Search found 13 matches

Return

Re: CUbase 7.5…when?

Sumday
by Airyck
Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any Black Friday sales on Cubase 7??

Black Friday is an american thing and not international, furthermore, it is also a thing for retailers, so ask at your usual outlets.
by BriHar
Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

Thanks. I realise this is not your job, but since you're the only apparent connection with management, you must realise it's the only option most of us have in making our needs known. It's been many years since someone at the level of Charlie/Lars/Dave/etc. actually engaged with users about needs/wants/desires so all we can do is beg/plead with front-line people.

This is similar to most big, faceless, utilities where the end users are pretty much powerless. I understand the advantages for management (and for -you- to be able to say "I only work here"), but I'm not sure it's the image your company really wants to project.

Best,

---JC

Thank you.

Feel free to ask, if I cannot reply because it is not my duty, I'll ask to the proper people if it is possible to give out the required info. Nothing wrong with asking!
by Fabio Bartolini
Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: come on steinberg a list of issues resolved in c7.5 PLEA

http://youtu.be/kLvwX6b4XzA?t=35m57s

It doesn't answer the OP's request for all resolved issues but does show the mixer and arranger configurations in action.
by kelp
Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 Instrument Rack 2.0 - existing projects?

ptbbos wrote:Has there been any commentary yet on how the updated instrument rack will behave with existing projects?

Projects will behave the same. Rack Instruments show up as such in the Rack. For existing Instruments Tracks you will be able to enable additional Outputs.

Cheers,
Helge
by Helge Vogt
Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 Pro Film/TV Composers: Voice Your Opinion/Rate

I've been thinking about this a LOT recently. It's been pointed out to me that I rant a lot and I've been trying to figure out what my problem is. Truthfully, there are no dealbreakers in Cubase. It does basically everything I need very competently. And they keep adding neat-o features which make it more and more flexible, which is great. It's also 'fast' in terms of actual execution: loading, rendering, etc. are all satisfactory.

But here's the thing... Cubase keeps getting SLOWER to work with. Not -faster-. What inflames my sphincter with each passing year is that Cubase is like this: I go to a restaurant and I ask for a diet plate. And the waiter brings me the all you can eat buffet. And I say, 'No... I want the diet plate.' But the guy keeps bringing more of the all you can eat deal. And I feel bad for complaining, because... the guy keeps bringing me more food. I feel ungrateful---but it's not what I know is good for me. And I feel like a 'whiner'. But what they keep giving me is not what I need. It's great, but it's not what I -really- need.

1. Window management is rough.

2. Preset Management/File Management really stinks.

3. Key commands and icons and window layouts are getting less and less efficient.

...And all that stuff seems so 'small' but the truth? I work SLOWER now than I did in 2007. And I'm not getting any younger so it's getting increasingly annoying.

The projects I work on now are MUCH larger than they used to be. People expect MORE stuff; not 16 tracks... 160 tracks. And the workflow hasn't kept up. In fact, it's heading in the wrong direction.

And THAT is what drives me nuts. Many of the changes SB keeps making are not what I need. They're doing cool stuff, but it's clear they aren't listening to the stuff -I- care most about and that's frustrating. So I feel trapped. I have too many years in to change. Which is not a great feeling sometimes.

---JC
by suntower
Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: APPEAL: C7.X Pro Composers: Voice Your Opinion here![POL

The -broad- generalisation I seem to see from what I've read here over the years is this:

It -seems- like 'recording engineers' (people who work primarily with pre-recorded audio) like the direction of Cubase more than people like me who are 'composers' or 'orchestrators' (people who create structures from the ground up -inside- Cubase.) The vast majority of improvements seem to be for people who are taking a 'song' or big sections of content and then massaging it into shape. More of a traditional engineer or producer.

But for -me- who -composes- in Cubase and want to very quickly try ideas, jettison them; edit the -structure- itself, the more features Cubase adds, the -slower- the workflow the basic operations of 'ranges' and 'windows' and 'key commands' have not really been improved in a decade. A decade. You might argue 'Mediabay' and 'Presets' are big changes, but to that I would say: those were actually steps -backwards-. Call me old, but I -still- prefer FXPs. And I just want the options to load and save files where -I- want to... not in some 'cloud' like Mediabay. I want to -know- where everything is.
by suntower
Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: APPEAL: C7.X Pro Composers: Voice Your Opinion here![POL

If it were really only $10k? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

With each year, I find myself being lured by the siren song of TERABYTES of new samples. Ever nicer orchestral libs. More realistic -whatevers-. I find myself buying less and less. It has nothing to do with the libs themselves, it's that I've come to realise I'm up to my -neck- in 'sounds' and 'plug-ins' and 'presets'. I have enough raw 'data' to last until I -die-.

More and more I find myself avoiding new -anything- because I'm -exhausted- managing the crap I have now. For example: what's the point of having 20 compressors if auditioning them is frickin' tedious? Far better to fall back on 2 or 3 tried and true.

What's the point of using a product like VSL Dimension Strings when setting up complex sections will take up literally -days- of my life? I look at the screens and I think 'Crap, if I had real players I could write this on score paper in an hour. But this'll take 3 days to make work in Cubase.' So I simply don't write that complex an idea. I use a simpler string lib. Nobody cares. But -I- care. I didn't get to do the super fun thing that is the reason I -write- music. Because the tools are sooooooooo tedious.

In short, the slower workflows have altered my -composing- and cut down on my -buying-. I fit my writing to what works in Cubase, rather than the other way round. It's not -terrible- but I liken it to a pension without a COLA. The requirements keep going up 5% every year, but Cubase workflows stay flat. So after 10 years, I'm starting to feel that 'gap'.

And there's simply no hardware I can throw at this kind of problem. As I wrote, Cubase is 'fast' enough. It's just not -fast- enough, if you take my meaning. I'm having the nagging feeling that I did better work in SX4 with far smaller sample libs and far lower res plug-ins. Perhaps this is the digital version of guys like Jack White who are fed up with too much tech. Maybe the problem is too much of the wrong tech. Or maybe my discomfort is Cubase's way of telling me I'm gettin' too old for this gig. :D

One last thing and then I promise I'm done. :D The maddening thing for me... I rant... then take a few years off... is that this is what I call the 'slot machine' problem: They always get -so- close that I keep thinking 'next time! It's gotta pay off next time if I just put in another quarter!' The things that -really- would help me are NOT huge deals. I really don't need a whole new 'window system'. Or a 'plug-in system'. Or any vast new initiative. They'd be -nice- but that's -not- the end of the world. I just need the Window On Top bug fixed. I just need the Sends pane to have both the rack -and- the panning together---like it used to be! I just need the Presets and MediaBay to be easier. I need a key command to get to the Info Line. I need a Lock Locators command. I need to be able to split an event inside an editor. I need the range tool to be tweaked a bit. I'd like to be able to chain LE presets together. -Small- things. Cubase already does enough stuff to last me a lifetime. It's those -little- things that are the holdup.

---JC

It's funny - I was bandying about the idea with another composer recently of what it would cost to develop a DAW from the ground up exclusively for film & TV composers. It feels like no DAW really caters to the workflows and needs of professionals while being reliable, flexible and jettisoning much of the fluff. A pipe dream...

Imagine something as complex as Cubase (as in years of super-specialized highly-paid work by a team of about 20 people, plus all the administration) that you can only sell to about 1,000 people around the world. How much would it cost to buy? My rough estimate: $10,000.
by suntower
Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C7.5.0: Track Pictures Garbled (Sometimes)

Confirmed here. User or factory, same effect at 90 and 270 degrees.
by SteveInChicago
Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5.1 Vs Logic X Pro Test on Mac

I work with both. Professionally I use Logic. For my own pursuits I use Cubase. I'll preface this by saying my background is Cubase - from VST through the latest. I've been working with Logic for nearly a year now. I'm know my way around. But still, I HATE the workflow. It should be called Illogic. It's clunky and unintuitive. (I realize this opinion is likely attributably to my background, but I can say I've never been so impeded by a DAW.) It boggles my mind that the program is as popular as it is.

Logic could have quadruple the performance of Cubase (which is what Orchetect is suggesting above), and still, I'd never consider using it for personal purposes.
by Brock
Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cubase / Cubase Artist 7.5.20 maintenance update available

Dear Cubase and Cubase Artist 7.5 users,

We are happy to announce the availability of the 7.5.20 maintenance updates for Cubase 7.5 and Cubase Artist 7.5. Both updates are a free download and fully supported (please see the bottom of this post for links).

Improvements
• TrackVersions: Delete Inactive TrackVersions
• Control Room Improvements
• Channel/track visibility: Key command for “Update configurations”
• Steinberg Hub: Remove recent projects from list
• Project window toolbar: Additional buttons
• New Preference: Record-Enable allows MIDI Thru
• New Preference: Colorize folder track controls only

Issues resolved
Project
• An issue that interferes with the "Save" and "Close" behavior has been resolved.
• Toggling between projects with a MIDI track located before an instrument track in the track list now works as expected.
• Rack instruments behave now as expected when working with several projects at the same time.
• Searching for hidden tracks using "Find tracks" now makes hidden instrument tracks visible.
• Unmuting a folder track now unmutes all tracks inside the folder as expected.
• The agent "Hide muted tracks" works now on muted instrument tracks.
• The behavior of side scrolling with a Logitech mousewheel has been corrected.
• "Import track archive" works now as expected.
• The preset name of the Track Control Settings is now visible.
• The navigation of the In-place Editor works now as expected.
• "Punch in" works now as expected in Re-Record mode.
• A problem involving the pre-/postroll time display in Japanese language has been resolved.
• Gluing two MIDI parts no longer leads to unwanted transposition of certain notes.
• Resizing parts in locked tracks is no longer possible.
• A visual problem with frozen tracks has been resolved.
• "Select Tracks with Same Version ID" no longer shows automation lanes of instrument tracks.
• Locked tempo/signature tracks remain locked after re-opening a project.
• The ¢ symbol of the time signature palette of the Score Editor creates now a 2/2 time signature.

Audio
• Automatic hitpoint detection now works reliable.
• Audiowarping in the Sample Editor now works as expected.
• A problem with the visibility of the grid in Audiowarp has been resolved.
• A rare problem in VariAudio that rendered the application unreliable has been resolved.
• When ASIO-Guard is enabled dropouts no longer occur.
• The "Replace by" offline processing function works now as expected.
• Exporting a stereo mixdown to a new project now inserts a stereo audio file on a stereo track.
• Closing the window after exporting MP3, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis no longer renders the application unreliable.
• Exporting a 5.1 surround audio mixdown with the option "Wave split file" no longer renders the application unreliable.
• A visibility problem of the "Resolve Missing Files" window has been corrected.

Instrument tracks
• The agent "Hide muted tracks" now works on muted instrument tracks.
• The name of the main output of an instrument is now shown correctly on audio returns.
• Unmuting folder tracks involving instrument tracks work now as expected.
• Muting instrument tracks and MIDI sub-tracks now works as expected.
• The "Mute" key command now works for instrument tracks in the Project window as expected.
• The preference "Select Track on Background Click" now works properly for audio return tracks.
• Copy-pasting MIDI data now works for instrument tracks on the Project page.
• Selecting all inputs in the VST Instrument Rack now selects the correct instrument track.

Score
• Print out now works as expected in Cubase Artist.
• Activating the function "Animate Note Cursor" now works as expected.
• Key commands for all symbol palettes are now available.
• A problem with redundant and missing key commands has been resolved.
• Zooming behavior of the zoom tool now works as expected.
• Filter checkboxes now update as expected when key commands are used.
• The box symbol in the replace mode is printed as expected.
• Chord Assistant: The state of the cadence mode is now recalled correctly.
MixConsole
• Clicking on the EQ bypass button while holding the Option/Alt keys now works as expected.
• Load/save EQ presets are available again in the Channel Settings window.
• The solo defeat function of instrument tracks now works as expected.
• A problem with the visibility syncing between MixConsole and Project window regarding instrument audio returns has been corrected.
• The function "Deactivate all mute states" now works as expected after selecting "Mute input" on virtual instruments.
• It is now possible to switch the visibility of collapsed folders that contain other folders inside the MixConsole.
• A rare graphical glitch on the horizontal scroll bar of the MixConsole has been corrected.
• Inputs and outputs can now be assigned using QuickLink on MIDI channels.
• A problem involving the visibility of the horizontal scroll bar in the MixConsole has been resolved.
• The preference "Select channels/track on solo" now works as expected when enabling the solo input of VST instruments.
• The solo button now works on external instruments as expected.

Automation
• The function "Activate/deactivate write (read) for all tracks" now affects the Quick Controls, too.
• Read mode is now enabled when pressing the write button.
• The command "Show used automation on a selected track" no longer opens the automation of the selected track’s group channel.
• "Delete automation of selected tracks" and "Delete all automation in project" are now available for audio returns of instrument tracks.

Plug-in
• The loading time of projects using HALion 5 has been improved.
• The Phaser plug-in works now as expected.
• An issue in VST Connect SE that may render the application unreliable under OS X 10.9 has been resolved.
• Saving the project under OS X while VST Connect SE is connected to VST Connect Performer now works properly.
* Please note that this list applies to Cubase 7.5 and not every entry may apply to Cubase Artist 7.5.

Download

A detailed version history and the 7.5.20 Updaters are available here:

Cubase 7.5 downloads
Cubase Artist 7.5 downloads

Thanks for choosing Cubase!

Helge Vogt - Team Leader Product Marketing Group
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
by Helge Vogt
Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic