Search found 14 matches

Return

Re: Copy Complete Mixer Settings -> Song2 - same track listi

Maybe a bit late for this particular project you're working on, but what about setting up templates?
You could have a mixer with VST's, Audio, output etc. Another mixer with only group tracks displayed.
Any insert/send effects or settings that you like in the channels, then save as a template. These would then be ready for parts 2 & 3 of your project.
Just a thought
Neil
by Neil B
Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CC controller problem

I had a similar problem with my Kenton Control Freak & Korg NanoKontrol.
Had me scratching my head until someone sorted it out.
I thought it was a problem with Nexus, which has hard wired midi cc's.
But it isn't

In 7.5, as well as Track Quick Controls, there is also VST Quick Controls.
These use 71, 73-77, 97 & 98.

That is the probable problem.
Oh & check 16-19,, 79-82 as well for the track quick controls.

Hope that helps
Neil
by Neil B
Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [new song] The Moment

Nice - less is more & it really shows in the mix. "The ladies" sound a lot more realistic than anything I've ever got from Symphony of Voices.
No fancy techy comments from me - I like it. A lot.
Neil
by Neil B
Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [new song] The Moment

Always appreciate your comments Jonathan and always take note for future reference (especially in the string department
It's interesting that using today's amazing technology I am able to sound like a "women" would much rather use a real women to sing the part put none of the women I know can sing!!
working on a song now that involves a String section, Viola section and Cellos..gets pretty intense working out where the bits should be...

cheers, Kevin
Yeah, but if you had any of THOSE women from your soundcloud pages in the studio, would you get any work done??
:-)
by Neil B
Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Quiet exports

A couple of thoughts, & I may just be on the wrong track:
1: Is your windows media player using the same outputs as Cubase? Mine isn't so the volume isn't like for like.
2: A way to test it -
Often you may have inserts on your stereo out track/channel, such as a limiter for the final mix. It's easy to forget, when you import back into Cubase, to bypass any master out effects.
Create an additional out - name it stereo out 2 or final mix.
During the export, tick the boxes saying import into pool & project upon export.
After export set your finished track to Stereo out 2, perhaps with Voxengo as an insert. Mute stereo out 1 and do a side by side comparison.
Then mute stereo out 2 & compare again.
You can also right click on the final mix track & get the statistics.
Just a couple of ideas..........
Neil B
by Neil B
Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Converting synth arpeggio's to MIDI notes

Not sure if you are only running audio in or have a midi in as well, so I can only think of one way at the moment
Take you audio (monophonic) file and dbl click to go into edit.
Select variaudio and then pitch & warp - this will show you your notation
Select "extract midi", then destination = new midi track
Should be pretty close.
The manual has loads of info on this (that isn't meant as a criticism by the way)

Neil B
by Neil B
Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CC messages won't record

The problem is in the quick controls section of 7.5
Not at my music rig, but I had the same problem.
Disable the quick controls & you'll be fine
Neil

Edit - looked up one of my previous replies:

I had a similar problem with my Kenton Control Freak & Korg NanoKontrol.
Had me scratching my head until someone sorted it out.
I thought it was a problem with Nexus, which has hard wired midi cc's.
But it isn't

In 7.5, as well as Track Quick Controls, there is also VST Quick Controls.
These use 71, 73-77, 97 & 98.

That is the probable problem.
Oh & check 16-19,, 79-82 as well for the track quick controls.

Hope that helps
Neil
by Neil B
Sun May 18, 2014 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recording Midi (Volume?)

Hi folks,

I have a basic question which has been puzzling me for a while now. I have checked the forum but could not see a thread relating to this directly or simplistically.

If (as I always do) I record a MIDI TRACK using an external keyboard to play the notes into Cubase (ie. the Midi Data then appears in the 'piano roll'), does it actually matter what the FADER LEVEL is set at (in the F3 mixer) ?? By default, the mixer (white) fader is all the way down at zero (though the green lights show incoming data regardless of this). Then if I move the (white) fader, it 'snaps' and takes control of the level of the incoming data (ie. the green lights for the Midi Track will flash more/less depending where the fader is positioned).

Now, is this VOLUME which is being represented in the Midi Track (F3) mixer ?? And more importantly, regardless of whether or not it is, does it matter where the fader is set, or if it is at its zero position ?? As I say, in default, the incoming level (green lights) is high.

Paul

It is midi volume.
Go to your midi track inserts and insert the midi monitor. Play your midi part back & move the fader - you'll see the volume CC's displayed in the midi monitor. However, if you don't move the fader, what you are seeing in terms of the "pulses" is a midi event - usually the note velocity if you're just watching the playback. Try playing a few notes, go into key edit & draw a velocity ramp. Play back the midi part and watch the values in the midi fader change to their max value.
Personally I never or rarely display midi tracks in my mixer. I use the filter to turn off the midi channel in the mixer. It saves a lot of mixer clutter & gives you more "real estate".
If you do keep the midi tracks displayed, I'd be tempted to leave the faders at zero. After all, you're probably and most likely going to mix through the instrument tracks anyway
Hope that helps
Neil
by Neil B
Tue May 20, 2014 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi Paul.
Let's take a little step back here.
I'm afraid of perhaps being too simplified here & insulting your intelligence. After all - nearly 800 posts to your name over the last couple of years or so.
First - don't delete your midi tracks straight away - throw them in a folder if you need to hide them. Who knows, you may wish to come back to them and add a 7th somewhere or invert a chord and then re-export it to midi again.
At least, as you export to audio, save the project under another name before deleting the midi.
Just a thought.

Now, back to the meat of the question - the midi fader.
If you don't touch it, it won't affect anything, but a couple of simple tests as I outlined above will be useful.
Okay, so the DX21 isn't velocity sensitive. Therefore if you don't touch the midi fader, every time you hit a key, the fader will display at exactly the same level. It is velocity, but it only displays (really) the fact that you've just hit a key and therefore transmitted some midi information.
Do as I suggested previously - take a midi part, open it in key edit. At the bottom below the notes in key edit, select to show the velocities. My guess is that they'll probably all be 100.
Now using the line tool, draw an ascending ramp for the full length of the part. The changes will be determined by your snap value.
Now, go to the inspector (close the editor if you wish) and install the midi monitor as a midi insert.
Look at the midi fader in the mixer.
At the bottom on the left it will say "off". This is because you haven't touched it (the volume).
Next to it on the bottom right you will see a value of zero. This is the velocity value.
Don't confuse volume and velocity. Velocity is data attached to the note (see later below). Volume is a mid cc value.
Hit zero on your keyboard, then play the midi part. You will see the bottom right-hand value start to change. This should increase as your velocities get louder.
Press stop & zero again to return to the start of the recording.
Scroll up through your midi monitor list to see all the notes you've played in the value 1 column. The velocity attached to that note is value 2.
Now, a new bit for you - record again, but this time play one handed and as you play, there should be a volume slider on the DX21 (??). This should start transmitting volume data CC7 into your midi part. Check it either in your midi monitor or key edit, below the notes, select volume. I can't imagine that it doesn't transmit this.
Don't expect the volume slider to change on your midi fader strip. I'll leave you to research that bit.
Again I hope that's helped and I hope that I haven't been in egg sucking mode with my granny :-)
BTW - everything (I think) relating to that midi strip in the mixer is available in the inspector for the track (midi fader).
That's why I always have them hidden in the mixer - my working methods don't need them.
Neil B
by Neil B
Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good post on the Midi Faders there Neil,
Thanks for taking the time to post it!

So if I get this right the Midi fader in reality is the "intensity" or percentage of velocity allowed? That makes sense as it never seems to do much with when I fiddled with it.

I think that is a good way of putting it. Max velocity is 127 so if you want to do the bit where you divide by 100 and multiply by whatever, feel free :-) Just kidding.
Yeah, you'll see the midi channel strip light up half way with a velocity of 64.
It was my pleasure to post it, just to get Paul (and seemingly others) onto a journey where you can rationalise about some things. There was so much I didn't go into due to the question being a velocity or volume thing.
For instance look at the top of a midi channel strip in the mixer and you get a whole different bunch of things to a VST or audio track.

Paul - who knows - coffee might be a good idea. Normally only allowed to leave Stoke when we go on holiday (even though I'm a top member of the escape committee :-) ). So we do go north a few times per year. Perhaps make a special meet-up later in the year.

Thanks for your soundcloud comments too - appreciate it. Most of my older tracks used to be on my own, now defunct, website or on Planet Z and at the moment I'm not completing many tracks. Been spending time learning Cubase 7 & 7.5 after moving up from 4.5. Don't get me wrong - I've got lots on the go, but the weather has been far too good to be indoors. It's this boring retirement thing you know - lot's of free time on your hands - NOT.
More uploads later in the year. I'll get a chance to nip over and return the compliments on your soundcloud page too, as soon as I've got my old pedals off my mountain bike!! The beggars are seized on.
Anyway, enough waffle.
Good luck with the rest of your topic re memory etc - seems like you're in expert hands with other respondees.

Neil B
by Neil B
Wed May 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Iro: Track Color Pack for Cubase

And for those of you who aren't fully familiar with the colours section:

You can rename any of the colours by double clicking on them. So if you have a standard working practice for instance you could have the greens for "verse 1", reds for "intro" and so on. Lots of possibilities of how you can use the naming of colours. For instance if I have repeated midi loops in a project & I've edited one of them I may use a lighter red but have the colour named as "Variation 1".
Something for you to think about.
Neil
by Neil B
Sat May 24, 2014 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This is Love

Yes, this is nice. Nicely recorded & mixed. Perhaps too much piano around the 2.30 break mark for my tastes, but it is a praise band style track after all.
I didn't realise you were a praise band leader - well done.
Just promise me when it's played at services you won't repeat every verse 6 times while powerpoint fails to keep up with the lyrics and that no one is running up and down with a big flag :-)
Just kidding. Loved the track
by Neil B
Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Level 44

I agree that it sounds a bit dated but the bass was hypnotic. Great track for its genre.
by Neil B
Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 learning or tutorial

These have been a very big help to me, including the version 7.0 ones, which form a great lead in to 7.5

http://www.groove3.com/str/steinberg-training-videos/

Neil
by Neil B
Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic