Search found 27 matches

Return

Sound of Humanity - Typhoon Haiyan

To anyone interested: I'm going to try to put together an instrumental track and release it on the Facebook page as a show of support for those impacted by Haiyan. I haven't yet heard of any relief efforts large enough to justify the effort it would take us to put together an album, but if I do that may change.

As a matter of reference for comparison's sake, Haiyan is the most powerful storms ever recorded. It exceeded the maximum value on the 8.0 on the force scale with sustained winds 190 mph (305 km/h) and gusts of 230 mph (370 km/h). Obviously, the maximum on the scale wasn't dictated by physics but instead on the highest amount of force observable via airplane (or maybe it is satellite).

If anyone else would like to donate a track, let me know in this thread and, if you aren't already, I'll add you to the private Facebook group for collaborators to continue the discussion there.
by foolomon
Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sound of Humanity - Typhoon Haiyan

Thanks. Again, I don't have a financial result in mind - we haven't had much success in the past (Haiti and Sandy) so I don't think the effort is worth it from that standpoint - but we can certainly reinvigorate our online presence while we wait for the time when the effort will be worth it. In other words, people have probably and justifiably forgotten who Sound of Humanity is so it's time to remind them. :)
by foolomon
Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi-OX (software ?)

MIDI-Ox is good for verifying your MIDI setup, but - in my opinion - not much more than that. I have had it installed since at least 2007 but never fire it up except for situations like this.

If you are looking to control your MIDI devices in a live setting, use Catabile Performer (Windows) or Mainstage (iOS) instead.
by foolomon
Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi-OX (software ?)

Yeah I would because it would annoy me to no end if I had an issue getting my MIDI stuff working on stage and didn't have it to help diagnose.

I'm a Windows person so Cantabile Performer is what I use. I love it. It can do anything you need it to do including host VSTs that you can trigger via your MIDI devices, which is particularly useful for soft synths. I used it for splitting my keyboards into multiple ranges, assigning samples that would be triggered, and controlling the routing of MIDI messages (i.e. my top keyboard would be used to play a particular patch on a specific MIDI channel on my lower keyboard, or my rack mounted synth, etc.).

It's awesome enough that I stopped enhancing the software that I wrote to do 90% of that since it is easier to use and had more capabilities than my solution did.
by foolomon
Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Best Free VSTs of 2013"

Actually, it was I who attacked you. And I still stand by what I said. I am not wasting my time trying out new VSTs. I'm asking others if they've come across any of the ones listed and what their opinions were. If anything, I am trying to avoid wasting my time.

In all seriousness, if you can't help the conversation progress then don't post. It's that simple. No one is being a bully, but I do want to prevent the STN ratio from going down the toilet by useless drivel being "contributed" here.

Yeah, you attacked me too. Sorry, but you don't get to judge what's relevant and what's not. And what you consider "noise" may not be noise at all to others. Last I checked, you were NOT the moderator. I think my post was relevant, I did not judge anyone, unlike what you accused me of, just offered a suggestion. For the record, I've been "thanked" way more than you, which means that other people here do find my posts useful.

Learn to live with different OPINIONS.

Here's a litmus test of relevance:

When the OP asks a question, are you answering the question?

No? Then your commentary was irrelevant.

Easy peasy.

I couldn't care less about the number of times a useless piece of functionality on this website has been used. I've been a member of the Cubase website nearly 2 years longer than you - should that count for anything? Personally, I don't think so. But if you want to look at quantifiable metrics then that one is probably more applicable than how many times you or I have been thanked.

This is my last post on this side topic. If you'd like to debate it further, create your own thread so that I can hijack it with useless and content free trolling. Thanks.

Does anyone else have any experience with the VSTs referenced in the article?
by foolomon
Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are you a hardcore 'gamer' or create music for 'puter ga

I would consider myself a hardcore gamer.

I have dual monitors on my home PC (studio workstation) and a laptop on a docking station next to it. I can answer emails while galloping through the countryside playing Lord of the Rings Online all day long or do mindless quests while on conference calls and answering work-related IMs via Microsoft Communicator on my laptop.

:lol:

All of that is while I'm in my PJs. Hahahaha
by foolomon
Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creating Vocal Harmonies

Granted, I haven't done backing vocals often. Using You Said as an example of one such time...

I used Melodyne on each backing vocal track to fix timing issues, e.g. one vocalist coming in earlier than the rest, etc.

1. I use a group channel called Backup Vocals . All backing vocals, obviously, are routed here with their individual panning set to give a decent spread. On this channel I used Magneto for warmth, Little Microshift (from Sound Toys) to add depth, and GEQ-30 to deal with...well, EQ.

2. I use another group channel called Vocals . Mark Petruzzi's main vocal gets routed here in addition to the Backup Vocals group. On this channel, I use the stock LoCut@120Hz EQ preset and that's pretty much it.

Note that, since Melodyne has a polyphonic mode, I probably could have used it on the Backup Vocal group channel instead of all 3 individual backing vocal tracks to save myself some time.
by foolomon
Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Foodstock 2014

I'm already volunteering Glyn's song Hunger from the Musicians for Haiti precursor to Sound of Humanity because it's so damn appropriate.
by foolomon
Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ROLAND XV50/50 users (non-Steinberg question)

My guess is that the Nord is sending a bank change message as well but the MSB / LSB combination of the message is unrecognized by the XV-5050 or instead corresponds to a media card slot that is empty if the XV-5050 supports that. (I own one of those and don't even know the answer to that question, sadly enough.)

It's just a guess though.

Try connecting to your PC and using MIDI-OX to see exactly what is being transmitted by the Nord.
by foolomon
Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yep. I figured that's what it was.

By the way, the MSB/LSB for bank change messages are always in the Roland manuals that come with their devices. I own a D-50 and XP-50 as well, and their MIDI implementation sections of the manual are fairly complete.
by foolomon
Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I bought it on sale once but really haven't utilized it much except for a few times in live situations when I needed more layering. It is a good module though.
by foolomon
Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They're probably trying to protect themselves from liability issues. Steinberg is a music software company so they are probably an easy target.

Use Box, Bandcamp, Soundcloud or something and link to it here instead.
by foolomon
Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fretless Bass VSTi

Holy moly. I just came across this.

http://acousticsamples.net/bass/bassysm-f

I'm impressed.
by foolomon
Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fretless Bass VSTi

Demos of the fretless please. :P
by foolomon
Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Foodstock 2014

Some of you may remember a discussion I posted back in December (or maybe early January) about holding a music festival on behalf of Sound of Humanity that would benefit underprivileged families in the NJ area. I've reached out to a number of you in the greater NYC metro area and have received great responses / support for this endeavor, but now I think I can expand this to make it a truly global event.

To recap some specifics:

1. We're having 10 musical acts, including our very own Mark Petruzzi and Tom Zartler, play 30 minutes each with a 15 minute setup/tear down between acts.

2. Price of admission will be 64 oz of canned goods per person, all of which to be given to Community Foodbank of NJ, a highly rated 501(c)3 charity that works with over 400 food banks in northern and central NJ.

3. The event will hopefully be simulcast over the Internet via HomeGrownRadioNJ.org (subject to whether I can get Verizon to pony up free 4G Internet connectivity from the venue).

The date is August 30 from 11am - 6:30pm EDT.

The thought that just came to me after a humorous comment I made to Sav on Facebook is this: in between acts, I will need music for when I'm not waxing philosophical on the next act to perform. Why not, then, play music from the people here on the forum?

Since this is a benefit "concert," I'd like the music to be positive in it's general attitude, either in the feeling you get when you hear the music or in the lyrics. Interested? Reply in here only. Do not reply on the Sound of Humanity page on Facebook, because we're keeping tight control on the release of information until the PR campaign gets in full swing.

I'm not guaranteeing that your music will get played, unfortunately. I'm still working out the logistics with the municipality where the event will be held (Roxbury, NJ), but I'm 99% confident that I can make this work. This is a great chance for people "across the pong" and elsewhere to be a part of this in its inaugural year without actually being here. And, of course, I'd love to have your music played since I know how much incredible talent we have here on the board.

Thoughts?
by foolomon
Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Audio/Visual Software (help?)

I have used Camstudio. It works well enough.

I'm kind of surprised that Windows Live Movie Maker doesn't do this natively.
by foolomon
Sat May 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Checked My IRQs - Some Shared Numbers - Question

IRQs and sharing was an issue of the hardware bus design (ISA, EISA, MCA, PCI, etc.). ISA didn't support it since it is an "edge triggered interrupt" but newer hardware architectures (as well as MCA, Microchannel, which is not so new) do support it because of the explosion in devices that need to be supported on a single motherboard now.

That's just in case you're curious.

Like others said, leave it alone. It doesn't cause problems now.
by foolomon
Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mastering - What's your approach?

Ok I watch the excellent video on mastering. The FabFilter plugs he uses look really nice. Pricey though, but maybe not that much once you get into Pro type plugs. So my question to you is, did you buy any of these plugs? Or did you substitute in plugs came from Cubase or elsewhere? If they are no FabFilter plugs, then what ones do you use and prefer?

I think the video is more about the process than anything. I have FabFilter, but even in spite of that I prefer the Variety of Sound plugs over the FabFilter saturation plug.

In my opinion, the most difficult component is the EQ due to the Mid/Side processing. If you can find a suitable replacement for that then the rest should be doable using any number of plugins.
by foolomon
Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blue Yeti Pro Mic (MUTE?)

Record the video while narrating (but not recording, i.e. don't use a mic). Then import the video into Cubase and re-narrate the video with a microphone and your audio interface. You'll note only be able to focus more on each aspect of what you're doing, but the audio should be sufficiently high quality that you can use the Audio > Advanced > Detect Silence function to kill the stuff in between.

If you want to really get fancy, go find some downloaded cinematic tracks and incorporate those into yet another audio track in the Cubase project so that you have some good background music.
by foolomon
Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've done it this way with spectacular results. The only reason why you speak without the mic is to ensure that your timings are correct in terms of syncing with the video.

As far as getting the video in a format that will be supported by Cubase, it depends (I suppose) on the version of Cubase you are running. You'll find good video format converters for free on the web. I forgot what program I use - not at home for the next week or so - but it allows me to convert to the "standard" QuickTime format, which I know Cubase supports.
by foolomon
Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It depends on the specific options that you use during export. Cubase may use the QT Player, but it is very picky about the codecs, etc. that are allowed when the video was exported.
by foolomon
Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You need to use the Replace Audio in Video function (I believe it's in the File menu). Then you press the F8 key, I think, to display the video window. That will be in sync with the transport. Then you record as normal on a new audio track.
by foolomon
Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mastering Exercise

Kevin: thanks for the listen. :) I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss mastering overall. I was always very happy with the overall mix I got for this song originally and thought the clarity of the original mix was quite good. (Kudos for that really goes to Mark Petruzzi who not only sang the amazing lead line but also provided some great feedback on EQ tweaks, etc.) I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something since I know my monitors are just a tad over average and that my ears aren't what they used to be.
by foolomon
Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A long read but a good one! Brotherhood opinions sought

Given that I'm going through a divorce that isn't so nice right now (still don't have my studio PC back grrrr), the following joke is rather appropriate...

Seen on a t-shirt:

"Woman: if they didn't have a vagina, they'd have a bounty on their heads."

:mrgreen:
by foolomon
Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dithering

Sherz wrote:http://youtu.be/cIQ9IXSUzuM

@11:39

8-)

Ok this video is, so far, the most informative thing I've seen in a long time. Thank's Ian for posting this!
by foolomon
Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic