Search found 23 matches

Return

Re: Cubase 7 Wavelab 8 Link Broken ?

OS? If e.g. Windows 7 x64, then in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\Audio Export Post Process Scripts" you should see a file called "OpenInWaveLab8x64.aepp" which I assume gets installed alongside WaveLab 8. If this is present, Cubase will detect it as a post-export option.
by MrSoundman
Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recording Acoustic Guitar parts in C7

If I want to capture the feel of a tune on acoustic guitar I record it as it is ... not against a click track or anything else, the acoustic recording becomes the "master" as far as timing is concerned. If that's not good enough then accept reality -- it's simply not good enough, and you need to practice more. Nevertheless it is difficult to do everything perfectly on a single take, and what you might get away with live is often not acceptable on a recording.

Kwackman's suggestion above is a good workflow, but investigate "Working with Lanes" in the manual; I would suggest playing the piece through in several takes, and then using Lanes to comp the final track, rather than section by section, but you'll have to figure out something to use as a timing reference. As you're both performing and engineering the recording, this will actually be easier and more effective than if you were trying to direct a musician. It takes a little time to master, but it's well worth it.
by MrSoundman
Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "POLL" Pay for 7.5 on the way for christmas

Should the question not be "How much would you be willing to pay for a Cubase 7.5 update, if anything?"
by MrSoundman
Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi program change issue

There's probably a Program Change embedded in the MIDI files you're trying to import. You can use the List Editor to find these and delete them, but depending on your Cubase version, you may have the Logical Editor or Logical Presets (MIDI->Logical Presets->standard set 2->del patch changes).
by MrSoundman
Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chord Track

I would approach this slightly differently -- create a new MIDI track, set it to follow the Chord Track (Live Transform), and record your MIDI, and repeat for each additional voicing required. The MIDI input will be transformed to either the scale or chord events, and that way you can concentrate on phrasing and emphasis without worrying about "wrong" notes. You end up with harmony parts on separate MIDI tracks, but it may still need some editing to eliminate doubles etc.

If I understand correctly, the OP just wants to add MIDI harmony parts to an already-recorded MIDI melody line, with the harmony lines on separate MIDI tracks. In that case I would probably use a combination of the Chorder MIDI effect (possibly creating or modifying an existing preset) to generate the harmony and the Logical Editor to split the result onto separate tracks.

Another possibility would be to use MIDI sends, with the Chorder plugin as an insert. The main problem there is that it is not possible to select a MIDI track as the destination of the send, but it would work by looping a physical MIDI output back to the input, and recording that.

Finally, using the physical loop method above, you could play the existing MIDI track out and record it back in, but with the input track set to follow the Chord Track as above.

Yes I'd imagine it should be easier, and maybe I'm missing something here, but I suppose this is more in the realm of algorithmic composition, and there are other tools out there for that.
by MrSoundman
Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: cubase 7.5 - Some MIDI Controllers are getting filtered

sasha1961 wrote:Quick Control is enabled by default
I have not found this to be the case (following your repro above), but well spotted! I was not aware of this behaviour in conjunction with Quick Controls.
by MrSoundman
Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restoring very old records

I suppose I could RTFM At the risk of appearing flippant, it is actually the best and definitive source of information .... but the key concept is this, from page 226 of the Elements manual:

Rendering Files
PROCEDURE
1.In the Master Section, make your settings.
2.On the bottom of the Master Section, click the Render button.
3.In the Render dialog, make your rendering settings.
4.When you have set up the rendering process, click OK.
RESULT
The file is rendered.

Assuming you have all the files you want to process already recorded, and you want to apply the same process to all of them, load the first one, select your plugins, get it sounding how you like it (this is step 1 above), then save your settings (per plugin*) and render. The "render" process is the part that, for a newcomer, is not at all obvious ... it's not like in Word, where you save the file; you can to that too, but to have the plugins in the master section actually change the original, it's "rendered" into a new file -- as fast as your computer can do it, as opposed to realtime.

Hope this helps!

*Note: I can't remember if Elements has an option to save the entire master section and all settings -- I have Elements on a laptop, I'll load it up later and check.

[EDIT] Yes, you can save and load master section presets in Elements as well, so basically all you have to do is set up your ideal processing chain, save a master section preset, and at the start of each session (assuming you won't be processing 2000 albums in one go!) load up that master section preset, load each file in turn and hit Render.
by MrSoundman
Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wavelab 8.0.3 and Magneto II

There's no "feature request" section in the forum for WaveLab, but PG (the developer) monitors these posts so I'm sure it has already been noted!
by MrSoundman
Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Opening XG MIDI files with Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi

Check in Preferences under MIDI/MIDI File/Import Options/Destination that it is set to "MIDI Tracks" and that "Auto-dissolve Format 0" is selected, that should load into individual tracks. XG files will have the correct Program Change embedded in each track. Set the output of each track to your VSTi.

Pity you don't still have the DB50XG .... it can be adapted to be an external MIDI expander with circuits like this . It's also possible to fit into the box of the Terratec DMX 6-Fire, an older PCI soundcard and the built-in synth in the Axon AX 100 is actually on a Waveblaster connector, so it's just a matter of exchanging it for a DB50XG.

I hadn't come across the S-YXG50 before, but I'd say it's pretty old software and I'm assuming it's only 32-bit, so I wouldn't care to test its stability on Windows 7 or 8 64-bit.
by MrSoundman
Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase iC Pro for Android available now!

The Nexus 7 has a screen size of about 7". Up to about 8" the smartphone version is displayed Surely it would make more sense if this was determined by screen resolution, and not physical size? The Nexus 7 2013 has a resolution of 1920x1200, yet there is only the smartphone display? Another way to look at it is, how many people have 7" smartphones, seriously?

This is a show-stopper for me. Can an option be added to force tablet display at least?
by MrSoundman
Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dongle Durability

Perhaps off-topic, but here I am poking my idea again: Steinberg should make a small USB device that would combine eLicenser, storage and audio interface. This today is not a major technological problem. It would enable taking Cubase from the studio, and provide a basic version of Cubase that would allow location recording together with high-quality audio monitoring.
by MrSoundman
Sun May 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dongle Durability

If you're using a desktop, you can get PCIe USB cards that have an internal USB connector, put the Steinberg Key into that, job sorted. For laptops it's more difficult, and I think it's something Steinberg really need to address seeing as almost everybody uses laptops these days, even if only as a second computer. I managed to put a spare Steinberg Key inside a netbook a few years ago, but it wasn't easy and required disassembly of both the key and the netbook, as well as some soldering. I wouldn't recommend it.
by MrSoundman
Thu May 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 Elements update to Artist 7..?

This is something I might be interested in also -- I have an Elements license that I've moved to a spare USB eLicenser, and I might consider upgrading it to Artist at some point, but I don't want another USB eLicenser.
by MrSoundman
Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where do you guys stand on Sample Rate (Khz)

Fetishizing about things like sample rates can provide a good excuse for lack of ability or creativity.
by MrSoundman
Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where do you guys stand on Sample Rate (Khz)

Just to put this in context: most gigging musicians I know have severely damaged hearing, and I suspect most of them can't hear a thing above 10-12kHz, certainly those who are now in their 40s and older, who've been gigging for years beside a drummer without wearing ear protection. This fact doesn't stop them from making great music that sounds fantastic. For example, I find that most great electric guitar sounds can endure a steep cut above 5kHz without any loss in perceptible quality (and with younger guitarists: with a noticeable improvement !).

Just saying .... if the music doesn't sound so good, perhaps the first place to start looking might not be in the area of Nyquist's theorem, sampling rate, or D/A converters.

Anyway, back on topic: I use 44.1kHz/24-bit as a default, or 48kHz/24-bit if I know it's going to video.
by MrSoundman
Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Simplify hardware and workflow with Elements 8

WaveLab Elements 8 is very light on CPU so in order to have a supported platform, just make sure you get at least a minimum spec laptop as detailed on the product page . A bigger concern would be obtaining a quality headphone output, as this is not always a given in a laptop. I use an ESI Dr DAC Nano and I'm very happy with it, driving a variety of low (~35R) impedance headphones, but you've got to try out the laptop as some have very good audio chips these days, and you can always upgrade later. You don't need anything special for WaveLab, the standard drivers are fine and you don't need low audio latency for editing.

I use WL even on a netbook but do note that some plugins don't work then because the CPU doesn't have the required features, so stick with the recommendation of at least a dual core CPU and you should be fine; I've only ever used Intel CPUs.
by MrSoundman
Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Simplify hardware and workflow with Elements 8

Thanks for reminding me about the plugins and the CPU they need Some time ago I asked this question about the plugins in WaveLab Elements 8:
Some WaveLab Elements 8 plugins not usable on old laptop?
I think you should be OK with any dual core CPU though, but we didn't get a definitive answer as to why some plugins were available in the Cubase plugin set but not in the WaveLab plugin set.
by MrSoundman
Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Quick Question regard Wavelab and Wavelab Elements

Two big things you should be mindful of:

1. The jump from 6 to 7 (and 8) is huge in terms of the GUI ... it's almost a different application, so be prepared to spend a lot of time scratching your head (and hair pulling!). Most things are similar but there are some new concepts to get your head around which can be frustrating for a while. Most of the kerfuffle about this has died down in the meantime, but personally I think the new GUI is well worth any initial frustration -- and I'm still learning! PG is very responsive to user concerns and is here on the forum most days, 8.5 is a great improvement on the initial 7 release and getting better with each update.

2. WaveLab Elements 8 has one potentially serious limitation for radio/dialogue work: the montage is limited to 3 tracks (stereo or mono). However, as you say you only need 2-3 stereo tracks, you should be OK. Even if you did occasionally need more, you might be able to get around this by bouncing to intermediate tracks.

Other issues that may influence your decision:

-- You can run WLE8 without a hardware dongle, which might be useful seeing as you're going to be using a laptop. You can later transfer the license to a hardware dongle and install the application on as many computers as you wish, but it will only run on the computer with the dongle. You can't, however, go the other way and transfer a dongle license to a "soft" eLicenser.

-- You can't "cross-grade" or "down-grade" from your existing WL6 to WLE8 ... you would basically have to buy WLE8 as well. Against this background, you might want to consider the upgrade from WL6 to WL8 (full version).

-- I agree with the "yucky Windows 8.1" bit .... I have both WL8.5 on Windows 7x64 and WLE8 on a laptop running Windows 8.1. What I can say is that it works flawlessly on Windows 8.1 (which I still hate) so at least the WL6 incompatibility issue goes away. You might however want to try the following: copy the WaveLab 6 folder from your old computer to the laptop, download and install the latest update for the eLicenser, plug in your dongle and try running the WaveLab 6 exe! Completely unsupported, but it just might work .... I believe there's someone on the forum here who does this on Windows 7. It will require that you run it as Administrator, but it may be one possible zero-cost option in your case. ( Sorry Steinberg, I'll get me coat ..... )

Finally, WaveLab Elements 8 is one of the best value options out there in terms of what you can achieve with it, and I would have no hesitancy recommending it, if you decide to go that route. I still somehow think that you would be well advised to retain your investment in WL6 by upgrading to the full version of WL8, because for relatively little money you get a whole lot more, even if you don't initially make use of all the features.
by MrSoundman
Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Quick Question regard Wavelab and Wavelab Elements

The laptop I bought is this one... Will it manage WL ok (being in mind my light use of the features)
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Lenovo_G510_4th_Gen_Core_i7_8GB_1TB_Windows_8.1_Laptop_in_Black__59406131/version.asp
I think you should have no problems with that spec. I have used WaveLab even on an Atom netbook for basic editing without any problem.
by MrSoundman
Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audio files missing when a song is moved to another comp

With Cubase it pays to be very careful where files are created. If your focus is on audio (as opposed to MIDI and Instrument Tracks) then you really need to understand the Audio Pool (Ctrl-P) ... but it's all in the manual, even the short "Getting Started" PDF.

When transferring files between computers, if you've maintained a proper folder structure then it shouldn't be a problem, but it is still very easy to "drop" files outside of the project folder, which are then referenced in the project but not contained within the folder itself. One way around this is to use the "Backup Project ..." function in the File menu -- this allows you to specify a completely new folder, into which will be copied all the bits required by the project. You can then safely copy this new folder to another computer safe in the knowledge that it will work.
by MrSoundman
Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are 32 bit plugins supported in 64 bit WaveLab 8?

mc_peko wrote:Is there a solution?
Install the 32-bit version of WaveLab -- it works perfectly on Windows 7 64-bit.
by MrSoundman
Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are 32 bit plugins supported in 64 bit WaveLab 8?

1176LN wrote:I couldn't get my Powercore to work in Wavelab 8 on Mac
I don't know about Mac, but isn't there some way to run an application in 32-bit mode?
by MrSoundman
Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic