Search found 31 matches

Return

Re: Free Mixing

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm

Also may find something interesting up there ^^ .
by alexis
Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Matching MIDI to audio

Create a tempo track from the audio by using either:
-The timewarp tool
-Merge tempo from tapping
-The C6 tempo recognition tool

Thank you for your reply.

Of these three what have you found to be the best system? From reading the manual I would guess the C6 tempo recognition tool would be best with just drum tracks.

The tempo tapping tool sounds like a lot of editing for four-minute song.

That leaves time-warp.
So you would set up an approximate MIDI tempo, import it, then apply the time-warp to the MIDI track, leaving the Audio in ... [I get them mixed up sorry 'linear' or 'musical' mode] and align the MIdi visually say on beat one of each bar, then go back over and tidy up the synchronisation for beats two-three four etc or other accents> Does that sound like the right work-flow? Do you normally work this way?
:geek: :?:

I'm interested to hear a way to do this right that isn't a lot of work for a 4 minute song!

For extensive discussion on how to do this, you may want to google search this forum for posts by vic_france and crotchety, throw the words "free-tempo" or similar in there to narrow down the results.

FWIW, I always do what you do - free tempo a keyboard recording, then apply MIDI parts to it. The way I do it is to :

1) Create a tempo map that accurately follows the audio. I do use "Merge Tempo From Tapping" because the automatic tempo detection doesn't work that well for my piano audio, but as you pointed there are other methods. I then tidy up the tempo map with the Time Warp tool so it exactly follows the audio.

2) I then get the audio to play at a fixed tempo, temporarily so I can overdub MIDI. To do this, I apply the "Set Definition From Tempo" tool ( after making the exact tempo map, above!), then deactivate the tempo track and put it at a fixed value, 90 or 93 beats per minute, etc. (i.e., at the tempo that the audio would be at without the nice free-flowing tempo variations). When the song is played back now, the audio plays at a fixed tempo.

3) Now that the audio plays back at a fixed tempo, it is easy-peasy to overdub MIDI parts.

4) Once I'm happy with the MIDI overdubs, I reactivate the tempo track, the audio will go back to its free-flowing tempo, and the MIDI will of course follow it.

Of course, if you don't want tempo variations in the audio, you can stop at step 2 - the audio plays back as if it were recorded to a metronome.

Hope this is helpful!
by alexis
Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Possible Noob Question: Tempo Change Click Count In?

I usually do it this way..
(lets say I want a 1 bar count-in before the start of the new tempo)..
I create a MIDI track, routed to a metronome sound, and record one bar of click during the first bar of the new tempo.
I then switch that MIDI track over to Linear Timebase, set Snap to "Events", then drag-copy that one bar click Part backwards, such that the end of the copied Part butts against the start of the original. (If necessary I can then delete the original, although I am more likely to want to keep it).

Thanks, as always, vic_france.

(Is there a one-click macro to type out that above phrase?? :D )
by alexis
Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tempo adjustment

Sorry, I can't remember precisely, but did the video do your step #3?
by alexis
Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creating Vocal Harmonies

Two things:

1) Sound on Sound had a very in depth tutorial on how to use Melodyne in the past 6-12 months, my recollection is that it mainly had a technical as opposed to creative focus, but might be worth digging it up to see if there were any pearls there for you.

2) I will often sing a harmony, then hard tune it and bury it off to the side in a busy vocal section, when turned low enough in volume it is almost a subliminal harmony. Doesn't work in "exposed" vocals, but it works great for "Bohemian Rhapsody" type things.

3) Sound on Sound had a suggestion in this month's Cubase tutorial on VariAudio which sounds intriguing: Sing a harmony, then hard tune it (as above), then use THAT as a guide vocal for a real singer to lay down a harmony line. They say it works great, I can't wait to try it.

Parenthetically: thinking of trialing Revoice Pro 2 (synchroarts.com), youtubes make it seem like it is so incredibly powerful for harmony work. I trialed the baby version, "Vocalign" and it was utterly amazing how easy it was to match the timing of one vocal line to another ... quite literally a single click of a button. Revoice Pro 2 does that, but in addition it also does doubling work. Though I think it also may generate harmonies, I'll probably do that in VariAudio then bring it over to Revoice Pro 2 if I wind up going that route.
by alexis
Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 Dedicated Keyboard/keycaps?

Jenks wrote:I can also confirm that Editor Keys works just great with 7.5

Thank you G-string and Jenks!
by alexis
Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Proposed new DAW ... any comments/suggestions appreciate

The deed is done. As described in the 2d build, a few posts above. Thank you everybody for the helpful comments and suggestions!

Got the build from ADK. Worked with a Chris Ludwig, very patient, very helpful. He will also load Cubase 7.5.?0, the UAD-2 solo card, and optimize/tweak. Might get him to load my Jamstix 3 as well, you get 3 free loads I believe, though I might use those up with the UR28M.

Can't wait to have a system that won't make me bounce down just about everything just so I can keep working!

:)
by alexis
Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

CubaseTutorial.net - changing to App ONLY? Or also?

Hi - The link in my sig connects to what was a great on-line resource. When I stopped in, it looks like they're changing over to an App ($2-$3).

That's very nice, but I know my use will decline a lot if I can't pull up the material on a desktop/laptop. I **might** be willing to pay for that access if I could acess it on a desktop/laptop.

Is the owner of the site around, can they clarify what their plans are?

Thanks!
by alexis
Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Links to Steinberg's Cubase Troubleshooting Tips

Step-by-Step: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/troubleshooting-instructions-for-cubase-nuendo-and-sequel-on-windows/kb_back/2020.html

Including Cubase Safe Mode: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/safe-start-mode-resetting-the-cubase-preferences.html
by alexis
Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Advanced] Timing instruments to each other

Hi A.j.

Excellent advice from registered. I'll add my 2c as someone who records a lot of free-flowing piano/vocal and then overdubs to that.

Tracking without click went worse.
It's definitely possible to use Cubase's tools to help ... but I am strongly inclined to believe that the better option would almost always be to have the drummer practice until they can play along well to the free-flowing piano/vocal. I'd think any drummer that plays live, i.e., plays well without a click track, would get this down without too much pain and misery.

This recommendation/bias is based on my experience that often in free-flowing piano/vocals, the non-quantized aspect that makes it so interesting and personal is not just that the tempo is variable, but that - even within that variable tempo - many of the piano/vocal "hits" are off the grid (intentionally leading or lagging behind the would be tempo track). So setting up a tempo track so the clicks line up exactly with the piano/vox hits (using tap tempo, etc.) is easy enough, but can suck the life out the piece.

The alternative (deciding for each "hit" of the piano/vox whether it is truly played before/on/or after the theoretical tempo click) is often enough so hard that I think it sounds better to humanize the accompanying tracks (by having the accompanyist, drums in this case, practice enough to sound good playing along live) rather than force them to fit a tempo track of dubious relationship to the actual song.

What's your best advice for fixing this, assuming I start using the existing drum recording (that we tracked to click) ?

But, if you can't retrack the drums ... creating hit points on the drum track (I've read that Cubase 7.x is much better than 6.5 to do this, but I can't confirm), then using the best piano/vox click track you can make to guide where to slide the drums is something to try as well.

Good luck, hope you turn out to be the hero!

(PS - there are some links in my sig relating to this topic, maybe they'll be helpful a bit).
by alexis
Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

I don't have C7, but should be loading it up in the next week or two. So please forgive this ignorant question re: problems w/ "full screen" mixer ...

Why wouldn't hitting F3 to close the mixer and expose the VST/plug-in windows for editing be an effective and simple solution to the "hiding" problems described above? Then when finished in the VST/plug-in windows, hit F3 again to get the mixer up?

Thanks, I'm just doing what I can by reading the C7 forums to hit the ground running as much as possible when I load up the C7 I've purchased.
by alexis
Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Half playback speed for midi

The Cubase 7.5.20 new feature, is it called Track Versions? ... anyway, I have heard one can have different versions of the tempo track as well. If true, having a "half-speed tempo track" to toggle into and out of might be helpful here, if I'm understanding the problem correctly.
by alexis
Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kudos to Steinberg Tech Support by email: AI 7 activation

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=59473&p=359336#p359336

Thumbnail: They ("Chris Dobbs") got back to me within 1 working day of my submitting an email tech request from mysteinberg ... a complete solution to a vexing problem.

Thanks!
by alexis
Mon May 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Warping audio with tempo track to fixed tempo

I have a project that has a reference audio track that has a variable tempo. I was able to create a tempo map by using the tapping technique. So currently when I play back using the tempo track, the bars/beats along with the click line up perfectly to the reference audio.

I would now like to warp the audio so that it lines up with a fixed tempo track. The fixed tempo would be the average tempo of the tempo track. I can't figure out how to this, but I have to believe that it can be done. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Ron

After you've done what you said in the 1st paragraph, apply the function "Set definition from tempo" to the audio (I think it's in the Sample Editor chapter, but you can search in the .pdf to find it).

Then, you can turn the tempo track on, type the desired fixed tempo, and the audio will play back at that steady tempo.

(I think the 1st link in my sig goes into more detail).

Good luck!
by alexis
Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recording Midi (Volume?)

Hi Paul -

To get rid of the clipping ...

I'd guess the clipping would be from your interface's input trim/volume being too high as it receives the audio from your keyboard, and can be adjusted best with adjusting the interface control.

I have a similar recording chain, and keep my keyboard synth volume fader all the way up.

Hope that helps!
by alexis
Sun May 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recording Midi (Volume?)

It might be worth going back to basics to efficiently trouble shoot ...

Record one keyboard out via MIDI to Cubase MIDI track in to Keyboard in to Keyboard out via Audio to Cubase Audio track in. New project, no plug-ins, etc, especially on the master channel.

Do you hear "clipping"?

If so use your meter "input" and "post pan/post fader" output views on all audio channels (two of them in this case) ... make sure there's nothing close to 0 dBFS.

If you still hear clipping it might be speakers, or interface audio out issues. Or something else, but at least you'll have eliminated gain staging issues as a potential cause.

PS - could not open your link ...
by alexis
Mon May 19, 2014 1:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multiple outputs and Control Room

Hi, can you explain the exclusive output control? TBH I find all this output stuff and the control room business quite confusing but I somehow managed to set it up. :lol:

I understand what you're saying, I can't have my soundcard outs coming out of the outs on the Input pane and out of the Studio(control room) pane at the same time but you're saying there is a button that would allow this? I wouldn't know what I was doing but I just don't understand how I can't just have a second output come out of my monitors alike the default stereo out.

I do this as I often have a references that I want to hear without all the master bus processing I have on my actual mix, bypassing them is tedious.

Thanks.

I believe it's a Preference, maybe down towards the bottom for Control Room, or if not that, one of the VST windows.
by alexis
Wed May 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone using lil 'Auratone' boxes?

Im using avantones actives as a 3rd pair. Mostly just a last-instance reality check before sending stuff off. Kind of expensive considering I may find a decent pc speaker to do the job.

Oh and they are definitely being sold in single speaker units.

Hey lucas - I'll be in NYC this wknd ... are you seeing them as single units there? (I'm not an eBay person).
by alexis
Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ur28m upgrade from ci1

I've never used the ci1, so can't speak to the preamp and adda quality vis-a-vis ur28M.

But ... why do you want to upgrade to the ur28m? If it's because of features, I *think* you can rest assured the quality won't be WORSE than the ci1 ... at best it would be the same (and probably better) than the ci1 - and that probably holds true for the alternate "new" UR-44 unit as well (not sure about the UR-22 pedigree, when it came out relative to the ci1).

So since it has more features than the ci1, why not just upgrade now? (Then you can compare and report back here so the next guy will know for sure!).

I'm just starting out using the UR28M, and am happy with it. There are 1 or 2 expert UR28M users on this forum, who you will be able to identify easily with a quick scan of the forum - they are pro engineers (unlike me), and if they're happy with the UR28M's quality, that is a good sign, IMO!
by alexis
Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: F4/Routing Presets are Unloaded when window is closed

Hello,

Hello,

I cannot reproduce this, It works as expected.

Best regards,
GN

Thank you for checking, Guillermo.

Can you clarify please - as I'm not saying the actual connections have changed, but on my system the name in the little window is blank ...

Are you saying when you do my repro, the "Presets" field retains the name in it?

I now see what you mean, it works as expected except it will not show the name in the box.
The connections will stay as you left them but the name will not be shown.

Best regards,
GN

Thank you, Guillermo.
(I fixed your reply by adding the word in red ;-) . )

Could you ask the programmers please to look at fixing this so the name stays in the "Presets" field, which would be expected?

Thank you!
by alexis
Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Did someone post a Track Pictures pack?

I could swear I saw someone post a thread with a pack of Track Pictures within the past few weeks. I have been very busy and didn't get to download them. Now, I can't find the thread. I found one with some Track Color settings but can't find the Track Pictures. If someone knows where it is at, I would like to download them.
Sincerely,
J.L.

This one?

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=29857
by alexis
Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Looking for software to test cubase midi out timing

No prob, sorry that wasn't what you were looking for!

If you run into a dead end ... the author of that article (Martin Walker) is probably as well-acquainted with the sort of testing you describe as anyone on the planet, and he is eminently approachable on the SOS forums, even by PM (the forums can be linked to from my previous post).

Good luck!
by alexis
Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Set Definition from Tempo Confusion

I'm trying to drop a reference song (at about 127 bpm) into my 125 bpm project.

I want the reference song to be tempo adjusted and locked to the 125 bpm project.

I followed Greg Ondo's excellent tutorial on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13UP4lrYkg

1) Select the reference song track and choose Project -> Tempo Detection...
2) Change time signature from its default set 1/4 to 4/4.
3) Select the track and choose Audio -> Advanced -> Set Definition from Tempo...

Now Cubase changes its tempo to match the Tempo Track based on the variations in the reference song.

Great.

Now to have it do the opposite, warp the reference song to match a fixed tempo, I should only have to remove the data on the Tempo Track, or deactivate the Tempo Track. Right?

So I do that.

Either way, while the reference song now does indeed lock to the fixed tempo as it should, the rest of my tracks are somehow offbeat, not looping correctly, etc.

How is this possible?

This doesn't make sense because the tempo, at this point, is fixed and is the same tempo as when they were playing back fine. Some tracks, like MIDI drum machines, seem to play back the same as they did before the Set Def. from Tempo, but other VSTi's (some frozen, some not) do not play like they originally did.

Again, same fixed tempo as before I started all this. So nothing, for them, should have changed, right?

Only that one reference song that I applied the Set Def. from Tempo on should be affected by all this, correct?

Hi Jalcide - Not in front of DAW, and didn't watch vid, but may be helpful to a) put all MIDI tracks in linear time base (the clock icon, rather than the yellow/orange quarter note icon), and to make sure all the OTHER audio tracks are not set to Musical Mode.

(PS Would consider working on a dummy renamed version of the project, sometimes it gets too crazy to get back to where you started if things don't go right!)
by alexis
Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Professional Audio Editing

Please music friends, I need your help. What is the best way to learn all the audio editing features in cubase 7/7.5?
Any website, youtube video, blog, tutorial...
I mean professional editing techniques explained in a DIRECT way.
Thanks a lot
F

Might find the Steinberg channel on youtube will help, might even be able to access them through the Steinberg Hub. IIRC, they have "getting started" vids, ones that are more detailed, and others.

May also help to buy Mike Senior's "Mixing for the Small Studio", the title might not be exactly reproduced.
by alexis
Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR44- Can't choose dsp fx in cubase 7.5

What Alexis is trying to explain to you is in reference to your JPG. On the right side almost halfway up there is a small oval with a dot in it. This is connected with lines showing the signal routing. You should put your mouse cursor over this oval and click and drag it downwards. You should then see the channel strip appear, and the routing line change. Read (8) Effect Insertion Location on page 16 of your Manual.

Holy Hand Grenades, it's what I *did* tell her! :)

Hi Lauri -

Item 8 on page 16 of your manual ...

Anyway, does that part help Lauri? If not post back, I'm pretty sure it can get working for you ... 8-)
by alexis
Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's it! haha.
Many performers don't like click, they want to be free to play with time.
For bands they can build climax not only with volume and texture but with tempo too.
What i mean by professional editing is to have the technique to apply some small corrections without loose the aesthetic and performance feeling.
all the best

F

Hey Flav - that is the magic of Cubase, you can build your click track to match your band's playing, and then even stretch it all out to different tempos and everything stays in sync, like fantastic plastic elastic audio, yes!

It's in the manual about tempo detect, Time Warp, Set Definition from Tempo. Some of the links in my sig I think can maybe get you started too.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, it's magic! I know ...
by alexis
Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This reminds me I really should try the "new and improved" hit point detection in Cubase 7.5.20 . I tried it in 6.5 and abandoned it, maybe too soon, but it just didn't seem to help enough.

On the other hand, the Tap Tempo, Time Warp, Set Definition stuff seems to work about the same in 7.5.20, fairly straight-forward (though it took me forever to figure out how to get it going, a big part of it was to put the other tracks in Linear Time Base, iirc). Not saying it isn't tedious!

I agree w/ what someone wrote around here not too long ago, it's always a balance between "still too sloppy" (too few Time Warp points) and "all the life got sucked out of this" (Time Warp points every beat, or more often!). I guess it depends on the style of music too, i.e., intentionally tempo-varied vs. rigid EDM-type stuff.
by alexis
Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR44- Can't choose dsp fx in cubase 7.5

Help needed.

Can't choose any dsp fxs on edit them in cubase 7.5 mix console hardware section. The insert fx is grayed out.
Any suggestions?

thnx
Lauri

Hi Lauri -

Item 8 on page 16 of your manual ... that little button on the little bead-like thingy - if it is in the "up" position it's all grayed out ... is yours in the up position?

As far as I can tell, if you want to hear the dsp fx in the cans while tracking but not record them on the track itself, the little button goes in the middle position (and the dsp fx is no longer grayed out).

And if you want to hear the fx in the cans while tracking, AND record them as well, the button goes in the bottom of the three positions.

Does that fix it?

(As far as I can tell, the Rev-X is not able to be sent to the track from the hardware panel, at least that's what the buttons imply to me. But you can open up Rev-X as a regular old insert in an audio channel).

Also ... I have been trying to get the Rev-X in the cans while tracking (that part is easy), but panned off center - that part I can't do (While singing, I like to have a guide vocal playing in the cans, panned slightly left, and the live tracked vocal panned slightly right). If you can figure out how to do that, please let me know by posting here (or probably better, to keep the forum clean, in my other thread a few posts below at this moment)!
by alexis
Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Step-By-Step Guide for using the Remote Control Editor

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr14/a ... e-0414.htm

Nice review on integrating all the different remote control options in Cubase 7.5 .
by alexis
Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Need to spend $$ on Kontact 5 for Piano in Blue?

Hi - I was listening to demos of Cinesamples Piano in Blue, and decided to check out the price, hey $99, not bad at all!

Then I see it needs "Kontakt 4.2.4 or higher - full version, not the free Player". NI is now selling Kontakt 5, and that costs $399, of course it's the player and 43GB of samples.

I guess that means if I were to buy Piano in Blue it would cost me about $500?

Yikes! Or are there other options where I don't have to pay for all those other samples I don't want?

Thanks for any thoughts -
by alexis
Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: missing presets

Sorry, no help here... I've got the same issue.

here is the solution http://youtu.be/SsOFMuXyQ28

Here is the answer in writing that worked for me last night for the LE and the PLE, the vid suggests it's the same for MIDI inserts
(Win 7 64-bit computer running Cubase 7.5.20) :

When I started, in the folder User/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 7.5_64/Presets, there was no "Logical Editor" subfolder there.
There was a folder called "Project Logical Editor", but it had only one folder of presets, called: "Visibility".

But in the In Program Files/Steinberg/Cubase 7.5/Presets folder, there were multiple folders of presets, for both editors.

So I copied the whole Logical Editor folder from there to User/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 7.5_64/Presets, and now a whole bunch of presets for the Logical Editor (where previously none did).

I also copied all the subfolders from Program Files/Steinberg/Cubase 7.5/Presets/Project Logical Editor to User/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 7.5_64/Presets/Project Logical Editor, told it I didn't want to replace the only presets that were initially there (Visibility), and now I get a bunch of PLE presets opening up in Cubase too.

Now when I open Cubase 7.5.20, the PLE and LE presets are available.

For Mac: I think the answer is found in this post: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55308&p=366727#p366727

Hope that helps someone!
by alexis
Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic