Search found 12 matches

Return

Re: Working with Automation. can it be fast as in PT?

For the 100 millionth time: Nuendo needs a simple way for object oriented (clip based) real time EQ!
by Oliver.Lucas
Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Working with Automation. can it be fast as in PT?

A couple of things which will speed this process up.

- Open your automation panel and under settings make sure reveal parameter on write and show waveform data on tracks is enabled. This means that any parameter that is written will be revealed in automation lanes without having to search through and you can also see your waveform data underneath the automation.

- If you want to "draw" a quick volume change over the section you can use the line tool rather than the pencil tool which will create the 4 automation points.

- You can quickly use the info line to set automation data. When entering numbers you can either use enter for relative change or ctrl + enter for absolute change. This makes it very easy for example to rubber band some automation points and either adjust them relative to each other or set them all to a specific value.
by likelystory
Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Storing Preferences - Where's the file?

For PC:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg

You can also look in the start menu where the program was installed and you'll find a shortcut which takes you there.
by likelystory
Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Storing Preferences - Where's the file?

For Mac:

Home directory/library/preferences/Nuendo6/

(You have to hold down the option key from the "GO" menu to get to the library--it's otherwise hidden)

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Problem with Kensington EXPERT mouse

Check your prefs-- in Editing/Tools is the "Pop Up Toolbox on Right Click" option checked?

Good luck,

Chewy
by Chewy Papadopoulos
Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo 6.5?

I'm so tired of the whole NEK - Cubase Music Tools for Nuendo story, that I almost have to puke.

For Steinberg to make such a fuzz, of what should've been nothing, I really don't get it :roll:
by iBM
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo record performance vs. PT

Hello,

I have some results that have solved our issue but still reveal the inefficiency in Nuendo for recording.

After several anecdotal and strange reports from operators I tested the following -
13 - Toshiba 500GB
4 - Toshiba 1TB
2 - Toshiba 2TB
4 - Seagate 7200.14
4 - Seagate 7200.12
2 - Seagate 7200.11
2 - Hitachi 2010 build date
2 - WD Black
2 - WD Blue
2 - OWC SSD 6Gb
3 - pcie flash

Systems tested -
MacPro tower OS10.6.8
MacPro tower OS10.8.5
2 - MacMini 2013 quad OS10.8.5 in Sonnet pcie chassis
MacMini 2013 quad OS10.8.5 in Magma pcie chassis
MacBookPro retina OS10.9.x
MacBookPro 2013 OS10.8.5
MacBookPro 2011 OS10.6.8

Interfaces tested -
Internal Sata where available
eSata where available
USB3 on all systems
Firewire on all systems

Test conditions - any interface available on a system was used for any drive available on that system. Most systems had all interfaces available.
A variety of enclosures were tested, it was verified that a particular brand was good, with a good drive performs well.
Each drive was tested multiple times to verify repeatability.
Nuendo 5.5.5, 5.5.6, 6.something, Logic Pro X.something, and ProTools 10.3.8/HDX2 were all tested.

Weird indeed.
The same model drives varied substantially in performance.
The Toshibas exhibited the worst performance, rarely succeeding above 70 tracks in Nuendo.
The Seagate 7200.x were fine with 128 tracks but oddly the dot12s performed a bit better than the dot11s or dot14s. Strange.
The Hitachis were good for 80 tracks and 112 tracks respectively, still not good.
The WD Blacks were good at 128 tracks, didn't test them above that.
The WD Blues, suggested by our enclosure supplier, were good at 192 tracks on eSata and usb3 and 128 tracks on firewire.
The SSD and pcie flash were very good of course.

ProTools had no problem recording 128 tracks to any of these drives, even the 2 Toshibas that wouldn't get to 64 tracks in Nuendo.

So the takeaway here is twofold -
First - drives are varying far too much; even if it benchmarks well it may not perform well in Nuendo, Logic, and other DAWs.
Second - my original point now borne out thoroughly - Nuendo has poor record performance compared to ProTools 10/11, a remarkable change from a few years ago. This should be examined.

Hugh
by Hugh
Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Exorting 30 sec of Video - how?

No there is not.

What I do is I export the music with the dialogs/Fx , notate the timecode where the export starts.

Then I open the video in quicktime , and go to the corresponding timecode with the mouse then use the keyboard arrows to go exactly to the right timecode ( Quicktime is very precise when you hit left or right arrow, it goes frame by frame )

Then,

I open the audio export ( with music and dialogs/fx ) , do cmd + A ( select the whole audio ) , then cmd + c ( copy )
then I return to the video ( still in quicktime ) , then go to Edit, "add to sequence" , then "only keep the selection", and you've your clip ! ( dont forget to go in sequence property = cmd + J , then delete the original audio track otherwise you'll have both the original audio playing and the exported one )

This seems complex , but it really takes 2 minutes to do.
Seems much simpler to me than using Video editor like Vegas or Premiere.
by rpaillot805
Sun May 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo 6.5?

The NEK should be a seperate install so that it could be used across both Cubase and Nuendo. That way people like me with both Nuendo and Cubase (allready paid for NEK), could use the same functions across both apps.

A paid add-on package for Nuendo only users, free to use in Nuendo for owner of both Cubase and Nuendo.

Is that so hard to do?

I'm also a music producer only, and have also liked Nuendo better (historically) because of some rather small things.
Steinberg's problem is and has always been; Where to draw the line between Music and Post?
Is the forth mixer a Post only feature?
Is the cycle marker export a Post only feature?
Is the extended cross-fade editor a Post only feature?
Is the extended automation a Post only feature?
etc, etc..........

Please fill in what you think are rather suspect Post only features. As said, wher to draw the line?
by iBM
Sat May 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is the best video codec to ask the editor?

You need a format that have fully rendered frames, with other codecs it is within the decoding process (playback) that the "missing" frames are recalculated. That is why it brings Nuendo to it's knees.
Convert it to a format that is intended for editing such as Avid dnx36, Apple prores or Photo Jpeg.

Fredo
by Fredo
Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is the best video codec to ask the editor?

It could depend on the video card you are using....
I can tell you what I use with a Blackmagic Intensity. I ask for "Apple Pro Res (Proxy)" or "DNxHd". They will be very big in size (more then 10 GB for 90 min ), but Nuendo will love it. (It looks like the higher the compression the harder for the DAW).
If I have to get the picture via download I ask for H264. But even then it should not be too compressed (will still have 3-4 GB). If i use H264 with under 1 GB for 90 min Nuendo/Blackmagic will not like it. I will then turn it into a "DNxHd".
That is on Mac. Don't know if it is the same on PC.

Oswald
by Oswald Schwander
Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When can we expect to see N6.5?

Hello,

Nuendo 6.5 will be available in July.

Thanks,
Timo
by TimoWildenhain
Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 am