Search found 13 matches

Return

Re: Cubase 7.5 vs Ableton live

I have done a fair amount of real work in Live 8 and 9. People who love the Ableton "workflow" are usually talking about Session View, which I simply never found a use for. Every track I completed in live was done entirely in Live's Arrangement view, which is more or less like Cubase's piano roll. I understand Session View, and think it offers lots of opportunities for both DJs and composers- but it's just not how I think when I'm making music. I write and track in a very linear fashion, so Session View's no good to me.

I actually really like Live's "everything in one window" philosophy. Even now that they added dual monitor support, you still see nearly everything you need on a single screen without having to shift around a bunch of windows. Live also has really nice audio and MIDI routing capabilities.

Even though I had fun working in Live, I always came back to Cubase, and the reason is pretty simple: Cubase does more. Much more powerful MIDI editing. SysEx support. VST3. VariAudio. More (and often better) bundled plugins. Plus the Cubase Mix Console- much as folks seem to complain about it- is much more useful and usable than anything Live currently offers for mixing.

Live is a fine DAW. I think it actually might be the best "beginner's DAW" too because of all the built-in help and the simple layout. But Cubase just plain does more. (EDIT: Especially Cubase 7.5. The track visibility and track instruments updates were entirely worth it for me.)
by UltimateOutsider
Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Groove Agent SE 4 manual?

The Plugin Reference manual that you can access from Cubase's Help menu should have documentation. (I don't have the 7.5 docs here, so don't know if they updated the manual from Groove Agent ONE to GA4 SE yet.)

Also, Steinberg did some tutorial videos on Groove Agent SE 4 on their YouTube channel.
by UltimateOutsider
Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

theRoyal1 wrote:I've just about had it w/ Beat Designer. As if it couldn't get any worse they now Force it to be docked on top!!

Wait, can you explain this? What did they change?

Beat Designer is one of the reasons I keep coming back to Cubase after flirting with other DAWs.

Don't tell me they've broken it...
by UltimateOutsider
Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anybody has anything to say about NI Session Horns Pro

I got N I's Session Horns for $49 during the December sale, (not sure if that's a lighter version of Session Horns Pro or not)
For what it's worth the Session Horns Pro package is a significantly upgraded product. There's a comparison page that shows the differences between the two packages.

I've used Session Horns and Session Strings on a couple of tracks, and they're pretty rad. I am also, however, among those not quite ready to spring retail for the upgrade. I'll hold out for Komplete 10 Ult.
by UltimateOutsider
Mon May 19, 2014 11:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to play MIDI sounds in Cubase 7?

When you double-click a MID file and actually hear distinguishable music as a result, it's because whatever your default MIDI file player is (QuickTime or Windows Media Player, usually) has access to a General MIDI sound set. See that link for more details, but basically, it's a known set of instruments that are supposed to sound more or less the same across different synths or music programs.

The Halion Sonic plugin that comes with Cubase actually includes a full GM sound set. I haven't done this in quite a while but I think I remember that if you import a MID file to Cubase, it puts each part on its own MIDI track and assigns each part with an appropriate Halion patch (assuming the file was saved with GM patch numbers).

I don't know if that's changed with the current Cubase, but if it still works, you'll probably find that the sounds Cubase gives you are actually better (higher quality, more professional sounding) than the ones in your default MIDI player.

EDIT: Take a look at the "Importing MIDI Files" section of the Cubase operation manual.
by UltimateOutsider
Wed May 21, 2014 12:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Groove Agent ONE failed to locate 32 samples"

The files you need are probably already on your computer and Cubase just doesn't know it. I wrote a post about how to fix it a couple years back. (It must be a pretty common issue because that article gets almost 300 hits a month.)

EDIT: Also, the VSTSOUND files are archives; they contain other files. Even though you're seeing complaints about individual samples, the WAVs it's looking for are inside the VSTSOUNDS.
by UltimateOutsider
Sat May 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's the best format audio to upload to Soundcloud ?

AAC-LC is one of the recommended audio format compressions to upload to Youtube.

But... Cubase 7.5 does not offer this format (AAC-LC) in it's export options. So, I would have to use something like iTunes to convert .WAV to AAC-LC

Any idea why Cubase 7.5 does not offer AAC/ AAC-LC export option ?
I don't know why Cubase doesn't support it (WaveLab doesn't either, although that's changing with 8.5 I hear.)

But when uploading to YouTube, this is my workflow:

1. Render music out to WAV at 44.1kHz, 24-bit.
2. Import WAV into my video editor (Sony Movie Studio or Camtasia) and edit the video.
3. Render the video as MP4 with AAC audio.
4. Upload to YouTube. ( Here's an example .) The audio in that clip was actually rendered out during an earlier Cubase session from the one shown in the video. I just imported the pre-existing WAV and synced it to the video.

So it doesn't matter (for me) that Cubase doesn't do AAC; I rely on my video editor for that.

I upload 44.1kHz (and sometimes 48kHz) 24-bit WAV files to SoundCloud only for things like hardware or softsynth shootouts where people might want to be able to download the original recordings for hi-fi listening.

For just songs or whatever, I prefer uploading to SoundCloud as MP3, so folks can download it to their iPods.

My workflow there might be a little... uh different; I don't know what most other SoundClouders do.

1. I render out from Cubase as WAV (again, 44.1/24).
2. Open it in WaveLab for loudness normalization.
3. Use the LAME encoder to generate an MP3 file with "-V1 -h" (high quality VBR).
4. Open the MP3 in iTunes, touch up all the ID3 tags, and add artwork.
5. Upload to SoundCloud. ( Here's the SoundCloud version of my earlier example .)
by UltimateOutsider
Mon May 26, 2014 3:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metronome Routing / Buss (help)?

So, I am trying to screenshoot a video of me recording a track/song and whilst I am recording, I want myself and the viewers to be able to hear the Cubase METRONOME. Then, when I play-back the Cubase recording (still in Camtasia during the screenshoot), I do not want the METRONOME to be present. So I am asking what you would normally do yourself which it use the METRONOME during the recording of the first track (to keep in time!), and then disable it during playback (so you can just listen to the musical audio.
Hmm, when I wrote my original answer, I was thinking that YOU wanted to be able to hear the metronome, but you didn't want someone watching the video to be able to hear it, so I was trying to think of was you could achieve that. But in your post you say you DO want listeners to be able to hear it while you're recording.

If you simply want to be able to control when it's audible vs not audible while you're recording your video, just toggle it on/off by clicking the "CLICK" button or pressing C on your computer's keyboard?

(Or do you still want to be able to hear it yourself even though it's not audible in the video? Now I'm confused.)
by UltimateOutsider
Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

But (and this is where I think you are correct), because Cubase Artist 'Devices' is not giving me any other options of routing the CLICK anywhere else than the 'VoiceMeeter' (as in the video I posted), the CLICK is getting recorded (by Camtasia) as 'System Sound' and there is no way I can separate it from the Audio/Midi/Instrument track (I am recording) in the Cubase project.
Okay- so why don't you just press C to disable the click when you're done with it?

Here's a little video explaining what I mean.

http://youtu.be/PjhKanEy70Q
by UltimateOutsider
Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ah, I didn't realize you were recording as audio. Of course that usually wouldn't matter, because the click sound isn't supposed to get recorded as audio either, but the way audio's being routed into Cubase in your setup is causing a problem.

I am not familiar with the Voice Meter program, so I don't understand how it's sending Cubase's own metronome click back into Cubase's inputs. You might have said this in the video, but in Cubase, what are you selecting for your Input bus? Is there a way to have it get the Synth input directly instead of the mixed signal from Voice Meter?
by UltimateOutsider
Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Halion 4 and 5 crash in Bitwig

Thanks jaslan.
The problem is that in my VST plugins folder I only have one .dll file. I suppose that's the vst3 version. Do you know where I might find the 2.x version of the plugin?
For what it's worth, if the file name ends with DLL it's VST 2.x. If it ends in .vst3 it's a VST3. Also, VST3s aren't installed in your VSTPlugins folders. At least on Windows, VST3 files usually go under C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 or in a VST3 folder inside your Cubase install directory (only for plugins bundled with Cubase).
by UltimateOutsider
Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR22 Though USB Sound?

No idea how this works on Mac, but on Windows this is pretty easy:
- With your interface connected to the PC, open the Windows Sound control panel.
- On the Playback tab, select your interface in the list of playback devices.
- With the interface selected, click the Set Default button near the bottom of the control panel.

This will make it so that any program that doesn't have built-in device selection will be routed to your interface. Programs that have device selection (like DAWs and movie editors) will still use whatever playback device you have explicitly selected.
by UltimateOutsider
Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic