Search found 14 matches

Return

Re: Any plugs to remove acoustic guitar string squeaks?

The de-esser that comes with Cubase does a great job. Just play with it. I use it for this purpose. It actually is a magic bullet.
by Early21
Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's time for the annual thread to the admins...

Hi Glyn. Hope you'll participate in the musical creations end of it again. All of your commentary was much appreciated, and your contributions were always stimulating. Glad you are back.
by Early21
Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mastering

I wrote this long reply, and it didn't get posted for some reason. Well, it was probably more than you wanted to know anyway.

I master right in Cubase right in the project. The PC is powerful enough enough that this works. I can, if I want, go tweak something in the mix that affects the mastering. If I'm making a CD, I use Wavelab, although no effects, just the organization and administration.

On my master bus, I first put a Cubase compressor, set for mild mastering compression. I tweak it to ensure that I don't compress by more than 2-3 decibels. This is the first place where the instruments interact dynamically. In fact, I do this during mixing. Gives it a little cohesiveness.

On the second slot, I put an amp simulator to get a little warm distortion. I am using TLS_Saturated Driver which is free.

Then I go to Ozone. I used to use the Cubase plugins for this. What I am trying to do is: 1) equalize the whole thing 2) stereo widening, and maybe harmonic excitation 3) loudness 4) dithering (because I'm recording at 24 bit).

For equalizing, you could just use the Cubase 4-way equalizer. The aim is to compare your mix to your favorite reference mixes. Those are your favorite albums/recordings in your genre. For the stuff I do, which is fusion-y jazz stuff, I find that the low mids are always muddy and need to be reduced, and the highs (7000) need to be raised a couple of dB. Probably a consequence of using guitars and keyboards.

For stereo widening and harmonic excitation, Cubase has some plugins that I never really got to work well, but I do like what you get in Ozone. This is to taste, and basically, when you like it, dial it back a notch to be conservative.

For loudness, there are two things. Multi-band compression brings the volume up by frequency band, and can really have an effect on the equalization. This is a difficult one, and you have to balance your tweaks here with what you've done in the equalization stage. Some would say just skip this and effect the changes elsewhere. Cubase has MBC, and I would just say it's difficult to understand and control. But I'd say that about Ozone too. I'm still learning.

The second loudness thing is a maximizer. Cubase has one, which I think works pretty well. The ones in Ozone are more sophisticated, I think. You really can't tell what Cubase is doing, other than what you hear, but you have a better shot at seeing/hearing what Ozone is doing. If your mix had interesting dynamics beforehand, you should be able to make it louder (almost as loud as your reference recordings) without killing those dynamics. If your recording was very flat from beginning to end, neither will help.

Dithering is the standard last process, and you can read about it on the internets. Cubase gives you a plugin. You should be recording at 24 bits.

To check the final recording, I listen on all systems available. All the headphones you own, all the cars you own, laptops you own, oh, also your monitors. Always comparing with the reference recordings you love so much. I sit in my car and take notes.

To hear my results, listen to my album in my signature.
by Early21
Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 432 Hz tuning?

Well, most people should be able to hear the difference, I think. But 440 should definitely be better because it is evenly divisible by 11, and that's what Nigel Tufnel's amp goes up to.
by Early21
Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: All Of Space: Systole (acoustic song)

Really nice. Thanks for sharing it. Good song, well played and sung. I liked the way you used google maps in the video.
by Early21
Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase iC Pro for Android

I'd really love to see this in action actually, someone using it in a real situation. I can't even imagine how this could be useful or even practical for me and the way I work but obviously for some it's a valuable tool. I had similar issues with a control surface I once owned... it was just cumbersome and awkward for me, just another gadget that took my hand away from the mouse it was on to perform a task that I could in fact have done more quickly while my hand was still on the mouse.

Currently I do everything with wireless mouse and keyboard so I'm quite interested to see how people integrate these things into their workflows.

8-)
I'm with Ian on this... a wireless mouse is already as much remote as I need.
by Early21
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creating a CD

As Zibin says, if you're just wanting to burn a CD on your computer, you can export as 16-bit wav files. Windows Media burns a CD easily, if you're on Windows.

There are specialized tools for red book standard. Wavelab is one of them.

Lots of us amateurs do our own "mastering" using Cubase. It's not a simple subject for a single post, but there are many resources online about it. In my case, I'm using the Ozone plugin from iZotope. But there are plugins supplied with Cubase that cover it as well. You would put them on the master buss. The aim is to lightly compress, final equalization, maybe a little amp distortion simulation, and loudness. The cubase loudness plugin is called Maximizer. Some also use multi-band compression (also in Cubase) and some are violently against it! MBC is difficult to use.

Find a guide from Ozone that explains a lot even if you don't use Ozone:
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/support.asp
by Early21
Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Easy Mastering Guide

Here's what I would suggest. First of all, don't start with an MP3 file. In fact, you don't have to leave Cubase with the original. Set your buffer size up high (say 1024) so you don't run into ASIO issues. If you're going to use the tools that Cubase gives you, here is what I would do. I'm assuming you're doing some rock something or other.
1. On the first insert slot of the output bus, put the Cubase compressor. Pick the "light master" preset. Now play the song, and watch the amount of gain reduction you are getting. Adjust the threshold until the most you see is about -2db. This will smooth it out just a little bit.
2. On the second slot, you could use some sort of amplifier simulation plugin. Cubase comes with DaTube, but I don't use that one, using instead a free one I got from the internet somewhere. The idea is to pick a mild "warming" preset to add a little bit of distortion.
3. On the third slot, you could use the stereo enhancer if you like the way it sounds. The cubase plugin has a "light master" preset. Be careful, it tends to change the overall eq balance. I used to use it, but found that while it makes it sound wider, it also sort of wipes out your stereo placement, so what I do instead is use mono delays on specific instruments moved to the other side of the stereo field. But that's a longer discussion.
4. On the fourth, maybe put the 10-band equalizer. I think slots 3 and 4 could be switched. Others may have strong thoughts about the right order. Anyway, what you want to do here is do some a/b comparison with some reference track or two that you think sound anything like what you wish your track would sound like. Then you can judge whether there's enough or too much bass, mids, highs, and so forth. You could also just do this in the four-band parametric equalizer built in to the bus, if you like.
5. Next, you can insert the Maximizer. Leave the output at 0, and turn the optimize knob until it's loud enough. Not too much! I think it defaults to 25. Again, do a/b with your reference tracks, and don't try to be as loud as they are because they have better plugins than you do! But make it somewhat louder. If you put too much on, you're ears will get tired of it. Try to keep some dynamics in place. Hopefully there were some dynamics in your song originally.
6. Last, assuming you recorded in 24-bit, put the UV22HR plug in the 8th slot, and have it reduce to 16 bits.

Just some thoughts to get you started - others may have strong views. After you mess around with this stuff for a while, you can just throw it all out and buy ozone!
by Early21
Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Personal Quest. - is it worth continually upgrading your

I didn't build my own -- I bought a stock HP desktop computer 3 years ago with two drives, super fast quad processor (950), lots of memory, firewire ports, etc. Running Windows 7 64-bit. Internet, email, etc, don't even register. Cubase is my heaviest load, but it doesn't really stress the system usually no matter what I throw at it. Native Instruments Studio Drummer is the biggest hog (much worse than Superior Drummer for example), but I can cope with it (per Steinberg's recommendation, turned off Hyperthreading, and that did help with Studio Drummer).

I'm hoping to stick with this for a while. Not much tuning required. Cubase (6.07) never crashes, performance is great for what I'm doing, and nothing else is even close to burdening the system.

I mean, it's gotten to the point where the computer and software are no longer an excuse!! Honestly, it's what we were all hoping for years ago.
by Early21
Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tune Up Utilities

Which tune-up utilities are you talking about?
by Early21
Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tune Up Utilities

I am not familiar with that particular tuneup utility, but I have always been wary of what these tools were doing in general. I know how to clean up my own space, Windows 7 now defrags in the background without affecting performance, and I want no software touching my performance settings. The only thing I run once in a while is EasyCleaner, a free utility to eliminate bad registry errors, and to be honest, I'm not sure this is really necessary any more in Windows 7, but it seems to do no harm.

Anyway, sounds like you're getting it sorted out. Maybe someone who knows this AVG tool will comment.

Good luck.
by Early21
Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Album #14

Ian, just listened from front to back. What a cool album. I'm personally on my number one album! 14 is amazing. I think I've been here a while, and I may be in no position to say, but I think they've gotten better and better over the years. Congratulations to you, and don't stop! Overall sound is balanced from beginning to end.
by Early21
Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Level 44

A lot of credit for making this survive! Love your guitar playing. Does sound like it's from another era, though. Limitations of 4-track. Amazing what you were able to do with it.
by Early21
Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is anybody here from the good old days? (yrs2000-2005)

I've been here a long time, although not nearly as active as many others. Probably late 90's onward, since I got my first Cubase in '98 or '99. I agree, there were an enormous number of interesting and crazy posts, as well as some fabulous music. I remember Hippo (guy was enormously knowledgeable), Paul Woodlock (another very knowledgeable guy, although I guess he had a few run-ins), Nerg (wonderful drummer with a lot of good music posts), Uncle Grusom was very active then (still is here now and then; some of the best musical posts of all time), Lenny Lee (here rarely now, but one of the best musicians we had), Jet (left us not so long ago to tend to his wife - many incredible albums posted here), Neil (the guy with the finger injury - lots of good playing, advice all the time that helped me, reincarnated multiple times, may still be here using some name I don't recognize, but thanks Neil), Maury is here forever (but I can't remember hearing any of his stuff), Steve (Plectrumboy - I can remember only one music post which revealed that he could play up a storm), HowlingUlf, Sherz, Jeff Hayat, Fooloman, ZapAxe (what happened?), Prism, Twilightsong, Woodcrest, JL, Kenny, anyway, lots of influences, plus invaluable advice, and I know I don't remember everyone. Oh Phil D. He was always the first guy to comment on a new piece, and he was here for a while on the new forum, but disappeared. And John Reid was extremely helpful in the beginning.

Does anybody remember Ghost? Lots of entertainment there.

I don't mean to mention everyone who ever helped me. So many people. Another guy I want to know what happened to... BlueBob. Many more contributors I could mention.
by Early21
Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic