Search found 58 matches

Return

Re: Cubase 7.5 not compatible w/ Windows 8.1?

i was glad to do the upgrade. From 7 to 7.5 was not that expensive and you get a lot of new stuff.
Groove agent 4 is awesome by the way. And actually this seems to be a very stable upgrade. Working several weeks now with it and no crashes, not one error, no issues at all... On the forum there seem to be enough people who share this view. But a big difference with the release of version 7 initially. :-)
Another thing to notice: you're old installation remains so the old songs will boot up with the previous release so nothing gets impacted if you don't want to.
by roel
Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 not compatible w/ Windows 8.1?

cubase 7.5 is working perfect on my windows 8.1 and "on site" steinberg has released a compability sheet, so everything should work fine with win 8.1
by roel
Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sound of Original Samples

number of grains = 1
duration =max (1000)
When grains with a Duration setting above 10 are used, the sound gets the pitch of the sample.
position is= max to left
speed=100%
no spreads or randoms
this should get you near to the original, but granular is not a sample player as you stated above
by roel
Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is the USB-eLicenser stick always needed when using Cuba

They have a strict policy on loosing dongles. They replace it once for free normally if you are registered properly. That was in fact what i was told when i lost my dongle in Brasil.
If someone has got its dongle more often replaced, i'm glad to here about that.

The quickest way to replace it is to call them (by phone) They will send you new licenses.
As far as i know there is no way to operate cubase without dongle, unless you use internet downloads.
The lucky one who has your dongle actually just has to download the software and he can use it for free if he stays away from the internet, so that is the very known issue with dongles. Many aren't happy about it, but untill the policy changes it will probably be allways like that. The software is open for everybody for downloading, but it is the dongle that is the key to make it operable. (just like a car)

You get used to it. After that one time i never lost it again and let's hope i will never loose it again.
by roel
Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: question about the tempo in Cubase 7 (always quarter not

i'll give this a try but the question is confusing.

on the transport bar you can setup the time signature.
In your case you have chosen to have 7 times an 8th note to be 1 measure.
So cubase shows every 7 times an 8th note as one measure in the ruler on top of the project window.
that signature is independent from any BPM and the same thing counts for the ruler

so it doesn't matter how you set up things but it is important for things like the metronome
on 7/8 you get 7 beeps before you go to the next measure
on 14/16 you get 14 beeps on the same tempo.

7/8 is thus the same as 14/16
This can look like it is tempo related but it isn't.
it is just the way you want your project to be presented on the main window.

BPM stands for beats per minute. standard you get 120 beats per minute, regardless of what time signature you use.
Metronomewise the BPM counts each half second (bpm 120) as a "beep" also regardless of the time signature.
the higher the bpm the faster the beeps go, but they allways count following your timesignature.

so the tempo is used for adapting to your needs/feeling on how to play something and not on what time signature you want to do this.

The only thing where the signature and tempo are important is when you start modifying things f.e. with quantisation.
there you define how you want to correct your recorded data to your choise of "grid".

you should spend some time in getting used to the basics of recording data on a daw.
it isn't that difficult and it is very logical.
do some trial and get used to the feel of it.
and probably you will get a feel for it.

hope this helps,

kind regards,
r.
by roel
Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EastWest PLAY 4 issue

hey,

to further add to this strange fenomena i am going to post something stupid at first sight, but i tested it and it seems to affect the spiking...

since reading the last post here above and based on other posts we were allways looking towards the graphic drivers. i changed something just because above the post said... "when i move the mouse"...

so i changed the mouse settings of windows: config>mouse>pointers in to another scheme (i took the inverted scheme)... and guess... at first sight for now... bye bye spikes...

since i do not know if this is a lucky hit or temporarily hit or a faulty one... if anyone can check this and post his result on trying this out. for me this seems not logical but since the difference is notable on my system, why not give it a try... it is just changing the mouse scheme

my config: laptop, win 8.1, play 4 and halion sonic 2 started just to have something to play, motu ultralight mk3

kind regards
r.
by roel
Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone using a touchscreen with C7.5?

i'm using a touscreen as a second screen and assign the mixer to it.
works like a charm and makes a big difference in workflow.
watch out for certain types of touchscreens (as the one i bought :-) ) for live because depending on the type of touch screen you will use they can be very sensitive to environmental interaction :-)
(fly on the screen issue with certain types of touchscreens, interaction with laser, interaction with smokemachines, ...°

look here for more info: http://www.eizo.com/global/library/basics/basic_understanding_of_touch_panel/

and here (a bit strange site-layout but reasonable good info) : http://www.dmccoltd.com/english/museum/touchscreens/technologies/FeaturesInfrared.asp

kind regards
R.
by roel
Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Plugins GUI lagging & causing clicks.

you have a variation of the issue that is frankly quite annoying for a lot of people, but it is system specific.

they are looking in to this and hopefully someone of the op's read it soon and jump in

here's a general answer on the topic, but it is more focussed on the clicks/spikes and your problem seems a bit different:

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=53066&start=50 (and lots of others)

The graphic performance appears to be linked to the latest drivers' implementation, with some of the improvements made for gaming and 3D graphics causing real-time spikes with particular plug-ins.
These plug-ins all share common characteristics - they over-ride the default behaviour of the pointer when hovering on the controls, so it might be related to a particular GUI framework.
I'm no developer, so I forwarded the outcome of my tests to the proper people in-house.

They were actually already on it and the GUI handling is being revised - it is quite unlikely that the drivers will be written the "old way" in the future, so it must adapt to the way drivers are working now and will probably work in the near future.

By the way, during my tests the behaviour of Cubase 7/7.5 and Cubase 6/6.5 was the same concerning this.
But Cubase 6/6.5 only shows the average VST Performance, so the spikes and fluctuations might look like a normal fluctuation due to the load, especially with a lot of plug-in instances or working at low latencies.
When looking at the Cubase 7/7.5 real-time meter, it might trick into thinking that the performance is much different, but the only way to directly compare the two versions is by comparing the average meter only.

when you have a lagging mouse when hovering over the plugin this looks also graphical driver related. i got a workaround for a nvidea 650 just by changing the mouse scheme of the os to an inverted setting. this seems odd, but i just can say this was a workaround. it is a weird thing that happens on these systems. others have posted on the forum that rolling the graphics driver (nvidea's) back to an older version did give a solution for them.

this gui thing is nasty and hopefully they find a good fix for it, but this isn't as easy as it looks because there are a lot of different systems on the planet. i guess that meanwhile you just have to give it a trial and error. change mouse things, graphics driver, and software.

also a warning is given for specific software here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/752/windows-7-tuning-tips-for-audio-processing/

Some graphic card tools like Ati Power Play and Nvidia Powermizer interfere with real-time audio, since they prioritize the graphic card performance over other processes in the system. Try to disable or uninstall these tools.

hope you find it soon;
kind regards,
r.
by roel
Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VST Performance Spikes

Jenks,

you are definitly not alone. These problems occur on specific systems and are well documented now.

Steinberg has given the following general reply on this issue:

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=53066&start=50 (and lots of others)

The graphic performance appears to be linked to the latest drivers' implementation, with some of the improvements made for gaming and 3D graphics causing real-time spikes with particular plug-ins.
These plug-ins all share common characteristics - they over-ride the default behaviour of the pointer when hovering on the controls, so it might be related to a particular GUI framework.
I'm no developer, so I forwarded the outcome of my tests to the proper people in-house.

They were actually already on it and the GUI handling is being revised - it is quite unlikely that the drivers will be written the "old way" in the future, so it must adapt to the way drivers are working now and will probably work in the near future.

By the way, during my tests the behaviour of Cubase 7/7.5 and Cubase 6/6.5 was the same concerning this.
But Cubase 6/6.5 only shows the average VST Performance, so the spikes and fluctuations might look like a normal fluctuation due to the load, especially with a lot of plug-in instances or working at low latencies.
When looking at the Cubase 7/7.5 real-time meter, it might trick into thinking that the performance is much different, but the only way to directly compare the two versions is by comparing the average meter only.

Actually there are lots and lots of post about this issue on the forum. A good starting point is by using the search function on top of the forum and type "asio spikes" or "graphic performance" as search terms. You will find lots and lots of different findings.

Some have found a temporarily solution by rolling back the graphics driver to an older version. Some have confirmed that even changing a OS mouse scheme to an inverted setting can be a solutiong. Others have posted that a complete reinstall solved the issue. Also online you can find similar warnings when using specific graphic related software.

Some graphic card tools like Ati Power Play and Nvidia Powermizer interfere with real-time audio, since they prioritize the graphic card performance over other processes in the system. A solution there could be to disable or uninstall these tools.

Hope this sets you a little on track of the problem you have.
Maybe SB should make a more general posting about this issue, since this is rather frequently asked.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Assigning controllers

i guess you mean the drumpads of the A800 ?

These are not controllers but drumpads, and they generate a midi note.
If you open a track and create a part on that track, double click on that part to open the key editor.
play the pad and see on what note number they are assigned to.
you can change the note number within the A800. You don´t need any remote editor for that.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hallo guys ....

i have the same problem, but i am a little confused here...!!
... is the problem mousepointer , the "play 4 -version" or the graphiccard? or the combination of all together making a mess in Cubase 7?

It looks like the graphics rendering (graphic drivers) of some gui elements is able to affect the asio-performance. When hovering a mouse over these gui elements that causes the spike. So it is not the mouse driver but the location of the moise pointer (and the fact you hover over certain gui elememts) that is the trigger for the spike. (hovering over) Most of the gui elements that seem to affect the asio performance seem to have dynamic content in the gui element itself. (examples are buttons that light up, the meter overview in the mixer, ...) As the SB-op in his post said they define this as gui-handling.

i tried it out ... thanx to roel and it works a little. I still get high "realtime peaks" , but not so often as before when i was moving my mouse.

The fact that the inverted mouse scheme indeed helps is on its own completely bizar, but the fact is that it actually helps. But don't ask me for a logical explanation because I can't find a logical answer why this changes the spike behaviour.
To add further on that inverted mouse scheme. I Actually got completely rid of the spikes just by changing one of the mouse icons in that inverted mouse scheme. (the hand) In het inverted scheme the only icon that is white is that hand-icon. Changing that into (in my case a black arrow) led to the spikes completely dissapearing. Again, this is completely bizar, but it is a possible workaround.
But, as you probably have noted, this is also not working on all graphic cards. It is confirmed for NVIDEA 650 en intel grapics. For ATI this was no solution. (see posts catonundo) But since you have two ATI's i see that you could confirm some improvement. Great! But it will be waiting for an update for a real fix of the gui handling.

i tried to downgrade the playversion to 3.04 (i cant find the 3.47) , but nothing changed. I will try to downgrade my ATI -driver and tell you what happend

http://www.soundsonline.com/Downloads

My Pc : i have two ATI 5450 , Cpu i7 3770k , 16Gb Ram .. normal HDD (SATA), Win7 64bit Prof. CCC with Play4 and Cubase artist 7.5... soundcard Tascam DM3200 with Firewirecard

Greetings from Athens

Socrates
by roel
Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Midi sound through usb interface

do you have de behringer driver correctly installed? It should normally say BEHRINGER USB AUDIO.

look for this movie on youtube where they explain where to look for the driver, the install procedures for the device with cubase and the basics on connecting the vsti's. it is a different model but it should help you out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8vbJL6Y2U8

If everything is correctly installed and you have the behringen asio driver connected, and the output is assigned as you say, then the next thing is try to launch a synth;

Press F11 to pop up the intrument rack|track.
Select one of the available synths that come with any cubase.
Cubase will ask you if it should create a midi track for the synth. Press yes.
Your synth should be connected, and you should have sound.

I would not try to use the microsoft general midi engine that is standard connected when you create a midi track because this thing has a very high latency. Cubase comes standard with enough good synths to get you started. If you want more to try out you can find lots of them f.e. on the kvr site.

http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Real-time peak & Average load too high with 3 VSTi

are you using the 3 vti's fully loaded with 16 midi channels and outputs ?
if yes: try to split them up into multiple vsti's
i say this because if i look at your jpg i notice that your system uses only half of the cores

this is related to the way the system handles your vsti's. if a single core has to deal with all 16 channels, it is normal that this core gets a high strain. by splitting that multichannel vsti into several vsti's you give more room to cubase to decide how to spread the strain over the different cores. But this is very vsti dependend also. Also, i'm not saying cubase will keep the strain to that single core in this scenario and actually cubase will spread the strain over multiple cores when needed, but maybe the program is indeed doing this a little late in comparison with some of the competition. (and thus suggesting you are running out of juice while it isn't if you compare to actual cpu load, but actually maximizes core usage before switching to another core)

the real time asio meter displays the highest processor load on the most strained core, indicating how much room there is left for the audiodriver before trouble starts. when you split them up, you will actually see the real time asio go down (but you will use a littlebit more memory due to the loading of the different dll's)

if you want real access to the core handling, the best way for many is for the moment a program where you can assign your own cores per instance.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

also: if hyperthreading is off. put it back on. it doubles the amount of available core.
since you have an i7 3770k you should have 8 cores.
the issue with hyperthreading was only there for first generations i7's.
the goodies for your processor for cubase (imho and then we talk about spikes (which is a different thing) is to disable turbo (if you can) and c-states. (which are core parking)
but spikes itself are mostly related to gui-handling, and that is a completely different topic related to the graphics processing that get higher then with older drivers priorities

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i shouldn't worry too much in your case. CPU load on the jpg you gave is just 36%, so there is plenty of room. the high readings are just a correct feedback you get that one of the cores is working hard in your case. There were cores that were allmost idle on your jpg.

Also, a said above by jaslan, there are some real heavy dudes on the market today if it's about processor load. For example UH-E's are notorious about this. Some reaktor ensembles are pretty heavy, and so on...and so on...

They are all fantastic synths, but they consume a lot.

The program i use for balancing heavy setups is vienna ensemble pro 5. If you look around on the forum, you will note that most of the guys who have very big systems (not me :-) ) are using this. I can confirm that the difference is ... huge. (even when you use it on a single system) Handling vsti's in that host is for the moment probably one of the best choices to do this, but you can suspect that SB and others are very aware of this and are trying to catch up.
But not only the program uses less resources per vsti (strange fact but very notable) but your balancing between the cores will be as flat as the mediterenian sea. But the program comes with a price so try the demo first to see if the extra workflow and knowledge about routing you will have to take into account, are good for you.

And offcourse you can participate on marsmans poll and vote for changes under the hood. :-)
Yesterday we were just just a few votes behind.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can I set each kit piece to different channels?

This feature is only available in the full version of Halion Sonic. In the amplifier subpage of the edit page on every drum layer you can define a different output for each note. Together with lots of other functions these are not available in the free halion sonic SE that comes standard with cubase.

It makes sense to try out the 30 day demo of the full halion sonic to see if the vast amount of functionality's suits your needs, but i admit this could have been a very nice feature if it was opened for the SE version too.
The full Halion Sonic is quite a beast though but there are others in that segment of the market too.

If it's about multichanneling drums i would indeed rather point towards the new groove agent 2 that is specifically made for drums and actually has plenty of very decent kits and far more functionality than you will find in the halion sonic which is an overall workstation. Also the content available to GA2 is only limited to your imagination since the database is open for importing own samples.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: assign flex phrases to trigger pads to create key switch

have found the solution. just for the record.

i have to use the snapshot variation (rightclicking) on each trigger pad to let the keyswitches function so that each triggerpad contains a different plex phrase. thus select a triggerpad, select a variation, take the snapshot
if i do this for each triggerpad (and each variation has a different plexphrase) i got the result.

the question remains though if someone knows how to assign different plexphrases to midi-notes so i can use them as keyswitches without the workaround of the triggerbuttons... that would be even better
by roel
Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: assign flex phrases to trigger pads to create key switch

right click on the trigger button and choose snapshots variation
then you take a snapshot of the variation that is currently being used in the flex phraser

it is AWESOME to have different plex phrases on one keyboard layout and when you edit these phlexphrases yourself the possibilities are endless
but i do not find a way to assign the different phrases directly to the keyboard... that would even be greater
have not found a single preset that is using this... pffft..., but i`m still on the process of going trough things :-)

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

fieuw... that was quite an operation. :-)
ok... and now music!

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Padshop Pro preset browser

i fully agree with you. klick-(filter)-select over and over again is bad workflow.
this isn't optimal and they know how to change it. for example in the halion sonic 2 (full version) they give an integrated media browser. works like a charm. Also every native instrument works with an decent integrated browser and lot's of others do it too. but no idea when this one will be fixed, and don't know if it 's to be called a fix because other than bad workflow there is nothing to fix...

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to insert one of the new synths into a program?

a quick search in the mediabay will learn you that for every engine in halion there is an init preset provided.
in the middle of the mediabay there is a small grey (or blue) field. this is the search field.
type in init and there you go.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do I Load Halion5 64 bit

Hey,

Just saw that the downloadlinks are broken.
Best to report it at one of the admins.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/dow ... ion_5.html

The 32 and 64 bit installers are both included in the package.
THe first screen you will see will ask you what type of install you want.
Choose the 64 bit and off you go.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

and the shopsupport is maybe a better thing:

Online Shop Support

If you have any questions related to your order (status, refunds, etc.) please contact the customer support of our online shop partner asknet.
The link below provides access to contact information and additional FAQs.
Asknet Customer Service Center

https://shop.steinberg.net/cgi-bin/pages/rnfaq/ml=EN

You need your account for the steinberg shop to fill in the request form.

kindregards,
R.
by roel
Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i did pm helge voght but had no reaction.
maybe indeed a support request at steinberg support.
But it depends on where you live:

In the countries/regions listed below, we provide a support request form for registered users in MySteinberg.
Please check whether your product is currently supported by us!
BeNeLux
Canada
France
Germany, Austria and Switzerland
Italy
Portugal
Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland)
Spain
United Kingdom and Ireland

kind regards
R.
by roel
Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

funny positive wave, but confirmed. :)
everything running without issues.

kind regards,
R.

edit: +1
by roel
Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

can you make a video file of it ?
Since we won't have many issues in the coming months we can all look at this vid and give our opinion and thus keep things going on at the forum :P

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is going on with Cubase 7?

anyone needs a lawyer ? I guess there are some on the forum.
But I think it is time for you guys to look for one, since the discussion is going nowhere imho.

It reminds me to a fact that has really happened. A guy was so mad at his computer he threw it out of his window of his appartment one day. The machine was not working anymore. When i asked if he was sattisfied about it he said yes. It felt good and he needed to do that.
I think he was right. For some reason it was necessary for him, because he was too much focussed on the bad things, that it actually had to die to get rid of the negative spiral he was in. And he bougth a new machine a few days later. And his anger was over and everything went back to where it should be focussed on.
Was the new machine flawless. Sure not. But the momentum gave an end to the downward spiral.

So now you know what to do. And I can advise you to throw it out of the window at least from the second floor to be sure you will never ever see it in working order again.

But to stay on topic: what is going on with cubase... the latest release is awesome!
:P
by roel
Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 install problem: OFFICIAL statement ?

What "install problem"? I didn't have any issues, but I hate when people write that when I'm reporting a problem I've encountered.

While we're on this topic, perhaps someday there'll be an option to go back an upgrade without having to uninstall the entire version and then reinstall up to the previous upgrade?

Hey Ted,

That option does exist any time on any windows OS.
On the config screen where you can uninstall programs, you can choose an option "show updates".
Every update is listed there, as are those of cubase. You can choose to undo an update there.
So any software install|update of any program in the windows environment can be rolled back if you need it.

kind regards
R.
by roel
Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: copying a track to transfer to another project

and here the manual info (p.696) :)

Exporting and importing track archives (Cubase only)
You can export Cubase tracks (audio, FX, group, instrument, MIDI, and video) as track archives for import into other Cubase (or Nuendo) projects. All the information associated with the tracks will be exported (channel settings, automation tracks, parts and events, etc.). If you select the “Copy” option (see below), a separate “media” folder will be created, containing copies of all referenced audio files.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Some basic questions - i7 or Xeon E5?

hey,
FWIW... my opinion.

first this:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/xeon-e3-1200v2-workstation-desktop-guide.pdf

it gives an insight in the different architectures of intel.
Then think about what is your goal. The example above is an intel doc for CAD computing. So this is far heavier than audio processing.

Spending heavy amounts of cash on expensive cores is one thing. It is not every time the best solution for DAWs, certainly if budget is important. An expensive system needs to be alligned overall.

example taking from the internet:http://www.adkproaudio.com/choose2.asp

An alternative option is to spread the resources over multiple systems and link them.
Look for software like this:
http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/#
This software is add on for a DAW like cubase and makes a network of computers but they are handled within the DAW that acts as a master. The other systems are slaves.
It gives you an opportunity to go into some direction without spending all at once.
drawbacks: more workflow to learn and more dongles are needed (but a dongle is cheap)

also watch out for internal graphic cards of the i-family processors. For the moment they are stable since the last update, but when graphics need to be handled by the processor, this can interfere with the audio processing.

choosing between xeon an i7 is like choosing between fiat and bmw. So yes xeon is more stable, has broader pipelines, is build for servers and thus more durable, and so on. The price tag is likewise.

but with an i7 you can run 50 vstis nowadays without any problem within cubase as long as you take the core handling into account. (never do too much within one vsti, since it will blow a single core and blow your performance, and leaving a lot of power unused)

so hope this gives you some starting point. I hope others on the forum with studios will jump in and guide you towards more...

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: vstsoundfile for checkup

Hey dutch555,

I have seen more requests on howto on the forum.
thinking about a sort of quickstart guide on sound development with halion with examples that you can download is a great idea if it is not allready here on the forum somewhere, but i did not find that yet.

It is time intensive to make those guides. So: if enough people like the sounds, i probably will indeed make a clarification for it. :) If you have specific questions, just pm and i reply quickly because i am here often.

But i am not a pro or so on sound dev. ;)

Meanwhile i did make one particular preset today because i saw that one being asked several times.
There is a new vstfile to download where a drumset from halion has been multichanneled over the 32 different outputs of halion 5. It is very easy to do. So check it out.

Since this Halion preset kit that was used in the example has multiple layers on a single midinote it is important to switch the editor from "sel" to "all" on top of the map editor + for easy editing select the "enable midi mapping selection options" so you can switch between the different combined zones on those midi keys easily with a keyboard.

The next thing is go to the zone editor and go to the amplifier and on the aux tab you can find the different output settings for each midi note (since you have selected "all" it will look a bit red coloured)
play each note sequentially and each time you can select a different output for the sounds mapped to that midi note. Very easy.

But remember to put the outputs active in the instrument rack if you want to hear anything.

I have also added a drum player and midi-player with some content too, so that you can make your vstpreset into a little groove agent with a lot of output channels.
nothing fancy with the grooves though since i copied them from the real groove agent, but it is an example
the standard added flexphraser can in the same way be used. activate it and choose those drum presets. Lots of things to discover with a factory content configuration. also: Go to the user environment and give it your touch...

When you load this vstpreset for the first time the drumplayer and midiplayer and the flexphraser have been switched off, so select them in the program tree and then activate them if you want to use them.

note that this is just for posting an example of the multiple outs.
I had not enough outputs to assign all samples to a different output so the samples on the upper right of the keyboard are assigned to the standard output, but it is an example for some reason.
I am working on an improved example with efx and midi modifiers on each midi-note, but that is still several days to go before this is going to be posted. :)

have fun with it and then improve it !

download location:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=9e94c303c3e88283#cid=9E94C303C3E88283&id=9E94C303C3E88283%211425

name: power kit mchan example.vstrpreset

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Claps and castanets

In Halion it is a bit more complex i think then in Halion Sonic.

In Halion the output is assigned to the zone (which is the basic level of the program structure), but a zone can have multiple busses. (zone editor, manual p.118)
The AUX tab allows you to send the zone to the four global AUX busses and to directly route the zone to one of the plug-in output busses. (AUX 1-4) you can send the zone signal to the global, or, if available, the local AUX busses. You can control the signal level that is sent to the busses with the knobs AUX 1-4.
HALion allows you also to route a zone directly to one of the output busses. In this case, the zone does not pass through the layer, program and slot busses.
The Sample editor plays back the raw samples without processing the synthesis structure. Therefore, its output is not automatically the same as the output of the zone that uses the sample.

For Halion Sonic, with it's fixed program structure it is a lot easier to do:

in the amplifier subpage you can select the output for each drum instrument or loop slice separately.
(in the manual see p.77.)

Don't forget to assign multiple outputs in the instrument rack too for both cases.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: More Quick Controls and Global QC Manager

[quote="ggc"]Hi=) I would like more quick controls.

16 would suffice. (even better would be a little + sign that I could add as many as i would need per slot)

+1
by roel
Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

just for referencing to other people who are looking for the content
Untill the download link is repaired the direct download location is:

http://support.steinberg.de/ISOs/HALion_5_AppCont_1.iso
http://support.steinberg.de/ISOs/HALion_5_Content_2.iso

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Performance Overload even though resources are available

do not panic yet. THis has happened to many people before you.
Using a laptop for a daw, and internet, and probably everything else is not optimal for the daw.

The latency tool is actually very accurate and very sensitive in showing what is going on on the system and pointing down drivers. That is where it is meant for. But with a little tweaking and knowing what is going on, you can in most cases work around it.

- try to look and understand which drivers are the ones that are causing this. Try to find newer drivers or alternatives for it.
- Most of the time and foremost the most cases it is the wifi driver that is causing the very big timeouts.
- look if some software is causing trouble. That sounds stupid, but it is not. Some graphic cards software prioritizes the graphics on a system, wich causes trouble on the audio front.

- look for example at topics like this:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/optimisation-tips-for-your-windows-laptop.153970/
At the steinberg site you have one too, but it is a bit concentrated.
A very long one who handels allmost everything is here:
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/752/windows-7-tuning-tips-for-audio-processing/

Remember that it also makes sence to make different partitions on a laptop.
One with the system that has no network drivers installed, and another for internet and stuff.
The latter is a way to avoid those bad drivers.

Be smart and look step by step in optimizing your system, but do not start tweaking without thinking ;-)
and you will get it up and running without dropouts.

If reaper handles it well, that is great, but that is just because reaper does not drain your resources that much initially as cubase, but reaper will get in to the same trouble when you start bumping things up. They both use the same drivers.

hope you get it optimized,
kind regards,
R.
by roel
Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dongle Durability

i keep the dongle in an usb hub glued on the laptop next to the ilok and it stays there.
on gigs nobody comes in the neighbourhood of the laptop
i am yet in overtime for that one year treatment and hoping it will continue :)
but like any stick if you use it too much to bump in and out...

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dongle Durability

what would be excellent imho is that computer manufacturers would make a little usb hub on the inside of the laptop or the computer so that the dongle is not only hidden, but also safely stored. But if your gear gets stolen then you loose everything...

@Curteye: something like this :)
http://www.highsnobiety.com/2011/04/17/kix-berlin-concrete-usb-sticks/

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: fresh install of Cubase 7.5 + Halion 5

The Cubase dvd's have Halion SE2 content which is compleletly different from the Halion 5/Halion Sonic2 content.

Since the Halion Sonic SE engine (part of the cubase package) is a smaller brother from Halion 5, the content is included in the content available to the bigger members of the family. So you will see 3 different synths when everything is installed properly:
- Halion 5
- Halion Sonic 2 (comes bundled with Halion 5)
- Halion Sonic SE2

The combination of Cubase + Halion 5 gives you the following content in the Halion 5 browser :
- Halion 4 content
- Halion Sonic Factory content
- Halion SE2 Pro
- Halion SE2 Artist/hybrid
- Halion SE2 Basic

In halion Sonic SE2 you will only see the Halion SE2 content.
In halion Sonic 2 you will have the content of Halion Sonic SE2 and Halion Sonic Factory content.

WHen editing in Halion 5 and Halion Sonic 2, best remember that the Halion Sonic SE2 content is copy protected. So you do not see anything below the macro pages. This is a bit confusing when going through things the first time. ;)

Have fun !
kind regards,
R.
by roel
Mon May 12, 2014 11:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Disk Cache Maxing Out - Audio Dropouts

most likly. It looks like you're facing the maximum capacity off your hard drives. Reducing the sample rate will definitly reduce the payload on the disk drive, but you wrote that changing the projects default rate crashes the project during the conversion so that makes things a bit more complicated...
You could try to make a backup of the entire thing so that you have every sample organised in your folder and then batch convert them. THen reload the project, that will indicate when initializing the samples found are not 88Khz (anymore), and then choosee not to convert them, and then change the project's default rate to 44,1 f.e. It 's a bit dirty and trying to get a workaround, but it could result to an converted project.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Wed May 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: consulting what to buy/upgrade

An upgrade to artist or the full version of cubase is never a bad idea. The included vsti's are usefull but maybe not what you are looking for. But since you do record vocals, having (a lot) more options on that aspect is allways an upgrade for your rig.

If you want real sounding instruments then you could take a look into the many available packages on the market. They are never included in any DAW standard package. They contain most of the times a decent string, a decent flute, ... and so on, but that is not to be compared with what the sample bank builders are offering.

High quality natural instruments come from brands like East West, Vienna, cinesamples, Project SAM, Steinberg Halion Symphonic, Garritan and so on... They vary a lot in price and in functionality. Also: most of them are not cheap. Try before buy is the best thing you can do here and feal if a) the sound is what you are looking for, b) the workflow is what you want. Another thing you can do is stepping in one of the combined deals a lot of those brands offer. When getting bargains up to 75% in most cases there is no reason to regret any of those buys. You wil get multiple gigabytes of samples. Most of them are top quality.
I would not opt for the "complete" package of NI since the normal complete package is more a bundle of very old sample banks and vsti's. But that said, the combination offered is a bargain overall deal but not specificly for natural sounding instruments. Different story with their extended complete package. That one is 1000 euro's but then you get a really hefty bunch of vsti's.
But that said, the same with the CCC2 deals of East West. This is top class stuff. Same with the Vienna bundles.

So there is no single path to go, but neither one of the above mentioned brands will fail to deliver what they promise.
My personal findings on those package:
- East West is more Pop/Hollywood oriented. But very high grade. Their guitares are the best i've heard.
- Vienna is more classic music oriented. The wealthy amount of variations in playstyle is a big selling point and awesome.
- Garritan: very affordable and excellent sound, but needs some tweaking
- Halion Symphonic: a bit a mixed bag, very affordable (99 euro) and outstanding on some points but needs some tweaking too.

Another option is to go for a workstation. The results are comparable with what you have with your XP though. They offer a very broad scale of sounds, but they are allways less expressive/realistic then the sample banks mentioned above. The advantage is they cost a lot less then the specific sample banks.

Probably other users will want to add to this comment...

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Fri May 09, 2014 11:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ok Ok Im an idiot ,the cursor in 7.5 is fine .

FWIW:
I think the story with multiple cores, asio guard and cubase still has not seen a definitive endpoint in it's development.

For more info on the subject:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/hyper-threading-and-asio-guard.html

There are a lot of people who experience trouble with modern systems when trying to use the full core power of a system. Using hyperthreading can be an advantage in modern systems, but it can decrease performance too in some conditions. It depends on the way the system is build and the way the system uses cubase and what version of cubase you are using.

To kill at least one faulty idea. HT gives you a double amount of "virtual" cores, but using HT does not at all mean you "double" the resources for your system. HT is a method to try to process things more smoothly. In most cases the differences are expressed in percentages. Read the article and the references in it, and you will be probably a lot wiser. So in some cases your performance can indeed be better with HT off. (only using "real" cores)

Enabling Hyper-Threading while ASIO Guard is active usually has a positive effect on the overall system performance and is the recommended combination for cubase 7. Only in rare cases - e.g. with projects using many "live" tracks - Hyper-Threading can still lead to performance issues. Again, please refer to the dedicated ASIO Guard article for details.

To those rare cases we at the forum might add also specific GUI related issues and the fact that some people still have spikes on the asio meter even with the lates asio guard implementation. Other weirdness includes flickering cursors and so on...

It looks like the graphics handling and the asio handling is done by the same "real core" in the OP's computer which creates some sort of traffic-jam on that core. DIsabling HT gives better performance for him.

But again: it is just my opinion on this, and i certainly would like to be given further insight by someone else with more knowledge on the subject regarding this issue on how modern systems with multiple cores should ideally be tweaked to run the DAW's in an optimized way.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Thu May 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audacity (very quick question?)

just for the record. (if audacity's interface does not work well with your workflow)

I use NCH software for the same purpouse on a little laptop and they are free for non commercial usage.
They offer all the tools you need for low footprint workflow.
They even offer a basic multitrack sequencer/audio recorder.
And for those guys who are looking to ripp the internet: yes, they offer a working streaming recorder too. :)

http://www.nch.com.au/software/audio.html

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Mon May 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to upgrade to 64-bit version?

Hey Tia

Just use the same installer and on the first screen you see choose the 64 bit installer.
It has a different location on the hard drive so that should do it.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Downgrade" from Halion 4 (Edu) to Halion Sonic 2?

You could try to contact support for a special price, but when you just upgrade your Halion 4 to version 5 (99 EUR) then you get the Halion Sonic 2 that is included in the Halion 5 package, and you still have the ability to return to the advanced sample features of Halion 5. I would advice that, since Halion 5 also has a lot of other things more then just sampling that can be relevant such as: several extra midi modules, more functionality with the program tree, a very nice customizable user interface (more important then you would think at first), more sounds, compatibility with the Halion 4 sounds, and so on.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recomended cpu for audio desktop

i can admit to Scott' statement that he does know what he's talking about and not just making a bold statement.
His job is indeed making pro-audio workstations for years.

http://www.adkproaudio.com/

Take a peek in the client list and then you can see that this a pro level advise.
But that statement on the steinberg site is there for some years now, and you're not the first who makes this referal to the steinberg site. That can explain the short reply.

Sometimes we can grow a big beard before they update/correct anything on their site, certainly when it's in their advisory-database.
Personally i am waiting for months now to see if someday, sometime, they will actually remake their download link to Halion 5 in the location where it should be. (on the download page) But i'm still waiting.

So back on topic: i would go for the I7. :-)

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RAM usage with Cubase 7.5.20

As far as i know cubase is allways working with samples in RAM since it is not diskreading while playing back a song or recording audio. (this is different from what other ROM Players (VSTI's with disk reading) or like harddisk-recorders do)

Best thing to refer to is the manual where on page 114 the limitations of recording audio are explained. There is clearly stated that recording is linked to the amound of available RAM. So my guess is that they stay there in RAM untill you save them somewhere.

I think the process of recording audio in cubase is in fact a form of 'hardware sampler' behaviour (RAM) and not harddisk recorder based.

Another thing to add is that with the audio parts in cubase you can do things in real time that you absolutely can't do with any harddisk recorder like realtime editing, realtime stretching, effects processing and so on. You would need a vast buffer setting that is not present in cubase IMO. So i would say audio handling is done entirely in RAM in cubase.

But let's see if someone jumps on to this with another view.

kind regards,
R.

Also: the proces of audio editing and recording is non destructive, which means that when you load a song it reads the source samples one time and then stores them in a temporary memory location in RAM. (the pool)
by roel
Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Halion5 download links

just for referencing since this question has been posted quite a few times, and the fact that the official download location is empty has been reported to admins for several times.

The following location on the official site will probably remain useless for the rest of its existence and is virtually empty:

http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=downloads_halion_5&L=1

But you can dowload the most recent files for Halion 5 allways from here:

http://support.steinberg.de/ISOs/HALion_5_AppCont_1.iso
http://support.steinberg.de/ISOs/HALion_5_Content_2.iso

:-) kind regards :-)
by roel
Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do film composers deal with large DAW projects for f

Hi!
I compose mainly for TV and Film and my mothership-monster Cubase template with literally almost everything I have has almost 4000 (yes 4k) midi tracks. Those are grouped into sections of instruments Strings, Woodwinds, Brass, Percs, FX's, Sound Design, Voices, Pianos etc. and are hosted by many instances of Vienna Ensemble Pro all on one powerful machine, no slaves. All audio outputs are properly named and routed to proper subgroups, FX channels, main groups and finally to the Stereo or Surround output. This gives me the freedom to export audio tracks as audio stems for further mix in different formats, depending on the clients wishes. Some need stereo, some 5.1 or 7.1 mixes.

The fun part is this - using tracks presets, export selected tracks function, VST instruments rack presets etc. I am able to create smaller versions of my big template for the times where I don't need everything under my disposal. Sometimes I only write for strings so I load only the string part of the library and go from there. It is much quicker to load but the main logic behind this system/construction the naming and routing stays constant.
It took veeery long time to create this whole system but it pays off in the long run because now it is just a matter of a few clicks and whatever sound I need for a project - it's there ready to go!

Adding midi controller surfaces, touch sensitive monitor, iPad with Lemur on it and some long hours of programming and mapping Generic Remote functions made composing fun again and not - like it was before - 15% composing and 85% loading, searching, tweaking, troubleshooting, coursing ... ;)
Every bigger project is stored in one project folder for this project only and inside there are folders for Reels, episodes, parts and so on all depending on the nature of a project.

Saving and naming different versions of a session is also very important since often months later I need to re-open particular Cues for whatever reason (another DVD version, Surround Mix, shorter version, version without percussions etc) and I should be able to find myself in the session quick and with no extra pain.
Using notepad, screenshots and backing up stuff saved my butt many times so far and those are the things we don't really like to do. It is worth the time invested.

Cheers!

:P This post makes me jealous. :P

I think this is the most ideal situation.

But if i am allowed i have some question:
- how many cores you need for that? 48 ?
- You use one instance (as indicated as preffered by vienna) or many instances with your own core assignment ?
- And the output routing - how do you prevent your individual tracks to suffer from getting masked when so many signals are on the same signal path when doing this on a single machine?

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do film composers deal with large DAW projects for f

@24DBFS:
If i have to vote for coolest, you'll get mine! :-)
I love just looking at it and imagine the possibilities. (although the picture is a bit dark) :-)
I am not into film composing, but such a setup is something i really want to get some day, some time.
But i'll need a lot of people clapping for me before i will get there. :-)
But tx for the info.
The question about the masking was just if the final mix was done on the same machine. But i'll leave that up to my imagination, and i guess you keep it all at a digital level and the mastering is probably done somewhere else.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thinking of 7.5.30 now that Hub fixed, but ...

There will be a chance that you are unfortunate, but being here often on the forum, i have noticed very few complaints about 7.5.30. It is working just fine.
By far the most things that are reported are system specific problems. So even collected issues are most of the time not present in your of my system. Example is the hub issue. For me that hub was working all the time (i guess) and i never crashed on it.

Jut try it. It is free. And even if it gives you issues, just roll back the system to the previous version with system restore. You are on windows, so there is no reason for not checking it.

And yes, before i forget, for me there was indeed an issue. I had to rescan the mediabay since the installer went berzerk on the groove agent 4 vstsounds. Something was changed in the library with the new groove agent. Once the scan was done, everything went fine.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please drop the x32bit versions of all your new software

this week i will be waving goodbye to my old pc as it is a gift for a nephew who is actually doing very well on the musical front for his age, both for interest and intelligence. that machine is cramped with 32 bit vsti's, and damn i will miss them. Yes, things evolve, but there were some damn good vsti's made in the past. It's a pity that they get obsolete in a way hardware isn't. And yes, on a 64bit system they are just swallowing resources, so they are doomed imho.

Recently i saw one of the makers passing by on the forum. And thus as an example: Gargoyle, you made some wicked freaky stuff in the past, and i loved it. Not for playability, but as a soundsource for sampling. Nobody came near to those scary soundscapes your machines were creating! Good bye and thx for making it :!:

just FWIW :)

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Very strange input lag/latency problem - help needed

Does using Constrain Delay Compensation solve your issue ?
This behaviour is typical when using EFX'ses like f.e. the multiband compressor.

look in manual on p. 265 and 228
Cubase features full delay compensation throughout the entire audio path. This means that any delay inherent in the VST plug-ins you use will automatically be compensated for during playback, so that all channels are kept in perfect sync (see “About plug-in delay compensation” on page 228).
However, when you play a VST instrument in realtime or record live audio (with monitoring through Cubase activated), this delay compensation may sometimes result in added latency. To avoid this, you can activate the Constrain Delay Compensation button on the Project window toolbar. This function tries to minimize the latency effects of the delay compensation, while maintaining the sound of the mix as far as possible.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 - No Audio O/P on tracks

Probably a monitoring issue.

A bit more info on the type of hardware (audiocard and such) would be nice, but i'll give it a try:

a) Under devices, connections ---) studio. Is it switched on ?
If yes: switch it off. You only need studio if you need a complex monitoring environment.

b) i guess O/P and I/P are output and input. So you are metering input on an audio channel, but you have no sound.
Did you switch the monitor button on ? (small round speaker button on the track, "orange" is on). The behaviour you describe can happen when studio is on and the monitoring is not properly set up in the studio-connections tab.

This is not an update issue or a bug. It is something in the routing that isn't properly setup i guess. Probably one of the above mentioned.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: One step past Instrument Freeze? Bounce to audio?

Great info.
The manual fails when talking about the workflow on this.
They should make a sticky of this kind of topics.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Problem playing back recorded audio cubase 7.5.30

Sounds like automation has been implemented without you noticing it.
Maybe in the mixer ? (You see a red R or green W somewhere on the track in the mixer or the main window ?)
Switch it off, and the automation should dissapear.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: vst rack -midi track

Your question is a bit strangly put, but i guess what you are missing is that you have to assign multiple outputs in Halion SE2. In the instrument rack (F11), where Halion SE2 is, there is for every loaded VST, and thus also Halion SE2, a button assign outputs. (square box with the Arrow)
Assign all outputs to "active".
This creates 15 extra outputs, and you will see them added in the mixer window.
Then you also need 15 extra midi tracks. If you select the Halion SE2 track and then add 15 extra tracks, they will be assigned to it automaticly.
This way Halion SE2 is now a 16 track instrument and each track has it's own settings.
Do remember to give every track it's own output inside Halion. (1... 16)

You now should have 16 different volume controllers under the instrument controller section in the main window.

Sorry to not post any screenshots, but hope this helps.

kind regards,
R.
by roel
Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic