Search found 66 matches

Return

Help Required

I realise this is not Cubase related - but I figured posting here would help maximise exposure.

http://www.kvraudio.com/focus/something-important-24298
by wodehouse
Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blank GUI Central

whenever i start having similar issues, i would blame RAM usage getting too high. i've tried looking up which dll's use up the most memory, and bridging those with jbridge as separate processes in memory, and i've had some success doing that..

Thanks, Lukas.

Yes, the problem is indeed due to RAM usage getting too high.

Yeah, I'm almost certain J-Bridging would stave off the issue for a while.

I might consider it, after all. Not sure yet.

Can you use J-Bridge with 64-bit versions of the plugins? If so, I might try it.

Yes, you can.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Set Definition from Tempo Confusion

I'm trying to drop a reference song (at about 127 bpm) into my 125 bpm project.

I want the reference song to be tempo adjusted and locked to the 125 bpm project.

I followed Greg Ondo's excellent tutorial on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13UP4lrYkg

1) Select the reference song track and choose Project -> Tempo Detection...
2) Change time signature from its default set 1/4 to 4/4.
3) Select the track and choose Audio -> Advanced -> Set Definition from Tempo...

Now Cubase changes its tempo to match the Tempo Track based on the variations in the reference song.

Great.

Now to have it do the opposite, warp the reference song to match a fixed tempo, I should only have to remove the data on the Tempo Track, or deactivate the Tempo Track. Right?

So I do that.

Either way, while the reference song now does indeed lock to the fixed tempo as it should, the rest of my tracks are somehow offbeat, not looping correctly, etc.

How is this possible?

This doesn't make sense because the tempo, at this point, is fixed and is the same tempo as when they were playing back fine. Some tracks, like MIDI drum machines, seem to play back the same as they did before the Set Def. from Tempo, but other VSTi's (some frozen, some not) do not play like they originally did.

Again, same fixed tempo as before I started all this. So nothing, for them, should have changed, right?

Only that one reference song that I applied the Set Def. from Tempo on should be affected by all this, correct?

Hi Jalcide - Not in front of DAW, and didn't watch vid, but may be helpful to a) put all MIDI tracks in linear time base (the clock icon, rather than the yellow/orange quarter note icon), and to make sure all the OTHER audio tracks are not set to Musical Mode.

(PS Would consider working on a dummy renamed version of the project, sometimes it gets too crazy to get back to where you started if things don't go right!)
by alexis
Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is the difference between Group and FX tracks?

Basically the same, except:
a) An insert can be specified during creation of an FX track.
b) The channel is named with the chosen insert effect.
c) FX are added to the FX folder when created.
d) Groups are added to the Group folder when created.
c) They are classed differently for visibility in mixconsoles. For example, you can show/hide ALL the FX channels separately from the group channels, and vice versa.

If these differences don't mean much to you, because you name all tracks explicitly and you put your group/FX tracks in different places according to your visual routing association needs, you will probably be able to forget about using FX, in favour of using only groups. That way, you can build up a routing hierarchy and just insert FX in whichever group suits your purpose.
by Patanjali
Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Still no bezier curves in automation!!!!!

All joking aside, this -is- a drag. Like it or not, the world has gone EDM and if you do electronica of any kind you GOTTA be able to -easily- and -precisely- draw complex patterns.

I've been struggling (literally) for months with a vocoder effect in Reaktor where I want to modulate a formant filter to make various 'syllables' really POP on certain bars/beats.

What I -want- should be easy as pie: imagine a sine wave pattern that is itself modulated by a square wave.

Now... try -drawing- that in Cubase. Can it be done? Sure. You can also break out of Shawshank in 19 years.

Electronica lives and dies by creating complex automation like this and without precise drawing tools it's a total pain. You can have all the new synths in the world, but good automation is what makes it -interesting-.
by suntower
Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Still no bezier curves in automation!!!!!

Agreed, we need more automation curves.

But instead steinberg has given EDM producers DJ- EQ and Loopmash, which shows they have no clue what EDM producers need :lol:
by patcub
Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

16 inserts per track

What is with keeping to 8 inserts, it's like insisting on wearing flared trousers in the 80's.

Please get a grip and at the very least add two more, be brave and allow 12 or go all out modern and give us 16.

Seriously 8 inserts is completely backward, disrupts workflow and is not a technical limit and would probably take 5 mins to re-code.

This should be in the next minor release version!

Treat us like professionals!
by ControlX2012
Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 4 significant Cubase 8 issues I'm seeing

My only gripe is that the new font means that the thinnest track height available is now considerably wider. This definitely needs addressing if it's the case (could be wrong), I'll be experimenting more later.

The new font is excessively large and bold. The font style itself looks like something from a comic book rather than what you would find in professional software.
by Greg Houston
Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CMC not fully supported in Cubase 8 !!

I just tested in 7.5 and it functions the exact same way: Arrange window needs focus.

May I humbly suggest, in good fairness, that you consider putting a [Solved] in front of the title. :)

Let's save our CMC abandonment anxiety wrath (for now) and hope that by the time our pitchforks and torches and sharpened and lit, we'll be on Cubase Pro 22, where the preferred method of input is holographic gesture and thought-control. :lol:

Granted. I'll check this later and place [Solved] in title for now. I don't recall it ever not working as expected in 7.5, but if it's good for you guys then I'm very grateful for the heads-up.

I wander if this is the same reason for the similar issue in this topic ?

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=230&t=69728

Freddie - all the lighting looks fine to me.
Hope that helps.

On the thought control, I hope any neighbours don't have 'louder' thoughts than us. The interference is bound to be an issue :-)

You are right though. I'm just deeply deeply upset that Steinberg dropped these units exactly at the point I bought into them and 'realised' they were genius ! I'm now terrifed of getting really fluent with them and then losing functionality. It's a real shame. I recommended them to countless studios and colleagues. Having sets of controls I can litter around the studio where I want them without having to have them all stuck together in one big ugly unit is a Godsend.

Please bring them back into the fold Steiny. They really are brilliant !
by Potential - o- meter
Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bug? Or Designed by Mephistopheles?

^^ 100 times this.
by MickGael
Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Minimize Bug? Or Designed by Mephistopheles?

You are right: title edited. :D
by MickGael
Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UI: Consistency

Harshness in the criticism - like in this post - is the main reason why it's hard to get Steinberg to notice any posts. Think about it.
by sonic74
Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi there,

yes, this issue will be fixed on the first maintenance update. It probably won't be 100% perfect yet, but it will behave much better than it does now. We are preparing a quick fix for some of the most urgent issues for you to have ASAP, but the improvements will continue throughout the whole Cubase 8.0 life cycle.

Stay tuned!

Regards
by Luis Dongo
Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Does SB Understand Customers' Needs for VSTi MIDI Sends?

OK, it appears (and happily so) that one can render-in-place MIDI parts in MIDI tracks, not just MIDI parts of instrument tracks as is stated in the documentation. This is demonstrated in an SB video (thanks, Mr. Ondo) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WHRWaufmoU&index=3&list=UUAv0mI6kHe7uqohgOiS2lQg

That'll teach me to read (and believe) the documentation!

That said, there's still a compelling case to be made for MIDI sends in instrument tracks.
by dmbaer
Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UI: Consistency

+1

I don't mean this in an aggressive way at all, but Pro Tools 11 gets more and more attractive from a GUI perspective (it's very professional-looking and very consistent, with just as many functions), as Cubase gets more fuzzy and inconsistent and illegible.
by Headlands
Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Heres How get rid of the glow fonts in aero

To disable the glow on a Win7 Pro in Control Panel >System>Advanced System Settings > Performance > Settings > Visual Effects >Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop.

It may switch back to classic on clicking, simple un-cklick it and reselect your saved (minimalistic) areo theme.

Don't forget to turn off transparency and in the customize windows look and feel box, also set your desktop to a dark colour, (or any of your choice) but, loads of colour pictures etc as a desktop do take up CPU cycles to maintain in the backround. click on all the borders and ensure there are not two col ours bleeding in any of the options, If there is just set colour 1 and 2 to the same.

Click and apply and there you have, no glowing fonts in areo!

Hope this of help to people like me who don't like the glowing fonts!
by Outsounder
Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ASIO Guard 2 Hiccups, Loud Stuttering Noise, Reboot Requ

Maybe it's a particular plugin... Test it by disabling thru your plugin manager the Asio Guard for the single vst.
by lordadb
Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Declutter/Clarify Mix Console Channel Selection Hitarea

I agree for the most part.

But for this:
Or I click in the Fader area, forgetting that for some reason it doesn't select the channel either, but instead moves the fader (with no Undo!), even though the fader, itself, wasn't clicked on.
It may help to set the Fader behaviour from, Jump to Touch, in the Preferences (should be the default, but for some strange reason, isn't).
Then you can click in the fader area.

PS. The first thing I do for every Cubase/Nuendo installation ;)

Hope this helps a tiny bit :)
by TSR
Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you had asked me before the release of Cubase 8 if it was possible to make windows management in Cubase on the Windows platform even worse, I would have said that it couldn't be done. Well, I was wrong. Steinberg has managed to make the program even more cumbersome, inconsistent, and counter-intuitive (at least in terms of the UI). Well done, Steinberg.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I got a warning from the board Admin for posting something similar... he objected to my use of the term 'bug'... but what else can you call this?
It's not a bug, it's a feature. :)
Seriously though, Steinberg's made the quirkiest window management and menu bar I've seen, ever.
I like a lot of the new features, like VCA's (a feature I requested years ago), but the window management should never have been released in the state that it's in. If I wanted to be a beta tester I would have applied for it, not paid for it. :)
by Shortstop
Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Poll: How many actually use the Cubase EQs?

I am wondering this because, as a rule, I swore off Cubase EQs as soon as UAD came out in 2000 (or '99, or whenever), because, back in the day-with Cubase VST 4 and 5-the EQs and reverbs, etc. were so universally despised, and UAD was clearly so superior, so I just switched and never looked back.

But lately, with Cubase having gone through so many obvious improvements I am now wondering if the EQ section deserves another look from me (I have already changed my tune with Steinberg's reverbs: Reverence is beautifully sounding IMO.)

So, I'm wondering what everyone else out there does? Who uses what?
by FunkyMunky
Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Appealing to Steinberg to keep the CMC current viable?

Do threads which express the desire to keep something such as the CMC series viable have any chance of making a difference? I hesitate to make this such a thread because if only 10 or twenty people give the thumbs up, that would probably kill any opportunity for continued product support.....

Oh well, thumbs up here at least...........
by electrow
Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: update or replace motherboard?

thank you for your help guy's..
by shadowfax
Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What is threshold to trigger a clone?

I know to back up (create those proprietary files in Paragon) after every session.

But what are people's thoughts on how much it should take to trigger making a bit-for-bit clone? For example, before each weekly Windows update? Before installing a new UAD plug-in? Every 'X' days just because?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
by alexis
Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase8.exe Still Running After Quit, Multiple Times

Try turning your soundcard off and on again. Sometimes the driver doesn't release the cubase process...

It happens to me all the time. In case of a crash or a failure to exit the program, turning it off and on again, fixes it all!
by MaXxive
Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8 Pro was not ready for public release

I concur.

Whilst I'm loving a lot of new features, the fact it crashes every time I try and bounce anything made in the previous version is beyond annoying. I'd had no issues with previous updates, and only installed as was supposed to be having a bit of a break over xmas, but I'm in the middle of finishing demos for an album, and was really excited about finishing it with some of the new tricks in Cubase 8, but it's become apparent that's highly unlikely.

I may have to try the fresh install idea, but considering my machine has only ever had Cubase, Ableton, Soundforge and Audiomulch installed on it, with no internet connection, it's one of the most basic setups I've seen, without years of messed up registry to complicate matters, I'm not convinced that would help as much.

I've established that big projects run better if I load a small cubase file first. The makers of my PC have also suggested that a lot of issues are in the graphics card, (Steinberg have really stitched people up by making something far more suited to an unreleased OS), and recommended upgrading the graphics cards to something like the new AMD Radeon R7 (min 260 version), but I've seen people with similar cards complaining that they could only gain a stable system by removing these cards and just using basic graphics from the motherboard.

Would definitely be interested in peoples thoughts on this. I want to love this software so much, but when your management and label are telling you to go back to the older version cause you're *quiz* off 24/7 and haven't submitted any music for a month, there's definitely something up!
by Phaeleh
Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8 Pro was not ready for public release

All the early buyers just have a software form of G.A.S. ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome ) :)
by Paul Bryce
Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: At my wits end with vst performance...please help guys

@Jalcide,

Presumably, tuning ASIO Guard off will disable the dual buffer setup, and put everything on an equal basis?

If so, if what you write is true, the issue should disappear. Of course, capacity might be reduced.
by Patanjali
Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase Caught Red-handed

Sounds like this should be set to music..........Oh but you can't.
by silhouette
Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase Caught Red-handed

silouette rofl .. btw do you have a paper towel to clean the coffee off i spewed on my computer screen?
thanx for the great humour first thing on a saturday morning. starting the day with a howl is a great thing

cheers
by DLearyUS
Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [BON-7409]Cubase 8.0 Render In Place crash

Hello,

We seem to have a breakthrough regarding this bug.
The Channel name will be used as the name for the rendered file. VEP uses slashes "/" (e.g. "Outputs 3/4") which lead to invalid filenames and the crash happens when writing to a non-exisiting file.
With channels without / or other weird characters Cubase Pro 8 doesn't crash.

Best regards,
GN
by Guillermo
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[BON-7848] 8.0.5 Breaks Z-Order Recall of Plugins

The reference number for this is BON-7848.
I'm waiting for the review to add this to the OP, in case it gets assigned to a different project or there is a linked main issue.

[EDIT: Issue number confirmed and added to the title, thread moved to Collected Issues]

Best,
by Fabio Bartolini
Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8.0.5 Breaks Z-Order Recall of Plugins on Project Load

I can confirm this on Windows 7. Looks like the instances you have opened are recalled sequentially (following the channel order) and that the Z-Order reflects this.
by Fabio Bartolini
Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are welcome. I could analyse your dumps, surely I still have some regarding that issue to check against yours.
by Fabio Bartolini
Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hello,

might be the issue discussed in these posts / threads:
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=32693&p=331096#p331096
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=57600#p348363

Regards,
by Fabio Bartolini
Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EDM Producers: what is Cubase lacking most for you?

All this stuff is really useful for Indie rock drum overheads as well... 8-)

+1

Benji
by islandmusicpro
Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

EDM Producers: what is Cubase lacking most for you?

what is Cubase lacking most for you and which DAW is a positive reference about it, and why?
please be as objective has you can. I ask this because i am not sure if cubase is that much oriented for EDM and seems slow to adapt to EDM needs and so i assume EDM producers is not a big focus on Steinberg Strategy and so i don't know if i am in the right DAW.

IMO: Automation is too simplistic in cubase (specially everything that is related with the Y Axis of automation), a good reference is FL Studio which creates automation parts with it's own editor and has formula controller to relate/ modulate different knobs the way we want. I don't remember how it deals with the Y Axis because i have used it like 12 years ago, so it might not be a good reference.
by estrica2000
Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Auto LFO question

One very interesting (positive ;) ) side effect of setting up the above, is that of course this can be used to pilot Track Quick Controls via the MIDI track itself (with or without Auto LFO or any other MIDI Insert ;) ). If you set the MIDI track's input to the source that you normally use to remote control Track Quick Controls anyways, you can record your fader/knob movements, just like any other MIDI data, (and edit it ;) ), and the result will pilot the Quick Controls slots that are set to respond to the corresponding CC#s, in this instance, not using the more normal Write/Read automation ;).
by vic_france
Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cubase Pro 8.0.10 maintenance release planned for March

Hello all,

I would like to inform you that the next Cubase 8 update (8.0.10) has been delayed it will now be released in the middle of March. This update addresses issues with the pre-count and metronome click, resolves issues using Mackie Control remotes and improves stability using third-party plug-ins. A complete list of fixes will be announced at the date of availability.

Best regards,
GN
by Guillermo
Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: does cubase 8 has sample accurate automation?

Also the term "sample accurate" is a bit of a misnomer. When folks use the term they are using it to describe the precision of the automation and not really the accuracy.

Imagine we have automation that has a data point at every sample point. Then the precision of your automation would be the same as your sample rate. Now if you playback and read that automation and each automation data point is located exactly where it was when the automation was written (i.e the automation data point occurs at exactly the same time as the sample data point that was playing at the time of writing the automation). If that occurs then your accuracy will be 100%. But lets imagine that the automation data point occurs a full second after (or before) its corresponding sample data point. In that case the accuracy sucks even though your precision is still at the sample rate.

Here's a second scenario. Your automation only has one data point for every 1,000 samples - so it a thousand times less precise. But if each automation data point occurs exactly at the same time as its corresponding sample data point, then it too has an accuracy of 100% even though the precision is different. And likewise if it is late or early by a second the accuracy is just as bad as in the first scenario.

Now in the real world you can never get 100% accurate, so the real issue is how off can you be before you can hear the difference. If the automation data point is late by 10, 20, or 30 sample data points it is still so close you can't hear the difference. But as you increase that number you eventually will be able to hear that difference. That is the number that is important - lets call it the significant delay (and it could be a positive or negative value). It describes how inaccurate it can be before it matters. I don't know what that amount is, but I'm sure it has been studied and expect Steinberg to have read the material (but who knows).

If the inaccuracy is less than this significant delay it will sound like it is 100% accurate even though it isn't. Additionally there is also the issue of drift. If this delay was consistently off by a constant amount the software could compensate for it. But if it is sometimes drifts off by 2,000 samples and other times by 10,000 that can cause a whole new layer of problems because some automation data points delay might be less than the significant delay and others greater than it. When that happens your automation will never sound consistent, it will vary on different playbacks.

Finally the reason you might not want sample precise automation data is it is going to generate a lot of unnecessary data points. Processing these in turn will consume more of your computing resources, most of it wasted. This in turn leads to lower track, plug-in counts, etc. because you run out of resources sooner. Increasing the precision beyond what is needed can actually reduce the accuracy because of processing delays that occur because of the excess computing load.
by raino
Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi,

indeed - doesn't look like the issue I pointed to. Never seen that with Waves (I use the SSL Bundle plus some single plugs pretty often). I'm pretty surprised by your report about Spectral, silhouette, don't have problems with any Linplug software, except a crash in Pro 8 with Albino 3 that went away with their latest build.

Jalcide, I will keep an eye out for your report from the US guys. Looks more and more like a leak.
Feel free to PM me as well.
by Fabio Bartolini
Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jalcide I can appreciate your issues and frustration having spent nearly two weeks fettling a new computer.

I do have a few questions?
Are you using VST3 plugins?
Are you using 32 bit plugins?
Are you maxing (or close to) your memory?

I know that u-he has recommended for the time being that only the VST2 plugins be used. There was a long post on KVR about the difficulty they had writing the code for VST3. I have heard talk that some developers have not written the graphics coding as well as they could.

I am having an issue with Positive Grid's Bias. All I get is the image of the plugin with the rotating wheel of death - no crash but the plugin works, but I cannot edit. I get a half blank screen with Linplug's Spectral - although if I toggle the GUI on and off it sometimes comes back.

The memory issue was one that affected me and the reason for upgrading my computer. I was getting a lot of blank GUI's on some of my larger projects. Just a thought.Bear in mind that a 12 gig project also has to deal with system memory etc.

I don't run any 32 bit plugins now as they only work with JBridge - and I can't be bothered.

With regard to moving to a new DAW I guess it is a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. My feeling is that you will only exchange one set of issues for another. Steinberg will get this right eventually and Cubase will be all the better for it. I have tried a number of other DAWS and not been that impressed to be honest. Funnily the one I hated most was Logic when helping a friend with an project followed closely by Pro Tools which has probably the most uninspiring GUI I have ever seen.
by silhouette
Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Workarounds for Lack of Proper Automation in Cubase 8

Wouldn't insering and sidechaining cb8's own envelope shaper to a suitable beat do the same trick? You can shape the attack and delay as the gate is opened and closed.
by PeppaPig
Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I presume Render In Place would achieve that too.
by PeppaPig
Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not a solution for your exact situation as such but when I have very time critical automation, I will bounce the session at a buffer setting of 32, even if the project will not actually play live at anything close to that setting. Sure, you might not be able to audition live at this setting, and the bounce might take a little while but it gets the automation very close to sample accurate and I'd think in 99% of situations, the difference would be inaudible.
by J-S-Q
Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cubase Pro-Cubase Artist 8.0.10 maintenance update available

Dear Cubase 8 users,

We are happy to announce the availability of the 8.0.10 maintenance updates for Cubase Pro 8 and Cubase Artist 8! These updates are a free download and fully supported (please see the bottom of this post for links).

This update resolves 50 issues, including metronome click problems, Mackie Control remote issues and 3rd party plug-in issues. To find out what has been fixed in Detail, please head over to this knowledgebase article .

The 8.0.10 Updaters are available here:

Cubase Pro 8 downloads
Cubase Artist 8 downloads

Thanks for choosing Cubase!

Helge Vogt - Team Leader Product Marketing Group
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
by Helge Vogt
Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

8.0.10 is here

So, we now have a working metronome, and other things... \0/
by Steve Helstrip
Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

8.0.10 Important Heads-up

For those serious enough to read manuals it should interest you to know that the Operation Manual has been revised with the 8.0.10 update release!

Sections have been added.

There are a whopping 9 pages more in the new version, though admittedly some of this is due to poor editing (misplaced page breaks), there is some new material.

So don't forget to update your PDFs if you have them stored in other folders or on other devices (readers etc.).
I expect the files in the installation folders will be automatically replaced.
;)
by BriHar
Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8.0.10 is here

Oh great... this hasn't been fixed: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=231&t=75763

Did they "forget" about restoring this once properly working thing...?

:evil:

This highlights the point I was trying to make. The date on the confirmed issue is Feb 21 2015. The date of the build is Feb 22 2015. :lol:

It's not getting fixed in a day from being assigned to a developer, much less being confirmed on the public-facing forum.

This is why I think it's good for Steinberg to continue the good practice of keeping the Collected Issues forum up to date.

Why waste valuable criticism airtime on bugs not humanly possible to fix, in such a short time, when there are so many other bugs and features that deserve the spotlight that have been outstanding for years.

We Cubase users need to pick our battles (of which items to vote for), or risk winning none of them.

I don't trust Steinberg, alone, in these decisions. I think they've somewhat lost touch with what users want.

The focused, relentlessness of Bounce In Place requests is a good example of this user forum finally providing a undisputed vote for something.

I'm confident it was the forum, because the feature is missing way too many details and sub-features to have been purely Steinberg-desired (they'd have done it earlier and/or spent more time on it). They felt the heat to bring the feature into the v8 development cycle, because of us.

They do listen when something rises above the noisefloor.

I see your point and I agree. However, this "Zoom while locating in time scale" checkbox is a dead simple workflow thing that has been working properly since Cubase SX2. Since 8.0.0 it's broken, and after two updates it is still broken. It is an obvious case of pure negligence and sloppiness.

EDIT: It does however make sense that it hasn't yet been fixed, given that the build apparently is dated Jan 22 and the issue was confirmed at a later date.
by adunion
Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8.0.10 is here

Oh great... this hasn't been fixed: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=231&t=75763

Did they "forget" about restoring this once properly working thing...?

:evil:

This highlights the point I was trying to make. The date on the confirmed issue is Feb 21 2015. The date of the build is Feb 22 2015. :lol:

It's not getting fixed in a day from being assigned to a developer, much less being confirmed on the public-facing forum.

This is why I think it's good for Steinberg to continue the good practice of keeping the Collected Issues forum up to date.

Why waste valuable criticism airtime on bugs not humanly possible to fix, in such a short time, when there are so many other bugs and features that deserve the spotlight that have been outstanding for years.
And you're 'laughing-out-loud' at what exactly..? The build date on my machine for the v8.0.10 update reads JANUARY 22 2015. A month before the issue was confirmed. And, as Steve already said, he'd responded in that thread anyway - that it wouldn't make the 8.0.10 release.
by Puma0382
Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Daft question about C drive recovery

thanks jalcide, really appreciate you taking the time to give me this info..Kevin :)
by shadowfax
Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [DUPE]Any Freeze Crashes Cubase When Other Tracks are Di

Hello,

Toronja wrote:The problem is still in 8.0.10 (OSX)...

That is why it hasn't been moved to the solved issues forum.
It will be fixed on Cubase Pro 8.0.20

Best regards,
GN
by Guillermo
Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [DUPE]Any Freeze Crashes Cubase When Other Tracks are Di

The problem is still in 8.0.10 (OSX)...
by Toronja
Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8.0.10 Default Crossfade still not fixed

Hi guys,

we've heard you. As always I can't promise anything (because a lot can happen between today and the day the next update is released) but it certainly looks promising to get fixed for the next version. Fingers crossed!

All the best
by Luis Dongo
Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Setting up multiple MIDI input/outputs

I would suggest using the Input Transformer function of Cubase. You can use the Input Transformer on each channel to filter out the MIDI channels you do not want to record on that MIDI. You will also need to set your MIDI keyboard to transmit only on the desired MIDI channel. This feature is discussed starting on page 450 of the C6 manual in case you need more background information on it.

If your goal is to record each patch in Trilian as a separate output, I would suggest either activating multiple outputs from the VST Instruments panel for Trilian, then routing each patch within Trilian to the desired out. Or, you could load as VST Instrument tracks and load each separate patch. I hope this information is helpful
by Chris Dobbs
Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why is remixing with vocals so difficult i Cubase?

Okey, heres my issue regarding Cubase 8!

I've been asked to remix a song with vocals. The original song has a tempo 93bpm. I want the vocals to be right around 98bpm. In Cubase that seems to be quite difficult. I've searched the interweb for more in depth information, but that seems to me, nearly impossible task for cubase to do. Even trying t sync the vocals to 93bpm(the original bpm of the vocals) is a heavy duty job. Cutting up the vocal track, lining everything up...What to do?
Even when I try to go trough 3min of vocals, adding hitpoints, so I can change the tempo in Sample editor, but that didn't help. I even came across a bug(or at least I think it's a bug). When you ty to timestretch cubase stops working properly. Midi will not play, cursor stops moving when pushing play...

Can somebody please help? I have struggled with this matter for some time, tried ableton last night at my freinds studio. Added the vocals and Ableton timestrtched it perfectly within a couple of seconds.

Insert tempo at original bpm.Double click on the vocal track you want to change tempo open wav editor.Enable musical mode and be sure that you enter the original time (93 bpm in your case) in the editor.
Close editor and be sure its aligned at this stage.Then change tempo adn then vocals track will change and stay alligned.
Hope you sort it out.
by pliktro
Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can someone explain to me how to backup to cloud or loca

Thank you Jalcide. You are absolutely correct. Going to buy another HDD tomorrow. No sense taking any chances...
by jimmys69
Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ETA on 8.0.20?

The maintenance update 8.0.10 was just released around 3 and a half weeks ago. The short answer is, not yet.
by Felipe Garcia
Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I guess you're too busy working on Cubase 9 ;-)

Hey there, sadly I haven't heard anything about a Cubase 9 yet. Sorry.

No disrespect but, I hate these kind of answers. You make it sound like a release every 3.5 weeks would be too often. These are expected maintenance releases to fix stuff that was messed up in the original release. Not "full blown" new releases.

I've said it before... weekly maintenance releases should be doable. In the Steinberg CB engineering office... whatever got fixed last week test it this week and, if acceptable, release it. The result... :D customers.

Users can then choose to update their software weekly or wait for whenever they want to do it.

I'm on a day off, hence the short answer. Sorry if I was missunderstood. I preferred not to speculate before having a solid clue about it. There is nothing wrong with expecting the following maintenance update to be released soon IMO, but on the contrary.

Steinberg: Can you at least tell us if it's done and in beta?

Update: Steinberg is working on the next maintenance update, but until it's ready I can't specify which features are included or what has been fixed with it. The beta testers can access the latest builds through the corresponding official beta channels at anytime, where applicable.

Have a nice weekend guys. All the best,
by Felipe Garcia
Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It depends. An update patch is usually closed before the release and undergoes a verification 'cool-down' period (this was particularly long for 8.0.10).

During this period the patch is usually not modified - still, it can be re-opened and the release can even be postponed. This is a rare occurrence, as when a version is closed the next one is already being developed - so if an issue is found at that stage, it will make it to the Issues & Solutions doc rather than block the release (unless a show-stopper or something serious yet not needing a long time to be fixed and tested).

[Edit: the sentence in parenthesis was incorrect, fixed ]
by Fabio Bartolini
Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Incredible. Cubase 5.5 is more retina-compatible than Pr

That "retina" math, and the artificial constraint Apple put on it, is ironically fighting against the good intentions Apple started with. While others are pushing the DPI number UP, Apple is keeping it DOWN (to meet bare minimum "Retina" math).
Once you get past about 400-500 DPI, even non-crisp fonts can look crisp (the good thing we want). So, it will be a race between the "enemy" Samsung and others to force Apple (on raw spec. competition) to up their DPI.
The whole 'retina' scam totally ignored that in print 600dpi looks better than 300dpi for text, lines and any other scenario where there are abrupt colour changes. That 300dpi is easily 'retina' to begin with.

Scalable fonts require extra resolution to have pixels that are 'in-between' colours to fill in oblique lines, so that when viewed from a distance where the individual pixels CANNOT possibly be resolved, the lines look smooth.

In other words, it is NOT enough to be JUST out of pixel resolution, but substantially better than it.

I had a Note 2, which at 1280x800 was 'retina' at the distances I viewed it, but the Note 3, at 1920x1080 looked noticeably better, especially for small text.

The real problem is that the screens that most people look at programs like Cubase on, are nowhere near a high enough resolution to be able to show small scalable fonts properly. They are OK for pixel optimised fonts, but run an LCD screen at anything other than their native resolution, and those look terrible as well.

Screens that are just making 'retina' are good at showing things like pictures, where there are not abrupt colour changes from pixel to pixel, so linear interpolative re-rendering has enough pixels over which to work, but dramatically fall down with lines and text which do, so a totally different re-rendering mechanism (the extra partial fill pixels above) is required.
by Patanjali
Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Instrument Rack too big?

Is it just me or ... :shock:

Why does the "new" Instrument Rack / MediaBay or just the floating Instrument Rack thingie take up about
1/4
of my 27" screen?

There's huge amounts of "white space", not THAT many buttons and there's nothing I can do to hide all the little buttons and settings that I don't need to see for all VSTi:s all at once? Is this good UI/UX design? What got better when the Instrument Rack was resized? I'd be happy with a little read only display for each VSTi loaded and show/hide button for changing settings for whatever VSTi I'm editing. I can't edit more than one simultaneously anyway.
by HowlingUlf
Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Instrument Rack too big?

I agree 100%. It's something that they should look to other platforms for inspiration, such as the very clean, professional, and highly useful GUI of Pro Tools, as well as the newest Sonar (which to me is, overall, the best GUI of any DAW), etc.

+1

Its use of space is poorly considered for the new docking feature.

And in general, it's typical of Cubase's undisciplined, arbitrary, inconsistent and "fugly" fit-and-finish.

It's the wrong place to be doing that pseudo skeuomorphism thing; save that for the VSTis.

Cubase looks great in a dimly lit room from about 10 feet back (or a small product screenshot on the back of a box), but get up close and it's a mess.

Sorry, I promised myself I wasn't gonna mini-rant about this again. :lol:
by Headlands
Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CMC-CH fader does CC7..but not CC7..

I did CC Automation setup and set CC7 as Midi part.. but no dice.
My first reaction is that this should indeed have worked :? . (You did set this in the "Record Destination" column?)

hmmm.. aha! :idea: .. Maybe this fader is also being sent into the Generic Remote Device (Devices menu>Device Setup>Remote Devices>Generic Remote)? If so, either change its input to "Not Connected", or locate the offending line in the Generic Remote, and change it to something else.
Second question is: Why are these separate things? Why is there a midi volume CC7 and then another Midi Volume CC7 that needs it's own automation lane?!? i'd be okay with using either, but right now i'm confused as to why they are separate?
They are not separate things .. it is just two different methods of making use of the same thing ;)..
CC#7 (or any other CC#, for that matter ;) ) can either be recorded as MIDI data into a MIDI Part, or written as Automation data on an Automation Lane in the Project window. But, as you have noticed, when CC#7 is used as automation, it also moves the MIDI fader in the Mixer. This is so that the behavior is consistent with writing a volume automation lane for an Audio track.
by vic_france
Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

CMC-CH fader does CC7..but not CC7..

I've searched up and down this forum and I haven't found my exact answer so I'm going to make a post.. if there's a post out there that answers it, I'm sorry and please post a link..

So I JUST got the CMC-CH.. All I wanted was to have a bigger fader for midi volume rides rather than my 2 inch fader on my midi keyboard controller (hurts the wrist these days..) Plus it gives great functionality with all the other buttons in the channel strip! Sweet!

It's all working great except the fader, when on a midi channel, affects the Midi Fader.. not the CC7 information that would normally show up in the piano roll. My midi keyboard volume fader puts out CC7 and records it in midi part.

So I did some digging, and oddly found that the CMC-CH is indeed spitting out CC7 (i input a midi input thingy that shows you what messages are being sent) however, it seems like it wants me to put it into WRITE automation for it to respond.. and then I have to open up the automation lane, blah blah..

My first question is - how do I get it so that it spits out ACTUAL CC7 and puts it into the piano roll? I did CC Automation setup and set CC7 as Midi part.. but no dice.

Second question is: Why are these separate things? Why is there a midi volume CC7 and then another Midi Volume CC7 that needs it's own automation lane?!? i'd be okay with using either, but right now i'm confused as to why they are separate? There MUST be a reason...

Thanks for any help! :)
by MHSound
Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic