Search found 31 matches

Return

Re: Roland Quad Capture Trouble

I'd say usb2, maybe usb1. I use an Octa-capture with no problem although there is a later driver for Win 8.1, not relevant here but somebody might find it useful and it is cheap to go to Win 8. Could be that the latest drivers don't cut it with Win7. Not sure if older drivers are available at the Roland sites but if you have downloaded and saved an earlier driver you could try that although I'm not sure that if you've upgraded the 1.51 firmware (on mine but could differ to yours) that it would play ball.
Can't tell if when you tried different usb ports that you reinstalled the quad TO that port or just simply changed the connector. Just tried to see how you could check for (now rare) IRQ conflicts but dammit Win8 seems to have changed the way things are done.
Maybe, if they still do the offers on new lappys, you could go up to Win 8?
by Buchanan
Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do i access the vst instruments from the new mixer?

From time to time, I think manuals will be updated. At least once I have found myself looking at info that was not there last time I looked or which had moved. Although it is acceptable to look here for that quick fix saving a half hour in the manual to explain what button to push I find a passing relationship with it helps a lot. Also helps with these misunderstandings. Maybe a heads up PM to each other will help dissipate the heat a bit and create a new friendship.
by Buchanan
Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 Grace Period old customers

Delay buying it if you have doubts as 7.06 works fine. Or buy it and use the two versions together while you explore the 7.5 and find it's bugs.
by Buchanan
Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Buchanan
Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When 7.5 bugs will be fixed?

If it works for some users then I'd ask myself "Why not for me?" Always troubleshoot your own system or have it looked at by an expert and then call software support teams before keeping the kind people of the forum baffled by greifing without giving a clue what you're on about.
Just might help YOU a lot more.
My suggestions are not orders, just the way professional businessmen approach real problems. Forums can only give quick and easy solutions mainly and are not meant for detailed exercises in telepathy. :mrgreen:
by Buchanan
Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Buchanan
Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Biggest issues remaining with Cubase 7.5?

The big gotchas are in workflow and unfinished / buggy implementation of features, ymmnv here, I'm afraid. :cry:

This is exactly why we need to rail against the SB empire.

They could equally well rail against users' buggy, badly set up, misused and inadequate equipment and their less than coherent explanations of their problems and specs. Not to mention those that say they have serious DAW problems and loss of business not even knowing where to complain properly.

"rail against the Steinberg empire..." :lol: Most "railers" don't even know where to rail or even what to rail about.
by Buchanan
Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Producers around the world

If you want to get a job DONE audio file handling is fine. However, if you just want to play around with the audio files all day trying to polish toids then Cubase is maybe not for you.
The end game is MUSIC. Nobody notices or cares about how clever the processing is. So the drummer can play the four types of paradiddle? So you've corrected his timing to the nth degree and the singers tuning from horse's ass to angels? The listener rarely notices.
I don't think it bothers the majority of users.
by Buchanan
Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Record in stop mode

Activate= you can arm the track (ready for recording) while play is stopped.
Laws of simple physics dictate that one cannot record while the "tape" is not moving, ie: recording.
A simple semantic misunderstanding? (by the manual writer / translator maybe?)
I wouldn't get anxious about it.
Now, you need any songs writing? Read the Haynes manual maybe, so we know how to fix your car? :mrgreen:
by Buchanan
Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help pls - Hide muted notes in score?

Would it be more helpful to copy tracks, say, violin 1 (already written part). Call the copy violin 1 (score), mute it. Do your playback edits on the original and your score edits on the copy. I know it's not that simple but some users like to both read the score to check while the track plays back. Really only works when you have finished the original for playback I guess and could be unwieldy for very large arrangements. Just a suggestion for a starting point for tricky scoring of a few sections where to leave the midi part that sounds good but the score looks messy so you then have a scoring part/track to tidy up visually (which would then sound awful), especially if you check it on playback.
Hope I explained that well.
by Buchanan
Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.10 discussion and questions

LOTS of other software is released with NO bugs at all. Especially Live and Reaper and Logic and Pro Tools and they all work on EVERYONE's computer just fine.
Cubase 7 sucks because it crashes on MY machine which is just PERFECT. If it doesn't crash on your machine then you're just not using enough plugins like what I do. Plus I write huge scores for movies and my clients look over my shoulder and laugh at Cubase 7 crashing. Please fix it.
I don't believe anyone has pointed these things out before.
by Buchanan
Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I contacted Steinberg- Maximize windows issue

If every forum member I've seen '+1' even one of these related issues simply picked up the phone, wrote an e-mail or even started their own ranting topic, I believe it would shift the priority list at least a bit. 100 people writing 'I'm a long time customer and this UI business is not making me happy' is far more effective than 100 people replying to every individual topic---which all basically go on about the same things over and over.

I basically agree with that except for the ranting topic. There's more than enough of them to bore Steinberg towers for weeks. They wouldn't know whether to fix the squeaky wheel or the rusty bell first. :mrgreen:
Depends what the complaints are about. Most are about really trivial things that are easily overcome by the user. They complain here because they don't know how to do it on the phone or write a letter, which would be the correct way to do things for serious problems. MOST posters here with trivial and serious problems have dismal business skills . And if you have dismal business skills you're NEVER going to convince Steinberg that you are using Cubase for anything more than vanity suites in the bedroom by ranting here (anything look LESS like a businessman than blubbing here ?) for MONTHS. If the users were more businesslike you WOULD get more issues solved and Cubase would become THE industry DAW of choice over Protools. And for a serious problem this forum is NOT for the businesslike.
Of all the forums I've seen though, this one tops the not getting things done list. Cubase is not much of a problem, there's nothing but this issue and some other ancient old stuff. It's the users. It's more of a teenage whine festival than a business forum.
by Buchanan
Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Simple mixdown volumes help!

Sorry where did I say you didn't have to leave or watch ANY headroom?
I said that you should leave good headroom for analog mastering situation.

if its going to stay in cubase sure you still need to leave some headroom.being floating point just not as much.then maybe some compression and a limit lets say that set to -2 As long as the monitoring levels is turned down how will this effect ears, speakers, headphones?

No bickering here. Sorry. Andy. I thought it might have been taken the wrong way by some and I felt it needed clarifying. Only mentioned you because that's the quote I referenced. The audio world has been maxed out by "no headroom" with digital for a long time now and it is changing apparently.
by Buchanan
Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: All insert slots should be post fader (there is youtube

Why? Been that way for decades so there must be a good reason. What are you doing wrong? :mrgreen:
by Buchanan
Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: eLicenser issue "Invisible words" (with images)

Without any other evidence I'd suspect a faulty dongle. You got thru the installation of Cubase and managed to enter the activation codes?!

Windows version single language because it was cheap? Buy cheap and you buy twice they say. Cubase isn't cheap. Hm. Strange problem though. Try googling the problem as it APPEARS not what it occurs on (ie: the dongle) and see if it's common thru, say, a graphics problem. Sample "distorted text in XXXX" program.

Also. Try changing you graphic resolution and see if it's still there. I'm pretty sure there is an optimum (best) for Cubase. With luck if you change back to the resolution you started with the system can be tricked into normality.
by Buchanan
Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pan Law for the biggest sounding mix

A good place to start for big sounding mixes is Phil Spector. But he wouldn't know about pan law as he always worked in mono.
I guess all the advice given points to "if your mix still sounds big in mono it is actually that big." VERY fine attention to detail of voice balancing and the least amount of compression you can get away with while still recording a strong fundamental signal from the instrument in the first place.
Basically, and I'll probably be proved wrong, if you record a mouse squeaking you'll have a lot on your plate making it sound like a lion. There are many ways of making it sound like a big mouse though.
Pan your strongest voices (usually the mid range; boning up on orchestral instrument typical pitching, if you work with "normal" instruments would be a good idea) in the material towards the centre, and the listener, and group all other weaker material out of it's way, either more centred or more out to the edges. I wouldn't worry too much about pan law unless, like the other contributors here, you are aiming for a specific purpose like broadcast, games or movies where the listener might have less than optimum speakers but that signal needs to get thru without artifacts or distortions being introduced at their end.
And first always ask yourself what you would do if you wanted something to sound small. Then do the opposite. :mrgreen:

And this:
And also a good arrangement. :) The "space" in a great big and wide mix is partially the arrangement. There's engineering, songwriting, and arranging (as in tonal arrangement, parts not stepping all over each other, but supplementing each other) and if you get that part wrong it will hamper everything else.

You can usually tell a relatively "poor" musical arrangement because it needs a ton of EQ to separate tracks. You can always tell a great musical arrangement because you push all the tracks up to mix and you can distinctly hear everything before you even start to mix it.
by Buchanan
Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why 7.5 and 7.5.1 is not called beta?

I think I can safely say that there are many users that do not have any "show stopping" issues as a result of these "bugs".

Care to define "show stopping?"

Specifically, how do I implement Cubase 7.5 using key commands with 4 monitors, 2 which are dedicated to full screen mixers, 1 for the project page, 3 monitors in linked mode, and 1 for Mixer 3 dedicated to groups, effects, inputs and master outs? If you know how to change focus when in full mixer mode, please let me know.

While the above isn't a "bug" it certainly has slowed my workflow well below the level of Cubase 6.5. Before anyone tells me to go back to 6.5, I could but I paid to upgrade to 7. I'm passionate about these things working because if they made these basic workflow functions work, it would be a good step forward over 6.5. And of course for myself, none of the DAW competitors come close to what I can achieve in Cubase.

Do you ever use Instrument tracks? When I mute an instrument track in the mix console the same track in the project page doesn't indicate any mute. When I mute an instrument track in the project page the corresponding track in the mix console doesn't indicate any mute. In my studio, mutes and solos are kind of of important.

I do not know of any users who do not have this mute "bug." I believe Steinberg has verified this as a real bug or issue as they call them.

Any further elaboration or explanation of other "bugs" and I risk being banned by a moderator. However discussion and verification of all kinds of Cubase 7.5 issues can be openly discussed at the Gearslutz Cubase forum.

You did of course, check it all worked together before you opened the doors...? Like a real gig. 4 monitors? We're not dealing with a toy rig then? If anyone / everyone actually knows two bits about serious software for over five minutes they'd know that glitches and bugs have to be researched, dealt with, reported and hope they're fixable. Otherwise it's just more forum blethering.
The mute bug might well have been verified but WE (and I count myself as fairly understanding of computer gubbins) just don't have a clue what the problem is at the programming end. The bug might be in the compilation software for instance... so, you mentioned it, it's gone in. Keep reminding them every so often, it'll probably get done.
Four monitors? Whew! I haven't got that many eyes. :mrgreen:
by Buchanan
Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Naming Scheme help

Okaay, see if this works. In Cubase. Go Shift+F2 and show the info line.

On your "Nexus" track or part (the bit that says "File, Description, Start, End, Length etc.) info line does it say "Nexus" under the File header?. If so then try changing the Description (which should also say "Nexus") to one which makes more sense.
See if that Exports with more sensible titling. Should look like "Nexus (Lead synth)" now?
by Buchanan
Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C7.5 - does unloading from the strip lower computer load

If it's an i7 rig or later or equivalent, I wouldn't worry too much about stressing your machine out under typical compositional / studio usage. I think you'll be rather pleased.
by Buchanan
Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why can't I record a mono vocal track?

Exactly Centralmusic. Thanks.
by Buchanan
Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is going on with Cubase 7?

First off. OBVIOUS INFORMATION for the unready. This is NOT the ISSUES forum. This is NOT the Steinberg SUPPORT desk. I suggest you visit one or the other if one is serious about having these "problems".

There is less wrong with Cubase than is wrong with the incompetent who can't get it to work like thousands of others can.
Who don't know how to complain properly or even where to complain and who mysteriously have a convenient amnesia when it comes to supplying any handy information that might help themselves like system details. Complaining here just makes you all look a bit foolish because this is a USER self-help forum. Do I have to say that s-l-o-w-l-y. A u-s-e-r selllffff hhhheeeellllppp foooorrroooom. It's not the forum where the sane moan for years and years about the SAME problem they had with the last 8 versions (that they were NEVER going to buy). The problem that bothers no one else because they have got a life.
And I have seen devs contributing here. I have seen problems addressed. I think these posts are cheeky and arrogant beyond belief. How would any of you like to be treated the same way by your "clientele"? The way so much "doesn't work" I can believe complaints about some studios must be numerous. Does one tell the "client" "Sorry but it's Cubase. It's awful!" ? :roll:
And it doesn't help with problems when helpful suggestions are brushed aside as irrelevant because they don't join in with the spurious complaint brigade.

What's going on with Cubase 7 is "not much". What's going on with some users that needs more urgent attention.
Nobody MADE any of us buy Cubase. So why buy all those latest, shiny new versions that you said you'd never bother buying from Steinberg EVER again? I'm as dim as a 40watt lightbulb and I can get Cubase working. Even Cubase 7.
by Buchanan
Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes as a professional I'm using 6.5 because is fast and solid more than other new version, I can't risk my job during the beta testing period, some people is happy of course probably their workflow is more efficient than mine, but my workflow is amazing under 6.5 not on 7.5.20, same exact workflow with same plugs, this should let steinberg programmers think about. I love the new features, I was very close to switch.....steinberg is far from 100%, Cubase 7.5.20 is around 70% imho.
+1
About at the same place I am.
Many great new features, but other core functions have become a bit more clumsy (Control Room and parts of the Mix Console).

Of corse I like the new Track Visibility (been in PT and Studio One for years).
Of corse I like the new Track Versions (been in PT and Studio One for years).
Of corse I like the new Tab To Transient (been in PT and Studio One for years).

That makes perfect sense to me. :D If you need absolute stability one should not be working with the latest version / update even. NOTHING about new versions of software of any sort is reliable, be it music, graphics or even DTP software. If one works with what is reliable you don't end up with clients upset or have crashes on deadlines. I would say that it takes about three to six months to properly evaluate any given new Cubase version. And this is from a very enthusiastic Cubase user. Bets testing? EVERTHING is a "beta" test for at least that long. There's no such thing as "finished".
by Buchanan
Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

sycophant wrote:To the lounge :arrow:

Where it should have gone 4 pages ago. Ta.
by Buchanan
Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase AI LE Elemets 7 recording

I love how they describe in that review "who" should use the software, more experienced in recording. As a Newbie, it has been perplexing but little by little, it is starting to come together.

It will come together but they are right. All DAWs will need some time spent studying before one can start creating as to a large extent they are just recorders with extras built on. They are never as easy to use as the adverts, or some on here, say they are.
by Buchanan
Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase AI LE Elemets 7 recording

Is your manual not clear on this point? I would agree with the previous answers and I think that Elements should certainly record more than one track at a time. Here is a review:
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1301152/steinberg-cubase-elements-7
which points out that audio tracks are limited to 48. Took me 10 seconds to search. You could save yourself some time.
by Buchanan
Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

More Cowbell wrote:I could pay a little more just to be able to very easy make a video and export to mov4 So many content is made for youtube etc All the pro post work is not important. Just export a video. Please.

There's software that does that you know.
by Buchanan
Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Some basic questions - i7 or Xeon E5?

It's an English site but very good, they do music specialist builds and their engineers are pretty efficient and communicative. They will be able to tell you the latest developments and qualities of recording machines.
http://www.scan.co.uk/
One of the staff posts on the Sound on Sound forum as Peter Kaine if you need a quick reference.
http://www.soundonsound.com/
by Buchanan
Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Not one '4-20' reference in the lounge today?

No one smokes weed except Dutch tourists and some guy in Ohio who apparently accidentally smoked a joint (but didn't inhale) on a Thursday he thought was the 4th of May (or coulda bin Apron, nah April. Ape Rill, Right.) when it was apparently regalised or sumpn and became the king of Holland.
No one smokes it now.

:lol:
by Buchanan
Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CrashDumps with Cubase 7.5.20

Keep this running here just in case but I suggest also enquiring at a general computing or programming forum as well. That you're having lots of crashes could mean that a simple setting in the computer would solve it. Of course it cold be something in Cubase but with a problem like this you're best off following more leads than the software.
(Now tell me it doesn't do this with Ableton Live...) My advice would still be the same.
by Buchanan
Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CrashDumps with Cubase 7.5.20

Windows 7 64Bit.

I am now running with 7.5.0 and up to now no crash dumps. 6.0.7 ran very well for several years.....

That's quite common. New versions might always need a little revisional research to see if they work with the present computer. Probably a small setting or even a Windows update can fix these things but I'd look around a bit to see if you might need to update your hardware. Maybe not all of it. More memory, new graphics card or upgrade Windows. Though that i7 should certainly be ok.
by Buchanan
Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 / 8 - 'Unlimited' Inserts

I'd like less inserts. Just clutters up the program's innards despite new powerful machines.
Sadly, if you don't understand the pre/post fader thing it's unlikely the designers will take you seriously.
Peace, brother. It's only an observation.
by Buchanan
Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic