bantering on Steinberg or Cubase for problems caused by someone else. A clear description of when, and what actions you took when the problem occurred, help others (including Steinberg's engineers) to help you. General ranting does not.

Hard-drives are dirt cheep these days so there in no reason not to have a spare test-drive lying around.
by Svenne
Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 at Last!

why is every thing eating my ram ........
Because it tastes so good. :)

I'm wondering. Does the HALion Sonic SE content disc/download that comes with v7.5 contain everything that was included in the one that accompanied 7.0? I.e. do I need to keep it handy, in case a reinstall becomes necessary, or can I file it away in the furthest reaches of the cupboard (where old installer discs usually end up)?
by Svenne
Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 Excruciating load times

Finally, I've been able to do some Mac loading time tests on v7.5.

Here are the old results from using 7.0.6 in OSX 10.9 ( redid the test in 10.9.1, just to be on the safe side, but it made no difference):
180 track instruments of padshop: 2 min 39 sec.
180 track only (no plug-ins): 7 sec

These are the results from using 7.5 in OSX 10.9.1
180 track instruments of padshop: 18 min
180 track only (no plug-ins): 7 sec

Opening the file, saved in v7.5, in 7.0.6, again took approximately 2.5 minutes.
Opening the file, saved in v7.5, in 7.5, again took approximately 18 minutes.

Watching the counter in the new VST Rack, it is clear that the loading times get progressively longer the more instances gets loaded. My finger wasn't fast enough to time the first instance, but the 180th took about 15 seconds.

These results tells me that:
a) The problem is not platform specific.
b) The problem is caused by the number of plug-in instances, not by the number of tracks themselves.

My opinion is that is has something to do with the way Cubase handles plug-ins after the merger of Instrument Tracks and the VST Instruments Rack.

I also took a look at the file sizes. The original test file (with PadShop) was 6.8MB. After saving it in v7.5, it grow to 11.8MB. That's a significant increase in size, but nowhere near the 10 times mushrooming that has been reported by other (Windows) users. The fact that my test file was "clean" (i.e. it only contained pointers to PadShop instances. No MIDI data or pointers to audio files.) may have had something to do with the results.

The interesting thing, though, is that, when I opened the 11.8MB project in v7.0.6 and saved it again, it shrank back down to 6.9MB! One must wonder what v7.5 puts in those project files.

Let's hope Steiney figures this out sooner, rather than later.

EDIT:
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but...didn't we have the same problem with mushrooming file sizes a number of years ago? Was it with v5 or v6?
by Svenne
Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can't Hear Audio Monitoring While Tracking

Make sure that you are using the correct Monitoring Mode (page 118 in the pdf manual). Personally, I prefer Tapemachine Style. Then I hear what's recorded on playback and myself live while recording.

Note that this is a personal preference. There's no right or wrong way to do things here. Use the mode you feel most comfortable with.
by Svenne
Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Ah yes, the age-old Mac vs PC debate returns and I'm glad.
I'm not. It's a total waste of time. There may have been a time when Macs were better suited than Windows PCs for A/V and graphics work. But that was a long, long, long time ago.

Both OS:es have their pros and cons. Arguing which is better is as futile as arguing about which is the most beautiful colour! It's a personal thing .

The only truth is: Use the OS you feel most comfortable with .

Only be aware that switching OS takes quite a bit of time and effort, so make sure you take the plunge for the right reasons. Is the other OS really "better" or does the grass just look greener on the other side of the fence?

Well, well, well...I guess people will continue this futile argument a hundred years from now. Think about how much time will be wasted. Time that could've been put to much better use, making music .
by Svenne
Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: more languages are necessary

I'd love to see a Klingon version

DIS chu' botIvjaj, ya all. ;)
by Svenne
Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

uarte, forget about the rantings of religious fanatics like papi61. They are impossible to convince. No matter what arguments are put forth. The best way to deal with them is if everyone chose to ignore them. They thrive on siring up controversy, and have no interest what so ever to contribute anything valuable.

It was nice to finally see someone putting forth a sensible argument regarding the "platform war". I agree with just about everything you said. I do believe you are wrong in one case though:

Performance is of course better on Windows
This is definitely untrue. Case in point, I recently did a series of test regarding the excruciatingly long loading times of projects with lots of VSTi's and mushrooming file sizes when saving, in CB7.5. All the reports were from Windows users and when I did the tests on my Mac, I got the flowing results.
Loading times:
The loading times are same on Windows and OSX. Neither performs better than the other.
File sizes:
The file sizes doubled. Nowhere near the 10x+ mushrooming reported by several Windows users. So, with this test OSX performed better than Windows.

This doesn't say that much in the whole scheme of things. If you were to make a thousand tests, you'd find that Windows outperforms OSX in some and that OSX outperforms Windows in others. None of this matter anyway.

The only thing that matters is how fast and easy you can work, and that has very little to with numbers and everything to do with what you feel comfortable using! Personally, if I'm forced to work in Windows, a task can take 3 to 4 (or even longer) times to perform compared to when I'm working in OSX. When I working in OSX, I feel that I'm working with the computer and in Windows, against the computer. That is simply because I'm used to OSX. I have friends that have the opposite view, but we still get along just fine.

So, to all you fanatics out there: Use the platform you feel comfortable with and don't bother your pretty little heads about what others are using. That's none of your business!

Why waste time ranting about something so useless, when you could use the time to make some good music instead. Or have you bought Cubase/Nuendo/WaveLab for some other reason?
by Svenne
Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can I open Cubase 7 files with Cubase Elements 7.06?

One interesting question is, what happen to the file when you open the file in Element, save it and reopen it in the full Cubase? I read somewhere that in ProTools, the higher versions "feature" settings are retained, but you can access them in the lower version, of cause. They are still there when the file is opened in the higher version though.

I've heard that in Cubase, these higher versions settings are wiped during the trip. Is this true?
by Svenne
Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase IC Pro feature suggestions

Here's a request for a feature that would be extremely useful. A teleprompter feature!

Yes, there are separate teleprompter apps to download, but having it incorporated into iC Pro would have the great benefit that the text is synchronized with the project playback position. When the playback position changes, the text position adjusts accordingly.

Why limit it to text, by the way. Why not put the chord track to good use and let iC pro generate scrolling chord charts?

If Steinberg want's to really go "all in", it could even be synched with the Score features. Wouldn't it be useful if iC Pro could display a scrolling score? Again, locked to the playback position. Either for multiple instruments or for the instrument being recorded.
by Svenne
Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why is Steinberg support so BAD!!!!???

You realise the foum is NOT the official channel to request support??
That is not entirely true. If you contact the support regarding any iOS/Android app, you are directed to this forum. Unfortunately, Steinberg seemed to have neglected to inform the moderators about this support responsibility.

Geez louise.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/support_contact/united_kingdom_ireland.html
That's all good and well. Unfortunately, not all Steinberg customers live in England. When I checked my own location, it turns out that I'm expected to make a very expensive international phone call to Germany. This is obviously completely out of the question.

Once upon a time, Steinberg had local distributors that handled the support. (And did a very good job of it!!!) But that was a long time ago, when Steinberg cared about their customers. For all intents and purposes, unless you are located in Germany, England or the US, there is no viable phone support, these days!

So...
Why is Steinberg support so BAD!!!!??? :( :( :( :( :( :(
is indeed a valid question.
by Svenne
Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Master effects & Master effects

It is a bit confusing that there are two unrelated sets if plug-in effects, both named "Master" effects. The ones in the Effects Tool panel and the ones in the Master Section. I suggest that the name is changed in the Effects Tool panel to avoid confusion.

Why not rename them Montage effects. That would, not only avoid confusion, but also be inline with the naming convention used for the other types ( Clip effects affect specific Clips, Track effects affect specific Tracks and Montage effects affect specific Montages ).

Then the name Master effects would be reserved for the Master Section.
by Svenne
Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

I really like the new Control Room interface. I much prefer "real"-looking sliders over the "in-meter" ones used before. Very nice touch to add an old-style knob for the Control Room Level. It really makes us old-timers feel at home.

Pity though, that there still seems to be no Key Commands for the Cue Channels buttons. It would have been great when controlling Cubase from IC Pro. Well, maybe in the future.

Great job, Steiny.
by Svenne
Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yosemite :-)

One big difference is that this time anyone, including YOU, can join the beta testing program:
https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

So why wait for for Steinberg? Get a beta copy, when it becomes available, and see what problems crop up on your system. Then you'll even get the opportunity to do something about them.
by Svenne
Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase AI 7 - New User

It's impossible to "transfer" the content of a MIDI track to an Audio track. If I understand you correctly, you want to make an Audio version of your Instrument Track. One way of doing this is exporting the track as an audio-file and then re-import it to the arrangement on a new Audio Track. Just drag and drop the audio-file from the desktop to your arrangement, and a new audio-track will be created automatically.

Just remember to mute the Instrument Track, after you've imported the audio-file. Otherwise, the track will play back twice!

Another option is to "freeze" the Instrument Track, but I'm not sure that Cubase AI has this option. When you "Freeze" the Track, Cubase does all the exporting and importing for you (so to say). The best thing with Freezing is that you can easily "Un-Freeze" the track, edit your MIDI data and then "Freeze" the track again.
by Svenne
Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase AI 7 - New User

Any way I can route the VST instrument midi track to an audio track?
Not directly, but there is a work-around. Create a Group Channel track. Now, route the output of the Instrument track to this Group Channel track. Next, create an Audio track. You then select the Group Channel track as the input of this Audio track. Now, you can record your Instrument track as an ordinary Audio track.

Yes, it's is a bit complicated, but until Steinberg allows us to route Instrument tracks to Audio tracks, this is how you do it. Mind you, you loose the conveniences of "Freezing" the track. (see below)

Freeze makes your midi track a frozen audio track, not much you can do with it beside playback.
On the contrary, my dear mroekalea. You can easily unfreeze the Instrument track, and continue editing the MIDI.

The benefit over exporting is that you don't have to re-import the audio file and remember to mute the Instrument track. Cubase takes care of all this for you, by the click of a button. If you then find that you need to change a note, just click the "Freeze" button (now called unfreeze) again, edit your MIDI and hit "Freeze" again. Much faster and more convenient than "messing about" with manual exporting/importing.
by Svenne
Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: switching operating systems

I am about to face a situation where I will need to track in a studio that uses a Mac, then overdubs and mixing in a studio with a PC. Will that work without issues? Will I be able to open a project file on a PC that was created with a Mac?

If not, surely I am not the only one to have faced this issue...possibly create an OMF instead?
The project files are completely platform independent. That said, there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

You need to make sure that, if possible, the inputs and outputs (including their names) of the audio interfaces are set-up the same. Otherwise Cubase will tell you that it can't connect the input/outputs.

You need to make sure that you have all VST/VSTi plug-ins used installed on both systems. Here's where a project might become platform dependent; if a plug-in is only available on one of the platforms! If that is the case, simply avoid using that plug-in.

If you follow these "rules" you'll have no problem moving you Project folder between the Mac and the PC.
by Svenne
Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Old Steinberg VST instruments with Cubase 7.5 64bit

You should be able to use them with the VST Bridge. I'm not sure how it works on the PC, but on the Mac the Bridge is a piece of junk. In order to edit any parameter you need to:
1) Stop Cubase playing (or go to step 2 and Cubase automatically stops).
2) Double-click on the plug-ins mini-interface.
3) Make your edit
4) "close" the plug-ins full interface
5) Start Cubase playing

If your not satisfied with your edit, you need to go through the entire procedure again.

This is too unwieldy to be of any use, in the long run. My advice is; Upgrade those plug-ins that are available in 64-bit and throw away the rest (this is what I have done). This is true for effects as well as instruments.

Or you could run Cubase in 32-bit mode and everything will be business as usual.
by Svenne
Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: copy fader level to sends for phones mix

If you have "Control Room" activated in Cubase, right click on any of the Cue names. You can then select "From selected mixer channels" for all Cues or individual. See page 224 in the pdf manual for more information.
by Svenne
Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can't see loudness meter

You need to upgrade to the full version of Cubase. Artist and Elements don't support EBU Loudness Metering.
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/line_up.html

Or you could seek out a thirdparty alternative. Here are a couple of (expensive) ones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug5UQNg8F4k

At the other end, I believe that Steinberg themselves has a free (unsupported) loundness meter for download, but I can't recall it's name.
by Svenne
Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mac, Cubase 7.5 SSD and Ram upgrade

I was thinking, go to the computer store have them install everything and enclose my current Harddrive. Use OSX Recovery and clone my current Harddrive to the newly installed SSD.
That's one way of doing things. However, I usually "clean up" the computer at the same time. That means that I reformat the drive and reinstall everything from scratch. Just make sure that you de install any licenses (check the manufactures website how to do this) otherwise they will be lost. This usually gives a niftier computer, since a lot of junk (that will be reinstalled with clone backup) gets thrown out, but can take a considerable time and effort. But I think it's worth it.

My question is can I expect Cubase, all plugins and application to work exactly as before? As anyone ever done this? Will I have to renter serial numbers?
This is a bit trickier issue though. With regard to Cubase (and any dongle protected software), there is no issue as the license is contained in the dongle. Just install it on the new drive. The same could be said for software that is protected by a "simple" serial number and, of cause, unprotected software.

When it comes to software that is protected by C/R (challenge/response) protection systems, things get a bit trickier. Not all licenses will transfer correctly. Not even with a cloned drive. Some C/R systems even look at your hardware. These may decide that your computer is unauthorized if you changed any hardware, say the graphics card or added memory. Since you are changing you HD to an SSD, they would probably affect you.

It always a good idea to check any C/R protected software vendor's site for any information about moving the software from one installation (in this case drive) to another. And de-authorize the software, and authorize it on the new drive later.

As anyone ever done this?
Millions have, and many have run into trouble by taking the fast and easy lane. I understand if all this sound a bit complicated. But a bit of preparation can save you a lot of grief later.
by Svenne
Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General question about how to organize files

ok, i'm finally getting around to taking Svennes advice. I just renamed all the files in the pool, and I created a new folder under "cubase projects" with the name of my project inside that folder. Next Svenne said I should copy all the files from finder, and put them in the audio folder in the new project folder. I dont see an "audio" folder in there. I even went to "save as" and saved my project into the new folder I created, but i dont see a folder that says audio. So where exactly do i paste the files? thanks!

You should create the project folder from within Cubase. Not in Finder/Windows Explorer!
1) When you see the Steinberg Hub, make sure that "Prompt for project location" is selected.
2) Select the More pane and then "Empty"
3) Click on "Create Empty..."
4) Navigate to your Project Folder (or any subfolder you wish to use), click on "New Folder", name your project folder in, click "Create" and click "Open".

Cubase will now create a correctly formatted Project Folder (containing an "Audio" subfolder) in your selected location. This is how you should begin every new project, from now on. It's also recommended that you save your newly created project, the first thing you do. Just as a safety measure. Unfortunately, Cubase doesn't do this automatically.

However, since this exercise was only for creating a project folder, you can close the new project window. You don't need it, as you will save your "original" project to this project folder.

Oh and one more thing. He mentioned restoring the orginal file names.. how do i do that once I change the name in the pool?
The rule is that you should always change file-names and delete files from within Cubase, as it otherwise will loose it connection with the file(s). However, in this specific case, you want to "break" the link!

When you save the Project to the new Project Folder, it's still connected to the audio files in the old Project Folder. We don't want that. We obviously want it to be connected to the audio files in the new Project Folder (where your Project (.cpr) file resides).

By restoring the file names (changing them names back, from ABC_audio05_4 back to audio05_4, etc) in the Finder/Windows Explorer ( Not in the Pool), the links will "break" and Cubase will request that you relocate the Project Folder. This time the new one, and the Project will be connected to the correct copies of the audio file. You can, now, resore the names of the "new" copies of the audio files aswell, it you wish. Note however that this time it must be done in the Pool.

The benefit, for you, in restoring the names of the file names to break the links, opposed to erasing them, is that if they are used in another project, they will still work with that project.

Please, add your equipment list to your signature. It's must easier for us to help you if we know what OS, Cubase version, etc. you are using. Click on "User Control Panel" in the header. Select Profile/Edit Signature and enter your equipment specifications. The more specific you are, the greater the chance of getting adequate help.
by Svenne
Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General question about how to organize files

I see, from your description, that you you've not set up a correctly formatted project folder. There are two ways to do this. Either from within Cubase, by designating a Project Folder, when you create the project. I suggested that you set up a dummy project, just to get a properly format folder for the "fixed" project files. If you set up the folder structure in Finder (as you appear to have done), you need to add the Audio folder yourself.

Note, however, that saving the "fixed" project to the new project folder does not designate it as the Project Folder. The new Project file still refers to the audio files in the old Project Folder (the messy one). This is why you need restore the names, in the Finder , after you've copied them to the Audio folder in the new project folder, in order to beak the "links" to the old Project Folder. When Cubase tells you to re-link the connections (in the "Missing Files") dialog, the links will change to the new project folder and it will be designated as the Project Folder" for this project.

This means that any new recordings will end up in this Audio folder. If you omit this step the new recordings will end up in the old (messy) Audio folder.

By the way, I've figured out a faster way then renaming all the files.
1) Open the Pool and see which files are used in the project.
2) Copy these files to the new project folder. Note that files may belong to the project you want to fix and still be denoted as unused. For example it you've recorded several takes of, say the bass, and removed all but one from the Project window. It may therefore be a good idea to listen to any unused files that look as they belong to the project being fixed and copy those you want to keep aswell.
3) Copy the old Project file to the new project folder.
4) Drag the Audio folder, from the old Project folder, to the Desktop. This will also "break" the links.
5) Open the Project file in the new project folder.
6) When you get the missing link dialog click "Folder" and navigate to the Audio Folder in the new project folder. Cubase will now relink to all the used files that are found. If the missing files dialog returns, you may have missed copying one or more file(s). If this happens you can either copy the missing files (you may need to repeat step 6) or, if you don't want to keep them, click "Close" and then go to the Pool and delete them there.
7) Save the new project. You now have a "fixed" project.

Move the old "Audio" folder back to the original folder, and repeat the procedure for any other project you want to "fix".
by Svenne
Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to find sample key?

Hi guys, can anyone tell me how do i find the key to a sample in cubase please?
Your question is ambiguous which is why you got two different answers.

Do you mean:

a) Pitch of a note of a sample? Then Centralmusic's suggestion is the answer.

b) Key of a sample of music? That is harder, but typically the key is what the ending note is, but only if the piece is not making a definite statement in its ending, which may be at odds with the sentiment of the rest of the piece.
To do a bit of nitpicking here; sachin22s question is not ambiguous. Your answer contributes to the confusion though. The "Key" always refers to the chord progression of a piece of music (which, technically, can be a single chord or a whole symphony). The pitch of a single note is always referred to as "Pitch".

Since sachin22 is asking for the "Key", he's asking for (b) not (a). Therefore, what he need is a polyphonic detection system. I believe that software versions are beginning to show up. But the most advanced polyphonic detection software still resides in the brain of a human musician.
by Svenne
Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 30th Anniversary, anything for loyal customers?

I bet whoever had this idea likes to drink Cafe Latte and has no idea about neither music nor software.
Neither has any grasp, what so ever, about the differences of good and bad business practices. And has, most likely, never heard the words "customer relations" and "customer satisfaction". One must wonder what this person's qualifications, if any, are? ;)
by Svenne
Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 30th Anniversary, anything for loyal customers?

To me, the conduct here is immature. That is my opinion and I don't think you guys are bad dudes. I actually enjoy reading your posts and listening to your work.
The problem is that Steinberg has claimed that it's a celebration ! I suggest that, on your next birthday, you invite all new people to a party and deny all your old friends attendance. Then see how many friends, if any, you will have left.
by Svenne
Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do you use dual monitors and Cubase?

I'd advise anyone to take a close look at Cubase IC Pro, before investing in a second monitor. Granted, the added screen real estate has speeded up my workflow. However, I find that IC Pro has had a much bigger impact. The way I see it, is has four huge benefits:
Transport Controls
It's much easier to control Cubase with buttons, than with the alpha-numerical keyboard.

Accessing all manner of features in Cubase
It's much faster to be able to access various features by pushing a (virtual) button, than using menus and the mouse or memorizing hundreds of Key Commands.

Moving faders
I'm deffinetly not a fan of virtual faders but IC Pro can do something that otherwise only physical Control Panels can. Move multiple faders simultaneously .

Remote control Cubase
If I want to lay down some (say) vocals myself, and don't have a spare engineer loitering around, I can take my iPad (or Android tablet) with me and control Cubase from the studio. No more running back and forth between the Studio and the Control Room. This is a huge time-saver.

Also if you've already got a tablet (there is a phone version available aswell) it's quite cheap.

And NO! I don't work for Steinberg. I just find it a very useful investment.
by Svenne
Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to connect a mixer to an audio interface?

You description lacks one vital piece of hardware: An audio interface. I'm not that acquainted with your laptop, it may have Audio Input connectors that you could use in a pinch. However, computers built in audio interfaces are regularly of pretty poor quality, so I'd recommend that you invest in an external one. If you only will record two channels (which your description hints at), a relatively simple one like this one could serve you well:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_serie/modelle/ur22.html

If you need to record multiple channels simultaneously, thje prices obviously goes up:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur44.html
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur28m.html
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/mr_serie/start.html
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur824.html

Up to three MR816's can be daisy-chained together, giving you a total of 48 (16 analog & 16 digital) inputs.

Question 1a and 1b: Which software would provide the minimum features to record this event? Also which software would provide the most ideal recording?
This is an unusual question. Most would have asked for the maximum features. Anyway, if all you want to do is making stereo (or mono) recordings of your sermons, I would recommend a Stereo recorder such as WaveLab. You won't have any use of the multitrack recording capabilities of Cubase.

WaveLab Elements 8 would probably be a good choice. It's inexpensive, but I believe it will cover your needs:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/wavelab/line_up/wavelab_elements_8.html
You can download a trial version here: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/wavelab/trial.html

Question 2: Can I record the sermon using the MSI CX61 2P laptop, an interface, the mixer, and wireless mic?
Yes. Provided that the receiver for the mic does have an output volume knob, you won't even need a mixer.

Question 3: If I can record, what would be the best method to connect these components?
1. Connect the mic-receiver to an interface input. Either directly or through a mixer.
2. Connect the interface to the computer or install the driver software. Some manufactures require you to connect the interface before installing the drivers, while others require that you do it the other way around. Consult the operations manual for the interface, for the correct procedure.
3. Install and launch WaveLab Elements (or whatever recording software you will use).
4. Before you can record anything, you must tell WLE about your audio interface and where you want the recorded audio to end up (as well as file format). Again, consult the operations manual for the correct procedure(s).

Hope this helps to get you going. Good luck.
by Svenne
Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: since update expression maps settings not working 'halfw

My system is: Win7 64bit, 8Gig RAM, Cubase 7.5.2, AMD video card, MOTU midi interface (not connected).
Tip!
Click on "User Control Panel" at the top of the page. Select "Profile" in the top-row of tabs. Select "Edit Signature" on the side-tabs to the left. Enter your system information.

Now, your system information will be included with every post you make. This will greatly increase your chances of getting correct help in the future. Just don't forget to edit your system information when you buy new equipment.
by Svenne
Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Import Nuendo project into Cubase Artist 7.5

Well... using Trial is better than nothing... thanks for the idea!
But I hope Steinberg will release some tools for project conversion: why not?
If there still are some Nuendo only options used in the project, you could download the Nuendo trial and use that:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/nuendo_range/nuendo/trial.html

There is one vast difference between the Cubase and Nuendo trials. While the Cubase trial-license is based on a calender month, the Nuendo trial-license is based in working hours . 400 of them to be exact. So, if you use it sparingly and work quickly, it could last you quite some time.
by Svenne
Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & Cubase 7/7.5?

OS X 10.10 is here. I have read some postings about Cubase's compatibility (issues) spread out in several topics. However, I think it would be of interest to all Mac users to have these findings consolidated into one topic.

So, anyone who has tested Cubase 7/7.5 with OS X 10.10. Please post your findings in this topic. (But for everyone's sake, keep it clean. No rantings, please)
by Svenne
Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Weird Mute behaviour

Thanks Louis. That solved that issue, to a certain extent. The fact that the preferences setting doesn't "stick", is a serious issue, though. Who has ever heard of a Preferences setting that need to be reset every time the program is launched? It kinda defeats the whole purpose of Preferences, doesn't it? I'll pop off a note in issues about this.

Perhaps you can help me with another irritating anomaly? When I solo an KX channel, all the source channels are soloed aswell ! Consider a project with 10 audio channels. Each sending to a reverb, located on an effects channel. If I solo the FX channel, all the to source channels are soloed aswell. Soloing all gives the same result as not Solo at all. The only way to solo the output of the reverb seems to be to set all the sends to pre-fader (sends to reverbs are routinely set to post-fader) and ether lower all faders or, not forgetting the "Mute pre-send when mute" preference, muting all the faders. This would, of cause, ruin the mix you were working on!

I hope that this is some kind of settings issue, but I've been unable to find it.
by Svenne
Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & Cubase 7/7.5?

Did a clean install of Yosemite today. Did then try to install Cubase 7 Artist with the Steinberg application installer for Yosemite. Installation was succesfull according to the installer. But Cubase is nowhere to be found on the computer. Much strange! So beware everyone who tend to be too quick updating.
Did you use the Yosemite install tool, when you installed. It is apparently required at the moment:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/official-letter-on-yosemite-update-2837.html

Check out orchetect's excellent posting here:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=393274#p393274
by Svenne
Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Disillusioned cubase artist 7.5 user

Is it possible to send a midi signal with all the tracks (could be 16 or less) to Cubase and then work on that composition within cubase, tweak sounds, edit drums etc?
If you mean recording what the internal sequencer plays in Cubase, it depends on the M3. If the M3 transmits what the sequencer plays via MIDI (not all do), yes. I'm not familiar with the M3, so you need to consult the manual.

You need to set either Cubase or the M3 as master and the other as slave. Now, put a MIDI tracks into Record ready and start recording. When you're finished, you'll have a MIDI track with all the channels on it. Select MIDI / Dissolve Part and make sure that Separate Channels is selected. Click OK. Now you will get one MIDI track per channel and you can edit the instruments separately.

Another option is if the M3 comes with any utility to save the sequencer content as a MIDI file. Then you could import (and dissolve, if need be) this into Cubase.

With regard to your other question. In order to hear anything playing through Cubase, you must turn on the monitor button (the one with a little speaker icon on it ii the tracklist or MixConsole). It should be brown. If you still hear nothing, or hear strange phasing sounds, you need to carefully read the section in the manual on setting up MIDI (page 19). Pay special attention to "Setting MIDI Thru and Local On/Off" on page 20.
by Svenne
Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & Cubase 7/7.5?

I installed Cubase 7.5 in Yosemite, and it works well, but the installer for Halion Sonic SE 2 won't accept the operating system. I used the Steinberg App installer to install Cubase, but it doesn't find the Halion Sonic SE 2 install.. Even though the installer is mounted.
Do anyone else have the same issue? Thx, C
Did you install from dics or from images? Which App Installer did you use? The one on the discs/images don't work. You'll need to download this one: http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/content_and_accessories/content_and_accessories_saitfy.html

I downloaded the iso images, mounted both and ran the Steinberg Yesmite installer app. As far as I can tell, everything installed correctly.
by Svenne
Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How to access the hardware controls in Cubase 7+

The description, in the MR816X/CSX manual, on how to access the hardware controls is useless for anyone using Cubase 7 or later.

Here's where you find it in the MixConsole. At the top of the "Chanel Racks" a new "Hardware" rack should appear, containing the hardware controls:
Hardware rack.png

In case you don't see this rack, make sure that "Hardware" in the "Racks" menu is checked:
Racks Visibility menu.png

Hope this help you save some time searching.
by Svenne
Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can cubase mix and master like top 40 market

You can do most about anything with Cubase, but I'm afraid it lacks the most important feature: The mix/mastering engineer! The engineers knowledge and experience is the single most important ingredient to achieve a top of the line mix. I'm afraid that Cubase can't help you there, but who knows what Cubase 8 has in store. :)
by Svenne
Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Delete VCA Fader?

Rule #1: The VCA can only be deleted from within the Arrange window. Not from the mixer. There is absolutely no way to delete a VCA from the mixer directly.
Actually, this is not true. There is a way to remove the VCA faders from the MixConsole.
1. Select "Edit Link Group Settings..." in the pop-up meny above the fader.
2. Uncheck "Use VCA Fader" in the dialog that pops up and select "OK".
3. Select "Yes" in the warning dialog that pops up.
4. Bye-bye VCA fader!

Maybe not the most logical procedure, but it's no bug! It's all explained in this video, at 03:01:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV5sg9bvI20&list=UULRLC0yPbRD-JaKzb5wKDdQ

It's also covered in the PDF manual on page 307.
by Svenne
Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic