Re: Cubase 7 - Mix errors ?? help

Choose no 3 ;)

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=47526&p=290646&hilit=skin#p290636
by Grim
Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Renaming events.

Top left of the arrange window in the toolbar is an icon with 3 boxes. This is where you switch on or off the info line, status line Inspector and overview.....you may well have it switched to be hidden.

Page 40 of the manual has an overview of the arrange page that shows what it looks like.
by Grim
Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Freezing an audio track stops sound

For a long time now I have had an issue where freeze produces silence.

Unfreezing and just doing it a 2nd time always (and I do mean always) works.

So perhaps the algorithm you selected has nothing to do with it....it's just that you are unfreezing and then freezing a 2nd time.
by Grim
Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: horizontal locking

The Ctrl works as a lock unless you try to use it while also copying as Alt-Ctrl is the modifier for slip edit.

In preferences/tool modifiers you can find this under Select tool....if you change it to something else then Alt-Ctrl will work as you want it to......though you'll probably be sharing the slip edit modifier with something else now as there are too few modifier options.
by Grim
Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mono tracks to stereo group/FX sum to center

In preferences/vst select "Link Panners" for new tracks.

On existing tracks open the channel edit and select link panners from the drop-down on the toolbar.
by Grim
Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creating stems

I had a macro set up to do an entire project at once.

http://www.meap.biz/
by Grim
Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 - issues and problems experienced so far

Second issue: Documentation. After installing the upgrade the docs are still the same (7), even if there's some upgrades done to the software. How do I get 7.5 docs - are there any?

When I tried to find some docs on the new function.. nada

I guess you missed the "New Features in Cubase 7.5" pdf in Help/documentation.
by Grim
Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shortcut for selecting which tracks to record?

There's probably a far neater way to do this but here is an option

Create a logical editor preset

Filter = Name/contains/xx
Action target = Track Operation/Record/Enable (or toggle if you want to disable too)

Save it as "Rec enable xx"

Create another preset

Filter = Name/Contains Not/xx
Action target = Track Operation/Record/Disable

Save it as "Rec enable xx2"

Open key commands, show macros and create a new macro....you then add a command to run each of the presets you just created...you will find them in the folder "Process Project Logical Editor" - Assign your Key command to this macro.

Hope that helps.

Ooops....almost forgot to mention....you need to add xx to the name for only those 2 tracks and make sure no other track contains xx....you could use anything you like to replace xx of course.
by Grim
Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help: A newbie install to record midi track??

The vsti gui keyboards do not record midi and I'm pretty sure they won't in Nuendo either.

There is however a midi virtual keyboard available from devices menu...search "virtual keyboard" in your manual for details.
by Grim
Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hanging notes

The exact system is iMac connected to MOTU interface (USB)

Nothing very exact there....There have been a lot of iMacs and different o/s running on them and a fair amount of different MOTU usb interfaces.

USB3 port on the iMac perhaps??
by Grim
Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Filling gaps between events WITHOUT time warp?

You missed the point entirely. I can zoom in and stretch every event to exactly where I want and it will only take me 48 hours to complete a song...

I gave you the best simple fix for the project you already made this way in my very first post so please don't tell me I'm missing the point :roll:
my last post is about trying to get you to see how you could be working to avoid the problem in the first place.
This is not a Cubase problem, it is a problem YOU are creating. That's why you don't see anyone else complaining about it.

Anyhow thanks for your sarcastic congratulations.....I'll leave you to your 48 hours of gap closing. Have fun.
by Grim
Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How does bounce treat variaudio data ?

I just checked again in case any change with new version.....after bounce the notes do not necessarily line up spot on to the grid but they are not as far out as the original.

So basically seems to be working though the variaudio analysis is still finding notes slightly out that it has supposedly quantised.
by Grim
Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How does bounce treat variaudio data ?

I would have expected the pitch to be rendered in tune according to the vari-audio data, and then the vari-audio graphics would be no longer there.
That´s how it actually does work.

This...works exactly as expected using "Bounce Selection" and "Replace" which I assume is what you meant....just checked it to confirm no bug has crept in recently.

you need to use Flatten Processing instead of bounce selection.

Well this does also do the job but you don't "need" to unless your bounce selection isn't working.....in which case you should probably investigate why that is.
by Grim
Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any Tutorials on quantizing audio to audio free timing?

Doing this to a live show could easily make a phasey mess of everything unless you are only shifting d.I tracks or have near zero spill on the mics you are shifting.
A live show recording is supposed to be representative of the band playing live after all ;)

That aside my preferred way to do any fixing with free played audio is to first create a tempo map using time warp/warp grid. This way your grid follows the song tempo and you can use whichever quantise, warp or manual cut n slide techniques you like.
by Grim
Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hanging notes

Try a USB hub between the iMac and your MOTU.
by Grim
Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bars and ruler not aligned

Try backup project (to new folder) from the file men and then open the new version
by Grim
Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you want to save your project? Goodbye!

Cubase never asks me if you want to save, excepting when it knows it is crashing and throws the error message saying something like "try to save your work under a different name".....could this be what is happening??
by Grim
Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audio Export Mixdown [Issue]

Finally had a chance to check this myself and have exactly the same behaviour.

The problem is that when using the "Create New Project" tickbox any stereo files are inserted on mono tracks.

As you say importing into a new project works fine as does deleting the events in that project and dragging them back into the new project from the pool. It's just the initial mono/stereo recognition on import that is failing.
by Grim
Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Did they delivry the wrong cubase version?

You can just install 7.5 if you have the "complete installation" files

They are downloadable here if you don't have them....NOT the update....scroll down to the complete installation files.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/dow ... se_75.html
by Grim
Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Insert or Send effects!

OK....it definitely looks to me like your install has corrupted.

I think an un-install and re-install making sure you are logged in as an admin (unless UAC is disabled) should sort it.
After un-installing I would delete any remaining program files/Steinberg folders (but leave vstplugins if you installed 3rd party ones already)

7.5 is a separate program, but I would never recommend updating a non working system.....you'll get really frustrated if it's some system incompatibility and you just spent half a day downloading the new version, spent £40 and still have the same problem
by Grim
Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C7.5.10 update not recognizing QT mov for import

Seems like something you should be posting in the issues forum.
by Grim
Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Want "Always On Top" for plugins!!! Worn-out.

I suspect that Beerbong doesn't have his MC set to Fullscreen......as he also said earlier about switching off AOT on the mixer which is not the same thing.

EDIT....Please ignore me if you read any of that....what I was suggesting works only with MC on the same monitor as project....not possible to switch off AOT with it on the other mixer unless you stretch the project window which is what we are trying to avoid...DUH!!
by Grim
Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: steinberg power scheme and cpu core parking ?

No...Steinberg power scheme does not disable core parking.

This requires an edit to the registry.....I guess if you found a utility to do this it is simply writing the registry changes for you.
by Grim
Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stereo Out Track Visibility in Project Window (Cubase 7.

I know in Cubase 7 (and previous versions) once you activated the (W)rite button on anything it would magically appear but it seems to be a different method in 7.5

It will still magically appear when you hit the write button on the stereo output. (in the mixer)
Always been that way as far as I know.
by Grim
Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: steinberg power scheme and cpu core parking ?

it's not only the cakewalk forum that is suggesting to use it

A forum doesn't suggest anything in that sense.....what you mean is a person who posted on the forum suggested it. This is no different from saying my mate down the pub suggested it. Doesn't qualify it as good advice although I'm also not saying it's bad advice

FYI it was on the cakewalk forum that cakewalk themselves said they had tested and found no difference.

but it is stated as not usefull for win8...
confusing...

Doesn't seem that confusing....you're on Win8 + it's not useful on Win8 = stop worrying about it and make some music.
by Grim
Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Using an old pre-GM drum machine with Groove Agent

OK....now I got it.

In the inspector underneath the instrument and preset selector where it says no drum map select drum map setup. Create a new map from the functions menu, double click and rename to RX11 or whatever you want.
Then you can see 2 columns for I-Note and O-Note (In and out) which are freely editable. So you need to work out what notes the RX11 outputs and edit the I-Note for each GA pad you want to trigger.
by Grim
Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elements 7.5 external instruments

Yes of course you can do this if you have a midi interface with an output.
If you use the same keyboard as your controller then you'll need to switch "local off" in it's midi settings.

Cubase "External Instruments" is just a feature that I guess is trying to make hardware seem like a part of the software...it does not disallow the use of actual hardware external instruments in any way.
Just means they don't integrate in the same way as with full versions External Instruments set up.
by Grim
Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Warp Markers / Drum Editing

VST Bridge: where can I point Cubase to my x86 plugs? They are all in my VST System Folder, I honestly don't see where do this.

Open vstplugin information, vst2 plugin paths tab and add the path to the folder the 32bit plugs are in (which ought to be separate from any 64bit plugs to avoid confusion).
I can't make any suggestion as to where that is or should be on your system as I'm not a Mac user and I'm assuming you are as you said you came from Logic?....& on that note, if you add your system details as your forum signature it helps others to help you.
by Grim
Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Warp Markers / Drum Editing

I prefer quantizing with elastique pro over Slicing, as it feels more flexible, works very fast and even sounds better

If timing isn't important then yes it sounds great, if timing matters then it currently sucks.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=53611

Is there any way to drag a single hit a little earlier / later like in Logics Flex Time / Pro Tools?

No....another reason to stick with slicing which can sound very good with some practise and probably you'll find with very short xfades.

2. I tried to activate VST Bridge. Where can I find it? I have quite a few 32 bit Plugins I use every now and then, but I seriously can't figure out where this bit is hidden inside Cubase.

You don't need to figure out where it is or activate it....just point Cubase at your x86 plugs and it will try to bridge them...It just might work perfectly depending what plugs you're bridging but if not you might want to take a look at Jbridge.
by Grim
Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ReRecord with midi?

Are you hitting record the 2nd time without hitting stop first?

Works OK here.
by Grim
Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to use third party VSTi's in cubase

Can anyone tell me what the proper folder location to install VSTi's and plugins is?

You might have 2 options when installing....let the program choose it's basic install folder and then when it asks for the vstplugins folder you should probably decide on one and install all vst2 to that folder (but multiple folders still works)
For 64bit this could be program files\vstplugins or program files\Steinberg\vstplugins but could be anywhere you choose. The important thing is you know where it is/they are and in plugin information this path/s is/are listed under the vst2 plugin folders tab.

If this is all correct and you still don't see the plug, from the start menu open Steinberg\Cubase (your version)\User settings data folder and check the VST2xBlacklist Cubase.xml (open with a text editor like notebook)
If it's listed, delete this xml completely and start Cubase again and it will try to scan again..if it keeps adding the plug to the blacklist there is a problem with compatibility.....are you using latest updates, is it 64bit compatible??
by Grim
Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: All insert slots should be post fader (there is youtube

If you need more than 6 pre inserts, you are obviously doing something wrong.

He doesn't need more than 6 pre inserts....he wants more than 2 post fade inserts.
by Grim
Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: sound replacer Cubase?

I'm assuming you put battery on an instrument track rather than loading it in the rack so you can just drag and drop the midi event on to the instrument/battery track....hold down ctrl to make sure it moves to the same start point.
by Grim
Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Control Panel MOTU 828 mk3

p.s. whats that about updating cubase?
can i do that online and free?

You can update to 7.07 for free.....7.5 was a paid update.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/dow ... ase_7.html
by Grim
Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Record and monitor buttons greyed-out.

Yeah avoid the generic low latency driver like the plague....if you want to use your built in soundcard for anything (I'm guessing this is why you switched drivers in the first place) try the asio4all drivers.
by Grim
Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: how to normalize all track heights in arranger??

Jenks wrote:or ALT and adjust track height on Windows.

And when that doesn't work try Ctrl ;)
by Grim
Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: write automation fader jumps

You need to set another automation mode than touch....I think auto latch does what you want, though can't conform as not at DAW.

Open the automation panel or change it from the toolbar if you have automation mode showing there.
by Grim
Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Iro: Track Color Pack for Cubase

but on existing projects: only the "old" colors show up.

But the colors are only available in new projects.

At the bottom of your colour list is the Project Colours menu...open this and then from options select "Load program defaults to current set".
Be aware that this will mess up any colour selecting you have already done....this is presumably why Cubase doesn't do it by default.
by Grim
Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to implement Live/Realtime effects?

You have to route an input channel to an audio channel to be able to monitor it live so you might as well put the effects on the audio channel. (Unless you wanted to record that track with effects included)

Make sure direct monitoring is disabled in Devices\VST Audio System\Your soundcard - And click on the channel monitoring button (little speaker icon)

Of course you will be hearing the processed signal with any latency from your system so set your buffers as low as possible and avoid any plugins that introduce high latency (You can see how many samples of latency a plugin adds in the plugin information window
by Grim
Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Iro: Track Color Pack for Cubase

Oh I probably am, but again (and this time see the picture):

Your picture only shows the top of the colour list.....the menu you want is at the bottom of the list.
by Grim
Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PLEASE HELP! Cubase 7.5.20 will not open .bak files

You should test Cubase for a while with autosave disabled.....there is a chance that the bak isn't opening because it is being created when the crash happens (which is why I asked about the file size) and if that is the case, you might want to consider the possibility that it could even be autosave causing or contributing to the crash.
by Grim
Fri May 02, 2014 10:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Normal? Changing pregain doesn't affect height in faders

Maybe you are confusing things by using the term pre fader when this option doesn't exist in Cubase.
The input gain will affect the meter in both "Post Fader" & "Post Panner" settings.

It will not make any difference when metering is set to "Input"

Oh, dear, it's going to be a tougher transition from C6.5 than I thought

It's exactly the same
by Grim
Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mastering EFX and Channel Batch Export...

The master fx will not be applied during channel batch export...if you export group a) drums that's all you get. Any effects that are inserted on master or later routed groups are excluded.

The only way to include these would be to solo each track and export the mixdown (not batch) one at a time.
And this way your effects would be reacting differently because only that track will be playing.

Oh...and even in channel batch export I don't think ALL tracks are playing....pretty sure they process one at a time.
by Grim
Thu May 08, 2014 11:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.07 Crashes on Mixdown 100%

Well briefly you would set up a new stereo output in vst connections....do not connect it to anything.

Then you will need to route your mix to this.....unfortunately you can't route the stereo out directly to it so you have to switch all the channels currently routed to stereo out to the new phantom out. (You can use shift alt to apply routing to all selected tracks)
If you have any master bus fx, you'll need to move these to the new output bus too.

Then you can just create a new Stereo track and set the new bus as it's input...arm record the track, hit record and let the song play through to the end.
by Grim
Thu May 15, 2014 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 trying to hear audio...

Can we establish if you are actually recording anything....do you see the waveform after recording?

Regarding the click and studio tab....unless you know that you need to use the Control room your best bet is to disable outputs in the studio tab and use the output tab only.....If you have a specific need for the control room then you'll need to set up click within the control room and should disconnect the stereo out in the output tab (but leave it there unconnected)
by Grim
Sun May 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 Cubase Hugely Disappointed Upgrader

I perhaps should have incrementally saved, but I had auto-save on.

If you had auto save on and worked on this project for long enough for it to kick in then you were incrementally saving...that's what auto save does.
Look for files with a .bak extension in your project folder.
by Grim
Thu May 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VSTs Not Showing Up in New Projects

Not sure but in this situation I would try to delete the plugin xmls from the preferences (AppData) folder and let Cubase rescan.

Vst2PlugIns Cubase.xml
Vst2xBlacklist Cubase.xml

Also give some more info on your system....which o/s which Cubase? 64bit Cubase, All 64 bit plugs?
by Grim
Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do I humanize without quantizing?

Just tested quickly in Cubase 7.5.2 and works fine here.

Type Is/Equal/Note

Position/Set relative random....\-20/+20
by Grim
Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do I insert [3rd Party] VST on Midi Channel ?

As above but also make sure direct monitoring is disabled in Cubase and/or in your interface.
by Grim
Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CUBASE 7.5 when closing the program, blue screen?

Well probably because of the reason I already told you...have you tried the asio4all driver??
by Grim
Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CUBASE 7.5 when closing the program, blue screen?

The sound quality with asio4all driver sound quality will remain the same? i.e. just this driver has replaced the buggy native M-audio?

Yes....the driver has no effect on the sound. Glad it worked for you.
by Grim
Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mix Console Resizing Bug

Hold down the Alt key & from the arrow drop down at top right of MC select "Reset Mixconsole Window".
by Grim
Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Basic Q’s about CbA7 Midi commands & keyboards

You're in completely the wrong place....You want the inspector like I said.

Top left of project window do you see an icon with three rectangles?
Click on that and make the inspector visible....then follow my previous instructions.

I'd advise you put the device settings back as you found them.
by Grim
Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I Need advice on Auto Save settings

[1] Is it unwise to set the timer from 15 min. to 0.5 minutes?

Not sure if unwise but seems unnecessary.....and possibly could impact general performance/stability if you're constantly saving.

[2] Is my new “Maximum Backup Files” setting of only 1 a bit too extreme?
Is there any reason to have 10 of them hanging out in all my project folders if i can’t access them

If that one file is corrupted you will have lost your whole project.....in this case you can start working backwards through them until you find one that works. You can open them from Cubase file menu or you can rename them to cpr. It's not something you're likely to need to do often but you might be very happy the one time you can.

[4] How do you guys and gals set these two preferences? and why?

What happened to [3]??
I leave as default....but I always do a manual save after recording a take or doing any tricky editing etc.
by Grim
Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RAM usage with Cubase 7.5.20

FWIW
audio is being processed based on the pool not on the harddrive.
The pool is a RAM copy of harddrive locations.

No it isn't.
by Grim
Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Free warp on multi tracks

Yes this is still true.

There is a workaround of sorts in that you can bounce out up to 6 tracks to a 5.1 audio file, warp this and then split back out to single tracks. If you have more than 6 tracks this won't help you though!

Are you sure you can't improve on the cut'n slide results with some detailed manual editing?
by Grim
Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Imported audio files are playing back slightly sharpened

It would have been the sample rate....bit resolution has no effect on tuning and different bits can be freely mixed within a project (the setting is for new recorded files only)

What is odd is that you had no option to sample rate convert on import....maybe due to Cubase being set to 44 but your interface being locked to 48??
by Grim
Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: a few oddities, any ideas??

If you don't need to use video in Cubase you could remove the videoengine components from the components folder.
If you need video then try updating graphics drivers and quicktime.

As for the system link....I've never even noticed this flashing by on initialisation....are you actually using it?
If not make sure it's not enabled in Device setup.

Other than that you could try running in safe mode
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/safe-start-mode-resetting-the-cubase-preferences/kb_back/2020.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1

& If it runs better this way, you'll need to permanently trash your preferences.
by Grim
Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playing Wav or audio files...

Not directly within Cubase....you will need to load the wav into a soft sampler.

There are some freeware options

I like Shortcircuit (Use v1.1.2) for it's relative simplicity.
http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

UVI Workstation seems to get plenty of recommendations but I haven't tried it.
http://www.uvi.net/en/software/uvi-workstation.html

There are probably other options but one of these should get you started.
by Grim
Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Velocity Trigger CC

Not sure as I can't currently try it, but couldn't you record the not and the transformered cc data to separate midi tracks and then merge them?
by Grim
Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: DirectX full duplex driver missing

However, I sometimes want to work while allowing sounds from other applications to work, for which I required the DirectX full duplex driver

You do not need dx driver for this, go to windows sound/your soundcard/properties/advanced tab and switch off "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

You should be able to use your interface ASIO driver in Cubase and still play audio from other applications.
by Grim
Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Issues with Waves License Pop-up

This is nothing to do with Steinberg prefs.

Delete any waveshell.dll files in your vstplugins folder and search and delete any other waves folders or dlls remaining on your drives.
by Grim
Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Resale of licences question

Your licence will be upgraded...you can not use the old activation codes again.
by Grim
Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where is the KB Preference Files in Detail?

If you had just put the word preferences into KB search you would easily have found it.

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... references
by Grim
Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why can't I make MixConsole scalable like Greg Ondo? :-(

Are you a full-screen kind of guy? If so, what advantages make it better for you to do that? Any disadvantages that are part of the package?

Any advantages of fullscreen are currently outweighed by AOT bug....plugs will go behind mixer as soon as you click of them.
by Grim
Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: N00b in need of help...

There are a couple of free vst samplers around that will do this for you...for instance Short Circuit (v1.1.2) (ONLY this version works well)
by Grim
Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where is the KB Preference Files in Detail?

You're right....seems like the pages are constantly shifting....as for the most current version, I don't think it's been updated in a few years.
by Grim
Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can I invert stereo for an instrument track? Cubase 7.5

Switch the channel to "Stereo combined Panner" and swap the L&R.

Or use an insert plug that has Stereo swap...For instance Stereo Channel http://sleepytimedsp.com/software/str-bundle/
by Grim
Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 PC - use on Mac too?

The dongle will work fine on both platforms.
by Grim
Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elements 7 FX sends - How do I ?

Despite advice to the contrary I think you have an installation corruption....these areas should not be blank.

First try trashing prefs...if that doesn't help (which I don't think it will) completely uninstall and reinstall.
by Grim
Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MixConsole GUI not fully displayed.

Try holding down Alt key and from the top right drop down arrow select reset mixconsole window....or something like that (Not got it in front of me)
this is not the same as reset mixconsole channels which will completely zero your mix.....the reset window option is only there when you hold the alt key.
by Grim
Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: XV5080 patch import

Just to make sure you got the right folder:

Go to your start menu/Cubase 7.5 (64bit if you are running 64 bit) folder and open the user Settings Data folder from there.
EDIT: Sorry...I see you're using Elements so obviously select the correct element version rather than Cubase 7.5.

The scripts/inactive/Roland folder inside of that is the one you want....you'll see all the scripts supplied with Cubase in there already. (Though that doesn't guarantee you're in the right folder as other versions or different bit versions appdata folders may exist)
by Grim
Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Info line in Cubase 7.5

Shift + F2 or the button top left of toolbar (3 rectangles)
by Grim
Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Small latency and Direct monitoring

I'm trying to reach some Zero latency

It is impossible to have zero latency monitoring via Cubase...or any other DAW.

Direct monitoring offers near zero latency....if you can't select it it is because your interface doesn't offer control of it to Cubase.

This doesn't mean you can't use direct monitoring but you need to set it in the Presonus software mixer and just don't activate the monitor button in Cubase.
by Grim
Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Groupchannels supersede FX-channels?

Is this pretty much it - FX channels are there for historic reasons, or?

If you are asking if they fullfil any role that groups can't also cover, then no, they don't.

What is meant by 8 FX send channels?

On an audio/instrument track/channel there are 8 sends. If you were to need more than 8 you would have to route to a group which of course would have a further 8.

The comparison chart "FX return channels" is that the number of those fx busses you can create in FX folder?

It is the max number of FX channels you can add to Cubase...Stereo or Mono makes no odds. 64 is max.

And I ask myself - can I live with these odd non-intuitive naming of what is to be my main tool working all days?
Serious doubts, I tell you.

If this is your greatest concern in choosing a DAW then I wonder if your mind is working a little differently to most :D
by Grim
Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR44 with cubase 6.5?

Do you have "Audio Hardware Setup" in the Cubase Devices menu??
This should open the panel where you can make some basic routing settings.

Now open the mixer and make sure input channels are visible.
Open the extended mixer view.
At top of fader section, right hand side is a small downwards arrow. Click on that and select "Hardware" from the drop down menu.
by Grim
Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Microkorg through mixer record issues, please help

When monitor is off cubase fails to pick up the synth

Well that's exactly what is supposed to happen.....with monitor on the input is monitored (live played synth). With monitor/record enable off you should be able to hear the recorded synth track.

The thing is that if you can hear the MPD track playing (or more accurately the instrument it has programmed) there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't hear the Audio track too. Record enable and Monitor button need to be off....everything else as already stated.
by Grim
Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Have you tried turning off the monitoring button on the recorded track?
by Grim
Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OK...sounds like we're most of the way there.

From a quick look at the manual for that Xenyx I think this is the procedure.

1. Connect your speakers to Control Room Out rather than Main outs (if you haven't got them this way already)

2. On the mixer make sure the USB2 Phones/Control Room is pushed in/selected.

3. You should now be able to hear playback of instruments in Cubase and also your Korg playing live....but you can record the Korg without the other playback looping back.

4. In Cubase vst connections (F4)/input tab make sure you have a stereo input bus created. Assign this in the right hand column to the Xenyx Ins 1 & 2.

5. Create a Stereo audio track and assign the same bas as the input of this track (in the inspector or in the mixer/routing section)

6. Arm record for the track, hit the record transport button and go.
by Grim
Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OK...I think you're a bit confused about how this all fits together.

When you use the Behringer by selecting it in Cubase it becomes your computers soundcard....so of course you must have your speakers connected to it. You cannot use the Behringer for input (recording) while you use the PC built in audio for output(playback/record monitoring/vst instruments) the Behringer will be your ins and outs.

The MPD18 does not send any audio over USB only midi (note data).
You must be loading software that it plays....is this a vst instrument you are loading in Cubase??

Anyhow....with everything set up correctly you will also be able to hear this with the speakers connected to the Xenyx.

If you say which Xenyx you have I'll take a look and see if we can work it out.
by Grim
Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Are your speakers connected to the Xenyx stereo output??
by Grim
Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to connect a mixer to an audio interface?

If you go with a basic Steinberg interface such as the UR22, you'll find it comes with Cubase Ai6 software included.
This will be fine for your needs and there is an upgrade path to other Cubase versions later on if you need more.
by Grim
Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Project management: Collect all files and save?

There's save project to new folder to create a copy of project with all it's audio.
AFAIK There is no way to consolidate files to an existing project folder.

EDIT...Apologies, posting tired and getting it wrong :oops:

Should have said "Backup project" to new folder as others have advised!
by Grim
Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Error mesage (VST Bridge connection lost).

Use Jbridge or work out which 32bit plugs cause the error and stop using them.
by Grim
Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Loading or converting .fxb files

So they are presets for the VSTi Sylenth.

http://www.lennardigital.com/sylenth1/
by Grim
Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5.30 - ROCK SOLID NOW

It's happened a few times now and I'm not running video.

You can just remove the videoengine if you don't need it. Bit of a hack workaround but better than crashes.
In windows you just remove or rename videoengine dll from components folder...not too sure about Mac I'm afraid.
by Grim
Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I want make a clean reinstallation

If you activated already then the licence is now on the dongle, you won't need to re-activate and you don't need any earlier version to be installed.
by Grim
Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to turn off event sounds in Cubase 7.5?

Well I tried activating my virtual keyboard and couldn't replicate this so don't think that's the problem. But you could at least confirm if it's the same sound.
Right click on the transport panel (F2) and select virtual keyboard from the top area of that menu.
Now when you click on these virtual keys is it the same piano sound you hear?

If so all we need to do is work out how key actions are being converted to midi notes.

One thing....can you confirm it's doing this in a brand new project?
by Grim
Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to make Variaudio changes apply to copied/pasted eve

Audio events should be "shared" copies by default....you may have changed this setting to do not ask again and then selected to create new event at some point so it is just repeating what you told it to

Preferences/Editing/Audio/On Processing Shared Clips = Open Options Dialog
by Grim
Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [ISSUE] - midi keyboard shows activity but Vst doesn't p

Is Cubase playing audio ok?

Do you have the correct interface driver selected

Do you hear the vsti if you play it's built in keyboard?

Do you have the correct stereo output assigned in vst connections?
by Grim
Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FX channels & Pan L/R

Your pic isn't explaining much.....just explain clearly what you want to do...not how you think you should do it but the end result you want to achieve.
by Grim
Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bought Zoom H4N: Difficulty downloading bundled Cubase L

LE is the most limited version....half the number of audio/midi/instrument tracks and 18 FX compared to 28 in AI.

OP: you may also want to read & post in this thread all about activating LE!!

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25117
by Grim
Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trouble recording guitar - no visible waveforms.

I have a regular guitar lead coming from the 'emulated output' of the amp into 'input 2' of a UR22 USB recording interface with the 'HiZ' button depressed

The Hi-Z is only for direct connection from your guitar. The speaker emulated out on the HT1R is at line level.
by Grim
Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR44 - outboard effects routing

OK...so I ran through the process on my UR28M and as far as I can tell from the UR44 manual it will work exactly the same.
Follow exactly this procedure and if it doesn't work please explain where it goes wrong?

1. Turn Direct Monitoring off.
2. If it's active, I would suggest you disable Control Room (VST Connections Studio Tab) for now to keep this as simple as possible.

3. Make sure your cable is coming out of Line Output 3....you MUST NOT use line outs 1 or 2 as they mirror the main mix and would cause feedback. Plug the returning cable to input 3....The 3rd combo connector on front panel (could actually be any input but let's go with 3 to 3)

4. In VST Connections Outputs you'll obviously need a Stereo Bus set to UR44 Mix1 L&R for your monitoring. (Assumes you have monitors connected to outs 1/2)
5. Still in outputs add a Mono Bus set to UR44 Mix2 L
6. In inputs make sure you have a mono bus set to UR44 Analog in 3

7. On the track you want to be effected change it's output routing to Mix2 Out
8. Create a new mono audio track and set it's input as Mix 2 out
9. On the new audio track activate the monitoring button

That's it....this will play your track out through Mix 2 (Outs 3/4) which will then come back effected to the new track.
If you don't hear anything try removing the effects and patching a cable direct...does this work?
If it works through monitors but not headphones open the audio hardware panel for the UR44 and make sure headphone 1 has Mix 1 assigned.
by Grim
Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audio Sounds Different within Cubase

If you imported a professional track into Cubase & it sounded good but in media player it sounded muffled then the problem is not with Cubase....It has to be with your windows sound settings or soundcard (built in audio presumably) software settings or media player settings.

Check if media player EQ is on
Check if there is any realtek software control panel with audio settings...any EQ or "enhancements"
Check Windows sound is set up correctly (Control Panel/Sound & Audio)
by Grim
Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Switching 32 to 64

- Is the 7/64 version gonna take over the the 6/32 version, and how about the 7/32?

You can install and run both versions on the same system without issue... They will not touch the C6 install either.

Can I run my old projects on the 64?

Yes you can.

- How about the vst and vsti plugins? I have a lot of plugins only in 32. Can I stil use them on a 64

Short answer yes....but it's not quite so black & white. Some 32bit plugs work with Cubase bridge, some may cause problems.
Jbridge is often recommended as an upgrade to Steinberg bridge and has a very high level of compatibility though there may still be a few things you cannot get working and some that take a few tweaks before they run well.
This is how I run my remaining 32bit only plugs.

What would you recommend me to do? I'm now running the installer and have to make a change to the 32-bit or 64 bit version button

I'm sure you can make up your own mind now you have the relevant info :)
by Grim
Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Automation playback delayed based on latency?

Question: does anyone know the least amount of time I could get away with moving those points, given that I am at 88.2 and 1024 buffer setting?

Any figure you get given may be right on the users system but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same on yours.

I would test it for yourself by automating mute or sudden volume change (no ramping) on a test signal (place the change exactly on a beat) and bouncing it down, then zoom in and see how far off the beat the bounced audio changes.
You can switch the ruler to samples or ms and then use that figure exactly to shift all your automation. (Or in the case of drum transients you could always add a little extra to be completely sure (as I also wouldn't trust the transient detection to always be exact)
by Grim
Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic