Search found 26 matches

Return

Re: QUESTION: Snap Note Lengths?

Im not by my comp right now bit i think you hold ctrl/command and that lets you drag it out as if snap is off, works in automation aswell
by MarcusBits
Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trim MIDI event length

Forum member Bo Clausen has some great macros (so do a search on his name.. I'm pretty sure he has posted a macro that does what I am about to describe, all in one go ;) )…
Anyways, these are the steps..
1) Open the Part in the Key Editor, and select the desired range.
2) Transport menu>"Locators to Selection" (or Key Command "P")
3) Close the Key Editor
4) Edit menu>Functions>"Split Loop"
You now have your original Part split into three sections, with the MIDI content in the middle one.
5) Select all three Parts
6) Edit menu>Process Project Logical Editor>Parts + Events>"Delete Empty Parts"
by vic_france
Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone noticed slow project file saving? Cubase7.5

yes: preferences/editing/audio
But you have to manually remove hitpoints already added.
by madsv
Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tip: Exporting directly to an application of your choice.

You may well know that Cubase 6 can export a mixdown directly to Wavelab7.
Cubase does this through a postprocess script named "OpenInWaveLab7.aepp", which is an xml format file with a .aepp extension, located in the "Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\Audio Export Post Process Scripts\" folder.

The good thing is that you can make your own postprocessing scripts, using "OpenInWaveLab7.aepp" as a template.
This will allow you to choose from a menu in the "Export Audio Mixdown" dialog what application Cubase should send the finished mixdown to.

The icon to be displayed in the menu (if any) should be a 32x32 pixels .png file placed along your .aepp file. Icons are not necessary, however.

Here's my "OpenInAudacity.aepp" (I extracted the icon from the audacity.exe file and saved it along the script) :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<AudioExportPostProcess>
<Description>Open in Audacity</Description>
<Icon>Audacity.png</Icon>
<Executable>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity\Audacity.exe</Path>
<Argument>"$PATH"</Argument>
</Executable>
<RunOnce>false</RunOnce>
<WaitDone>false</WaitDone>
</AudioExportPostProcess>

Here's how my menu looks: PostProcessMenu.jpg

Regards, Kris.
by krisp
Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Got a cool tip or macro to add to the list? Spotted an error or know a better way? Post it here and I'll add it on as and when I can!

There are lots more juicy tips in this thread that haven't been collated yet, or are a bit too general or complex to fit in this post. Have a wade through and see what nuggets you find.

Excellent Thread by Bane (looks like hundreds of hours of work here) thanks Curteye.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=23576#p151237

Great Site Full of Tutorials thanks Norbury Brook .
http://www.cubasetutorial.net/

Best Ever Workflow Tip

The one piece of advice that keeps on coming up over and over: Learn the Key commands and assign your own. Almost every function can be set to a key command.

Here's an excellent thread by JMCecil with a utility for setting up and viewing key commands.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=31882

Project Setup

Make templates!

Get a session set up how you like it, tracks ready to go, input and output buses, group channels, folder tracks even favourite VST instruments and FX, this is a BIG timesaver.

Template From Existing Project

Save your project under a different name first (avoids ‘lost project embarrassment’). Delete all the Audio/MIDI stuff you don’t want in the template from the project window. Hit [CTL]+P to open pool and right [Option]click, select empty trash.
BEWARE, don’t choose erase unless you don’t need the files, choose the‘remove from pool’ option. Erase option will send your files to digital heaven. Then choose Save as Template option from the file menu.

Naming Tracks

In the Arrange window, click in the track name box to get a curser, type in the tracks name ie; ’Kick’, hit [TAB] (cursor jumps to next track name box) type in next one and repeat. Hit [Enter] to end.

Naming Tracks Inside Folders - by Xtigma

Rename all tracks inside a folder to the same name.
Type name in Folder Track, hold down [shift] + press [enter].

Rename all events on midi track to track's name - By Mozizo

Dbl click track name(fonts highligted with blue).
Press and hold one of the modifiers and press Enter.

Assigning Input Buses and Channel Outputs

In the Mix Console, select the required audio channels and as you assign the 1st channel (Drop down menu in Mix Console-Routing Tab) hold down [Shift] and each channel will be assigned incrementally.
Holding [Shift]+[ALT] will send all selected channels to the same Input bus or output.

Macros

To create a macro

File/Key Commands/Show Macros/New Macro-and name it.
Highlight the command from the commands window and hit 'Add Command' after each.
The new marco should now be visible in the macro folder in the commands window. Assign it to a Key of your choice.

New Track Macro - by Rhino

For creating a new track with all routing monitoring and FX settings from existing in one go.

Project - Duplicate Tracks
Edit - Select All On Tracks
Edit - Delete

Bounce In Place - by Winter Rat http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=30597

Cubase Ninja Pro-Tools style Trim Automation - by Lukasbrooklyn http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=38182

Set L and R Locators to next 2 markers - by SeeWhat

Locate to marker 1 then apply the following macro ({Alt}+{/}.
transport- set Left locator
transport- next marker
transport- set Right locator

Mix Console/FX

Default FX Presets - by Rhino

In any FX container window, next to the preset box hit the cubase icon and choose 'save as default preset'

Open all insert GUI on channel - By mozizo

[shift]+[alt]+[left click] on E button of a channel.
To close all of them [shift]+[left click] on E again.

Reset Channel Settings - by Bacizone

In Track Inspector - Alt+Click on the Bypass buttons will reset the settings of Insert / Strip / Equalizer / Send

Audio

Pre-Insert Volume Automation

Make sure the 'Use Mouse Wheel for Event volume and Fades' option is activated in Preferences. Editing/Audio page.
[ALT]+Click on an audio event to cut it around the area you want to change, then hover the mouse over it and mouse wheel up for louder (up to 24db) or down for softer. Will also work for multiple selections or entire Audio events. Won't work for an Audio Part unless you dissolve part first [CTL]+ right[option] click to open context menu and choose Audio/Dissolve Part.
[CTL]+M/Wheel near front of event to adjust fade in or near rear for fade out.

Replace all audio clip instances - by lukasbrooklyn

To replace all instances of an audio event in a project (akin to exchanging a sample in a sampler), put your replacement sample in the pool, the drag it from the pool whist holding shift, and drop it onto the event to be replaced.

MIDI

MIDI Octave shortcut - by Stealth

Select midi event(s) in the project/arrange page then Shift + up or down arrow key to change octave.

MIDI Velocity Editing - by trashdinner

Hold shift + Ctrl, left click and drag up or down to change velocity on selected MIDI events.

Logical Editor - by Curteye

Being a MIDI guitarist from the early 90's the LE was a must learn.
Here is my approach(es):

1-When using it stop thinking like an artist/musician etc
and start thinking more 'scientific'. (similar but not quite the same)

2-Don't go in 'cold'. Decide want you want to accomplish and use a preset
that steers in that direction. There are many in Cubase. Tweak from there.

3-Save your tweak as a preset. You might need it later and you might forget how you got there.
(happened to me a lot at first)

4-Using LE custom presets along with Key Commands can really speed the workflow.

VST Instruments

Record VST instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export - by JMCecil

F4 -> Output tab -> hit + sign and create a Stereo Output called whatever "VSTi Out". Do not assign this output to any of your audio card outputs.
On your Instrument track, set the output to the "VSTi Output" from the previous step.
Create a Stereo Audio Track in the project, set the INPUT to "VSTi Output"
Enable monitor and/or Record enable.

Layered Samples in Groove Agent SE - by trashdinner

If you add multiple sounds to a pad (by drag and dropping) use the first (top) option when dropping the sounds to a pad to layer them.
At first they will will not trigger at the same time but the different samples will trigger depending on the velocity so while the pad is selected, change the mode to "layer" instead of "velocity" in the main tab. Now they all trigger at the same time but you can't adjust the volumes or any other parameters of the different samples separately ... but here's how to do it:
There are 2 little buttons on the upper right side of Groove Agent SE, one is ABS or Rel (It's set to ABS by default)
and the other one is Pad or Sel (It's set to Pad by default). If you press the Pad button to switch it to Sel (while the multi samples pad is selected) you can now chose the sample you want to change the volume or any other parameters and it will only change the settings of that sample within the Pad instead of all the samples within the pad. So just select the sample, tweak some buttons and when you select another sample on the same pad you'll see the the tweaks you made won't affect the other samples :) I find That really usefull instead of having to have 3 midi notes for my kick sound, I just have one and tweak it inside Groove Agent SE.

Vari Audio

Variaudio shortcuts - by trashdinner

[tab] to switch between segment and pitch modes.
Hold [ctrl] while moving a note to snap to pitch.
Hold [shift] while moving a note to move it freely.

Editing of M/S - Recordings - by marQs

If recording i.e. a vocalist with M/S technique (to get that little air around) which I often do, record it to a stereo track (M = left/S = right) instead of two individual tracks. Mix6To2 or Voxengo MSED get you decoded in a second.

That way you can apply i.e. VariAudio + Warp to both channels while avoiding phase issues.

Works exactly the same if you track a DI guitar + an amp, up to 6 channels, see Rhino's tip on multitrack wave editing here http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=49327#p301663

Video

Video Scrubbing - by Carlo

Very nice for film-scoring if you play back a movie on a computer screen: Click directly in the Video Player window and drag the mouse left or right...

Toggle Full Screen Video - by BFred

Double-click anywhere in the video window to toggle full screen mode.

General

Resize Tool box (Arrange Window) - by Soul Burn

If you press right-click to open the tools menu and hold it pressed for about 5 seconds (it feels long), you can resize the shape of the toolbox. This lets you get to your tools with a shorter movement of the mouse.

Scissor Trick - by Bonso

Scissor Tool : alt/click when slicing an event divides the whole event into equal length sections.

Reverse Locators to skip section - by Rotund

If you just want to cut a section of a song, but want to hear the result first.
Simply engage cycle, then set your left locator to the end of the section to be cut.
Then set your right locator to the beginning of the section to be cut.
Yea, backwards.
Now playback from a point before the right locator.
The song will skip over the section enclosed in the markers.

Got something to share? Post your tips and ideas in this thread and I'll add them when I can.
by Paul Coyle
Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bounce In Place is possible in C7 New [Video]

Hi,

You wanna Bounce-In-Place For One click? Here it is. For the Instrument track.
Just select your Instrument track and press your key command.

Macro:

----------------------------------------------------------
Edit - Select All on Tracks
Transport - Locators To Selection
Edit - Solo
File - Export - Audio Mixdown
Audio Export - Sync Channel Selectio with MixConsole
Audio Export - Increase Counter Start Value
Audio Export - Perfom Audio Export
Navigate - Bottom
--------------------------------------------------------------

After fulfilling this macro you need just to drag your new Audio track to the place you want.

But don't forget to make appropriate settings in Export Audio Mixdown window
before start the macro. You need to do it ONCE. So, check the following settings:

1.Channel Batch Export
2.Path (wherever you want)

3.Naming scheme: 1.Channel Name. 2.Counter
(Counter lets you stay calm about possible file name conflicts, if you do

"Bounce-In-Place" more then once, for certain VSTi. From time to time you'll

need to reset it)

4.Sample Rate
5.Bit Depth
6.Import into Project: Pool! Audio track!
7.Close window after export.

Sure, you'll need to turn off inserts and sends manually if you want the dry
sound and after Audio Export make copy of your Instrument channel settings
to new Audio track, but with new MixConsole it's a piece of cake (select
Instr. Channel - Ctrl+C, select Audio channel - Ctrl+V).

For MIDI Track + Multichannel VSTi Macro will be a bit more complicated.

Cheers.
by Winter Rat
Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How can I just record some piano midi and let Cubase fol

(Ah I've just seen that Thinkingcap has written, in two lines, what I have just used an entire paragraph for :P )..

Is this the full version of Cubase? (I'm not sure if the following is available in Cubase Artist/Elements)..
Anyways..
1) Once you have recorded your MIDI Piano Part, set the MIDI/Instrument Track from Musical Timebase to Linear Timebase (in the MIDI/Instrument track's Inspector, click on the "quarter-note" icon to change it into a "clock" icon).
(This has the result that Cubase's Tempo Track can now be modified without changing what you actually hear )
2) If you had the Tempo in the Transport Bar set to "Fixed", change it to "Track".
3) If necessary, drag your MIDI Part, such that the first downbeat corresponds with the appropriate downbeat in Cubase's Grid (in the simplest case, that would be, align the first played note with the start of a bar.. it is in fact a good idea, generally, to let Cubase have a couple of bars "breathing space" before the music starts anyways ;) )

There are now two methods available in Cubase (like Thinkingcap said ;) ) ..
(the first is maybe simpler, but the 2nd is probably more thorough, especially if the music isn't particularly rhythmic, with obvious downbeats).

Method #1..
Open the Piano track's MIDI Part in the Key Editor, select the Timewarp Tool, and working through from left to right, drag the bar lines, such that they correspond with the downbeats of your music (like I said, earlier, this will change Cubase's Grid to fit the music, without changing what is actually heard ).

Method #2..
4) Create a new MIDI track, routed to some percussive/metronome sound, put it into Record, and "tap" along to your recorded Piano track, playing, normally, quarter-notes, just as if you were "conducting" the music (it becomes quite easy to do this once you've gotten the hang of it, especially seeing as it was you who played the piano part in the first place. And, in any case, seeing as this "tapping" is just a regular MIDI track, you can edit it afterwards until you are satisfied that it fits your music nicely).
5) Put this "tapping" track into Linear Timebase also.
[EDIT] 5b) HughH has discovered a bug with the next two steps, if you have created your "tapping" from a combination of several tracks, or several Lanes on the same track..
If this is your case, then merge (glue) your tapping into a single track before proceeding! [/EDIT]
6) Select the MIDI Part that contains your "tapping", and set the Left and Right Locators to its boundaries.
7) Go to the MIDI Menu>Functions>"Merge Tempo from Tapping", and, in the dialog that opens, set "Tapping" to 1/4 (if that is what you had tapped ;) ), and checkmark the option "Begin at Bar Start".

That should be it ;) (You can now put your tracks back to Musical Timebase, if you wish, so you can now modify Cubase's tempo if desired, and the music will follow).

It's actually easier than it reads, especially after having done it a few times;). Good luck :).

Just to be completely exhaustive ( :oops: :) ) ..
Both those methods work with recorded Audio also, provided that you also, before doing any of the above, go into the Audio Pool, and switch off "Musical Mode" for each of the Audio clips.
by vic_france
Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thinking about reinstall Win7 and all aps

Ok, I'v done it and everything is perfect now:

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=53573

Problem RESOLVED.
by serenity
Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: c7.5 is absolutely ROCK SOLID

Plasuma, I deleted your posts, evidently posted to disrupt the thread.
You can post your points in a proper thread in the issues forum or in another thread dealing with problems the users are facing. You actually posted the same exact things elsewhere.

Thanks.
by Fabio Bartolini
Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 3rd party plugin issue

Aloha guys, just to chime in,

I find 3rd party plugs in two places:
The path is:system drive/Library/audio/plug-ins/VST/

As well as
system drive/~/Library/audio/plug-ins/VST

The ~ being 'User' folder.

Some plugs work in both places and others (especially older ones)
seem to work in only one or the other.
{'-'}
by curteye
Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hello,

you can post in the Issues Forum.

If you have any threads that we might have missed, feel free to let me know via PM.

Cheers,
by Fabio Bartolini
Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C7.5 Multithread processing performance experience?

OC'ed? Yes. The i7 990X is basically a CPU sold for that purpose, only.

Second hint: My tests included a full round of stock conditions trials, following exactly the same methodology. Absolutely the same effect observed. Just at different capacity levels. Again, please excuse my brevity here, as I said I have a good amount of documented evidence of my tests. So can tell you OC'ing did not influence the overall observation.

In return, could I now be humored and explain what kind of mysterious trouble OC'ing may cause? Is that what you've heard or is it your personal experience? I'm not trying to be a prick, I'd just much prefer to speak in clear(er) terms that can lead us, the conversation, this thread, to somewhere helpful and meaningful.
by Gusfmm
Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Part of what drove me to finally spend time trying to benchmark my system's performance was, as I already said, my own instrumental template growth and thus, Cubase's performance starting to show capacity issues I'd not experienced before. But another factor was a colleague (also Cubase user) reporting that even though he had just assembled a new Haswell i7 PC (upgrading from a first gen i7-900 series) with some of the bells and whistles you'd expect, he had been unable to see any important performance improvement as a result (which I found impossible to accept). But that's his reality, which I obviously don't doubt for a second.

It is curious to see somebody on one of the above references reporting basically the same experience with his new i7-4770 build. This would hint, to me, that there is something about Cubase's multiprocessing performance that is not yet up-to-par, close to being optimal. The fact that the coupling with VEP effectively enhances system performance substantially, reported by me and several other users, seems to support that notion. This is my first re-observation.

But something else I find worth clarifying is that, at no point have I been specifically concerned, or have uniquely questioned ASIO performance. Not at all. My concern is about my system's performance as a whole. Cubase is the centerpiece, but there are several factors that importantly influence its performance. One of them, the audio hardware interface, as many have mentioned. Having said that though, I feel I can somewhat safely leave that factor aside from my main concerns, since this is a fixed constrain in the system, a hardware latency, regardless of what DAW, VSTi's or plug-ins I use.

In other words, at my Mackie ONYX driver buffer size of 128, my ASIO performance will be what it is, what the hardware can handle, and however efficiently the driver has been written or not. In my case, theoretically a driver-reported 5.2ms latency (regardless of whether or not that is 100% accurate). But it is what it is, a fixed constant factor. So when dawbench.com tested audio interfaces, and they found ABC is more efficient than XYZ, and I happen to have XYZ, that just means that there are other interfaces with better electronics and drivers, that can process the ASIO audio flow faster. Thus able to handle more before drop-outs.

Point I'm trying to make, this is just one factor amongst many. And it is fixed. Something I have to live with.

Now, my real interest is in exploring the conditions, beyond the above, how my system performance reaches what I call "capacity" (defined on first post).
by Gusfmm
Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

More succinctly, to close out the thought-

Since that system performance, and reaching this (max) "capacity" is associated with flawless (no drop-out) audio, and I believe ASIO performance basically depends on how well and promptly the audio software can keep up filling the ASIO buffer to avoid flow interruptions and thus drop-outs, I believe there is a strong relationship between ASIO performance and system performance. So excluding the ASIO hardware/driver latency factor, it is Cubase + your system's processing power that determine what that "capacity" is to be.

On the one side of my tests, I did see a slightly lower capacity when I switched my CPU to stock speeds, e.g. no OC'ing, more noticeable on the VEP series of tests. Which I think substantiate my above observation. But at the same time, the system speed difference was not substantially different for me to see major changes.

It also intrigues me that some people have reported such effect (no major improvement, that is) when they upgrade their systems. And I can only try an educated guess at it in saying that it might well be the case if Cubase's overall "VST Performance" is being somewhat limited by the way their code now handles all the processing, or multi-processing. Why in turn might be in line with the observation that C7.5 is not fully utilizing the multi-core capacity, at least in my tests results.

Would welcome thoughts and comments. (and sorry for the wordiness)
by Gusfmm
Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've done some more investigation and it seems that how your audio is routed can make a BIG difference to your ASIO meter, and to how many plugins you are able to run.

I ran three tests, each one using 24 instances of Waves Kramer Master Tape (KMT).

#1. ASIO meter at 15% , Win CPU at 15%
24 x stereo tracks, each with 1 KMT, no group tracks.

#2. ASIO meter at 45% , Win CPU at 11.5%
3 x Stereo tracks, each with 8 KMT's, no group tracks

#3. ASIO meter at 100% , Win CPU at 11%
1 Stereo track, with 8 KMT's, routed to two groups in series, each with 8 KMT's. i.e. a continuous chain of 24 Kramer instances.

So... it appears that running long chains of plugins (i.e. like test #3) is a LOT more ASIO intensive than many short chains of plugins. It is also clear from the Windows Resource Meter that long chains can not be spread between CPU cores as effectively as multiple short chains (Test 1 showed a perfectly even spread between all cores. Test 3 was very uneven with some cores seeing virtually no load at all).
by J-S-Q
Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just ran the DAWbench test using Waves Kramer Master Tape (160 instances) and to my surprise, Windows Resource Monitor showed all cores fully loaded and the overall CPU load up to 98%. I also see the 'Active Core Count' go to 6 (i.e. all cores). This shows it's definitely possible for Cubase to take full advantage of multiple cores.

However, In a typical real world project, my CPU use might be at 50% or less when the ASIO is maxed out. I think it depends a lot on exactly what plugins your are running and/or how things are routed. I've seen it suggested that using lots of group channels and complex routing can add to the ASIO load in Cubase. No idea of this is true but if I find some time I might investigate this as I tend to use quite a lot of groups/routing.

And for anyone who is interested, I kept a record of when I ran the same DAWbench test on my old i7 920 setup and it could run 82 Kramer Tape instances. Bearing in mind that my i7 920 was overclocked by about 50% from stock speed, these results are roughly in line with what one would expect from looking at their 'CPU Mark' benchmark scores.

Cubase.PNG
by J-S-Q
Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Logical editor made me easy life with renaming tracks-Yh

http://i41.tinypic.com/28rms8p.png

Can you show us the preset?
yep ..i forgot about that ;)

in lower section(the target area) where is parameter 1(with the "the long train" string name in my example) u type the name you want to delete or replace.

in parameter 2 i left it empty so it replaces the name by nothing(deletes it actually), if you type a name in parameter 2 that name replaces the name in parameter 1.
by mozizo
Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Logical editor made me easy life with renaming tracks-Yhaooo

just a little thing to share..
i got a project to mix with 100+ Audio tracks and all file names start with the long name of the song following by the actual recorded instrument name !!
oh boy its not possible to identify the tracks cuz only the long name of the song appears on all tracks, i started to delete the songs name on the first 3 tracks, then i just remember that the project logical editor can deal with track names.
i made a simple preset, that deletes the song name from the track(in my case,)..
one click and all tracks left with the actual instrument names !! 8-) cool
by mozizo
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are using halion, padshops, UAD and outboard gear...............................

Ofcourse this setup is going to run perfect.

Come back when you have 10 massives, 1xbattery 4, 5 alchemys, 5 sylenths, 5 gladiators, fabfilter plugins, Melda plugins, active sidechaining, more than 2 send effects, hell more than 2 plugins on every track + long sound design chains and you will see the other side soon enough.

And that other guy using Virtual Guitarist + BFD3...ROFL
Ofcourse the app is perfect for you nubs.
by bugishcompany
Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OP- I have to see this to believe it. Since upgrading to 7.5, I have have numerous crashes(upwards of 20), and a screen that goes completely white during cutting, or moving a piece of audio. AND, now my mono inputs from my Onyx 1640i aren't working(5, 7, 9) for no apparent reason. The Mackie monitors the inputs beautifully, but Cubase, set up the same exec way its been for 5 years, does not receive any signal from these channels(this started 3 days ago.)

I'm not a happy camper.
by sonofnothing
Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@G-string,

Just to be back on topic ;), C7.5 works very well here. I realise, in comparison to many others here, I don't use large numbers (4-7 Omni, Kontakt, Trilian, Massive etc.) of VSTis but do use a lot of hungry VSTeffects, including 2 or 3 instances of Nebula with rather heavy presets. UAD plugs are a huge help.

I've learned to work with my aging machine, and what's funny, I don't feel like I'm missing anything :).

One thing about aging machines (not me!), you get to know them really well, and that makes for a stable system. It's a shame upgrading seems to become necessary sooner or later.

But...different strokes for different folks,

Mauri.
by Mauri
Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: steiny please change gray fonts on gray surfaces !

Perfectly agreed.
This is the only area where colours really matter to me - readability.
All else - I don't care, make it slime green if you want, as long as readability is as perfect as humanly possible.

Even feel free to lay off one of the trend scouts and hire an ergonomics specialist instead. :shock:

If there is a single gold standard for monitor setup in small to mid-sized rooms, it has to be 2 screens @ 1920x1200 atm, 24" to 27", flanked by nearfields, which automatically results in an average viewing distance of 1.10m, 1.20m or something, trigonometrics 101. Do the math.
Everything that cannot be comfortably seen under these conditions needs to be reevaluated and improved, great design always enhances functionality instead of competing.

And colours / contrast should be first, as they certainly are a dead easy, unproblematic fix compared to fonts or element sizes, which might be tricky in some cases I guess.

ymmv,
Rhino
by Rhino
Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I can't record further than bar 12

Have you checked the Project Setup dialog?

The default is quite long but perhaps it's set to something ridiculously short.

I usually set mine to about 7 minutes or so.

According to page 62 in the C7 manual:

General settings for the project are made in the Project Setup dialog. This is opened by selecting “Project Setup…” from the Project menu.

If the “Run Setup on Create New Project” option is activated in the Preferences dialog (General page), the Project Setup dialog will open automatically when you create a new project.

4th box down in the dialog - 'Length'.
by jamusic
Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Matching MIDI to audio

Create a tempo track from the audio by using either:
-The timewarp tool
-Merge tempo from tapping
-The C6 tempo recognition tool

Thank you for your reply.

Of these three what have you found to be the best system? From reading the manual I would guess the C6 tempo recognition tool would be best with just drum tracks.

The tempo tapping tool sounds like a lot of editing for four-minute song.

That leaves time-warp.
So you would set up an approximate MIDI tempo, import it, then apply the time-warp to the MIDI track, leaving the Audio in ... [I get them mixed up sorry 'linear' or 'musical' mode] and align the MIdi visually say on beat one of each bar, then go back over and tidy up the synchronisation for beats two-three four etc or other accents> Does that sound like the right work-flow? Do you normally work this way?
:geek: :?:

I'm interested to hear a way to do this right that isn't a lot of work for a 4 minute song!

For extensive discussion on how to do this, you may want to google search this forum for posts by vic_france and crotchety, throw the words "free-tempo" or similar in there to narrow down the results.

FWIW, I always do what you do - free tempo a keyboard recording, then apply MIDI parts to it. The way I do it is to :

1) Create a tempo map that accurately follows the audio. I do use "Merge Tempo From Tapping" because the automatic tempo detection doesn't work that well for my piano audio, but as you pointed there are other methods. I then tidy up the tempo map with the Time Warp tool so it exactly follows the audio.

2) I then get the audio to play at a fixed tempo, temporarily so I can overdub MIDI. To do this, I apply the "Set Definition From Tempo" tool ( after making the exact tempo map, above!), then deactivate the tempo track and put it at a fixed value, 90 or 93 beats per minute, etc. (i.e., at the tempo that the audio would be at without the nice free-flowing tempo variations). When the song is played back now, the audio plays at a fixed tempo.

3) Now that the audio plays back at a fixed tempo, it is easy-peasy to overdub MIDI parts.

4) Once I'm happy with the MIDI overdubs, I reactivate the tempo track, the audio will go back to its free-flowing tempo, and the MIDI will of course follow it.

Of course, if you don't want tempo variations in the audio, you can stop at step 2 - the audio plays back as if it were recorded to a metronome.

Hope this is helpful!
by alexis
Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SOLVED: C7.5 Start-up Error

Just done an install of C7.5 on new Win 8.1 PC.

Attempting to start Cubase fails with an error at "Initialising Video Player":-

Error: LoadLibrary failed with error 87: The parameter is incorrect

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

James

UPDATE

Seems that the AMD Catalyst Drivers for Windows 8 are missing a registry entry.

When Cubase requests OpenGL access it loads an AMD dynamic link library. This then uses the registry to load the OpenGL component as specified by OpenGLVendorName (64-bit) or OpenGLVendorNameWow (32-bit). Although the code is actually there the registry entry for 64-bit machines is absent.

How to Fix:

Use Notepad to copy and paste the following registry entry into a file and save it with a .reg extension.

Double click the file to "run" it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]
"OpenGLVendorName"=hex(7):61,00,74,00,69,00,6f,00,36,00,61,00,78,00,78,00,2e,\
00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00,61,00,74,00,69,00,6f,00,36,00,61,00,78,00,78,00,\
2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00,00,00

Seems to have solved the issue here. My next challenge is to get a legacy Firewire driver for Win 8.1 to resolve the audio pops and clicks (thanks Microsoft!).
by Jenks
Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 5 projects into 1?

This sounds like a job for Track Archives. (Manual P. 696)
by SteveInChicago
Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic