Search found 75 matches

Return

Re: Realtime Scoring

I presume you mean, while the Score Editor window is open/frontmost?
If so, (and the same is true when recording in any of the MIDI Editors), you will have to create an empty MIDI Part first, so that the Score Editor window can open, then, just make sure that the MIDI track is record-enabled, then record normally.
Obviously, the way the Score will look depends on the track/staff's default Display Quantize settings.
by vic_france
Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Logical Editor: does it affect Tempo Track and/or automa

Did you discover this 'opportunity', made possible by the relationship of musical to linear timebases, yourself, or was it ever in the Cubase documentation?
Well, the doc does state that Musical Timebase locks events to Bars/beats, whereas Linear Timebase locks them to Time. ;)
I, too, have used this method, where necessary, to convert from 4/4 to 12/8 etc.
Are you saying, then, that (with the newer versions of Cubase,) the Project Logical Editor can scale the positions of time [errm TEMPO ;) ] events, but not their values ? Yes, that's it.
I hope that they will extend the function, seeing as the PLE's "Trim" function can scale Automation values, but remains dead when trying to be used on other data (such as Tempo).
by vic_france
Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Remote Kyes Setup for Expression Maps - KS not working

(first thing that springs to mind.. are you sure you are using the correct octave? When you write "C-1", is that "C1" or "C minus 1"? )
by vic_france
Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Need help with logical presets.

Tyrcian wrote:I will do but in the meantime could somebody just upload their presets folder to dropbox and pm me the link?

Cheers

Logical Edit.zip

Hopefully, this should work as a simple attachment (if not, I'll try via DropBox)
by vic_france
Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sustain pedal altered with MIDI note filtering

I agree with Steve's analysis of the problem, but I think a better solution would be as follows..
Instead of adding the line that he suggests, change your filter section like this..

Filter Target = "Type is", Condition = "Equal", Parameter 1 = "Note" --- And
Filter Target = "Velocity", Condition = "Inside Range", Parameter 1 = "1", Parameter 2 = "17"

This way, "velocity = 0" (i.e. "note off") gets passed through o.k.
by vic_france
Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Score editor: Breve note

I just tried a little experiment.. trying to get a breve with Step Input, and not really holding out too much hope…. but it worked! :shock: :)
There's a one-off operation to perform..
1) Create a MIDI Part, say, 2 bars long, in either 4/4 or 2/2
2) Fill it with breves
3) Close the Editor, then, from the Project window, select the MIDI Part, then Edit menu>Advanced Quantize>"Create Groove Quantize Preset".
This new Quantize Preset is now available in the Quantize Menu, and works exactly as you would like when doing Step Input :).
(No-one is more surprised than myself! :P )
by vic_france
Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unlink copied MIDI parts to edit events separately?

Select the Part in the project window, then Edit menu>Functions>"Convert to Real Copy".
by vic_france
Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sending MIDI Input to multiple Virtual Instruments

If you are using a "regular" MIDI track, routed to the VSTi Rack, rather than using a dedicated Instrument track, then you can use a MIDI Send on that MIDI track, to whatever other MIDI instrument (or MIDI port) you wish. There are four MIDI Sends available.
(I was really hoping that that Cubase 7.5 would bring along MIDI Sends from Instrument Tracks also, but, alas, not yet ;) ).
by vic_france
Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Transposing issue is driving me crazy !

When you say "it is never in the right tone", do you mean that it is transposed wrongly, or not transposed at all?
Anyways, just try a little test, by creating a new project, with just the Transpose track , and a MIDI track with Kontakt on it (and record a very simple MIDI Part), and see if Transpose is still not working.
by vic_france
Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Last question though: why what I play from my Midi Keyboard is not affected by Global Transpose ?
Good question ;).. but, in fact, "Global Transpose" only enables/disables the Transpose Track relative to recorded Parts on other MIDI/Instrument/Audio tracks.. not the input to the tracks themselves (for which, at least as regards MIDI and Instrument tracks, you have the Transpose section in the track's Inspector). But beware!.. That Inspector setting also affects playback of the Parts on the track!

As regards your original problem, I am wondering if you, wrongly, did the following?… Your bass Parts were set to "Follow". Did you also have a non-zero Transpose setting, just to its left, on the Info Line? If so, the bass would be transposed twice.. once by that non-zero setting, and once again, according to the values in the Transpose Track. If set to "Independent", the bass would transpose only to that non-zero setting. If, in addition, you also had a non-zero transpose setting in the bass track's Inspector, that would add yet another transposition to the eventual outcome!.
by vic_france
Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For information, I've just experienced the same problem with another track: the track has always played well but when I decided to only change its VST instrument, then the tone was lost ; I had to set Global Transpose to Independant to retrieve the right one... Is this a bug ?
I really don't know. Is this an Instrument track, or a MIDI track routed to a VSTi in the Rack?
by vic_france
Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Need help with input Transformer

I'm afraid the Input Transformer cannot do that.
The only thing I can think of that might work (and, purely hypothetical, because I don't even know if such an instrument as the following even exists.. maybe in Reaktor?)..
You'd need to send those MIDI sequences into another MIDI Instrument which, itself, is monophonic, and can retransmit the single playing note out to MIDI again. But, like I said, I know of no such instrument.
by vic_france
Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sending MIDI Input to multiple Virtual Instruments

I just found out what was wrong.

The Outputs are only avaliable when you choose the sends from the Channel Inspector.
If you open the Edit Channel Window, the sends doesn't have the output options!

It has only just dawned on me, the significance of what you wrote :oops:
Yes, this is indeed an omission. (although it would only make sense to add MIDI outputs in the Send section of the Edit Settings window if it also had a section for the main MIDI routing.)
by vic_france
Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can't control Expression Maps from external keyboard

So, no green arrow?
(I'll just go look see if there could be anything in the Map Setup that is system-specific rather than project-specific)

. at the bottom-left of the Map window, your root key is C0?
by vic_france
Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can't control Expression Maps from external keyboard

JMCecil wrote: ... or cranial rectal inversion ...

I hope you are never in need of mouth-to-mouth! :mrgreen:
by vic_france
Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trim MIDI event length

Forum member Bo Clausen has some great macros (so do a search on his name.. I'm pretty sure he has posted a macro that does what I am about to describe, all in one go ;) )…
Anyways, these are the steps..
1) Open the Part in the Key Editor, and select the desired range.
2) Transport menu>"Locators to Selection" (or Key Command "P")
3) Close the Key Editor
4) Edit menu>Functions>"Split Loop"
You now have your original Part split into three sections, with the MIDI content in the middle one.
5) Select all three Parts
6) Edit menu>Process Project Logical Editor>Parts + Events>"Delete Empty Parts"
by vic_france
Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Score layout question

Not such a dumb question ;).. there's no "automatic" way. You'll have to drag them manually.
In order to avoid conflicts while moving the events, do this..
Temporarily disable "Show Chord Track", from the Scores menu >Adavanced Layout.
If you have several markers, Shift+double-click on the first one (to select them all), then drag the selection higher (either with the Hand tool, or, as I prefer, by using key commands for the four Graphic Nudge functions).
You can now reactivate "Show Chord Track".
Of course, if you'd prefer to keep the Markers in place, and lower the Chord symbols, you now know how to do that too ;).
by vic_france
Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chord Track

.. ah, o.k., you want a harmony note for every melody note that is played (whereas the chord track itself will just give sustained chords)?
I've just tried duplicating a MIDI melody Part three times, transposing each, such that at least the first block of notes formed a chord to fit the first chord in the chord track, then used the Chord track option "Map to Chord Track", on the three selected Parts, but the result is disappointing.. it merely transposes notes that are outside the current chord to fit, but doesn't necessarily make a useful chord.

..even just using "Follow Chord Track" in the Inspector of each MIDI track, using "Single voice" (and then selecting "Alto" etc.) is not really convincing :(
by vic_france
Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Track/Rack Instruments Panel

Leftism wrote:How can I delete the GA One plugin?

Click on the plugin name, which opens the drop down menu, and select "No VST Instrument".
by vic_france
Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Time sig copy/ paste question

I started a new project with an alternating time sig. of 7/4 , 4/4. I copy/ pasted the sig. markers into the timeline & it added a measure of 2/4 before returning to 4/4.
What would be the reason for this? Please clue me in!
Thanks
IMHO, a bug! :P
Yes, I can confirm your findings (and it is even worse if you don't copy that last 4/4).
However, (at least, here) the problem seems to exist only when copying the Time Signature Track in the Project window.. it works fine if, instead, you do so from inside the Tempo Track Editor window.
by vic_france
Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ruler Subdivisions

I am guessing that the original poster is referring to the Custom Ruler tracks, which indeed always display 16ths, whatever the current Quantize setting, unfortunately.
I haven't yet given up hope that we'll eventually get correct subdivisions for the Ruler tracks, just like we eventually got then for the Project window (so, just be patient, but don't try to hold your breath in the meantime ;) )
by vic_france
Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How can I just record some piano midi and let Cubase fol

(Ah I've just seen that Thinkingcap has written, in two lines, what I have just used an entire paragraph for :P )..

Is this the full version of Cubase? (I'm not sure if the following is available in Cubase Artist/Elements)..
Anyways..
1) Once you have recorded your MIDI Piano Part, set the MIDI/Instrument Track from Musical Timebase to Linear Timebase (in the MIDI/Instrument track's Inspector, click on the "quarter-note" icon to change it into a "clock" icon).
(This has the result that Cubase's Tempo Track can now be modified without changing what you actually hear )
2) If you had the Tempo in the Transport Bar set to "Fixed", change it to "Track".
3) If necessary, drag your MIDI Part, such that the first downbeat corresponds with the appropriate downbeat in Cubase's Grid (in the simplest case, that would be, align the first played note with the start of a bar.. it is in fact a good idea, generally, to let Cubase have a couple of bars "breathing space" before the music starts anyways ;) )

There are now two methods available in Cubase (like Thinkingcap said ;) ) ..
(the first is maybe simpler, but the 2nd is probably more thorough, especially if the music isn't particularly rhythmic, with obvious downbeats).

Method #1..
Open the Piano track's MIDI Part in the Key Editor, select the Timewarp Tool, and working through from left to right, drag the bar lines, such that they correspond with the downbeats of your music (like I said, earlier, this will change Cubase's Grid to fit the music, without changing what is actually heard ).

Method #2..
4) Create a new MIDI track, routed to some percussive/metronome sound, put it into Record, and "tap" along to your recorded Piano track, playing, normally, quarter-notes, just as if you were "conducting" the music (it becomes quite easy to do this once you've gotten the hang of it, especially seeing as it was you who played the piano part in the first place. And, in any case, seeing as this "tapping" is just a regular MIDI track, you can edit it afterwards until you are satisfied that it fits your music nicely).
5) Put this "tapping" track into Linear Timebase also.
[EDIT] 5b) HughH has discovered a bug with the next two steps, if you have created your "tapping" from a combination of several tracks, or several Lanes on the same track..
If this is your case, then merge (glue) your tapping into a single track before proceeding! [/EDIT]
6) Select the MIDI Part that contains your "tapping", and set the Left and Right Locators to its boundaries.
7) Go to the MIDI Menu>Functions>"Merge Tempo from Tapping", and, in the dialog that opens, set "Tapping" to 1/4 (if that is what you had tapped ;) ), and checkmark the option "Begin at Bar Start".

That should be it ;) (You can now put your tracks back to Musical Timebase, if you wish, so you can now modify Cubase's tempo if desired, and the music will follow).

It's actually easier than it reads, especially after having done it a few times;). Good luck :).

Just to be completely exhaustive ( :oops: :) ) ..
Both those methods work with recorded Audio also, provided that you also, before doing any of the above, go into the Audio Pool, and switch off "Musical Mode" for each of the Audio clips.
by vic_france
Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How can I just record some piano midi and let Cubase fol

Both methods are OK but what if you could tap the tempo with your foot while playing, and use that info for feeding method #2 ? That should give you the most accurate tempo map since you were tapping it as you felt it while playing your part, instead of trying to recreate it afterwards.
[EDIT] I re-read the remainder of Dirk's post, and while the following method is basically the same, it does everything in realtime without having to duplicate the track then delete stuff etc. ;) )..

Well of course nothing prevents you from doing just that!.. provided you had a spare pedal that you can operate from your left foot (presumably, the right foot will be busy playing the piano's sustain pedal ;)..
You would open a 2nd MIDI track for recording, and use the Input Transformer to filter out the left pedal on the incoming piano track, and another Input Transformer on the 2nd track, filtering out everything except the left pedal. You would also use a 2nd module of that same Input Transformer, to convert that left pedal into some arbitrary MIDI note.
So at the end of your recording, you have both the piano Part and the tapping Part, all in the one pass, ready to perform the remaining steps in method #2 ;)
by vic_france
Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Score: how to get rid of transpose text?

(I can't really help at the moment.. I'm pretty sure I've seen that myself, but I cannot remember in what circumstances.. anyways, it was before Cubase 7.5).
I've just tried a mock-up of what you describe (including having bar handles visible etc.), and I don't get that text here.

EDIT.. just seen Steve's post.. was about to say the same thing ;).

Would it be possible to post the .cpr.. see what it looks like here?
by vic_france
Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Slice diagonally?

.. but.. never one to be beaten :P (although pathetically complicated in relation to the description originally given ;) )…
1) Select all the notes
2) Use the Knife tool to trim the end of the notes diagonally (yes, I know ;) )
3) Select the newly-trimmed notes, and copy them to the clipboard.
4) Transport menu>Locate Selection End
5) Paste
6) (making sure that it is just the newly-pasted notes that are selected)..
7) MIDI menu>Functions>Mirror
8) MIDI menu>Functions>Reverse
9) Set Snap mode to "Events"
10 ) Drag to the left, until the selection butts agains the original( trimmed) notes.
11) (optional) Select the newly-pasted notes and ctrl/cmd the knife tool (making sure that the knife passes through all selected notes), at the position that is the same as the end of the original notes before you had trimmed them ;).

(Try it.. it surprised me! :D )

EDIT...
I think the following modification to the above works just as well..
1) thru 3).. same as above
4) Select just the note that now ends the earliest
5) Paste
6) (making sure that it is just the newly-pasted notes that are selected)..
7) MIDI menu>Functions>Mirror
8) MIDI menu>Functions>Reverse
9) (optional) Select the newly-pasted notes and ctrl/cmd the knife tool (making sure that the knife passes through all selected notes), at the position that is the same as the end of the original notes before you had trimmed them ;).
by vic_france
Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 problem with score editing

Yes, there is currently a problem when the option "Afficher Hauteur de Note lors de l'insertion de Note" is activated (in English, that is the option "Animate Note Cursor").
by vic_france
Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Logical Editor, how create an event in position?

The Logical Editor can only insert an event if there is already an event there to trigger it (e.g. if it detects a note C3 with a velocity of 64, then Insert CC11=127 at that position.. or at that position + n bars/beats).
Unfortunately, the "current Song Position" is not a qualifying event on its own ;).
by vic_france
Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to see value of selected automation point in C7.5?

1) Was it always like this? I thought I remembered being able to see the current value of the selected automation point in the tooltip, which helped me position the points. Am I thinking of a different DAW? I can't remember ;)
2) Are there ways to A) manually specify a selected point's value or B) see what the value of the currently selected point is?
In the Info Line.
by vic_france
Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chord Lengths in chord track

In fact, DavidsMusic is correct, as far as the chord track playing back is concerned (I was about to reply the same thing as you, Steve, but I double-checked it first, and was indeed surprised to notice that the last chord cut off at the end of the next bar.)
On further exploration, this only happens with the final chord, so, the best I can come up with for now is to add an extra chord two bars later (could be the same chord, of course). (no promises, but I'll see if there is now any way to mute that unwanted final chord)…
Yes ;).. Just make sure that the final chord is undefined.
So, let's start again..
Insert an extra chord, without defining it (so it is still "X") at the place where you want your final audible chord to stop.
by vic_france
Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Locking notes position

If you don't want Quantize to affect everything inside the MIDI Part, just select the ones that you do want to quantize (or, Select All, then de-select the few that you don't ;) ).
by vic_france
Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: generate harmony voices then edit pitch

I am guessing that the harmony voices are still being determined by the Chord Track. I think all you need to do is, for each of the newly-created audio tracks, set "Follow Chord Track" to "Off".
by vic_france
Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Duplicating A Complete Section With Range

But what I want to do is -duplicate- that A section... butt up against the first A section and right before the B section. So how do I duplicate that section. Does one insert empty bars where A2 goes and -then- paste? Or is there a faster way?
After having done "Global Copy", place your Cursor at the end of the A section, then Edit menu>Range>"Paste Time".
by vic_france
Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Time Signatures and Locking the grid??

Are your 8 songs placed sequentially, or simultaneously? In the former case, there is no problem.. just insert the appropriate Time Signature/Tempo at the start of each song.
In the 2nd case, you could make use of the new Versions function, such that each song (which is presumably starting at the same place) will call up its own Version of the Signature track and Tempo track.
by vic_france
Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Automation suggestion - Do you agree?

Yes, it would be great to have that as simply as you describe, but it is nonetheless possible now anyways.. set the L and R Locators, set the Automation Panel to "Trim", and Fill to "Loop", and move your fader while Cubase is in Stop mode.
by vic_france
Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Project Logical Editor Select Selected Note every bar

(If I may just chip in ;) )..
That screenshot is fine, except..
You need to change the parentheses.. don't mix "And" and "Or" inside the same parentheses. Should be like this..
Line #1 And (Line #2 Or Line #3 or Line #4 Or Line #5)
by vic_france
Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help pls - Hide muted notes in score?

Part boundaries..
If your situation is that you have several Parts on a MIDI track, and, for example, one of them has notes that occur beyond the Part start or end boundaries, these notes will normally be visible, unless you do..
Preferences>Scores>Editing>"Unlock Layouts when editing single parts".
One caveat with this, however.. If you have already done some Layout editing (e.g. spacing of bars etc.) on the staff containing these MIDI Parts, you will lose the Layout editing when you change the status of that Preference.
by vic_france
Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You tell me the chords, now give me the note numbers

Well, if you set Preferences>Event Display>Chords>Pitch Notation to "MIDI + MIDI Note Number", you get just that ;). (or have I misunderstood?)
by vic_france
Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Using "Merge tempo from tapping" with MIDI track?

I think you just need to switch the MIDI tracks from Musical Timebase to Linear Timebase, before applying the function "Merge Tempo from Tapping".
(btw, that piano sounds lovely ;) )
by vic_france
Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sustain midi data editing - what happened?

Best workaround I've found so far.. create a macro..
1) First create a Logical Editor preset..
Upper Section..
Type is___Equal___Controller___And
Value 1___Equal___64

Lower Section..
Value 2___Round By___127

Function = "Transform".
Name your preset, e.g. "Round CC#64"

Macro..
Name, e.g. "Old Sustain Pedal"
Process Logical Preset - Round CC#64
MIDI - Thin Out

Any CC#64 values that were lower than 64 get transformed to zero, and any equal or above 64 get transformed into 127, and, (usually ;) ) any duplicates get removed. YMMV ;).
by vic_france
Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Using "Merge tempo from tapping" with MIDI track?

It might also be useful to drag the MIDI Parts (including your "tapping"), such that it starts on a Cubase bar start.. makes the job for Cubase a bit simpler ;). (and don't forget to put the "tapping" track into Linear Timebase too)
by vic_france
Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sustain midi data editing - what happened?

SoundComposer wrote:So cool Vic! Thank you. I don't know that much about macros but I will try to create it :) Should be able to Google it ;)

See pg.714 of the Cubase 7 documentation, it is quite easy to follow ;).
by vic_france
Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Possible Noob Question: Tempo Change Click Count In?

I usually do it this way..
(lets say I want a 1 bar count-in before the start of the new tempo)..
I create a MIDI track, routed to a metronome sound, and record one bar of click during the first bar of the new tempo.
I then switch that MIDI track over to Linear Timebase, set Snap to "Events", then drag-copy that one bar click Part backwards, such that the end of the copied Part butts against the start of the original. (If necessary I can then delete the original, although I am more likely to want to keep it).
by vic_france
Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi send to VSTi ?

If you actually switch on the MIDI send button at the top-left of the Send slot, you will now see a "Not Connected", which you can now click on, to select from the drop-down menu.
by vic_france
Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tempo adjustment

... On the bad file, when I ...
Does this "bad" file actually play ok? (i.e. before trying to change the tempo).
Try this..
Select it, in the Project window, then, Audio menu>Bounce Selection. This will create a new file, hopefully, stripped of whatever it was that was making it behave strangely.
by vic_france
Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hiding Time Signatures in Cubase 6.5 Score

It's wonderful how a screenshot can point to something that one would normally not consider important to mention when merely describing in writing :)…
At first look, I was completely stumped, because, in the simple test recipe I had done here (Cubase 6.5.5 on Mac OSX 10.8.5), it worked perfectly.
The only thing that was different.. which I could only tell from your screenshot, was that your staff uses polyphonic voicing.. so I switch to polyphonic, adding a 2nd voice (didn't even need to add any notes to that voice).. and.. sure enough.. the problem is exactly as you describe!
So, yes it is a bit buggy.. I eventually managed to Hide the time signature, by lassoing it, then using the "H" button on the extended toolbar. (might even have to try doing it more than once.. didn't work first time for me either ;) ).. hope it works for you too :).
by vic_france
Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Separate control over duplicated midi tracks ?

I want 3 midi channels with same settings as said bass/lead. ( low freq , mid freq , and high freq )
So i duplicate midi channels .
Just to be clear.. do you mean MIDI Channels , or MIDI Tracks ?
If you duplicate the MIDI Tracks , then the duplicates all respond on the same MIDI Channel (and will therefore all receive the same incoming MIDI data).
If you want independence between them, then you need to send each (duplicated) MIDI Track either to its own instance of the instrument, or if the instrument is multitimbral (such as Kontakt 5, for example), then at least set each track to a different MIDI Channel, and load up the same preset to each of those channel slots in Kontakt.
by vic_france
Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Question Or F/R Global Copy Range Selection

But then it wouldn't be "global" ;).. you'd have to select all the tracks (including tempo track etc) manually . At least, the way it is now, all you have to do is set L and R Locators, and it copies everything.
There is the option, Preferences>Editing>"Cycle follows Range Selection", which may or may not simplify your situation, depending on whether you were already using the Range tool.. it will set L and R Locators as you set a Range (doesn't work the other way round, though ;) ).
by vic_france
Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No presets in Chorder

My post at the end of the following topic refers to the same problem on Mac, but the princple should be the same.. you need to copy the Chorder presets subfolder from the Cubase 7 Program folder into the “\Users\<user name\AppData\Roam- ing\Steinberg\Cubase 7\”. folder.
http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=30941&start=50
by vic_france
Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Screwed up chord track

Been trying to do it but I'm told the file is too big...it's just over 2MB and apparently 2MB is the limit..so looks like I've had it..thanks anyway.......Kevin
Surely, you can save an edited version, maybe without audio tracks, and the VST instruments unloaded, for example?
Anyways, I'm pretty sure that Steve was asking you if any of the MIDI tracks were using Follow Chord Track in the mode "Scales" (or at least, something other than the option "Chords")
by vic_france
Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FX channel tracks can't route to groups!

The following won't change the situation for already-existing tracks, but, go into Preferences>VST, and disable the option "Connenct Sends automatically for each newly created Channel".
by vic_france
Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase to Logic?

Should be totally possible ;)
However, if your colleague is worried, how about bouncing all the Cubase instrument tracks to audio first (portable disc space permitting, of course), then just using audio tracks in Logic.. maybe with Logic's own FX?
by vic_france
Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Two questions about playback in the Score Editor.

1. Is it possible to start or set the playback at the mouse position in the score editor? (If not, is it possible to move the transport playback location to a specific location by perhaps clicking on a note?)
Shift+Alt click at any position in the Score, puts the Play Cursor at that position (then of course play resumes from there ;) )
2. Is it possible to playback just a set of selected notes in the score editor?
Select the desired notes, then Transport Menu>"Play Selection Range".
by vic_france
Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Soundflower audio input to audio channel (OS X)

presuming that you also want your "regular" audio inputs/outputs, you would need to create an "Aggregate Device" in the Apple Audio MIDI setup.app, consisting of your usual Audio interface + Soundflower 64.
Then of course, set the audio interface in Cubase to be this new Aggregate Device (it should show in the list in Device Setup).
by vic_france
Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Scoring: Hide Measure 0?

I'm presuming that you are using bar 0 as a lead in? If you are seeing it in the Score, that suggests to me that you actually have a MIDI Part that starts at bar 0. If it really contains nothing during bar 0, get rid of it altogether (if it is the start of your piano track, simply drag the start boundary of the Part to the right, so that it starts at bar 1). If, on the other hand, it does contain needed MIDI data (which doesn't need to be seen in the Score), then split the Part at bar 1, and go to Preferences>Scores>Editing, and activate "Unlock Layout when editing single parts".. then of course exclude the split part that contains bar 0 when you make the selection for the Score Editor.
by vic_france
Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: how to copy CC to AUTOMATION ?

It's a two-stage operation..
1)
Select the MIDI Part, then, MIDI Menu>Functions>Extract MIDI Automation.
You should now have an active Automation lane for CC#1 (you'll see the curve, and when you hover over it, you'll also see the individual nodes)
2)
Open a 2nd automation lane, and set it to "Velocity Shift"
Using the Range tool, select all the CC#1 automation, and just drag the selection down to the Velocity Shift lane.
by vic_france
Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: DRAWING MIDI NOTES TO GRID

Yes, so long as Snap is activated, that is what you'd get if you draw, using the Line Tool.
by vic_france
Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Signature track for every single MIDI track!

+1 :)
.. although its implementation might be a "Pandora's Box".. I'm just trying to imagine how complicated it would make the Grid look in the Project window and the MIDI Editors (apart from the Score Editor, of course ;) ).
by vic_france
Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: tempo matching to 6/8

I've just tried experimenting with this, and I agree, we certainly need an option for dotted quarter-notes (which is probably the way you'd be wanting to do the tapping).
However, it works fine if you tap all the 8th-notes, set all tracks (including your new "tapping" track) to Linear Timebase, use "8th-notes" as your base when doing "Merge Tempo from Tapping", and then change your time signature to 6/8.
by vic_france
Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Remap CC7 to CC11

Ok, so I'm on the right track, which is good! :)

I believe the Transformer is on, if it functions like audio inserts, that is, you just select it from the plugin menu and it's on. :)
The Insert slot has an On/Off button, which is blue when active.

I was under the impression that Cubase 6 doesn't have Input Transformer, but am I wrong? Anyway, I don't have the icon anywhere the miditrack.
Top-right of the track's Inspector.. looks like a "crooked arrow".
by vic_france
Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Strange MIDI input problem

Are those notes active for the VST Quick Controls, in your Devices Setup? Unlike for Track Quick Controls, any MIDI input that is used there takes precedence over the "regular" MIDI inputs.
by vic_france
Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multiple Arranger Tracks

While I can see that it might be easier to build different Arrangements, having a separate Arranger Track (or at least, have "Versions" of the current one) for each arrangement, it is still possible to do so, even if the individual Arrangement Parts overlap, just by creating multiple Arranger Chains .
by vic_france
Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do I humanize without quantizing?

I can merely confirm your findings..
I built a simple MIDI Part, and duplicated it to a 2nd MIDI track, but setting that duplicate track to Linear Timebase. Performed the Logical Edit on each Part in turn.. worked fine on the track in Musical Timebase, total chaos on the track in Linear.
(Steve? Don your new green coat! ;) )
by vic_france
Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why are my Logical Editor Presets Missing?

Hi Vic,

I dont have the cubase 6 folder inside the preferences folder, should I be making these folders?

I am running cubase artist 6.5.5
Are you looking in the correct Library folder? There is the local Library folder (not that one ;) ), and also a Library folder in your User Account (If you are not seeing that Library folder, then Alt-click in the Finder's "Go" menu to see it temporarily, or there are solutions to make it permanently visible.. the easiest is to open the Terminal , and paste this..
chflags nohidden ~/Library
by vic_france
Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase not ignoring some controllers...

I suspect the culprit is the VST Quick Controls (in the Devices>Device Setup menu). Either set its entire input to "Not Connected" (but you'd be missing out on some cool features ;) ), or change the individual controllers to others that you can afford.
by vic_france
Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase not ignoring some controllers...

They are most useful when you have a VST Instrument in the VSTi rack.. you can control their knobs via MIDI.
by vic_france
Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do you assign a MIDI controller to the MIDI Fader?

Use the Generic Remote Device (should be able to find all the necessary info for that in the manual, pg.302, I think ;) )
by vic_france
Sun May 25, 2014 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can you use User Symbols in different projects?

You can also Export/Import them either individually or as a palette (right-click on a User symbol, click "Edit" to open the User Symbol Edit window, then use the "Functions" dropdown menu).
by vic_france
Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glued two unrelated audio bits. Any way to undo this?

If I am understanding you correctly, select that Audio part (what you refer to as the "box" ;) ), go to the Audio menu, and "Dissolve Part".
by vic_france
Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Another Outlandish Request: Multiple Tempo Tracks

If I am reading correctly, there seem to be two requests here..
1) Multiple Tempo (and presumably, also, Time Sigature) Tracks.. for trying out different tempo variations.
Already accomplished.. the Tempo and Time Signature tracks have Versions. Just link the Version to the corresponding version of the tracks.

2) Simultaneous multiple Tempo and Time Signature tracks (for polyrhythm, especially, notation.. it is already possible without notation, by means of the above method, and judicious use of tracks set to linear Timebase).
But as regards notation, yes, that would be wonderful.(In the meantime, print several partial scores, physically paste the necessary bars over one another, and scan/reprint the result ;) )
by vic_france
Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can Cubase do this...?

Your first step, however, must be to use either the TimeWarp tool, or the function "Merge Tempo from Tapping" (or a combination of both ;) ), so that the Cubase grid will eventually match up with your improvisations. No amount of quantizing can sort out the score legibility problems if the grid (i.e. bars and beats) doesn't line up with what you actually played. Once you have done that (there's plenty of documentation about those two functions, and many additional posts in here), you can then use Cubase's Score Display Quantize functions to clean up the way it looks ;).
by vic_france
Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: On which page in the manual(s) is 'Safe Start Mode'?

Seems a pity to have a topic about Safe Start, without cutting to the chase and actually saying, here, that, it is done by holding down Shift+Alt+Ctrl (Shift+Alt+Cmd on Mac) while the Startup splashscreen is appearing ;).
by vic_france
Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Octaver

The easiest way is by using the Transformer Insert FX on the desired Instrument (or MIDI) track.
Set it up like this..

Upper section..
Type Is___Equal___Note

Lower section..
Value 1___Add___12 (Parameter 1)___(Parameter 2 is inactive in this case)

Function = "Insert".

(Be aware that only the original note is actually recorded .. this is a playback function ;) )
by vic_france
Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Logical Editor / Input Transformer Help?

(absolutely not your fault ;), but there was a fairly similar request not very long ago, and what started out as a genuine offer to find some kind of solution degenerated to the point of no longer wanting to "help" further ;) ).
So, starting afresh ;)..
Question #1: The notes that are already in the MIDI Part, are they therefore unimportant to the end result?
If so, I think I can see a two-stage solution (albeit a bit complicated to actually set up)..
Step #1: Like you have already pointed out, use the Transformer Insert FX to randomize those notes (giving you a set of completely random notes on output.. up to yourself to decide the necessary range).
Step #2: Add the Chorder Insert FX into a 2nd slot, and for each of the possible incoming notes (i.e; fed from the Transformer), assign an outgoing note that is for example, either C, E or G (maybe in different octaves, for greater variety).
So the result should be as follows..
For each note that is already in the MIDI Part, a totally random note will be output to the Chorder, and the Chorder will output the note that you have assigned to that received note.
by vic_france
Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Logical Editor / Input Transformer Help?

A possibly easier step #2 would be to use a 2nd instance of the Transformer Insert FX, to Transpose the randomized incoming notes to Scale (but of course the result would be less specific).
by vic_france
Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Length grid changed

Keith99 wrote:time signature change? tempo change?

.. and also, is the track set to Linear Timebase rather than Musical Timebase ("clock" icon or "quarter-note" icon?)
by vic_france
Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic