Search found 53 matches

Return

Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Got a cool tip or macro to add to the list? Spotted an error or know a better way? Post it here and I'll add it on as and when I can!

There are lots more juicy tips in this thread that haven't been collated yet, or are a bit too general or complex to fit in this post. Have a wade through and see what nuggets you find.

Excellent Thread by Bane (looks like hundreds of hours of work here) thanks Curteye.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=23576#p151237

Great Site Full of Tutorials thanks Norbury Brook .
http://www.cubasetutorial.net/

Best Ever Workflow Tip

The one piece of advice that keeps on coming up over and over: Learn the Key commands and assign your own. Almost every function can be set to a key command.

Here's an excellent thread by JMCecil with a utility for setting up and viewing key commands.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=31882

Project Setup

Make templates!

Get a session set up how you like it, tracks ready to go, input and output buses, group channels, folder tracks even favourite VST instruments and FX, this is a BIG timesaver.

Template From Existing Project

Save your project under a different name first (avoids ‘lost project embarrassment’). Delete all the Audio/MIDI stuff you don’t want in the template from the project window. Hit [CTL]+P to open pool and right [Option]click, select empty trash.
BEWARE, don’t choose erase unless you don’t need the files, choose the‘remove from pool’ option. Erase option will send your files to digital heaven. Then choose Save as Template option from the file menu.

Naming Tracks

In the Arrange window, click in the track name box to get a curser, type in the tracks name ie; ’Kick’, hit [TAB] (cursor jumps to next track name box) type in next one and repeat. Hit [Enter] to end.

Naming Tracks Inside Folders - by Xtigma

Rename all tracks inside a folder to the same name.
Type name in Folder Track, hold down [shift] + press [enter].

Rename all events on midi track to track's name - By Mozizo

Dbl click track name(fonts highligted with blue).
Press and hold one of the modifiers and press Enter.

Assigning Input Buses and Channel Outputs

In the Mix Console, select the required audio channels and as you assign the 1st channel (Drop down menu in Mix Console-Routing Tab) hold down [Shift] and each channel will be assigned incrementally.
Holding [Shift]+[ALT] will send all selected channels to the same Input bus or output.

Macros

To create a macro

File/Key Commands/Show Macros/New Macro-and name it.
Highlight the command from the commands window and hit 'Add Command' after each.
The new marco should now be visible in the macro folder in the commands window. Assign it to a Key of your choice.

New Track Macro - by Rhino

For creating a new track with all routing monitoring and FX settings from existing in one go.

Project - Duplicate Tracks
Edit - Select All On Tracks
Edit - Delete

Bounce In Place - by Winter Rat http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=30597

Cubase Ninja Pro-Tools style Trim Automation - by Lukasbrooklyn http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=38182

Set L and R Locators to next 2 markers - by SeeWhat

Locate to marker 1 then apply the following macro ({Alt}+{/}.
transport- set Left locator
transport- next marker
transport- set Right locator

Mix Console/FX

Default FX Presets - by Rhino

In any FX container window, next to the preset box hit the cubase icon and choose 'save as default preset'

Open all insert GUI on channel - By mozizo

[shift]+[alt]+[left click] on E button of a channel.
To close all of them [shift]+[left click] on E again.

Reset Channel Settings - by Bacizone

In Track Inspector - Alt+Click on the Bypass buttons will reset the settings of Insert / Strip / Equalizer / Send

Audio

Pre-Insert Volume Automation

Make sure the 'Use Mouse Wheel for Event volume and Fades' option is activated in Preferences. Editing/Audio page.
[ALT]+Click on an audio event to cut it around the area you want to change, then hover the mouse over it and mouse wheel up for louder (up to 24db) or down for softer. Will also work for multiple selections or entire Audio events. Won't work for an Audio Part unless you dissolve part first [CTL]+ right[option] click to open context menu and choose Audio/Dissolve Part.
[CTL]+M/Wheel near front of event to adjust fade in or near rear for fade out.

Replace all audio clip instances - by lukasbrooklyn

To replace all instances of an audio event in a project (akin to exchanging a sample in a sampler), put your replacement sample in the pool, the drag it from the pool whist holding shift, and drop it onto the event to be replaced.

MIDI

MIDI Octave shortcut - by Stealth

Select midi event(s) in the project/arrange page then Shift + up or down arrow key to change octave.

MIDI Velocity Editing - by trashdinner

Hold shift + Ctrl, left click and drag up or down to change velocity on selected MIDI events.

Logical Editor - by Curteye

Being a MIDI guitarist from the early 90's the LE was a must learn.
Here is my approach(es):

1-When using it stop thinking like an artist/musician etc
and start thinking more 'scientific'. (similar but not quite the same)

2-Don't go in 'cold'. Decide want you want to accomplish and use a preset
that steers in that direction. There are many in Cubase. Tweak from there.

3-Save your tweak as a preset. You might need it later and you might forget how you got there.
(happened to me a lot at first)

4-Using LE custom presets along with Key Commands can really speed the workflow.

VST Instruments

Record VST instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export - by JMCecil

F4 -> Output tab -> hit + sign and create a Stereo Output called whatever "VSTi Out". Do not assign this output to any of your audio card outputs.
On your Instrument track, set the output to the "VSTi Output" from the previous step.
Create a Stereo Audio Track in the project, set the INPUT to "VSTi Output"
Enable monitor and/or Record enable.

Layered Samples in Groove Agent SE - by trashdinner

If you add multiple sounds to a pad (by drag and dropping) use the first (top) option when dropping the sounds to a pad to layer them.
At first they will will not trigger at the same time but the different samples will trigger depending on the velocity so while the pad is selected, change the mode to "layer" instead of "velocity" in the main tab. Now they all trigger at the same time but you can't adjust the volumes or any other parameters of the different samples separately ... but here's how to do it:
There are 2 little buttons on the upper right side of Groove Agent SE, one is ABS or Rel (It's set to ABS by default)
and the other one is Pad or Sel (It's set to Pad by default). If you press the Pad button to switch it to Sel (while the multi samples pad is selected) you can now chose the sample you want to change the volume or any other parameters and it will only change the settings of that sample within the Pad instead of all the samples within the pad. So just select the sample, tweak some buttons and when you select another sample on the same pad you'll see the the tweaks you made won't affect the other samples :) I find That really usefull instead of having to have 3 midi notes for my kick sound, I just have one and tweak it inside Groove Agent SE.

Vari Audio

Variaudio shortcuts - by trashdinner

[tab] to switch between segment and pitch modes.
Hold [ctrl] while moving a note to snap to pitch.
Hold [shift] while moving a note to move it freely.

Editing of M/S - Recordings - by marQs

If recording i.e. a vocalist with M/S technique (to get that little air around) which I often do, record it to a stereo track (M = left/S = right) instead of two individual tracks. Mix6To2 or Voxengo MSED get you decoded in a second.

That way you can apply i.e. VariAudio + Warp to both channels while avoiding phase issues.

Works exactly the same if you track a DI guitar + an amp, up to 6 channels, see Rhino's tip on multitrack wave editing here http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=49327#p301663

Video

Video Scrubbing - by Carlo

Very nice for film-scoring if you play back a movie on a computer screen: Click directly in the Video Player window and drag the mouse left or right...

Toggle Full Screen Video - by BFred

Double-click anywhere in the video window to toggle full screen mode.

General

Resize Tool box (Arrange Window) - by Soul Burn

If you press right-click to open the tools menu and hold it pressed for about 5 seconds (it feels long), you can resize the shape of the toolbox. This lets you get to your tools with a shorter movement of the mouse.

Scissor Trick - by Bonso

Scissor Tool : alt/click when slicing an event divides the whole event into equal length sections.

Reverse Locators to skip section - by Rotund

If you just want to cut a section of a song, but want to hear the result first.
Simply engage cycle, then set your left locator to the end of the section to be cut.
Then set your right locator to the beginning of the section to be cut.
Yea, backwards.
Now playback from a point before the right locator.
The song will skip over the section enclosed in the markers.

Got something to share? Post your tips and ideas in this thread and I'll add them when I can.
by Paul Coyle
Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.06 crashing within 40 seconds

And some users complain about lack of support.

+1 @ Fabio.
{'-'}
by curteye
Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

Should be free for Cubase 7 users especially who brought the software last 15 december 2012 for 150euro, why? We waited one year before have a semi stable version 7.0.6, nothing to compare with rock solid version of 6.5.5. I've stopped to use C7 six months ago, because missing mixer stuff, crashes on mac, incompatibility with Melodyne, glichs problems with Variaudio, a lot of problems with Native Instruments stuff....but I could continue....
Too bad Cubase 7 doesn't work properly for you in OSX. I did hit a brick wall with C7.05 in Win 7, but 7.06 works really well. I think version 7 is a fantastic update feature wise and Cubase is just getting better and better. I have no problems at all paying for the updates. Maybe you should consider booting Win 7 on your MAC, it's worth a try me thinks.

7.5 seems to be a perfect update for me, track visibility in the arrangement window, track version and "tab to transient". Boy I have been waiting for transient snapping for ages, it's going to substantially speed up my work flow when doing dead-head editing on acoustic guitars and drums. Maybe even on vocals, depending on how well it works.

And VST Connect 2 SE is a killer. I'm using VST Connect 2 PRO and it's really really good! HUGE improvement from the SE version in Cubase 7.

Keep up the good work, Steinberg! :D

Fred
Sound On Sound contributor
by ninjafreddan
Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

I will stop this discussion, it's too obvious at now. I will not upgrade to 7.5 until a super rock solid version under osx, and I will not upgrade to 8 if Steinberg will not fix all bugs and compatibility problems with 3rd party plugs... :D

The only real issue C7 had with 3rd party plugins was with audio damage plugins on 7.0 ... it was fixed a while ago. I had some 3rd party plugins issues in the past and it wasn't cubase fault ... I used to be on Adobe Audition and it was hell compared to Cubase. I then switched to Pro Tools because that's what we were using at school and I had huge crashes and that was back in the days when Pro Tools didn,t have any auto backup options so I was always loosing precious work :( When I switched to Cubase I never looked back! I've seen a benchmark test somewhere (I can't find it but I'll post the link if I do) and they tested all the major DAWs on the market and inserted as many plugins as possible (all 3rd parties) and Cubase was almost always on top for the most plugins while still being reliable. Pro tools was not so far behind but Studio One, Logic and all the other where really far behind. Steiny also fixed some UAD plugins issues that were happening in rare occasions in Cubase. Seriously, if you have doubts, try another DAW and you'll be thankfull for Cubase.
by trashdinner
Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

c7.5 is absolutely ROCK SOLID

Halion 5 with all 16 outputs being used .
Ga4 se with 12 outputs being used .
Padshop pro with the 4 instances being used .
Alchemy with 2 instances being used .
Uad plugin's .
Camel plugin's .
External fx x 2 .
External instruments x 8
AUTOMAP 7.0.3beta

NOT A HINT OF A HICK UP .

MIXDOWN ............. PERFECT

Since I was given the information how to stop Cubase crashing on exit I have not had one problem with C7.5 , you can all hate me for saying this but on my workstation this has to be the most stable Cubase ive ever used ! FACT .

im over the moon .

Don't turn this into one of your moaning whinging threads .This is a feel good thread for systems that are running correctly .
by G-string
Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 Bug: VST performance peak?

I recently did some extensive tests on performance peaks and eventually reproduced something very similar on my home rig. Tried all kind of audio and video-card drivers combinations as well as disabling / enabling Windows services, the only thing I didn't touch is the BIOS.
Wow. Above and beyond service. Way to go Fabio.
by SteveInChicago
Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Got it sorted!

Earlier I posted how spikes and occasional clicks were definitely related to graphics for me, and how I was able to prove this by removing the AMD and Intel drivers entirely. Problem is, this is not workable in the long term because it disables just about every graphic option (including Aero).

I decided to try Fabio's advice and install a much older AMD driver - 12.1. And guess what - not only did the CPU peaks disappear, but the average load also decreased as well!! I am so happy to get to the bottom of this - it wasn't completely unworkable before, just annoying...and now it is like a new lease on life! For me the red peak indicator never lights up now, not even momentarily. Here's what I did if you have a Radeon (AMD) card of any kind and want to give it a try:

--Download driver package 12.1. You can do this from the AMD site by choosing your hardware and OS, but then when presented with the most recent driver, instead click on "Previous Drivers and Software" in the bar on the right. I chose the oldest one, v12.1 built on 1/25/2012.

--Completely uninstall all current AMD drivers and software. On windows, do this through Control Panel:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

--Reboot.

--Install the package you downloaded in the first step. I did NOT install Catalyst Control Center NOR any of the video transcoding options.

--Reboot that bad dog!

I mentioned earlier that moving the slider to disable mouse cursor enhancement also worked, and coupled with Fabio's comments about plugins "overriding the the default behavior of the pointer", I feel that this is definitely a contributing problem for many people who are getting CPU spikes (at least on Windows). Important note: I did not actually need to have any plugin windows open to get the spikes - the plugins only needed to be instantiated somewhere in the project.

THANKS FABIO for the suggestion! 8-)
by meta-redundant
Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have a couple reports that using older drivers also solved the same issue with nVidia cards.
Using an old driver from 2012 for Intel's on chip HD Graphics (iGPU HD3000/4000) fixed some VST performance spikes here, too. Only got spikes in Cubase 7.5 when an instance of East West's PLAY 4.1 engine was loaded, though.
by Anando
Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thought I would share some of my own recent (and highly insane) tests!

I was getting weird spikes on a brand new Xeon workstation build. My older 2008 computer ran 7.5 fine. I noticed that it was centered primarily around locating the cursor in the project - clicking here, clicking there. After further experimentation, I realized it was caused by doing anything mouse-heavy. So, I did the following:

--Disabled my high-end Radeon GPU.
--Reverted to the on-board Intel integrated graphics.
--UNINSTALLED the Intel graphics driver, and used the generic Microsoft (!) driver (weird, but keep reading...)
--I went to the Troubleshooting tab of the graphics adapter, clicked the "Change Settings..." button, and moved the "Hardware Acceleration" slider one notch to the left (read about trying this in an old Nuendo forum post). For further info see http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-off-Hardware-Acceleration. I only moved it ONE notch, not all the way off!

Guess what: all CPU spike problems completely disappeared .

For confirmation, I then updated the generic driver to use the latest Intel build, and all the problems reappeared . In my case it is definitely related to the graphics rendering -- and what's weird is that using generic (software) rendering is an improvement!

The problem is that you can't just move this slider and forget about it, because the Change Settings... --> Hardware Acceleration slider is only available when using the generic Microsoft driver -- the entire "Change Settings" button is greyed out when using any vendor-specific drivers :(

FWIW, moving the slider one notch to the left disables "cursor and bitmap accelerations."

Try it yourself and see if the same thing happens for you! If so, this is definitely worth pursuing from a Support perspective.
by meta-redundant
Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Revelation

Finally found some time to check out revelation in Cubase 7.5 using a HALion 5-patch from my library Sonic Cinema and I like the sound of this reverb a lot. Adding modulation to their algo reverb tail was a very good decision by the Steinberg developers, thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK-eijUxeGA
by Simon Stockhausen
Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TECH SUPPORT, HELP!! 7.5.1 Crashing on Startup

Hey guys,

Please contact Support through MySteinberg (top right on the Steinberg home page) > log in > Request Support. Describe the problem in your report, however do not paste the Problem Report (as I found it's length makes the request too long and resultingly not go through). Hopefully with data from enough of us they'll be able to figure out what's going on.
by Brock
Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: equalizer in channel settings is gone??

Thank you for the assistance. I downloaded the iso and reinstalled, updated and it works perfectly now. Not sure what happened, but it is now fixed. Thank you!!!
by gooden321
Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dongle Cubase 7

Approx a half hour later and Steiny responds.

How kool is that!?

Go Steiny! and a major 'mahalo' to Fabio.
{'-'}
by curteye
Tue May 06, 2014 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase upgrade - How to from a ways back?

Do I understand you right in that I can put version 7.5 over the top of an 6.02 install and it will update that? Or do I have to install fresh from scratch after uninstalling version 6.02?

Cubase 7.5 will install independently from 6. If you already have 6 installed, you don't need to do a thing. You might want to leave 6 installed for familiarity while learning the new features of 7.5.

I would install from the complete 7.5 ISO images in Fabio's link. First, install the latest eLCC and get your license up to date.

http://www.elicenser.net/en/latest_downloads.html

After that, you should be good to go.
by Scab Pickens
Tue May 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dongle Durability

Steinberg took remote-access today and resolved it for me

That is soooo kool.

Yes, I have spoken to the tech support team and had beyond an EXCELLENT service each time. Not that I ever would, but this is one reason why I would never use 'crack' copies of software (and I am offered it all the time by musician friends all over the world). When something goes wrong you have nobody to turn to. :shock:
by monsterjazzlicks
Tue May 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cursor flickering & Auto Scroll jerky

Hello all,

This is a duplicated issue, we already have this under investigation and it is on our collected Issues sub-forum.
Somehow it seems that it is related to the way Windows OS handles the graphics.
We have spotted another DAW that manages this issue by displaying a second window on top of the program that runs a "fake" cursor to avoid this flickering behaviour. A separate thread that handles only the graphic cursor and lays it over.

Which tells us that it has more about the problem, but as I mentioned before it is still under investigation.

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=195&t=54159

Best regards,
GN
by Guillermo
Thu May 22, 2014 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase Stopped Saving .vst presets?!

We found out the Browser pointed to a non existing folder inside the VST3 User Preset location for the affected plugin and did not fall back to default. That's a bug and will be fixed.

A folder inside a VST3 User Preset Location unfortunately cannot be renamed from (within the SaveDialog, not even from ... Edit: see my next comment) within the MediaBay. If that would have been possible, you would not have run into the problem. I'll take that feature down as a request for the future.

Meanwhile, if you want to rename a certain folder in the Finder/Explorer make sure your Preset-Browser does not point there and shutdown Cubase before. The User Preset Locations, like VST3 User Presets are roughly rescanned on Cubase start and the changes will be reflected by the MediaBay and their Preset-Browsers.

NEVER rename anything like the folder of the <PLUGIN> or the <VENDOR> or any parent folders of them, doing so would break the VST3 Content structure.

But what if you got stuck and do not want to remove your complete Defaults.xml? You can remove the affected item in the defaults manually, an editor like notepad++ comes in handy for the following steps:

*** CAUTION: PLEASE! backup your data if you don't know what you are doing here. Your Cubase Defaults become corrupted if their xml structure is broken. ***

1. Close Cubase
2. Go to the preferences folder and open the "Defaults.xml" in your editor.
3. search for the string "mediaBrowserSaveVSTEffectInternalState_<VENDOR><PLUGIN>" see my example, here <VENDOR> is "Steinberg Media Technologies" and <PLUGIN> is "Padshop". Your should find something like this:

<item>
<string name="Group" value="mediaBrowserSaveVSTEffectInternalState_Steinberg Media TechnologiesPadshop"/>

... snip ...

</item>

4. delete the complete item.
5. Save the Defaults.xml

Done.
by Joerg
Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The last word on Hyperthreading (4930k)

this is correct

""" guess this is because the original Hyperthreading (Xeon, Pentium 4 if I remember correctly) wasn't that efficiently implemented by Intel."""

again I build and sell about 1200 systems a yr. a good 600+ are for pro audio. a large amount of those are for Cubendo.

DO NOT TURN IT OFF PERIOD

FYI we do complete integration. in other words before the system ships we install the interface and Cubendo and completely test it. (if you already own both)
and we completely support not just the system but Cubase(and other software) and the interface (or other hardware)

so this is not experience from 1 system but thousands of systems. been doing this almost 17 yrs.

if you are seeing issues from HT on your system is not built or tweaked or set up correctly. that simple.
there is a very rare nearly unheard of issue but that is another story. for 99.9% leave the HT alone.
by JCschild
Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The last word on Hyperthreading (4930k)

then something is not right..
most likely the fix is here

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... ates+turbo

very old topic and most of it no longer applies to newer processors but does for the 970.
by JCschild
Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Feature requests about ADR

Hi!
Back to this topic just to say thank you Steinberg. Almost all points I made in this post are now implemented. :D
Now only to have this parroting style recording in would be awesome. And vocalign style of syncing recorded takes!

PT folks should finally admit that Nuendo is a great tool worth looking for.

Thanks!!!

Bye / Tumppi
by Tumppi Järnefelt
Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Missing presets for 3rd party plugs after upgrade.

Try a rescan in media bay.....
by CWS
Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Missing presets for 3rd party plugs after upgrade.

Hello Mike,

if you have 3rd Party plug-ins installed in custom folders or in the Vendors' folders, you will probably need to add their paths under Devices -> Plug-in Information -> VST2.x Paths.

Best,

Thanks, Fabio, yeah had done that. The problem was not the plugins but the presets. CWS steered me in the right direction.

Best to you,
mike
by mike841
Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why cant i get an answer from Steinberg?

It's a phenomenon that this subject is brought up when there has not been an update for a while, even though over the past few years the pattern of updates is not much changed.

The participation of Steinberg employees is a double edged sword for them- if they had never participated at all no one would complain that they didn't participate enough, and wherever the bar is set according to what we see here on the forum there are compaints that it must be better. Also, take note of the fact that they sometimes reply on their own time, outside of work.

My observation is that over the past year and a half there as been more participation on their part. The US support team has been regularly replying to posts, where previously it was fairly rare to see them. And Fabio posts very frequently, and is quite responsive with the users here, e.g., in this very thread.

But, that's the internet, the world's complaint department. ;)
by SteveInChicago
Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why cant i get an answer from Steinberg?

Fabio Bartolini wrote:I understand it can be confusing, especially in the Inspector and in the "Edit Channel Settings" panel, as there is no dividing line like in the MixConsole.
I will let the proper people know, in case it has not been requested by the beta testers already.

Cheers,

Thx Fabio, have a nice day
by NoMad92
Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dongle Down! Can anyone help?

I can confirm Fabio's information there.

My USB had begun to intermittently not connect. Swapping ports gave it just enough more life to have me be able to make that transfer.

So might as well just go ahead and have an extra dongle hanging around, better to do it now, and not be worried about how long it takes to rcv.
by mpayne0
Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hey guys. So what's new? Upgrading from SX3. Dinosaur.

There is a post I wrote about that that highlighted 5-10 reported and confirmed issues that would make my life a nightmare. Read this:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=222182#p222182

Although I perfectly understand your point and sticking with whatever works for you, that thread is very old and all the issues in your post have been solved in either 7.0.2 or 7.0.3 (except one that does not exists anymore). I don't think it really applies to 7.5.

Excellent information. Thank you Fabio!
by swamptone
Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase Artist in Brazil?

Olá Abif, boa tarde.

Meu nome é Eduardo Sterman, sou responsável pelo atendimento da Steinberg no Brasil, trabalho no escritório da Yamaha Musical em São Paulo.

No Brasil, temos apenas o upgrade do Cubase AI/LE/Elements para o Cubase 7 completo. Não há upgrade para o Artist.

O upgrade que você procura se chama "Cubase 7 UG4 (upgrade 4)" e pode ser encontrado em nossos revendedores autorizados. Ele atualizará seu Elements para a versão completa.

Tanto o Ateliê do Som, como a Steinbergshop e outras lojas já estão cientes da disponibilidade deste produto. Algumas delas já possuem o produto em estoque. Confira a lista completa de revendas no link (já passado por outro usuário): http://www.steinbergbrasil.com.br/revendas

Se o Sr. continuar com dificuldades em encontrar o produto para venda, por favor contate-me no e-mail eduardo.sterman@music.yamaha.com e eu encaminharei seu contato para nossos parceiros, reforçando o modelo do produto que você precisa.

Espero que consiga resolver com facilidade, as revendas: Atelie do Som, Steinbergshop (2600Hz) e DigitAudio são ótimas revendas, especializadas, portanto o Sr. será bem atendido em qualquer uma delas.

Atenciosamente,

Eduardo Sterman
Steinberg Brasil / Yamaha Musical do Brasil
by steinberg_ymdb
Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.30 causes audio stuttering & Avg performance load sp

I am intrigued by this problem. I have not noticed it yet myself but if things start glitching my first port of call is the Performance meters to see if they are red lining (which they usually are when the pops and clicks start). I then work my way back disabling plug-ins, asio guard etc until I find the culprit. Last time I had a problem it was because the CPU fan had stopped working and the CPU was shutting down due to overheating!

I appreciate that the 7.5.30 may be the cause of your problems, but can I suggest that we take a more scientific approach to try and work out exactly what it is that is causing the popping? If switching off the automatic hitpoint detection function in Preferences stops it, then reporting it here helps us and Steinberg focus on that area as a possible cause.

It is unlikely to be a fundamental problem with Cubase as we would all be suffering it. So lets keep investigating and see if we discover anything.
by Graham_Simmonds
Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi guys!

I got a similar problem yesterday when i did a windows update; audio dropouts and higher cpu load.
I did a system restore and the problems disappeared but today when i reinstalled the updates the problems are back.

I use win 8 pro. 64bit

I did not notice any problem with cubase upgrade from 7.5.20 to 7.5.30, as others are reporting. In my case the issue is linked to the recent Windows update, see attached image for the updates I did.
by kimprotein
Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase Score Editor Wish List

I assume a scaled down version will replace the current scoring in Cubase. This has not been stated, and there is no reason to think so. Daniel Spreadbury has said that some of the technology developed for the new app might find its way into Cubase Score, and the impression I had was that it's behind the scenes stuff. Those who read his blog will discover that the new application is being written using a different set of engineering tools than Cubase also.

could someone from SB give us a voice about future development of the Score Editor in Cubase/Nuendo ? Score Edit continues to receive enhancements. During the C7 cycle the Key Editor inspector was integrated into the Score Editor, along with its chord editing tools. There were other added features, key commands, bug fixes. This stuff is listed in the new features doc for the major versions.

If you think the Score editor is inferior to Logic and DP's implementation, it is only because you are not well enough acquainted with Cubase's Score Editor. There are a a couple Score Editor experts here in the forum who will gladly answer questions about its use.

As you might deduce from my tone, I use it and like it a lot, and while I sometimes have a bit of a love-hate relationship with its quirkier aspects, there is no question in my mind that for writing and editing music via notation it can only be beat by the dedicated apps, like Finale and Sibelius. But then you don't get any of the other Cubase features, and of course you cannot integrate notation with audio recording in those apps. For me Cubase Score Editor is the Swiss Army Knife of notation programs, and Cubase is the Swiss Army Knife DAW. I am pretty sure it's the official DAW of the Swiss Army. ;) :lol:
by SteveInChicago
Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Problem with ADAT optical

Fabio Bartolini wrote:You've got PM!

Fabio, you are the greatest!!! Thanks for the personal service, your service in Europe and Germany rocks!
All is working now!
Kenny
by kzarider
Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase Elements 7 crash following Windows Update

Hi,

I had many crashes with C7 and C7.5 while loading projects. At 80% times Cubase crash. I'v try to reinstall Windows and all my software. Sometimes was ok, then more crashes. I was think that iLok2 was a problem. The I found problems start after Windows updates. So, after Windows update I must uninstall iLok2 software and install it again. And...problem with Cubase crash while loading projects gone ! But when Windows self updating its starting again...Then I uninstall iLok2 software....again. I can live with it. But why it happens. i don;t know.
Cubase Hub is off.
by serenity
Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase Score Editor Wish List

johnstaf wrote:The most important thing for me would be a method to input notes with the computer keyboard,
Cubase has this. See page 756 of the english manual.
by SteveInChicago
Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [R-13242]Eucon (Artist Mix) not following track visibili

Hello all,

This current behaviour is correct and the case since Nuendo 3 & Cubase 4 supports EuCon and is Euphonix`s technology to use their own structure/technology for assigning the channels to corresponding faders stored in
"Layers" for the surface. So, basically this "Eucon (Artist Mix) should follow track visibility" is a feature request and not a bug.
We have already implemented the "Mixer mirror" feature/option but cannot be delivered on the current EuCon(version 2) adapter.
We are waiting for the delivery of the next EuCon(version 3) adapter. As soon as we support EuCon 3, this
functionality (mixer mirror/track visibilty) will be available & usable.

Best regards,
GN
by Guillermo
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Please don't misunderstand me Fabio. I want to be part of the solution. I also really appreciate your efforts, & I love to see official people in here.

I just realized that 99% of the casual forum readers will never venture into this part of the forums, and therefore will not have any valuable feedback that might help us resolve our problems.

Will try to get an NFO file to you this weekend.

Frank

http://Www.solidsound.com
by bigboi
Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[SOLVED] 7.5.30 - audio stuttering & Avg performance load sp

Bigboi (and others experiencing this issue), I reinstalled .30 but put cubase in safe mode and the stuttering disappears. I haven't yet deleted my preferences but I am thinking the issue is with control room which is currently disabled when I safe mode? I send 2 headphone cues. Wondering if this is another or THE common denominator that may be causing the issue, Going to restart cubase and disable control room and see what happens.

EDIT - Disabling the control room in .30 reduces the load peaks/stuttering but doesn't eliminate it. Started stuttering after 3rd playback loop. Going back to safe mode and will run another continuous loop to see if it ever peaks/stutters.

EDIT 2 - Launching cubase again in safe mode makes the avg load peak spike/stuttering problem go away. At this point the surface control layer of my mixer is not communicating with cubase nor is control room setup or my Frontier Tranzport. While in safe mode I am going to add each configuration and monitor each before adding another configuration to see what starts the problem...if everything works with my full configuration then is this simply another "trash your prefs solution"??

EDIT 3 - Ok so in safe mode...all my external hardware is configured and control room is activated and sending 2 headphone mixes. Have I found the issue and resolution which is to trash my prefs and reconfigure in normal mode? I am going to delete the prefs by choosing "delete preferences" which is one of the options when you launch Cubase in safe mode. Will rebuild configuration in normal mode and report back, please hold.

EDIT 4 - Reconfigured Cubase after trashing prefs. Problem solved. From now on any time I do an update or upgrade I'm deleting the prefs.
by cmaffia
Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Getting in to MySteinberg

That's great. Thanks, Fabio.
:)
by jpjeffery
Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please update the Audio-engine to x64bit double precisio

And the math backs it up too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9EeW9WhNWA

Here is old AES-Video that that explain the benefits with x64bit floating double precision audio-engine VS the 32bit floating audio-engine.

...except that it neither proves nor explains anything, it's just marketing talk, based on an intentional misinterpretation of the facts.

I have already explained why - in this very thread.
by TheNavigator
Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You seem to miss out that it actually effect the audio. :)

Lol. :) I mix in a product that has switchable 64-bit dsp and I would challenge anyont to pick between the two modes in a legitimate blind test. I never even turn it on. I have very good monitors and a Lavry Black DAC and i can't hear the difference in using it's 32-bit float engine vs the 64-bit float mix engine mode and i suspect most people claiming it sounds better can't either.

Every change in math "affects" the audio in some way. The question is if you can you actually hear it. I've yet to see anyone prove they can hear it in a legitimate listening test.

If you find those results - a legit blind test where somebody choose the 64-bit float engine as better, with results exceeding pure chance - let me know. Until then it's just ... "more must be better, because, well, it's more". :)

And I'm certainly no expert but reading your comments you clearly don't understand the difference between 64-bit floating point resolution for mixing, 64-bit plugins, and 64-bit operating systems. Your kinda mixing them all up. :)
by Audiocave
Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fabio Bartolini wrote:You didn't consider that you cannot plug your DAW's audio engine outs directly to your ears ;-)

Speak for yourself, mon frere! When I listen to my DAW it's the audio equivalent of this:

by UltimateOutsider
Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fabio. I had about 15 crashes at loading projects today. Was try everytging but still crash. Then I disable vst3 folder and no crash. Then I found Slate Digital VTM vst3 was a problem. I spend 2 hours to figurate this. Lucky then I finish projects for client. But what a loose of time...and money :( Now I afraid to open projects again...
by serenity
Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It doesn't help. Problem was VTM. Slate support help me today. They told me to uninstall and delete hided folder then instal again VTM. Now its working ok. But told me there is a problem with windows updates...
by serenity
Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Licence issue

I know for a fact it's the Wireless IC software as I don't have any other soft licenses on my PC from Steinberg. All my Steinberg licenses are hardware based, ie on my dongle, so it's nothing to do with my eLicenser hardware.
Then I'd recommend to
1) launch eLCC to verify that the Soft-eLicenser installed on your system does indeed contain no important licenses,
2) quit eLCC, then delete the Soft-eLicenser from your system (it's located at "%PROGRAMDATA%\Syncrosoft\SeLicenser.sel").
by Dirk Stegemann
Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CPU Power in relation to VST Performance

DAWs need to be set up for the best worst case. In other words, having some reserve beyond its worst likely PEAK performance latency.

Just like peak meters are required to make sure full-scale is not reached, even though the RMS might be much lower, the same holds for performance, where the VST Performance is like a peak meter, and the OS CPU performance figures are closer to RMS meters in function.

You can have a system only using 20% on average, but a short peak CPU usage spike may allow the buffers to empty, resulting in hiccups. So, unless something is wrong, one would still need to increase the sample buffer size (or overclock the CPU) to prevent such spikes from creating problems in future.
by Patanjali
Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CPU Power in relation to VST Performance

This also has to do with synchronization (dependencies between tracks).

I have explained it in detail in German here:

viewtopic.php?f=217&t=64467
by TheNavigator
Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Strophoid
Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [ISSUE] Steinberg Hub not connecting?

I just wanted to let you guys know that removing/renaming the files in question still does the trick for Cubase 7.5.30 and Windwos 8.1 with no noticable drawbacks to my EWQL-products at all.

Great support!
by monoescape
Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Usb E-Licenser has already been registered.

It appears you bought a used eLicenser which has already been registered by the previous owner. You should ask them to "un-register" it.
J.L.
by jaslan
Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R-13452 Key Editor opens at Clip Start not at Cursor

@Mike, thanks for the repro. I used it to submit a report.
by SteveInChicago
Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [ISSUE] Key Editor opens at Clip Start not at Cursor

I think the part that people are missing is that the editor isn't closed between double clicks and therefore the behaviour changes:

0) Align the cursor in the middle of a long midi part (say 20 bars)
1) Double click a midi part to open the editor and ensure you can clearly see that the cursor has been centred in the window
2) Do not close the editor, but double click the same midi part - the window contents move to shows the start of the midi part not the cursor position.

Now, this is a trivial thing to be doing, but it is the shortest procedure to demonstrate what happens, i.e. the start of the part is shown rather than the cursor section. In real use you would double click a few other parts on other lanes or tracks to see them, but you'll always see the start not the section at the cursor.

The potential reason why this is an issue rather than feature request is because it didn't used to be like this in previous versions, although I haven't checked which version I recall that it changed at some time.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Portico download...where is it?

Hello again Fabio,

Thank you for your prompt and courteous response and for sorting out a download for me. It is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
George
by Suburban Studios
Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic