Search found 17 matches

Return

Re: come on steinberg a list of issues resolved in c7.5 PLEA

Well . . .

It's not looking good for one of my MOST hoped for fixes:
Mixer Focus/Key Command issue.

Figured they'd have it nailed with the tighter integration between Project and Mixer window but . .

Noticed a post in the Nuendo Forum where Timo says the Mixer/Key Command issue MAY be fixed in the planned 2nd Qtr '14 Nuendo 6.5 release . .

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=194&t=50956&start=25#p311816

Oh well . .

Hugh
by HughH
Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MCU Functions Expanded in 7.5

I'm thrilled.

The entire built in strip is available.
Most input settings (input/output bus, gain, phase)
Monitor per channel on/off.
All 4 cue mixes.

Since they used what were the "page" buttons for new functions the "channel" buttons beneath the "Bank" buttons now step through multi page menus.

Fader group buttons work great with this generic remote setup . . .

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=38442&start=50#p300942

. . . though you have to modify it a bit for "visibility configuration" now. It actually gives you MORE flexibility since you can use some of them - if you like - them for other functions now - not locked to 8 fader banks.

Focus/Key Command thing is not fixed but now - since you have separate visibility settings in Project AND Mixer - it makes a bit more sense . .

Hugh
by HughH
Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: (7.5) Mackie MCU protocol (channel shift doesn't work)

Too bad... when 7 came out mcu users also had to wait I while because it didn't work, and now again they broke it.
Please fix soon Steinberg. Do a nice mcu update so our machine works again. thanks

I'm shocked at this thread!
MCU implementation is SO improved in 7.5 I got goose bumps when I discovered it!

Bank buttons don't work anymore (shift only 1) and channel does nothing, on my Mackie Control.

The channel buttons are now "page" buttons for multi page menus (used to be the top leftmost 2 buttons, but they now have new functions).
If you use "shift" with the bank buttons they alternate between BanK and Channel jumps.

Also : EQ works different, but I like it, bands on and off now with button push.

Yep, and I love it, too. Push to Alternate between Freq and Q - Push gain to turn band on and off. Brilliant. Everything on 8 knobs.

Setting FX send levels is messed up, now sets send output,
and if you fiddle around with what used to be send, you see the relatively new channel strip inserts flashing by, with no abillity to use them though.

FX sends are now accessed with what used to be the "Page Up" button - the one on the top right. Depending on how many (if any) extenders you have you can page through things with (what was) the "channel" buttons.
Shift press on the same button gives you ""send 1" for all channels - and with subsequent shift presses you toggle through all 8. The "send" button down near the Read/Write buttons allows you to tweak the effects.
Shift press this same button allows setting the Cue mix levels for each channel - again, subsequent shift presses toggles through each of the 4 cue mixes.

The bottom right of those 6 upper left buttons (used to be sends, I think) now allows complete control of the built in "strip" effects. The left knob (#1) scrolls through the effects. Knob 2 bypasses. Knob 3 chooses the Processor (like vintage, tube, etc). Then page 2 (using the old channel buttons) brings up all the controls for the selected unit.

Still no way to assign mixer view configurations to F buttons or fader group buttons

This Generic Remote setup . . .
. . . works better than dedicated fader bank because you can assign anything if you only want - say - 4 banks available.
You'll need to alter the commands in the XML file to match the new function name - this can be done right on the Devices page - but I have it working excellent in both the project and Mix Console windows. It works on whichever window has focus.

In addition to all of that fun . .
The upper right button (used to be page down) now controls input/output bus, gain, and phase as well as "monitor" status for all channels. Use the old "channel" buttons to page through functions. I also noticed it will hold the selected page when you come back to it (like "monitor", for me).

Ther's more and I've probably missed some stuff but . . .
Kudos to SB for this functionality. I'm lovin it!

Hugh
by HughH
Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MCU Functions Expanded in 7.5

I ran across an "issue report" about how MCU functions have been screwed up in 7.5.
Not at All! They are much improved on my system!

So I thought I'd re-post my reply over there just in case anyone was having the same issues (or thought they were).

New Stuff:

1. The channel buttons are now "page" buttons for multi page menus (used to be the top leftmost 2 buttons, but those now have new functions).
If you use "shift" with the bank buttons they alternate between Band and Channel jumps.

2. EQ page has changed for the better. Everything on 8 knobs. Push first knob to Alternate between Freq and Q - Push gain knob to turn band on and off. Brilliant.

3. FX sends are now accessed with what used to be the "Page Up" button - the one on the top right (of the six upper left). Depending on how many (if any) extenders you have you can page through Level, on/off, Pre/Post with (what was) the "channel" buttons.
Shift press on the same button (old "page up") gives you ""send 1" for all channels - and with subsequent shift presses you toggle through all 8.

4. The "send" button down near the Read/Write buttons allows you to tweak the effects - but shift press this same button allows setting the Cue mix levels for each channel - again, subsequent shift presses toggles through each of the 4 cue mixes.

5. The bottom right of those 6 upper left buttons (used to be sends, I think) now allows complete control of the built in "strip" effects. The left knob (#1) scrolls through the effects. Knob 2 bypasses. Knob 3 chooses the Processor (like vintage, tube, etc). Then page 2 (using the old channel buttons) brings up all the controls for the selected unit.

6. The "Bank Select" buttons have no function as is - but this Generic Remote setup . . .
. . . works better than dedicated fader bank because you can assign anything if you only want - say - 4 banks available.
You'll need to alter the commands in the XML file to match the new function name - this can be done right on the Devices/Generic Remote page in Cubase - I have it working excellent in both the Project and Mix Console windows. It works on whichever window has focus.

7. The upper right button (of the 6 - used to be page down) now controls input/output bus, gain, and phase as well as "monitor" status for all channels. Use the old "channel" buttons to page through functions. I also noticed it will hold the selected page when you come back to it (like "monitor", for me).

Ther's more and I've probably missed some stuff but . . .
Kudos to SB for this functionality. I'm lovin it!

Hugh
by HughH
Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A quick note . .

For those using an actual MCU Pro or XT Pro version 4.0 or higher there is a firmware update available to v 4.03.

http://www.mackie.com/products/mcupro/

Ran across it by accident searching for something else.

It's supposed to improve/smooth fader operation and a couple other things.
Edit: Wow! Updated all 3 of my units and it DEFINITLY smooths fader operation. Like you oiled them or something . . .

Don't you love it when a company continues to improve a product that already ROCKS?
RME comes to mind, also . . . .

And, OH! Wait!
STEINBERG!

Hugh
by HughH
Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: With upgrades it is an issue of economics

I don't quite understand your position.

Yes there are things that hold their value. Guitars are an excellent example.

But there are many more things that do not: Your car, cell phone, computer, many appliances, etc.

As Technology marches on these things become obsolete or worn out.
This march of Technology, however, provides us with AMAZING capabilities that many could not afford or simply didn't exist in the past.

Perhaps a little off topic - but I become tired of hearing people complain about the cost of software and upgrades.
Designing, Programming, and marketing of software is EXPENSIVE!
I'm honestly amazed that companies like Steinberg can develop and continue to improve their products - mind numbingly complex constructions of a zillion interrelated functionalities - for as low a cost to users as they do . . . especially in as small a market as Music/Audio production is. This is not like Washing Machines, you know.

Particularly for professionals, like myself, the cost of Cubase - or even Nuendo - is miniscule. If you're a casual home user, you have to pay for your toys - or buy less expensive ones.

Hugh
by HughH
Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2 Monos to Stereo

spyder wrote:From my turntable I will bring two separate left and right signals of the stereo into 2 mono inputs on an RME Fireface 800, then (presumably) into two tracks on Cubase.

Are there Turntable inputs on the Fireface?

Or do you have a separate RIAA EQ Pre?
by HughH
Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Would be great to be able to edit the quick controls too, so if you know the command/function to bring them up on the MCU display it would be great.
Btw, I could maybe do it the opposite way - [shift+Master], which bring you the VSTi QC, also opens the vsti GUI...

If you turn off "Set Remote Control Focus for VST Quick Controls" - the little button to the lower right of the Instrument on the VST Instruments panel - and make sure "Remote Control Focus follows Track Selection" on the drop down menu (upper right - same panel) is Off then Shift/Master will take you to the Track Quick Controls.

Switching the "focus" button on and off will instantly take you back and forth between Track and VST QCs.

Hugh
by HughH
Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mackie Control Fader Group Buttons in Cubase 7

yeah hughh, channel buttons are now page up down.
that makes sense.

that doesn't change the fact that most users dont use mainly channel left right, but fader bank left right.

the new mackie implementation is great otherwise.

that's why changing to the old mackie behavior isn't really an option.

Not sure you understand.
Using "shift" once with the Bank buttons makes them Bank buttons again - as you say most users want.
After that using Shift with the Bank buttons makes them - temporarily, I think - single channel buttons - if needed.
by HughH
Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi track no sound

Yea Lets all report this, its quite a major issue. Especially for anyone running complex sessions. Lets say tired and doing early morning bounces, they could miss some vital data.

EDIT: I have logged this with support I suggest you all do the same so it will receive immediate attention. Thanks

I just sent support the following Book Length (brevity was never my strong point) support request:

This has been documented Here: <http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=55476&p=337905#p337218> by myself and here <http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=55548#p337643> by myself and others.

As I wrote, I have a project where I was doing a lot of freezing and unfreezing. At a point after unfreezing, one of the Instrument Tracks would not play back it's MIDI data.
I could put the track in record and play the VSTi (EWQL Play). I could open the MIDI editor and sound notes by selecting them. I could record new MIDI data into the track (hearing it while recording.
But nothing would play back.
I found a workaround by copying the MIDI data from the VSTi track into a new MIDI track - and pointing it to the original Instrument Track.

After posting my issue, I discovered a number of other users having similar issues - including several very experienced long time users (like myself). In their cases it had nothing to do with Freezing - or even Instrument Tracks. MIDI Tracks - seemingly randomly - stop playing, displaying the same characteristics I experienced (live playback. Editing playback, but no linear playback).
This might seem a minor - though irritating issue.
However, if one has to check every offline mixdown from end to end to assure everything's there . . or listen several times, intently, to complex projects to assure all the parts are playing before rendering -and again after - never sure when something subtle might go missing . . then it becomes a serious problem.

Is Steinberg aware of this issue?
Is there any known trigger that could be avoided until a fix?
Would you like me to send you my project (seems very project related)?

In my case the project was begun in 7.5.10 and has remained on the same DAW throughout.

Looking forward to your timely response!

Thanks!
Hugh
by HughH
Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Add Audio Track

You can also just double click on an empty area of the channel stack (project window) and it will add a track of the same type currently selected.

Hugh
by HughH
Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5.20

you loose the multitimbral functionality. For each channel you need a different dll. I know there is a workaround for that, but my IQ isn't high enough to take that into account.

Not sure what you mean by this.

I'm a new VEPPER (v5) but I can use as many outputs as any VSTi provides with a single instance inside VEP5 (Kontakt, Play4, etc).
You click the little plus sign on the first output and another is created - from the same DLL.

Hugh
by HughH
Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How much compression do lights indicate on STRIP COMPRES

One thing I was quite happy to see in v7 was the gain reduction meters in the Mix Console meter bridge.

Reduction is indicated with a downward red line that may be accurate in terms of DB.

In any case it's bigger and easier to see across your entire mix than the little "LEDs" in the strip.

Hugh
by HughH
Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Track Color/Q-Link

Agreed. I haven't found any way to color multiple tracks at once.
If someone could enlighten?

Took my own advice (sometimes) and RTM.

You can color multiple similar or similar selected tracks at once by right clicking on the first of them (already colored) and selecting from a drop down context menu. Haven't tried it yet.

I know this does not solve the Q-Link thing but it's an option.

Hugh
by HughH
Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Folder tracks in the mixer window?

If you put the group of tracks you want in a folder - the folder shows in the visibility pane. Clicking the dot to the left of this folder will hide or show all the tracks at once.
by HughH
Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: One little feature question regarding 7.5.20

You can add a dedicated (extra) controlroom in VST connections (F4)
I¨m afraid you're wrong. What your arrow is pointing at the the Control Room Activation button . Deactivate it and your have no Control Room at all. It does not give you an extra Control Room.

Of cause you can activate a second mixer, if you care to have your screens littered with mixers. I don't.

Maybe delta was referring to adding another Control Room under the "devices" menu.
That's what I do.
No need to have additional mixers. The independent CR is completely sizable -leave you mixer meters intact.

Hugh
by HughH
Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

I really like the new Control Room interface. I much prefer "real"-looking sliders over the "in-meter" ones used before. Very nice touch to add an old-style knob for the Control Room Level. It really makes us old-timers feel at home.

+1, though I was not a big "Hater" of the "old new" control room.

The knob and sliders are nice - but to me the biggest improvement is the button groupings.
Now like functions are grouped together and much easier to pick out at a glance - both to click (though I use the MCU mostly) and to see current states.

Good work!

Hugh
by HughH
Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic