Search found 76 matches

Return

Re: Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

i made LE presets to do some quick MIDI humanising fixes, like vary the notes' relative volume a very tiny bit, vary their start point a tiny bit, accent their downbeat (or offbeat) velocity, and then iterative quantize the lot a little to bring it back 'into shape' if you will.
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

this one isn't too known i guess: to replace all instances of an audio event in a project (akin to exchanging a sample in a sampler), put your replacement sample in the pool, the drag it from the pool whist holding shift, and drop it onto the event to be replaced.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "POLL" Pay for 7.5 on the way for christmas

i'd donate a sizable sum if they scrapped the mixer and pretend it never existed.
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Enhanced modulation drawing tools

I'd like to see LFO/Envelope "modules" (other shapes would be great too) that can be applied to automation parameters. Meaning, instead of actually drawing, it would simply send automation data based on how I configured my LFO. Drawing is fine, but it does create (at least how it currently works) a fair amount of overhead/management. It would be nice if some of this type of data would be generated and sent on the fly.

yeah it would. i use this in my template as a cheap sort of bank of shapes to copy & paste from.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

Surprised nobody's bringing up the hiding of channels in the arrange, that's the number one workflow feature for me, and much requested. Also if youre scoring, bridging the gap between instrument tracks and the instrument rack is great.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

cubase ninja - pro tools-style trim automation macro

ok, here's another one, it's a combo of a macro and a PLE script. it does pro tools style automation trim, without having to resort to 'trim' or 'loop' functions on the automation panel.

(what it does is, you select a range, it creates automation events on the edges of the selection, then jumps a frame to the left of the left edge and creates a point, and a frame to the right of the right edge, then selects the inner left and right points and switches back to the the select tool, so you are ready to go and scale / trim your selection, without affecting the rest of your automation curve. pretty cool, for my needs anyways.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjjt6w2yebw717l/brooklyn_automation_trick_custom_macro.mp4
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Key Editor > Mocked-up Enhancements for Film Scoring (pi

This is brilliant.
I believe, you're the first one who suggested the SCUB feature, other than myself. This is the key missing tool in Cubase. I've requested this many times but no one has every seemed interested. My guess is once someone actually scubs midi to re-voice, build harmonies, whatever, will wonder how they every managed without it.

i think a lot of people want this, but it's probably never been so well-presented like now, so maybe this will kickstart something. ;)
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Quick controls - Controlling multiple parameters at once

yeah, this would be great.

i can achieve it but it's kind of a pain to set up. remember that with quick controls, you can control parameters of any plugin, not just the ones inserted on the respective channel. this way, you can add a channel at the top of the arrange (you musn't move it then), and select it to quick control which ever plugin parameter in the project. then, set up a generic remote to control this channel's quick control slots 1-8 (yes, a generic remote's target can be a channel's quick control slider amount). then, set up a proprietary virtual MIDI channel (midiyoke, loopmidi et al), and set up midi channels to receive your MIDI controller's knob movement messages by one of the virtual MIDI ports. then go back to your newly created generic remote settings and select the virtual MIDI channel as the input for controlling the quick control slot amounts as mentioned above.

phew...

but yeah, this is a way to do it.

similarly, i can insert an audio > midi cc plugin, and have, say, a kick drum's audio envelope control (for instance) the wet slider inside a reverb plugin on another channel, as well as (for example) the feedback slider on a delay plugin on yet another channel. the drawback is, this only has a 128-step resolution (the resolution of a midi cc parameter*), and is hugely dependent on the current audio buffer size (at least on my system; the greater the buffer size, the more quantized and jittery the results are; plus, the resulting automation envelope differs slightly each time you try to capture it).

* or are there some parameters with a greater resolution, along with an audio > midi cc plugin that would convert the values?
by lukasbrooklyn
Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The listen keycommand only works when a mixer has focus. Here is how you can instantly toggle Listen on a selected track in the arrange while never having to bring up the mixer (this assumes one uses the control room):

set up a two command macro that first toggles the control room, and then toggles listen, and assign a kc to it. By toggling control room, the listen command at once becomes available, without the need to toggle the actual mixconsole, which the less you see of, indeed the better (also it is considerably faster).
by lukasbrooklyn
Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: open up vst instruments from channel in mix console

1/ if you left click & hold the 'e' in the mixer for a second or so, the respective instrument comes up

2/ you can set up a keycommand to do this instantly, under edit > edit vst instrument
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[R-11998] c7.5 control room reverts to default state

however i set up the panels in control room, whenever i bring it up (using a keycommand), it defaults to its (useless) default state. (ie. if i set it up to display the inserts, it then takes another one to two clicks + mousing to get it back where it was.)

is this by design?

can you redesign?

or is this just the latest 'update'?
by lukasbrooklyn
Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@ Paul, thanks for this thread !

@ everybody - great stuff !

Record VSTi instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export ...
@ JM Cecil - this one's big !
Nothing's gonna stop you from recording audio tracks or groups that way either afaics ... :geek:
Or use it "on the fly" as starting point to create reverse vocals, reverse FX or other cool stuff for a few bars, with free choice or mix of sources :o - my projects will have one track more in the future !

impressed,
Rhino

i always keep this record track up and in a split arrange mode. that way it's always visible and always ready to quickly capture whatever needs to be realtime-bounced-in-place. also good for recording realtime noodling on synths then choosing the good bits and so on.
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

well not workflow but a useful KC (for me at least :) )
open all insert GUI on channel... shift+alt+left click on E button of a channel. to close all of them shift+left click on E again

Wow, how long has this one been hidden from the general public?
Haven't been able to do this since Nu2 and I've missed it badly.
Has this been there all along?
Let's hear it for Steinberg's documentation!

Thank you so much for this one!
I have brought this up before but no one ever had an answer.
I thought they did away with it.

it's been this way as far as i can remember. i habitually try all different modifiers on various controls, it's usually faster then reading the manual which is lacking sometimes.

the issue is, there's no KC assignable to opening the GUIs of all the inserts on a channel. (there are, however, individual generic remote commands to open insert #1, insert #2, and so forth.)

there is, however, a KC to 'close all' plugin GUIs that are currently opened on the screen, at once. pretty handy. (ie. the same as going shift+left mouse click on any 'e' button in the arrange. found under "mixer > windows: close all plugins".)
by lukasbrooklyn
Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There's a cool thing I discovered. there are some tool modifiers that are not assigned to any Key and one of them is really useful (for me). In preference, under tool modifiers, range tool, you'll find "Select Full Vertical" ... what that does is that if you resise multiple midi notes or audio events with that comand, (let say you're resising the end of multiple files) it won't keep their end positions but all the event ends will align. So let say you recorded a vocal part multiple times and they are all stack but some are longer, select them all, resise the begining and the end with that command and they'll all be the same lenght. Same for midi :D

what you're in fact describing is the "size objects>common position" modifier. ("select full vertical" is handy for moving around chunks of the whole arrange.)
by lukasbrooklyn
Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For me, some of the best tips are keyboard shortcut or modifier keys and are not really hidden but I'll post them anyways:

-Hold shift + Ctrl, left click and drag up or down on midi event(s) to change their velocities
-Hold Ctrl while resising an event (when snap to grid is enabled) to bypass the snap to grid and resise freely (same thing for moving an event)
-This is simple but a lot of people don't know about this, use Grid Relative in the snap to grid panel if you want to move events but keep their starting position.
-when using the Range selection tool, hold Ctrl + Shift to select all tracks
-there's a command called select cursor to end, so if you assign this to a keyboard shortcut and also assign one to split at cursor, you can easily split all files and the select all on the right side of the split to move them
-if you want to delete a section but you want all event after to move where the deleted section is while keeping everything on the grid use the range selection tool while snap to grid is enabled, use the ctrl + shift modifier I talked about to select the part you want to delete (let's say you delete 2 bars), then go to the snap type in the snap to grid panel and change it to shuffle, then press delete. the 2 bars are gone and all event after moved to the left automatically. Don't forget to change the snap type again after tho ;)
-Variaudio shortcuts: press tab to switch between segment and pitch modes, hold ctrl while moving a note to put it perfectly on the pitch, hold shift while moving a note to move it freely
-In mixconsole, alt double click on sends to make the send plugin show up
-Add a Key command to Find track/Channel (in my case it's F) so when I press F I can start typing the name of a track and it will select it ... this is really usefull to find tracks easily in big sessions

I could go on like this but I don't want to clutter the forum ;) I hope this will help some of you

i will add to these all these are re-configurable via preferences>editing>tool modifiers, so if any of these don't work at a studio, they may have been configured differently. also, there are some modifier-controlled functions that are not by default assigned to any keyboard keys, so it's worth getting to know what can be done.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

some people have been wanting a 'lock locators' feature. it would be handy, but you can sort of overcome that by creating a set of proprietary macros+PLE scripts. you need a marker track, and have a script create a cycle marker around the current locators position. then have a PLE script rename that cycle marker a dummy string. then you are free to move your locators wherever you wanted. when you want to revert your locators to the saved position, you have a PLE macro select the marker object in your arrange whose name is precisely that dummy string you had created in the first step, set locators around it, and delete the dummy marker. don't have time to write out the scripts+macros atm but this is the principle.
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Need more overview in your PlugIns? Here is what I found out about:

Cubase PlugIn sorting

I don't know why Steinberg makes such a magic about PlugIn-sorting (Maybe they want to create reasons to sell it in Cubase 8?). It is easy to manage yet in Cubase 7 /7.5! So this one goes for VST2 Plugins...

1. Create in your VstPlugins Directory Subdirectories like:
\Reverb
\Distortion
\Filter

2. Any VST2 PlugIn you install directly in those subdirectories will be sorted correctly!

That means:

Install for example "Audio Damage Kombinat" into the directory C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Distortion
and it will be correctly sortet near by the Steinberg Distortion Plugins!

If you create a further subdirectory like ..\Vstplugins\Distortion\AudioDamage you have all Distortion Plugins from Audio Damage in one folder, right under the Distortion Group

Nice? ;-)
Not nice enough, this needs to be enabled for vst3 as well (withou the need to hex-edit the file itself). Also most welcome would be creating custom arbitrary groups of favourite plugins etc.
by lukasbrooklyn
Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Carlo wrote:Video Scrubbing

Very nice for film-scoring if you play back a movie on a computer screen: Click directly in the Video Player window and drag the mouse left or right...
_

that's a great one, very helpful, thank you!
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"floating" inspector bar, PT style ;)

make it allways on top and will automaticaly scroll during selecting track

http://www.gifti.me/i/b9qAm.jpg
I see you have used the third Mix Console.
Can you save this as a mixer configuration? Or a workspace? (I will try my self when at my DAW).

Nice tip.

simple mixer configuration

btw. does it update automatically then, following the selected track(s) in the arrange without having to use an extra keycommand? still quite new to the new mixer. so far i can only update the console to the currently selected track in the arrange manually, using a keycommand.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: All insert slots should be post fader (there is youtube

Hi,

I have a basic problem.
I couldn't find this in manual, youtube or forum etc...

My problem is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJvj2YiRlcc

Thank you :)

if you want a pre-1st-insert gain, use the 'pre' section. if you need gain staging between the inserts, use a free gain plugin, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yxNM7gOIU4&noredirect=1
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Complete Cubase with these...

i couldn't read if the OP's post was ironic, but aparently not. just goes to show how everyone's requests are so wildly different. i for one would be happy if steinberg abandoned everything but full versions of cubase and nuendo core applications. why compete with more competent companies, and why not focus on what you (could) do best. obviously you wouldn't agree.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

Here we go again :lol:

Working on 7.5.20 for last week. Seems stable so far. But I'm doing more work in Reaper these days, cuz I'm tired of Cubase ugly and buggy mixer.

Steinberg! Hire a good UI designer! Your software costs a lot of money, you can afford it :mrgreen:

this. apparently the whole mixconsole gui is done by one person.

in hybernation since 1995, i may add.
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

with regard to mixconsole, one of my main gripes in everyday work is (and i am surprised it hasn't been mentioned here)-- is how often i get a 'open preset' dialog instead of a plugin's GUI when trying to open up an insert with a left click (or is there some trick to avoid this happening?) the amount of time wasted this way is ridicilous.

as far as mutes/solos are concerned, there is a new bug, i may report it in a separate thread. it concerns ctrl+left-click-ing the 'solo' button on a muted track. normally, this would mute the remaining tracks and solo the target track. this is now broken (in a certain context, will explain in separate thread).
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

...Hitpoints work as expected... Audiowarp works as expected... My color scheme looks insane... My mixer does not open wide no more(f3)... No more pop/crackle ASIO crap... and yet, more still to discover. Just my impression at the moment.

So basically, what we paid for over 1 year ago is now usable! Yay to that :)

no forgetting the paid downgrades. you also paid for the engineers to go into the code and disable edit mode for scoring to picture in cubase.
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BriHar wrote: trust however that this will become a mute point once they properly redo the windowing system architecture (originally planned for 7 but now I believe scheduled for 8) so I don't anticipate anything before the next major version.

what is the source of this bit of info btw?
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

possibly unimportant to most, i am glad the new update fixes the "show channels connected to the first selected channel" command. this previously only displayed channels routed to and from a selected channel, but omitted any busses routed to via sends.

i am still waiting for 'channel zapping' using control+click to be restored. :/
by lukasbrooklyn
Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bring back 'channel zap' function

do it. don't hate us.
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

IMO , MixDebacle is geared towards 4K.

Plain and simple.

It clearly shows in the proportions, the space occupied by controls, etc.

The things is : its WAY too soon.

So all you trolls, if you don't like it though luck
Thank you, Dear.

I'm here since VST5/SX1 days (under different Alias). what about you ?...

One of the biggest complaints on this topics is the mixer. It looks a lot like Logic, Protools and somewhat like S1
No, it doesn't.

But hey, I'm troll anyway :twisted:

:)

i don't know if it is (surely it must have been conceived before 4k?); whatever the case, it's definitely not ergonomical on my 2,560 x 1,440-pixel native resolution. the thing is, i need to be able to read the inserts. and to be able to do that, the channels need to be extended horizontally so much so that they eat up too much screen real estate, and not many chan's fit in the mixer that way. someone just didn't put enough thought into it.

that's just one ill-executed implementation, of dozens. wish i got a cent for every 'load preset' dialog that loaded when i wanted to bring up a plugin's gui instead.
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

btw. 7.5.2 is still doing this. i get it, you have a wicked sense of humour and the channel looks real macho this way, but maybe let go now and make cubase usable instead.
by lukasbrooklyn
Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: cubase 8

I used Google translate. maybe some wrong Word here and there. but I think it is readable and I do believe most will understand what I mean. you're not suppused to have the pultzier price when you make suggestions on steinberg ? and since you responded I recon you found it Worth Reading ??

i like 'black ladies voice', too!
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stop adding exporting audio to the bottom of an arrangem

definitely +1. it has been brought up time & time again though to no result.
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NO key command for "add group channel to selected tracks

C.LYDE101 wrote:... because it's not something one would consider worth repeating every few minutes. .doh

Each person has their own workflow, gotta respect you know? :)
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone using lil 'Auratone' boxes?

Im using avantones actives as a 3rd pair. Mostly just a last-instance reality check before sending stuff off. Kind of expensive considering I may find a decent pc speaker to do the job.

Oh and they are definitely being sold in single speaker units.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multiple macro parameter

Not possible natively. You can use vst chainers for that, like vstforx or similar.

Quickcontrols are a far cry from this.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RAM usage with Cubase 7.5.20

:-) FWIW
audio is being processed based on the pool not on the harddrive.
The pool is a RAM copy of harddrive locations.

kind regards,
R.

no.

(this would mean, for instance, that until recently, before applications went x64, any larger project, say a post for a movie, would not be feasible as you would be constantly running against the 3GB-per-app limit..)
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to create automation track for pitch bend

Look in the operation manual p.299 "Midi Controller Automation". That should get it.
Actually, it's nice to know it can be done... bookmarked for future reference.

yeah, but it's not possible for the pitchbend parameter, only for CC's (ie. it's not available for only the most common and useful parameter...).

you can write a transformer (midi plugin) patch that will convert and arbitrary MIDI CC # into pitchbend data in realtime, and then write project automation lane for that selected CC, but it's not working great especially when looping a section (it doesn't 'chase' so you need to input extra automation events everywhere so the correct data is always being sent out to the VSTi you're controlling).

see http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=45254
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do I get the cursor to stay where I stop it?

i got two separate KC's, one for stop&return, the other for just stop and stay put.

the preferences are set to not return to start position on playback, and the keycommand to stop&return triggers a macro that has these (3) commands in it:

preferences - transport - return to start position on top
transport - stop
preferences - transport - return to start position on top (*to toggle the behaviour back to the initial setting)

Why two KC's for that? Here, if "Prefs - Transport - Return to Start Position on Stop" is active then it does what it says, if not then the cursor stays where I hit "Stop". Is there an alternate functionality you are getting out of the macro that I'm missing? john.

just an example...

the added functionality is that i have two discreet keys set up to do these two different things with. let's say i'm auditioning a piece of music and spot a mistake, i'll use the respective keycommand to stop and not return; then zoom in and work on the arrange from there. if i'm sound-designing for instance, i'll usually want to always start auditioning from the same spot. then i'll be using the other key. (i could use markers to some extent for this, but this is faster...)
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save track preset WITH group/bus settings?

file > export > selected tracks (make sure you have your desired group & fx tracks selected when doing the save).

then file > import > track archive
by lukasbrooklyn
Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Event Replacement

Are there any default settings to be made somewhere. Neither in the manual nor in the keycommand section this function is described .

i just noticed in the 1st reply the procedure hadn't been described accurately, maybe that's why. first drag your new file out of the pool without holding any modifiers. only when you have dragged the file into the arrange (and while still holding down the left mouse button) do you add the shift modifier, and finally release the LMB on the target event.
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: get rid of very small midi notes artefacts (w/Screenshot

Bertisevil66 wrote:the problem is there are no presets in my logical editor. I mean when I click the small triangle, nothing happen.
I use 7.0.5. never had the problem before

i'd take it from here: midi > functions > delete notes, and play with the settings.
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Feature Request: Simple Sampler

something like this has always been a missing functionality of cubase. it should be implemented into the DAW at a very low level, so playing back samples can be almost instantaneous, ie. skipping the 'add instrument track' step, the searching for the appropriate instrument etc. something along the lines of clicking audio event(s) and selecting 'create a sampler track with selected sample(s)'. GA SE as far as i'm concerned is completely lacking (for this purpose), because it does not allow to easily play back samples chromatically. at least in battery (which is a comparable product), you can quickly set a keyrange and activate keytracking for a single pad, and then 'play' the sample... i for one am not likely to get halion because no relevant libraries are being released for it, anything i'd use for scoring is kontakt format.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: linking automation points

if more than one automation lane is selected (lasso'ed around), and you get the automation 'boxes' with handles on the edges, you can use modifier keys (can't remember which exactly) to alter all the selected automation events [on all tracks] at once.

I have looked for this kind of function before and haven't been able to find it. If you could find out how to do this for us it would be great!

Dean

see the vid. the modifiers i used were ctrl+shift for absolute volume gain shift, and ctrl+alt+shift for the fade-in and fade-out. (i haven't figured out a way to write the same events at once with the draw [pencil] tool to both. i don't reckon that's possible at the moment and i'd consider that quite a drawback. please correct me if this is easily possible. currently if i gang all that's possible, writing common automation data still isn't covered.)
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tips on setting channel defaults

Hey gang,

I'd like to speed up my workflow a little bit and have been wondering about an elegant solution to either of the following (both aiming at essentially at the same thing, just different approaches to the same problem):

a) Is there a way to save a default channel preset that is called up every time I create a new track? Eg. have my favorite EQ with my favorite blank preset loaded on slot 1, slot 2 fave compressor and so forth with quick controls already mapped out for me as I like?

b) If the answer to a) is negative then I'm wondering if there is some Macro trickery that would allow me to 'create new track from track preset _name xxx' in one press of a button? I'd just create a blank preset I like and call that up each time I need a new track. [the way it is now takes just a few clicks too much to be really fast, ie create new track from track preset then scroll through library of presets to find the right one - I'd like to eliminate all the clicks cause I know which preset i'll be using]

I've searched for an answer to this but have yet come up with a useful answer.

Thanks in advance.

hey man :) i don't reckon there's a single-button solution, but what i do is i will name my presets so they come up as first when creating a new track. ie. when you create an audio track (which in itself can be bound to a keycommand), and you are using the 'browse presets', then if say you name all your presets starting with a '!" character, they will end up being at the top.
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Smooth/Smart Automation

what advanced bezier, clip-based automation can/should look like in this day & age btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxfXB9lCvtk#t=284
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase Runs Worse on More Powerful PC

So I sort of found a workaround. Forgot to mention that I was getting an error on starting up Cubase: "The currently installed soundcard driver does not support direct sound input. Recording audio is not possible."

Googled this error message and found recommendations for an alternate ASIO driver called ASIO4ALL. Installed it, and my larger projects seem to be running smothly now. There's a minor hiccup where, if I have Cubase open using this driver, audio doesn't play from any other application (Windows Media Player, Firefox, etc.), but it's not too big of a deal.

Still, any idea why the ASIO Full Duplex Driver is suddenly shot? I remember using it on an even older (and much less powerful) PC, and I never really ran into issues with it until now.

what interface are you using? i don't reckon you should be opting for the 'full duplex' driver. at least with my RME that is not the correct choice ('asio hammerfall dsp' is the correct one, but that pertains to my RME card). are you sure you've got the (correct) drivers installed? asio4all is a sort of a cheap workaround for nonprofessional interfaces.
by lukasbrooklyn
Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase Runs Worse on More Powerful PC

Ya think I need to update the motherboard's audio drivers or something? Tried looking up driver updates for my MB (Asus Z97 Mark 1) but didn't really find much.

As for an audio interface, I'm not actually using one at the moment; just going through the headphone out on the top of the computer (hence why I was opting for the Full Duplex driver). I own a Lexicon Omega but it's overly clunky for my needs, and I mostly do composition with virtual instruments anyway. If I get an audio interface in the future, it's gotta have a few less inputs and much higher quality preamps, but for now the ASIO4ALL driver does what I need it to (even if it has minor annoyances).

i see, well there would be the answer as to why it may seem underperforming -- it's because of the built-in interface. (maybe the built in interfaces on apples are better so people expect the same from PC motherboards?).
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

bump. just worked on an old nuendo daw in a studio and remembered again how great this feature was.
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

major time saver, bump for all the workflow minded users :)
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Locate When Clicked In Empty Space fails when...

the workflow for this could be improved. i was a bit frustated with the locating situation i made an external macro that enables me to instantly locate to whereever my mouse is, regardless if it's on top of an event, in an 'empty space' or someplace else. way too great a workaround though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk#t=08m59s
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Antsy for Eight - Feelings, Warm Fuzzies and Fears

Wow.

So much so, that I'm about to purchase a backup motherboard of the exact same brand and model (so that Windows doesn't have to be reinstalled due to a different motherboard replacement, should this one fail).

btw. this is not needed-- i'm into my second motherboard (different chipset), different CPU, different GFX card, but the same windows 7 (that have been working flawlessly). there's a windows feature called sysprep that uninstalls all chipset-related drivers prior to switching up hardware. it's taken me about five minutes to move the system SSD into a new DAW, have it detect the new mobo and CPU and GPU and be up and running. (note: not raid-compatible.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html
by lukasbrooklyn
Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CMC - discontinued and IC PRO no update !?

CUBASE is more and more advanced and there is no serious controller - and controller suport with more intergration and new options - I like to know can we expect something serious or we have to look at other no Steinberg solutions !??
Thank you !

i don't think it's happening, there is currently zero affinity to a potential cubase controller given the track record of the CMC. who would invest in something that's likely dropped from support in a year?
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8 - what is your impression ?

I find Render in place to be very slow. Slower than the audio mixdown dialog option, or freezing the track.

it's all the computing power required to drag the rendered audio track right below the original part as opposed to letting it sink with the forces of gravity to the bottom of the arrange, like with the standard export audio. common sense. and german engineering.
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: aero look like xp

well.. if you turn aero on, start cubase, then turn it off.. it will work, at least in the rudimentary way of 'work', i don't have time to really explore now. if it really is an arbitrary requirement then maybe someone can write a startup hack so it thinks it is on.
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is the difference between Group and FX tracks?

Yes, I do not use fx tracks, I see them more as a relict of the past. Previously it was not possible to further re-route FX tracks.. Now they are practically superfluous.
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8 - what is your impression ?

islandmusicpro wrote:I was trying to joke... the point being that German engineering usually does well enough. Peace?

i too was joking obviously.
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

the w7 Aero hacks thread

aero for obvious reasons is a pita for serious work.

i am still hoping there are ways to customize it to make it look a bit more acceptable for pro work (from simple setup tweaks to more low-level registry-editing type of tweaks).

please post your tips here...
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: the w7 Aero hacks thread

Great thread! Hopefully we'll get some nice tips for aero, because aero sucks big time. I turned off transparency for aero which improved the ability to view cubase menus. But still the border of the plugin windows are unecessary thick, it's really ugly.

you can adjust the border thickness in the window colour & appearance settings:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/h9l8c.jpg

it still won't get rid of the awful glowing fonts on the top of the windows.
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8 error win7x64 "opening error" "aero theme" etc.

I have also some issues with Cubase 8 Pro and Aero. In Cubase some fonts look "pixled" and the transport bar is sometimes split into pieces, on part moving outside the track window, kind of "funny".

I have a rather old VGA card, AMD Radeon 2600 Pro, 512 MB RAM, which is anyway not rated to be capable for Aero by Windows....

I noticed that too. Sometimes I have two transport bars running at different speeds.

Can one of you please post a screen-capture of this issue?
[Edit: GPU model and driver revision could help in finding the reason, which one are you using, lukasbrooklyn?]

Thanks in advance.

ok i will.
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[BON-7075] inspector - toggle standard section not working

On any given audio, group, fx track..

the keycommand for Inspector>Toggle standard section..

is not working (nothing happens).

(Inspector > Toggle Sends; Inspector > Toggle Quick Controls etc. remained unbroken - thank you.)

edit: easy reproduction:

--open a new empty project.
--open up the keycommands list. look up inspector > toggle standard section
--assign it a keycommand
--add an audio track
--perform the keycommand
result: nothing happens
by lukasbrooklyn
Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Status Line keep re-appearing when unchecked

No matter if I save a song project or just a template, the Status Line keeps coming back. As a matter of fact, the Status Line just re-appeared when I was working on a project!

Could anyone confirm:

1. Go to Set Up Window Layout
2. Uncheck Status Line box
3. Save your song project or save a template
4. Close Cubase8
5. Reopen Cubase
6. Choose a template or song project.

The Status Line is back! Would anyone please confirm?

make sure in your connections (F4) there aren't any pending i/o's to be made. if, for instance, you have set up an input stereo bus, but have not connected it to any i/o's on your interface, the status line will come back as soon as you switch windows / workspaces. it is one of the more annoying things.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: the ability to open plugins in sends, like in Cubase 6

Manna-Croup wrote:Tried alt-clicking, ctrl+clicking. Not Working. Not in "Edit Channel Settings" not in "Inspector"
Can't explore plugin, witch in send.

works here.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: the ability to open plugins in sends, like in Cubase 6

Hello.
Please return the ability to open plugins in sends, like in Cubase 6
THX.

Shot Video:
http://www.screencast.com/users/Manna-Croup/folders/Default/media/d2602444-d189-45b4-94ec-96b69b352c66

it does that with alt-clicking.

what is still missing is the ability to jump to the target channel by ctrl+clicking on the send section. it will jump there is the 1st insert slot in the target channel is unoccupied i think.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VERY important question before buying it

i posted a reproduction of the bug to the issues section, which is now pending approval. meantime you can view a video showing the issue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmCtljD ... e=youtu.be
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [confirmed] inspector - toggle standard section not work

Could you guys try the solution others suggested in this post of mine and get back with whether this is the 'answer', ie is it that you do not have Arrange Window as 'focus' ?

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=70073&p=405296#p405296

ok, i checked the thread; and no, this is not the answer. the keycommand does not appear to be working whichever window has focus.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[ISSUE]cubase pro 8 audio warp waveform drawing issue

some effort has been made to improve the warping-related bugs. however not everything has been ironed out, and here's a reproduction of how the waveform after warping is not accurately representing the actual sound a warped event produces.

this is best shown on a video i believe, so i made one, but am attaching a written reproduction as that seems like a requirement...

the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmCtljDFR7k

--open a new blank project
--add an audio track
--import a random short audio wave file
--enter the sample editor a perform some arbitrary freewarp edits
--perform a render-in-place on the edited event
--unmute the original event, play both files at the same time, and polarity-reverse one of them. the result is silence, they null!
--however-- look closely at the two waveforms. the actual (=the rendered) waveform is not identical to the waveform prior to rendering-in-place.

--result: it is impossible to precisely warp events using visual cues because the waveform is not indicative of what is actually being sent to the speakers. what-you-see-is-not-what-you-get.

win 7 x64
cubase pro 8 x86
by lukasbrooklyn
Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BRILLIANT IDEAS for workflow!! devs take note

I was secretly hoping some of this (as in ideas) would make it into C8. None of it has, neither have any of the bugs I reported and got filed. Maybe I should think of selling this menu thingy instead. :/
by lukasbrooklyn
Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elastique audiowarp bounces/renders still out of place

In the meantime, would a work-around be to:

1) Route the bounced/rendered version to a group,
2) Record the output of that group, and,
3) Replace the bounced/rendered/but visually inaccurate version with that recorded group output?

The sound would be exactly what is desired*, so wouldn't the graphical representation, having been "cleansed" by re-recording through the group, be visually accurate also?

* [since a) the user had determined it was ready to be bounced in the first place, and b) it nulls completely as described in another thread]

(Maybe even the new CP8 "Render In Place" function could be used instead of having to go through a group ... Key Command and all ... ?)

yes but i wouldn't go as far as even calling it a workaround because the whole point of manual warping is that it can be done on the fly, not by making an edit, recording that edit, seeing if it's ok, then adjusting the edit, then bouncing again to see if the adjustment was correct etc.
by lukasbrooklyn
Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BRILLIANT IDEAS for workflow!! devs take note

Cool !!! :)

If we could do something like "Channel Name = (BASS)+Channel Name" that would do one of the tricks in the video without any external program. Actually that would mean having a script engine in Cubase, which would be fantastic!! :)

you can, that's what i'm doing there-- the radial menu is firing off a midi note via a virtual midi port that cubase reacts to (via generic remote), and runs a PLE script. in there, you can 'prepend' (sic) strings to channel names.
by lukasbrooklyn
Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Side-chain Input for ALL processors

instead, i'd suggest making any vst parameter automatable using an envelope extracted from any audio signal, like FL studio allows for example (so you can get really creative... eg. take the snare envelope and link it, using an inverse exponential curve, to a reverb 'wet' parameter... pure sidechain is getting a little obsolete.)
by lukasbrooklyn
Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 sounds better than 8 here at first sight

I have just loaded a Cubase 7 project straight into 8. I made quick 32 bit float bounces in 7 and 8. Sorry, but on first sight the new audio engine does not sound as good a the old one. I had worries because I did read about the performance increase in 8. I have not made any comparisions with different ASIO guard settings etc. I have just uploaded the bounces to the mastering studio I work for and the senior mastering engineer will check it later tonight. As i said: This is the result of a quick test. I have not checked if the sound difference is due to the audio engine or a new (?) channel EQ algorithm (new low cuts in 8). I need to look further into this. Any other opinions?

i also noticed a difference but never tried nulling yet. i also use a bit of HW and incidentally a lavry converter as well. though the converter doesn't mean much in this case.

a couple of things i'd consider...
it's a known issue plugin automation behaves differently at different bufferlengths. this is very audible when abrupt automation curves are used -- the automation is lazier the higher the bufferlength. i believe this is more of an issue with vst2x plugins compared to vst3. with the new asioguard, you may not be getting the same speed / resolution of your automation.

regarding hw: i keep having issues with setting the correct ping delay of my hardware units. i'd make sure to re-ping your processors. to me, your issue sounds a lot like your HW may be incorrectly compensated for, hence creating some undesirable phase shifts that may smear the sound.

and lastly, i'd really try running the test without hardware inserts alogether as well, because otherwise you're asking for 1:1 repeatability from hardware...
by lukasbrooklyn
Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8 transparent background

I mean on plane background when there is no open project. At first it was dark blue and everything was ok, but then i changed colors of interface in preferences, and after cubase restart, there was only menu bar at the top. After few days I change it to default colors but background didn't came back. Here is screen shot with project opened.

http://prntscr.com/5iwwmr

It's not a big deal, but still it's a bug :)

cheers !

Double click to get it back.
by lukasbrooklyn
Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic