Search found 16 matches

Return

Re: Thunderbolt

In my opinion Thunderbolt is one of the most over-hyped "technologies". It's nothing new, just 2 older iterface busses squeezed into one connector/cable.

It's just another example of artificially trying to make older equipment look obsolete.
by Jarno
Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dockable Chord Tracks

Not exactly what you requested, but... you can set the coloring mode to "Chord Track" which lets you see if a note is on a chord, on the scale, or off scale. This might still be a good solution to your problem.

Watch the Steiny video here (at 9:11):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TAyFKpk1fLc#t=551
by Soul-Burn
Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

For my real job, I have a 8 year old Sandisk 8 gb Cruzer thumb drive with a slide out connector on my key ring. It looks no different than the dongle except for the slide out connector....

That thing gets the s#!t beat out of it 6 days a week and has a backup of our accounting file on it. It is a critical backup. My dongle only sits in my desktop rear USB slot and has fallen apart several times. Someone here mentioned it fell on carpet and came apart...so did mine

No argument on how the Cubase security works only that if the license has such a value,give us an opportunity to preserve it. My wireless USB keyboard and mouse receiver stick out only 1/4".

I know this has been said over and over again but, WTF..can one more time hurt? Yep, I have a spare un opened for the last 4 years
by knuckle47
Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

track visibility (finally), tab to transient, and track versions are very nice upgrades for me, the rest is useless to my workflow. I was hoping for an instrument track to audio track function a la Studio One (wonderful implementation there) or at least a bounce in place function a la Logic...
by dr4kan
Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Since when did software developers begin charging for half versions? My understanding is that 7.5 is not a "NEW"

version, as "Cubase 8" would be. I bought 7 at full price. As far as I'm concerned, I should get all updates, half

versions, "upgrades," etc., until a completely new version is introduced, for the price I paid initially. I'm pretty

irritated about Steinberg's choice in that regard - people didn't pay extra for 6.5, what's up with paying for 7.5?. To

me this is yet another example of corporations splitting hairs in order to stuff their pockets. Going this route essentially makes you dope dealers. What next? Start

charging for quarter versions, or every single update? It's still version 7 until it's version 8, in my book, and I paid

for version 7 and all it's incarnations as far as I'm concerned. Why didn't they just stuff all these new features into

Version 8? Here's why: because the cost to purchase a entirely new version is prohibitive to most and people will balk

at it, so if you can exploit your customer base by pricing "upgrades" just within reach (for approximately another $75

US) by promoting the idea they're missing out if they don't have the new features, then they'll bite and everyone there

at Steinberg is a marketing genius - albeit a greedy one. :evil: Not cool, Steinberg. I paid for version 7 and you're

telling me 7.5 is, essentially, a new version and you must be paid for it - so, in essence, I've paid $575 for version

7? It essentially appears that the 7.5 "upgrade," with the exception of a couple of features, is just an attempt to

force me to buy your plugins. Please don't go down the same road Adobe did, they shot themselves in the foot with their

Creative Cloud series of graphics programs. Just about everyone hates their subscription model. They then got their

servers hacked and customer info and credit card numbers stolen out of spite because people hated the power struggle

involved with trying to own and control their own tools; not be dictated to and treated like sheep, and keep control of

their own craft - hey, we're not all sheep, some of us are programmers. Their new software was immediately cracked and

hacked and spread all over the 'net like Nutella on toast. Just an FYI: "Out of one's ignorance, another's genius is

born." Corel corporation is now enjoying a healthy renaissance out of Adobe's selfish ignorance. I guess you better make

hay while the sun shines, eh? I'll pay for the update because I use these tools constantly, but don't look to

me for continued brand loyalty. I'll learn a new interface if I have to in order to protect my wallet. This business of

charging "by the inch" ultimately does not set well with people. So, a year from now, when you're on the verge of

releasing version 9, do the folks that are still using version 7, then get the 7.5 update for free because it doesn't

"count" any more? I just bought Halion 5 two months ago, you gonna jack me for another $50 or so for Halion 5.5? GRRRRR!
by Shabadoo
Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My initial feeling is that there are some very nice changes (or redos of things that didn't quite come out right in 7.0). HOWEVER, I see no info on what I am interested in... easier navigation... key commands... improvements to MIDI.

IOW: there are a lot of very sexy features... but I see less and less focus on polishing the CORE product in favour of MORE SYNTHS! MORE FX! MORE BIG STUFF! And frankly, I don't need any more 'big' things. I just have a list of -little- things I've been waiting on for perhaps 10 years.

And that makes me feel like all they are interested in are NEW SALES! I would much rather they charge people like me a proper fee to get the thing -polished- once and for all and stop adding more BIG STUFF!

---JC
by suntower
Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Again, without "beatzmakers" who are you sound engineering for? This attitude and lack of respect would not get a dollar from me.

Who said anything about me being an engineer? I'm a classically-trained composer with a Ph.D. "beatzmakers" are DJ's, remixers, whatever you want to call them, but they don't actually make music, just rearrange someone else's loops.
by papi61
Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I’m 54 and I’m not a DJ or beatzmaker as you put it but I know many as I do classical musicians and one is as skilled as the other. Do you realise how arrogant as well as ignorant that made you sound.

All I said is that DJ's and "beatzmakers" don't actually make music, they just rearrange someone else's loops. Factual. They might be very skilled at that, but in my book, they're not "musicians." In other words, apples and oranges. If that makes me sound arrogant to your ears, so be it. Do you have any idea how many years of study and practice it takes to become a good classical (or jazz) musician? And you think a DJ is just as skilled as a musician? Seriously?
by papi61
Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Very simple to implement request.

This can be done already with a post process script.
I've attached a zip with a script that opens the containing folder and selects the exported file.

Just extract the two files from the PostProcessOpenFolder.zip to c:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Audio Export Post Process Scripts\ and you can select the script from the export window.

http://i39.tinypic.com/amawbl.gif
by Niles
Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EQ and High Cut Resonances

Hi all,

for those interested, I confirm that the filters in the EQ section are 12dB and that the response received and posted by "mbbx5aw2" is correct, except for the difference between the two EQ section filter types.
Please read the details below:

Type II reacts to Q-factor and can be adjusted to a very high resonance, Type I reacts to Gain, with a rather subtle resonance. That is for compatibilty reasons. Type II was introduced with StudioEQ. Type I is the old Channel-EQ.

For small values of resonance they can be set to be (almost) identical, for example:
Type I Highpass: Gain 0 dB, 1 kHz, Q 1
Type II Highpass: Gain 0 dB, 1 kHz, Q 4.1

Hope this helps.
by Fabio Bartolini
Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.0.7 late update

We are discussing since last year about Cubugs versions of 7, first release was obviously a Alfa and maybe beta version of the new platform. Was a dramatic improvement between 32bit and 64bit technology, Steney changed the programmers and project management, we don't know the reasons, probably money as always. I can understand the stress and the problems to put hands on a complicate software programmed by others before. But the considerations should be just some.

1 Steinberg sell audio software
2 Users buy audio software for play, for job, for fun, etc

If you play for fun, could be ok and you can wait until the DAW is fully or partially fully working until the next release, who use the DAW for job means they pay the DAW for their job, for living because that software makes easy job too. Those people don't want a unstable beta version, yes they could pay 50 or more for fixing of course is not a big expenses... yes I can do that, but I need the new software NOW because my job depends from that.
Someone can say "don't buy the new version", "just stay on Cubase 6.5.5", yes no problem too. But this is MY FIX not a Steinberg fix. They sell a wonderful machine, with wonderful features than I would like to use for my job immediately not after 2 years. I want remember to all Cubase 6.5.5. is not fully fixed yet if we refer to the software specifics.

Its same for any kind of things in the life, if you buy a guitar you'll aspect the Guitar plays tuned, if you want a Piano you'll aspect the piano does not have broken key, same for audio board, for the computer system etc. It's all part of a big complex studio processing. And Cubase is a Flagship product of honored software house like steinberg.

Beta testing is a part of the programming structure, is the most important part, in the past Cubase users was like a Nuendo Beta tester, now we are all beta testers for Cubase and Nuendo for free. Nuendo users are less and less than before, especially on Mac their are disappeard, I've sold my Nuendo Licence 2 years ago.

This is not normal, because this brings a lot of informations to the programmers of course, but will takes longer to fix all the bugs. Ask money for fixing the bugs is offensive for all user already payed for the DAW. I don't care if the others do the same, this is not serious and honest especially for musician than use Cubase for create and sell their music. Cubase 7.0.7 is not complete bugs free but Steinberg announced this is the late update. And my "Steiny sense" suggest me we are beta testing 7.0.7 to make 7.5.10 more stable next month. So peoples payed to upgrade from 6.5 to 7 then beta testing until 7.0.7 for more than 1 year to pay again for a more stable but not bugs free 7.5.10. I think we will see 7.5.12 or 13 before Cubase 8, but in the meantime...

Is not a money problem Steinberg! it's about respect the job we do for living the job we do for you reporting bugs.
If you are not ready to sell the new DAW don't do it, or take a chance to stop producing DAW and concentrate all the energies under iOS, you will make more money, we will move to Logic and everyones happy.
by ufoqbase
Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

For Windows O/S: Here is a way to restart a USB midi device that was plugged in before starting Cubase and was running properly but somehow got disconnected during the session.

Once you discover your USB is disconnected and not working do the following procedure:
1) Shut off your USB midi device
2) Re-plugin your USB midi device
3) Turn on your USB midi device
4) Go to Devices>Device Setup...>MIDI Port Setup
5) Find your USB midi device in the list and uncheck the box "In ALL MIDI" this will make the state "Inactive"
6) Recheck the "In ALL MIDI" box to make the state "Active"
7) Hit OK

You would think just hitting the "reset" button instead of doing steps 5 & 6 would work but it doesn't work for me. :?:

Regardless, you should be all set.

Sincerely,
by Prock
Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is there a Steinberg VST SDK Forum?

I am getting into Plug-in design and a forum for the SDK would be useful..

Also, if I was to make an emulation of a piece of hardware, would I have to pay the company of the hardware some sort of licensing fee/share of profit or is it fine to just sell it anyway?
by civictiger
Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Essential EDM plugins

godparticle7 wrote: The guys at NI Maschine have done just this, one plugin dedicated for each of these sounds

WORKARUND: Get NI Machine.
by claesbjo
Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please update the Audio-engine to x64bit double precisio

The mathematics in this video is ridiculous.

All this guy demonstrates is how easy it is to conflate floating point inaccuracies to confuse the audience with his marketing talk.

I'm all for getting the best stuff, etc... but double precision mixing is not necessary. Let me explain why:

1. If a 24 bit recording is converted to 32 bit float, which is a meaningful and very well understood operation, the fraction part is 23 bits PLUS one bit of sign, which gives us 138 dB of SNR
2. If (and I suspect that those errors really matter, because there is also reconstructive surgery aka "low pass filtering" at the end of the DAC chain involved) an additional error of, say, 12 dB (and the video only speaks of 6 dB of error!) is introduced, it still doesn't matter, because a) we will never use signals that loud in real life without having our ear drums rupture and b) should we do that because we go crazy, we can still dither

I, therefore, call double precision mixing pointless. Seriously, I'm all for the best in sound and the most creative music and all that, but from a mathematical point of view, there is no point whatsoever in going that crazy.

If the SONAR mixer sounds better (which I can't check myself), I believe it has to do with additional processing, NOT with the bit depth.
by TheNavigator
Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic