Search found 14 matches

Return

Project Sample Rate Reduction Test

I was working on a project with lots of VSTi’s and plugins and the old VST meter was starting to ping. For interest sake I decided to save the project under another name and reduce the sample rate in the new project from 96 to 44.1 Cubase went away and did its thing (quite clever actually – did all the SRCs to the audio files and prompted to save the original audio files and so on…). Once finished I played the tune and noticed something strange with the drums. I have a couple of instances of Groove Agent in the project and when I solo’d them I noticed they were all distorted. In fact, it appears that Groove Agent did not get the message about the sample rate conversion and continued to render at the higher sample rate (or so it seems as I cannot really confirm this). In any event Cubase did a pretty good job with overall process except for Groove Agent.

One other thing… I was reading about the seemingly endless debate about sample rates – those who assert there is no audible difference between 44.1 and anything higher (be it 96 or 192 or whatever). At my age I cannot claim ‘golden ear’ status but I have to say that even my grizzled tympanic membranes could hear a significant difference between the 44.1 project and the 96 project. Who knows, maybe there were other conversion issues of which I remain unaware but even after fixing the drums the 44.1 version sounded tinnier than the 96 version.

On the upside it was great for VST load… Dropped it by about 40%.
by cpechet1
Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

It’s the same thing every time an update is announced…

Compiled *witch* List

1. It should be free… free.. free.. free… I want it to be free… Everything should be free… free… free… Everything except me because, well, because…
2. I hate these new features…. hate… hate… hate… hate these new features… I’ll never use them and they suck anyway event though I’ve never used them and don’t know a thing about them…
3. I want the old mixer back… Give me the old mixer… Give me the old mixer… I hate the new mixer… hate… hate… hate…
4. There should be 500 different versions of Cubase… No, 1000 versions, no 100,000 versions. One made specially for me… me… me… me…
5. Cubase sucks and I hate so I’m switching to Reaper/Pro Tools/Logic/Garage Band/MS Word… Until next week when I download the update because I hate Reaper/Pro Tools/Logic/Garage Band/MS Word…
6. All software except Cubase is perfect… perfect… perfect… perfect… It all works exactly perfectly… It even works when I’m not using it… And its free free free… And I have my own version of it that they gave me for free… And did I mention its perfect?

Steinberg does a damn fine job of building ridiculously complex software which sells at a ridiculously low price.
by cpechet1
Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

REVelation

I REALLY like REVelation... Great gated 'verb for drums... Nice job!
by cpechet1
Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CMC series & Cubase 7.5

All good here too...
by cpechet1
Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Avid Artist Mix and Control - First Real Session

Just finished my first genuine session with my new Avid Mix and Control surfaces. What a revelation... They worked beautifully... The ergonomics are damn near perfect (at least for me). No glitches/issues... Perfect. After years of having worked without flying faders (or any real faders for that matter) the Avid surfaces helped me remember how great it is to use conventional old school interfaces. Besides the Mix, the Control is superb. I did 90% of what I usually do in the UI using the Control and it felt natural, organic and FAST.

I was using the CMCs before the Avid stuff and they are really good although I could never get comfortable with the FDs - The absence of a scribble pad and the ribbons never felt right to me.

I can't say enough about the Avid gear. Steinberg's Eucon implementation is terrific too. The integration is so deep and solid I cannot imagine a more complete interface. It is actually somewhat funny (ironic?) that Cubase 7.5.1 works perfectly with the controllers yet when you go to the Avid forum general rancour abounds about how poorly Eucon 3.1 works with PT11.

I know this is a gushy post but, damn, I can't help myself... Had to share the news...

Now, back to the real faders!
by cpechet1
Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

JBL LSR 308 Experience - Save Yourselves!!!

Before embarking on this little fit of peak I should acknowledge a couple of things. First I am old, so old in fact that I can tell more ‘I remember when’ stories than Pamela Anderson. Second, I am spoiled, so spoiled that I collect studio monitors for fun running the gamut from old Urei 813s to JBL 4430s and just about everything in between. What can I say? I love studio monitors. So when JBL released the M2’s I thought “… great! JBL is back in the large form-factor monitor game… I gotta get me some of these…” That is until I saw the price tag at which point I bought a bottle of Scotch instead. Fast-forward a few months and low and behold JBL had implemented the groovy wave guide tweeter assembly (derived from the M2)_in a new line of cheap home-studio speakers.

Then came the reviews… “Awesome… Great… Incredible” and a list of superlatives that would play well at an awards ceremony. Well, that was it… I called Sweetwater and they kindly shipped me a pair with their usual great (incredible actually) service and alacrity.

What can I say? Never have I received a shipment of junk so incredibly quickly and professionally.

Where to start? OK… First, one side was broken… At least in terms of the XLR jack… The phone input was fine but really? Once I got things hooked up using ¼ inch I ran some mixes and I was shocked. Not at the mixes… They are OK… But at the ridiculous, and I mean RIDICULOUS amount of bottom-end being pumped out of these things. Even after adjusting the low-end gain using the switch on the back I could not believe how much low end junk was pouring out. And not useful low end but Jack Daniels vomit-sized gobs of low end which you couldn't EQ if your life depended on it (snooty alert – I have a tuned room). Now, I know folks love bass and why not, who doesn't? But bass would just as soon kill you as date you and these things could be hired as extras on a Piranha movie. This bass response was being generated in a free field several feet from all room surfaces (I put placed them where I usually have the NS-10s). To be fair I thought I should move them around the space to see where they could be made to sound passable. I could not find any location in the room where I could stand listening to them for more than a couple of minutes.

Next, the must-vaunted waveguide tweeter and its ‘legendary’ imaging. I’ll keep this short. NS-10s image better than these do. Not just a little better but a lot.

Build quality… I know these are cheap so its not fair to compare build quality to a serious monitor. I would have been more sanguine if the one side actually worked with the XLR input but never mind. All I can say is this… These are cheap crappy assemblies using vinyl over some form of light-weight casing (to reduce shipping costs of course) and my bet is that they will be dying left right and center like t-shirt salesmen at the Battle of Gettysburg

I know I'm being a jerk about all this. Most folks have never heard great monitors in a good room so I guess to that community I apologize for being what Spiro Agnew might have called an ‘effete snob’. But sorry, once you have had a great monitor experience there is no going back and these little JBLs are like going back to Magna Carta. I give these a two out of ten.

I guess I should not be applying at Harmon for a job...
by cpechet1
Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Compilation of Eucon Information

I spent a little time today on the forum gathering up posts about Eucon and the Avid Artist Series controllers. I wanted to keep a list of all the tips/tricks/issues in one place. I posted these at my website (again, mainly for my own use) but if the information is of use to others that's even better. I did my best to make everything anonymous so if you have posted about Eucon and you are concerned about privacy/propriety/other please let me know and I can make sure your post makes no reference to your identity.

Steinberg - Most of this info comes from the Cubase forum... I am not sure if what I have done is actually permissible. I checked the terms of service and did not see anything explicit about re-using forum information. If my actions are not allowed please let me know and I will remove the information from my site.

The data is presented in a textual format with no additional formatting. You can use the browser search to find specific words.

You can check out the info at http://www.vintagebin.ca
by cpechet1
Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Compilation of Eucon Information

Thanks for doing this... Nice job! Nice production too.. Maybe a good follow-up might be editing inserts/eq?
by cpechet1
Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Does cubase 7.5 sound better or am I crazy??

Finally.. I can blame Studer and Neve.... Now THAT takes a load off...
by cpechet1
Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Compilation of Eucon Information

Thanks for this... Handy feature...
by cpechet1
Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Arturia to be Acquired!!

Look at what I found on Wikiprang!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Pratt Whitney III and I represent the private equity firm Oink Inc.

First, let me congratulate you on your novel and enterprising business model. It is so rare to discover a company whose products are both unusable and un-purchasable and yet ensure the customer’s credit card is debited by a specific sum.

This is what we, in our business, call disruptive. Your approach is precisely what we are looking for.

Our prerequisites to first investing in and later dismantling a company are onerous and our due diligence processes are derived from best practices originally developed by Enron.

We are happy to conclude your company either meets or exceeds all expectations in this regard and, therefore, we are delighted to propose this Letter of Understanding as an initial basis for later negotiations which shall include but not be limited to matters pertaining to:

1. Acquiring a controlling interest in your Company
2. Determining the preferred ordinance to be used by the firing squad in executing the technical, QA and sales staff.
3. Ensuring the smooth and elegant flow of revenue without providing goods or services to customers in return

We at Oink Inc. believe yours is the model of the future and while many technology companies match Arturia in terms of poor quality of goods and technical support you have set a higher standard by perfecting the business process by not actually shipping anything at all.

While speculating about the method by which Arturia developed this revolutionary business process we could only conclude its origins may be found in that other work of historic art whereby the French government ensured it would once again be at war with Germany twenty-odd year later by instituting the Treat of Versailles. We appreciate that this is hard to beat but in your own way you have achieved similar results at least to the extent that we are confident your customer base will similarly revolt at which point we can sell them weapons instead (please refer to our recent acquisition of the Bushehr reactor in Iran… good deal).

Vive la France!!
by cpechet1
Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who says there's no money in the music business...

My problem is not how much money I make from my tunes but how much I have to pay other people to listen to them.
by cpechet1
Sat May 10, 2014 12:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: DDR 4 vs DDR 3

I'm no expert but its hard to imagine that a latency difference of one or two nanoseconds will make any difference in terms of overall daw performance, especially when clock and bus speeds are so much higher which improves performance for large data transfers. My understanding is that smaller chunks of data transfer may suffer from higher latency but large chunks will not be impacted.
by cpechet1
Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic