Search found 32 matches

Return

Re: How to copie compleet mixer settings to use in other pro

I recorded two large scale albums in N6 recently - that means 18 days of straight recording inside N6...

I am now quite used to N6. But I will use N5.5 for mixing.. I am too slow in N6, it distractes me.. recording, editing etc is cool. Using all the new stuff.. Setting up the things in the mixer is ok... The new controlroom is a JOKE... when recordings only one musician over days it is usable... I am not sure how I would handle a full band - not possible I would say.. I recently tried to mix a smaller project in N6... No way... Fortunately the stuff is backward-compatible so you can open a N6 session in N5.5...

Kick out all the new GUI sh*t, bring back the N5.5 Mixer/Controlroom, add some of the enhancements/features of the new Mixing Console if you want - then add some kind of IMPORT SESSION DATA solution - and N6,5 oder N7 would be the version I could use the next 10 years at least...
by Brandy
Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PC users: Flickering Timline is ridiculous

Stationary cursor with auto scroll enabled at high zoom levels induces seizures.

:shock:
by Scab Pickens
Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.10 discussion and questions

How can anyone claim Cubase is ROCK SOLID. Just read the "improvements" in the "free" Cubase 7.5.10 update. If your Cubase is solid, your probably not using it to its full potential.

Most of these "improvements" (and many more not even done yet) should have been done last year with the initial release of 7.

PS @ SB: Improving implies that you make it better as was advertised, actually you are only "fixing" your bad release.
by Rudi007
Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

OK, where to start. I have just bought C7.5 and installed it and updated to 7.5.1. I am not a newbie at this stuff, I've been doing this for over 15 years and have been through Cubase VST, SX1, Cubase 4, Nuendo 1, 2, 3, 4, Sonar 1 and Sonar X3 and I have a large body of plugins and a fully tried and tested DAW setup.

So, when I installed the latest and greatest from Steinberg, I expected a little more than I've found so far and really, I am pretty angry at what is currently an unusable product and wasted money. I was thinking about holding on for Bitwig but took the plunge at C7.5. I really hope Steinberg can sort this program out.

So far, I've loaded C7.5 up a few times, have saved 3 test projects and had to force close C7.5 through task manager in W7 x64 almost every time I load the program due to the way it freezes without any warning.

In trying to use my 32bit plugins in Bitbridge (which is meant to be able to run these things), a frighteningly large number of plugins fail to load, crash C7.5 or appear with a GUI window that has no GUI. It is worth noting that the 64bit version of Sonar X3 runs all these plugins without any problem. Some examples of plugins that work in Sonar but don't work in Cubase:

Algorithmix Blue
Cakewalk Z3ta+
Steinberg Hypersonic
Inspector XL
Nomad Factory - some of them fail to load
Spectrasonics Atmosphere and Stylus
UAD-2 (Studer 800 so far- loaded but C7.5 froze when I clicked on a button)

I haven't finished testing all of them yet but some very important plugins in that list I cannot use in C7.

As far as the GUI operation is concerned, I have found a few bugs, especially in the mixer. These are silly little bugs that you really expect to be fixed at release stage.

Then there is the total GUI freeze when C7.5 stops responding all of a sudden but the music keeps playing. Only way out? Force-close it in task manager and lose your work.

So where do I stand with all this? I certainly can't see C7.5 as being a usable tool and I'll go back to Nuendo 4 and Sonar X3, both of which work reliably, support my plugins and let me make music. I am pretty experienced in this game and know to expect a few teething issues on a new release but when that release is a upgrade to a previous major release and has been patched and 3 generations on from the last Steinberg host I used, I don't expect to find the unusable program that I've just paid £244 for.

Am I happy with this? No, of course not. I'm actually stunned at how bad this is.

Dear Steinberg, I know I have ranted a bit here but you have one seriously unhappy customer who has supported you over many years and now regrets buying your latest product.

Instead of using your resources to add more and more new features, please will you focus on making the program stable and usable - it is important for your customers and your reputation. If anyone asks me whether to upgrade to C7.5 at the moment, I will tell them in no uncertain terms not to.

Thank you - please make C7.5 the great program it should be.

Regards,

Lord Nibbler, aka a very cheesed off Mark Edmonds
by LordNibbler
Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

there are a lot of great features in the new console, enough for me to deal with the gymnastics involved.
I'm probably gaining more in terms of desk efficiency than I'm losing by the navigation.
No arguments, it's down to personal workflow.
Fwiw, I do see some positive aspects in C7/C7.5.
And I spent way too many hours in my test install of 7.0, trying to make it work, I really wanted to.
After checking 7.07 I gave up, it's supposed to be the best Steinberg can do atm.
Or they would certainly not call it the final update, right ?

Let's take a quick look at 3 of the biggest complaints, there is a boatload of other stuff too.
-- Broken KC / GR focus - nobody ever came up with any positive reasoning for this extreme workflow killer, nobody, not even Steinberg, so I guess it's safe to call it a huge bug. Why has it not been fixed 1 1/2 years later, not even in 7.5 ?
-- Completely incomplete implementation of those "mixer view presets" with the complicated name, good idea on paper, first thing I tested in 7.0.0. Still not ready for use, 1 1/2 years later - not properly integrated with workspaces, buggy on project reload, not including all visual aspects of the mixer, and worst of all, not even a way of making them system-wide or even only transfer them between projects - I guess it's impossible to describe a sensible workflow using this placebo.
At the same time workspaces have not been upgraded to include all the new good or bad mixer features.
Bottom line - it's no-man's land, there is no reliable method of recalling a visual mixer state in 7.x anymore, 1 1/2 years later.
Epic fail.
-- Last for now, the plethora of mixer zoom issues, again, not tolerable for any serious work - though, admittedly, the Channel Kermit View has quickly become a running gag among clients - too bad it always happens in exactly the wrong moment, so for client work it was quickly back to 6.5, these things are not acceptable.
Kermit's still alive and well today, 1 1/2 years later. Clients don't see him anymore though.

This list could go on over pages, and we're not even talking controversial design decisions here, we're talking workflow-killing bugs, plain and simple. 1 1/2 years later. No improvements in sight, nothing, not even for 7.5.

ymmv as far as these things concern you personally, they are reality however, not caused by user error or system specs.
1 1/2 years later.
Rhino
by Rhino
Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo 6.5?

I feel a need to chime in with my agreement around the disappointment that 6.5 will be a paid upgrade (this hasn't happened before) and that 6.0x is apparently not going to be completely fixed before the 6.5 release leaving us with no real choice but to pay for the fixes in 6.5.

Dean
by Rickard
Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pan Law for the biggest sounding mix

I would say, unless you're an experienced mix engineer stay well away from any kind of Stereo enhancement.
Those things can do more harm than good in inexperienced hands.
If needed let your mastering engineer widen your mixes.
But experience starts somewhere, and experimenting while simultaneously seeking mentoring is a fast track to becoming experienced. After all, mastering engineers started with no experience.

OK, you seem to disagree with everything I say, fine, but I'm trying, as are you to help the OP and everyone else who reads this thread.

I'll explain my statement: If the OP learns to make his mix sound wider/ better by NOT using stereo enhancement then he will have learned a valuable set of skills that will make him a better mixer in the long run. He/she will then be in a better position to use stereo enhancement if still needed.

I would say the same about using maximisers/limiters and mono testing.

Using these things from the get go as a lot of inexperienced mixers do is like running before you can walk.

I'll put this into perspective by saying I've been doing this for 30 years and have learned a lot on the way, I'm still learning and happily passing on what I've learned from working with Grammy award winning producers/engineers/musicians hands on, NOT from reading books or theory.

Mr Patanjali may I ask how long you've been a professional mix engineer/Producer/musician? I'm just curious as to your credentials.

MC
by Norbury Brook
Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A good mix starts with (not in any order)good musicians, good song, good engineering ,good room.

If you've got those then your mix will be easy. If it's recorded well, with good musicians playing together in a good room then it will have a natural 3'D depth that's hard to replicate when layering in a project studio.

Also good musicians self balance: I spent 20 years working with Mark Knopfler and his whole studio thing was; if things are working well then the faders should just be level on the mixing board, no or very little automation as it's not needed when you've got great musicians/songs/arrangements.

All that said, musical genre's vary greatly and if you're into EDM for example then there's no such thing as the band and therefore you'd have to take a different approach, and usually people who mix EDM generally aren't mixing country records :)

So my point:

Your mix starts the very beginning you start recording.

MC
by Norbury Brook
Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

First and foremost, I object to being referred to as a prat. At no point did I insult you, I just asked what your recording credentials were,an honest question in an internet forum as you seems to be dismissing everything I said.

Everything I've said in this thread you've argued with and in the end I felt it pertinent to ask where you're coming from?

My answers are not 'half baked' as you say and I stand by them all. I do however object to your insults.

My points like; don't use stereo enhancers might seem vague, because they don't give a quick fix to a solution, quite often there are no quick fixes. My points about your mix starting the moment you put up a mic to record or play a note , aren't quick fixes either , however they are tried and tested methods most of the people I've worked with adhere to. I'm not in a position to listen to people mixes here and give dedicated advice, I haven't got the time. I have the odd minute in the day to try and help the best I can, something I've been doing on these forums for 15 years.

In all that time I've never insulted anyone or not tried my best to pass on the valuable knowledge I've gained as someone lucky enough to have been successful in this business.

MC
by Norbury Brook
Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fredo that workflow used to work until version 6. I was always very happy with Nuendo but something has gone wrong here... first off I don't have a problem paying for an upgrade as long as it's not just bug fixes. N6 as it stands is not a professional product anymore...take alone the microscopic scroll bar on the bottom of the mix window...I think that annoys me more that anything... the constant crashes, the insane amount of additional clicks, the fact that plugins disappear behind the mix window when in full screen mode and so forth...these are all issues that present themselves after just a few minutes in the system. Why after a year have those not been fixed? And I am fairly certain they won't be fixed in 6.5
Now having to pay for that??? By keeping unwanted (or better un-asked-for) features to a minimum and focusing on requested features and bug fixes SB would keep their user community happy for the most part much more than recent.
We are not talking about millions of Nuendo users here...my guess it's a few thousand at most with a very outspoken community on here of professional engineers using this product... so why not listen and react a bit more like SB used to?
by mrtomcat
Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

Regarding the new mixer bashers. I am 100% in support this new mixer in C7. Working great for me.
I think the designers have done a super job as well!
Well done guys!
This is not about "bashing", "thinking" or "liking".
It is out of question, that the designers have done a bad job.
The new Mixer is simply not good !

- Taking more space for the same information.
- Hidden information all over the place.
- Completely missing information, that was there before and is still needed.
- Not 'point and click', anymore ! Instead You need a 'master' in 'mouse gestures'.
E.g.: to see a send level for several adjacent tracks,
you need to make certain mouse gestures and then wait ...
If nothing happens, try again ...
- Bad contrast and readability.
- Everything has the same shape / looks the same.
( unintuitive, steeper learning curve, error prone )
- Gain changes up to +/-2db are not visible.
- Everything can be sized, but settings can not be stored/recalled, globally
- there's more ...

Nothing above, is about taste.
It just shows, that the current Mixer is not "well done".
It brings Cubase' work s low to new heights !
8-)

But yes, it still can be used to mix a song ...

On Toppic :
The Control Room Mixer can show more info, now. Good. It now remembers it's visual settings. Good
Still not as good as it was before, though.
Sadly nothing more, for me ...
Looks like they want me to pay the 'major fee', again.
:|

Jan
by DaDa
Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is going on with Cubase 7?

And may I add Nuendo 6 to that. I think all the things you mention
have been documented...for quite some time now. Cubase 7 and
Nuendo 6 are done deals. (No more development for either)
If you want fixes you will have to upgrade to 7.5.
Oh yea, many of the documented issues are still present in 7.5 along with
some new ones, so maybe wait for version 8.
I'm trialing Cubase 7.5 and just found the "Mute" bug for channel 1.
How in the world...never mind.

If you need a new drum machine, or track versions, or another tape saturation plugin
they have you covered.

For me the new drum machine is almost worth it. Track versions are a convenience
but I prefer to manage alternate takes spread out on tracks.
Never hit a limit with too many tracks...And everything is visible all the time.
Magneto II doesn't have the mojo that the very 1st ever version of Magneto had.
That is obviously just my opinion. I use the UAD Studer, Ampex or Fatso
for those duties anyway.

Steinberg, please focus on your origins. You know Cubase and Nuendo.
Take the time to address the fundamental issues please.

Flickering Cursors, Mixer Key Commands, Mouse wheel malfunctions, etc...
You know what they are.
by Rotund
Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

sorry Buchanan, but doesn´t it get boring singing the same old song day in day out?
Your snobbist and trolling attitude is a real pain and a punch in the face of the many folks here who take their precious time to point out serious workflow problems and bugs in Cubase 7. Most of the time, there is no bashing and whining involved, but the justified wish to have Cubase improved!
Man, your Mr.-know-it-all motivation stays puzzling....
:roll:
by r.u.sirius
Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The mix console screen on my multi monitor setup still freezes once or twice a session since I upgraded to 7.5 and it still happens in 7.5.10. The ENTIRE mix console and opened plugins freeze while the project screen and other applications on the other monitors are just fine. To fix it I have to hit F3 (to close) then hit F3 again and it comes back to life. I've reported it in the issues section but no feedback. I've also given up on the BS that plugins hide behind the mixer. It's like Steinberg tests using only plain 1 monitor vanilla setups.

Do they test using 2, 3 or 4 monitors (I use 4)?

Do they hook up 3rd party external hardware as part of their testing or just their own hardware?

Unless Steinberg's adopts a temporary strategy of "STOP ADDING STUFF AND FIX ALL BUGS FIRST", then I believe this might be my last version of Cubase unless things change... and this is coming from someone who was defending their business practice up until a week ago

Why are you here with a serious problem like that? You need to contact support. Have you contacted support? Complaining here is USELESS. The general forum is for the odd problem someone else might do you quick fix, bit of user advice etc.

Woah!! Step back Jack! Have you gone lost yo mind??

Do you think this is my first rodeo?

That I don't know how to open up a Steinberg Support ticket?

Who the are you? The almighty sage?

Don't get cheesed off at me because it's contrary to your banal narrative. Also read the entire thread...I am not the only one here echoing chronic issues.

Such brave talk when you have miles of fibre optic cable between you and the recipient of your elitist attitude.
by cmaffia
Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What they both said ...
by DenisSalois
Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

something about sarcasm and being constructive and all that
by Lydiot
Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The funny part is that the interface wastes more space, and provides FAR less information. I don't loath the "look". I loath the functionality. I want to look at the mixer and see the information.
by JMCecil
Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

... and to all those, liking the current mixer and dissing the Reaper designs:

Again, it's NOT about taste.
Designs copying real mixers, have the clear advatage,
that those mixers have been designed for fast and easy daily work.
Knobs/switches have different size, shape and color.
MAkes it way easier for the brain to navigate.
All info is always visible. This may be a problem for a newbie
but clearly speeds up the workflow, if you use Cubase for daily work.

Cubase pre 7.x.x mixer designers knew about all that.
Now they decided to go for touchscreen and thus we have the current mess ...

Not good.

Jan
by DaDa
Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CUBASE 7.5 bypass plugin - different look

Yeah, getting sick of hovering, waiting, moving, hovering, clicking, missing, moving, hovering etc etc
by Tanant
Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UNDO for the mixer. Absolutely necessary!

Because it complicates matters. Just set auto-backup for every minute if you are making that many mistakes. I don't need it and I don't want it. It just adds things to the undo list I will never need.

Aaaaand again: it has nothing at all to do with "making that many mistakes". Come on, now.

If you read what people have been posting here, you will see very clearly that we're proposing a separate undo list for the mixer, or the ability to hide mixer undos from your main undo list. Then you'll never have to use it if you don't want to, and the very large majority of users who would want it will have it.

Man, forums are weird places. :D But I'm done here. I'll place my bets that Steinberg will at some point listen to the huge amount of requests for this over the years!
by Headlands
Wed May 21, 2014 3:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg hub coming to Nuendo...

Really guys, you are making a lot of fuzz out of nothing.

Fredo

Fredo,

I must say that although I usually pretty much agree with your views, this time I am opposed rather strongly.

However you want to call it - ads or product information - I strongly believe that it is completely misplaced in a pro application's file dialog. It's just one step too far and I feel really embarrassed and disgusted that it happens in Steinberg's DAWs (first?)

Isn't it the aim of pro software's GUI design to try to keep the user's workflow going?
I can understand that Steinberg needs to sell in order to stay in business, but is the situation really that desperate that they need to "advertise" in places where none of the competitors does and where it interrupts the workflow and is visible to the customer?

If I would have seen this HUB thingie the first time I saw Nuendo it would have annoyed me to a point to where I would not have become a Nuendo user in the first pace.

Seriously. If someone is that aggressive to me as a salesman I close up and I'm off.

I'm not saying I will leave the platform because of this (that would be ridiculous), but if I was looking for a new DAW I would definitely NOT consider the one with the ads. I'm just telling you and more importantly Steinberg that there are pro users who feel like me out there.

Ollie
by Oliver.Lucas
Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is there still an update in the pipeline before cubase 8

There are a couple of primary problems for me with C7.x.x when trying to do high volume production work (which is distinctly different than using Cubase as a composition tool). Because of them we are still using 6.5. 7.5 is ok, and in some ways superior to 6.5 for composition. But, for production work it sucks.

1) The break between the mixconsole and the arrange window for key commands and remote control ...
2) The lack of visual queues on the mixconsole for settings/values/controls
3) The control room suffers the same problem and the changed visual paradigm does not fit the use case.
4) Range Solo/Mute does not work properly in the mixconsole.
5) CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICKITY K C U F" N CLICK. There's a reason we want to use control surfaces. SPEED

There are many more issues in the issues area, but the point is 7.5 is far slower for recording, mixing, post etc...
by JMCecil
Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is there still an update in the pipeline before cubase 8

I have the need for at least 32 analog inputs + and a minimum of 8 digital inputs (S/P-DIF/AES).

On Creamware cards (like RME) you'll get 2 x ADAT SMUX capable ports (in and out) in addition RCA analog, XLR balanced and a SPDIF port. A good "solution" here is to possibly use something like a couple of Focusrite Saffire 26 i/o (I don't know too much about XITE at this stage). You can of course use 3x creamware cards for a total of 6 in and 6 out allowing 48 individual in's and out's @ 44/48Khz.

Are you then tracking to Cubase? Or is the S/C system a complete DAW in it self?

S|C is the environment, Cubase is the tape machine/sequencer.

And using some sort of Software mixer within the S/C system?

For myself, Cubase volumes are set to zero on mix (I have not recorded as yet) as are volumes in the Sonic Core environment however, one option is to mix in Scope using a software controller.

Is routing from Cubase via an internal "patchbay"?

Only standard VST Outputs are used (some old school Creamware users persist with some kind of DirecX setup, i.e. Wavelab).

Last time (long ago, but post creamware) I visited their web site, I didn't get much info out of it. Do you have any links?

GaryB in the Planet Z forums is always willing to help.
by sycophant
Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo + Cubase no NEK

Nuendo is way more expensive because it's aimed at a nieche market. Everything about the NEK makes perfect sense if you see it that way.

No matter the subject, there ALWAYS will be someone that will try to explain why earth is in box shape and not round. your explanation is absurd and got nothing to do with the 100% agreement between the users.

This is not just another topic but a matter of principle. Hard and deep principle. The NEK policy is absurd and not for one reason but 100 reasons.

Instead of unit our consumer force and ask for direct explanation we keep trying to explain to ourselves why and what. Stop that, We all agree the NEK must go through some sort of transformation.

The only way from here is to arrange a proper "issue" post, write all the feelings and thoughts and wait for a proper
answer from Steinberg. This is a serious matter, not just another argument for the buck.
100% of the users defending the policy (god knows why), actually dont use or need their midi tools and they are pure post users OR doesn't have a cubase and Nuendo. If you don't have to deal with the absurd with the policy, just don't - We need it!

Steinberg should explain this issue once and for all. We deserve an answer.
by drorh4
Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo 6.5 now shipping

Thanks for the info. I can find the list of new features, some of which seem very useful, but I couldn't find the list of bug fixes. Is there one?

DG

Hello,

there is no list of fixes available as this is the initial release of the 6.5 version.

Thanks,
Timo
OK, I understand that, but how can I find out whether or not the bugs from 6.07 have been fixed or not?

DG
by DG
Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nuendo + Cubase no NEK

You can read about NEK here. Unnecessarily problematic.
by Lydiot
Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Question about setting mic levels

What, does nobody bother to read anymore?

What made you decide the mic is broken?

Your mic is behaving exactly as it should, and you will get the same result with ANY mic you have...

If you plug it into a LINE input.

A mic has to go to a PREAMP...you can't plug it into a LINE input.

You need a cable with an XLR male connector to plug into one of the preamps on your Babyface.

And it sounds like you really need to spend some time reading some of the documentation supplied with products, plus some good "general" recording articles...
by billdenton
Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The blinking Mixer.

Since I've now bought into this N6.5 update I have been determined to try and use it, but although there are apparently some good new features (the only one I use, and actually like, is the Track Visibility stuff on the Project page - so well done there Steinberg) I find the MixConsole very frustrating to use. Amazingly, N6.5 provided no changes whatsoever to the mixer, and the hindrances to good workflow introduced in N6.bla.bla have not gone away with N6.5.

I really dislike the whole Rack click-fest, and why are the facilities for copying or moving effects from slot-blob to slot-blob not standardized across all rack types?

Why is it necessary to display 'No Effect' in every unused slot when just moving the cursor across the screen? - Here's a tip - get rid of it - we can see a slot is empty, and guess what - it involves less programming to display nothing.

And can we please have the slot numbers back? - Who on Earth thought it a good idea to remove something that we have all been used to for years (something that really helped the workflow) and replace it with - Nothing?! - We all know that often less is more, but in this case less is just a load of non-specific black blobs!

I am aware that these issues have been aired before, but perhaps it is time to reiterate them to keep Steinberg aware that the idea of hiding regularly used information can in no way be considered better than displaying information where the users expect to find it.

I'm going to have a lie down now.
by fenderchris
Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The problem with the new mixer

Been thinking about this, from the perspective of working closely with a number of software developers over the last 25 years. I think the issue is.....developmental compartmentalization.

Here's what I mean. I would bet heavily that the Mixer is developed as a distinct subunit/branch. There are many signs of this. It has similar to, but not actually the same paradigms and constants as the Project window. So coming from the Project window, behavior is often close to, and yet still different than what is expected, which makes the experience challenging. Actually, it makes the experience illogical and less productive.

It seems that SB is attempting to unify the paradigms between the different windows, which could be great. However, the way in which it is being done is counterproductive because of the lack of unity in the development process. The traits I see indicate that 2 different people/teams are separately pursuing the same general philosophy in Project vs Mixer, but each with their own take on what is "better".

An easy and illustrative example:

1. The behavior after selecting multiple tracks in the Project window versus the Mixer.
A. Press "M" key
1. Project: all selected tracks toggle Mute condition
2. Mixer: only one track toggles Mute condition
B. Press "S" key
1. Project: all selected tracks toggle Solo condition
2. Mixer: only one track toggles Solo condition

The reason I point out 2 separate commands is because that indicates a decision, not a mistake.

So which is the "better" behavior? I have my opinion, but that is not the point. The point is that there is NO reason for the deviation in philosophy within a single application. The end user should reasonably expect a unified approach to such conventions between windows.

Until this developmental schizophrenia is resolved, all of the various other complaints/preferences/requests regarding the Mixer are somewhat irrelevant, in my opinion. Window focus issues, unexpected behaviors for reason "X", redundant info displayed, etc are all dependent upon a unified philosophy, or the lack thereof.

Many other examples exist. For instance, if rolling the mouse over empty inserts in the Mixer displays "Empty", then why not in the Project Channel Edit window? And so on. (Of course, most/all of us think it is not better.)

In my opinion, this is the root issue with the Mixer complaints. Addressing individual preferences one at a time will never be able to correct the bigger problem

Alright then! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. And Dear SB employees. I have great respect for your efforts and use Nuendo to good effect daily. Please notice that this is posted here on the SB forum, not complaining on GS. I/we appreciate you considering my/our thoughts and suggestions.
by Getalife2
Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pro Tools vs Nuendo

As soon as Nuendo is back to a visually "quiet", useful mixer GUI like ProTools (or every Nuendo-version up to 5.x) I will consider upgrading again. :evil:

Session data import, floating volume faders, automation data overlay, and especially the possibility to expand a mono track to stereo (or more) by means of a plug-in are other PT-features I'm waiting for a long time.
by Dietz
Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The problem with the new mixer

This may the best example of what I mean to say:
Project track: Record button is on the Left, Monitor on the Right
Mixer channel: Record button is on the Right, Monitor is on the Left

You are quite right - It is little things like this that raise the stress levels slightly.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely right, ...
and together with poor labeling, this hovering stuff and what ever else ...
this irritating, illogical and simply weird accident of a mixer is
raising .. the .. S T R E S S .. L E V E L S .. a .. LOT.

Just get rid of it .... :!:

Big K
by Big K
Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please update the Audio-engine to x64bit double precisio

You seem to miss out that it actually effect the audio. :)

Lol. :) I mix in a product that has switchable 64-bit dsp and I would challenge anyont to pick between the two modes in a legitimate blind test. I never even turn it on. I have very good monitors and a Lavry Black DAC and i can't hear the difference in using it's 32-bit float engine vs the 64-bit float mix engine mode and i suspect most people claiming it sounds better can't either.

Every change in math "affects" the audio in some way. The question is if you can you actually hear it. I've yet to see anyone prove they can hear it in a legitimate listening test.

If you find those results - a legit blind test where somebody choose the 64-bit float engine as better, with results exceeding pure chance - let me know. Until then it's just ... "more must be better, because, well, it's more". :)

And I'm certainly no expert but reading your comments you clearly don't understand the difference between 64-bit floating point resolution for mixing, 64-bit plugins, and 64-bit operating systems. Your kinda mixing them all up. :)
by Audiocave
Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic