Search found 12 matches

Return

Re: Collaborating with others on different versions

I collaborate with 3 other people on many projects, two of them use Artist and the other uses an iPad. That latter can only open projects and has to export new recordings as WAV to us, so we'll ignore that one straight off! But the other two are 100% compatible with my full version provided I don't use any feature they haven't got, which isn't really that much at all, mostly a few plugins. So it works well for us, and we've never had any problems at all. I believe they started with Elements but upgraded to get the Lanes feature for multiple takes and comping.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Collaborating with others on different versions

Hiya,

I'm pretty sure that C7 files will open on C6 versions and vice versa, the only issue I can see arising is if you're using any full version only features, but if you take this into consideration when you prepare the project for sharing it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Have a squizz at the product comparison page on the Steinberg website and see if there's anything that you'll need to be aware of.

Cheers,

PC
by Paul Coyle
Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C7.5 Multithread processing performance experience?

Why do so many people seem to think the AISO meter indication is any thing to do with the CPU meter in windows?

Hippo

Well I'll quote myself from the post I made in this very thread:

J-S-Q "And yes... I know, the ASIO METER IS NOT A CPU METER because this is the (unhelpful) response that is always posted when this issue is raised. But WHAT EXACTLY is the bottleneck here?"

Well done for being yet another person to post this unhelpful response. Now please explain EXACTLY what it is that is causing Cubase to run out of steam when there is still a lot of CPU power left. Or please explain why, on the same computer, Vienna Ensemble can apparently run 12 instances of Altiverb with no problem when Cubase can only cope with 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsY_5jUoutw
by J-S-Q
Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OC'ed? Yes. The i7 990X is basically a CPU sold for that purpose, only.

Second hint: My tests included a full round of stock conditions trials, following exactly the same methodology. Absolutely the same effect observed. Just at different capacity levels. Again, please excuse my brevity here, as I said I have a good amount of documented evidence of my tests. So can tell you OC'ing did not influence the overall observation.

In return, could I now be humored and explain what kind of mysterious trouble OC'ing may cause? Is that what you've heard or is it your personal experience? I'm not trying to be a prick, I'd just much prefer to speak in clear(er) terms that can lead us, the conversation, this thread, to somewhere helpful and meaningful.
by Gusfmm
Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This topic has been discussed quite a bit lately. You may find some additional food for thought here:

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=52987

I share my thoughts on it, as well.

The short answer to the question is that there is an inherent battle, competing forces, between an architecture that's been built to favor low-latency, and one that's built to "schedule audio tasks" across multiple processors (cores). Each DAW does it differently. Cubase's roots in the low-latency end of this spectrum is why those of us who favor more plugins over low-latency, are feeling unsatisfied.

There are other DAWs that have chosen a different design, that suffer less, but more in other areas and vice versa. Cubase was second in my test of DAWs I own (in multi-core scaling).

VEP on the same machine circumvents the issues because it gets its own cores to work with and has a different audio engine design than Cubase.

Cubase's anwser to all this is ASIO Guard. Clearly, not as aggressive as many of us would like, but it's version 1.0.

Hopefully, awareness, like these posts, will bump it up on their priority list.

I think the future is definitely one that requires ASIO Guard to be in a "Reaper" ballpark of how it schedules audio slices across cores and makes more use of modern, multi-core CPUs. Cubase does use them, but is hampered by its ASIO, ultra-low-latency roots.
by Jalcide
Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Changing Sample and bit Rate on existing project

If you convert the sample rate it will not after the conversion sync with your midi track(s)

The only solution is to bounce your midi tracks to audio before you convert them all to a higher rate.

Hope this will help !
by mbr
Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Loss of Midi Sync when Converting Project Sample Rate

Hi, I observe something in this thread that repeatedly happens here: Someone Posts a "complaint" about a certain behaviour. The replies say that things work as expected. So far so good. Most often things to a degree "escalate" into a "attack and defense" mode where both sides stop to discuss in a productive way.

In the current thread one could ask: If sample rate conversion is a function in cubase (and yes, it is for good reasons), wouldn't it be a really nice solution to "convert everything in the affected Project" in a consistent way?

There is neither Need for attack nor reason for defending something only because it is done in a certain way or not.

I think sometimes it would help to see the nice ideas in the complaints.

Just my 2 Cents worth.

Ernst
by Elien
Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can Someone explain VCA faders to me please?

Kids these days...

No, VCAs are not about summing and summing engines.

VCAs are about control.
Film orchestra example:

Orchestra recording, when mixing I want to be able to set all the tracks individually, but at the same time balance 1st violins, 2nd violins, violas, cellos, contrabass and decca tree. And I may also need to control the 1st, 2nd and violas as a unit, and cellos and contras as another, and ALSO. Control the level of the recorded contra basses together with the overdubbed synth bass, but I obviously want to keep the actual sounds separate as they go to different stems but the control needs to be related.
Mixing it down to many groups is unecessary and limiting. I may need one strings stem and one synth stem so I don't want them mixed. But I DO need the control.

Pop example:
Bgvox, I want to be able to control the BGvox on one fader, but the processing may be widely different, and I do not want to limit myself artistically by mixing them down using a group. I may also want to control the level of the BGvox together with the synth vocoder so the balance stays the same, but I do not want to mix them.

I may want to control the level of all thrums, acoustic and electronic at the same time, but without mixing them.

And no, links and groups does not do the same thing. You may think it does, but it does not.

Maybe it's only old farts like me that have used real large scale hardware consoles that all had VCAs that fully appreciate the functionality, and if it is true that it is coming in the next gen release, I will be very happy.

I promise that when you truly understand VCAs, you do not want to mix without them (although you can, I have made it without them for a long time, but have missed them all the time).
VCAs is one of the few things I envy the implementation of in PT.
by ErikG
Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Maximise the project window on dual monitor set up

Unless Cubase provides that facility separate from the OS, you will have to either:
a) Use a Cubase workspace to save the manual dimensioning.
b) If you have an AMD card, you can use Eye-finity to specify a virtual screen out of two or more monitors.
c) Use a third-party program that does that sort of function.
by Patanjali
Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ASIO Question (Windows)

Release driver in background will allow whichever program is in focus to play audio.

If you want to actually play audio from both simultaneously then you need to go to windows sound/your soundcard/properties/advanced and untick "Allow programs to take exclusive control of this device".

Not sure how or if that affects ASIO stability though.
by Grim
Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where are the C8 Sample Projects?

No... you do exactly what I described and go into the Rock Pop Toolbox.
and you'll find the PROJECTS folder there with the content.

Not just loops and samples!

There's 29 individual Allen Morgan example projects there.

On Windows...
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound

But the files are packed in what is probably an NTFS File Stream so you need to use Mediabay to get at them.
by fretthefret
Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Upgrade to 8 potential problem - Maybe

Hello Valmundo,

as long as the version from which you are upgrading is correct, you can activate the product.
It will be Grace Period updated to 8. I'm moving this to the Presales Forum later on.

Best,
by Fabio Bartolini
Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic