Search found 12 matches

Return

Re: Making cd for universal use/ as comercials

I used slowest speed, no filename text, only numbers, and no cd text at all.
So I'm curious, how the commercials do. :o)

You said you used no CD Text? You have to use CD Text if you want to read the titles in the car. Use the "T" button at the top of the CD tab and fill in all the titles in the CD Text area. The titles should then show in the CD Text column on the CD tab. Then burn your CD again. If you can read commercial CD titles in the car player, you should be good with what you burn after this.
by bob99
Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UAD Instability - Loading in Playback

The UAD meter does have different behavior in Wavelab 8 than it did in Wavelab 7. In Wavelab 7 the meter would hold after stopping play. In Wavelab 8, it unloads. But I can't get Wavelab 8 to crash because of this. I've taken UAD DSP to 80%, and over 100% without crashing. Over 100% it just displays the message "disabled one or more plugins", like it normally does with too much UAD or Powercore. But I can't get it to crash. I don't have hungry plugins like Ampex or Manley to try though. Just alot of smaller ones. But the behavior is different between Wavelab 7 and Wavelab 8 (Wavelab 7 doesn't unload the UAD when you hit stop). The montage checkboxes in both versions have no effect on the UAD meter.
---
Win 7, Win XP
by bob99
Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: WL 8.5 Multi outputs?

Is it possible to send the output of a stereo track in Wavelab 8.5 to more than one per of ST output?
Using send to bus?
If you mean send to other outputs of your multichannel interface, yes, but it's a little convoluted:

You can either:

1) Duplicate your track, switch the Montage from "Stereo" to "Multichannel, free config" (in the lower right), click the "1:2" to the left of each of the tracks, and route the tracks separately from there, Track 1 to 1 & 2 and Track 2 to 3 & 4.

Or:

2) Don't duplicate the track. Switch the Montage from "Stereo" to "Multichannel, DVD Audio", checkbox "Enable additional DVD Audio", on Channels pulldown set "4 channel - Lf, Rf, C, LFE". Then click to the left of the track where it says "Lf:Rf". Set Top Audio to "Lf" and "Center". Set Bottom Audio to "Rf" and "LFE". It's a strange setup, but it works, sending to 1 & 2 and 3 & 4.

This all assumes your interface in Options/VST Audio Connections is set from channel 1 to 8 from top to bottom. The montage track(s) will output to 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 of your interface.

Maybe someone else knows a better way.
by bob99
Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Encoder Checker - Question

I've noticed that when loud non-MFiT iTunes store files are analyzed in Wavelab 8.5 Global Analysis, the digital peak is -0.0003, and they have no one-sample clips on the error tab. Those same files show digital peak 0.0000 and many one-sample clips in Wavelab 8.03 (as they would show in Apple AFCLIP). I 'guess' this is because 8.5 uses the Fraunhofer AAC codec to decode, and 8.03 uses the Apple AAC codec to decode. Is that correct?

Ideally, to me, an Encoder Checker would have 2 purposes, depending on the client: (1) for label clients, to mirror as closely as possible the codecs that the record labels or retailers are going to use to make their lossy files from the mastering studio's DDP or WAV, or (2) to include "better" codecs (like the Fraunhofer) for those who are able to utilize them for self sales.

That's why I think the Apple codec should be added to the encoder checker and Global Analysis. Because that's what Apple uses to make the AACs in the iTunes store, making them from the mastering WAV or DDP. I admit the codec request is picky, especially considering they're lossy files, but Apple is picky.

Someday I'd like to analyze what codec/settings all of the retailers/streamers are using for encode/decode. That would be more exact information to add to an encoder checker, and since Wavelab includes Ogg Vorbis, could include the Spotify stream.
by bob99
Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Encoder Checker - Question

Well there wouldn't be fees if you're using Apple's tools on a mac but... those are AU only (which WL and PCs can't run).
Apple's a hardware company first. They've not made things easy for competing standards (be they VST or AAX). The codecs are built into iTunes of course, but a)they're not the same ones, and b)they really only make PC iTunes to sell iPads and iPhones. So lack of license fees in these contexts are understandable.
dd

The AU plugin is not needed IMO because it's just an audition thing and Wavelab EC has audition. I was just talking about the AAC encode/decode. I've tested the Windows iTunes "iTunes +" encoder settings against the Mac (MFiT and iTunes). They're extremely close. Which I would expect, because if you make an AAC in Mac iTunes using the "iTunes +" setting and one in Windows iTunes using the "iTunes +" setting you would expect to get comparable files. And they are. Extremely close. Close enough for Apple to call them exactly the same thing.

The Mac iTunes "iTunes +" encode matches the MFiT official droplet encode exactly. It didn't used to, but they changed the settings in iTunes to use the "mastering" parameter settings. Therefore the Windows "iTunes +" is extremely close to the official Mac MFiT.
by bob99
Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wavelab 8.5.10 meta data

iTunes can't read CD Text. It can only write CD Text. Try the CD in a text capable car player or CD player. jperkinski has a good explanation of all the specifics here:
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=60796&hilit=gracenote
by bob99
Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: WL newbies needs tutorial on basic album-mastering workf

It sounds like you're very very close and don't really need a tutorial to me (sorry I don't know of one anyway). I'm not sure what you find clumsy about clip plugins, but I think they offer you the most options. You can save and load plugin chains, and you also have track and montage master plugins as options. As far as saving DSP, that's one of the things Super Clips are good for. In your clip that has clip plugins, right-click in the upper half of the clip and select "create super clip" (internal sub montage). That will render the clip in place with effects, so will free your DSP. If you need to modify the plugin settings or anything else about the clip later, right-click in the lower half of the clip, and select "edit submontage". That will bring up the clip with all your original plugins available for modification.

You can render selected clips with effects in the Master Section render dialog, but the Super Clip thing makes much more sense for your context.
by bob99
Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"this file can´t be played without resetting the audio device.
please stop monitoring or recording, or wait to play this file." my audio settings are:
playback > output 19-20 going to DA2
external chain > output 17-18 to DA1 input 17-18 AD1 (analog loop)
recording > input 17-18 (i didn´t choose any monitoring path here)thanks
I get that error message when the recording file format in the Record dialog is not set to the sampling rate of the source file I'm trying to play back. In the following pic, I'm attempting to PB a 44.1k file, but the record soundfile format is set for 96k. Maybe not exactly your problem, but maybe something similar.
441 source 96 rcd format.png
Also, I tried setting up how I think you're auditioning and recording (PB orig file in Wavelab out thru ExtGear plug, back in thru the next plugins in the Master Section (in my case Curve EQ, Stereo Delay), out the Master Section faders to disk. So the newly recorded file contains all that processing. Following are the only settings I could get to do all that (with audition while recording), with the setting "Record what is played back":
Record with extGear and plugs.png
Is that how you're set up? You might have a different way that works also.
by bob99
Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i also have to do a research on the rec-audio-input thing.
Kapverden, the following seems to work for recording only the external gear (which if I'm understanding correctly is what you want to do: Playback the unmastered file in Wavelab, out thru the external gear, and record only that external gear back into Wavelab). The following method allows you to do that and audition either just the external gear, or the external gear plus the plugins that follow it (which are not getting recorded).

In the record dialog:

INPUT: AUDIO INPUT (HARDWARE)
SET INPUT: RECORDING CHAN 17+18. (the inputs set on your EXT gear plugin).
If you UNCHECK THE MONITOR BUTTON, that will give you monitor of the whole chain, including the eq and comp plugs in the master section.
If you CHECK THE MONITOR BUTTON, that will give you monitor of only the external gear.

But regardless of the monitor button status, only the external gear will get recorded.

You can toggle the monitor button during recording and it won't effect the recording. Only the external gear will be recorded.

I got your playback error message once when setting this up, but I can't replicate it. The only sure way I can replicate it is if the record file format is set to a different sampling rate than the file playing back, which is not what happened to you.
by bob99
Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Then you can copy and paste the recorded audio file into a montage, and import the Master Section plugins with settings to the clip. You'll get a message it can't bring in the Ext Gear plug, so just ok that.
Wavelab 8 Import MS Plugins to Clip.PNG
by bob99
Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Render Montage to BWF and include pauses?

I always make a copy of the Montage with a different name, convert all the CD Track Start markers to CD Track Splice markers (except the first) in the marker list by clicking on them, then delete all the CD Track End markers (except the last). There might be a more automatic way now, but I've been doing it this way so long I've gotten used to it. You can also do it initially in the CD Wizard with the Splice option if you don't need any CD Track End markers.
by bob99
Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ISRC code in Broadcast .wav

sm_studio, you can use CD Track markers and ISRCs in a 96k montage just like in a 44.1. That's the easiest way to do this if you already have a 96k montage. Put in the CD track markers and all of the ISRCs (using the wizard or manually), and then render individual 96k files from that montage using the selection Regions/CD Tracks, and using the ISRC factory preset in the file format metadata section in the render dialog. That's the easy way to do this and get the right ISRC into each of the individual rendered files.

If you want to add the ISRC directly to an existing audio file instead, open the audio file, go to the metadata tab, and select the ISRC factory preset at the bottom. Then go to the AXML tab. In that block of text is an ISRC variable: @ISRC@. Replace that whole variable "@ISRC@" (including the @) with your real ISRC code. Only remove the part that says @ISRC@. Then go to the ID3 tab (ID3v2). Replace the whole "@ISRC@" variable there with your real ISRC code. Then save the audio file.

Just be aware that until the next Wavelab update the BWF ISRC (the AXML part of this) will not be totally compatible with some other programs.
by bob99
Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic