Search found 32 matches

New ways of mixing habits

I'm trying to get to grips with the new metering functions - especially the loudness meters.
In the "old days" I mixed so the peaks were -1-2 dB and loudness around 12-18 dB- depending on the material.
Now we have LUFS and LU and AES17 and recommended level is -23 LUFS.
If I mix a file that is -23 LUFS the peaks max at -10 and RMS at -20. Sounds much weaker than my old mixes.
And all the different meters scales - Digital, EBU,DIN, British, Nordic, K-20 etc.. - very confusing.. - what shall I aim for ?
I've been reading up on the subject but haven't found an "explanation for dummies" - including the Steinberg videos.
Can anyone direct me to where I can find easy to understand comparisons ?
by madsv
Sun May 19, 2013 1:20 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C7.0.6 mono to stereo plugin

For me it depends on what effect you're using or needing...

If it's specific for only the one track then use it as an insert, and in this case you need to create a new stereo track and copy the mono track to the stereo track (I think that's what you need because the track type e.g. stereo/mono/5.1 is fixed when you create the track...).

Or if you're using an ambient reverb type then you'd be better off with a send, and then you may well use it for other instruments, which'll help the track gel together too.

In terms of processing power, it makes no different using insert or send, but the point of sends is that you can route more than one track to the same effect, that can't be done using inserts of course because you'll use up your processing power by adding too many effects.

by GargoyleStudio
Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:36 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase IC Pro feature suggestions

Here's a request for a feature that would be extremely useful. A teleprompter feature!

Yes, there are separate teleprompter apps to download, but having it incorporated into iC Pro would have the great benefit that the text is synchronized with the project playback position. When the playback position changes, the text position adjusts accordingly.

Why limit it to text, by the way. Why not put the chord track to good use and let iC pro generate scrolling chord charts?

If Steinberg want's to really go "all in", it could even be synched with the Score features. Wouldn't it be useful if iC Pro could display a scrolling score? Again, locked to the playback position. Either for multiple instruments or for the instrument being recorded.
by Svenne
Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:31 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is there an easier way to rename markers?

Good to know about the reordering (thought I replied to that but I don't see it).

Yeah, while I'm a big fan of usability, I don't pay the bills with music anymore. I'm a professional software developer, so I have some sympathy for the lives of developers, who almost never get to make the call on what should go into the next release.

If it were up to the devs, we'd have the most kickass, fully featured, easy to use software on the planet.

It would also never ship. :)
by ChrisDuncan
Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:09 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

7.5.30 opening projects+freezes

This is happening frequently since installing the latest 7.5.30 update.
After I close a project then try opening another using the menu, Cubase, all programs & my computer freeze up.

Can't close Cubase & have to restart my computer.

Anyone else, suggestions?
by soul patch
Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creating triplet notes

Yeah, man, no worries! Cubase is the godfather of MIDI sequencers. If you can think it, it can do it somehow. ;)
by enjneer
Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:52 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How to solo FX channels?

Yeah, man! Now you got an honest-to-goodness solo bus!

No, it's not obvious at all. Bad Design there.

In fact, I'm not too sure why Cubase doesn't switch over completely to the CR model... It's so much more powerful, and works much more intuitively like a mixing desk.
by enjneer
Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cool New Feature - color coded keyboard in Key Ed!

Many thanx for this tip !

This is amazing indeed and for me serves another purpose:

- Add Chord Track in Project Window.
- Disable "Automatic Scales" in the Chord Track Insprector.
- Create a Scale event in the Chord Track and set it to the scale you want.
- Open a midi part in the Key Editor and set Event Colors to "Chord Track"
- Now input some notes.
- Now transpose these notes; the notes become red if they are not in your chosen scale.
the notes become light blue if they are in the chosen scale.

So handy, thanx SB !! :D

Actually that behavior has been there since the Chord Track was introduced. Additionally the notes will be dark blue if they are in the current chord but not the scale. FYI you can also change these colors if you want by using "setup..." in the Event Color menu.
by raino
Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:07 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Convert mono track to stereo

Hi there

There is a simple way to do this. Go to the media pool. Select the file in question, right click, convert it to a stereo file and drag it from the media pool to where you want it in the project

Best Regards

by DaveAbbott
Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:06 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: is there any midi fx or function which allows doing stru

It's not the root. It's the lowest note. Intervals are in the Position in Chord parameter with names like Root, fifth, 3rd and so on.
by SteveInChicago
Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:55 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: is there any midi fx or function which allows doing stru

Doesn't the midi FX "chorder" allow something like this?
by Airyck
Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:01 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thanks for the 8.010 release update

another thread that has gone completely off topic...
by Luis Dongo
Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:52 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8.0.10 is here

I'm thrilled about this:

"Fixed an issue with ASIO peaks when using audio drivers from RME"

Hopefully this will solve my issue with constant ASIO spikes rendering my system unusable. I've spent hours trying to track down the issue thinking it was something with my system, and all along it was likely a known bug. Oh well, at least I learned a few things through all the troubleshooting.

Can't wait to get this installed tonight and see if this indeed solves my problems! :mrgreen:
by Subsonic
Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:27 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nerdish question about "humanizing" timing

Interesting article.

I don't think it can be done via the transformer since there is no logic in it to figure out where you are within the project.

But automating by the delay is pretty easy. In the attached I'm ramping from 50ms before the beat to 50ms after it. This is of course more than you'd want to really do but I wanted the timing change to be real obvious compared to the click. The automation is just a straight line so it is smooth enough over 12 bars (although abrupt when the loop cycles back to the start). I also randomized the position of the midi notes between -11 and +11 ticks (120 ticks = 16th note by default) to add additional and probably unnecessary variation.

I initially tried doing this using the MIDI Modifiers in the inspector and automating the min/max values to randomize Position. But oddly the max parameter disappeared after I automated the min. So I switched to the insert plug for MIDI Modifiers which was better anyway since it had an actual delay parameter in ms.
by raino
Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nerdish question about "humanizing" timing

I look forward to reading this article - this is a subject of great interest to me.

You might be interested in something I wrote a couple of years ago regarding humanizing MIDI performance. You can find the article here:
by dmbaer
Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:53 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

8.0.10 Important Heads-up

For those serious enough to read manuals it should interest you to know that the Operation Manual has been revised with the 8.0.10 update release!

Sections have been added.

There are a whopping 9 pages more in the new version, though admittedly some of this is due to poor editing (misplaced page breaks), there is some new material.

So don't forget to update your PDFs if you have them stored in other folders or on other devices (readers etc.).
I expect the files in the installation folders will be automatically replaced.
by BriHar
Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:57 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help me understand setting up GAIN STAGING in Cubase 8

The video you linked in the first post is a very good one and describes a technique used by many at the beginning of a mix. Consider it (as with so many things in this business) as a "guide line".
IMO that video is rather misleading since It somewhat confuses -18dB in relation to 0VU. It also neglects to mention that changing the input gains in an existing mix (as portrayed in the video) will also mess up any dynamics effects in the inserts or strip sections (input gain is pre inserts). If you don't understand these things you could get into an awful mess.
by stingray
Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:36 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to export list of VST effects and instruments?

I don't see a way to export from the plug in manager page like we used to be able to in CB7.X. You can export from the plug in information page. That's it. See op manual page 400.

Maybe someone else figured this out and will chime in here.

Regards 8-)
by Prock
Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:58 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it a bad idea to clean install C8 Pro?

I have Nuendo 4 on my machine,along with C8 and havent any issues.But as you said,you have been upgrading as you went along so its hard to know.I usually wipe my computer once a year as crap just builds up and a clean install does help get things running smooth again.Depending how much programs you have it can be a day- 2 day job, but is worth it in the end if things run smoothly again.
by nucube
Fri May 08, 2015 4:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to stop quantizing controller data?

If the recording of controller data is limted to 0-127, why does the numerical value for pitch bend, for example, show over 8000 increments in either direction (up/down)?
Because, unlike CC# data, pitchbend is actually spread across two data bytes.
Anyways, even if CC# data could be recorded with a finer resolution, the receiving instrument wouldn't know what to do with that extra data.. if volume, expression, or whatever CC parameter, is controlled by MIDI, it is expecting to see one of 128 values for it.
The possible exception is Registered and Non-Registered Parameter Numbers (at the discretion of individual manufacturers), whereby a parameter is (similar to pitchbend) stored over two data bytes, but, unlike pitchbend, it is simply recorded as two separate controllers (each with the now-famous 128 point stepping :) )
Anyways, no need to simply take my word for it ;)..
by vic_france
Sat May 23, 2015 10:23 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A VSTi scanner such as Akai´s new Virtual Instrument Pla

I have the Advance 49 running VIP.

The VIP software is only for VST2 instruments, so for any VST3s, you use Cubase's regular methods -- Track and Rack instruments and so on. VIP does not load VST Effects.

All in all, the Advance keyboard with Cubase makes for an impressive set-up, if perhaps a bit cumbersome at first. VIP has some stability issues, but it runs within Cubase or in Stand Alone mode.

I like Cubase's way of dealing with Tracks and Racks, but am adapting to having VIP available within Cubase, too.

You get a very nice suite of VST instruments with the keyboard. An interesting set-up.
by Stephen57
Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:01 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI not recorded correctly

.... If I then load up my normal working template and again use MIDI Ox to re-replay the same MIDI file and record it in Nuendo, the results are very different. First if I record it at a song position with no other clips whatsoever:

Re-recorded into full template - position 1.png

And then if I record it inot the same song, but where there is some MIDI activity already going on:

Re-recorded into full template - position 2.png

Not much difference between the two, but both show very poor timing and note length consistency.

In fact, this is better than if I record something live, because in the test MIDI file there are no overlapping notes. If I play live into Nuendo, even a fairly simple line but with some legato notes or perhaps 2 or 3 note chords, then I get much worse results, because alot of note offs are not recorded at all, meaning I get the stuck notes that I showed in the screengrab attached to the original post.

Not sure where this leave us, but IMHO there is a serious problem with Nuendo's ability to accurately record MIDI which gets steadily worse, the busier the session becomes.

by Trailerman
Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI not recorded correctly

By way of comparison, this is what happens if I use the exact same method to re-record MIDI back into Nuendo 6.5 (see attached file).

MIDI recording, even in the same very large template as tested above, is pretty much perfect, showing MIDI jitter in terms of note position and length of 3 ticks maximum.

To my mind, this demonstrates fairly conclusively that MIDI recording in Nuendo 7 is seriously compromised, to the point of being unusable in larger projects.

by Trailerman
Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:40 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[BON-11138]Recorded midi notes are placed earlier than recei

The number of ticks the midi is early is tempo dependent, so this negates the possibility of a workaround of using a logical editor to move notes to their proper position. Moving by milliseconds can get closer, but, again, tempo changes make this method an inaccurate one.

To see if you have this problem, do the following-

1. Add a midi track and record two quarter notes. Quantize both notes so they are exactly on the beats.

2. Set the output of this midi track to an IAC driver bus. (on Mac)

3. Create a second midi track and set the input to the same IAC driver bus and the output to anything else.

4. Record the output of the first track into the second.

Result= The midi notes recorded into the second track are earlier than the first track. (If you begin the recording directly on the bar containing the notes, the first note will be correctly placed and the second will be early)
Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:55 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8.0.30

Romantique Tp wrote:This list doesn't mention the MIDI jitter issue that Guillermo said was going to be fixed in this version. I assume the list is incomplete.

I tested it, it's fixed!
by Mike3345
Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:23 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In an earlier post Mike3345 reported that he tested as fixed in this update the following that had many of us going crazy: [BON-12234]Cubase 8 has bad midi jitter
I have not had chance to test this yet, but I hope he is right!
Before moving to 8.0.30 I recorded 16 measures of quarter (drum) notes to the Cubase metronome in 8.0.20. I then did the same in 8.0.30 (using the same template). The two patterns look very similar. So, it does not appear that the problem was fixed. And perhaps this is why it was not listed in the version history.
by BaseCu
Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:00 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

resomedia wrote:Still not addressed... Going on a year.

Perhaps if this had been posted under Issues instead of Feature Requests they might have known it needed fixing.
by raino
Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:49 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAY something good or be deleted .....

It is not about saying something good, just have a look around, we're leaving all the complaints on the forum.
But calling names and accusations of criminal activity is something different to complaining.
You managed to get two warnings in one day, usually granting a temp ban according to the rules, which you didn't get.

It's just matter of not calling names and behave in a civil way. Critiques are welcome.
by Fabio Bartolini
Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hello, chiming in briefly to inform you that I reported this already.

by Fabio Bartolini
Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:32 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When does cubase 8.5 comes out?

2nd December

Please avoid this kind of comments, there hasn't been an official announcement, this is how rumours get started!

And im sure 8.5 will support windows 10. Forcing us to upgrade..

Nobody is forcing you to update your OS, neither your version of Cubase.

My guess is that there will be a free update of Cubase 8 that addresses the Windows 10 incompatibility before Cubase 8.5.

Quite a lot of under the hood features in Win10 regarding midi timing and processor core allocation that can be very useful for music software like Cubase. But leaving other Windows versions behind seems very unlikely.

We do not recommend to update to Windows 10, although you are free to do so as well... but if you experience problems, well we recommended you to stay on your already stable platform.On the other hand, the timing issues mentioned on our website are not caused by us but by Microsoft, they have to fix it, and we are waiting on their update to recommend our users to update to Windows 10.

Microsoft has sent something, yes, but we still need to run some tests.

Best regards,
by Guillermo
Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:05 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Windows 10 Fall Update

The best solution is - use the media creation tool and reinstall OS from scratch. At first I let Windows get updated via Windows update; but e-licenser gave some error, I guess like plectrumboy mentioned. In disk management it was obvious M$ upgrade process had some bright ideas, so no wonder e-licenser cried....anyway, I used M$ media creation tool and reinstalled OS from scratch. All went OK. No errors. Of course, I always use my tool of choice to format SSD prior reinstalling OS, etc. I know it's a pain in the neck, installing all your programs, plugins, etc... but, personally, I avoid "upgrade OS" route; update 1511 is a big one, so it's best to be setup from zero. At least, in my experience.

Honestly, that'll get old pretty quickly as we do these updates. It's certainly possible to do, but does add a lot of wear to your SSD, and take a good chunk of time.

Also, you may find that the various copy protection tools break at the smallest change. They've been my bane here for some time. I really do wish they were unnecessary. When it gets reported to us, we reach out to the copy protection folks. One example was a fix we put into the Insider builds because the builds were confusing everyone's iLok. We reached out to them, figured out what was happening, and put in a patch. Ultimately it was that the copy protection software was doing some pretty unsupported things, but we patched anyway.

by Psychlist1972
Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:08 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic