Search found 19 matches

Return

Re: Audio spikes when ASIO Guard is enabled and mouse is mov

G-string wrote:just a stab in the dark here but are you using a usb mouse ?

I can get the audio spikes by simply selecting a track in the Project window and reselecting the tracks by toggling up and down via the up and down arrow keys. No mouse necessary to get it to happen.
by Weasel
Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Question] Does new "Instrument track 2.0" work with VST

You know, Freddie, reading your posts is equivalent to that of a drunk in a bar shouting in my ear.
Large text doesn't proportionally increase the importance of your question.

The chances of Steinberg setting off a firestorm of criticism by designing the new Instrument track interface to disenfranchise thousands of users the ability to use their VST 2.4 plug-ins is laughable at best.
by Weasel
Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Groove Agent SE4

There are two things about GA4's design could've stood a bit more refinement.

The first is the ability to drag and drop audio files onto the pads from anywhere outside of Cubase. You can already drag and drop audio files from outside Cubase onto a audio Track. So why not skip that extra step (drag audio to Cubase > Drag audio part from Cubase to GA pad) and simply drag any audio file, from anywhere, directly onto a GA pad? (GA's predecessor, the LM-4II, was able to do this).

The second is why the designers persisted with what I consider to be the limited MPC-like 16 pad paradigm. This is a design originally forced by the production cost/real estate restrictions of physical hardware. GA4 is a software GUI….something that could easily be be made to dynamically resize to accommodate up to 128 pads at once, unrestricted by the 80's synth "banking" mentality.

I'd take the convenience of monitoring and pad selection in one go, over nostalgia, any day.

That said, even without these additons, this is still an excellent improvement over its predecessor.
by Weasel
Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg Hub makes cubase crash now !

Delete the hub from the cubase package
Just to be clear for those Mac users who never delve beyond the desktop...the pathway is:

Rightclick/Cubase 7.5 > Contents > Components > hubservice.bundle

hubservice.bundle can be safely sailed into the trash. For safety/restoration, zip the component first, then trash the original.
Leave "Use Steinberg Hub" checked in Prefs/General. If crashing persists, uncheck this item.

Removing this component provides (for me, at least) 6 advantages:

• Stops the crashing...for those who have this problem.
• Restores the earlier compact C6-type Project Assistant.
• No waiting around for the Steinberg web connection to complete.
• Speeds your launch time. On my machine, this cut a full 20 seconds out of the launch period.
• Removes "Steinberg Hub" from the main menu (nothing that can't be found on Steinberg's site or your Operations Manual).
• A plus for Mac users still running 10.6.8: no disappearing main menu bar.

I wish I could remember which forum member first pointed this nugget out for credit....it's one of the best tips I've ever come across.
by Weasel
Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Looking For a Great Sounding Hammond B3/Leslie Speaker V

I should point out the B4 II was discontinued by NI in late 2009. It was a 32 bit Standalone/Plug-in package. A lot of users hoped NI would continue its development into a 64 bit version...but it was not to be.
by Weasel
Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mixer idea

I had an idea last night after working on a tune with about two dozen tracks. Yes....another "what if?" idea. It's fairly painless.
Click Me
by Weasel
Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sending MIDI Input to multiple Virtual Instruments

Thanks, but that is not really an answer to my question. Could you please re-read my question? I have them 'on'.
I think you've misinterpreted thinkingcap's answer.

Initially, when you have MIDI Sends enabled in the Inspector, all you'll get is the effects pull down (None, Arpache...etc). By "on" he means click an individual send Activate button on the upper right. When that's "on", the effect pulldown is replaced with MIDI destinations...ie: other MIDI Tracks.
by Weasel
Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Feature Request: Test Generator as a VSTi instrument

I'm not sure if I should laugh that RETROLOGUE spits out a perfect oscillator.
Anyways, have you tested other waveforms or noise?
Retrologue spits out a sine wave equal indistinguishable from the sine wave generated by Steinberg's Test Generator. The OP specifically mentioned that he wanted to play back sine waves...so that what I looked at. As a "it comes in the tin, no money spent" solution, Retrologue is a more than reasonable solution.

But if you want to know how Retrologue's other waveforms perform...

Triangle: Retrologue matches the Test Generator. A slight bit of lag at the leading and trailing edges.
Saw: Retrologue show moderate harmonic ripple at the leading and trailing edges. The Test Generator's saw has pronounced harmonic ripple throughout the waveform. This was actually pretty crappy as far as sawtooth waveforms go. Particularly out of a "test" generator.
Square: Retrologue show minimal rise/fall time lag with moderate harmonic ripple at the leading and trailing edges. The Test Generator's square wave is quite reasonable. Minimal rise/fall time lag with no discernible harmonic ripple at the leading or trailing edges.

If you don't have an outboard oscilloscope, you can use Steinberg's MultiScope to get a reasonable idea of what's going on for yourself.
by Weasel
Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reaktor and FM8 VST's Not Recognized in Cubase 7.5

You may need to trash two files in the Users/YourName/Library/Preferences/Cubase 7.5 pathway.

In case you can't see the Library folder in the above pathway, you may have to do this:

Launch Terminal, located at /Applications/Utilities.

Enter the following command at the Terminal prompt:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Once the command is executed, you can quit Terminal. The Library folder will now be visible in the Finder.

Should you ever wish to set the Library folder back to its default hidden state, simply launch Terminal and issue the following Terminal command:

chflags hidden ~/Library

Once you can get to the Cubase 7.5 preference folder, trash these two files:

Vst2xBlacklist Cubase (x86_64).xml
Vst2xBlacklist Cubase.xml

Then relaunch Cubase 7.5 (both 32 bit and 64 bit launches) and see if Reaktor and FM8 are showing in the Plug-ins menu.
If this doesn't work, try this:

Quit Cubase and go to the BootHD/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST folder and move the FM8 and Reaktor plug-ins out of the Native Instruments and/or Reaktor folder(s) to the root VST folder and relaunch Cubase. This may do the trick. If it does, you should be able to put them back into their original folders and on next launch they'll be seen.

Good luck.
by Weasel
Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Add Space Between MIDI Notes

What I want to do is select them and then add 20PPQ of 'space' between the start time of each note. So they are now not on the beat... they've increased in 'distance' from one another.
Click Me
I think this Logical Editor preset will do exactly what you ask. The "how much" value can be easily edited and the preset can be assigned to a KeyCommand
by Weasel
Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Add Space Between MIDI Notes

Hm, when I tried that it moved all events by the given amount, whereas they all need to be moved by increasing amounts relative to where they started. I wasn't sure if the notes needed to maintain their relative positions or not from Suntower's initial description. Short attention span on my part, I guess.
Both LE's do the same basic primary function (shift the note starts back) but treat the spacing differently. Two useful tools for two different results, I'd say.
by Weasel
Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone Else? Two Issues: Solo, Window Maximising

Apparently not a platform-specific set of issues. I have bumped into the solo stuff and mystery resizing issues on 3 different Macs.
by Weasel
Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A little automation help

When I look at this:
http://78cf01617e3950417f0c-edf74d1b5a4206a253d3389ccc6c1dae.r38.cf1.rackcdn.com/C7.5.png
I wish I had a little bit of graphic help to determine where I'm drawing automation nodes. I'd like to see the actual node points before I hover over the automation. I'd like them to be highly visible...like solid black instead of hollow boxes. I'd like to see a representation of the MIDI data and audio waveforms embedded in the automation lanes. And I'd like to see a finer grid when the Arrange window is somewhat zoomed out.

Something like this:
http://78cf01617e3950417f0c-edf74d1b5a4206a253d3389ccc6c1dae.r38.cf1.rackcdn.com/C5.5.png
Oh wait....we used to have this.....in Cubase 5.5.

Yet another set of useful features relegated to The Cornfield™
by Weasel
Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20: MixConsole with color shade

And... bump!
And rebuttal opinion:
ClickMe

When C7 was released, Steinberg was attempting to give a "wow" factor to the new Mixer interface.
In the earliest iterations, the gradient shading was so bad that if you fully populated and expanded the rack Strip and opened it, you could not read much of the centrally located nomenclature where the lighter gradient tones approached/matched the text color. Many were not thrilled about the "curved look" in general...unless of course, you were partial to the circa 1960's Painton, quadrant fader look.

By the release of C7.5, they backed off most of it. The only remnant left is the "Selected" fader area as pointed out in the video, which for the reasons stated therein, I'd prefer to see gone altogether. Clarity over fluff and all that.

Your first pic looks like a C7.x screenshot where the unselected fader areas still had the gradient look.
by Weasel
Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Show Output Chain - Broken Again

Must be just me experiencing this one, then.

Not particularly....

viewtopic.php?f=184&t=55097
by Weasel
Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Real Estate Management

Really? Does it have to be that big?

CLICK ME
by Weasel
Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Starting Cubase 8 from scratch - Why and How?

What he meant is that initially installing Cubase 8 will borrow preference settings from the highest installed previous version.

If you want to start from "scratch", you merely have to trash the Cubase 8 Preferences folder and re-launch Cubase 8. It will rebuild it's preferences folder anew, minus imports from earlier version preferences. For safety, don't empty the trash after doing this. Drag the old folder out of the Trash to some other safe location.

The pathway to the Cubase preferences folder on 10.8.5 is this:

Your boot HD/Users/[your name]/Library/Preferences/Cubase 8

If you can't see your User/Library folder on 10.8.5, do the following:

Method 1
In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.
In the Go To Folder dialog, type ~/Library
Click Go.

Method 2
Hold down the Alt (Option) key when using the Go menu. The user library folder is listed below the current user's home directory.

Method 3
The following method makes the user library folder permanently visible.

Launch Terminal from Mac HD > Applications > Utilities.
From within Terminal type the following command and press Return:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Enter the system administrator password, if prompted, and press Return.

Close Terminal for this change to take effect.
by Weasel
Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metronome stops working, anyone else experienced this?

This is indeed a known issue, we know about it since before we released C8 and our developers are already working on a fix. The thing is, that this appears to be a much more complex task than one might think. However, it will be fixed in a maintenance update (probably not in the first one unfortunately). Wow...I'm just floored reading that.

Seriously? A known bug before C8 was released and a fix won't be in the first maintenance dot rev? The click is a key element in any DAW production chain. Why was this not amongst the highest priority fixes?
by Weasel
Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metronome stops working, anyone else experienced this?

Luis wrote: The thing is, that this appears to be a much more complex task than one might think .
Today I got a hint at how bad this really is. After struggling for a while trying to record some new VSTi tracks, i began to tweak some of the tracks....when all of a sudden I hear the Audio click track kick in for a few beats. This continued to happen at random intervals over a half hour. This is a major deal-breaker for me. I'm afraid I've gone back to C7.5 to get initial VSTi track recording done.

This needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.
by Weasel
Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic