Search found 98 matches

Return

Studio pics!

I know Gearslutz is full of these topics, but I thought it'd be fun to see the studios of the forum regulars.
I completed my new desk build just a few days ago, so I'll happily start :)
Would be cool to see some pics from Steinberg as well!!

These are pics from my phone so the quality isn't ideal, but you get the idea. Gearlist is in my sig.
2013-09-10 14.03.27.jpg
2013-09-10 13.59.51.jpg

Currently shopping around for a big 2nd hand monitor to put next to the laptop for more screen area.
by Strophoid
Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase Artist 6/7 Comparison (help?)

Good luck with your batch of new acquisitions, been on a spending spree I believe ;)
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mixing Headphones (Help ?)

I've been looking at AKG headphones for a good while now, can't really justify the cost but I really want one 8-)
+1 for open back headphones though, my Sennheiser HD515 sound way more natural than any other closed back headphone I've tried.
by Strophoid
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mini The Moog

Wow, congrats :)
Enjoy!
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Working with dual monitors

Either always on top so you can drag stuff out of the Cubase window, or stretch the main Cubase window across both monitors first.
by Strophoid
Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: External Effects-Routing-Newb

If you set it up right there shouldn't be feedback. I would create a group track, use sends on your 4 original tracks to create a mix to send to your reverb. Route the output of the group track to the reverb and record that to a new track.

It depends on your hardware effect how you set this up. For a reverb, ideally you'd want it to output 100% wet, with no original signal. That way you can use your original 4 tracks + the separately recorded reverb track. If your reverb outputs both the reverb and the original signal, then you'll have to ditch the 4 original tracks after recording your outboard effect, as the output from the reverb will be your final track. If the latter, latency is of no concern because everything is delayed equally. If the former, you might experience some latency which you can easily fix by moving the recorded reverb back a bit in time. record a test signal with a clear transient so you can clearly see what latency you're looking at.
by Strophoid
Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is side-chaining?

Side chain allows you to use an effect on 1 track while having another track control the effect.
For instance a compressor:
Normally, a compressor would take a signal at its input, and if that signal exceeds a certain limit (the threshold) it will apply gain reduction. When using a sidechain, you can apply the gain reduction to a track not because of the signal levels of that track, but of another track. So if you have a pad sound going into the compressor and a drumtrack going into the sidechain, you get gain reduction on the pad sound whenever a drumsound plays.

In short you open up the detection part of an effect to another signal than the one you're processing.
by Strophoid
Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Newbee to Cubase

It appears most problems are with audio interface drivers. Check if someone somewhere has tried your MOTU interface on Maverick already.
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes the links are fine now :)

Yeah that URL should work fine, just stick it inbetween img tags like in my previous post and it should work. 28 pics would be a bit much I agree ;).
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recommended laptop models

I've got the 8530 and its onboard firewire works just fine.
by Strophoid
Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you meant Steinberg instead of Sibelius, then yes :)
by Strophoid
Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If it was your money?

Yet I don't own either and I enjoy myself ;)
I'm sure they're great products, but you don't NEED them. Get an instrument (software or hardware) and learn to play it untill you know exactly what it can and can't do, and only then buy something else that complements what you already have. That's my advice ;)
by Strophoid
Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That looks amazing, nice flightcase with it too!
Happy with the sound? :D
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah this works fine, I'm on my phone as well so this is a good solution. To embed pics in your post they can be at most 700 pixels wide so if you want that you'll need to resize them manually first. Alternatively you can upload them as attachment to your post, but 4mb is too much, can't remember what the limit is but I imagine it tells you when you try.
Using something like Flickr is fine though.
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, reducing the photo quality is a bad idea, you are better off resizing them to make them smaller. That saves much more space without harming the quality (you just lose detail obviously, but at least colours remain intact) and you don't need huge pictures anyway.
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah sure, it works fine. It's just slightly easier for the reader if you are able to embed them right in the post using img tags, but that's a bit more work for you because they need to be the right resolution. To get them in the post just get a direct link to the image you want to embed and put it in between the img tags, like so:

[img]https://i2.sndcdn.com/avatars-000002284831-y93rbx-t200x200.jpg?3eddc42[/img]

https://i2.sndcdn.com/avatars-000002284831-y93rbx-t200x200.jpg?3eddc42
I got that link by going to my own soundcloud page, rightclicking the image and copying the image url. That works on most websites, but not on flickr so that might not be the right choice as an image host IF you want to embed pictures.

This afternoon when I watched your images I just looked at the flickr album you posted. The other links I didn't try, but I just noticed something went wrong in the formatting, because these links are truncated. If you want to paste a link to an image make sure it's not automatically shortened when pasting it.
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No problem man, I wish I had your gear. Don't forget what you have ;) 8-)
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Manual Booklet (?)

Neither can I, but I woulnd't read a paper manual like that either. In only consult the manual if I am looking for a certain function or need explanation on the application of a function. In that case a searcheable PDF is very convenient, especially if you have enough screen area to have both the manual and Cubase open at the same time.

But if you enjoy reading manuals back to back then yes, I can imagine a printed manual is more convenient. To be honest I did read the entire (printed) manual for my Blofeld, but that's because that's a very broad manual (with humour too) that covers not only the functionality in that synth, but also the general workings behind all of it which is applicable to any other synth as well. More like an education on sound design in general which can't hurt :)
by Strophoid
Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can't get into the Steinberg site.

Strange, the page works fine in all the browsers I've tried, which version of internet explorer are you using?
by Strophoid
Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Komplete VSTi (or similar ??)

I think i would've done the same thing in your situation. Buying instruments in quantities like Komplete doesn't work for me. It takes time to learn an instrument, and if you get 20 at once there is no way you can use them all to their full potential.
by Strophoid
Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It doesn't matter, they can live together just fine but they don't need eachother. I suggest you keep 6 until you are sure the conversion is complete and all your old projects open fine in your new Cubase.
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MPS

Ooh, what do I have to do to get a Steiny mug and mousepad other than go to MPS?
by Strophoid
Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If the artist 7 license shows on your USB elicenser then it's fine. The soft licenser is only used for LE/AI/Elements versions of Cubase so if it's empty that's fine.
I'm not at my DAW now, but I guess there should be a shortcut to Cubase on your desktop/in your start menu now. It might be called Cubase 7 instead of Cubase Artist 7.

Else look for it in the folder where you installed Cubase to, it should be there. ;)
by Strophoid
Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting, seems like it overwrote at least some of your Cubase 7 trial. That's not strange because Cubase 7 and Cubase artist 7 are exactly the same, it's the license that determines which features are available and which aren't.

The question is, does it work well? Do you have all the presets for plugins for example? If everything is fine, I guess you could just go with it. If you want to be sure, you could also uninstall Cubase 7 completely (both artist and the trial), then pop the disc back in and install Cubase artist 7 again. No need to do the license activation etc again, that's all done and stored on the USB key. As long as the latest version of the eLCC is installed you can uninstall/reinstall Cubase whenever you like.
by Strophoid
Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To be honest I'm not sure what I expected, in fact if you had the cubase 7 trial you didn't even need to install cubase artist 7, just adding the license to your USB key would allow you to use that install as Cubase artist 7.

Either way, uninstalling cubase 7 shouldn't harm cubase 6 at all.
I'm not entirely sure what the most efficient method is for getting all your plugins in Cubase 7. For some it probably works if you just copy the .dll files from the VST plugins folder for Cubase 6 to the Cubase 7 folder. I don't actually know how to go about VST3 plugins, I doubt you need to install them again but I don't know how to have them show up. Someone else maybe?
by Strophoid
Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ok good, that sounds better :).
As for the VST's, I'm not sure like I said. VST2 plugins you can simply copy the .dll files over from your cubase 6 folder, vst3 I don't know about.
by Strophoid
Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nice, sorry I forgot to mention you had to redo all your settings and preferences, but you found that out yourself ;).
Let me know how you get your plugins available when you figured it out!
by Strophoid
Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting. Halion Sonic SE is the basic version that comes with Cubase artist, Halion Sonic is the full product.
If that's the one you get in Cubase I guess it's working ;)
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I assume they are separate as I think you are supposed to be able to use Halion Sonic in other DAWs too, which isn't the case for Halion Sonic SE.
If you have all the content for Halion Sonic in Cubase I woulnd't bother reinstalling.
by Strophoid
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

dll stands for dynamic link library. It's a Microsoft invention I believe.
A .dll file is basically a program in itself, but without the framework required to run it. In this case the Cubase VST host is the framework that you use to run the .dll files.
by Strophoid
Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am no expert on accoustic treatment, but I doubt wallpaper does much for your sound. If it absorbs anything it'll be high frequencies only and not by much.
by Strophoid
Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stars and Ratings?

It's a bit worthless. The amount of stars is the amount of thanks that have been given to a poster in that topic, in relation to the highest amount of thanks a post has ever given. So it doesn't actually show much at all, because the highest thanked post is at 18 thanks at the time of writing. check the thanks toplist .
by Strophoid
Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It will probably overwrite, 6.5 overwrote 6 in my case anyway.
by Strophoid
Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks Freddie H.....I'll be reading up on your products mentioned

Here's a novice question (in keeping with the thread): If you process through a digital converter like the UR28M, then
you've amplified and digitized the incoming signal for Cubase to work with, right?.....So then, if you need a sound
card, what do you need it for?????....i would guess you don't need a sound card, right?....at least for Cubase work...?

john

The UR28M IS a soundcard, so you don't need another ;)
by Strophoid
Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Assign "own" midi to CC121 buttons

Unfortunately not, only the 4 buttons on the right can be assigned as you wish.
by Strophoid
Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Quick Midex 8 question

It works fine in my 6.5 and I've seen no reports here yet that that's changed in 7.
So I can't confirm but it looks good ;).
by Strophoid
Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it time to wash the Cubase 7.5 tshirt ?

This is one of the better topics of today, I approve.
I guess you could try wearing it inside out for a while :)
by Strophoid
Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2nd opinion is always good, and an experienced musician is much easier to record in my experience, they just sound better and know how to use a mic properly.
Make sure you do some testruns before he arrives, so you have the signal flow figured out and you're sure there's no problems with latency/dropouts etc.
by Strophoid
Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Happy Holidays!! {'-'} 'Melekalikimaka'

Enjoy your Christmas holidays everyone!
by Strophoid
Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Need help with analog mixer connections

Ok I see, that's a messy solution indeed.
Ideally you want the mixer as the central hub where all signals originate or go to. I don't know the soundcraft mixer too well, but I'm sure there's a way to connect your instruments to your mixer, your speakers to your mixer, your computer input to the mixer and the computer output to the mixer.

Additionally, I could be wrong but the way your speakers are connected now you aren't getting a stereo image. These are stereo inputs on mono speakers so they are summed together and both speakers produce the same mono signal in this case. Get rid of the RCA inputs on your speakers and just use the jack input on them, left output on the mixer to the left speaker and right output to the right speaker.
by Strophoid
Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dropouts and latency are related. Latency is the delay between a sound going into your audio interface, through Cubase and then back out till you hear it. Cubase needs a bit of time to calculate, as does your audio interface for the analog to digital and back to analog conversion.
The latency Cubase has (usually called buffer size) can be changed in the ASIO driver, usually from 32-bit up to 2048-bit or more (the higher the longer the latency). How much latency this results in in milliseconds depends on the samplerate (which you should leave at 44.1 KHz) and also a lot on the quality of the driver.
In general, you want your latency as low as possible without getting dropouts, which sound like pops, clicks or scratches. This happens when the buffer is not big enough for Cubase to complete all calculations. You'll notice that this depends on processor load. A simple project with just a few tracks and no plugins will probably run fine on the lowest buffer size, but as a project expands you'll find Cubase needs a higher buffer.

A high latency can be a problem when recording, because the performer hears a delay between his performance and what's being recorded, which can make timing difficult. Some audio interfaces have zero latency monitoring which could be a solution in this case, and if you are using an analog mixer then you can create your own zero latency monitor mix for recording. When mixing it doesn't matter how high your latency is, as timing isn't critical here. Note that Cubase compensates for this latency, so whatever you're recording at high latency will line up fine with the rest of the project, it's just that the playback is delayed.

Advice on recording your friend is difficult without hearing the song ;). Usually on a vocal you use a compressor to create a more even volume throughout the track. You can do the same on the accoustic guitar. Use an FX track with a reverb plugin on it to create a sense of space in your track, send both the vocal track and the guitar track to it.

Use EQ to sculpt the sound of each track. Boosts are usually broadband and subtle, cuts can be very aggressive and targeted at specific frequencies. For example, you can do a low cut with minimum gain to get rid of the low frequencies of the guitar track, which will get rid of some rumbling noises from the frets or mic. You may also notice that some notes appear louder in the recording, because of your room. Use EQ to reduce that specific frequency a bit to compensate.

Anyway, there's lots to learn/experiment with on this topic, I suggest you just go ahead and try things. If you get stuck, make a post in the made with Steinberg subforum and attach your recording so people can hear it and give feedback/tips.
by Strophoid
Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I JUST BOUGHT CUBASE 7!

Enjoy your new acquisition :)
Happy new year to you too!
by Strophoid
Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: eLicenser server is down

Been around here for a while now and not seen this happen before with Steinberg.
Sure there's been some downtime every now and then, but not this long and always with a swift response from Steinberg that they are on the case.
I guess it's just bad timing.

I hope you all get your new software registered asap, I know I would be upset if I couldn't use my new toys!
by Strophoid
Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CI2 Mixer not recognised in Audio MIDI Setup

Nice, glad that worked!
Happy new year to you too :)
by Strophoid
Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is MR816 and HP Elitebook 8770w a good combo?

I have an older model Elitebook so there might be a different firewire interface in yours, but mine works without a hitch with the firewire interfaces I have (had). No MR though.
by Strophoid
Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Different Input and Output device.

Yep, that's it.
Cubase fully supports multiple in and outputs out of the box, as long as they're available in the same driver.
Don't be offended by Thinkingcap's posts too much, he believes it's better if people find out stuff for themselves with the right pointers. Can't say I disagree with him, it just comes across a bit rude at times.
by Strophoid
Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Right Click" tools menu....can I customize it?

Ah yes, I think that requires a long right mousebutton press. If you keep it pressed you can resize the tool menu. I could be wrong but that's what my memory tells me.

As for customizing it, that would be cool but I don't think so.
by Strophoid
Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [new song] Live without

As long as you're happy with it it's all good mate ;)
by Strophoid
Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Firewire Issues

Hmm, are you running this off 6-pin firewire? I don't even know if the MR816 can run off firewire power, but if so, try connecting the power lead, your mac might not provide enough power over firewire.
by Strophoid
Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Artist 6 (HALion advice please)

Yes that is correct. HSSE comes with Cubase, HS is a paid upgrade which has more instruments and more parameters to tweak, H4 is an all out sampler (as well as a rompler I guess, it has many instruments included) and a synth in one.
by Strophoid
Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It might depend on where you live, but if I check the Steinberg store they only sell a boxed version if you're buying the full product, if you're updating from HalionSonic they only have a download version. The download is 800/900 MB depending on whether you need the mac or PC version. I don't know how fast your connection is so you'll have to do the math yourself ;).
by Strophoid
Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Note that the 800mb installer is not the full installer. You need Halion Sonic installed already because it needs that content. That's why the download isn't very big ;)
by Strophoid
Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sounds like it :).
by Strophoid
Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A Bit Of Help Needed Please (thanks !)

Doesn't Halion 5 include all the content from HS2 anyway?
by Strophoid
Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 50%off sale

I got HSO as well, not the best but for €50,- a definitive improvement over the HSSE orchestra samples and good enough for my basic needs in this area.
The store worked fine for me too btw, strange you experienced problems with it!
by Strophoid
Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dumb Q: Drum Kit stereo mix

Cubase Artist comes with Groove Agent One, which has a lot of built in drumkits as well. This offers far more control than HSSE. If you load up Groove Agent One in an instrument track you can control all the individual sounds from the GAO interface, or, if you load it in the instrument rack , you can even assign every sound to a separate output so you can mix your entire drumkit in your Cubase mixer.
by Strophoid
Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: desert island

I would go all Cubase built in plugins for all of these, as I don't use much else. NI supercharger as second compressor. My mic would be the Studio Projects C3, VSTi's HSSE for bread and butter, and my MO6 keyboard and DTX750 drumkit.
I don't even have a Deesser :o
by Strophoid
Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Invisible eLicenser fonts problem!

Haha, sorry for having a laugh at your expense but that's quite funny ;).
Never seen that before!

This is not really the right subforum for this question, I doubt it gets much traffic here. Try the product forum of whichever Steinberg software you own, or submit a support ticket with Steinberg. Good chance they've had this question before.
by Strophoid
Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I downloaded the free "Elaborate Bytes VirtualCloneDrive", it's a small bit of software that creates a virtual CD drive that can read your ISO files as if they were actual CD's. Works very easy (on my windows 7 64-bit) and saves you a CD ;).
by Strophoid
Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hmm, I got it from a 3rd party website but that should be it. I'm not on the computer I downloaded it on right now so I can't check, but judging by the image icons on that website I got Virtual Clone (nearly at the bottom of the list, the angry sheep instead of the funky one ;)) instead of Virtual Clone Drive.
by Strophoid
Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I downloaded the free "Elaborate Bytes VirtualCloneDrive", it's a small bit of software that creates a virtual CD drive that can read your ISO files as if they were actual CD's. Works very easy (on my windows 7 64-bit) and saves you a CD ;).

Cheers Strophoid,

Is this the site mate ??

http://elaborate-bytes.software.informer.com/

Paul

Ok, thanks. I think you must mean this one :-

http://virtualclone.software.informer.com/

I was thinking, I do have a couple of programs called CHICKEN SYSTEMS and also NERO but I have not installed them yet. They were on my old PC (Windows XP) which has now been replaced by my Widows 7 and 8.1. I am not sure if either of those would work for the tasks ??

Yeah that's the one. I've never heard of chicken systems before, I do know nero but I don't know if it can mount images, all I know is it can burn them to disc but then again you could already do that.
by Strophoid
Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg / Arturia V-Collection

I have heard some of the Arturia synths, a friend of mine has them and is very happy with them.
What little I played with them I found them not particularly inspiring or special sounding. I realise these are supposed to sound as authentic as possible and most of these synths I have never heard for real so I can't say how accurate they are. I'll not be buying these, I find that what I already have in soft and hardware covers my needs just fine.

Arturia actually gave away a free simplified version of their minimoog emulation on facebook. I got that and played with it for a while and never touched it since. :?
by Strophoid
Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's a lot of money and effort :shock:.
Whatever floats your boat, but I installed my HSO in less than 10 minutes after downloading Virtual Clone .

This is a direct link to the installer:
http://static.slysoft.com/SetupVirtualCloneDrive.exe

edit: Oh wait, that installer is in Dutch :D. Let me find the english one.
edit2: mmh, even CNET links to the Dutch installer. Oh well, you can try installing it anyway, depending on how good your Dutch is :P. It's fairly straight forward though, and once installed you can change the program language to English (or many other languages for that matter). When it's done installing you'll find a new icon in your taskbar, and if you rightclick it, hit 'instellingen' and go the the 'taal' tab you can change languages. From there on it's very easy to use. Tell it to mount your ISO and you can open it from explorer like a regular CD/DVD.

Anyway, I just read that if you doubleclick an .ISO file in windows 8 it's automatically mounted, you shouldn't need any additional software for that. That would by far be the easiest way to do it.
by Strophoid
Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Exporting mix speeds up the tempo? `(cubase 6)

Quite clearly a samplerate mismatch. Check if you are exporting at the same sample frequency as your project and audio interface settings. You'll probably want to use 44.1KHz for all.
by Strophoid
Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Inexpensive home-use PC also for lightweight C7 use?

It depends on the audio interface as well. If you want to use the onboard soundcard it'll probably work using ASIO4all and a fairly high buffersize, but there's no way of knowing other than to test it.
If you want to use an external audio interface that shouldn't be a problem, but if it's firewire there may be issues with the chip used in the firewire controller.

Also, check the minimum required specs for Cubase and compare it to your PC of choice. They're pretty low though so I guess most desktop PC's bought today would suffice.
by Strophoid
Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Inexpensive home-use PC also for lightweight C7 use?

Yes, all i3/i5/i7 models have at least 2 cores as far as I know. The same is true for all CPU's in AMD's current lineup.
I don't think any PC currently sold has single core processors anymore, with the exception of really low end notebooks like Chromebooks etc, and even those might have dual cores these days.
by Strophoid
Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why would you need a download if Steinberg sent you physical DVDs?
by Strophoid
Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Proposed new DAW ... any comments/suggestions appreciate

I think you could save some €30,- by picking a motherboard with H87 chipset instead of Z87, if you're not getting the 4570K version it won't overclock much anyway which is mainly what the Z87 is about as far as I know.

edit: just realised that if you're getting it prebuilt from ADK you may not have an option to pick a different mobo.

It looks fine otherwise, should be a great machine.
by Strophoid
Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg + Arturia

No longer have the link, but I recall it said these registered on your eLicenser dongle just like Cubase itself. So you can use it anywhere as long as you have the dongle inserted.
by Strophoid
Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That was a bit more complicated than it should have been :?
Glad it's sorted, enjoy your new toys!
by Strophoid
Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg + Arturia

Choose from these international payment methods: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club, PayPal, pre-payment, invoice**.

Regionally available: Click&Buy, Giropay, Solocard, Dankort, iDEAL, Carta-Si, Carte Bleue, bank debit**, and more.

From here.
by Strophoid
Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A muso's best friend

Shadowfax, quote one of HowlingUlf's posts with an image to see how he does it ;)
by Strophoid
Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 Super Bundle

It should come with the cables required (USB and power) to run everything.
It does however not come with cables to connect your speakers to the audio interface, so have a look what you need for that.
Additionally, you might want to have 2 instrument cables (jack-jack) for connecting guitars or electronic instruments for recording. That obviously depends on whether you plan on recording these instruments.

That should get you going just fine. Good luck with your first steps in a big but promising new world :D
by Strophoid
Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR44 - Full Duplex ?

In Cubase settings, tick 'release ASIO driver when in background'.
by Strophoid
Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: re new PC build

Mind if I ask what you paid for that?
by Strophoid
Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The new Steinberg plugin

Nice :)

Oedipus Driftpunch wrote:Whoever photoshopped that should be embarrassed it's in the public domain. They won't appreciate you disseminating it.

Glad you enjoy some light-hearted humour too. :?
by Strophoid
Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No External Effects window in LE 5

I don't think LE5 has external FX, so your solution would be to upgrade to a higher version of Cubase. I'm not sure if Cubase Artist 7.5 has external FX but I think it doesn't (too lazy to check at 2:20, sorry :)), so unfortunately you'd have to get Cubase 7.5.
by Strophoid
Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Not one '4-20' reference in the lounge today?

I know us Dutchies have this reputation but I've never tried it and never will.

@Roel: Oh sorry, ik zag een Nederlandse naam dus ik gokte het er maar op ;).
by Strophoid
Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI problem - Cubase 6.5

Sounds like it might be a power saving setting in Windows that cuts the power to your midi interface after some idle time and Cubase doesn't detect it again when it's turned on again.
by Strophoid
Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Edit audio

If you do such a thing, Cubase would normally tell you that there are other audio events in your project that will be affected and ask you if you wish to apply your changes to all or make a new copy to just alter the one event you're working on.
If it doesn't show you this dialog, you probably ticked the 'don't ask this again' box at some point ;). I suspect you can undo this in the Cubase preferences somewhere. I don't know where to look for it though, so if you can't find it try the manual.
by Strophoid
Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dongle Durability

Thanks Curteye,

If you are a pro and your living depends on using Cubase, it might be wise to own a separate license (or two).
Well I was actually wondering about that possibility. So you mean buy TWO dongles but keep one safe tucked away? I did not know if you could register all your licensors TWICE (ie on two dongles). Obviously you could only use one dongle at a time but that's not a problem at all.

No you can't he means buying 2 licenses ;)
by Strophoid
Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audio/Visual Software (help?)

Fraps is fine, it has a free version which I suggest you test before you go and make the purchase. (it's got some limitations and it adds a small watermark to your video saying you're using the free version, but that should be good enough to find out if fraps works for you). Fraps is widely used so I can't imagine it wouldn't work in Windows 8. If it didn't you should be able to find plenty of reports on the internet on that.
There are several others, each have their pro's and cons on video quality, filesize etc.
by Strophoid
Sun May 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audacity (very quick question?)

You probably don't need any of the plugins in that screen if you just record with audacity and then carry the recording over to your Cubase PC for editing. You can safely uncheck every single one of them if you want to do just recording. You could leave the ones that are located in the 'audacity' folder checked if you want, all the other ones are third party ones you probably already have in Cubase. (which is why they're listed there).
by Strophoid
Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audio/Visual Software (help?)

The selected ASIO driver determines which outputs Cubase can use. If you want to use another output than the CI2 then you need to select a different driver.

If you have spare in and outputs on the CI2 you could of course hardwire the Cubase output to a different input and have the Cubase output available there. But from the top of my head the CI2 has only 2 in and outputs so that's probably not possible because I assume you need an input for your mic.
by Strophoid
Thu May 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What is required too install more SSD ?.....Do you know if the Dell 8700 xps special edition that i bought
permits it ?....It describes " expandability " and " 4 HD bays "---can it be done ?.....is it just a matter of
inserting an SSD into a bay....?

See how many SATA connections you still have available, most motherboards have 6 and each optical drive and harddrive takes one, just like every SSD.
SSD's are 2.5", whereas regular harddrives are 3.5". Your case may have adaptable drive bays, and if not you can buy adapters that will let you mount a 2,5" drive in a 3.5" bay.
by Strophoid
Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SoundCloud Question (settings)?

I'd love to know that too, haven't found a way to do that :(.
by Strophoid
Wed May 28, 2014 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SoundCloud Question (settings)?

That's not necessarily true, it usually recommends stuff from people I follow so it's music I'm interested in. But that's what the stream is for, I don't want it to do this when I'm listening to other stuff.
by Strophoid
Wed May 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blue Yeti Pro Mic (MUTE?)

I have no experience with the BLUE mics but you'd think that at that pricepoint they have a proper mute button that doesn't pop.
However, in church we use dynamic AKG mics (not as expensive as a BLUE mic but not cheap) with a switch that used to be quiet, but after using them for some years the switch has started popping so with use it may detoriate.

What I would do in your case is use a regular footswitch to mute/unmute your audio track while recording. That has no impact on the recorded audio so no physical switch that's causing noise.
by Strophoid
Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cubase uses Quicktime player for its video playback so if Quicktime can play it Cubase will play it.
Quicktime plays back these.
No idea how recent that is but it should give you a good indication.
by Strophoid
Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What you do is you export the audio from the video AND the narration as a single audio file and THEN use replace audio in video to put that audio track in your video file.
Cubase (no version) doesn't export video so that's your best option.

If you are comfortable doing this post-recording narration than that's fine but I would personally much prefer doing the narration and video recording live at the same time. The problem was that you couldn't record your external instruments while using the mic because you don't have enough inputs correct? There might be a way around that now that you have a USB mic. With some luck you can use ASIO4all to use your mic over USB and your regular audio interface simultaneously. You'll have to see how this performs latency-wise, but if latency isn't crucial during a narration I would definitely give that a shot!

The video quality looked fine to me by the way, could've been a bit sharper but I could clearly read everything in your user interface so I guess it's sufficient. Don't forget to set your youtube player to HD when viewing. The default quality is 240p which DOES look terrible ;).
by Strophoid
Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'll be honest: I have no idea :)
Give it a go I guess, can't hurt to try.
by Strophoid
Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No sound from Cubase LE 7 (using Yamaha MX49)

Ah, there you go. Cubase allows just 1 driver to be loaded at a time. That means if you load your Yamaha driver, Cubase only sees the in and outputs on your keyboard. Your laptop in and outputs will be unavailable.

There are 2 options for you. The first and best is to connect your speakers to your keyboard outputs instead of your laptop output. This is better because the yamaha ASIO driver is much better than the generic ASIO driver you will need for your laptop soundcard. If you are saying you are using the actual built in speakers on your laptop (boooo!), then this is not possible of course.
The 2nd option is using a driver to use with your onboard soundcard. There is usually some Generic driver available in the VST audio system tab that will work, but they often have huge latency and quickly start dropping out when under load. If you experience problems like this, you can try ASIO4all instead, that's a better performing generic ASIO driver.
by Strophoid
Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This is Love

Very nice mate, any chance you could share the lyrics (here or on the soundcloud page). Always nice to hear some fellow Christian musicians :).
I really like the track, nicely produced! The only nit I have is there seems to be some stereo effect on the bassdrum which throws me off all the time when listening on my headphones. Not sure if it's a stereo widener or something else but it sounds strange to me. Probably worse so because my AKGs are known to have a very wide stereo field.

Good mix otherwise though, good job getting the piano and guitar to play together nicely, I find that quite hard to achieve usually!
by Strophoid
Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RE : You Tube Grabber

I use youtubedownloader as well, works great. What's even better is that if you link it to a YouTube playlist it will download the whole batch in one go.
It can convert the files to many different formats, including MP3. In my experience the codec used isn't great though, I get some distortion in the resulting mp3s that definitely isn't there in the original video.
by Strophoid
Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi Strophoid,

It can convert the files to many different formats, including MP3. In my experience the codec used isn't great though, I get some distortion in the resulting mp3s that definitely isn't there in the original video.

Is the distortion just for videos or for mp3 also please ?

Paul

I get the distortion just for mp3 ;).
Not for every video I download so it may depend on the original format or signal level, I don't know. If it proves problematic you could always use youtube downloader for downloading the file and some other converter to get the audio from the videos. I never used anything else for that though so I can't give any suggestions.
by Strophoid
Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, indeed, you don't need it. You enter the URL to your youtube video (or many other websites too, not just youtube!) in that top bar and hit download. Once it's finished you go to the convert tab to convert the downloaded video to your desired format. You can let it cut the video for you if you want, and it can also automatically delete the original file after conversion.
The pro version lets you do the download and conversion in 1 step, but the free version works well enough for me.
by Strophoid
Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

Sorry, but Steinberg is free to charge whatever they want for any feature. The fact that the paid version is called pro means absolutely nothing, as if padshop pro is for professionals only.
Of course it's an arbitrary difference, Steinberg gives you an incentive to buy the paid version, why would they develop the whole thing and give it away for free 'because it would be useful for most people with an occasional remote requirement'. That makes less sense to me than calling the paid version pro and giving it some useful additional features like local network support.
by Strophoid
Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do you 'Thank' people in the forum?

Or the bottom right, depending on which skin you use I believe.
by Strophoid
Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic