Search found 8 matches

Return

[Tip of the day] Tempo map from rotten audio file

I'm a little impressed what Cubase can do today! 8-)

I have this old cassette-recording I wanted to "snatch" the guitar solo from, because it's worth a better fate.
It's just me and a friend but I had this plan for ages to rerecord the silly song and the solo has to be note for note perfect so ... haha! I brought it onto myself :mrgreen:
I want to do it as exact as possible so I need to practice a little and I needed to loop a section at a time.
I thought I just use the tempo detection thingie but alas the tape was just a mess!!!
All bass and thunder synth pads and heavy guitars and almost no drums ... very old tape ... VERY OLD!
what to do?
I have tried this before but this seemed to be to far gone but it's worth a try.
What I did was I had the original audio track and then I duplicated it and muted the original.
Then I proceeded to heavily EQ the copy track to get rid all the noises that distracted Cubase while detecting the tempo.
I ended up with a "curve from hell" with two sharp peeks, on around 100hz and the other at 5kHz.
The rest of the curve was lying flat at the bottom almost of the window and the sound was HORRID!!!
*pf tz pf tz pf tz pf tz pf tz pf tz * but that's what I was after.
Then I used the tempo detection tool and ... voilà!!! IT WORKED! 8-) :lol:

I unmuted the original track and muted the EQed copy and now I have a workable tempotrack.
I can loop any bar and practice all I want until I have it down exactly as I want it.
Mission accomplished!
by HowlingUlf
Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sound of Humanity - Typhoon Haiyan

To anyone interested: I'm going to try to put together an instrumental track and release it on the Facebook page as a show of support for those impacted by Haiyan. I haven't yet heard of any relief efforts large enough to justify the effort it would take us to put together an album, but if I do that may change.

As a matter of reference for comparison's sake, Haiyan is the most powerful storms ever recorded. It exceeded the maximum value on the 8.0 on the force scale with sustained winds 190 mph (305 km/h) and gusts of 230 mph (370 km/h). Obviously, the maximum on the scale wasn't dictated by physics but instead on the highest amount of force observable via airplane (or maybe it is satellite).

If anyone else would like to donate a track, let me know in this thread and, if you aren't already, I'll add you to the private Facebook group for collaborators to continue the discussion there.
by foolomon
Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sound of Humanity - Typhoon Haiyan

And my tune is now uploaded. :)

Nature took its course. :lol:
by NorthWood MediaWorks
Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stuck! [plus link to what I've done so far]

You are off to a good start!

Just a thought...

this is very mechanical...unbolt a song, take it apart Take and listen to your fav, Beethoven's 9th , listen to what he is doing and take notes;
1. how many times is the melodic phrase repeated, what new thing is introduced each time (loudness, instruments, new notes, less notes, timing, etc. how many measures ie. 1234,1234,1234)
2. Chorus;( or the new different type of music inserted into the piece) take notes; what's going on, does it repeat, instruments, tempo, loudness, etc. how many measures
3. 2nd melody, what's going on here?

Song Structure: A,B,C,B,A,A or what ever.
(A=primary melody, B=Chorus, C= 2nd melody, etc.)

There are common structures that tend to make music comfortable to listeners by meeting their subconscious expectations...If you unravel Beethoven's 9th this way, you will have a greater understanding of music. Then apply the lessons to your music. Beethoven was a genius, his music was simple and accessible by all, yet so complex, it is hard to imagine how he felt and put together all the nuances to make such great music.

Hope this helps in some way.
John
by JSW
Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Stars and Ratings?

I must have missed the fine print along the line, so....

What are the Stars and Ratings located in the Thread Title block all about? (on the forum)
by JSW
Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Survey suggest Steinberg considering subscription model

I am more than prepared to "freeze" and no longer move forward if a subscription-based license happens.

Arguments can be made to how the license is now a virtual subscription, but it is not. My Steinberg licenses, if I bailed right now, will still be able to used right now till the day I die without having to fork over another cent.
My biggest gripe about a subscription:

#1: I refuse to be on the cutting edge due to reliability.
#2: I want to retain the licenses I pay for.

I am skipping Cubase 7 all together. Why should I pay for it or any other version when I will never use it?

I give the community a lot of kudos for adopting new releases and reporting all the problems. That is awesome, their choice, their money and to do what they want to do with it. It is not for me though I used to be that way.

I am a very easy-going guy and apologies if I seem negative. I am just putting my foot down on this. I will not follow Steinberg into a subscription-based licensing model. Cubase 6.5 and I can make a damn good record, do VO, ADR and sound design like the 24-track tape machine and rack gear I used for a decade. 6.5, it may be you and me for the long-haul.
by Woodcrest Studio
Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Foodstock 2014

I'm already volunteering Glyn's song Hunger from the Musicians for Haiti precursor to Sound of Humanity because it's so damn appropriate.
by foolomon
Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mental barriers to making music

At 47, this is the 1st time you've felt this way?

I've taken many breaks over the years...from days, weeks, up to 10 years after ending my performing years.
by SYNC
Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic