Search found 6 matches

Return

Re: How do I set the gain on MR816 to correspond to unity ga

I wouldn't get too het up over mic pre's to be honest, unless you're driving them for a particular sound most 'decent' pre's ( and that's most pre's theses days) are fine.

The MR/UR pre's have good history coming from Yamaha. Remember when the O2R came out 20 years ago Roger Nichols did a remix on a steely Dan record he'd done and said the O2R sounded better. hour Glass by James Taylor was recorded using an O2R and that's one hell of a great sounding record.

MC
by Norbury Brook
Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

sorry if this has already been done;

Bounce in Place Macro; very useful

http://www.cubasetutorial.net/category/ ... -in-place/

MC
by Norbury Brook
Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SKI causes fatal crashes

Guys, this is a showstopper and so having to wait 6 months for a fix is unreasonable, especially as it only punishes people who have invested in Steinberg own hardware!

A hot fix patch in this case would have been the way forward.

MC
by Norbury Brook
Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pan Law for the biggest sounding mix

I would say, unless you're an experienced mix engineer stay well away from any kind of Stereo enhancement.
Those things can do more harm than good in inexperienced hands.
If needed let your mastering engineer widen your mixes.
But experience starts somewhere, and experimenting while simultaneously seeking mentoring is a fast track to becoming experienced. After all, mastering engineers started with no experience.

OK, you seem to disagree with everything I say, fine, but I'm trying, as are you to help the OP and everyone else who reads this thread.

I'll explain my statement: If the OP learns to make his mix sound wider/ better by NOT using stereo enhancement then he will have learned a valuable set of skills that will make him a better mixer in the long run. He/she will then be in a better position to use stereo enhancement if still needed.

I would say the same about using maximisers/limiters and mono testing.

Using these things from the get go as a lot of inexperienced mixers do is like running before you can walk.

I'll put this into perspective by saying I've been doing this for 30 years and have learned a lot on the way, I'm still learning and happily passing on what I've learned from working with Grammy award winning producers/engineers/musicians hands on, NOT from reading books or theory.

Mr Patanjali may I ask how long you've been a professional mix engineer/Producer/musician? I'm just curious as to your credentials.

MC
by Norbury Brook
Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A good mix starts with (not in any order)good musicians, good song, good engineering ,good room.

If you've got those then your mix will be easy. If it's recorded well, with good musicians playing together in a good room then it will have a natural 3'D depth that's hard to replicate when layering in a project studio.

Also good musicians self balance: I spent 20 years working with Mark Knopfler and his whole studio thing was; if things are working well then the faders should just be level on the mixing board, no or very little automation as it's not needed when you've got great musicians/songs/arrangements.

All that said, musical genre's vary greatly and if you're into EDM for example then there's no such thing as the band and therefore you'd have to take a different approach, and usually people who mix EDM generally aren't mixing country records :)

So my point:

Your mix starts the very beginning you start recording.

MC
by Norbury Brook
Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

First and foremost, I object to being referred to as a prat. At no point did I insult you, I just asked what your recording credentials were,an honest question in an internet forum as you seems to be dismissing everything I said.

Everything I've said in this thread you've argued with and in the end I felt it pertinent to ask where you're coming from?

My answers are not 'half baked' as you say and I stand by them all. I do however object to your insults.

My points like; don't use stereo enhancers might seem vague, because they don't give a quick fix to a solution, quite often there are no quick fixes. My points about your mix starting the moment you put up a mic to record or play a note , aren't quick fixes either , however they are tried and tested methods most of the people I've worked with adhere to. I'm not in a position to listen to people mixes here and give dedicated advice, I haven't got the time. I have the odd minute in the day to try and help the best I can, something I've been doing on these forums for 15 years.

In all that time I've never insulted anyone or not tried my best to pass on the valuable knowledge I've gained as someone lucky enough to have been successful in this business.

MC
by Norbury Brook
Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic