Search found 10 matches

Return

Re: Any plugs to remove acoustic guitar string squeaks?

The de-esser that comes with Cubase does a great job. Just play with it. I use it for this purpose. It actually is a magic bullet.
by Early21
Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Steinberg Forum Knowledgebase for Users by Users

Welcome to the Steinberg Forum Knowledgebase.

The learning curve is steep. The manual is boring. How can one integrate all his different equipment into a unified, intuitive music making machine? This is why Bassbase and I built this knowledgebase. The Steinberg Forum Knowledgebase is constantly under expansion and is in no way a static article. We try to provide new insights with everything from opening your application to locking down that next purchase.

To use this knowledgebase to its full potential we recommend you take advantage of the "Search this topic" field at the top of this page in addition to the Table of Contents in order to quickly find your problem.

Table of contents

Cubase Troubleshooting

Tutorials

Elicenser Errors

Tools

USB Mics

Intro to MIDI

Novation Automap with Cubase

Wavelab Troubleshooting

Tips & Tricks

MIDI 101

Expression Maps

Interfaces and Recording

Remote Control Editor

Importing Older Projects

MIDI Instrument Setup

Drum Maps and Extras!

Buyers Guides and Consumer Resources

How You Can Help

Getting Started

Welcome new users! If you have purchased Cubase and are unsure of where to start, look no further. Familiarize yourself to the concept of licensing then move on to the first steps.

Licensing

In order to keep Cubase from being downloaded illegally, Steinberg has implemented a licensing solution to protect legitimate users.

This works by packaging software with an elicenser or "dongle", on which licenses can be stored. Licenses are activated by entering an activation code, which is discussed below. Any computer with the software installed and an elicenser in the USB port is authorized for use. Note that an elicenser can only run on one computer at a time.

Some Steinberg Products, including AI or LE versions of software do not require an elicenser. In this case, a "soft elicenser" is automatically stored to your computer's memory. For portability, transferring these licenses to USB elicensers is optional.

If you encounter any errors during the licensing process please consult the corresponding section below.

First Steps

1) Run the installer on the installation disc. Remember to install this for all users on your system just in case.

2) Open the elicenser control center, which should have installed alongside Cubase, with your USB elicenser (dongle) plugged in. Elements does not require a USB elicenser.
See the following image: Elcc.jpg
3) Click Enter Activation Code and type in the code that was printed on a slip in your package. Once you have finished, a license should appear in a new window, drag it to the desired elicenser.

4) Don’t forget to Register your product online at MySteinberg, so you have support if you misplace your USB elicenser or have any other troubles.

Before you even start up Cubase download the latest update to the e-licenser control center.

This should be updated regularly.

How to make your Forum Signature

Go to your User Control Panel here in the forum, then under the Profile tab, find the Edit Signature on the left. Signatures will help other users understand your system setup when you post your problems.

Bug Reports and Contacting Steinberg

How do I report a problem with Cubase?

If you still need to contact Steinberg, check this out.

Just visit MySteinberg , log in with your Username and Password, then go to Support Request Form on the right. Now fill it out and send your request. You should receive an automatic email to your registered email address, confirming your form was successfully submitted. If you can’t find one, you should check your Spam folders.

Back to the Table of Contents
by Bane
Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who else loves the control room

This is maybe a silly question but the right topic ...
If I don't have a separate control room and studio, mainly work alone, and my patch bay is set up so I hardly ever need to patch anything to break into the normaled connections, is there some real benefit of using the Cubase Control Room then? I've opened it and sort of know my way around and I see how it works but what's in there for me that I don't see?

If you don't have a monitor controller the volume and dim can be handy
by The dman
Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who else loves the control room

This is maybe a silly question but the right topic ...
If I don't have a separate control room and studio, mainly work alone, and my patch bay is set up so I hardly ever need to patch anything to break into the normaled connections, is there some real benefit of using the Cubase Control Room then? I've opened it and sort of know my way around and I see how it works but what's in there for me that I don't see?
Here's a few

Mono checking, multi monitor auditing, alternate mix checking, sub mix leveling, monitoring at a comfortable level without affecting the standards based level that exports ... I'm sure I'm missing a few.
by JMCecil
Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Speculation: Cubase 7.5 OR 8.0 @ mps?

Hi guys,

only two more days to go and we will all finally find out what is new in the Steinberg world :)

Regards
by Luis Dongo
Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Got a cool tip or macro to add to the list? Spotted an error or know a better way? Post it here and I'll add it on as and when I can!

There are lots more juicy tips in this thread that haven't been collated yet, or are a bit too general or complex to fit in this post. Have a wade through and see what nuggets you find.

Excellent Thread by Bane (looks like hundreds of hours of work here) thanks Curteye.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=23576#p151237

Great Site Full of Tutorials thanks Norbury Brook .
http://www.cubasetutorial.net/

Best Ever Workflow Tip

The one piece of advice that keeps on coming up over and over: Learn the Key commands and assign your own. Almost every function can be set to a key command.

Here's an excellent thread by JMCecil with a utility for setting up and viewing key commands.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=31882

Project Setup

Make templates!

Get a session set up how you like it, tracks ready to go, input and output buses, group channels, folder tracks even favourite VST instruments and FX, this is a BIG timesaver.

Template From Existing Project

Save your project under a different name first (avoids ‘lost project embarrassment’). Delete all the Audio/MIDI stuff you don’t want in the template from the project window. Hit [CTL]+P to open pool and right [Option]click, select empty trash.
BEWARE, don’t choose erase unless you don’t need the files, choose the‘remove from pool’ option. Erase option will send your files to digital heaven. Then choose Save as Template option from the file menu.

Naming Tracks

In the Arrange window, click in the track name box to get a curser, type in the tracks name ie; ’Kick’, hit [TAB] (cursor jumps to next track name box) type in next one and repeat. Hit [Enter] to end.

Naming Tracks Inside Folders - by Xtigma

Rename all tracks inside a folder to the same name.
Type name in Folder Track, hold down [shift] + press [enter].

Rename all events on midi track to track's name - By Mozizo

Dbl click track name(fonts highligted with blue).
Press and hold one of the modifiers and press Enter.

Assigning Input Buses and Channel Outputs

In the Mix Console, select the required audio channels and as you assign the 1st channel (Drop down menu in Mix Console-Routing Tab) hold down [Shift] and each channel will be assigned incrementally.
Holding [Shift]+[ALT] will send all selected channels to the same Input bus or output.

Macros

To create a macro

File/Key Commands/Show Macros/New Macro-and name it.
Highlight the command from the commands window and hit 'Add Command' after each.
The new marco should now be visible in the macro folder in the commands window. Assign it to a Key of your choice.

New Track Macro - by Rhino

For creating a new track with all routing monitoring and FX settings from existing in one go.

Project - Duplicate Tracks
Edit - Select All On Tracks
Edit - Delete

Bounce In Place - by Winter Rat http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=30597

Cubase Ninja Pro-Tools style Trim Automation - by Lukasbrooklyn http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=38182

Set L and R Locators to next 2 markers - by SeeWhat

Locate to marker 1 then apply the following macro ({Alt}+{/}.
transport- set Left locator
transport- next marker
transport- set Right locator

Mix Console/FX

Default FX Presets - by Rhino

In any FX container window, next to the preset box hit the cubase icon and choose 'save as default preset'

Open all insert GUI on channel - By mozizo

[shift]+[alt]+[left click] on E button of a channel.
To close all of them [shift]+[left click] on E again.

Audio

Pre-Insert Volume Automation

Make sure the 'Use Mouse Wheel for Event volume and Fades' option is activated in Preferences. Editing/Audio page.
[ALT]+Click on an audio event to cut it around the area you want to change, then hover the mouse over it and mouse wheel up for louder (up to 24db) or down for softer. Will also work for multiple selections or entire Audio events. Won't work for an Audio Part unless you dissolve part first [CTL]+ right[option] click to open context menu and choose Audio/Dissolve Part.
[CTL]+M/Wheel near front of event to adjust fade in or near rear for fade out.

Replace all audio clip instances - by lukasbrooklyn

To replace all instances of an audio event in a project (akin to exchanging a sample in a sampler), put your replacement sample in the pool, the drag it from the pool whist holding shift, and drop it onto the event to be replaced.

MIDI

MIDI Octave shortcut - by Stealth

Select midi event(s) in the project/arrange page then Shift + up or down arrow key to change octave.

MIDI Velocity Editing - by trashdinner

Hold shift + Ctrl, left click and drag up or down to change velocity on selected MIDI events.

Logical Editor - by Curteye

Being a MIDI guitarist from the early 90's the LE was a must learn.
Here is my approach(es):

1-When using it stop thinking like an artist/musician etc
and start thinking more 'scientific'. (similar but not quite the same)

2-Don't go in 'cold'. Decide want you want to accomplish and use a preset
that steers in that direction. There are many in Cubase. Tweak from there.

3-Save your tweak as a preset. You might need it later and you might forget how you got there.
(happened to me a lot at first)

4-Using LE custom presets along with Key Commands can really speed the workflow.

VST Instruments

Record VST instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export - by JMCecil

F4 -> Output tab -> hit + sign and create a Stereo Output called whatever "VSTi Out". Do not assign this output to any of your audio card outputs.
On your Instrument track, set the output to the "VSTi Output" from the previous step.
Create a Stereo Audio Track in the project, set the INPUT to "VSTi Output"
Enable monitor and/or Record enable.

Vari Audio

Variaudio shortcuts - by trashdinner

[tab] to switch between segment and pitch modes.
Hold [ctrl] while moving a note to snap to pitch.
Hold [shift] while moving a note to move it freely.

Video

Video Scrubbing - by Carlo

Very nice for film-scoring if you play back a movie on a computer screen: Click directly in the Video Player window and drag the mouse left or right...

Toggle Full Screen Video - by BFred

Double-click anywhere in the video window to toggle full screen mode.

General

Resize Tool box (Arrange Window) - by Soul Burn

If you press right-click to open the tools menu and hold it pressed for about 5 seconds (it feels long), you can resize the shape of the toolbox. This lets you get to your tools with a shorter movement of the mouse.

Scissor Trick - by Bonso

Scissor Tool : alt/click when slicing an event divides the whole event into equal length sections.

Reverse Locators to skip section - by Rotund

If you just want to cut a section of a song, but want to hear the result first.
Simply engage cycle, then set your left locator to the end of the section to be cut.
Then set your right locator to the beginning of the section to be cut.
Yea, backwards.
Now playback from a point before the right locator.
The song will skip over the section enclosed in the markers.

Got something to share? Post your tips and ideas in this thread and I'll add them when I can.
by Paul Coyle
Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

LEARN YOUR NEW C7 MIX CONSOLE HERE!!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmWOruXEoLwb1dDPJRx_EnMI538mE5VFo&feature=view_all

I love my old console but what can we do... learn the new one hehehe... It does Have many Pros
Also some confusions but these videos by Cubase Jedi Master GURU Greg Ondo will help you find the cool new FEATURES..

I really love my old Mixer Specially the 6.5 and the Nuendo 5 :( wish it would take the whole screen like the new one... but way too much for the GPU I guess. The old mixer looks more professional.. The new one looks like a Star Trek board. Cool in its own way..

Also noticed that the new Mix Console is design to match the NUAGE system... So this might have been a Yamaha decision..

More videos to come...
by GIRO
Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Freezing an audio track stops sound

For a long time now I have had an issue where freeze produces silence.

Unfreezing and just doing it a 2nd time always (and I do mean always) works.

So perhaps the algorithm you selected has nothing to do with it....it's just that you are unfreezing and then freezing a 2nd time.
by Grim
Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pono

So this is marketing brand of Neil Young's "high-definiton" audio? Poor old Neil. Either he've been misguided or is trying to do the largest scam in the history of music industry. I think I already linked this one: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html the last time this was discussed. No, I'm not against uncompressed/losslessly compressed audio, but (when it comes to delivery format) anything above 44.1k/16 is just snake oil.
by Jarno
Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic