Search found 9 matches

Return

Re: Exporting mp3 24kHz 64kBit results in clicks

It is not a bug but rather a filter artefact, MP3 is a 20 year old standard designed to carry Radio signals over satellite and DAB connections and was originally voiced (optimised) for 90kb plus and has a sweet spot of around 128kb and was never meant to carry very low bitrate audio, these filtering artefacts increase the lower you go and when you go as low as this these kind of buzzes are frequent especially at starts and ends of files, or where there is padding or a click in the audio file (such as a record scratch).

The Fraunhofer codec included in Cubase is superior to LAME so there is no reason to use the latter in preference to the former. The reason Ogg is better in this case is that it is an evolving standard, they keep changing it, so it has a 20 years on MP3 as far as development goes and has been tested with low bit rates, but for the same reason you usually have to deliver in MP3's, it is nailed down as a standard and unchangeable so an MP3 file made on one device will work on others. Ogg meanwhile cannot guarantee that a file made today will play back correctly on old codecs which makes it unacceptable for manufacturers of consumer electronics.

The alternative is WMA, actually optimised for low bitrates and supported on almost all hardware and software players, Cubase handles that as well.

I converted a few hundred OTR shows for a friend to 32kb MP3's and I am afraid that despite what MP3 encoder I tried all showed the behaviour on some files although I could minimise it in the built in MP3 encoder by choosing a HQM and choosing a bitrate rather than a frequency rate. In the end I just had a short silence at the start and end of every file to get rid of this altogether.

I also found that some hardware MP3 players had a higher tendency to play bursts at beginning of files than most software players, so I made sure there was a short silence at the beginning of each file as well.

For those files I had already converted I found an MP3 editor that works directly on MP3 data rather than decoded audio data, that allowed me to speedily remove tiny bits of the data at the end of converted files without affecting the quality of the rest of the file.
by Reiknir
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PRICE IN US$

But we don't have 70 percent VAT here and Cubase is made in Germany so there are no duties or huge shipping costs. There must be an error somewhere else. :|

The difference is not 70%
Cubase 7.5 street price Germany is 459 Euros (Thomann)
Cubase 7.5 street price USA is 499 USD (Sweetwater) = 363 Euros + 20% VAT = 436 Euros

So the street price is approx 5% higher in Germany depending on the current VAT rate, I just used 20% since that is about average for the EU. (Portugal is higher, Lux is lower etc.)
by Reiknir
Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MR816 and windows w/o firewire interface

Expresscard, since it is a proper bus it will be more or like having a on-board Firewire. Since USB (of any spec) is a software stack is is not usable in real time audio applications for translation work like this. Thunderbolt might work, have not tried it.
by Reiknir
Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CUBASE AI 6 (VERSION 6.0.7) MOUSE ISSUE ON MAVERICKS

I'm having the same issue as well, will steinberg please do something? I'm totally stucked no being able to use cubase...and I dont want to switch to logic

The current LE version is 7, v6 is no longer being updated with the last patch being issued in July 2012, you can upgrade to Cubase 7 Essentials from AI 6 for under 40 euros and to from LE 6 for under 50 Euros, which in addition to being currently supported is much more powerful than LE/AI. Logic is considerably more expensive than that.

In addition to that the people who bought logic express 9 will not get an upgrade that works with OSX 10.9 and no upgrade pricing to either the full version of 9 or any subsequent version, they will have to start from scratch. So all in all I think it is wiser to continue on the Cubase upgrade path than jump onto Logic given recent history.
by Reiknir
Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Support for Drawing Tablets?

No, none support them in a meaningful way, nor do they really support the Pen input mode in windows (for graphic tablets and pen tablets). I do run cubase and Energy XT from time to time on a Fujitsu pen tablet because it has a daylight screen and it does work with the Pen only input but with the exception of drawing curves it is not a great way to control a sequencer, superb for working with additive synth plugins though...

The only notation program that supported pen input was from Microsoft and it worked rather well but is no longer available and not near professional standard anyway, there is an freeware experimental effects VST out there somewhere that was expressively designed for pen usage and it is a hoot to use with a pen.
by Reiknir
Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: c7.5 is absolutely ROCK SOLID

Xtigma wrote:cubase code is 30 years old?? really? i thought SX was a rewrite, or at least partial rewrite?

True, SX and Nuendo are based on Cubase for SGI IRIX that was shipped in 1997 and then ported to the Mac and a little later the PC (around 2000).
by Reiknir
Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: USB madness (a plea for a software dongle)

USB, I've often experienced a dead eLicense dongle (i.e. inactive) when the program hangs on exit.

Sounds to me like a faulty dongle (or a bad usb chip, unlikely if you get it on a few machines). Could Steinberg have had a bad batch of dongles leading to some users having the crash on exit problem? I'd swap your present one out and see. I've never seen the problem and my dongle's over ten years old. Maybe it's the new short ones.

Dirty connections, I clean all PCI and USB contacts every 3 years and have managed to revive most of the PCI/USB cards plugs that I have believed to be faulty, there are 15 years since the USB key was introduced therefore a number of old keys around that have seriusly oxidising contacts
by Reiknir
Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wrong Update Pack

You should contact Steinberg support for this query via http://www.steinberg.net/en/mysteinberg.html there is nothing the forum users can do to help you. Since you have not used the activation code you could try talking to the shop that you bought it from and see if they will exchange it for a Studio4 upgrade.
by Reiknir
Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic