Search found 8 matches

Return

Re: Nuendo Video Playback Colour

A solution might be the gamma, or black level settings on your video card. If you have an Nvidia card, there is a menu called "video colour settings" inside Nvidia control panel where you can set a gamma limitation defined as "dynamic range"
by are_luke
Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo Video Playback Colour

I asked about this a while ago. It was stated here that the new video engine ignores Gamma settings in Quicktimes to conserve cpu. So what you are seeing is a gamma shift. Oddly enough, Nuendo on the mac seems to display the video properly (though I haven't tested thoroughly). On Windows it does not. Lately I've been using Quicktimes with the Avid codecs to get around this and they work as expected. You can download the codecs for free from the Avid site.

Best,
Martin Trum
by manichouse
Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best sample rate conversion for 48 --> 88.2?

Hey guys, I'm doing a project that's at 88.2k, and the vocals that were sent to me are 48k (both are 24 bit). What would you recommend as the best way to assure the best possible quality conversion? Use Nuendo to convert the actual files in the Pool? Or another way? I've done 88.2 -- 44.1 and vice-versa before, but am wondering if there are different considerations since 88.2 and 48 are not multiples of each other. Thanks!

The conversions can be done in whole numbers - it just takes 2 processes instead of one is all (details below).
How to approach depends on the projects & assets - if the whole project is at 48 and there are 88.2 assets to import, I would first back up project to a new folder, then swap sample rates & convert when asked - going up, we are padding existing files with zeroes so no harm, no foul. Incidentally we did this for fun last year after completing a 5.1 album mix supplied at 24/48. We created new copies of each project by backup to new folder, and then reset SR to 96KHz and allowed Nuendo to SRC up and simply re-ran the exports using exactly the same plugins, automation & mix - identical except we upsampled this one. We all heard a definite difference in the results very similar to the difference between 15IPS tape & 30IPS tape but not quite the same. The 48K versions had a slightly fatter & warmer low end whereas the 96K had better detail and superior imaging across the soundfield. This was unexpected - we thought we would hear a difference, but for it to be so pronounced was very interesting (although it must be said the mix was from stems (8 to 16 per track) that had been heavily processed (which is why we used them so as to keep the same sound as the stereo mix) before we got to them so we used very little in the way of effects apart from a few reverbs/delays and some sculpting/shaping EQ. But I digress.....

As posted above, R8Brain is superb and it's big brother is even better.
Both only use whole numbers to convert by means of the GCD (Greatest Common Denominator) as follows:
48000/300 = 160
88200/300 = 294
48000*294 = 14112000/160 = 88200
(The denominators always created by dividing the sample rates by 300. This gives you the factors needed for the conversion. Then take the first value & multiply by the second denominator and divide the result by the first one.
I think most of the decent SRC work this way these days but this website http://src.infinitewave.ca/ is always revealing, I find - I wonder if the built-in SRC have got any better since v6/7 releases?)

Hope this helps
by neilwilkes
Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo 6.5?

Hello,

according to the release plan, Nuendo 6.5 will still be released in Q2 (end of Q2).
We are currently running final quality checks. More information on Nuendo 6.5 will
be available end of this week.

Thanks,
Timo
by TimoWildenhain
Tue May 20, 2014 8:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nuendo 6.5 announced

Dear forum members,

Steinberg has announced Nuendo 6.5, the upcoming new version of Nuendo, expected to be released in Q3 2014. Nuendo 6.5 introduces new features in various areas such as mixing, import/export, ADR and workflow improvements. Among the new features in Nuendo 6.5 are:

- Loudness Processing including true peak limiting
- Loudness Track peak indication
- metering output for using external hardware meters (main)
- Reworked AAF filter (import/export)
- ADR 2.0 Taker with Free Recording Mode for Voice and Foley recording, Auto-naming, pre-record, 2nd swipe
- BassManager for monitoring of low freqencies including routing capabilities
- TrackVersions for managing several versions of the same track
- Track visibility management within the Nuendo Project window
- Redesigned Control Room for better visibility and faster parameter access
- REVelation reverb and Magneto 2 tape saturation
- Steinberg HUB with quick folder access to the 4 most often used projects

Next to the new features, more than 80 issues have been resolved compared to Nuendo 6.0.7 (a detailled list will be available soon). Nuendo is still in the testing phase in order to guarantee best stability.

Alongside the release of Nuendo 6.5, Yamaha will provide a new version of the Nuage toolset,
with improved access to the latest Nuendo features.

Please visit the Steinberg Nuendo 6.5 product page for more information on the new features: Nuendo 6.5 product pages

Thanks,
Timo
by TimoWildenhain
Mon May 26, 2014 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: autotune 7 crashing cubase

update:

after talking to a few people and doing some more testing, this seems to be a memory issue due to auto tune being badly coded from the 32 to 64 bit update. the plugin is basically still acting like an x86 plugin so crashes when the 32bit ram celling is reached.

after further testing reaper also exhibited the same issue as does studio 1.

I'm going to get on the case with Antares as it's their problem.

cheers

marcus
by Norbury Brook
Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When can we expect to see N6.5?

Hello,

Nuendo 6.5 will be available in July.

Thanks,
Timo
by TimoWildenhain
Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Color palette

Based on the http://www.google.com/design/spec/style/color.html#color-ui-color-palette here they are reproduced for Nuendo.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16qJq0R0LGcEnNu_S7jOcXaZEl5Yaj-MSGkO4ozszHWE/edit?usp=sharing

IMPORTANT: Please backup your preferences directory just in case.

To use:

- Open an editor like Notepad++ and copy/paste the colors you want from the spreadsheet into this new document.
Note: When copying from Sheets there will be extra "" added due to the carriage returns in formatting so we need to "clean" this copy/paste.
- Do a search and replace for the following:

"<item> replace with <item>
</item>" replace wit h </item>
"" replace with "

- Ensure Nuendo is closed
- Open Defaults.xml which is located in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Nuendo 6_64
- Do a search for a color name you know (e.g. Color 1) and you should find your color section with each color enclosed in <item> tags e.g.

<item>
<string name="Name" value="Color 1" wide="true"/>
<int name="Color" value="4293356362"/>
</item>

- Paste the code between the item tags from your clean Notepad++ color document into your Defaults.xml for the colors you want. You can either append existing colors or delete what's there and add a new color palette of your choosing.
- Launch Nuendo. At this point the program defaults will now have your modified color palette so to use them you will need to choose to "Load Program Defaults to Current Set" from your color palette menu.

Enjoy!
by likelystory
Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic