Search found 51 matches

Return

Re: Sound On Sound says it all: Too Dark

I am by no means a mixing dude or anywhere near being a recording engineer, so these lines are simply an observation.

So it seems a few of things irritate many with the new mixer, two of them are darkness and disorientation. I've seen this discussed in several places now. So I went and searched for pictures real life mixers, and strangely enough there are a large number of dark faced mixers, and not at all bad to look at, I included a few in this post. I also saw many that "pleased" me more than others and some that directly displeased me. I think what pleasing translates to is an immediate understanding of what I saw. What JMCecil talked about above.

So in looking at them all, a few light ones too, but I concentrated on dark ones (for obvious reasons) and it appears to me that one thing is strikingly missing or rather I think it was supposed to be there by clever illusion (more in the bottom part of the mixer, with the sliders). I am talking about a very distinct separation of channels. The ones of most disinterest to me had very weak "lines" of separation between channels, where they were sort of disorienting, and the ones with lines (and I like many dislike a lot of lines in a UI, but) they immediately "registered".

sound_mixer.jpg
16262_resized_sound_300.png
mixer (2).jpg

Instinctively I also went over to PT11 to take a look at its mixer ( click on "Images" ) and I have to say it is by no means any better, at least not to my eyes. Way too busy. However, again, I am not mixing a whole lot, so these are just my personal opinions.
by Elektrobolt
Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sound On Sound says it all: Too Dark

Sorry to say, but
Please don't be sorry, there is absolutely nothing wrong in disagreeing, let's keep a healthy discussion. :)

My comparison of the PT11 mixer was not with C7, but with the mixers I looked at. There is something about them that either of the two soft mixers do not have (yet), but I cannot quite put my finger on it. Channel separation is certainly one issue, though I think the PT11 mixer already is better than C7. So something else...

I am including a current PT11 mixer image here, purely for reference, as well as *the advertised* C7 mixer.
(That way in the future, we can compare with older versions.)

protools11_oview_featuredimage1_Enlarge(mixer).jpg
01_Stellar_mixing_01a_Mix_Console_Meter_zones.png
by Elektrobolt
Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Each lane to have their own insert

Click on the little rectangle with a right pointing arrow, then select "Activate All Outputs".

VSTInstrumentsRackActivateAllOutputs.png
by Elektrobolt
Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Working with 2 track at same time (midi and drum map)

The Drum Editor was made to work with Drum Maps. If you mix mapped and non-mapped, it may have to open one edit window for each map and one for all unmapped tracks.

The Key Editor shows the entire range of MIDI notes. Both mapped and unmapped tracks can be displayed in one edit window, since the limit of maps are the MIDI note range.

In either case, you may have to scroll to see MIDI events from different tracks.
by Elektrobolt
Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it possible to be more then two participants, video-c

I believe in the video (yes that video) they said it uses peer to peer communication, so technically it is perfectly possible. I do not know, of course, if it's possible this time around, but see no apparent reason why it wouldn't be in the future.

What would be really cool, is to have a folder like, that is a peer folder, track that contains one or more audio tracks as shared by a peer (maybe even a video track), that can then be recorded as needed. You could of course be represented similarly on the other end. If you could then instantiate more peers this way, that would pretty cool.
by Elektrobolt
Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stop Charging for .5 Upgrades!

Everything everywhere is heading for a "service" model. A direct link to your credit card. The general thought of course is, if you already have credit card information available at the publisher, you are more likely to purchase. One-click-order... a' la Amazon, Apple store, Microsoft store, etc. It is where business wants to be at the moment. Not where *I* want to be, but my situation is highly irrelevant in regards of business and world economy. Which is kind of ironic, considering I am a perfectly viable consumer.

As someone here mentioned, there is always other ideas elsewhere. I am sticking with Steinberg for the moment, because I've been with them for so long and they do make awesome products. However, the phrase "Vote with your wallet!" comes to mind, more and more, and if Steinberg pursue the service model or even more frequently paid upgrades, constant Internet connectivity, I might re-consider. That is just reality.
by Elektrobolt
Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Computer Problems (Windows 8.1)

After doing the changes in the original post, things are awesome. I thought that maybe others could benefit from that.

Thanks for your replies though, much appreciated! :)
by Elektrobolt
Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New Computer Problems (Windows 8.1)

I just built a new computer (Asus Sabertooth Z87, i7-4770K, Corsair Vengeance Pro, GTX 760, Samsung 840 Pro) and experienced some immediate problems with Cubase 7.5. I heard these crackles periodically, hmmm... so I reverted back to setting from earlier days and that worked. ASIO-Guard is on (i.e. checked).

Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced (tab) > Performance area > "Settings..." :
Visual Effects (tab) > Chose the "Adjust for best performance" option.
Advanced (tab) > Background services.

Control Panel > Power Options > Chose the "High Performance" power plan. Also, in this plan click "Change advanced power settings" :
Desktop background settings > Slide show > Setting: Paused.
USB settings > USB selective suspend setting > Setting: Disabled.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Stop and disable the "Windows Search" service.

I am not sure why this "newest" machine show the symptoms (the MR816csx, CC121 and Midex 8 are connected to it). However, changing the settings above (and no I didn't check after each settings, I just changed them all because I remembered them from various times in the past, so I do not know what caused the crackles, right or wrong) fixed the crackles (which were not too frequent or bad to start with, but annoying enough). I am not sure, but I am pretty sure that the changes also toned down the VST Performance meters, because they appeared to be fairly spastic (from what I am used to).

BTW, this is the first computer, ever, that I built without an Intel motherboard. :)
by Elektrobolt
Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Computer Problems (Windows 8.1)

forthwith wrote:Does your audio device support MMCSS and ASIO 2.2?

If you are asking me, the device I am using on this computer is a Steinberg MR816csx.
by Elektrobolt
Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any RME Fireface UCX users?

Why post here and not the RME forums?

Trying to understand why you ask Q's about software and hardware you don't own or use. The only tune I've ever heard from you was a crap piano piece that sounded like it was done with the MS Wavetable synth. Are you that lonely in life that the only interaction you have is asking all these non-relevant Q's here? I'm guessing yes and no wonder.
A short question, and an entire paragraph of personal insult. Such poor behavior. :oops:
by Elektrobolt
Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Convert Track -> Rack

Maybe I am way off your question here, and if so, I do apologize, soul patch.

Instrument Tracks and MIDI Tracks are not the same thing. Even though they both deal with MIDI, they are fundamentally two different things (hence the two types of tracks). An Instrument Track is tightly coupled with its VSTi whereas the MIDI Track is only loosely coupled and do not know what it is routing to (could be a VSTi in Rack or to a MIDI Port for an external device). This disconnect is probably the reason why it is the MIDI Volume versus the Audio Volume. I think the reasoning is that the Instrument Track is so integrated with audio that MIDI volume is really secondary to audio volume.

Not the answer you were seeking, and maybe I misunderstood your question, but there it is. :)

And oops, Steve beat me too it!!
by Elektrobolt
Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multi-Out Inst Track Presets Issue

Just to see, I tried with HALion 5 and multi-out and it works, I have a preset with one "Master" out and fifteen "Out 2-16" outs. When I create an instance of the track preset, all 16 show up in, order, both in the project window and in the mix console.

If you create another preset (from scratch with a new Instrument Track and multi-out) does it come up the same way as before, or is it seemingly random? I mean, I understand that the OP was "random", but is a second test different from the first test?

When doing this, and since you hijacked the thread on an distant related topic ;), check out the attachment.
(The highlight under the Mute/Solo when hovering there with the mouse. Hidden functionality? LOL)
by Elektrobolt
Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hanging notes

I am not familiar with MOTU interfaces, and have not experienced hanging notes for a long time, but there can be many reasons for this. E.g. poor cables can affect signal quality (both analog and digital can suffer from this).

Does the MIDI > Reset (in the Cubase menu) fix the problem when it the hung notes occur?

Some devices also have problems with MIDI running status .
by Elektrobolt
Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recording Multi Instruments On Several Tracks

How many audio inputs does your audio interface deliver into Cubase? Meaning, how many audio inputs does Cubase report as being available. This would limit how many individual sound sources you could record at any one time.

You refer to a "mixer", which really does seem like an external mixer (separate from the computer) and if you then route a stereo (or two mono) signals into the computer, that is about as "individual" as you can record inside Cubase.

Break it down into a little more details (e.g. your audio interface) and it will be easier for people to help out.
by Elektrobolt
Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recording Multi Instruments On Several Tracks

True, though IMHO nothing beat hands-on sound creation... e.g. this, this, this, this, this, etc..
by Elektrobolt
Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Upgrade to Padshop Pro

I am not sure what your question actually is, but when you upgrade from P (included with Cubase) to PP, all you really need is the activation code (which you get when you purchase PP). After you add the license to your eLicenser (by using the activation code) you just open Cubase like before and you will see the extra features that PP brings. No extra download is required!

There is no stand alone version of padshop, as far as I know. If you check out the requirements you'll see that VST3 or VST2 host application is required.
by Elektrobolt
Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 - and Cubase 7.5 still does not recognize a USB-dev

Keep your fingers crossed! Actually, keep your USB-devices connected! ;)
by Elektrobolt
Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just can hunch my shoulders about how some people step in and behave so careless. How can it be that someone who doesn't find it useful is absolutely against a tiny change in a program when there are, which is what I believe, more than 50% of the users that would be really happy if this feature was just there? Are those people against all improvements in their own life? Is eye candy more important than a real and useful feature? I'm absolutely speechless. Even more, I'm shocked about the lack of intelligence of a certain person here.
I take it that you are addressing me personally. However you really ought to address the opinion instead. I even explained the reason for it. Is my person seriously being labeled with a "lack of intelligence" because of an opinion? :lol: That is just too funny, mate!

Anyways, reading your post, it would appear you are not shocked, nor speechless, but rather dramatic...
With the explicit statement that I am not against it being implemented, how do you figure it "absolutely against"?
How do you figure "more than 50% of the users", and where did the notion of "eye candy more important" come from?
How does "a tiny change in a program" equal "all improvements in their own life"? That is a very powerful butterfly.

All things aside, I will turn my vote against the opposing side. ;)

+1 in favor of this sarcastic request.
by Elektrobolt
Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

However inconceivable this may seem, I do not agree that this "needs to be fixed". That is my opinion and hence I am stating it. Why do I disagree? Simply because it is not really an issue for me. I use a number of USB devices, of which none are ever disconnected. So I really don't see this as something that is in need of a fix. Please note that I am not against it being implemented.

I find this whole thing pretty extraordinary actually... Not that people connect/disconnect their USB devices as often as mentioned, I understand that there are circumstances. Not that they get frustrated, I can certainly understand that. It is that they have sustained this frustration for years and done virtually nothing to get themselves out of such stressful situations.

Sure, one could argue that a software, or a computer, should be able to this and that, but if it just doesn't, a change in behavior is fairly traditional. This may come across as a cheap shot, but I highly recommend it, it relieves stress, and it does not preclude me from asking for the feature to be implemented. Though, it could render it pointless.
by Elektrobolt
Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Okay, I know this is an easy one....

Mahlon wrote:Ahhh. Hold yer horses.... "Parts get Track Name"..... tick!

LOL, good on'ya, mate! :)
by Elektrobolt
Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Free HALion 5 Programs

..so share some. :)
by Elektrobolt
Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Missing Filter bar?

I am using Windows and the filter bar is not gone. Use the "Set up Window Layout (Shift + F2)" to enable/disable Filters.
by Elektrobolt
Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 Bug: VST performance peak?

So I built a new computer just before x-mas (giving me some time to get used to new hardware over the holidays), and I had some issues "with Cubase" too. However, after some BIOS tweaking and a bit of fooling around Windows 8.1 settings, things are now as good as my other computers running Cubase. Mostly 64-bit stuff, with some older 32-bit plugins.

Now please, I am not saying that Cubase is not a resource hog, but in my experience, I have been able to optimize my systems (ALL of them) so that Cubase works "as I expect it to work". That does not mean that some other DAW couldn't do more than Cubase, run more plugins, whatever, I wouldn't know, because I only use Cubase, but I use it every day.

This is not an argument against the patch issue within Omnisphere at all, and since I don't use it, there is nothing I can say about it, but there is obviously an issue somewhere, in Cubase, OR in Omnisphere, perhaps even both. No one seems to know anything concrete as to what the actual cause is. However, keep talking about the issue, and someone is bound to search for it. I would be surprised if Steinberg isn't already looking into this.

People tend to digress (like me now) on topics and it often splits into "all these issues" (because people ARE experiencing things, whatever the cause). So I would rename the title to something like "Omnisphere/Cubase specific patch performance issue" to try and keep people to the topic. As the title stands now ("7.5 Bug: VST performance peak?") it really is an invitation to anyone to speak about their VST Performance issues (like me) in general.

Anyways, just my humble opinions.
by Elektrobolt
Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Halion symphonic orchestra-Cant find in 7.5 DAW

HSO is no longer available as a plugin. HSO is now the HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set .

You can use the HSO set in HALion Sonic SE, HALion Sonic, and HALion.

HSSE comes free with Cubase, so this is where you would find the "HSO VST SIS".

Here is where and how you can find it in HSSE, from Marcus from Steinberg, a couple of years back.
by Elektrobolt
Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BrainStormer by Roazhon DSP (VST3i)

Here is BrainStormer by Roazhon DSP, a *free* VST3 synthesizer.

It is still in beta, but sounds *very* promising. It is also written using the VST3.6 SDK, same as the newly written VST Connect. It is borderline criminal to not support such progressive behavior! ;)
by Elektrobolt
Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why Does Cubase Ruin My Creativity Every Time?

Yep, here we are again.

I still cannot fathom why on Bruno's ashes someone would persist in a situation where life is such utter misery. You cannot work in it, the "workflow" is in the way, colors that cause temporary blindness, sound comparable to hearing aids, crashes, blue screens, etc. A bit exaggerated, but all the same, other people do not have the same issues, and cannot vouch for your experience. They can only speak for themselves and their experience.

I've said it before and I will continue saying it... Life is too short to waste on problems like these. Switch to something that works for you instead. It's the right and the sane thing to do. It is the thing to do in such cases. If the software is still good enough to work through the bad taste, then surely it cannot be *that* bad?

Composing is supposed to be something you enjoy. Which brand or model is used to make that a reality, surely is irrelevant? I wouldn't think less of Pink Floyd and "Money" if I found out that the samples were recorded using a 4-bit sample device for toddlers. It would still be the same great song.

If you are worrying about Nike versus Reebok, you are off course. It doesn't matter in a hundred years, so why should it matter now? Nobody really gives a flying frack about one brand or another, it's just something that has been imprinted and made into a nasty habit.

E.g. Once I looked into a CD/DVD burner from Sony, which was somewhere around $90, only to find out that (at the time) it was a Lite-On unit (the model one that particular unit only differed on the Sony with an S at the end) that they themselves sold for around $30. Sony didn't actually make any CD or DVD units, at all.

The same thing goes for screens (TV's and monitors). There are only a handful of manufacturers, but a ton of brands, and more often than not, I see the brands (that are not making any) being more expensive, yet more popular, and often then ones argued about in the media. LOL, it's idiocrazy out there. It's time to leave the asylum! ;)

Vote with your money!

Today, in our day and age, it's a the one vote you possess, that goes directly to the heart of the matter.
by Elektrobolt
Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI events as shortcuts

sasha-che wrote:What I'd like to do is, while doing a step entry in Piano Roll window, to move cursor forward without entering a note.

The Left/Right Arrow keys on the computer keyboard can be used to navigate the Step Input cursor.
by Elektrobolt
Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do I Load Halion5 64 bit

Contact Steinberg Support for a download link, or PM a forum moderator in the forum, and they may help out.
by Elektrobolt
Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI events as shortcuts

Ok then, so you can create a Generic Remote (Device Setup in the Devices menu), assign some MIDI message to either a Macro that commands a Navigate/Right, or directly to the command Navigate/Right itself.
by Elektrobolt
Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

Well, I have to concur with the positive side, because my main machine (3rd generation i7) is doing better with C7.5 than it did with C7 (even though I had no problems with C7). The VST Performance shows less "jitter" in general. I.e. not necessarily less load (hard to tell), but it shows a more "even" (or tempered) activity. The ASIO Guard is turned on.

Oh, and I created a new C7.5 template to start new projects from. I.e. I am not using an older template, because that seems to have caused various problems in the past for people, so I figured it would be worth a new one for each new version of Cubase.

I am likely building a new machine over the holidays, unless I get occupied with other stuff. :) We will see how a 4th generation "Haswell" CPU will do for me, in comparison with the current happy news.

Bugs will be ironed out over time and I will certainly enjoy the winter with the new fixings that came with C7.5.
by Elektrobolt
Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bugs will be ironed out over time and I will certainly enjoy the winter with the new fixings that came with C7.5.

How do you know that when SB won't even confirm (or deny) the existence of such issues as an indefinable project cursor, let alone manage expectations around mixer functionality?

Regarding your second point, what "fixes" were those?
I've been using Steinberg software since the mid 80's, and my experience with them tells me things will be ironed out.

Regarding " fixings ", I meant of course new features.
by Elektrobolt
Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So truthfully, wouldn't you say something like 80% of the things "will be ironed out?" This is my experience at least and obviously depends on what level you use Cubase.
I don't use 100% of Cubase. Some things I rarely use. The things I do use however, works great. Sure there are some things I wish worked differently at times, but hey, there are bigger things in life worth fighting for. Grinding about a mouse click that would saved some time, seem to negate the benefit.

So truthfully, things will work out. Maybe not the way some would want it to work, but close enough. If you cannot live with that, based on my experience, you need to move on, go elsewhere, change, adapt, whatever. Life is just too short, and these kind of worries will just bring the end a little closer. It's already too close for my taste! ;)
by Elektrobolt
Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

But the above also depends on your frequency of use, especially if you earn money using Cubase. Better workflow...less waste...more money. I have always said compared to the competition Cubase is the best. If it were not, why would I be here?
Absolutely, I use Cubase every day and part of my income comes from using Cubase.

Workflow, waste and money are business related terms. The tool chosen, only enhances the job. However, no matter how much a tool is changed and improved, in the long run it won't have any effect on the business side.

A great DAW can bring out great passion with users. And that is the problem...even though Cubase is the best for myself, I see so many areas of improvement...most of them are workflow and fixing already implemented features.
Some improvements just make sense, others are often very subjective. E.g. have you ever been to Home Depot (or any other hardware store, for that matter)? If you haven't, check out how many types of "hammers" there are, for example... Still, houses are built as cheap as possible. One for business, and all for business. :lol:

Again, it's business that kills that "great passion", not Cubase (or any other DAW for that matter). They are just tools, not magical music wands. Steinberg has always been a great innovator of tools for musicians, and those musicians are the ones hammering out the magic (or cheap radio trash, ;) ).

So close....yet so far....
And still close enough. ;)
by Elektrobolt
Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If it were "close enough" you might as well close up shop and call it a day. But I'm hoping instead they implement ideas suggested by users and fix the things that need fixing.
Naturally I meant close enough as in being perfectly usable. Not that Cubase has reached nirvana.

Features and fixes are always welcome, and they will certainly arrive.
by Elektrobolt
Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Importing samples to change pitch but not time ?

Check the AudioWarp section in HALion 5 and in the manual, p. 110.
by Elektrobolt
Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sounds seem scarce...

Still some space.
by Elektrobolt
Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sounds seem scarce...

This is a desolate soundscape.
by Elektrobolt
Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Free HALion 5 Programs

Different stages of the same sound.
by Elektrobolt
Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

House of the distorting sun.
by Elektrobolt
Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was working on something in need of a little distortion and ended up with a couple of superfluous programs. :)
by Elektrobolt
Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kraftwerk sounds from memory.

I would say that my mind seem to imagine them projecting a sound from somewhere around 1978-81 (during which The Man-Machine and Computer World were released) which are two my absolute favorite albums.
by Elektrobolt
Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ATM I am a busy bee buzzing about... ;)
by Elektrobolt
Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 on more than one computer?

It is possible, you just cannot run Cubase at the same time, on both computers.
by Elektrobolt
Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 on more than one computer?

Yep, just don't take it out of the computer while running Cubase, or Cubase will have a nervous breakdown. ;)
by Elektrobolt
Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: no midi sound

On your MIDI Track (used with the XP-50), have you selected the output MIDI Port that is connected to your XP-50?

If there is no MIDI Device driver for the XP-50, there is no need to select anything. You can simply select the In/Out MIDI Ports on the MIDI Track itself. :)
by Elektrobolt
Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: no midi sound

The Cubase MIDI Device is only used as a sort of configuration tool for enhancing the operation of a MIDI device.

For the input, you can select "All MIDI Inputs" or UR-44 (the "All..." includes the UR-44 MIDI In) and for the output you would choose UR-44. This is of course contingent on you having your XP-50 connected to the MIDI In/Out of the UR-44. :)

This now enables you to transmit a MIDI message from your XP-50 to the UR-44 to Cubase, and you can also now send MIDI message from Cubase to the UR-44 to the XP-50. If you have a MIDI Track for this purpose, you now need to use the Local Off functionality on the XP-50. Local On is for when no router (e.g. Cubase) is used/needed to control the MIDI messages.

You can now create one or more Instrument Tracks that you would set to UR-44 for MIDI In and of course the output routing on such tracks would be the VST instrument itself.

If an Instrument Track works, but a MIDI Track does not seem to play anything on the XP-50, you very likely have to configure the MIDI Channels on that track AND XP-50. I do no know how much you understand about MIDI, but MIDI Channels effectively divides the MIDI Port/cable into 16 virtual mini cables. :)

So whichever MIDI Channel you select in Cubase, the XP-50 has to be listening on, in order for it to properly react to MIDI messages.

Even though the MIDI Ports come in pairs (In/Out) you need to consider them as separate pipes. This is because one cable is not bi-directional, like say a USB cable.

So again, what you send from your XP-50, is transmitted to Cubase, and it in turn re-routes the messages depending on what is selected and how tracks and other items are configured inside of Cubase.
by Elektrobolt
Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VSTi sidechain input

Maybe we could have a comment from the Steinberg folks on this? ("Pretty please, with sugar on top?") ;)

Seeing that this has been "on the plate" for a while, any information, good or bad, is better than no words at all.

Imagine HALion with the VSTi sidechain input, a realtime audio oscillator, or even better an audio input buffer being the actual (grain) sample source. Now that is something worth dreaming about. :)
by Elektrobolt
Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic