Search found 17 matches

Return

Re: Any plugs to remove acoustic guitar string squeaks?

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/#
It WORKS!!!

and ... there's a 10 day trial!

Be warned though! it's highly addictive ... and expensive! :shock: :lol:
by HowlingUlf
Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[Tip of the day] Tempo map from rotten audio file

I'm a little impressed what Cubase can do today! 8-)

I have this old cassette-recording I wanted to "snatch" the guitar solo from, because it's worth a better fate.
It's just me and a friend but I had this plan for ages to rerecord the silly song and the solo has to be note for note perfect so ... haha! I brought it onto myself :mrgreen:
I want to do it as exact as possible so I need to practice a little and I needed to loop a section at a time.
I thought I just use the tempo detection thingie but alas the tape was just a mess!!!
All bass and thunder synth pads and heavy guitars and almost no drums ... very old tape ... VERY OLD!
what to do?
I have tried this before but this seemed to be to far gone but it's worth a try.
What I did was I had the original audio track and then I duplicated it and muted the original.
Then I proceeded to heavily EQ the copy track to get rid all the noises that distracted Cubase while detecting the tempo.
I ended up with a "curve from hell" with two sharp peeks, on around 100hz and the other at 5kHz.
The rest of the curve was lying flat at the bottom almost of the window and the sound was HORRID!!!
*pf tz pf tz pf tz pf tz pf tz pf tz * but that's what I was after.
Then I used the tempo detection tool and ... voilà!!! IT WORKED! 8-) :lol:

I unmuted the original track and muted the EQed copy and now I have a workable tempotrack.
I can loop any bar and practice all I want until I have it down exactly as I want it.
Mission accomplished!
by HowlingUlf
Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mids

I've recently begun a quest to educate myself re: mids. I guess I've always used them sub-consciously, but I'm making a concerted effort to burn them in. I've been hearing them over a droning bass tone and squeeling highs, but would appreciate any full range monitoring input to further my education. What are some of your favorites?
by HowlingUlf
Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mini The Moog

I have NI B4 mkII and it makes me droll just holding down the keys! I happened to pass through a music shop a few weeks ago and they had a full Hammond organ with pedals and a Lesie speaker and it sounded great no doubt. I think the B4 comes close enough though in the studio.

I view it as this: You can't compare a real instrument like Hammond/Leslie or Strat/Marshall to a simulated one, but you can compare a micked up organ+amp or guitar+amp coming through the wall in to the studio monitors to a sim instrument also coming through the studio monitors. And in 2013 it's close enough to say that in the studio it makes no sense to drag the real *flower* around just for the sake of it. If you have some special set up you rely on for whatever reason of course you should use your hardware, but most of the time it's not significantly better.

The sims take no space and you can save presets of hundreds of combinations. Hardware can't. Hardware can WAIL and SCARE SMALL ANIMALS, TICKLE YOUR EARS, ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF and SOUNDS DANGEROUS in the real world. That's their place!!! 8-)

Where were we? Oh, the B4! Great plugin! 8-)
Get on if you can ... Native Instruments discontinued it a few years ago, though!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

[edit]

Same goes for the Mini Moog, of course!
by HowlingUlf
Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: this'll change everything 14 nov

Soul-Burn wrote:Well it's the 14th where I live. Steiny, your turn!

:shock:
The voice from the future!!!
by HowlingUlf
Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who else loves the control room

Damn! This works great! 8-)
by HowlingUlf
Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

+1

It seems C7.5 glued a lot of tools into their right place in the workflow.
Now ... the sky is not the limit.
I'm raking youtube to find tutorials and alternative ideas. Well worth it so far :idea:
It's Cubase fault even less if we can't create music with C7.5.

I saved a project in C7.5 and opened it in ... C6.5!!!
It opened without the Chord Track, obviously, but other than that IT OPENED!!!

So far as least as stable as C6.5 which was rock solid. Extremely happy!

And the update costs me ... a few lunches!
by HowlingUlf
Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monitoring the Yamaha HS7's

a link to "decoupling".
http://www.consumerelectronicsnet.com/article/Decouple-Your-Speakers-33664

I have one ~30cmx30cmx5cm recycled foam rubber pad (kinda soft but firm) under each monitor on DIY stands on the floor.
It's just scrap material used for shock prevention for packaging fragile and expensive equipment.
I took it out of the waste bin, swept it in some black cloth and it's perfect.
by HowlingUlf
Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 432 Hz tuning?

Well, most people should be able to hear the difference, I think. But 440 should definitely be better because it is evenly divisible by 11, and that's what Nigel Tufnel's amp goes up to.
8-)
Oh, by the way, us older geezers used to cassette recorders remember playback speeds in the range of +/-10%(?), depending on the quality of the equipment, battery power and some manufacturers who thought they could achieve something by speeding up a little ... :lol: No matter how you look at it, cassette recorders where not an exact science! Remember how those "time"/feet/lap counters never matched up with other brands or sometimes not even with themselves!!!

The pitch was kind of tied to the playback speed, no matter what, sooo ... maybe that explains what's wrong with us?
Those were the days :mrgreen:

432/440=0.981 so it's kind of close after all?
by HowlingUlf
Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

I absolutely love how MIDI notes have a corresponding color for their velocity in the piano roll. I loved that in REAPER and I love it here. :)

That's been around for a long long time - since C5 at least. It's the default colouring option - others being MIDI channel etc.

It's not enough to mention C5 for that feature. It's been there at least since C5 VST32 ... it's probably been there since Cubase left its black/white pre history? ;)
by HowlingUlf
Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just about all the little features in C7 -> C7.5.20 is exactly what I like when I see it. People are different. Right now I'm very happy with the directions Cubase is heading in!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
by HowlingUlf
Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

+1
Going on 4 months without a crash or issues.

+1 Same here.

Had one crash so far and that's because I was mucking about loading/unloading some
3rd party 32 bit stuff (SampleTank) that uses a 'bridge'.

C7.5 is as solid as a rock here.
{'-'}

+1

I have this one song I started a few days ago that can't behave.
It just triggers Cubase's puke reflex and everything goes down with a BOOM ... intermittently ...
CTRL+Shift+Escape a few times ... I won't have that!!!
I'm going to save the audio and MIDI files and recreate that project and see what happens.

Apart from that song Cubase is steady as a rock!
by HowlingUlf
Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

yeah, seems fine now.
And I just exported/imported track archives plus made a preset of selected tracks in the mixer and open a clean template project which to me looks and sounds identical (minus the 'problem' 8-) ).
Cubase roxx!
And if that wouldn't be enough I could export MIDI files and Audio files and then open a clean template project.
by HowlingUlf
Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I cant stand plugins which look like hardware lol. I love the izotope designs.

Really modern, functional and mouse friendly - and not locked into or constrained by hardware paradigms

+1

I'd maybe not go that far but, sometimes I cringe a little when someone a little too obviously has been bending over backwards trying to get some design look like hardware.

Sometimes it looks cool but it's time to move on as well and take full advantage of the dynamic nature of the screen.
by HowlingUlf
Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Anybody has anything to say about NI Session Horns Pro

Maybe it's too new for anybody to have an opinion but I kind of like it.
Session Horns Pro sound demos
The first phrases before the trombone is really not very good so I don't know why they chose that to take the first hit!
From then on it could be good enough for horns-in-a-box? But €299 !!! Naw ... :?

Listening again ... it's clean ... squeaky clean! No omppf, no raw power, no ... fart! :lol: Horny instruments should be more vivid and obscene than that!

Anybody has a better suggestion for horns package?
by HowlingUlf
Mon May 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: the vocal volume the same in all devices

For that last point, you have to set your expectations properly. For example, I know my car's bass response is crappy. So when I take a mix into the car I know that the bass will sound weak. I adjust my expectations appropriately.

That's what you have reference material for. You have CDs or something and you have some environment where you double check your new mix against the references. You know the references sound good so you can somewhat rely on them. Adjust critical stuff (like bass levels and lead vox) according to the reference material and you're at least one step closer to a good mix.
by HowlingUlf
Fri May 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic