Search found 37 matches

Return

Re: Recommended laptop models

1. Hewlett Packard (HP)
2. EliteBook 8770w (17")
3. Win 7 Pro x64
4. Quad-core i7 3820QM @ 2.70 Ghz (3.70 Ghz max OC)
5. 16 GB (32 max)
6. 256 GB SSD + 1 TB 7200 rpm (both internal)
7. RME Babyface
8. Cubase 7/Cakewalk Sonar X2
9. Soundtracks (portable rig)

Flawless performance. This is one monster of a laptop, the best I've ever used. The 17" 1080p display (1920x1080) is just about the best screen you can desire on a laptop. Perfect combination of large size and high resolution (a friend of mine has a Surface Pro and 1920x1080 on a 10" screen is simply ridiculous. You'd need a magnifier to see anything!)

Even tried hooking it up to my studio's RME UFX via Firewire and it works perfectly (which means it's OK to use with FW interfaces, unlike many other PC laptops.)
by papi61
Mon May 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cubase 7 and Bay Trail Windows 8.1 tablets

OK, I've finally received my Dell Venue 8 Pro 64gb and proceeded with DAW tests. I know there are quite a few people here interested in such ultra-portable solution and this is my report on how such a device works with audio in general and with Cubase 7 in particular.

First, the bad news: the USB 2.0 port (micro USB, requires OTG cable, presumably it's the same with all the 8" W8.1 tablets) doesn't provide sufficient juice to power external drives and audio interfaces (tested with RME Babyface and Focusrite Scarlett.) Yes, there is a solution, but you will lose some "portability" there: you will either have to use powered external drives and interfaces, or you can use a powered USB hub. Since you'd need a hub anyway to hook up an interface and an external drive (you only have ONE USB port), you might as well get a powered one. It's true that this device comes with a microSD slot that can give you an additional 64gb of storage, but I'm not sure these cards are fast enough for audio recording, even the super-duper "X" types. I guess I will have to test that later (I have a 64gb SDXC on order, should get it next week.)

Since I had many licenses I never used, I installed Cubase 7 AI (the free version that comes with Steinberg and Yamaha hardware.) I really didn't want to bother loading the full version (or buying Essential...) and having to cope with the additional hassle of accommodating the dongle. So, that means I couldn't test Cubase's more advanced features. But seriously, you wouldn't be using Vari-Audio or Note-Expression on a tablet. After all, this is a super-portable solution for quickly sketching ideas and recording on the go. I also installed Sonar X3c, because so far it's the only DAW that has been optimized to run on a touch screen, and I just wanted to see how good the experience is.

Cubase loads fine and works fine. Of course this is not an RT app, but a "desktop" application that can hardly take advantage of touch, but you can still pin it on the start screen for quick access. Now FORTUNATELY the V8P (like all 8" Windows tablets so far) doesn't have a super-high resolution (it's 1200x800), which means that albeit tiny, icons and buttons aren't impossible to deal with, unless you have really fat fingers. But even if you do, you can still manage to accurately point, click and drag with the active stylus, which is quite precise and does the job sufficiently well (yes, there are few annoying bugs, especially with the inking, but Dell has promised a software update for next week that will take care of that.) Unfortunately, the stylus is NOT included with the V8P, it's a $35 accessory (rather pricey IMHO, especially considering it's not a top-quality Wacom device.) Don't bother trying with other active stylii, because they won't work (I read that on the V8P forum.) Sure, a capacitive stylus would work (the kind you can buy for $2 on EBay), but it wouldn't provide a better experience than your index finger.

Performance is quite acceptable. Of course I did not try to push this system by exercising ridiculous CPU demands, I just wanted to see how it would perform in a typical on-the-go "hotel room" session, where the system would have to handle maybe a dozen instrument tracks and a couple of audio tracks. And everything went fairly smooth. So, I believe Steinberg should definitely start working on a touch interface (assuming they haven't already done that), because this type of device will definitely become popular.

And here lastly a word on Sonar X3. Man, that was really FUN!!! Despite the tiny screen, pinching to zoom tracks in and out was more than doable and overall the experience was a hundred times better than Cubase's. Because the X3 interface is also scalable, I found no need to use the stylus at all, everything worked pretty well with my fingers alone.

To sum it up, if you want the "ultimate" no-compromise tablet DAW experience, definitely get a Surface Pro 2 or equivalent device with W8.1/64 and 8gb of RAM. Dell also has a Venue 11 Pro with either i3 or i5 CPU, which still costs a couple of hundreds less than a similarly-configured SP2, but consider that the latter comes with a Wacom stylus that's MUCH MUCH better than what Dell gives you. If you only use it as a pointing device, however, there will be virtually no difference. Bay Trail tablets provide a more limited experience, which is still acceptable within the parameters of an on-the-go session and way way better than what an iPad or Android tablet can offer. Particularly, the 8" tablets provide an unmatched level of portability. After the "briefcase studio", now we have officially entered the "coat pocket studio" era.

If you have questions on this setup, feel free to ask.
by papi61
Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aero causes cursor flickering?

Aero is handled by the GPU. If you disable it, then you're burdening the CPU with a task that the Windows designers cleverly delegated to the GPU. In other words, Aero should never be disabled. If you don't like it, maybe you should consider upgrading to win 8.1.
by papi61
Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

Again, without "beatzmakers" who are you sound engineering for? This attitude and lack of respect would not get a dollar from me.

Who said anything about me being an engineer? I'm a classically-trained composer with a Ph.D. "beatzmakers" are DJ's, remixers, whatever you want to call them, but they don't actually make music, just rearrange someone else's loops.
by papi61
Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

I’m 54 and I’m not a DJ or beatzmaker as you put it but I know many as I do classical musicians and one is as skilled as the other. Do you realise how arrogant as well as ignorant that made you sound.

All I said is that DJ's and "beatzmakers" don't actually make music, they just rearrange someone else's loops. Factual. They might be very skilled at that, but in my book, they're not "musicians." In other words, apples and oranges. If that makes me sound arrogant to your ears, so be it. Do you have any idea how many years of study and practice it takes to become a good classical (or jazz) musician? And you think a DJ is just as skilled as a musician? Seriously?
by papi61
Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HELP! Urgent - Cannot open 6.0.1 files with Cubase 7.0

rob3399 wrote:I have.

I found out I have to have 6 & 7 updated, this is supposed to solve my problem.

Yep, that sounds like an issue some people had with early versions (7.0, 7.0.1 etc.) It was taken care of with later updates.
by papi61
Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If it was your money?

I don't think spending most of the money on room acoustics and high-end monitors is a good choice for a beginner, especially one on a very limited budget. The Focusrite VRM system is a very acceptable replacement, especially on a temporary basis, that is until funds become available for serious near-fields and room treatment.

On the other hand, I would spend on decent monitoring headphones, like the AT ATH-M50 ($150), which works fantastically with the VRM system ($100.) $250 will get you nothing as far as good monitors and room treatment go.
by papi61
Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Love track Versions

Definitely. It instantly reduced the number of tracks I usually use by about 50%...
by papi61
Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: H2E content won't install

I can hear the new sounds of the Trip bank in HalionSonic SE2, but they won't load in my regular Halion Sonic (not SE).
The presets do appear there, though.
Should it function that way?

Cubase 7.5 64 bits | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits | 16 GB RAM | i5 3.3 GHz processor| SSD 256 GB | Steinberg MR816x | Steinberg Midex 8 | Motu Midi Express 128 | much hardware

I'm guessing that your Halion Sonic would have to be version 2 in order to load those sounds.
by papi61
Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Android version - coming soon!

We're happily approaching ONE YEAR of "coming soon"...
by papi61
Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nelson Mandela

Agreed. But what does that have to do with Cubase?
by papi61
Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 & Win8.1 update and Syncrosoft soft Elicenser

I always run Cubase as an administrator. It bypasses a lot of potential problems with keys, VST authorizations etc. Some programs like jBridge won't even run correctly unless Cubase starts in administrator mode.

You can have the application elevated permanently by right-clicking the .exe, selecting PROPERTIES, then clicking the COMPATIBILITY tab and finally checking "Run this program as an administrator."
by papi61
Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 not production ready

A few annoying bugs, granted, but to say that 7.5 is not "production ready" is quite a stretch.
by papi61
Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

forthwith wrote:You seem to have a great amount to type, so could you therefore perform a test for the benefit of the forum?

That's not very nice. Freddie is a very enthusiastic guy who makes valuable contributions to this forum. And he does have good knowledge of both Cubase and computers. Give him a break.
by papi61
Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RME users: Is TotalMix a replacement for Control Rm?

Yeah, TotalMix FX is my control room. I use RME UFX and I don't need to use Cubase's control room, it wouldn't add any extra functionality, just extra hassle. If you have a Steinberg interface, however, you're given an interesting level of integration. In that case I would totally use Cubase's control room (also because I'd have no alternative, since TotalMix FX only works with RME products.)
by papi61
Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RME users: Is TotalMix FX a replacement for Control Rm?

Yes, I too use TotalMix and not Control Room, partly because I love the basic volume / dim integration with the interface, and partly cos I do a lot of work in Pro Tools and other DAWs as well as Cubase, which would all require different solutions otherwise. It takes a while to get your head around, but its very flexible and, for basic operation day to day, quick and easy combined with the hardware.

Yes, TotalMix FX is not the most intuitive software ever designed, but neither is Control Room, for the record. Anyhow, both are not too hard to learn, given some time and patience. Like I said before, it all comes down to hardware integration. If you use an RME interface, Control Room basically gives you none at all, while TotalMix FX is completely integrated into your hardware. So, the choice is really an easy one.
by papi61
Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

HI GUYS ...
after so many usage mac osx I'm thinking of upgrading to Win 7 64 bit.
prices of apple in value performance no longer justifies the cost of a mac ... :?
I ask you of the forum .... :roll:
Tips for a daw with cubase 7 on win 7 64 bit.
components, the stability of the system, your impressions ...
Help me

I did that about three years ago (Mac to PC.) Never regretted it for one second. It was like getting out of very heavy and expensive shackles and stepping into total freedom. Oh, and don't let anyone try to convince you that "pros only use macs." I'm a pro and I use Windows. So is Hans Zimmer, who also dumped all of his macs for custom-built PC's (and yeah, he's a major Cubase fan.)

For the record, I've never had a single OS crash on Win 7 and 8 and never had the tiniest shred of malware. And yes, my main desktop is connected to the internet (it would be a major hassle if it weren't...)

IMHO now that Windows is just as rock-solid as OSX and malware is no longer a concern (if you know what to avoid on the net..., but that also applies to macs nowadays) there is absolutely no reason to spend more money on a mac (or get a lesser computer for the same money), especially if you use Cubase. Also, most common-platform software runs more efficiently on Windows (Kontakt, Play, VEP, TotalMix FX etc.) and win machines averagely work with lower latencies than macs. So, why would you want a mac? So that people around you think you're "cool"? Reality check: the 1990's have been over in a while and Steve Jobs resides six feet under...

Finally, with a Windows DAW you can build your machine (or have it built) to YOUR EXACT SPECIFICATIONS and you don't need to accept whatever Apple thinks it's best for you (and guess what, macs aren't specifically designed to make music.) That also means you can buy the VERY BEST COMPONENTS on the market and not what Apple would have you believe it's best (Apple has HUGE profit margins, which means they don't use the very best components. Just slightly better than average.)
by papi61
Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

However, I don't believe most common platform programs run better on either OS. Perhaps it's true, but I have seen no difference.

Yes, there is a difference and it's noticeable. You haven't seen it because you moved from an older PC to a brand new mac, and the faster processor compensated for that. But if you take two identically-specced machines, a mac and a PC, the latter will be noticeably faster and display less latency. There are people (especially on Gearslutz) who benchmark that all the time, and the results are available online.

For me, it tuned out I prefer working on Mac, and I may be one of the few that's actualy impressed with the quality of the new mac components.

Huh? Do you think Apple gets "special" Intel CPU's? Special Samsung memory? Special Hitachi drives? Apple doesn't make anything, they buy components from the very same companies other brands buy. And they sure don't buy the best of the best when it comes to parts. You see, the top business lines from HP, Dell, Sony etc. make very little profit, because they do use top-notch components (when you sell to big business, it's all about numbers, and the competition is fierce.) Apple sells their computers roughly at the same price as those lines, but they still sell consumer-grade machines (most business laptops have passed military certification. Nothing from Apple has.) Hence they make a ton of profit. Bottom line: when you buy a top-notch business PC, you're buying quality components. When you buy Apple, you're buying a consumer-level machine with components that are indeed better than what you get in a $500 PC, but they're no match for what a business PC would offer you. Also business laptops typically come with a lot more ports and options (docks etc.) The only thing that Apple has is the design and the fact that "everybody uses it" in certain industries (but that's actually only true in the US) and if you don't some people may frown at you.

And I'm one of those guys that likes "peace of mind", so the Apple Care was an added bonus considering they have worldwide coverage (I travel to other studios from time to time).

That's another myth that clashes with reality. Of course Apple Care is better than the service you get with a $500 consumer PC (in other words, apples to oranges. Pun intended.) But you're spending the same money that would buy you a BUSINESS PC. My HP Elitebook laptop came with a 3-year ON-SITE warranty at no extra cost, which is something Apple only offers as an expensive optional ($350 or so.)

Quite frankly, I believe that the ONLY valid reason to still have a mac for music/pro audio nowadays is if you use Logic and can't or won't switch to another DAW.

I'm just worried stability around here . after so many years accustomed to the extreme reliability of the mac.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about. I started on the Atari in 1987, and then for 20+ years I used nothing but macs. Of course I was a bit concerned too when I switched, but my fears proved to be completely unfounded. I'm already on my third generation of PC's. Last time around, I even decided to build my own desktops, and it proved way way easier than I thought. Yes, I had help from my sound engineer and online, but hey, we're here to help you, so just ask away.
by papi61
Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

dr4kan wrote:@papi61: please don't elevate your personal beliefs to solemn truths. you are a happy Windows user, fine, but please don't waste time to try to convince us that mac users are "wrong" in some sense.

Personal beliefs? Would you please point out to what I said that isn't factual?
by papi61
Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where's Bredo?

Good riddance!!

That guy was the worst. I'm pretty sure he will soon get banned on Gearslutz too.
by papi61
Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sharing between Cubase Elements and Cubase

Yes, it's possible, as far as I know. As long as you don't use Cubase features that aren't available in Elements (like Vari-Audio, Note Expression etc.) Also Elements has a limited number of tracks, so don't exceed that number if you're producing with the full version.
by papi61
Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it time to wash the Cubase 7.5 tshirt ?

Have you showered with your t-shirt on for the last month? If not, I'm surprised you still have someone living with you... :lol:
by papi61
Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 64bits question

I wouldn't do that, too risky. Enter your preferences manually. Time-consuming, no doubt, but way safer...
by papi61
Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Would like a recommendation for a control surface

jpgtr wrote:
AP wrote:CMC works perfectly with cubase. All you have to do is install and play...

Cheers :D

How do the ribbon strips feel? Like glass or something else?

No, not like glass. They have a kind of non-slip texture, they aren't all smooth like glass.
by papi61
Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How create LANES from TRACKS?

claesbjo wrote:Ok thanks!

That leads me to another question regarding this: Is it possible add already present audio events to another tracks´s lanes? Not sure when I would need to do this but i remember doing that in Logic for some reason

Good ol' drag&drop works for both tracks and lanes, interchangeably.
by papi61
Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New monitor

In order to see things on a 1920x1080 screen as big as they are on your 19" at 1024x768, you would have to buy at least a 27". On the positive side, those monitors are now very very cheap (not to mention much lighter than they used to be) and you can pick one up for as little as $200 shipped (ebay, newegg etc.)
by papi61
Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is cubase A.I ?

AI is basically a demo. It has limited everything. Elements is much better. AI can work with a soft-licenser, no need for an extra key.
by papi61
Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New monitor

@1920x1080 everything is noticeably smaller

Smaller/larger has nothing to do with resolution alone, it depends on the size of the screen. 1920x1080 on a Surface 2/Pro/Pro 2 (10" screen) produces icons and folders so small, they're very hard to use unless enlarged in windows (150% or even 200%.) On the other hand, 1920x1080 on a 40" tv screen produces some fairly big icons. So, the resolution alone means nothing.
by papi61
Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CUBASE 7 and Seagate USB3.0 Drive (noise)

Perhaps it's the disc size. Mine is 3 TB, Windows 7 Home Premium detected only 2 TB. Had to do some tricks to get the full size. Reminded me of Windows 2000 having a hard time with 'huge' drives < 20 GB...

You have to do that only if your 3tb is your OS drive. Win 7 has a 2tb limit for the OS drive. AFAIK, Win 8/8.1 has no such limit. Non-OS drives can be as big as you want and windows will read the entire capacity.
by papi61
Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CUBASE 7 and Seagate USB3.0 Drive (noise)

Just as a general rule, DO NOT USE EXTERNAL DRIVES for audio (or samples, to a lesser extent), especially if you work with a high number of audio tracks. Use internal SATA III, it's way way better. I use my USB 3.0 externals only for backup/archives.
by papi61
Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 32 bit and 64 bit

Consider using jBridge, It does wonders with old VST's, on 32-bit or 64-bit. It can convert both ways.

Windows version: http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/
Mac version: http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridgem/
by papi61
Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 32 bit and 64 bit

Any helpful suggestions on undertaking a move to the 64-bit version of Cubase 7.5?

Like I said, the best thing you can do when you move to 64-bit is to get jBridge, which will ensure that you can use all your 32-bit VST's. Cubase has a built-in bridging device (called VSTBridge) but it's nowhere near as good as jBridge and often fails to bridge 32-bit plugs, usually resulting in a crash. With jBridge, you can even use VST's older than v. 2.4, which is the minimum requirement for Cubase 7/7.5.

Needless to say, bridging takes a lot of CPU power, so if you don't have enough RAM to enjoy the advantages of 64 bit computing (at least 8 gb, better if 16) and you have lots of 32-bit plugs, it wouldn't make much sense to move to x64.
by papi61
Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: c7.5 is absolutely ROCK SOLID

Rock solid here too, despite Win 8.1 not being officially supported by Steinberg (works great, don't be afraid to take the plunge.)
by papi61
Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pc spec to rival/copy new Mac Pro 2013

Consider that the new MacPro comes with monster GPU's that you (or any other musician/sound engineer) don't need. It's a machine designed for 4k video editing, it would be the mother of all exercises in sheer waste to use it for audio.

You can build a PC that matches or exceeds (16-core not available on the MacPro) the MacPro for 1/3 of the price. Of course it will not have the same graphic performance but, once again, you don't need it.
by papi61
Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Aloha t,
IMHO it is always best to finish projects in the
programme in which they were started.

Agreed 100%.

Is it possible to run 7.0.6 and 7.5 on the same partition.

I now have C5/6.5/7/7.5 all working fine on the same partition.(on Mac here)

Same here on Windows 8.1 (except that I don't have C5 because my main desktop is newer than that release.)
by papi61
Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

greggybud wrote:Digital Performer might be the only DAW feature wise close to Cubase?

Maybe, but their Windows version is an unmitigated disaster. I know many people who tried it (including yours truly) but no one who actually adopted it.
by papi61
Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic