Search found 14 matches

Return

Sound of Humanity - Typhoon Haiyan

To anyone interested: I'm going to try to put together an instrumental track and release it on the Facebook page as a show of support for those impacted by Haiyan. I haven't yet heard of any relief efforts large enough to justify the effort it would take us to put together an album, but if I do that may change.

As a matter of reference for comparison's sake, Haiyan is the most powerful storms ever recorded. It exceeded the maximum value on the 8.0 on the force scale with sustained winds 190 mph (305 km/h) and gusts of 230 mph (370 km/h). Obviously, the maximum on the scale wasn't dictated by physics but instead on the highest amount of force observable via airplane (or maybe it is satellite).

If anyone else would like to donate a track, let me know in this thread and, if you aren't already, I'll add you to the private Facebook group for collaborators to continue the discussion there.
by foolomon
Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sound of Humanity - Typhoon Haiyan

Thanks. Again, I don't have a financial result in mind - we haven't had much success in the past (Haiti and Sandy) so I don't think the effort is worth it from that standpoint - but we can certainly reinvigorate our online presence while we wait for the time when the effort will be worth it. In other words, people have probably and justifiably forgotten who Sound of Humanity is so it's time to remind them. :)
by foolomon
Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi-OX (software ?)

MIDI-Ox is good for verifying your MIDI setup, but - in my opinion - not much more than that. I have had it installed since at least 2007 but never fire it up except for situations like this.

If you are looking to control your MIDI devices in a live setting, use Catabile Performer (Windows) or Mainstage (iOS) instead.
by foolomon
Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi-OX (software ?)

Yeah I would because it would annoy me to no end if I had an issue getting my MIDI stuff working on stage and didn't have it to help diagnose.

I'm a Windows person so Cantabile Performer is what I use. I love it. It can do anything you need it to do including host VSTs that you can trigger via your MIDI devices, which is particularly useful for soft synths. I used it for splitting my keyboards into multiple ranges, assigning samples that would be triggered, and controlling the routing of MIDI messages (i.e. my top keyboard would be used to play a particular patch on a specific MIDI channel on my lower keyboard, or my rack mounted synth, etc.).

It's awesome enough that I stopped enhancing the software that I wrote to do 90% of that since it is easier to use and had more capabilities than my solution did.
by foolomon
Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Best Free VSTs of 2013"

Actually, it was I who attacked you. And I still stand by what I said. I am not wasting my time trying out new VSTs. I'm asking others if they've come across any of the ones listed and what their opinions were. If anything, I am trying to avoid wasting my time.

In all seriousness, if you can't help the conversation progress then don't post. It's that simple. No one is being a bully, but I do want to prevent the STN ratio from going down the toilet by useless drivel being "contributed" here.

Yeah, you attacked me too. Sorry, but you don't get to judge what's relevant and what's not. And what you consider "noise" may not be noise at all to others. Last I checked, you were NOT the moderator. I think my post was relevant, I did not judge anyone, unlike what you accused me of, just offered a suggestion. For the record, I've been "thanked" way more than you, which means that other people here do find my posts useful.

Learn to live with different OPINIONS.

Here's a litmus test of relevance:

When the OP asks a question, are you answering the question?

No? Then your commentary was irrelevant.

Easy peasy.

I couldn't care less about the number of times a useless piece of functionality on this website has been used. I've been a member of the Cubase website nearly 2 years longer than you - should that count for anything? Personally, I don't think so. But if you want to look at quantifiable metrics then that one is probably more applicable than how many times you or I have been thanked.

This is my last post on this side topic. If you'd like to debate it further, create your own thread so that I can hijack it with useless and content free trolling. Thanks.

Does anyone else have any experience with the VSTs referenced in the article?
by foolomon
Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are you a hardcore 'gamer' or create music for 'puter ga

I would consider myself a hardcore gamer.

I have dual monitors on my home PC (studio workstation) and a laptop on a docking station next to it. I can answer emails while galloping through the countryside playing Lord of the Rings Online all day long or do mindless quests while on conference calls and answering work-related IMs via Microsoft Communicator on my laptop.

:lol:

All of that is while I'm in my PJs. Hahahaha
by foolomon
Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creating Vocal Harmonies

Granted, I haven't done backing vocals often. Using You Said as an example of one such time...

I used Melodyne on each backing vocal track to fix timing issues, e.g. one vocalist coming in earlier than the rest, etc.

1. I use a group channel called Backup Vocals . All backing vocals, obviously, are routed here with their individual panning set to give a decent spread. On this channel I used Magneto for warmth, Little Microshift (from Sound Toys) to add depth, and GEQ-30 to deal with...well, EQ.

2. I use another group channel called Vocals . Mark Petruzzi's main vocal gets routed here in addition to the Backup Vocals group. On this channel, I use the stock LoCut@120Hz EQ preset and that's pretty much it.

Note that, since Melodyne has a polyphonic mode, I probably could have used it on the Backup Vocal group channel instead of all 3 individual backing vocal tracks to save myself some time.
by foolomon
Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Foodstock 2014

I'm already volunteering Glyn's song Hunger from the Musicians for Haiti precursor to Sound of Humanity because it's so damn appropriate.
by foolomon
Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ROLAND XV50/50 users (non-Steinberg question)

My guess is that the Nord is sending a bank change message as well but the MSB / LSB combination of the message is unrecognized by the XV-5050 or instead corresponds to a media card slot that is empty if the XV-5050 supports that. (I own one of those and don't even know the answer to that question, sadly enough.)

It's just a guess though.

Try connecting to your PC and using MIDI-OX to see exactly what is being transmitted by the Nord.
by foolomon
Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yep. I figured that's what it was.

By the way, the MSB/LSB for bank change messages are always in the Roland manuals that come with their devices. I own a D-50 and XP-50 as well, and their MIDI implementation sections of the manual are fairly complete.
by foolomon
Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I bought it on sale once but really haven't utilized it much except for a few times in live situations when I needed more layering. It is a good module though.
by foolomon
Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They're probably trying to protect themselves from liability issues. Steinberg is a music software company so they are probably an easy target.

Use Box, Bandcamp, Soundcloud or something and link to it here instead.
by foolomon
Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fretless Bass VSTi

Holy moly. I just came across this.

http://acousticsamples.net/bass/bassysm-f

I'm impressed.
by foolomon
Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic