Search found 455 matches

Return

Re: Cubase Artist 6/7 Comparison (help?)

Hi monsterjazzlicks,

no time limit at all. You can install Cubase and activate your license whenever you want.

Regards
by Luis Dongo
Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They are separate programs. You can leave 6 installed.
J.L.
by jaslan
Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks Jaslan,

i got it now. So its the eLicensor which gets updated. And therefore the Artist 7 software does not replace or borrow from the Artist 6 software.

Paul
It might depend on what upgrade you get - Some download upgrades require the content (HalionSonic SE, Rverence...) of a previousliy installed version 6.
by thinkingcap
Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It might depend on what upgrade you get - Some download upgrades require the content (HalionSonic SE, Rverence...) of a previousliy installed version 6.

Thanks TC,

i am going for the BOXED version in any case. Much prefer having a hard copy for many reasons.

Paul
Then there should not be a problem...
by thinkingcap
Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good luck with your batch of new acquisitions, been on a spending spree I believe ;)
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mixing Headphones (Help ?)

I've been looking at AKG headphones for a good while now, can't really justify the cost but I really want one 8-)
+1 for open back headphones though, my Sennheiser HD515 sound way more natural than any other closed back headphone I've tried.
by Strophoid
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm BIG fan of AKG K702's.... bit more expensive but wonderful! less hyped in the bottom end than some cans, i find this advantageous if i'm wearing them for a while as it helps prevent fatigue... because of their open backed design they're quite similar to listening on mid fields in a lot of ways... a much more open and natural sound field than closed back cans, sounds more like stereo than binaural :D

Don't forget that your new cans will most likely need a fair 'burn in' period too...... mine took about 300hrs of continuous playback before they really settled down... a bit like letting a decent bottle of red wine breathe..... the difference is quite dramatic before and after the burn in... they were quite scratchy and harsh in the upper mids and highs out of the box but after burning in they're smooth as silk!
by matjones
Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mini The Moog

Wow, congrats :)
Enjoy!
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cool! Have fun with the Mini! 8-)

I would love to own one, but I'll have to do with the Arturia Minimoog V (which is also great, btw).
by HornForHire
Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

First congrats on the new ax.

1 - To visually memorize the settings (on the control panel) of your patches so that you can re-create these as and when required.
2 - To be able to turn the dials on the control panel without actually playing the keyboard (ie. being able to hear the sound in your head ).

This reminds me that we would actually write/play 8-16 (what ever it took)
bars of just drums or bass and drums etc into the music just to give the keyboard player
time to 'set-up' his moog for the next sound.

This was early to mid 70's and DISCO was king. (oowe oowe) :)
So we could get away with that. :)

Ah those were the days. Satin pants and platform shoes.
{'-'}
by curteye
Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have NI B4 mkII and it makes me droll just holding down the keys! I happened to pass through a music shop a few weeks ago and they had a full Hammond organ with pedals and a Lesie speaker and it sounded great no doubt. I think the B4 comes close enough though in the studio.

I view it as this: You can't compare a real instrument like Hammond/Leslie or Strat/Marshall to a simulated one, but you can compare a micked up organ+amp or guitar+amp coming through the wall in to the studio monitors to a sim instrument also coming through the studio monitors. And in 2013 it's close enough to say that in the studio it makes no sense to drag the real *flower* around just for the sake of it. If you have some special set up you rely on for whatever reason of course you should use your hardware, but most of the time it's not significantly better.

The sims take no space and you can save presets of hundreds of combinations. Hardware can't. Hardware can WAIL and SCARE SMALL ANIMALS, TICKLE YOUR EARS, ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF and SOUNDS DANGEROUS in the real world. That's their place!!! 8-)

Where were we? Oh, the B4! Great plugin! 8-)
Get on if you can ... Native Instruments discontinued it a few years ago, though!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

[edit]

Same goes for the Mini Moog, of course!
by HowlingUlf
Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Manual Booklet (?)

Seeing as how C7 isn't even finished yet, and in view of the various changes which have been made since first introduced, I wouldn't waste money on a printed manual yet - probably why they never printed one in the first place. Perhaps ther'll be one with 7.x (where x is probably =>5). As it is the PDF is already in need of revision, so think twice before you put out cash to have it printed in hardcopy form!
by BriHar
Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes the links are fine now :)

Yeah that URL should work fine, just stick it inbetween img tags like in my previous post and it should work. 28 pics would be a bit much I agree ;).
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Komplete VSTi (or similar ??)

There are a couple of samplers which have high quality third party libraries.
Kontakt is very popular. The reason why someone probably recommended Komplete is because just buying Kontakt for $400 (unless you get it on sale) doesn't make any sense when you can get Komplete for $500 (which is Kontakt plus several good libraries plus a BUNCH of other very good stuff). Kontakt, Reaktor, and Guitar Rig alone would be worth it... The rest is bonus.
You could even use the free Kontakt Player with some libraries but I think you will find it limiting.
Two others, which I have never used, are the East West Quantum Leap and Vienna Pro. I don't know much about them but they seem highly regarded to me.
HTH
by jaslan
Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am no expert... But I would say that Kontakt by itself (which does include orchestral and jazz instruments), or even Komplete (which gives you some more libraries for Kontakt) is PROBABLY not worthy of being called a fully professional jazz and orchestral package. Maybe in the intermediate range (there are a good range of articulations and adjustable parameters, options, etc.)

What you DO get with Kontakt is a great choice of professional third party libraries (which will cost more).

I do hope that someone who is familiar with East West as well would offer some opinion/advice.

J.L.
by jaslan
Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have and often use Komplete. I forget what version I am on. Only gripes I had was phasing out a few instruments which they moved into kontakt. Session recall no more. Had to print the tracks after loading earlier version for archiving.
by Woodcrest Studio
Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It is a rarity that I would use solely one instrument for a sound. There were times I had used a sole patch and I found the quality good. You have to know though that I am hyper critical of sound. If it sounds artificial in a way I don't like, I will move onto something else, but that being said, I find most sample libraries to sound fake, especially programmed drums. Can't stand programmed drums.

Anyway, I think kontakt is good. A loooooooot of people use it and there is a lot of additional libraries available for it. I think you want it but just need a nudge to pull the trigger. I don't think you will be dissatisfied, I wasn't and I would tell you if I was. Just what I wrote above.
by Woodcrest Studio
Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So am i correct in that you can buy Komplete and then ADD extra NI Libraries to it later down the line ??
If you buy Komplete, you can add libraries to it later (both NI and third party). If you buy Komplete Ultimate, you will get the ENTIRE line of NI libraries for Kontakt AND Reaktor. Of course, the third party stuff is all separate, which is probably where the HIGHEST quality libraries are.

I notice you have HALion Sonic. The Kontakt libraries are similar to Dark Planet, Hyptonic Dance, Triebwerk, etc., in that they are "expansions" to the basic instrument that can be added at any time.
by jaslan
Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So what i am trying to distinguish is that with Komplete 9, do you get EVERYTHING which in is Kontakt 5 ?? Or just a selection ?? i think that there might be all i need in Kontakt 5.
Yes. If you buy Komplete, you will get everything you would get if you bought Kontakt (i.e. the all the factory content) PLUS several more add-on libraries (pianos, Vintage Organs, MM Bass, Retro Machines, Studio Drummer, and others).
by jaslan
Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi monsterjazzlicks,

you are allowed to install it in up to 3 computers, but you can only use it on one at a time, since the Dongle has to be connected the whole time.

Regards
by Luis Dongo
Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you meant Steinberg instead of Sibelius, then yes :)
by Strophoid
Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congrats on the Mini! I've owned an original Model D since 1989.
Got it for a hundred bucks in Youngstown Ohio.
Mostly been sitting in a studio but I did gig with it on and off.
The tuning was always an issue at live events.
(The temp and humidity in clubs can be bad)

I use to use the headphone output to tune it and change
sounds parameters between playing.
You can shut off the main output and still use the
phones output. That little feature was brilliant thinking.
Saved my ass a couple of times right before a lead part
came up all out of tune.

I paid a $100.00 used in 1989, had it serviced once in Chicago at
Midwest Music Menders at a cost of $350.00-$400.00
sometime around 1992. Still going strong today.

The cosmetics are and have always been totally ruined.
The guy I bought it from had painted all the wood black.
Added a piece of wood to the bottom where he drilled a
giant hole to attach a stand. The keys are all crooked and
misaligned. But I like it that way. It looks like the keyboard
Mad Max would have had in "The Road Warrior" if he were a
musician and not a high speed death dealer of the future world.

It would be nice to get it looking like brand new I guess.
I would only do that if I were going to sell it and
that just isn't going to happen.

Congratulations again, you have a new analogue friend for life.
by Rotund
Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That looks amazing, nice flightcase with it too!
Happy with the sound? :D
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah this works fine, I'm on my phone as well so this is a good solution. To embed pics in your post they can be at most 700 pixels wide so if you want that you'll need to resize them manually first. Alternatively you can upload them as attachment to your post, but 4mb is too much, can't remember what the limit is but I imagine it tells you when you try.
Using something like Flickr is fine though.
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, reducing the photo quality is a bad idea, you are better off resizing them to make them smaller. That saves much more space without harming the quality (you just lose detail obviously, but at least colours remain intact) and you don't need huge pictures anyway.
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah sure, it works fine. It's just slightly easier for the reader if you are able to embed them right in the post using img tags, but that's a bit more work for you because they need to be the right resolution. To get them in the post just get a direct link to the image you want to embed and put it in between the img tags, like so:

[img]https://i2.sndcdn.com/avatars-000002284831-y93rbx-t200x200.jpg?3eddc42[/img]

https://i2.sndcdn.com/avatars-000002284831-y93rbx-t200x200.jpg?3eddc42
I got that link by going to my own soundcloud page, rightclicking the image and copying the image url. That works on most websites, but not on flickr so that might not be the right choice as an image host IF you want to embed pictures.

This afternoon when I watched your images I just looked at the flickr album you posted. The other links I didn't try, but I just noticed something went wrong in the formatting, because these links are truncated. If you want to paste a link to an image make sure it's not automatically shortened when pasting it.
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No problem man, I wish I had your gear. Don't forget what you have ;) 8-)
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I checked the pics, it looks awesome! 8-)
by HornForHire
Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fretless Bass VSTi

So would you characterize it as worth the investment?

Also, does it support automation via MIDI CC? I'd like to control aspects of it in real time such as the maximum distance for a glissando vs. hammer on / pull off / two separately plucked notes, etc.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know if this will help but this is from the wbsite:

"Legato mode: you can choose wether playing a legato will trigger Hammer ons, slides, sustains, or simply have no effect.
• The legato distance will define the maximum interval that in which the legato will apply.
• The release Volume: the sound produced when you release a string if a note was going on.
• Cabinet: you can turn the Cabinet simulation on or off.
• EQ: you can edit the Bass and Treble of the parametric EQ.
• The Sensitivity will set the minimum volume for velocity 1 and give you access to all the dynamics that you want.
• Chorus: As this is a fretless bass, we had to add a Chorus module, and you can change the Speed and Depth of it."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

And this:

"698Mb, 858 samples.

around 10 Velocity layers for the sustain.

around 13 Velocities for the release.

Hammer on samples.

Advanced Vibrato effect controlled via modulation wheel.

slides effects.

Harmonics, ghost notes, string hits samples.

Advanced UVI scripting giving you access to a simple yet powerfull interface and advanced features."

I don't know the depth of MIDI control/automation of this instrument but I do think it is very good value.
If you want more information, perhaps contacting the company support will get you sorted, I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Cheers :) ,

Mauri.
by Mauri
Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Manual Booklet (?)

Neither can I, but I woulnd't read a paper manual like that either. In only consult the manual if I am looking for a certain function or need explanation on the application of a function. In that case a searcheable PDF is very convenient, especially if you have enough screen area to have both the manual and Cubase open at the same time.

But if you enjoy reading manuals back to back then yes, I can imagine a printed manual is more convenient. To be honest I did read the entire (printed) manual for my Blofeld, but that's because that's a very broad manual (with humour too) that covers not only the functionality in that synth, but also the general workings behind all of it which is applicable to any other synth as well. More like an education on sound design in general which can't hurt :)
by Strophoid
Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congratulations on you purchase it's great to have the real thing can't wait to hear what you do with it!

Back in day I had - Mini, Arp Odyssey, Clav, Rhodes Suitcase and C3 and Emulator2. The Moog we used for Bass it was incredible instrument and never had an issues with it. I personally loved the sound of the ARP and would love to get another one. Unfortunate the truck was stolen with all that gear in it in Miami Fla...worst day of life at that point :cry:

I am blessed today in having XK3C, B3, Dyno Rhodes and a the E2 which wasn't in truck at time. I just bought a Wurly 200 model (206 that's cut down) that needs refurbishing today. I used one on session yesterday and decided that I won't spend another Day w/o one :)
Wurly has got a hum, needs to be regulated (?) and the top octave sticks when pressing the sustain. SHouldn't be to hard to fix though.

Rock on with that Moog!
Kenny
by kzarider
Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I ended up getting the Kurzweil PC3K8 keyboard, I swore I wasn't going to get another Kurzweil but couldn't pass up the deal I got at the Summer Namm show. I really think it's a great keyboard, very powerful with a steep learning curve...Really easy to set up as control surface for Vienna Ensemble Pro also.

It was very sad (felt like the end of life time lol) but people came out in droves to help us giving us equipment to get back on our feet. It was amazing complete strangers calling/helping even, at that time it made me a different person so as bad as it was I was granted a new look at what it meant to be humane and play it forward.
by kzarider
Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

NATIVE is (and will always be) the way forward and so is something i will always use now and in the future.
Basically, I agree with this. It is a great toolbox of stuff. I don't know what will happen in the future, but I believe the Komplete (particularly Kontakt, Guitar Rig, and Reaktor) will continue to be popular and well supported for a while.
i have learned that i lot of the 3rd Party VSTi's i am very interested in require the FULL (not the FREE) version of Kontakt 5 to be able to play them. In other words, if i can only use 3rd Party VSTi's which utilise the FREE Kontakt player then i will be limited in my choice of plug-ins.
Yes. Think of the Kontakt Player (the free version) like HALion Sonic SE. It will play the library but the editing capabilities are very limited or non-existent. The paid Kontakt is like HALion in that you can fully edit the instrument. They LOOK the same in the GUI but one allows more editing of the instruments.
HTH
J.L.
by jaslan
Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

GUI = Graphical User Interface (The part of the program you see)

Kontakt player and Kontakt LOOK nearly identical, you just can't get to the fancy controls when using Player.

I have VSL libraries and for sample orchestra, it is untouchable IMO. The sheer number, quality and unique articulation behaviors is staggering. It comes with a complexity cost however. Very expensive. Very complicated. But, when you get your head wrapped around their player which they call "Instrument", it is VERY VERY powerful. You can probably accomplish the same things in the scripting engine of Kontakt. But, no way do you have the same level of control with the out of the box LASS for example. Just my 2cents.

Also, to really use their products effectively you need to upgrade to the Pro player. This is back to them providing a FREE general sample playback engine, or an advanced PAY version. A lot of the larger sample library manufacturers are going to their own sample player and usually have a FREE and PAY version of that play back engine.

I have some of the SAMs free stuff from ages ago, and I converted from Garritan to VSL. All of those products are good. They all come with pros/cons. It's hard to say which ones would bug you, or that you couldn't live without. I chose the expense/complexity finally. Now that I have it rolling, I don't regret it for a second.
by JMCecil
Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have Komplete 8 and plan to upgrade to komplete 9 ultimate ...soon. Their library of sounds is quite extensive and after a year I am still discovering more sounds that I have yet to try out. Within Kontakt factory librabry they have their sounds sorted as Band. choir, orchestral, world, synth, vintage and urban beats plus in the orchestral they have their legacy instruments in there as well. Then there are the add on libraries such as Abbey road drums, Berlin Concert piano ETC you can chose not to install those libraries. Personally I think that Komplete Ultimate 9 is probably the best bang for anyone's buck, huge sample librbary, VTI synths FM8. Massive, Absynth, guitar rig plus the plug effects plug packages of Solid Mix, EQ and Comp and the Classic reverbs bundle.. there is a lot there.

I'm not sure what differences Komplete 9 vs Komplete 9 ultimate are for samples, but regardless of what you get you are probably going to have more than you need and will either will find the jazz stuff meets your needs or leaves you wanting just a bit more which would mean looking for a specific sample library that might cost has much as Komplete does. You can buy specific add ons indiviaully and install them as well.
by Newman50
Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

monsterjazzlicks wrote:... i would much rather have TEN sounds that i use all the time rather than TEN THOUSAND that i seldom use.

A wise statement. I certainly commend you for taking the time to carefully research your decision. Either way you decide, I hope it works out greatly for you.
J.L.
by jaslan
Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think i would've done the same thing in your situation. Buying instruments in quantities like Komplete doesn't work for me. It takes time to learn an instrument, and if you get 20 at once there is no way you can use them all to their full potential.
by Strophoid
Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

But obviously you need Artist 6 in the first place to upgrade (otherwise you would have to buy Artist 7 from scratch).
Paul
Actually, the only thing you need in order to upgrade is the LICENSE. You don't even need to have Cubase 6 installed during the upgrade. Your Cubase 6 license will be replaced with a C7 license (which will run prior versions of Cubase). But the programs themselves are basicallly untouched and irrelevant in the upgrade process.
by jaslan
Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It doesn't matter, they can live together just fine but they don't need eachother. I suggest you keep 6 until you are sure the conversion is complete and all your old projects open fine in your new Cubase.
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What about a plug-in on the master output that simulates the 'room crosstalk' that's absent iwhen monitoring on headphones? Is that important nowadays??

Something like this perhaps ....

http://www.g-sonique.com/msx5headphonemonitoring.html
by John Purser
Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've been using sennheiser for 15 years and never looked back. I currently have the HD595 and I could wear them all day and night (open Back) with no ear fatigue. The bass response is incredible on them, I have tried the 600 series and wow!!! is all i can say. I bet you could find a great set used if shop on ebay or wherever you can find used equipment via trade papers/internet etc. I bought newest set used off ebay for ~$200 USD about 4 years ago. The set I had prior last at least 6 years.

I have other closed backed but I can't mix with those :(
Kenny
by kzarider
Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If the artist 7 license shows on your USB elicenser then it's fine. The soft licenser is only used for LE/AI/Elements versions of Cubase so if it's empty that's fine.
I'm not at my DAW now, but I guess there should be a shortcut to Cubase on your desktop/in your start menu now. It might be called Cubase 7 instead of Cubase Artist 7.

Else look for it in the folder where you installed Cubase to, it should be there. ;)
by Strophoid
Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting, seems like it overwrote at least some of your Cubase 7 trial. That's not strange because Cubase 7 and Cubase artist 7 are exactly the same, it's the license that determines which features are available and which aren't.

The question is, does it work well? Do you have all the presets for plugins for example? If everything is fine, I guess you could just go with it. If you want to be sure, you could also uninstall Cubase 7 completely (both artist and the trial), then pop the disc back in and install Cubase artist 7 again. No need to do the license activation etc again, that's all done and stored on the USB key. As long as the latest version of the eLCC is installed you can uninstall/reinstall Cubase whenever you like.
by Strophoid
Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To be honest I'm not sure what I expected, in fact if you had the cubase 7 trial you didn't even need to install cubase artist 7, just adding the license to your USB key would allow you to use that install as Cubase artist 7.

Either way, uninstalling cubase 7 shouldn't harm cubase 6 at all.
I'm not entirely sure what the most efficient method is for getting all your plugins in Cubase 7. For some it probably works if you just copy the .dll files from the VST plugins folder for Cubase 6 to the Cubase 7 folder. I don't actually know how to go about VST3 plugins, I doubt you need to install them again but I don't know how to have them show up. Someone else maybe?
by Strophoid
Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ok good, that sounds better :).
As for the VST's, I'm not sure like I said. VST2 plugins you can simply copy the .dll files over from your cubase 6 folder, vst3 I don't know about.
by Strophoid
Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I checked the pics, it looks awesome! 8-)

Thanks very much MFH. Nice to hear you appreciate the world of Moog !! :mrgreen:
Absolutely! I've been a Moog fan since the first time I heard it.
I own a Moog Satellite (which isn't working properly and actualy isn't a real Moog anyway), but I'd love to own a real Mini one day...
by HornForHire
Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I got a copy of Wendy Carlos' Secrets of Synthesis which is not bad, also have an old vinyl copy of the Nonesuch Guide to Electronic Music, which includes a great booklet.
Never seen this one by Pappin but it looks very interesting - provided it's not too simplistic. ;)
by BriHar
Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

AKG K 701 are my choice for mixing. http://eu.akg.com/akg-product-detail-eu/k-701.html

I have also Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and Sennheiser HD 650, but AKG K 701 sound best to my ear, and are by far most comfortable on my head. They are open model and higher quality build than DT770 or HD650. Price is also quite fine, cca 180eur afaik.
by sonicstate
Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And, yes, I also use crossfed plugin while mixing on AKG K 701 phones. I use Redlime Monitor, http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/ . Without such plugin mixing on headphones is impossible for me, balance is just all wrong without it. With plugin it is actually possible to balance instruments initially quite well. Of course you need to check it on several monitors later on, as usual. But with crossfed plugin you can get quite close. And sound is usually much better over headphones in the situation of small home studios.
by sonicstate
Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I preferred the AKG K601 (Open) for mixing over the 701s (I think they were just the preceding serie), but definitely AKG K271MkII (Closed) for tracking.
by BriHar
Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nice, sorry I forgot to mention you had to redo all your settings and preferences, but you found that out yourself ;).
Let me know how you get your plugins available when you figured it out!
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I use AKG K 240 MK II and AKG K 271 MK II. But I also like the Yamaha RH 5-ma (and this one is very cheap).
by Makumbaria
Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting. Halion Sonic SE is the basic version that comes with Cubase artist, Halion Sonic is the full product.
If that's the one you get in Cubase I guess it's working ;)
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I assume they are separate as I think you are supposed to be able to use Halion Sonic in other DAWs too, which isn't the case for Halion Sonic SE.
If you have all the content for Halion Sonic in Cubase I woulnd't bother reinstalling.
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

dll stands for dynamic link library. It's a Microsoft invention I believe.
A .dll file is basically a program in itself, but without the framework required to run it. In this case the Cubase VST host is the framework that you use to run the .dll files.
by Strophoid
Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stars and Ratings?

It's a bit worthless. The amount of stars is the amount of thanks that have been given to a poster in that topic, in relation to the highest amount of thanks a post has ever given. So it doesn't actually show much at all, because the highest thanked post is at 18 thanks at the time of writing. check the thanks toplist .
by Strophoid
Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Stars and Ratings?

I must have missed the fine print along the line, so....

What are the Stars and Ratings located in the Thread Title block all about? (on the forum)
by JSW
Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think you may be confusing HALion Sonic 2 with HALion Sonic SE 2.
by jaslan
Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

According to the description, HSSE 2 will have some new sounds. My GUESS is that those will also work in HALion Sonic 2 (and HALion 5, for that matter). I believe this because, in the previous versions, the HSSE libraries also loaded in HALion Sonic and HALion.
by jaslan
Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The latter... HALion Sonic 2 will replace HALion Sonic (ver. 1). As to the new folder of samples, I would say that you will have a new "library" called something like "HALion Sonic SE 2 content" (but I am speculating here).
HTH
J.L.
by jaslan
Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

HalionSonic SE is already included in Cubase artist 7.0...
by thinkingcap
Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
thinkingcap wrote:HalionSonic SE is already included in Cubase artist 7.0...

Sorry, what actually i meant was :-

Does HALion Sonic 2 come for FREE with the (free) update from Cubase Artist 7 to Artist 7.5 ??

No. HalionSonic SE 2 comes with 7.5
by thinkingcap
Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Paul,
When 7.5 comes out and you get your free update, you are going to get HALion Sonic SE 2 with it for free....
by jaslan
Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You won't get HALion Sonic 2 for free with Cubase Artist 7.5 free update.
You will get HALion Sonic SE 2 for free with Cubase Artist 7.5 free update.
So if you have HALion Sonic (ver. 1), and want HALion 5, you would need to update from HALion Sonic (ver. 1). I am seeing it as $200 US (probably 182 GBP for you).
by jaslan
Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cubase Artist and HALion 5 will be separate programs and separate licenses. They are independent of each other. Also, HALion Sonic is a separate, independent program from Cubase and HALion. HALion Sonic SE (ver. 1 or 2) is integrated into Cubase and is NOT a separate program.
by jaslan
Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It will probably overwrite, 6.5 overwrote 6 in my case anyway.
by Strophoid
Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: got my order in for 7.5

Seeing as how there's still no printed manual, I'll probably go for the download this time. ;)
by BriHar
Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i have tried about 20 times tonight to Update from Artist 7 to 7.5 (via the Steinberg site page) but it just won't complete successfully ?? It gets as far as downloading about and 15% then fails.

Are there any reported issues does anyone know please ??

Ta,

Paul
I have seen many reports of problems with the downloading or it just being slow. It seems to me like the server is just very busy. The only thing I can recommend is to keep trying.
by jaslan
Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Man that download is slooooow

Yes, I don't get why Steinberg (a big company) can't simply rent some cloud servers for the few days after a big release. :cry:

I mean, Windows Azure is not actually really expensive...
by TheNavigator
Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Man that download is slooooow

Grabbed the 7.5 update earlier, two different downloads available. Started with the smallest one, the actual Cubase download and man, i have download speeds that vary between 30 and 70 kBps, started downloading the HSSE 2 update and that was done within an hour and a half, and that thing is more than twice the size.. I'm having timeouts all the time and have had to restart the download as the timer ran out..
Anyone else experiencing this? Will it smooth out?

Regards
David-"Can't wait to get my hands on this"-L
by David L
Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Man that download is slooooow

Price of being on the bleeding edge :lol:

I am going to wait until next week or so.
by NorthWood MediaWorks
Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

tomorrow will be 11/12/13 so............

Just to warn you geek types... tomorrow is 11/12/13

you have a choice of 08:09:10 or 14:15:16 to celebrate :lol: ;)
by G-string
Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Looking For a Great Sounding Hammond B3/Leslie Speaker V

I should point out the B4 II was discontinued by NI in late 2009. It was a 32 bit Standalone/Plug-in package. A lot of users hoped NI would continue its development into a 64 bit version...but it was not to be.
by Weasel
Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Looking For a Great Sounding Hammond B3/Leslie Speaker V

Thanks folks for the input here...

I have been testing out the demo version of the VB3 software this weekend. It really does look and sound like a copy job of the ORGANized Trio 31 freeware I was using. VB3 is version 1.4 versus 1.0 for the latter and so far it seems to be working pretty good and not crashing CB7. Since there are no refunds I will do as the GSi website for the VB3 software suggests and test it thoroughly for a few weeks prior to spending the 50 euros (approx. $73 usd) for the full version.
by Prock
Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have been using DT770 Pro's for many years. They work for me very well for both tracking and mixing.
People who visit my studio to either record or just hang are always blown away by them.
by Brad Mize
Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ha Ha
He's over 30!
by BriHar
Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BriHar wrote:Ha Ha
He's over 30!

80 is the new 60, so
30 is the new 10!

:lol:
by Makumbaria
Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Grado. Grado. Grado. ;)

SR80s are GREAT open headphones for £100 - if you want to you can spend £4000 on Grados (which is an established US family business). If you insist on using headphones for mixing, open headphones are the only way to go for eq'ing, mixing and stereo field appraisal and also critical listening.

They can be useful in the early stage of mastering. For final mastering there is no replacement for quality near-field monitors. (And golden ears ;) )

Recording vocals or acoustic instruments (tracking) requires the performer to wear "closed" headphones if re-recording the cue/backing track - via headphone "bleed" - is to be avoided.

I hope this helps :)
by thermionic
Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The headphones in question are only for doing work while travelling. What I mean is they will be used while travelling on trains (Switzerland here you know), hence the decision for closed back to help isolate. It probably won't be so much actual mixing (which he primarily does here in my studio in a properly configured monitoring environment) but rather for evaluation and decision making etc while en route.
There are many headphones which would fit the bill in this case, primary consideration being they should not be too bassy which so many headphones are.
by BriHar
Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, thanks a lot. Recording this scenario is something i would like to learn and do, but my 1 x bedroom flat is not large enough to cater for this.

Don't let that hinder you! It simply means you'll have to take extra care in adding in ambience in the mix. Some find that if you can't get a decent room sound, best to deaden it altogether and create a virtual room (reverb, delay etc.) in the post. Vocal booths are typical examples of this philosophy in practice.
by BriHar
Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monitoring the Yamaha HS7's

From what I know, the treble and bass pots are generally used for room correction. If you feel that your room is reflecting some frequencies then adjusting the pots may help to achieve a neutral sound.
by mroekalea
Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes that's it.

You could read-up on things as room acoustics, I've done it, but haven't the possibilities to overhaul my room.

for example:

http://www.bksv.com/applications/roomacoustics/what-is-room-acoustics

8-)
by mroekalea
Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

a link to "decoupling".
http://www.consumerelectronicsnet.com/article/Decouple-Your-Speakers-33664

I have one ~30cmx30cmx5cm recycled foam rubber pad (kinda soft but firm) under each monitor on DIY stands on the floor.
It's just scrap material used for shock prevention for packaging fragile and expensive equipment.
I took it out of the waste bin, swept it in some black cloth and it's perfect.
by HowlingUlf
Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The HD25-1/II weren't available so I got a pair of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros - a little more expensive, but good sound.

Thanks, so you mean record the Vocal/Guitar as DRY as possible (but giving the artiste any FX they desire just for the purpose of the recoding in their headphones), and then add the 'true' FX in the Post recording.

That's it. ;)
by BriHar
Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

...And if you're interested in profiling the room you intend to record and mix in, this free software tool might help:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/
by BriHar
Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi again,

I bought a new laptop another for work last week and I have been installing some of my software (so that I have the likes of Sibelius and Cubase on 2 x PC's).

I keep trying to update the 'grace period' Artist 7 to Artist 7.5 but it just wont download (even though I am definitely elegible for it and have it successfully installed on my initial PC for the past couple of weeks.

Are you only allowed to take advantage of the 'grace period' on 1 x PC ??

Thanks a lot,

Paul
Since the license is in the dongle, you update it once, and it is then valid for all installations that use this dongle - really simple scheme...
by thinkingcap
Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi-OX (software ?)

That software hasn't been updated for quite some time (2010 I believe). It might very well run in compatibility mode though.
There is a MIDI monitor included with Cubase (see midi effects in the plugin reference pdf) which might suffice for your needs instead.
by BriHar
Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MIDI-Ox is good for verifying your MIDI setup, but - in my opinion - not much more than that. I have had it installed since at least 2007 but never fire it up except for situations like this.

If you are looking to control your MIDI devices in a live setting, use Catabile Performer (Windows) or Mainstage (iOS) instead.
by foolomon
Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah I would because it would annoy me to no end if I had an issue getting my MIDI stuff working on stage and didn't have it to help diagnose.

I'm a Windows person so Cantabile Performer is what I use. I love it. It can do anything you need it to do including host VSTs that you can trigger via your MIDI devices, which is particularly useful for soft synths. I used it for splitting my keyboards into multiple ranges, assigning samples that would be triggered, and controlling the routing of MIDI messages (i.e. my top keyboard would be used to play a particular patch on a specific MIDI channel on my lower keyboard, or my rack mounted synth, etc.).

It's awesome enough that I stopped enhancing the software that I wrote to do 90% of that since it is easier to use and had more capabilities than my solution did.
by foolomon
Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

free course "Critical listening for studio production"

I thought some of you might be interested in this free online course. It was due to start today, but I just received an email from them confirming that they moved the start date to tomorrow (14/1/14).

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/critical-listening-for-studio-production
by pharmacist
Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Questionair - January 2014

I filled it out too. I agree with Rommelaar, I much prefer to own the product and to be able to sell my license. There's more to the survey than that too. Here's a link: http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeven ... -2666.html
by SteveInChicago
Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creating a CD

Hello Phil,

well, it depends if you want to burn some CD (regular CD-WAV format) just for you and your friends or if you want to get it published following the Red Book CD Standard.

If you wnat to just burn some CDs, export the tracks as regular WAV in 16 Bit stereo / 44.100 Hertz and use a burning tool that allows you putting them in the wanted order.

If you want to do that like a prof, I would advise you to look up a studio that would do that for you. That will cost you some money but if you are lucky, they might let you assist the mastering process and how to comply with the Red Book CD Standard. Then you would have some more return on your investment and try it yourself next time. Be prepared to assist up to two days. Just google "Red Book CD Standard" and have a look in to how complex that is. First you need some mastering tool and even if you had one, you have to learn how to use them. This is still something where there is no one-click automation magic button available.

I know that some people claim they were mastering with Cubase - which theoretically should be possible - but you must be a very good skilled sound engineer to go that way and have some very good mastering plug ins.

Good luck with it (no sarcasm) and let me know the outcome.

Regards

Zibin
by zibin888
Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Halion Symphonic Orchestra

Hi, so I got this newsletter from Steinberg about Valentine's day Sale, and would like to know more specs about Halion Symphonic Orchestra, but I don't seem to find it anywhere on the site! If I follow the link from Steinberg's mail, it directs me right to the shopping cart page, and there's no any info on the product... Is it discontinued or what?
by sasha-che
Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Halion Symphonic Orchestra

Hi,

you get all details about the differences between HALion, HALion Sonic and HALion Sonic SE here:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/halion_and_halion_sonic/line_up.html
by Matthias Quellmann
Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Grand Trap

Hi groovechild,

only the Grand 3 (full version) has a standalone version included.

The Grand 3 SE is only a VST- Plug in.
by Marcus
Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Halion Symphonic Orchestra

I just wanted to double check with anyone if the HSO would be compatible with my set up please ?? I have Cubase Artist 7.5, HALion Sonic SE and HALion Sonic. I originally started with Artist 6, then paid to upgrade to Artist 7, and then 3 x months ago upgraded (for free/grace) to Artist 7.5.

Would the HSO be compatible and also (for those of you who currently own it) does it offer better quality samples than the VST library I currently have (Sonic and Sonic SE) please ??

I've purchased HSO yesterday (and also Halion Sonic -- until yesterday I didn't realize Halion Sonic and Halion Sonic SE are different things). HSO is basically a set of sounds for HS/HSE, it appears inside HS interface as an additional soundset. I'm sure it is fully compatible with your setup. It would be compatible even if you only had HSE, but in this case you could only use it inside Cubase. HS works under other hosts too. Works for me in Logic Pro.

As for HSO audio demos, I had to search for them on youtube... It's ridiculous that this kind of info isn't easy to find on Steinberg's site. HSO is orchestra-oriented library, so it's not just better samples than you already have in HS/HSE, they are more detailed - instruments have different articulations and sometimes different samples of same articulation.
by sasha-che
Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A Bit Of Help Needed Please (thanks !)

Go to your personel profile area (Click on your user Name above). Then click on overview - your threads. There you will have the list of all the threads you have posted something for.
by Svengali
Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A Bit Of Help Needed Please (thanks !)

Maybe try the other view posts (when logged in) at the top of this page, next to messages.

And to be extra helpful, two topics concerning Halion from you ;)
Komplete VSTi (or similar ??)
Artist 6 (HALion advice please)

Good luck with the leg!
by Niles
Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic