Search found 15 matches

Return

Re: Poor graphic performance

Hello,

Hey guys,

the poor graphic performance of 7.5 (and also 7) by comparison to 6 is really bothering me. I used to work with a latency of 256 samples for my big orchestral template in C6 and everything was super smooth and there were no crackles or whatsoever. Now with 7.5 I have to use 512 samples latency because with 256 there are too many crackles. Are there any things I can do? I did all the DAW performance tuning things!

Have you tried disabling the ASIO-Guard individually for some of the VSTi's in that template?
Go to: Devices > Plug-in information > Disable the ASIO-Guar individually from the list.

Best regards,
GN
by Guillermo
Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Got a cool tip or macro to add to the list? Spotted an error or know a better way? Post it here and I'll add it on as and when I can!

There are lots more juicy tips in this thread that haven't been collated yet, or are a bit too general or complex to fit in this post. Have a wade through and see what nuggets you find.

Excellent Thread by Bane (looks like hundreds of hours of work here) thanks Curteye.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=23576#p151237

Great Site Full of Tutorials thanks Norbury Brook .
http://www.cubasetutorial.net/

Best Ever Workflow Tip

The one piece of advice that keeps on coming up over and over: Learn the Key commands and assign your own. Almost every function can be set to a key command.

Here's an excellent thread by JMCecil with a utility for setting up and viewing key commands.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=31882

Project Setup

Make templates!

Get a session set up how you like it, tracks ready to go, input and output buses, group channels, folder tracks even favourite VST instruments and FX, this is a BIG timesaver.

Template From Existing Project

Save your project under a different name first (avoids ‘lost project embarrassment’). Delete all the Audio/MIDI stuff you don’t want in the template from the project window. Hit [CTL]+P to open pool and right [Option]click, select empty trash.
BEWARE, don’t choose erase unless you don’t need the files, choose the‘remove from pool’ option. Erase option will send your files to digital heaven. Then choose Save as Template option from the file menu.

Naming Tracks

In the Arrange window, click in the track name box to get a curser, type in the tracks name ie; ’Kick’, hit [TAB] (cursor jumps to next track name box) type in next one and repeat. Hit [Enter] to end.

Naming Tracks Inside Folders - by Xtigma

Rename all tracks inside a folder to the same name.
Type name in Folder Track, hold down [shift] + press [enter].

Rename all events on midi track to track's name - By Mozizo

Dbl click track name(fonts highligted with blue).
Press and hold one of the modifiers and press Enter.

Assigning Input Buses and Channel Outputs

In the Mix Console, select the required audio channels and as you assign the 1st channel (Drop down menu in Mix Console-Routing Tab) hold down [Shift] and each channel will be assigned incrementally.
Holding [Shift]+[ALT] will send all selected channels to the same Input bus or output.

Macros

To create a macro

File/Key Commands/Show Macros/New Macro-and name it.
Highlight the command from the commands window and hit 'Add Command' after each.
The new marco should now be visible in the macro folder in the commands window. Assign it to a Key of your choice.

New Track Macro - by Rhino

For creating a new track with all routing monitoring and FX settings from existing in one go.

Project - Duplicate Tracks
Edit - Select All On Tracks
Edit - Delete

Bounce In Place - by Winter Rat http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=30597

Cubase Ninja Pro-Tools style Trim Automation - by Lukasbrooklyn http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=38182

Set L and R Locators to next 2 markers - by SeeWhat

Locate to marker 1 then apply the following macro ({Alt}+{/}.
transport- set Left locator
transport- next marker
transport- set Right locator

Mix Console/FX

Default FX Presets - by Rhino

In any FX container window, next to the preset box hit the cubase icon and choose 'save as default preset'

Open all insert GUI on channel - By mozizo

[shift]+[alt]+[left click] on E button of a channel.
To close all of them [shift]+[left click] on E again.

Reset Channel Settings - by Bacizone

In Track Inspector - Alt+Click on the Bypass buttons will reset the settings of Insert / Strip / Equalizer / Send

Audio

Pre-Insert Volume Automation

Make sure the 'Use Mouse Wheel for Event volume and Fades' option is activated in Preferences. Editing/Audio page.
[ALT]+Click on an audio event to cut it around the area you want to change, then hover the mouse over it and mouse wheel up for louder (up to 24db) or down for softer. Will also work for multiple selections or entire Audio events. Won't work for an Audio Part unless you dissolve part first [CTL]+ right[option] click to open context menu and choose Audio/Dissolve Part.
[CTL]+M/Wheel near front of event to adjust fade in or near rear for fade out.

Replace all audio clip instances - by lukasbrooklyn

To replace all instances of an audio event in a project (akin to exchanging a sample in a sampler), put your replacement sample in the pool, the drag it from the pool whist holding shift, and drop it onto the event to be replaced.

MIDI

MIDI Octave shortcut - by Stealth

Select midi event(s) in the project/arrange page then Shift + up or down arrow key to change octave.

MIDI Velocity Editing - by trashdinner

Hold shift + Ctrl, left click and drag up or down to change velocity on selected MIDI events.

Logical Editor - by Curteye

Being a MIDI guitarist from the early 90's the LE was a must learn.
Here is my approach(es):

1-When using it stop thinking like an artist/musician etc
and start thinking more 'scientific'. (similar but not quite the same)

2-Don't go in 'cold'. Decide want you want to accomplish and use a preset
that steers in that direction. There are many in Cubase. Tweak from there.

3-Save your tweak as a preset. You might need it later and you might forget how you got there.
(happened to me a lot at first)

4-Using LE custom presets along with Key Commands can really speed the workflow.

VST Instruments

Record VST instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export - by JMCecil

F4 -> Output tab -> hit + sign and create a Stereo Output called whatever "VSTi Out". Do not assign this output to any of your audio card outputs.
On your Instrument track, set the output to the "VSTi Output" from the previous step.
Create a Stereo Audio Track in the project, set the INPUT to "VSTi Output"
Enable monitor and/or Record enable.

Layered Samples in Groove Agent SE - by trashdinner

If you add multiple sounds to a pad (by drag and dropping) use the first (top) option when dropping the sounds to a pad to layer them.
At first they will will not trigger at the same time but the different samples will trigger depending on the velocity so while the pad is selected, change the mode to "layer" instead of "velocity" in the main tab. Now they all trigger at the same time but you can't adjust the volumes or any other parameters of the different samples separately ... but here's how to do it:
There are 2 little buttons on the upper right side of Groove Agent SE, one is ABS or Rel (It's set to ABS by default)
and the other one is Pad or Sel (It's set to Pad by default). If you press the Pad button to switch it to Sel (while the multi samples pad is selected) you can now chose the sample you want to change the volume or any other parameters and it will only change the settings of that sample within the Pad instead of all the samples within the pad. So just select the sample, tweak some buttons and when you select another sample on the same pad you'll see the the tweaks you made won't affect the other samples :) I find That really usefull instead of having to have 3 midi notes for my kick sound, I just have one and tweak it inside Groove Agent SE.

Vari Audio

Variaudio shortcuts - by trashdinner

[tab] to switch between segment and pitch modes.
Hold [ctrl] while moving a note to snap to pitch.
Hold [shift] while moving a note to move it freely.

Editing of M/S - Recordings - by marQs

If recording i.e. a vocalist with M/S technique (to get that little air around) which I often do, record it to a stereo track (M = left/S = right) instead of two individual tracks. Mix6To2 or Voxengo MSED get you decoded in a second.

That way you can apply i.e. VariAudio + Warp to both channels while avoiding phase issues.

Works exactly the same if you track a DI guitar + an amp, up to 6 channels, see Rhino's tip on multitrack wave editing here http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=49327#p301663

Video

Video Scrubbing - by Carlo

Very nice for film-scoring if you play back a movie on a computer screen: Click directly in the Video Player window and drag the mouse left or right...

Toggle Full Screen Video - by BFred

Double-click anywhere in the video window to toggle full screen mode.

General

Resize Tool box (Arrange Window) - by Soul Burn

If you press right-click to open the tools menu and hold it pressed for about 5 seconds (it feels long), you can resize the shape of the toolbox. This lets you get to your tools with a shorter movement of the mouse.

Scissor Trick - by Bonso

Scissor Tool : alt/click when slicing an event divides the whole event into equal length sections.

Reverse Locators to skip section - by Rotund

If you just want to cut a section of a song, but want to hear the result first.
Simply engage cycle, then set your left locator to the end of the section to be cut.
Then set your right locator to the beginning of the section to be cut.
Yea, backwards.
Now playback from a point before the right locator.
The song will skip over the section enclosed in the markers.

Got something to share? Post your tips and ideas in this thread and I'll add them when I can.
by Paul Coyle
Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Large projects spike "disk" meter in 7.5 ? (88.2 / 32 )

Silhouette:

Hit the following in order, in Cubase: Device Setup, ASIO (whatever the name of your interface is), Control Panel, then go to the Global page. All of it is done in Cubase, based in one window (the Device Setup window). If your interface has this option, it will be there.
by Headlands
Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Plugin doesn't come up when i enter it in the insert

Preferences > Vst > plugin's > open effect editor after loading it
by d-_-b
Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is going on with Cubase 7?

First off. OBVIOUS INFORMATION for the unready. This is NOT the ISSUES forum. This is NOT the Steinberg SUPPORT desk. I suggest you visit one or the other if one is serious about having these "problems".

There is less wrong with Cubase than is wrong with the incompetent who can't get it to work like thousands of others can.
Who don't know how to complain properly or even where to complain and who mysteriously have a convenient amnesia when it comes to supplying any handy information that might help themselves like system details. Complaining here just makes you all look a bit foolish because this is a USER self-help forum. Do I have to say that s-l-o-w-l-y. A u-s-e-r selllffff hhhheeeellllppp foooorrroooom. It's not the forum where the sane moan for years and years about the SAME problem they had with the last 8 versions (that they were NEVER going to buy). The problem that bothers no one else because they have got a life.
And I have seen devs contributing here. I have seen problems addressed. I think these posts are cheeky and arrogant beyond belief. How would any of you like to be treated the same way by your "clientele"? The way so much "doesn't work" I can believe complaints about some studios must be numerous. Does one tell the "client" "Sorry but it's Cubase. It's awful!" ? :roll:
And it doesn't help with problems when helpful suggestions are brushed aside as irrelevant because they don't join in with the spurious complaint brigade.

What's going on with Cubase 7 is "not much". What's going on with some users that needs more urgent attention.
Nobody MADE any of us buy Cubase. So why buy all those latest, shiny new versions that you said you'd never bother buying from Steinberg EVER again? I'm as dim as a 40watt lightbulb and I can get Cubase working. Even Cubase 7.
by Buchanan
Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Iro: Track Color Pack for Cubase

http://seyoum.net/pictures/Logo.jpg

Hi everyone.

This is a neat little color pack I made for Cubase 7.5. For me, the default colors were not enough as I tend to have a lot of tracks, often with the same instruments, but with variations. It takes a considerable long time to make a set of new colors so I thought I would share it with you guys so you don't need to do this yourself. Am I not grateful? :D

http://dawlab.net/pictures/Iro.jpg

The pack consists of 8 different main colors with 8 additional shades of each color. 64 colors in total!
Once you install the colors I suggest you do not tamper too much with the intensity/brightness as this can cause some of the colors to look alike. Yes, I did this myself and had to redo everything.

Please see the link to my blog for installation: http://www.dawlab.net/2014/04/26/iro-2-0/

I do not have the privilege to test this on a mac or different versions of Cubase. If you are able to successfully apply these colors on another system please share how you did it.

Hope you enjoy it!

Seyoum
by seyoum
Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[Solved ... sort of] Resolve Missing Files Problem

I have searched this forum and found no resolution, so I'm posting this question.

I had a directory called Untitled 07 (or some such). It contained two empty subdirectories, Audio and Images. Nothing else. I deleted the parent directory.

From that point on, every project I tried to open gave me the "Resolve Missing Files" dialog. Nothing I could do seemed to correct it. I restored the Untitled 07 directory and contents from the trash bin (Win 7, Cubase 7.5) and the dialog went away. But the file cited as missing was not in the restored directory in the first place. In the second place, I could find no project that referenced the missing file. I'm quite new to Cubase, so I have very few projects that have any significance, so looking at each for a reference to the missing file was easy - there were none.

Now, I've gotten the annoying dialog to stop showing on each project open, so that's progress. But it makes no sense. Why was I seeing this warning in the first place? Also, should the "Restore Missing Files" dialog not have some option to say "delete reference, this file is not important" or something to that effect? I spend (wasted) a lot of time trying to sort out this non-problem that appeared to be a valid problem.

Thanks for any direction on this problem.
by dmbaer
Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SSD for project files - worthwhile?

though that SSD's still had issues with repeated deletions and re-recording causing dead areas and that this was the reason they were recommended for the C drive, but not for the project drive. This sounds like old info, but no one has mentioned it.
Each block on an SSD has a limit of 10,000 writes for an MLC drive, which is what most consumer SSDs are.

Now, to prevent any one block being thrashed to the limit ahead of others, SSDs use what is called 'wear-levelling' to spread the writes evenly over all available blocks, that is, empty ones. The drive only pretends to write to the same block as far as the OS knows, but it is being directed to different ones all the time. This is similar to bad block management on HDDs

To further allow some redundancy for future write-exhaustion, SSDs keep some capacity from being directly used, and swaps blocks with the 'visible' ones to further level the wear.

Now, even if a block has reached its last write, it can be read indefinitely, so data is never lost, but the capacity reduces for new writes.

However, even writing the same block five times a day, it would last 5 years, so as long as there is enough spare space on a drive, it will have enough wear-levelling blocks to probably get to fail completely before one block ever reaches write-exhaustion. For project drives, most blocks will be static (recorded tracks) and any one block may go for days without being written to again.

Of course, for sample users, an OS or data SSD that may have started to lose capacity can be used for less used libraries until it fails.

Now, over the years, people have brought up that the Windows page file may write thrash an SSD. However, writes are cached in memory, so that, as telemetry has shown, there are many small reads from the page file, but few writes, and mostly of 1MB.
by Patanjali
Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I can't Drag a ezdrummer 1 Midi loop in C7.5

I use to be able to drag and drop a Midi loop from exdrummer 1 into Cubase. Now I have NO problem dragging a Groove Agent (Pattern) into C7.5 on the Groove Agent track or on the ezdrummer track but not the other way around.
by Michel Doucet
Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mastering In Cubase

I'll bite since I used to some mastering for clients who actually paid their bills.

First off, there really are no "best" mastering plug-ins and no "best" mastering hardware. For example I'll probably choose a Weiss over a Behringer for EQ but if my sonic objective is something that a Behringer quickly delivers why not use the Behringer?

You want to know what is good? Go visit mastering studios or look at their gear lists. Check out Gateway Mastering. One of my favorites is Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundmans. Keep in mind a lot of the gear at Bernies has been altered...actually most of it.

Check out the gear, but more importantly learn how and why it is used. I sat in on a mastering session years ago with a guy who is now a very well known name. He had most anything at his disposal for high end gear. For this particular track(s) even though he had 2 very nice hardware limiters, he chose an L-2! He looked at me, grinned and said for these tracks he thought it would sound best! He also made me promise to never divulge his name. :D

When it comes to the topic of mastering I'm continually amazed at the focus on gear instead of procedure. A sonically engineered room with high quality LEARNED speakers and user experience is so much more important than gear. Gear is a tool. You use it day in and day out and eventually you become intimate with that tool knowing exactly how it will process any given audio to achieve a desired outcome. You know the limits of every parameter on your tool and you know when to select that particular tool. Most ME's I know of stick with what works for them. They aren't continually A/Bing the best new gear...even if in fact it might be "better." For example this is why I still often use an L-2. I know what it can and can't do depending on the given audio. If you read the forums, the L-2 is old, outdated, and distorts like crazy. But those comments IMO really manifest user inexperience. Experience has shown me that you can't get much more out of an L-2 than 2-3dbRMS without distortion. But that's okay because most experienced ME's I know of get the majority volume before any signal even hits the L-2 . Some of the ways is through EQ, Mid/side processing, parallel sometimes even series compression, soft clipping, and proper gain staging. Know how and when to use these procedures, then feed your limiter for a little bit more. Your limiter will most likely reward you greatly if it's fed something good.

Most professional pop/rock mixes arrive relatively hot. I hate to use numbers because content varies so much, but just guessing -13dbRMS to -11dbRMS. This volume has been established before mastering. Most of the completed pop I did was in the -10dbRMS to -7dbRMS range depending on the content.

What you don't do is slap on any limiter at the end of the chain, crank it, and then complain how it sucks compared to your new favorite limiter of the month. These days there are so many fantastic new tools...even free ones like Limiter No. 6 that I think it's a waste to focus so much time on the tool instead of the process. It's an area of diminishing returns for your dollar when mastering procedure is so much more important. Also, at what point does audio that is claimed to be "better" become just audio of another "flavor"...not worse or better...just different? I have seen blind tests where audiophiles are outright funny spouting endless sound adjectives. I usually offer them more wine. ;)

Personally I like Wavelab, but since WL7 be ready for an education as it can take some time to learn. Wavelab is deep, but IMO the most flexible and powerful mastering application around. Use Sadie if you don't need what Wavelab offers. Can you master in Cubase? You can "master" in most any DAW. But what will you do for DDP, RedBook PQ codes compiling, error checking, analysis, and/or burning? What will you do when your client is sitting behind you and insists A is better than B when in fact they are biased by comparing a slightly louder track? This is why I use Wavelab.

What do I use ITB? Select tools from UAD, Waves, and a few others. I mastered an album a few years ago from Bruce Swedien. It needed...hardly anything. :D All I did was some dB's, very slight imaging and then the regular things for any CD. Every project is different. To believe there is some silver bullet limiter/compressor/EQ/multiband whatever that surpasses all others is futile and IMO often foolish. Choose one or a couple...and LEARN them.

You can also go to mastering forums and read a gazillion opinions about the best mastering tools. Unfortunately just over the past 5 years many well known ME's including Bob Katz have given up offering advice for very good reasons. :mrgreen:
by greggybud
Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is there a way to move a drum set up to another project?

thanks enjneer, I'll look deeper into what you suggest tomorrow, seems complicated,
I have a project at the mo that has the drum set up via a rack as I said and 4 group channels and like the sound and set up..also includes a lot of plugins..I was hoping to just save this as some sort of preset that i could load up on any project, does what you suggest cover this possibility?
sorry to be so daft...Kevin

Yeah, moving deep-mixed outputs and synths and routing... It's never easy.

The last paragraph I wrote above does cover what you want. It reads complicated, but it's not that bad, really. I used to do it all the time before 7.5. It's really just three main things:
1) Save rack preset of the VSTi
2) Save selected instrument channels in MC
3) Save selected Group channels in MC

In the new project, load the VSTi in Rack and load the preset. You'll have to manually make the same number of outputs again—but the VSTi will have the correct output assignments saved. Then load your previously saved instrument channels in MC while they're selected.
Make the same number of Groups and load the previously saved group channnels into them. All plugins will load as they were in the original.
You'll have to manually reassign the routing again, though Sends are remembered.

Track Archives will, I believe, load up all the tracks with the routing. But I've never really gotten into using those. That might be faster, then load the VSTi and its preset.

But, honestly, if you really like your drum setup, it'd be worth it to take the time to set it up as a multi-out Instrument Track. Then it's one-click in each project to save/load the VSTi. Then, you only have to worry about saving/loading your Group channels.

Now that there are multi-out Instrument Tracks, I doubt I'll ever go back to the rack. And I'm in the process of shifting all my favourite drum setups (the only thing I ever still used the Rack for) from the Rack to ITs for this very reason.
by enjneer
Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8 and UAD-2/Apollo

hi Silhouette

open a project
open the UAD shortcut icon at the bottom of the screen
go to system info
and it will report the plugin latency...

report back thx :)

edit
and my setup
Intel i7 64bit 16gb ram - Windows 8.1 - Rme Fireface UCX - Uad Octo - Uad quad
by Xtigma
Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re-Record Unreliable

Here are several different bugs I’m experiencing randomly using the re-record function and an instrument track with any vsti:

1.When I hit * to re-record it sometimes deletes the whole instrument track not just the take/event. This leaves me having to call up the vst and find the right patch again. If I hit undo to get the vsti back after it is deleted it crashes Cubase. It does the same thing if I use a midi track under the instrument track.
2. First beat of click doesn’t play and I get a 3 count instead of a 4 count.
3. Click doesn’t play at all.
4. It doesn’t erase the previous take.

I do not have problem #1-3 on Cubase 7.5.3. Trashing my preferences did not help. Anybody else having these issues?
by Tracker
Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Re-Record Unreliable

Hi,
I could reproduce and forwared the issue to the respective departements.

Greetings,
JHP
by JHP
Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crossfades! Steinberg, please stop changing things for w

Weird. I just checked and they're showing for me at all times as a default. I think the option you need to check is Preferences/Event Display/Show Event Volume Curves Always.
by MHoughton
Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic