Search found 25 matches

Return

Great article...Keyboard Player Mag

Wonderful article on the keyboard sound design for Michael Jackson, thought I'd post here
Enjoy
Kenny
http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/mich ... d-now/1668
by kzarider
Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mini The Moog

Congratulations on you purchase it's great to have the real thing can't wait to hear what you do with it!

Back in day I had - Mini, Arp Odyssey, Clav, Rhodes Suitcase and C3 and Emulator2. The Moog we used for Bass it was incredible instrument and never had an issues with it. I personally loved the sound of the ARP and would love to get another one. Unfortunate the truck was stolen with all that gear in it in Miami Fla...worst day of life at that point :cry:

I am blessed today in having XK3C, B3, Dyno Rhodes and a the E2 which wasn't in truck at time. I just bought a Wurly 200 model (206 that's cut down) that needs refurbishing today. I used one on session yesterday and decided that I won't spend another Day w/o one :)
Wurly has got a hum, needs to be regulated (?) and the top octave sticks when pressing the sustain. SHouldn't be to hard to fix though.

Rock on with that Moog!
Kenny
by kzarider
Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mini The Moog

I ended up getting the Kurzweil PC3K8 keyboard, I swore I wasn't going to get another Kurzweil but couldn't pass up the deal I got at the Summer Namm show. I really think it's a great keyboard, very powerful with a steep learning curve...Really easy to set up as control surface for Vienna Ensemble Pro also.

It was very sad (felt like the end of life time lol) but people came out in droves to help us giving us equipment to get back on our feet. It was amazing complete strangers calling/helping even, at that time it made me a different person so as bad as it was I was granted a new look at what it meant to be humane and play it forward.
by kzarider
Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mixing Headphones (Help ?)

I've been using sennheiser for 15 years and never looked back. I currently have the HD595 and I could wear them all day and night (open Back) with no ear fatigue. The bass response is incredible on them, I have tried the 600 series and wow!!! is all i can say. I bet you could find a great set used if shop on ebay or wherever you can find used equipment via trade papers/internet etc. I bought newest set used off ebay for ~$200 USD about 4 years ago. The set I had prior last at least 6 years.

I have other closed backed but I can't mix with those :(
Kenny
by kzarider
Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PC to Mac migration

Sorta off the direct subject matter, I use both platforms and found These programs help tremendously...
MacDrive allows Mac disks to appear like PC disks http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

Also Tuxera http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/ which allow NTFS formated drives on MAC

This will make your migration easier and it won't matter what format your clients use either
by kzarider
Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Song: I Feel Like I'm Flying

Love it, feel like I'm flying are those samples of Oberheim, Jupiter 8, CS80, Prophet 5, or real thing? Love the guitar part also.
enough said gonna finish listening :)
by kzarider
Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: All Of Space: Systole (acoustic song)

fantastic guitar playing on this. I too loved the vocals...their placement in stereo field was great and so was reverb setting, gave it real warmth without being to much.Cool ending!
by kzarider
Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Song: I Feel Like I'm Flying

Love it, feel like I'm flying are those samples of Oberheim, Jupiter 8, CS80, Prophet 5, or real thing? Love the guitar part also.
enough said gonna finish listening :)
by kzarider
Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lake of Tears

Well done the only real criticism I have is the mushy reverb or room sound you are using. Maybe just to much of it or the EQ on it is wrong. Makes the Piano sound fake or far away and as the Piano is lead instrument it should be center of focus to me.

Just something to think about.
Kenny
by kzarider
Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Simple Way featuring Wim on Sax

I posted this a long time ago but finally got around to finishing it, I added guitarist friend and musical partner Denny Jiosa to it. He didn't play to much but I think it added the final SIMPLE touches.

Wim do you remember playing on this tune I wrote as tribute to the great Dave Brubeck? Love the contribution you made here!
Hopeful the mix is okay lol please share anything you hear
Kenny
https://soundcloud.com/zkeys-music/simple-way
by kzarider
Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Jing & I" -Post Apocalyptic Mix

Another great work, the strings and instrumentation just support beautifully. I won't beat drum about vocal EQ but I may agree about the lack of intimacy of it's sound especially at start. Not sure what your thought was as I know you always have a reason :)
by kzarider
Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I finally got back on the site! And I got some new music

I loved reading how you practiced for weeks on Diaphanous! That should be an inspiration to everyone here. The PRS sounds great, I have come to love and recognize the sounds of Pauls GTRs. Great track and I hope to listen to the rest later today.
by kzarider
Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If The Light Is On

Been a while since I've posted but I have recorded a lot of stuff recently. Hope I will be able to post some soon from a Latin Rock album we are doing. This song features some good friends and was my only contribution (writing wise) to project. We did everything in one pass and limited ourselves to no overdubs lol. I wish I had used a virtual piano instead of the beat up upright where we recorded but oh well :( Guitarist mixed this one
Kenny Zarider-Piano Composer, Scott Goudeau - Guitar, Jon von Boehm- Bass, Robert Harsen-Drums, Chris West - Sax Recorded at Brown Owl Studio no overdubs...an old upright Piano, Gretsch drums, Selmer Sax, Whatever Jon is playing bass on :) (phil Jones amps) Scott plays Gibson

https://soundcloud.com/zkeys-music/if-the-light-is-on
by kzarider
Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Iro: Track Color Pack for Cubase

thanks so much!!! Great post
by kzarider
Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tune Up Utilities

I use a Vintage Conn Strobe tuner lol (its for sale)

In reality if you ever need help though I can log into your desktop and give it a go. A great utility for cleaning registry is RegCure PRO. (make sure you use pro) I would stay away from the AVG stuff (it gives to many false reading) and never make changes to reg without creating disk image. I use Acronis for this, I also have it set to do backup once a day of all changes. Also a great cloud one that I have used is CrashPlan http://www.code42.com/crashplan/ It works for both PC and Mac and has unlimited storage and great support
by kzarider
Sun May 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blue Yeti Pro Mic (MUTE?)

Was this a new purchase or used?

Most stores in USA offer a 30 day return for items that don't function as expected You could always contact (even call them if you don't mind the charges) I know they make good products and may have a solution for you. http://bluemic.com/salesandsupport/servicerequest.php
Kenny
by kzarider
Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SO many store here allow you to buy product and if it isn't what you expected return it within 30 days. Sweetwater is great about this... Do they do that there? If so get it and if you hate it send it back :) I have a great sales person at Sweetwater if you need any advice at all. TJ has stopped me from making the wrong purchase on more than one occasion
In home studio I use MR816CSX and Motu 8 pre with Optical connections. I have 16 mic or 1/4in that way and never have to swap cords etc. Its a nice setup that didn't cost to much as I got good deals on used stuff.

I have this soundcard for laptop, it is wonderful and very portable. But I am thinking of going thunderbolt with one below it. If I switch setups I will sell the track 16. I like the Motu drivers better than Steinberg and also the mixer is flawless with great effects. I like the pre on the 816 a little better, but when I am mixing I use MOTU because for me it never will hiccup.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Track16/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/828x
by kzarider
Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Of course you didn't. Pro audio people don't use mutes on microphones. Only amateurs do. No offense.
Dipmcus,

So you mean that the Blue Yeti Mic is an amateur microphone? The people I saw using it seemed very much to be professionals to me?

Paul

I would say probably they are not pro audio people. They may be doing podcasts, not professional audio. There is a difference.
Technology is constantly changing, mic diaphragms once unique to specific manufacturer are being cloned accurately. I got a ribbon mic from Namm show for $200 that a/b very well with a $800 high end mic. We ended up using both on guitars for a great sound. That Yeti surprisingly gets some great reviews and might serve his needs but not yours well. Will it replace a Neumann - Earthworks - SHure KSM etc absolutely not but no one Mic does it all does it? It should also be great for voice overs which is his general purpose I think, also the price is right
by kzarider
Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This is Love

Nicely written track! I like the Piano sound you are getting now. I would only criticize the harshness in high end of mix ( very digital sounding) and possibly over use of compressor on gtr solo.

The piano part during Guitar solo is way to busy my ears are being pulled in to many directions. I would suggest block power cords of some sort and just let the lead and drums do the work there...simplify lol
You're productions have come so far!!!
Kenny
by kzarider
Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Album #14

Incredible, 14!!! So I can imagine the kids saying can Ian come out and play...No, cause we've locked him in the basement recording again :)
Inspirational-Congratulations!
Kenny
by kzarider
Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Raw live demo recordings ( fem vox pop \ rock ~ soul-blu

There is a bit to of work need to do a valid live recording including live stage mic placement to get proper balances between instruments etc. There is a low rumble even in headphones that can be easily fixed. That being said the playing and really nice and the Vocalist has a style that fits the music and I really enjoy her.

Looking forward to hearing more as you step up your game
Kenny
by kzarider
Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ditty For Wilko

GREAT TRACK! Very tight in low end, great mastering the guitars are marvelous! Also love how you treated the vocals
Killer stuff!
Kenny
by kzarider
Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Music] Dead In The Middle

Excellent recording and mix! All has been said already in other comments, I had been looking at the FMR RNP and wondering how effective it was. Price is really great and it sounds very uncolored and clean. Do you use on Vocals also?
by kzarider
Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: John Legend + Others Artists: A Place Called World

Well done, tell me more about how you put this together and the rappers you used. Are they your artist? Would love to discuss in future a Latin rock project I am doing with a 5 time grammy nominated artist which needs a great bi lingual vocalist.
Where are you located?
Kenny
by kzarider
Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Problem with ADAT optical

Fabio Bartolini wrote:You've got PM!

Fabio, you are the greatest!!! Thanks for the personal service, your service in Europe and Germany rocks!
All is working now!
Kenny
by kzarider
Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic