Search found 18 matches

Return

Re: POLL: Clicking and fiddling in the new mixer.

Headlands,

I don't want to quibble. I'm not slamming you personally. I respect your motives, and I have appreciated your posts. Honest. Please don't out-of-context micro analyze my comment. I respect you, and the poll is not valid, and that doesn't mean I respect you less. I apologize for any disrespect you felt… it was not intentional. I was responding to someone else; I can see how you could have experienced it as a personal slam, and I'm sorry for that. My reason for even bringing it up is because there has been so much vociferous brandishing of the poll's results as if they were of empirical value, and because of the wording (which is all anybody has to work with in experimental design).

I was talking, in that part of my response, about the poll, not the mixer/CR features. Believe me, I got some really bad grades early on in my experimental design class, and grew to understand and love it (not bad grades) so I know of what I speak!

I did not vote in the poll, for all the reasons I presented in my earlier post, and I didn't want to be part of the scrum. I know your motives were good. I also believe this is a discussion worth having. I wish that the "poll" part of it weren't there, because there's no reason for it. We all know issues exist. As I wrote earlier, I'm really looking forward to key commands and EuCon integration and all sorts of things for the new mixer and CR. There's much more for it to do, and that takes actions one way or another. I'd like the mixer to work better with workspaces.

There are things to talk about. Sounds like you and I, and any number of other reasonable Nuendo users have a lot to contribute, perspective-wise to this conversation.

Respectfully!
Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you recommend upgrading to Windows 8?

Oh, no. We haven't had a platform flame war here in a long time. Please don't start one now.

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo 5.5.6 Continually Crashing and DAW Freezing

Hate to say this… but you should start by making double-sure every one of your drivers (audio, midi devices, etc) are appropriately selected and up-to-date, and, if they are, trash your prefs.

Save as much as you can, shortcuts and setup-wise as presets (they'll be saved as separate xmls). The major pain there is that if you've changed your meter colors they'll have to (in my case, anyway) have to be rebuilt.

Then go to your Home Account/Library/Preferences folder, and take "Defaults.xml" out. Copy it to the desktop. Restart and see if you still have the problem. If so, it's not the prefs, and you can replace the one Nuendo will automatically regenerate with your old one.

I'm running DropBox with no issues. I've had some trouble with UAD-2 (I use a Satellite), but those issues had more to do with losing connection with the device; that's largely (though not completely) stopped since I've gone back to 32-bit.

Housekeeping practices that have made a noticeable difference in cooperation between my UAD-2 stuff and Nuendo: running Onyx, and most notably, running DiskWarrior.

FWIW, I'm on Mountain Lion. I'm not saying you should update, but it is a difference between our systems…and there's always the chance that one of your drivers is not fully happy with 10.7. So many variables, so little time… but these are the things I'd check first.

Good luck,

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI / Audio Channel Combo

Have you tried making an "instrument track"?

Chewy.
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multiple sequences in one session

I see what you mean, gph.

I stopped working regularly with Performer about two years ago, and I'm dismayed at how quickly the terminology as vanished from what's left of my mind.

Our Clip Packages are more like their Clippings (if I remember THAT right).

I agree with you. Chunks are a great Performer feature. I'm thinking maybe its greatest asset. Though I did get stung once or twice when one messed up chunk made it so a reel's worth of cues wouldn't open. I hear it's better now.

A lot more convenient than working with multiple projects at once-- consolidated media locations, no distracting idle windows, etc.

I'd love to have that sort of functionality or something similar in Nuendo.

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: N5.5.6 for Mac 64bit?

Highlight the application in the finder. Hit Command-i to get the info box. Check the 64-bit box. Voila.

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Storing Preferences - Where's the file?

For Mac:

Home directory/library/preferences/Nuendo6/

(You have to hold down the option key from the "GO" menu to get to the library--it's otherwise hidden)

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Problem with Kensington EXPERT mouse

Check your prefs-- in Editing/Tools is the "Pop Up Toolbox on Right Click" option checked?

Good luck,

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: N 6.0.7 64 bit crashing on exit

Ed Doll wrote:We are currently working on this issue and possibly found a fix for the crash on exit.

This is good news. Thank you, Ed. (Sooner than later would be good!) :)

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [ISSUE] Imposible to load more than one 64 bits vsti

Rav,

This is absolutely none of my business, nor do I know anything about it specifically-- but there were a couple of Windows-based Tango users on here a while ago having trouble with N6-- until Smart AV updated the Tango software (or maybe firmware-- I really don't know). Reports afterward were that it worked. Is your Tango up to date?

Just a thought,

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Displaying eventnames in the projectwindow

I would love to have this as an option. Especially since the track name view is so limited-- when delivery spec requires a long prefix, the ending just disappears and scrolling to the start point in order to view, or clicking the file so it shows in the info line is a pain.

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Sun May 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo 6.5?

Thanks Chewy for the answer. Should I upgrade my system to 16 GB of RAM and limit my plugins to certain brands or should I save the money for a new Mac Pro?

Antonio… I really don't know. In my case , I'm holding off on the new Mac Pro (and Mavericks) for the indefinite future-- this old 2008 tower that I got for $1k is doing me just fine, and I don't look forward to the expense of investing in new equipment to make my UAD stuff work (meaning either a Thunderbolt->PCIe chassis or an Apollo).

Were I in your situation I'd definitely go for the RAM, and completely troubleshoot my plugins to ensure one of them isn't at the root of crashing. Also… if there's ANY possibility of your having a bad RAM module-- look into that. Bad RAM can be really hard to track, and reveals itself in all sorts of inconvenient ways. Inexplicable crashes being one of them.

Like you, I get the "video service unavailable" thing every once in a while, and that infernal EuCon crash on exit. But other than that, my Nuendo has been really consistent. And those aren't problems that are going to be solved by a new system.

I haven't seen anything thus far to make, for me , a switch to one of the new Mac Pros very attractive at all.

That's my perspective!

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Sat May 24, 2014 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo 6.5?

Antonio…

I'm going just a little OT… but responding to your last comment. In MY experience, your Mac ought to be absolutely capable of running just fine, outside of those extraordinarily annoying EuCon crashes you identified so long ago, and we've all been experiencing.

You and I have an almost identical computer; mine's a little faster (3.2gHz). But I can't remember the last time mine crashed, and I use it with fairly heavy track counts (not as quite big as yours, template-wise, but they do get quite large) and serious plugin loads.

Looking at your specs, the first thing that jumps out is that you have only 8G of RAM-- I often ran out of memory ( identified by random crashes) under those conditions. First thing I'd do is upgrade to 16, at least, for the work you describe.

Then… as you know, one funky plugin can sour the whole system. I've sidestepped that one by going almost entirely Steinberg, UAD, NI and iZotope, but of course, that's just me.

I'm just saying this because, despite the standard operational annoyances (EuCon, AAF) which are apparently being addressed, I'm having no systemic issues, and I'm hoping these details might be helpful in your own system assessment.

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Sat May 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg hub coming to Nuendo...

I do see the humor in myself. I smiled when I read your post….
...Personally, this "issue" would be placed far down the list of things I consider a problem. And since this is a forum, I think it's OK to think that, right?

Still smiling.

Nice, non-reactive answer! I, for one, would like to see more of that around here.

There's a lot of hyperbole flying about something nobody's even seen yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how the hub is actually implemented in Nuendo vs Cubase. And how much of the sky is actually falling. I suspect I will use it, and am not afraid of being judged by potentially horrified clients. If they are here when I boot up, and they get freaked out/platform-ultimatum demanding/ insist that I dress up in a Star Trek uniform with pointy sideburns, I'll either talk them down or send them to someone I don't like.

In the meantime, as the guy who posted the original FR/bug report for a manageable recent documents list here some years ago, I'm mostly just glad the feature's been addressed. Finally!

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UAD Fairchild Mono Plug Ins

What they've said is that in Cubase and Nuendo, using a plugin's stereo version on a mono track used the same resources as using a mono version, and that the mono versions were included for DAWs where that wasn't the case. Logic was the perennial example. Don't know if that's still true.

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audio Mixdown Problem

I've had that happen with a failing hard drive.

Good luck!

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to make quicktimes quickly and easily

As always, with this long-standing feature request, +1

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg hub coming to Nuendo...

For what it's worth:

I feel reasonably (at least functionally) intelligent, and am not insulted by the hub. If I felt insulted or embarrassed by its implementation I'd likely take advantage of my reasonably functional intelligence and just turn it off.

:D

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic