Return

Re: Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

a macro "new track" assigned to a KC, along the lines of :
Code: Select all
- duplicate selected track
- select all events on the new one
- delete
- arm for record

this is a huge timesaver when tracking, since all the routing and FX are already done ...
cheers,
Rhino
by Rhino
Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you press right-click to open the tools menu and hold it pressed for about 5 seconds (it feels long), you can resize the shape of the toolbox. This lets you get to your tools with a shorter movement of the mouse.
Too bad we can't reorder them or make the snap point closer to the center.
by Soul-Burn
Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ummm Logical Editor:

Being a MIDI guitarist from the early 90's the LE was a must learn.
Here is my approach(es):

1-When using it stop thinking like an artist/musician etc
and start thinking more 'scientific'. (similar but not quite the same)

2-Don't go in 'cold'. Decide want you want to accomplish and use a preset
that steers in that direction. There are many in Cubase. Tweak from there.

3-Save your tweak as a preset. You might need it later and you might forget how you got there.
(happened to me a lot at first)

4-Using LE custom presets along with KeyC's can really speed the workflo'.

{'-'}
by curteye
Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

... and a tiny little detail in C7, completely overlooked over all the (justified !) workflow discussions, something everybody will enjoy for a change :o :
you can now define a default preset for each and every plugin, try it, it can be found exactly where you'd search for it and works just as expected, no ill side effects, how's that ? :ugeek:
ymmv,
Rhino
by Rhino
Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is a really old one.

1. A quick way to hear an edit without actually committing to the edit.

If you just want to cut a section of a song, but want to hear the result first.
Simply engage cycle, then set your left locator to the end of the section to be cut.
Then set your right locator to the beginning of the section to be cut.
Yea, backwards.
Now playback from a point before the right locator.
The song will skip over the section enclosed in the markers.

2. Use the FXchain Presets to load whole channels at once.
(Not really a hidden/secret feature at all) I know it sounds obvious
but I haven't had to go looking for a plugin in quite some time.
I have created basic start up channels for everything...
For example: Vocal Channel - (De-esser, LA-2A, EQ)
Even FX Channels...I have 4th,8th,16th note echos in a flash.
The way over used but highly popular phone voice filter effect.
One click loads the UAD Moog Filter, LA-2A, Cambridge EQ and Precision Limiter.

Take the time to set these up and it will save you more time then you could possibly imagine.
You can designate a key command to open the fxchain preset browser as well.
by Rotund
Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Record VSTi instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export ...

F4 -> Output tab -> hit + sign and create a Stereo Output called whatever "VSTi Out". Do not assign this output to any of your audio card outputs.

On your Instrument track, set the output to the "VSTi Output" from the previous step.

Create a Stereo Audio Track in the project, set the INPUT to "VSTi Output"

Enable monitor and/or Record enable.
by JMCecil
Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

a simple one that I use regularly :~

(scissor tool) : alt/click when slicing an event divides the whole event into equal length sections.

not exactly a hidden function, but perhaps a lesser-known alt. tool function & a great timesaver if you want to slice an event in the arrange page for editing.
by bonso
Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Windows 7 64 optimizations?

Hi all! :)

AERO on Windows 7 Windows 8 - OS-X Cocoa Frameworks
As someone already point out, AERO need to be ON to direct all graphic processing to use GPU instead on CPU.
You want the plugins and the Software instruments use all the CPU recourses not the graphic.

There are non benefits to disable AERO only the opposite.
All you see with AERO turn on is handle 100% by the GPU on the graphic card. So it can be good idea to invest in a better graphic card. DSP coding just increase every day so we will see more GPU based coding and add of more functions like plugins use the GPU processing in example Cubase in the near future.

In fact already today many 3 part manufactories base their GUI code and API calls around AERO - directed to the GPU on both Windows 7 / 8 and OS-X . Disable it you will get crashes and conflicts in Windows 7 and 8. On OS-X you can't disable their coca framework and that is a good thing. I hope Microsoft will take that option away so can't disable AERO in the near future.

On Windows 95, 98 and XP all Graphic behavior was to directed all to the CPU only. On XP; direct-Windows and Programs graphic processing to the GPU on the graphic card was not possible as it is today in Windows 7 and 8. There for it was recommend to use so low graphic in use as possible because it took away CPU resources for the plugins and software's in XP. Today that is history.

About MIDI, no its not a background task either. Its a real time operation. MIDI messages are made up of 8-bit words, and are transmitted serially at a rate of 31.25 kbaud.

About Process scheduler on XP to "background task".

That tweak has been used and abused since Matthias Carsten at RME come up with this great tweak on XP. It was meant to be used with specific RME hardware on XP platform only to provide better low latency from 23ms to 3ms.
Even Mattias Carsten that is the original founder of this tweak say as I do and Microsoft and all the tech Gurus in the world would say; that on VISTA, WINDOWS 7 and Windows 8 it should be set to PROGRAM. ;)

POWER Schema shall be on FULL too. Check all USB port too so isn't set to sleep.

BIOS setting- disable all C-wait and Sleep!

UAC-User Account Control
You can go ahead and disable that in Windows 7 and 8. There were talk to take away that feature completely in Windows 8.1 update "Windows Blue". Its no needed as in Windows 8 has another kernel core protection further down inside the core base that has stronger protections against bad code then UAC.

Windows hibernation
Windows hibernation can be a good idea to take away to free up space especially if you use SSD on /C: Windows.
Check the Internet how to do that.

Core parking It can be a good idea on some system to disable "core-parking" in Windows 7 and 8. This is advance operation thru reg-edit so if you have no experience you can mess up your system pretty bad and completely.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Windows-7-amp-Core-Parking-a-better-way-to-Turn-It-OFF-m1861804.aspx

Best Regards
Freddie
by Freddie H
Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

M/S-recording + edits:

If recording i.e. a vocalist with M/S technique (to get that little air around) which I often do, record it to a stereo track (M = left/S = right) instead of two individual tracks. Mix6To2 or Voxengo MSED get you decoded in a second.

That way you can apply i.e. VariAudio + Warp to both channels while avoiding phase issues.

Works exactly the same if you track a DI guitar + an amp, up to 6 channels, see Rhino's tip on multitrack wave editing somewhere above in this thread.
by marQs
Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Here's an easy but pretty powerful one I just made up, been wanting to try that for weeks, always forgot about it :
Write a macro containing both "Bounce MIDI" and "Bounce" (audio), assign a key.
Works 100% transparent in C7, it bounces whatever you have highlighted, MIDI, audio or both ... *
Beats using the glue tool by a mile imho, ymmv.
For some weird reason it crashes 6.5 here though. :(
Go figure, I actually found a little detail that works faster in C7 ... :?
cheers,
Rhino

* No, stupid, it doesn't create a MIDI/audio hybrid. :roll:
Gotta leave something for next week. :P
by Rhino
Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There's a cool thing I discovered. there are some tool modifiers that are not assigned to any Key and one of them is really useful (for me). In preference, under tool modifiers, range tool, you'll find "Select Full Vertical" ... what that does is that if you resise multiple midi notes or audio events with that comand, (let say you're resising the end of multiple files) it won't keep their end positions but all the event ends will align. So let say you recorded a vocal part multiple times and they are all stack but some are longer, select them all, resise the begining and the end with that command and they'll all be the same lenght. Same for midi :D
by trashdinner
Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

this one isn't too known i guess: to replace all instances of an audio event in a project (akin to exchanging a sample in a sampler), put your replacement sample in the pool, the drag it from the pool whist holding shift, and drop it onto the event to be replaced.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

well not workflow but a useful KC (for me at least :) )
open all insert GUI on channel... shift+alt+left click on E button of a channel. to close all of them shift+left click on E again
by mozizo
Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

sorry if this has already been done;

Bounce in Place Macro; very useful

http://www.cubasetutorial.net/category/ ... -in-place/

MC
by Norbury Brook
Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tips and Tricks

TIPS AND TRICKS

The Tips, Tricks, and Workflow Goodness Thread--VERY INFORMATIVE

Tip: Exporting directly to an application of your choice.

Macro to Reverse Locators:

Make a Macro in Key Commands as shown below and assign a key to the Macro. Hitting the key once reverses the locators...hitting it again switches them back.

http://78cf01617e3950417f0c-edf74d1b5a4206a253d3389ccc6c1dae.r38.cf1.rackcdn.com/ReverseLocators.png

-Weasel

Back to the Table of Contents
by Bane
Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i think a new section on the manual or a separate PDF of all Tips and Tricks could be very refreshing way on how to work more efficiently.
http://www.printwhatyoulike.com
http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor
http://pdfbinder.en.lo4d.com/
http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp
all free, powerful and not Steinberg exclusive.
Who needs Adobe ?
Just saying,
Rhino

always scan downloads for viruses, you never know. :idea:

Well.. i was more thinking of steinberg to put all Tip and Tricks known by them... its their software i guess they know all of the tricks.. :!:

First- Thanks to Rhino for the links. Very helpful info.

Second- could Bane's 'The Steinberg Forum Knowledgebase for Users by Users' be used for this?
There is already a 'Tips and Tricks' section.

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=23576

{'-'}
by curteye
Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Steinberg Forum Knowledgebase for Users by Users

Welcome to the Steinberg Forum Knowledgebase.

The learning curve is steep. The manual is boring. How can one integrate all his different equipment into a unified, intuitive music making machine? This is why Bassbase and I built this knowledgebase. The Steinberg Forum Knowledgebase is constantly under expansion and is in no way a static article. We try to provide new insights with everything from opening your application to locking down that next purchase.

To use this knowledgebase to its full potential we recommend you take advantage of the "Search this topic" field at the top of this page in addition to the Table of Contents in order to quickly find your problem.

Table of contents

Cubase Troubleshooting

Tutorials

Elicenser Errors

Tools

USB Mics

Intro to MIDI

Novation Automap with Cubase

Wavelab Troubleshooting

Tips & Tricks

MIDI 101

Expression Maps

Interfaces and Recording

Remote Control Editor

Importing Older Projects

MIDI Instrument Setup

Drum Maps and Extras!

Buyers Guides and Consumer Resources

How You Can Help

Getting Started

Welcome new users! If you have purchased Cubase and are unsure of where to start, look no further. Familiarize yourself with the concept of licensing then move on to the first steps .

Licensing

In order to keep Cubase from being downloaded illegally, Steinberg has implemented a licensing solution to protect legitimate users.

This works by packaging software with an elicenser or "dongle", on which licenses can be stored. Licenses are activated by entering an activation code, which is discussed below. Any computer with the software installed and an elicenser in the USB port is authorized for use. Note that an elicenser can only run on one computer at a time.

Some Steinberg Products, including AI or LE versions of software do not require an elicenser. In this case, a "soft elicenser" is automatically stored to your computer's memory. For portability, transferring these licenses to USB elicensers is optional.

If you encounter any errors during the licensing process please consult the corresponding section below.

First Steps

1) Run the installer on the installation disc. Remember to install this for all users on your system just in case.

2) Open the elicenser control center, which should have installed alongside Cubase, with your USB elicenser (dongle) plugged in. Elements does not require a USB elicenser.
See the following image: Elcc.jpg
3) Click Enter Activation Code and type in the code that was printed on a slip in your package. Once you have finished, a license should appear in a new window, drag it to the desired elicenser.

4) Don’t forget to Register your product online at MySteinberg, so you have support if you misplace your USB elicenser or have any other troubles.

Before you even start up Cubase download the latest update to the e-licenser control center.

This should be updated regularly.

How to make your Forum Signature

Go to your User Control Panel here in the forum, then under the Profile tab, find the Edit Signature on the left. Signatures will help other users understand your system setup when you post your problems.

Bug Reports and Contacting Steinberg

How do I report a problem with Cubase?

If you still need to contact Steinberg, check this out.

Just visit MySteinberg , log in with your Username and Password, then go to Support Request Form on the right. Now fill it out and send your request. You should receive an automatic email to your registered email address, confirming your form was successfully submitted. If you can’t find one, you should check your Spam folders.

Back to the Table of Contents
by Bane
Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hmm... Someone just asked me for a Mac version of a script I worked on in this thread
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=31882

So, I figured this was a good bump place for that thread.

This is a Windows script that will lay out your used keycommands in a useful way and output them in an html page.
by JMCecil
Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Exporting mp3 24kHz 64kBit results in clicks

It is not a bug but rather a filter artefact, MP3 is a 20 year old standard designed to carry Radio signals over satellite and DAB connections and was originally voiced (optimised) for 90kb plus and has a sweet spot of around 128kb and was never meant to carry very low bitrate audio, these filtering artefacts increase the lower you go and when you go as low as this these kind of buzzes are frequent especially at starts and ends of files, or where there is padding or a click in the audio file (such as a record scratch).

The Fraunhofer codec included in Cubase is superior to LAME so there is no reason to use the latter in preference to the former. The reason Ogg is better in this case is that it is an evolving standard, they keep changing it, so it has a 20 years on MP3 as far as development goes and has been tested with low bit rates, but for the same reason you usually have to deliver in MP3's, it is nailed down as a standard and unchangeable so an MP3 file made on one device will work on others. Ogg meanwhile cannot guarantee that a file made today will play back correctly on old codecs which makes it unacceptable for manufacturers of consumer electronics.

The alternative is WMA, actually optimised for low bitrates and supported on almost all hardware and software players, Cubase handles that as well.

I converted a few hundred OTR shows for a friend to 32kb MP3's and I am afraid that despite what MP3 encoder I tried all showed the behaviour on some files although I could minimise it in the built in MP3 encoder by choosing a HQM and choosing a bitrate rather than a frequency rate. In the end I just had a short silence at the start and end of every file to get rid of this altogether.

I also found that some hardware MP3 players had a higher tendency to play bursts at beginning of files than most software players, so I made sure there was a short silence at the beginning of each file as well.

For those files I had already converted I found an MP3 editor that works directly on MP3 data rather than decoded audio data, that allowed me to speedily remove tiny bits of the data at the end of converted files without affecting the quality of the rest of the file.
by Reiknir
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you require more than 8 Inserts on a track, just route into a clean group channel and add another 8 Inserts...
by sonicassault
Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Macro
I've created a macro to see the entire project at once.

Whole Project:
Zoom - Zoom Full
Zoom - Zoom Track Full

It's my most used macro. Better yet if you assign two KC for Undo Zoom and Redo Zoom. (this way you can use the macro to see your entire project at once and one KC to go back to the previous position.

regards
by MGil
Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For me, some of the best tips are keyboard shortcut or modifier keys and are not really hidden but I'll post them anyways:

-Hold shift + Ctrl, left click and drag up or down on midi event(s) to change their velocities
-Hold Ctrl while resising an event (when snap to grid is enabled) to bypass the snap to grid and resise freely (same thing for moving an event)
-This is simple but a lot of people don't know about this, use Grid Relative in the snap to grid panel if you want to move events but keep their starting position.
-when using the Range selection tool, hold Ctrl + Shift to select all tracks
-there's a command called select cursor to end, so if you assign this to a keyboard shortcut and also assign one to split at cursor, you can easily split all files and the select all on the right side of the split to move them
-if you want to delete a section but you want all event after to move where the deleted section is while keeping everything on the grid use the range selection tool while snap to grid is enabled, use the ctrl + shift modifier I talked about to select the part you want to delete (let's say you delete 2 bars), then go to the snap type in the snap to grid panel and change it to shuffle, then press delete. the 2 bars are gone and all event after moved to the left automatically. Don't forget to change the snap type again after tho ;)
-Variaudio shortcuts: press tab to switch between segment and pitch modes, hold ctrl while moving a note to put it perfectly on the pitch, hold shift while moving a note to move it freely
-In mixconsole, alt double click on sends to make the send plugin show up
-Add a Key command to Find track/Channel (in my case it's F) so when I press F I can start typing the name of a track and it will select it ... this is really usefull to find tracks easily in big sessions

I could go on like this but I don't want to clutter the forum ;) I hope this will help some of you
by trashdinner
Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tip for Drum Templates

We all create one track for each mic on a drum set. I put all these tracks in a folder. Fine. But what happens when you want to punch in a drums set? Well the drums themselves are simple but the overheads, hi hat, and any other cymbal tracks sustain much more than a drum hit does. And you don't want to cut off the staining sounds when you overdub.

To solve this I do the following:
1) Create a folder called "drums"
2) Create a two sub folders under drums called "main" and "aux" respectively
3) Create tracks for your drum mics under the "drums" folder
4) Create a set of tracks for your cymbal mics under the "main" subfolder
5) Create a second set of tracks for your cymbal mics under the "aux" sub folder
6) Route all drum tracks to group tracks. (snare top and bottom to snares, 4 overheads(remember, there are two sets of overhead tracks in this scenario) to an overhead group etc)
7) Add FX to group tracks instead of the main tracks. Mix primarily with the groups.

Main advantage:
When I need to punch in I hit the record enable on the "drums" folder and then disarm record on one of the cymbal sub folders (main or aux) that was recorded just prior to the punch in point. This way, the cymbal sustain from the performance just before the punch in point decays naturally and is mixed in with the new punched in drums and cymbals. Sounds seamless as if it were played in one take.

note: I use two bass drum mics, top and bottom snare mics, 5 tom mics, two hats each with their own mic, a ride mic, two overheads and two room mics. As a result, my groups are bass drums, snares, overheads, hats, rides, all routed to another group called drum sub. Finally there is another group for parallel compression and one for the room mics. I do most of my mixing in the groups rather than the individual tracks.

This has worked well for me. Hope it helps someone else.
by Blerg
Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Locators and markers

1- My goto next/previous marker is {Alt}+{+} and {Alt}+{-} very handy as {+} and {-} are already used for scroll

2- to set LR locator to the next 2 markers locate to marker 1 then apply the following macro ({Alt}+{/}
transport- set Left locator
transport- next marker
transport- set Right locator

SeeWhat
by SeeWhat
Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Select midi event(s) in the project/arrange page then Shift + up or down arrow key to change octave
by Stealth
Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Here's my take on bouncing as a lazy guy.

Macro for bouncing without any processing from the main-outs (and also auto muting what's bounced)

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=51477

usage: select the track and part you want to bounce. fire the macro.

The cool thing here is, you set the export window once, and bounce whatever you can, no need to select output when exporting, no need to assign your vsti or audio output to a specific group etc. Your bounce will be unaffected by your main output eq / insert chain.
by sonic74
Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To avoid getting duplicates of a sample that is dragged from Mediabay into your Cubase project appearing in Mediabay (clogging up your Mediabay with many multiples of the same sample), uncheck your Cubase projects folder in the "Define Locations" section of Mediabay.
by Stealth
Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Need more overview in your PlugIns? Here is what I found out about:

Cubase PlugIn sorting

I don't know why Steinberg makes such a magic about PlugIn-sorting (Maybe they want to create reasons to sell it in Cubase 8?). It is easy to manage yet in Cubase 7 /7.5! So this one goes for VST2 Plugins...

1. Create in your VstPlugins Directory Subdirectories like:
\Reverb
\Distortion
\Filter

2. Any VST2 PlugIn you install directly in those subdirectories will be sorted correctly!

That means:

Install for example "Audio Damage Kombinat" into the directory C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Distortion
and it will be correctly sortet near by the Steinberg Distortion Plugins!

If you create a further subdirectory like ..\Vstplugins\Distortion\AudioDamage you have all Distortion Plugins from Audio Damage in one folder, right under the Distortion Group

Nice? ;-)
by sonicassault
Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For Windows O/S: Here is a way to restart a USB midi device that was plugged in before starting Cubase and was running properly but somehow got disconnected during the session.

Once you discover your USB is disconnected and not working do the following procedure:
1) Shut off your USB midi device
2) Re-plugin your USB midi device
3) Turn on your USB midi device
4) Go to Devices>Device Setup...>MIDI Port Setup
5) Find your USB midi device in the list and uncheck the box "In ALL MIDI" this will make the state "Inactive"
6) Recheck the "In ALL MIDI" box to make the state "Active"
7) Hit OK

You would think just hitting the "reset" button instead of doing steps 5 & 6 would work but it doesn't work for me. :?:

Regardless, you should be all set.

Sincerely,
by Prock
Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for this excellent thread!

Maybe a bit off topic, but real time savers

- replace your HD with an SSD
- move to 64bit (W7, Cubase, plugins)
- say goodbye to any plugins that cause crashes
- use a wireless keyboard with key commands for recording (arm, rec, play/pause, go left, undo) so you have kind of remote control

Key commands have been mentioned already. If you have trouble remembering them, invent some system and make them somewhat failsafe. For example, my first level key commands are all non-destructive (mainly zoom an transport functions), so I won't accidentally delete an entire project by just hitting the wrong key. Shift is mainly for audio functions (like gain, pitch), and CTRL will mostly open editors. I always try to associate a word with the letter of the key, so it's not so hard to remember. Maybe not your preferred way, but I think you get the picture...

Pondstreetstudios
by Pondstreetstudios
Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Here's a little one...

The return and Enter keys no longer default to the Export button In Audio Export, and now you have to mouse or tab to the button.

But, you can assign Enter or Return (or whatever) to the Key Command "Perform Audio Export" and get that functionality back. On my system it did not interfere with any other use of those keys. (text fields were confirmed, focused buttons still got pressed.)
by SteveInChicago
Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

here is a little one, not sure if post here but anyway its helpful for me in midi programing and recording "live"
using mod wheel controller to control midi cc7(volume) with input transformer. use it with strings,brass etc.. when the VSTI is not program to do so with modwheel.
very simple code look at the Pic below.(can be assigned of course to control other midi CC of course if need so)

modwheel to volume.png
by mozizo
Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Video Scrubbing

Very nice for film-scoring if you play back a movie on a computer screen: Click directly in the Video Player window and drag the mouse left or right...
_
by Carlo
Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Carlo wrote:Video Scrubbing

Very nice for film-scoring if you play back a movie on a computer screen: Click directly in the Video Player window and drag the mouse left or right...
_

Just found a similar one. Double-click anywhere in the video window to toggle full screen mode.
by BFred
Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The listen keycommand only works when a mixer has focus. Here is how you can instantly toggle Listen on a selected track in the arrange while never having to bring up the mixer (this assumes one uses the control room):

set up a two command macro that first toggles the control room, and then toggles listen, and assign a kc to it. By toggling control room, the listen command at once becomes available, without the need to toggle the actual mixconsole, which the less you see of, indeed the better (also it is considerably faster).
by lukasbrooklyn
Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A little Groove Agent SE Tip for those who likes to layer sounds (I do that a lot with drums in pop songs)

If you add multiple sounds to a pad (by drag and dropping) use the first (top) option when dropping the sounds to a pad to layer them.
At first they will will not trigger at the same time but the different samples will trigger depending on the velocity so while the pad is selected, change the mode to "layer" instead of "velocity" in the main tab. Now they all trigger at the same time but you can't adjust the volumes or any other parameters of the different samples separately ... but here's how to do it:

There are 2 little buttons on the upper right side of Groove Agent SE, one is ABS or Rel (It's set to ABS by default)
and the other one is Pad or Sel (It's set to Pad by default). If you press the Pad button to switch it to Sel (while the multi samples pad is selected) you can now chose the sample you want to change the volume or any other parameters and it will only change the settings of that sample within the Pad instead of all the samples within the pad. So just select the sample, tweak some buttons and when you select another sample on the same pad you'll see the the tweaks you made won't affect the other samples :) I find That really usefull instead of having to have 3 midi notes for my kick sound, I just have one and tweak it inside Groove Agent SE.
by trashdinner
Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

... ok, cool :) , here's something a bit less obvious :
One of the most tragic omissions in current Cubase is the lack of true multi-track wave editing, including free warp.
On the other hand, it's not exactly unheard of to record several mics at once, e.g. on guitars, piano ...
The simple task of editing out noise can get very boring when you have to repeat it over and over, let alone timing adjustments or other more involved tasks.
Not perfect, but at least a workaround for the time being :
Use a 6.0 surround audio track ! :idea:
A bit tricky to setup, and you'll want to fiddle with the 6.2 downmix plugin a bit for temporary listening (maybe on a group ?), but at least you'll deal with a single track that you can edit, warp and comp all you like. 8-)
Once you've sorted out the musical side, maybe only listening to one of those channels/tracks during edits, you can explode the surround track to single tracks for full mixdown control, including phase alignment (if 32bit is ok, I can recommend the mighty and free PreFix by VoS !) and any other mixing stunt you can think of.
To setup such a surround audio track, you'll have to define a 6.0 input bus and 6.0 output bus (this one can go nowhere) in VST connection first.
Once you've created that first track and set up your routing for temporary listening (surround group with only the main mic channel unmuted ?), you can use the abovementioned macro for one-click generation of these complicated tracks, making overdubs a breeze.
Hopefully Cubendo will get an updated multi-track wave editor soon, maybe by improving the current folder method, but until then this workaround might be worth the trouble for some.
have fun,
Rhino
by Rhino
Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

KeyCommand Utility - Now Testing Mac Support

UPDATE: 11/13/2013: New version with an updated css that uses smaller fonts. Added a "." to the empty cells.

There is now a bit of script that lets you more easily choose MAC or PC

#change these two values to identify MAC or PC
my @mods = @PCmods; #set to @MACmods or @PCmods case senstive
my @abrs = @PCabr; #set to @MACabr or @PCabr case senstive

Find this section and set the value after the = sign.

Typical disclaimer - this program isn't designed to do anything useful. If you accidently get it to do something you find agreeable, then that's a bonus. Should running it on your computer ruin your parents credit rating or modify the future beyond your ability to live in it (FZ reference FTW), that's on you.

perl script linked at the bottom of this post
Put the two files from the zip at the bottom of this post, in the directory that has your Key Commands.xml file in it.

Run the script
It will create a KeyCommands.html file
Open KeyCommands.html in your browser of choice.
Bask in the glory of my L33T Perl skillz...

There is a css file with a "background-color: xxxx" value for each command class of command. You can use internet colors or hex color values. Google css background-color for explanation of choices.

NOTE: There are some odd keyboard choices like '-' and '+' that are not treated normally. For example + should really be 'SHIFT+='. But because the + is treated as it's own symbol, there is a + row that can only ever have 1 command mapped to it. And you can never have a 'SHIFT+='. Hope that makes sense.

NOTE 2: If you hover your mouse over a command, it will show you the complete name as it is in the Cubase key command list like below;
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy105/jmcecil_photos/commands_zps76131e91.png

Here is the original thread
Key Command Utility
by JMCecil
Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1:To start play from event start to its end:
select an event(s) (also works on midi notes in midi editor), use alt+spacebar

2: to set locators upside down to an event (red locators) select event use ; control+enter(on numeric pad).
to skip that event in playback when locators are red activate the cycle on transport bar.
by mozizo
Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't know if my tip is already posted in this thread ( sorry, thread is just too long to read all).
But a way to delete a plugin from the Inserts pane in the Inspector in the Project window:

Just click the plugin and drag it out of the slot: It will be deleted from the Insert Slot !! :D
I can't remember from which person i got this info but i really want to thank him and i assume this workflow is faster than
opening the plugin choose window and choose "no plugin" 8-)
How simple and nice can things be ... yikes !
by vanhaze3000
Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cubase Key Commands pdf

Hi everyone!
The attached pdf file contains a list of commands missing in the standard documentation.
It may be useful to search and navigate through existing Cubase сommands when you create macros and MIDI devices.
by Vetalexy
Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Here's a little hidden one :
PC , while in dual panner mode hold down the Alt/gr button and move the mouse up and down on the panner and this allows you to swap your left and right panners so left becomes right and ..........

just in case no ones noticed this ;)
by G-string
Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

rename all tracks inside a folder to the same name
type name in folder, hold down shift + press enter at the same time
by Xtigma
Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Very nice tread!

Here is what helps my work flow and maybe will yours as well:

1. If working with plug ins mainly, I like to insert them on the input channel while tracking, this way the effect is being printed while recording and it will force me to COMMIT. There is beauty in it and when people reminisce about the "good old days" and how tape made everything sound magical, it is often an over looked factor. Committing and making final decisions right from the start, forces you to up your game. When the pressure is on, the performance tends to be better. If you know you can go back a million times and edit to death, that will not help the performance imho.

2. I try to leave as little as possible to the mix down stage to give the sound "muscle'" or to make it fit in right. By the time the song is arranged and tracked/edited. The very thought of having it to mix can be nauseating.

3. I try to avoid presets as much as possible. Generally I find them to be a huge waste of time.

4. I like to print reverbs to audio and mess with them for creative results. Mix and match, loop, reverse or having them in places where they did not originate can give a lot of character and create cool defects.

5. When writing, I like to put all my tracks into a folder track, so let's say I have 3 versions for the chorus, I can quickly move them around, AB, recycle parts, etc, by dragging just those few bars in place to hear it in the context. The arranger track can be used for that too, but I find it faster this way.

6. When editing vocals or instruments I like my final takes comped on a new track ( Id like to see something like beam part to master take in Cubase eventually. I think Pro Tools has it. Here is a simple macro that helps:

Edit - Copy
Edit -Paste at origin

Your selected take in the chosen lane will be copied to a new track as long it is highlighted in its place.

I apologize if any of this or all of it is too obvious.

Best,
F-
by fireinthefishtank
Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hope it was not listed yet:
In the Track Inspector, Alt+Click on the Bypass buttons will reset the settings of Insert / Strip / Equalizer / Send.
by Bacizone
Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi. This is a great topic. I've learned a lot of things!!.
So I'd like to share some way I use to work with Nuendo:.

1. Take a look at Direct Folders: http://codesector.com/directfolders
It provides the function Cubendo should have long time ago, remembering paths . It also let you go to a folder of your choice (previously configured) with middle mouse double click. Time saver. All the stuff from codesector is top notch (Terra copy bypasses windows copy engine. its 10 times faster)
2. I don't use Track Presets. This function seems broken/ not mature enough. Instead of I use export Track Archives. You can make templates of mixed channels (MIDi, FX,Groups, audio, markers etc.) and recall them from any folder!. Just use Direct Folders :). Takes 2 secs. As a bonus I can instantly recall different Generic Remote setups. Just use DF (from now on I will use this as the Direct Folders name :) )
3. I did post a way to make "fake" VCA" on the Nuendo forum. It is the way I like it :) .
Blue Cat company has got a suite of free gain plugins. The nice thing is they respond to MIDI and can be grouped!
So: Insert x amount of Free Gain plugin into desired channels. Group them. Configure them to respond to a Cubendo's MIDI channel. Instant VCA. Here the link : http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13972. And: I f you insert the in slot 6 you ride pre fader, slot 7 post fader or a mixture you desire. PT VCA is a joke in comparison LOL. :evil:
4. Another thing I was looking for was the soundminers ability to PREVIEW SFX with VST plugins. Solution: Just use Headphone Bus (assuming one is using Control Room). You can insert plugs into the bus and preview Media Bay in real time. Link: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=36417. It saves some bucks and lets you "design" sfx as you preview database. :geek:

More to come :)
Thank you for the great topic!!
by blob
Thu May 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic